Hate the Game ( Urban Sports...

By PenTherapy

Twenty five year old Sabrina Lewis is constantly doing a juggling act. Between being a mother, maintaining a... More

Author Note
The Blind Date
Drinks
Break The Cycle
Gameday
Single Single
FaceTime
Dinner
Block Him
Showings
I want it
Just a kick back
Birthday
Pressure
Fridate
All Star
Everyday's the fourteenth +
Let's go out
Guilt
Closing Day
Take a L
Face the music.
Give me a Chance
Goodnight +
Good luck charm
Gametime +
I got you
On the road
Get to know you +
Family time
Open up.
Disneyland +
Baby steps +
Introductions +
Taco Tuesday
Mother's Day
Kobe Year +
Real
You my baby
Champion +
Start your life.
Weak+
The 4th
This is 26
Person
Emergency
Support
Hurt People
The News
Decisions
Recovery
A surpise.
Home
Tired
Talk
Talk 2
Work it out
Therapy
Getting better

Proud of you

3.3K 192 11
By PenTherapy

David stood in the entertainment room talking with Amir and Austin. The smile on Sabrina's face as she watched them never faltered. Seeing her man, her father and her brother getting along so well made her happy.

"Earth to Sabrina." Her mother singsonged in her ear. "I know that look."

She turned to face her mother, "I don't know what you mean." She grinned, grabbing food to take out to the back patio table.

"He's handsome. Very well mannered. You guys look beautiful together." Adrianne smiled, gently holding her daughter's hand. She didn't need to tell Sabrina she approved, it was written all over her face. "You seem happy. I love that for you, baby."

"I am happy mom."

Riley came out with the last of the food and put it in place before walking over and standing next to the older women, placing a hand on each of their shoulders. "I like him, Sab." She announced.

"My goodness. Y'all betta get off my man." Sabrina joked.

Austin stepped outside, "Mama, you need anything from downstairs? I'm gonna grab ice from the cellar."

"No just the ice is fine, thank you." She told her only son, before going back inside the house to get her husband and their guest,"Dinner is ready, everyone go wash up, and be outside in 5."

Once they gathered around the table, David spoke, "Austin, will you say grace?"

"Dad, I said it last time. It's Sabrina's turn..." He complained, but then stopped, "actually, Amir. How about you do it." He slyly threw Amir under the bus.

"I'll do it Dad." Sabrina stepped in.

Amir chuckled, looking down his shoulder to Sabrina who stood next to him, "I don't mind." He told her with a small squeeze to her hand. "I'd love to say grace, Mr Lewis."

David smiled at the young man. He was liking his daughters choice more and more.

Everyone closed their eyes and Amir began, "Dear Hevenly Father, I thank you for gathering us here on this beautiful evening. Thank you for these gracious people who have invited me into their home tonight to enjoy this meal that has been wonderfully prepared. God, I pray you keep everyone safe on their individual journeys as we depart from dinner and that we keep you in our hearts and in our minds. In Jesus' name,"

And they all said, "Amen."

"Aman Aman." Sabrina's father said. "Let's go ahead and eat."

Just as they started plating their food, the doorbell rang. Sabrina stood from the table to go get it, "Be right back," she excused herself. She opened the front door and Niko ran inside wrapping his arms around his mother's waist. "Hey baby. You missed me?" She said hugging him back.

"Yes." He said as his mother picked him up.

"Thank you," she told Nick, as he stood there admiring them.

"It's no problem." He smiled. Pulling the backpack off his shoulder. "You want me to put this in your truck?"

"That's okay. He's gonna stay the night with my mom." She informed him.

"Oh aight. You guys havin' dinner?" He asked, stepping inside.

"Yeah, I...have company." She admitted awkwardly.

"Oh." He paused. "I won't hold you, I just wanted to tell you, Niko gon start flag football in a few weeks. I'm coaching the team and I wanted to make sure you had all the information."

"Aww, papa. You're gonna play football?" Sabrina asked, excitedly.

