š’Æš‘œ š’©š‘’š“Œ šµš‘’š‘”š’¾š“ƒš“ƒš’¾š“ƒļæ½...

By o_Iridescent_o

š»š’¶š“‡š“‡š“Ž š’«š‘œš“‰š“‰š‘’š“‡ š¹š’¶š“ƒš’»š’¾š’øš“‰š’¾š‘œš“ƒ: š’Ŗš’ž š‘€š’¶š’¾š“ƒ š’žš’½š’¶š“‡š’¶š’øš“‰š‘’š“‡ š™±šš˜šš˜šš” š™¾šš—ššŽ šš˜šš ššƒšš‘ššŽ šš‚... More

š•‹š•™š•– š•Šš•™š•’š•”š•œš•š•–š•• š•Šš•–š•£š•šš•–š•¤
š“˜ š“‘š“®š“°š“²š“· š“š“½ š“£š“±š“® š“”š“·š“­š“²š“·š“°
August 19th, 1993
August 20th, 1993
August 31st, 1993
September 1st, 1993
September 1st, 1993
September 1st, 1993
September 1st, 1993
September 2nd, 1993
September 6th, 1993
September 9th, 1993
September 9th, 1993
October 16th, 1993
October 31st, 1993
November 5th, 1993
December 18th, 1993
December 19th, 1993
January 2nd, 1994
January 16th, 1994
February 6th, 1994
February 25th, 1994
March 16th, 1994
March 19th, 1994
April 2nd, 1994
June 3rd, 1994
June 6th, 1994
June 8th, 1994
š”¹š• š• š•œ š•‹š•Øš• 

October 28th, 1993

41 5 16
By o_Iridescent_o

𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒯𝒽𝒾𝓇𝓉𝑒𝑒𝓃

Theodore Nott was a simple boy. For nearly fourteen years, he slid under the radar... for the most part. He faded into the background just about everywhere he went and preferred it that way.

There were the occasional moments in the spotlight. Times when he couldn't just fade into the background. Those typically came with his father's parties. Rare, but they happened. He would take a moment to show off his son. "Theodore, top of his class." "Theodore never had a detention." "Theodore, stunning reports in his Potions class."

There were also the few people that paid him extra attention. People that could get little out of the boy and yet still seemed to linger their gaze or make attempts at conversation. Tracey Davis being the most notable, her flustered attitude with him appearing right around when they were partnered in Potions the year prior. Her friends were also in this category, continually teasing the girl in the most obvious of ways over any moment the boy addressed the girl.

And for nearly fourteen years, that was it. A few moments in the spotlight and an almost nonexistent list of people paid the boy a second look.

Then the Blackwell came along. Her unfair beauty being so easy and confident that one simply had to turn her way. Her sickeningly calming voice always looking to fill the world, drawing in anyone able to listen. Her unnatural eyes, carrying powers that demanded an audience.

Everything about her brought people in, for she was a Blackwell. A name that Theodore knew the history behind. A name that Theodore knew the power of. A name that Theodore knew to never mess with.

Which is why he was, of course, the one stuck with her. And in turn, her inhuman ability to grab any and all attention.

What Theodore Nott would have given to lose the girl...

~~~~~~

"Happy Birthday, Nott."

It was merely a formality, a thing you just say because one's day of birth is undoubtedly a thing to celebrate.

And yet, every time someone congratulated the boy, he seemed to grow that much more distant. Iris had noticed it when she said the same thing to the boy. Seeing the way he flinched back as if just reminded of a terrible event.

Tracey seemed just as aware of the fact, her doe-like eyes sad and locked on the boy all of breakfast.

"Iris, when we go to Hogsmeade, you've gotta go into the Shrieking Shack with me," said Valeria, "Sally says that she isn't dumb enough to be the main character in a horror film."

Iris moved her gaze from her book, "I'm not going this trip."

Sally shot her head towards Iris, exclaiming, "But it's the first one!"

Iris shrugged, eyes returning to her book, "I never got my slip signed."

"As if you care about the rules. Come on, Iris, you could probably sneak out. We would help," the two other girls nodded, clearly already thinking up plans.

Iris brought her eyes back up for a moment, "The teachers will be gunning for me on Hogsmeade trip days. And besides, I'm not really feeling up for much adventure right now."

The girls eyed their roommate for a moment but ultimately left it. Leaving the duo of Iris Blackwell and Theodore Nott to their breakfast.

Iris half-reading a book, her usual morning pep lost as she studied the boy on her left.

Theodore, stabbing the waffle once more as Millicent Bulstrode called out yet another, "Happy Birthday."

