Her Lullaby

By kotasonvenus

[Previously title Marigold and Sunflowers] He thought she was a sinful angel of temptation, but the most ann... More

These People
1- Threesome
2- Apple Juice
3- Salad & Tenders
4- Bar
5- Projecting
6- Uno
7- Ragedy Ass Car
8- Strays
9- Mushrooms
10- Auto Shop
11- Insomnia
12- Invisible Watch
13- Truce Cake
14- Raccoon
15- Orange Juice
17- Charity
18- Twenty-Three Six
19- Blush
20- Girls Night
21- Sophisticated
22- Breakfast
23- Swimming
24- Airport
25- Red Lipstick
26- Funnel Cake
27- Dangerous
28- Stethoscope
29- Chill Day
30- I Can't
31- The Law
32- Upset
33- Boundaries
34- Bouquet
35- Texas
36- Uber
37- Birthday Cake
38- Housewife
39- Gold-Hearted
40- Want
41- Apartment
42- Rain
43- Lullaby

16- Sister

2.4K 119 21
By kotasonvenus

I sigh walking into the coffee shop as the small bell rings above the glass door. I glance down at my Spider-Man watch reading the time.

The warm atmosphere was welcoming and the aroma of coffee swarms the air as people chatter with others sipping and eating what they ordered.

I had some extra time before I need to go to work, and I wanted to eat something before I go in.

After waiting in line I get to the counter and order me a banana nut muffin and an apple juice. I understand Carter's addiction to the sweet drink, and I think he might've gotten me hook on the juice.

I pay for my order before the employees goes to warm up my muffin and get my drink.

"Ivy?" I heard a familiar voice call from behind me.

I turn around to see Brandon standing tall in his work attire, a small smile decorates his two tone lips.

I offer him a smile, "Hey, Brandon."

We've bumped into each other every now and then when I would stop by Carter's office, just small talk, and I've observed that Brandon can be a little socially awkward, but in a charmingly cute way.

"Getting coffee before work?" I ask adjusting my bag on my shoulder.

"Yeah, I had a few extra minutes before heading to the office, but I'm glad when ran into each other."

"Oh?" My brows raised at his words, but I had to turn away from the conversation when the employee brought me my muffin and apple juice.

"One second, please." Brandon flashes me with a perfect smile before he orders his coffee.

He steps out of line towards me while he waits for his drink, "There this charity event for work tomorrow and if you aren't too busy I was hoping you'd join me as my date. If it's okay with you."

I smiled at how he seemed almost flustered he seemed, "Yeah, it's okay with me, Brandon. Though my sister is visiting this week, I'll be free tomorrow."

His smile widens, "Okay, that's great. I'll send you the rest the information."

"Okay." I nod as the employee calls his name to get his coffee before we bid our goodbyes and head to work.

When I got to the hospital I saw Astryd sitting in the car with Tyson in the front parking lot. I walk to the car knocking on the window.

"Don't tell me you two are hooking up." I exasperate once Tyson rolls the window down.

They both shake their heads in horror, "Of course not! I got a little wasted after work and Ty just let me sleepover, and offered to take me to work this morning." Astryd said, and I believe her.

She skipped makeup today and threw her hair into a messy fan bun, and she seemed low of energy today, but my best friend was still gorgeous.

"Everything okay?" I ask sincerely, my brows furrow.

She avoids my question, "Can I stay at your place tonight?" She asked.

"Always." I smile, and which she returns.

"Can you guys get out of my car now? I have date I would like to prepare for." Tyson exasperates making haste movements with his hands.

I exaggerate a gasp, "A date!? Do tell." I demand.

A faint blush blankets his cheeks as he feigns annoyance, "It's none of your business, but it's with the Ezmai, the woman I told you about."

"Look at Ty, going on dates and stuff." Astryd smiles poking his arm teasingly.

"They grow up so fast." I spoke mournfully as I pinch his cheeks.

He grimaced swatting my hand away, "Alright, Alright. Go to work." He saids and I laugh when he locks his doors as soon as Astryd gets out the car.

When we get inside the building Astryd sits behind her desk with an exhausted sigh.

"Delani's visiting this week." I said excitedly, "She's staying at a hotel, and I would let her sleepover but August is probably coming with her, and I think you can figure out the rest."

"Aww I haven't seen Lani since she was a little high school senior." Astryd smiles.

We had to cut the small talk short and start work, but I couldn't ignore the feeling that nagging at me, and I couldn't decipher what the cause of that feeling was.

•••••••

Soon as I open the door I throw my arms around my little sister.

I had gotten off of work a couple of hours ago and today was not as hectic as past days, which I was thankful for, but that didn't make me less tired and I had took a nap soon as I had gotten home. Astryd was coming later on since she was getting her stuff from her place.

"I've missed you too, but please loosen your grip." She mutters letting out a small laugh.