Niko nodded his head, smiling widely. "Just like daddy."

Adrianne came into the entry and greeted Nick, "Hello Nicholas," she said hugging him, then grabbing her grand baby out of her daughter's arms. "Hi my handsome handsome. I've missed you." Niko giggled in her arms as she showered him with kisses. "Would you like some food for the road?" She asked Nick before walking away with Niko.

"No thank you, ma'am."

"Okay. Don't be long Sabrina. Dinner's going to get cold." She reminded her daughter. "Niko, say bye to your father."

"Bye daddy. I love you."

"I love you more, son." Once Sabrina's mom left, they stood in silence before Nick started talking, "Are we... good?"

"Yeah. Why do you ask that?"

"I feel like you've been avoiding me." He said, rubbing his hands over his waves.

"It's not that. We both have our own lives going on. That whole thing with Lauren was kinda upsetting and uncomfortable, but I'm over it now. I'm letting the past be the past." She explained.

He gave a weak smile, unsure of what else to say. "Well, I'll let you go. I know you have company. Thanks for taking him back a little early. I'm going out of town on some team visits this week."

"Oh, wow. Who are you meeting with?"

"The Texans, the Saints and maybe The Cardinals."

She nodded, "I know everything will work out for the best." She told him with a smile, before letting him out the front door. "Have a safe trip." She said before shutting the door.

Sabrina walked back outside to see her mother sitting at the table with Niko in her lap, him eating from her plate. She laughed. Her mother loved being a grandmother. From the day she told her mom she was pregnant, up to delivery, and after, Adrienne was nothing short of supportive of her daughter. And she spoiled the hell out of her only grandchild.

Sabrina took her seat between her mother and Amir. She looked over at her company as he offered her a quick smile still fully engaged in conversation with her father and brother.

Niko reached out for his mother then crawled over onto her lap. He stared at Amir for a few moments then pointed at him, shyly.

"Do you want to say hi?" Sabrina asked and the boy nodded his head. "You gotta use your big boy words."

"Hi," Niko finally said, waving.

Amir paused his conversation and turned his attention to the little boy, "Hi, I'm Amir."

"My name is Niko"

Amir reached his large hand out to shake hands, smiling, "Nice to meet you Niko."

Niko looked at how big Amirs hand was and shook his index finger instead. "Nice to meet you Ahme" the little boy said, sweetly

"Awww now I gotta call you Ahme." Riley laughed at the adorable interaction.

Surprisingly, after Niko and Amir's introductions, Niko talked the evening away. The 4 year old had all the questions in the world, and Amir gave him all the answers he could.

Around 8:30, Adrianne scooped the tired little boy up in her arms and said her goodbyes as she took him to get ready for bed.

"I'm proud of you." She told her Sabrina as they walked up the stairs together.

"For what?"

"You try so hard to keep everyone around you happy. Im glad to see you taking time for some happiness yourself. I know you're still healing from Nicholas, and that's okay. Just know you're doing an amazing job."

Sabrina stood silently, as her mother leaned over and gave her a kiss on the forehead, then leaned Niko over so Sabrina could do the same to her now sleeping child. "Thank you mom. I love you guys" she whispered before going back downstairs.

At the bottom of the stairs, she quickly wiped the tears that came down. Sabrina really appreciated when her mother validated her, especially when she worried about not being able to handle all the pressure.

She deserved to be happy too.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.7K 359 17
Kamora is an 17 year old plus size senior in high she attendees Atlanta Hill High School she is often insecure about her body and appearance but don'...
29.9K 916 43
Mackenzie Young has always been forced to not "do her". Mackenzie has had life planned out for her every since she was 2 years old, due to having no...
686K 40.8K 58
Love is just a word until someone comes along and gives it a memory... You know you're in love when you can say anything to the person and you know t...
2.1K 116 19
Ironically the one time Brielle tries to commit to a man for the long haul, he both cheats on her, rips open a terribly deep emotional wound and leav...