~~~~~~

Iris and Theodore always left the Great Hall early when they had Charms first; after all, it was quite far, and fighting the crowd leaving the Hall all at once was a chore.

As they entered the empty halls, the duo began their walk towards the stairs.

Normally Iris would blabber on about who knows what, but that day the duo had an uncharacteristic silence in the air between them. And normally, Theodore Nott reveled in the quiet moments, not finding himself with nearly as many as he used to have.

But today was different.

Today the silence was maddening.

Theodore's hand clenched a bit tighter as the duo approached the stairs.

Normally Iris would be up for some form of excitement; she would be insistent on a race or taking a new route to class to search for secrets in the castle. And normally, Theodore would shoot her ideas down; after all, he was punctual and a perfect student.

But today was different.

Today the idea of class was suffocating.

Theodore hesitated once at the stairs.

Normally Iris would be on the prowl for trouble, her mind always thinking of ways to go against the monotony of day-to-day life. And normally Theodore—

Iris grabbed Theodore's wrist, startling the boy as she began a sprint away from the stairs, away from the responsibilities of the day.

The boy stumbled at first but, oddly, found himself quickly just going with the girl's whims.

Allowing himself one day where everything could be different.

~~~~~~

Getting outside of the castle was worryingly easy. All they had to do was rush to the courtyard and go out onto the grounds. No one stopped them. The teachers would be preparing for classes, and the dementors couldn't be everywhere. So within minutes, they were gone, hidden in the treeline of the forest.

Theodore had collapsed immediately, catching his breath. He wasn't in all that great of shape for such a skinny boy. And for someone who willingly allowed himself to be dragged out of school, he wasn't handling being a rebel all that well.

Theodore held his head in his hands, mumbling, "If my father hears about this, about me skipping class...."

Iris, who was occupied in hanging their school bags in the tree, smiled down to Theodore, "They aren't gonna call home for one absent day. And most people forget you even exist, including Malfoy."

Theodore rolled his eyes, "Oh, how comforting."

Looking off into the forest, Iris hummed, allowing the boy to finish collecting himself as she considered their next move.

A quick burst of wind rustled the forest as the green of Iris's eyes was pushed further and further to the edge by the cobalt blue fire.

"Hurry and get up, the walk is a bit far, and I would like to make it back by dinner." Iris turned her gaze back to Theodore as she playfully added, "And I will leave you to rot if you can't keep up."

And so Iris went, her long legs carrying her well out of sight within seconds, leaving her recovering companion to glare and hurriedly stand. Taking long strides, Theodore called out, "What happened to not feeling up for an adventure!"

Iris grinned, slowing her pace as the boy caught up, "Is it really an adventure if I know where our destination is?"

"Fine then, an excursion," Theodore exaggerated his words, "Is that better?"

A simple nod came from the girl, her attention constantly shifting from tree to tree, "Yes, I would agree with that one. After all, it means I wasn't lying about not being up for an adventure."

Theodore rose an eyebrow, taking a second to think. Eyes never wavering from in front of him as he considered his words, "Well no, an excursion and an adventure are close enough that I would give them the same meaning in this situation."

"I would argue that an adventure requires a bit more energy and drive, but I guess we can agree to disagree on this one." Theodore paused before he could say much else, thinking over her train of thought.

Iris's attention drifted, a silence lapsed between the two.

...

Theodore always thought that the quietest place was the corner of the library. Away from anyone and anything in the one area when silence was a rule.

But he was wrong, yep... the quietest place has to be that moment in the middle of a forest with a soft ground muffling any noise and just his own heartbeat.

Theodore Nott once more found himself clenching a fist.

...

Iris hummed as she spurred back to life, her attention turning back to Theodore, "I've always found the noises of nature to be the most calming in the world."

Theodore hesitated in his next step, stumbling a bit but making a quick recovery. Iris didn't take the time to comment on his misstep, instead just carrying on as usual, "Did you know that the Forbidden Forest is the only untouched magical hotspot of this size in Europe?"

Straightening up again, Theodore caught back up, "Untouched meaning...."

"That few are brave enough to go in, and your government doesn't deem it worth the effort of taking," her eyes twinkled, "Too much lives within, they can't just rush in and take as they have in other cases... and in simpler terms, it's easier to protect than take."

Theodore nodded absently as he took in the words, "How many are in America?"

