Our Kiddo

By earthl1ng

Sixteen-year-old Evie Warner leaves everything behind to sign a professional contract for Arsenal. It's a big... More

You have a home here now
Got your eye on someone already?
I'm always here for you
We could never be mad at you
You're safe
You look old
You're on fire
Well that was a bit shit
You're such a child
Merry Christmas kiddo
I'm so proud of you
2005?!?
You've got this
My face is just so stunning
This is absolute madness
Fucking amazing
It's not worth it
You were scared?!
You're at home kiddo
Baby please wake up
I love every bit of you
I'm forever grateful for you
I don't think I'm strong enough to fight
Happy birthday!
What's wrong with gingers?
You are so cheeky
I'm alright for god's sake
We've got a plane to catch
Amen to that sister
Chips are yellow!
I'm really disappointed in you
We just want to help
Thanks for that one
Had your after-match smooch yet?
I don't believe in risks
I'm gonna be sick
This isn't the best area but it's home
Star girl
How banging was that?
Oh my god
We did it baby
I just want to feel like this forever

Baby you deserve the whole world

6.3K 120 13
By earthl1ng

After they'd got changed, Leah and Evie walked out to the car park where two people were waiting for them.

"Leah," one of them, who Evie recognised as Georgia Stanway, squealed as they approached.

"Hi G. It's nice to see you," Leah said as she embraced her. They broke apart and Leah moved onto to hugging the other person, Keira Walsh.

Evie stood watching them. She wasn't particularly a shy person but sometimes meeting new people could be a bit scary.

"Keira, Georgia this is Evie. Evie this is Georgia and Keira," Leah said to introduce them all.

"Hello," Georgia said enthusiastically as Keira smiled and waved.

"Hi," Evie replied.

They began to make their way to Leah's car.

"I call shotgun," Georgia said before running and clambering inside. The other three laughed as they watched her go.

"Such a child," Keira said.

They chatted as they drove and it didn't take long for Evie to settle in to the conversation.

"Have you got used to the mess? I always room with her on camp and she's actually the messiest person I've ever met," Georgia said.

"Just about used to it," Evie replied.

"Er excuse me! You're worse than I am," Leah said.

"No I'm not!"

"What did you lose this morning? You know, before our football match?"

"I found my boots in the end," Evie argued causing the others to laugh.

"Actually shit where are my boots now?" Evie asked, suddenly remembering that she didn't know where they were.

"You left one on Kim's seat and Katie somehow found the other in her bag so I packed them up for you," Leah answered.

"Wow. You really are messier than her," Georgia laughed.

After they'd arrived home and apologised for the mess, the four of them sat up at the table to have dinner. They all decided to just have something light, much to Evie's relief.

They spoke as they ate together and the conversation varied through football to relationships and back again.

"You're actually class baller Evie. You completely gave us the run around. I mean I'm not surprised we're shit at the moment," Keira said.

"Oh God we're so shit," Georgia agreed.

"Gareth still being an arse?" Leah asked. The two City girls nodded.

"Yep. Still not being played in the right position," Georgia said, a sarcastic smile on her face.

"Nothing he does works. And I know it's us that's playing but how the coaches are matters," said Keira. The others nodded in agreement.

"Coaches can be shit," Evie sympathised.

"Anyway enough about football, it's doing my head in at the moment," Keira said. They moved on to speaking about relationships and Evie stayed pretty quiet.

"What about you Evie? Boyfriend? Girlfriend?" Georgia asked.

"Single. But I'm speaking to someone. I'm seeing her tomorrow actually."

"Freya?" Leah asked, not actually knowing about the plan for the next day. Evie nodded.

"How'd you meet her?" Keira wanted to know.

"She works at this coffee shop near here."

"Well don't go concussing yourself this time," Leah said with a giggle.

"Shut up," Evie laughed. After explaining the story, Leah slumped back in her seat with a sigh.

"How am I the only one without a love interest?" she groaned.

"You just need to meet the right person," Keira told her.

"What if I never meet the right person?"

"God don't have a midlife crisis now," Georgia told her, making them all laugh and helping cheer Leah up.

They spent the evening chatting away and didn't head up to bed until the early hours of the morning.

"I haven't got the air bed out yet," Leah groaned as she opened the door to the spare room.

"It's alright. We can share, can't we Kei?" Georgia said. Keira nodded.

"You sure?"

"Yeah that's fine," Keira told her. With that, they all said good night and went into their various rooms.

It was about half past four and Evie suddenly woke up. She was really thirsty and went down to get a glass of water. As she made her way down the stairs, she heard someone making noise in the kitchen.

