Small Trinkets of Time

The three walked back into the Police Station, pulling up the elevators in the main lobby.

"So, I was promised a great plan." Clary taunted, glancing around to make sure no one was watching them.

"We'll head up towards the vault." Jace pushed the button for the lift. "Alec and Izzy are handling the rest. All we have to do is wait for their signal...and grab the Cup."

At the ding, signaling the elevator had arrived, the doors opened to relieve Alaric going over a few files. Quickly, Kas took hold of the two Shadowhunters and forced them to hide behind the wall to the left. They all let out a small breath when the man walked to the right.

Peeking from her spot from behind the wall, Clary followed the man with her eyes. "He's on our side."

"He locked you in a shipping container."

The younger twin cocked her head, following her sister in the lift. "Good point."

Once all three of them were in, Jace leaned over to press the big red button on the control panel. Forcing the lift to jerk to a stop.

"What now?" The redhead wanted to know what came next in the 'amazing' plan that the blonde Shadowhunter promised. "We're supposed to climb the elevator shaft and waltz in the vault unnoticed?"

At her little joke the couple glanced at one another, liking the idea. Showing his famous smirk, Jace stood on his toes a bit as he popped a ceiling panel over. "Now, why didn't I think of that?"

Thinking that he was joking, Clary laughed only for her to cut herself off at the face Kassidy was making. "Wait, he's kidding, right?"

"He's not." Kas popped her lips. Only then to go through Jace's jacket pocket and pull out his stele. Tossing it up in the air only for Jace to snag it before it landed back into her palm.

"Don't take my stele." He pointed it at her. "You always find a way to break it."

If they weren't fighting, Kassidy would tease him about all the ones he broke while she only broke the one. But they were fighting, probably the worst one they have ever been. And even though she could tell he wanted her to tease him like they were fine, they weren't.

"Fine." Kas spun on her heel, doing her best to ignore how Jace seemed to deflate. "Bag." She demanded holding her hand out for Clary's belongings. Not thinking much of it, the redhead handed her sister her things. "Jacket."

"You want to tell me what's going on in that head of yours." Clary poked fun, discarding the outer layer away.

Digging into her sister's bag, she fetched her stele, tossing it back to Clary who fumbled with it before clutching it to her chest. "That you really need to study 'The Great Book'."

The twin's eyebrow pinched before looking at Jace for an explanation, who graciously gave it to her. "Remember the binoculars?"

"Yeah..." She didn't see how it was relevant.

Adjusting his collar, the blonde Shadowhunter showed her what rune she needed to draw. "This one's a Nyx rune. It's like night vision. You can copy mine. You got it?"

"Yeah." Clary shifted the stele in her hands, still not fully understanding what the two meant. "Why do I need night vision?"

"Carrot Cake." Kassidy sighed, knowing that her sister was smarter than that. "Why does your military have night vision goggles?"

"To see in the dar-oh." It suddenly dawned on her. "I'm not going to like this plan, am I?"

"Nope." Spinning on her heel, Kas whipped out her phone when she felt it buzz in her pocket.