"Five that can compare to the size of this forest, but many smaller areas. MACUSA isn't perfect, but they do protect anything in our world, especially nature."

Theodore nodded, then something seemed to click in his mind, "Let me guess, Riviera Forest is one of them."

The smile that crossed Iris's face at the words was... different. It was extraordinary how much joy seemed to spring into her eyes at what one could assume were memories. It was remarkable how special a smile could appear. And how wrong it seemed that no one had yet to see it, even her companion, who still could only seem to look forward.

"Yes..." Iris smiled while saying the word, an idea springing into her head as she bounded ahead of the boy once more. "I want to show you something."

Attention shooting toward the girl who suddenly took off to the right, Theodore rushed to keep up, "Shouldn't we finish our current excursion before we start another."

Iris called back, still bounding toward her new destination, "This is just a slight detour."

He rolled his eyes, "Of course."

...

Iris was up ahead, still in sight but too far for the two to comfortably carry on with conversation. Theodore once more found himself surrounded by silence, but he finally allowed his eyes to wander.

He did attempt to search for the noises of nature that so seemed to captivate the girl. He did look up into the trees, searching for a glimpse of life, of anything that could fill the void.

But before the lack of anything could really hit, Iris stopped walking... directly before a tree.

Granted, it was an interesting tree; what Yew Tree isn't fascinating to look at? They are truly odd feats of nature. They look as if multiple grew out of the same seed, all fighting for dominance but really just coming together to form a haunting sort of presence to stand tall over anyone who passed by.

But it was still just...

"A tree? You wanted to show me a tree?" That is Theodore Nott for you. When he isn't just completely apathetic... he really just seems completely and utterly exasperated.

Iris didn't seem to take any notice of the boy, instead looking up into the branches and smiling. "Come on, don't be shy. It's just Nott and me over there, and trust me, he is far less scary than I am."

Theodore scoffed, his lip quipping up faintly as he smiled as much as he could at the absurd sight before him, "Talking to trees now, Blackwell, you grow more mad by the day." Sometimes he could be funny though...

Still ignoring the boy, she continued her conversation with the tree, "The snarky attitude is just a cover, really he is just some reclusive loner. Lost his breath just running from the castle."

Theodore's face scrunched, "You—"

He stopped just as quick as he had begun. For a curious thing climbed down from the giant yew.

A stick bug?

No, stick bugs didn't stand upright, and this wasn't a stick bug.

This was green and stood on three thin legs. It had two arms, both of which had long needle-like fingers on the end. It had a head with two leaves sprouting from the top, flopping to the side. And... it had a face, eyes, and a mouth. Curious indeed.

"Is that a bow-truckle?"

Smiling, Iris reached her hand out towards the Bow Truckle, "A few families live in this tree, but Mugs here is the bravest."

The small creature narrowed its beady eyes towards the teen boy as it slowly climbed onto Iris's awaiting hand. Sizing up the newcomer.

Theodore raised an eyebrow at the glare, watching as Iris brought her hand down and turned to him, "He doesn't seem all that fond of me."

The tiny creature tilted its head at the comment, turning his beady eyes up to Iris, who took the open invitation. Mouth quipping, she said, "Can't blame him really. Not much to be all that fond of."

Ignoring the comment, the boy allowed his eyes to carry over the tree. Following as the trunk twisted and raveled around itself up into the mess of branches above. The arms wild as they stretched out. The needle-like leaves were sporadic and shared their spaces with little red berries.

"Yew trees are poisonous, aren't they?" Theodore asked, "Do bow-truckles pick them for that reason?"

Reaching her hand out towards the tree to allow the tiny creature to return home, Iris hummed, eyes scanning over the tree. "Bow truckles live in any tree that is capable of storing magic...." Iris paused as Theodore registered what that meant, "They are how wand makers determine which trees are suitable for wands, well novice ones, I suppose. According to experts, there are more subtle signs."

Iris smiled a bit to herself, glancing at Theodore, "My wand is yew wood, actually."

Theodore's eyes squinted as he considered that, but he quickly nodded, "Forgot, Blackwell's get specially made wands from birth. Not that you ever seem to use them much."

Letting out a quick laugh, Iris shook her head, "We get them on our first birthday actually," then playfully, "And you should be glad I never take the wand out. The first sign of real trouble is when a Blackwell takes out their wand after all."

Scoffing, Theodore took a step away from the tree, "Power is wasted on you."

Taking the hint, Iris began bounding away, ending their detour. Smiling wide, she called out, "I believe you meant power is safer with me."