I chuckle letting my arms fall to the side and moving to the side to let her into my apartment.

"Wow, I feel so welcomed." August murmurs sarcastically as he steps in through the doorway.

"That's good." I nod dismissively, closing and locking my front door.

"Is that what I think it is!?" Delani exclaim hurrying to the kitchen.

I smile at seeing my little sister smile, she had an contagious smile that warmed my heart, "I made your favorite."

She opens multiple drawers until she finds the one that holds the silverware grabbing herself a fork with a excited smile, and she takes a bite of the peach cobbler straight out of the dish.

"Can I have so—" August attempts to get a piece but my sister swats his hand away making him flinch back.

He sighs sending me an accusing look, "Look at what you did, you turned her into a monster."

He wraps his arms around her picking her up setting her away from the dessert and he takes the fork from her and taking a bite of peach cobbler for himself.

"August if you don't move I won't talk to you for two hours." She glares at him as he stares down at her adoringly that was soon replaced with betrayal at her words.

"Ven, that's like two days." He gapes.

Despite trying to be upset a small smile formed on Delani's lips as she looks up at her boyfriend, "You're over exaggerating, Augs." She takes her fork back kissing his cheek before walking around him back to the peach cobbler.

"Lani, we have to have a girls night out, I have Sunday off, and Astryd can join." I suggest.

"I could use a—"

I interrupt August, "A girls night out, August."

His mood visibly dims and he turns to Delani with a sad look and she shrugs sympathetically, "You'll survive one night, Auggie. You survived a whole day, remember?" She saids taking a bite of peach cobbler.

"Yeah." He sighs.

Delani pats his shoulder one time before looking at me, "Treating this separation anxiety one step at a time." She jokes, but her and I both know that August really did have separation anxiety from his mother leaving him, twice, and his dad always leaving for work for weeks Delani was the only constant in his life since the second grade.

I grab a serving spoon and a plate to plate the dessert, "I actually won't be here tomorrow, I have to go to a charity event, but you should visit abuela she misses her little artist."

Delani nods, "I love abuela. She's so funny."

"What's the charity?" August asks.

I shrug taking a bite of my food, "I don't know the specifics, but I know it's something positive for animals."

"That seems like something you would like." Delani muffles covering her mouth with her hand.

"Slow down, baby. You're gonna choke." August spoke softly to my little sister, wiping the corner of her mouth with his thumb.

I purse my lips together glancing away from the couple, "As much as I support you two as a couple, y'all make me feel real single."

"If you want I could set you up with Rowan's brother." Delani offers setting down her fork.

Rowan was her and August's best friend and his older brother, Simon, is someone I've met a few times, but we didn't really talk much.

"Thanks, but I'm good." I turn down the offer grabbing my phone, "I actually have a call I  need to make. Don't mess up anything." I said sending them both a pointed look before leaving the kitchen and going to my balcony.

I scroll down my list of contacts until I find the right one.

"What?" He answers the phone

A subconscious smile blooms on my lips at his greeting, "Carver, I have good news."

"You're going to learn sign language and stop talking forever?"

I roll my eyes lightly grazing my finger tips along the green leaf of one of my plants, "I'm going to the charity event tomorrow."

"You're not invited." He stated lazily, voice filled with boredom.

My stomach churns, "I, uh, I have a date." I mutter, and all the sudden I was regretting this call as my stomach seemed as if it folding within itself from nerves that I don't know the source of.

"Excuse me?" His voice sounded sharper, deeper; the laziness and boredom completely gone.

"I'm a plus one." I restate the words to make them sound less...intimate?

"Ivy, that's not what you said."

I clear my throat, "I was asked to the charity as a date, and I said yes."  I spoke more clearly than the first, but the nerves were still there, just anxious of every word to slip from his lips.

"I thought you didn't date."

"I'm giving him a chance." I said.

"Why?" He asked curtly.

Truth was I didn't know, of course Brandon was nice, sweet, charming, but the description was so broad he could've been just a random person I ran into on the street.

"He's nice, sweet, and charming." I answer, and the silence on the other line was tense and I tapping my foot against the balcony floor as my phone beeps.

He ended the call.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
I know this chapter isn't all that but I'll make up for it in the next I promise.

<3 🍴📞

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 128 49
____ "I'd love to marry you Leon! Yes!" He tried slipping the ring on my finger. He did it once. Twice. Thrice. He looked at the ring and sighed, "Sh...
286K 12.6K 36
TODAY: NO, I can't stay here. I should go out from here at any cost. But how? I am sure they will keenly watching me, and i should think of any othe...
785 496 24
"You're a wizard,Harry!" Whoops,wrong book. "You're a Light Healer, Aurelia!" Eh....Not as catchy but let's roll with it. One night Princess Aurelia...
6.3K 235 89
Stephanie Walker, A-straight student, sweet,pretty and every parent's dream. What happens when her simple life clashes with the golden boy at her se...