When One Becomes Two

Clary's reaction to Kassidy stepping towards her was involuntary. It was something her body did by itself and boy did she regret it. Seeing the expression on her sister's face that was filled with nothing but pain and rejection. Yet she didn't get to think about it for long when Izzy walked past her to give the blonde warlock a hug.

"Thank angel you're okay." Izzy said, squeezing her tight.

Kas was appreciative of the girl's ability to change the mood of the room. "Of course I'm okay, this is me we're talking about." She pulled back but left her hands on Belle's shoulders.

"That doesn't inspire much confidence." Alex took a step forward, going to hug her as well.

"That hurts, Xander." She pouted into the hug, playing along.

"The truth hurts." He responded with a teasing smile.

Finally pulling away, Kas turned to look at her boyfriend. She took a step forward to embrace him, but stopped mid-step when she saw Jace clench his jaw and refused to make eye contact with her. Once again, her stomach dropped and her heart felt tight.

Clary she could understand, they've been apart for most of their lives, but Jace. She couldn't comprehend why he was acting the way he was when the Lightwoods were all buddy-buddy with her. She wanted to confront him, but she knew that would have to wait. Clearing her throat, Kassidy turned to her father. "Even if most of the warlocks escaped, Valentine knows our location. We need to move."

Magnus, knowing how much his daughter was suffering at the moment, gave her a look before complying to her request. "Hold tight, everyone, we're about to move." He claps his hands as a blue glow surrounds his palms. It only took a second before the building began to shake. Once it came to a stop, the older warlock looked at the mess that littered the penthouse.

"Ah, much better." He turns around. "Ugh, it's inevitable. After each move, I get the itch to redecorate. Normally, I love a dirty lair, but this one is just sloppy." Magnus puts his foot on the table, flipping it back in place. He ignores the sound of disgust Kas made and glances over at Alec, who looks puzzled as he walks past.

Not getting the reaction he wanted out of the brunette archer, turned to Izzy. "I believe in payment for services rendered. Thank you for defending the warlocks." He held up the ruby.

"I couldn't." Isabelle told him, even though it was clear she really wanted the jewel.

"Oh, but you could." The older warlock corrected. "And you should. The Lightwoods have been wearing this for years. Besides, this would look silly on your brother." As he clasps it around her neck, he leans in and whispers. "About Alec, is he more of a flower or a cologne man?"

Clary, wanting to find her mom as soon as possible, began asking questions. "Okay, so how do we find this memory demon?"

"Like most demons, they have to be summoned." Kas, trying to keep everything professional, answered as she picked up one of the bigger books from the shelf.

"I can summon the demon, but you must make the demand." Magnus tells Clary. "Now, I warn you... retrieving your memories will not be easy. Summoning such a powerful demon could be lethal."

With a gulp, the red-head agreed. "I will do what I have to do to save my mother."

"Okay. Pretty boy, get your team ready." The older Bane held out his hand, towards the two other boys in the room.

Jace, thinking it was him he was referring too, went to move. "You know what to do."

Scoffing lightly, Magnus held him back. "I'm not talking to you. I'm talking to..." His attention went to Alec. "...you." Alec's cheeks turned pink as a dopey smile appeared, but it vanished into confusion as he shrugged at Jace when he gave him a look.