~~~~~~

"Are we almost there? We've been walking for ages." Theodore wasn't wrong; the sun beamed down from about midway in the sky. And the effects of such a long walk were starting to show on the boy, his breathing shallower and speech breathy.

Iris, of course, seemed hardly affected, "Maybe if you weren't so slow, we would already be there."

Theodore scoffed, "Maybe if you didn't feel the need to look at everything that moves, we would already be there."

Turning for a moment, Iris smiled to her walking partner, "You know, Nott, it won't kill you to just stop and take things in from time to time," turning back around, she looked forward, "And we are almost there."

Looking forward, Theodore could see as the end of their journey approached the way the light seemed to shine brighter past the line of trees ahead. Picking up the pace, he focused. Intently waiting for whatever he was to see beyond the forest. He would never outright admit it... but Theodore Nott was certainly curious.

Iris broke through the line first, just up ahead by a few feet. He could see how she paused a few steps past the trees, staring off into the distance, focused on what he would soon see.

In just...

Two...

More...

Steps...

Theodore wasn't aware of the breath he sucked in as he, too, broke that treeline, but it was completely warranted. For beyond the trees was a view that suddenly made the cramp in his side and sore legs all worth it.

They stood on a cliff, empty for the most part. Just grass, a few flowers, and almost surreally... a willow tree. The tree was a daring thing. Upon the edge of the cliff, leaned over. Its roots are the only thing grounding it, struggling to postpone the dramatic death it will one day face. That tree had no right to be there, not in any reality, and yet it was. Content with spending the rest of its long life overlooking the world below.

An idea that wasn't difficult to get behind. For upon that cliff, one could see it all.

Most obviously was the castle, of course. Stood proud in the middle of everything. How could one not notice the castle? For centuries, it stood powerful and untouched by the outside world, hidden away for only the lucky to lay their eyes upon.

Yeah, you could see the castle, but that wasn't everything.

For upon that cliff, the willow tree could also see the Great Lake, the way the water was so perfectly calm. How well it hid the multitude of wonders inside, the only indication of abnormalities being a particularly suspicious dark spot in the middle, moving about.

That willow could see the grounds. The weeping willow that no parent had to know the existence of, swaying lazily in its own little dance. The Keeper's Hut, the cabin in its own world, a little pumpkin patch right outside the door.

And further beyond, the willow saw the sea of green. The forest carries over mountains and through valleys. It seemed endless. And it was all untouched. The mysteries inside are safe. Safe in that sea of green.

Iris had moved to the cliff's edge, sitting beside the willow tree. And yet when Theodore sat beside her, he noticed that the girl who had dragged him all this way to see the view had her eyes closed.

Tilting her chin upward for a moment, Iris took in a breath. Then she turned to Theodore, her eyes opening to reveal a fire of blue, green only there in faint memory. "It's better at night when the only light is the glow of the moon and the candles of the castle. You seemed like you needed a break immediately, though."

Theodore nodded as he glanced over the edge of the cliff; cringing, he lifted his feet up from where they once dangled. Then he looked out once more, eyes darting here and there, taking in everything as quick as possible.

Iris hummed as she eyed Theodore, her nose crinkling, "Nott, relaxing won't kill you; your mind racing a million thoughts a minute is ruining the moment."