"Hello? Anybody there?" Evie asked timidly. The noise carried on and she peered round the door. There was somebody there.

"Alright?" Georgia's distinctive Northern voice asked. Evie was filled with relief.

"Almost scared me to death there," she laughed, entering the kitchen now that she knew it was safe.

"Sorry. I couldn't sleep cos Keira keeps kicking me in the back and every time I shake her she just sleeps through it," Georgia said. Evie laughed and set about pouring herself a drink.

The two of them chatted away and didn't realise that it was now quarter past five.

***

After saying goodbye to Georgia and Keira, Evie was ready to go and meet Freya.

"Right I'll be back in a bit," she said as she made her way to the door. She'd looked up bus times as she felt bad that Leah was always driving her places.

"I can take you," Leah said as she stood up off the sofa and went to put her shoes on.

"Are you sure?"

"Of course I'm sure."

The drive didn't take long and soon enough they were at the park the two youngsters had agreed to meet in.

"I'll see you in a bit, yeah?" Leah said as Evie clambered out the car.

"Yeah. Thanks for the lift."

"Have fun. But not too much fun," Leah told her with a cheeky smile.

"Oh my God Leah you are so embarrassing," Evie said as she caught on to what she meant and walked away quickly.

"I love you too," Leah called with a laugh as Evie walked away.

Freya was sat waiting on the park bench when Evie approached.

"Hello," she said cheerfully.

"Hi," Evie responded, smiling. The pair walked and chatted before they went into a little coffee shop.

"Oh my days all these drinks sound so good," Evie said as she read off the menu.

"I actually don't like coffee," Freya admitted.

"What!? But you work in a coffee shop."

"I know. It's weird but I just don't like it."

"Surely there's some coffee you like?" Freya shook her head.

They ordered and soon enough their drinks came.

"Do you want a sip?" Evie offered.

"I won't like it."

"You don't know until you try."

Reluctantly, Freya drank some.

"I'll stick to hot chocolate," she said, pulling a face and sitting back in her chair. Evie laughed.

"At least you gave it a go."

The two of them chatted and laughed for hours before Freya noticed the time.

"Shit. I've got a shift in 15 minutes," she said as she stood up.

"You better get a move on then."

"Sorry to end so abruptly. Are you free on Wednesday? I could meet after college."

"I'd love that," Evie replied with a broad smile. With that, Freya left the shop and Evie watched her disappear around the corner.

***

It had been two weeks since the Man City game. Evie was loving life. They'd played two matches in that time and she'd got three assists. The media had been praising her as the next big thing.

Off the pitch, things were going just as well. She was settling in with all the girls and outside of training they'd often go out together. Freya was another thing that was going well. They'd met up multiple times and Evie knew that their relationship was more than friends.

Something that was going less well was her relationship with food. This was something that hadn't gone unnoticed by Leah and after much confliction, she decided to bring it up.

"Evie?"

"Yeah."

"Do you struggle with eating?" Leah asked. They'd just had dinner and like every other night, Evie had left a large portion of her meal. The amount left over had been growing larger and larger and Leah was becoming increasingly concerned.

"What makes you say that?" Evie asked, the lump in her throat beginning to form.

"Well, you don't seem to eat enough. I'm worried about you kiddo."

"I'm fine."

"Evie you can trust me. I'm here for you."

Trusting people wasn't something Evie regularly did but she knew that Leah really cared and she owed her an explanation.

"I've struggled with my eating since I was about 13. My mum used to say that my weight meant that no boy would be into me. Not that I cared what boys thought but that's besides the point. I went days without eating and when I was 14 it got so bad that I passed out at school and Mrs Cooper took me to hospital. It got better but I've still always struggled. I just can't stomach it. I'm scared to eat. I know I need to but my brain won't let me. I don't know why I'm starting to get worse again. I think I'm the happiest I've ever been but maybe my brain doesn't think I should be. Maybe I don't deserve to eat."

Leah stood up and embraced Evie into a hug.

"Baby you deserve the whole world."

They stayed in silence for a few moments. Evie was appreciating the comfort that Leah brought.

"I promise that I'll help you to love yourself again. You deserve to be happy and healthy and food will help with that."

"Thanks Le," Evie said quietly.

***

It was the day after Arsenal's Champions League win against Hoffenheim. All the players were having meetings with Jonas and his team as the international break was about to happen and it was the perfect time to discuss their progress.

Evie was the last person to have her meeting and the other girls were outside having a relaxed session with some of the other coaches.

