When Two Became One

Soft padding of footsteps from a little girl could be heard in the apartment. The little girl pushed a door open, another little girl no more than six was seen sleeping peacefully. Well, she was until she felt a presence of the other by her bedside. “Clary, go back to bed.”

Clary jumped on the bed and laid on top of the girl. “But Kazzie!” Clary whined to her sister. “The sky’s awake, so I’m awake. We have to play!”

Kazzie smiled into her pillow before pushing her twin off. “Go play by yourself.” 

The youngest of the two landed on the floor with a small thump. Clary thought of what to say when the perfect idea sprouted in her mind. “Do you wanna make lightning bugs?”

Opening one eye, Kazzie knew she couldn’t say no. Clary knew that too.

—-------

Giggles of two little girls could be heard, both of them shushing the other so they didn't wake up their mother.

“Do the magic! Do the magic!” The youngest whispered.

The eldest’s hands made a circle motion. Green magic twisted between her fingers before sprouting a handful of fireflies. The fireflies -more commonly known to the twin as lighting bugs- fluttered around the two. 

“Make them dance Kazzie!” Clary shook her arm. Smiling, Kazzie complayed to Clary's request and began to manipulate them to the best of her ability. 

The two little redheads continued to play with the magic. Both in their own little world, knowing that nothing could come between the two. Kazzie used her magic to float some of the furniture around the house. An idea that she would regret when Clary jumped on to one. “Clary, be careful.” Kazzie lowered the chair a small bit, but her sister didn't care and jumped to the next one.

In a panic, Kazzie dropped the chair that she jumped from to focus more of her energy onto where her sister was going. She only just discovered her magic about seven months ago and she was still trying to master control. However, Clary didn’t seem to notice the stress her sister was under. Clary began to jump faster and faster, making Kazzie use more power and causing her scales to become more noticeable.

“Faster! Faster!” Clary yelled.

“Clary, slow down!” Kazzie begged onto fallen ears. Struggling to make sure she wouldn’t get hurt. Yet with all her focus set on her twin, she failed to see a crimp in the rug behind her. Kazzie tripped onto her back, cutting off her eye contact of the floating table holding up Clary. 

The table lost its green glow. Clary screamed as she fell. Kazzie jolted her head up and shot out her hand, hoping it could stop the fall, but she didn’t. Something sharp flew out of her hand in the chaos. Slicing Clary from under her jaw up to her ear. 

“Clary!” Kazzie scrambled up and ran to her sister as she lay motionless on the kitchen tile. Blood dripped onto the floor. “Clary, wake up. Wake up!” The six year old shook her twin, hoping to get a response, but nothing. Tears in her eyes, she pulled her sister’s body in her arms and shouted. “Mommy! Mommy help, it’s Clary!” 

Jocelyn Fairchild, now known as Jocelyn Fray, ran to her daughters and froze in the doorway. “Kassidy, what did you do?”

“I didn’t mean it!” Kassidy told her mom. “We were just playing with my magic!”

“What have I told you about using it around Clarissa!” The former shadowhunter shouted at her before holding up her Stele to the wound to rune a iratze. But, was shocked when it glowed green before bleeding out faster.

“Get your shoes on, now!” Jocelyn shouted at her eldest, while lifting the bleeding child out of the young warlock’s hands. Kassidy ran to grab her sandals and followed her Mother out the door. Not knowing where she was taking her sister, but trusting her anyway.