He grumbled, "Maybe you could just stay out of my head. Anyone good at legilimency can turn it off."

Iris sighed dramatically, hardly taking the boy's words seriously, "If only it were legilimency... life would be so much simpler. Hearing Tracey go on and on about how pretty you are got gross from day one."

Shaking his head, Theodore responded lightly, "I can't stand you."

Iris just smiled to herself, moving her gaze back over the view. "Let's try something."

"That sounds like a free pass straight to the afterlife coming from you."

Letting out a bark of laughter, Iris shook her head, "Oh come on, have more faith in me." Taking in a breath and settling back down, she stressed her words, "Anyways, you need to relax for me to relax. Sooo... I am going to help you." Lifting her legs, Iris turned fully towards Theodore, settling to sit with her legs crossed.

Staring at the side of Theodore's head, she asked, "Please?"

Ignoring her, he stated, "I see my never-ending thoughts as payback for your never-ending mouth."

Smile still staying strong, she tried again, "But this will also be good for you. So, please... Theodore."

The boy shot his head in her direction. He went to say something as his face scrunched up but paused. For her stupid smile was too much. Turning back away, he muttered, "I hate Blackwells."

Smile growing wider, Iris wasted no time in beginning, "Okay, so first close your eyes."

"Oh, what, so you can walk away and leave me stranded," nonetheless, he did listen, his brown eyes cutting themselves off from the world.

Turning back to her original spot, Iris also allowed her eyelids to fall, "No comments allowed, Theodore. Just listen. You really need to listen now."

Pausing a second, Iris took in a breath, "Now you need to focus on your other senses. You need to just turn off your thoughts and allow yourself to just take it all in." Theodore's eyebrows furrowed, "Don't think about it. Just start with feeling. The way the grass is almost scratchy, and the way the dirt is cold. The way the wind lifts your hair. The way the sun heats your skin."

Theodore reached a hand down, placing it onto the grass, and his chin lifted, reaching for the sky and the heat he was supposed to feel. Iris had loosened her posture as she continued on, "Now smell, smell the flowers surrounding us. The willow tree, the—"

"I don't have your sense of smell," Theodore interrupted, lips quirking from something he knew.

Exaggerating just a slight bit, Iris apologized, "Well, I'm sorry you get to miss out, but just take in a breath. Smell the fresh air and whatever it is you are stuck with." He did as told, and his shoulders relaxed immediately.

Iris laid back, head hitting the ground softly, legs bent to avoid hitting the boy. "Now, after I stop speaking, you are going to just listen. To the leaves of the willow tree rustling and to the birds hidden in the branches." And then she stopped.

Sitting in the moment, Theodore did as told. Completely giving himself to the moment.

Giving in to the breeze. The birds. The grass. Everything.

"Blackwell," Iris hummed, urging the boy on, "Why me? I can guess it has to be because I just know everything, but I just want it confirmed."

Iris's eyes opened, staring up into the clear blue sky for a moment, "Yeah, you just really happened to be the lucky one. You don't push me for anything. Sure, because you know, but you don't push for more. Not consciously, at least."

The two resettled for a moment. Returning to the calm. Giving in to the breeze. The birds. The grass. Everything.

Taking in another deep breath, Theodore said, "Thank you, Iris."

And allowing her eyes to close again, Iris just smiled.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.8K 136 55
COMPLETED!!!! You are your own character, this is a Harry Potter related story about Draco Malfoy and you, you started with your third year at Hogwar...
420 7 10
As an Scamander, everyone expects from me to be just like my family, honest, humble, nice, kind, loving and caring, but when I got to hogwarts and in...
189K 4.3K 40
Okay, you have no IDEA how much time it took me to try and make up a title or write a description. Please, before reading this description, note that...
65.7K 2.4K 35
"š€š«šž š²šØš® šŸššš„š„š¢š§š  š¢š§ š„šØšÆšž š°š¢š­š” š”šžš«, š‡ššš«š«š²?" "š˜šžššš”, šˆ š­š”š¢š§š¤ šˆ ššš¦." ---- 9Ā¾ āšÆĶ› ---- "What's your name?" "(Y...