"Hello Evie. Take a seat," Jonas said with a warm smile. He seemed very serious but he was also very welcoming.

Evie had been terrified leading up to the meeting and it had taken Leah half an hour to talk her out of her head and back to reality.

They began with how Evie thought she was progressing and the coaches all nodded on in agreement. Then they moved onto the positives of the season.

"We all think that you have adapted very well to life at Arsenal. You've proved yourself in the WSL and despite your age you show real maturity. Your creative play is insane and when the matches have been a bit slow, you've really helped pick them up," Jonas said. Evie smiled. She always loved praise.

"The only thing we've noticed is that you're very small. You get pushed around very easily and we're concerned that your diet may be affecting your play," said Jonas. Evie's smile stopped. She didn't need the club involved with her eating. It had been improving over the past week with the help of Leah but she hated people fussing over her.

"So we've decided that the club are getting to take on a more active role in your food," Jonas continued. Shit.

"You can't," Evie said.

"Why not?"

"You just can't."

"Evie we only want what's best for you," Jonas told her.

"You have no idea what is best for me!" Evie shouted before she got up and stormed from the room.

"Evie! Evie!" she heard Jonas call after her but she just carried on. She reached the training pitches and instead of going over to the girls she started to run. Not going anywhere in particular, just slamming her feet on the ground in an attempt to release some of the frustration that was building inside her.

Blood rushed in her ears and she just kept going forward.

"Hey! Hey Evie!" someone called as footsteps approached. Evie didn't slow down. She didn't want to speak to anyone.

"Oi slow down," the voice said.

"Leah piss off," Evie called as she carried on sprinting. She could've carried on all day if it wasn't for the fence that signalled the end of the training pitches.

"Jesus," Leah panted as she doubled over and tried to catch her breath. Evie just stood in an angry silence.

Eventually Leah recovered her breathing and returned to her full height.

"What's up kiddo?" she asked. The question knocked all the fight out of her and her bottom lip began to wobble.

"They want to take control of my eating," she replied, her voice breaking in the middle, "I don't want them to do that. Please don't let them."

"Oh Evie. They only want what's best for you," Leah said as she hugged the girl who suddenly seemed even smaller than usual.

"No they don't."

"Yes they do."

Evie just stood crying in Leah's arms. Everything was being taken out of her control and she hated it.

"How about we go and finish the meeting but I come with you? Jonas wouldn't mind," Leah suggested.

"Would you do that?"

"I'll do anything if it makes you happy."

This satisfied Evie and the pair walked back to the main building.

Evie had gone for her signature hairstyle of plaits and for some reason, today it made her look even younger than usual.

Just outside the door, the sixteen-year-old hesitated.

"I'm here, okay? I promise I won't let them do anything you don't want them to."

Jonas and his team were sat in the same positions as before, looking at their notes and discussing them.

"Hello Leah," Jonas said as he noticed her enter.

"I've brought someone with me," Leah said as Evie stepped out from behind her. Jonas nodded at her in greeting.

"I'm really sorry for getting annoyed. And for shouting. And for storming off," Evie apologised.

"It's okay. I understand that a club getting involved in your personal life can be a difficult step."

Leah and Evie sat down, Leah's hand resting on her knee for reassurance. She took a deep breath and then explained what she'd told Leah the other day.

"I'm so sorry that you went through that. As a club our main priority is your health, mental and physical, so if you need anything, you tell us. I'm here for a chat or a cuddle and you've got all the girls as well," Jonas said. Evie laughed a little at the thought of cuddling Jonas but she appreciated what he'd said.

"We're going to put together a plan that'll help you with eating and gaining strength. It won't be forceful and if it ever starts to negatively impact you, we will stop it. Does that sound like a good idea?" Jonas suggested.

"Yes. I like that idea. You won't be annoyed if I can't do it though, will you?" Evie asked.

"No. We will not be mad at you."

***

A/N: Thank you so much for all the support so far! It means a lot :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

60.7K 1.8K 43
Seventeen-year-old Evie Warner is the next big thing. Everyone is talking about her. She's just won the Euros and she couldn't be happier. She feels...
7.1K 155 7
9 year old Madison Wright has been in foster care since the age of 5.She loves football and dreams of becoming a professional one day. What happens w...
76.7K 978 51
Holly Meidema Mead is Beth Mead and Vivianne Meidemas Kid. Holly is 16 years old and is a striker for England and Arsenals Youth teams. Her best frie...
324K 6.4K 72
sophia jones almost gets caught in a lie with her mother about her "girlfriend" she asks her friend of 3 years to pretend to be her girlfriend. what...