Don't Be Afraid To Ask

By callme_annie

When Zee tries to forget about the past, NuNew becomes his best company and someone who will try to heal Zee'... More

Proloque
*1* Saint
*2* Pierre Gasly
*3* NuNew Chawarin
*4* Zee Pruk
*5* NuNew
*6* Zee Pruk
*7* Nat
*8* NuNew
*9* Annie
*10* Pierre
*11* Zee Pruk
*12* NuNew
*13* NuNew
*14* Zee Pruk
*15* Saint
*16* Zee Pruk
*17* Saint
*18* Annie
*19* Pierre
*20* NuNew
*21* Annie
*22* Saint
*23* Perth Nakhun
*24* Annie
*25* Perth
*26* Tutor Koraphat
*27* Saint
*28* Pierre
*29* NuNew
*30* Saint Suppapong
*31* Zee Pruk
*32* NuNew
*33* NuNew
*34* Annie
*35* Khaotung
*36* Annie
*37* NuNew
*38* Zee Pruk
*39* Perth Nakhun
*40* Annie
*41* Perth
*42* Zee Pruk
*43* First Kanaphan
*44 Zee Pruk
*45* Khaotung
*46* Zee Pruk
*48* NuNew
*49* Perth Nakhun
*50* Annie
*51* First Kanaphan
*52* NuNew
*Last Chapter*
*Last Dream of Zee*

*47* Saint

99 3 0
By callme_annie

I inadvertently overheard Annie's conversation with Darcy.  Not that I like to eavesdrop, I was just passing by and they were standing by the mirror so busy discussing that they didn't pay attention, which was probably because at that hour every employee was already thinking about getting out as soon as possible, pack everything up and head back to the hotel to catch a few hours of much-needed sleep.  I had that plan too, but unfortunately I left my phone and bag in the dressing room.

— No, Darcy, I don't understand it at all and I don't care how you arrange it, my people are to have enough time off so that they come to work refreshed and willing to take on new challenges.

— I don't think you have any idea what it's like to work in the entertainment industry. —  Darcy pursed her lips in disgust, as if the mere presence of Annie across from her was getting on her nerves.  Her voice also gave me a lot to think about, Darcy sounded as if she thought Annie was inferior to herself, less important, but the author of our novel didn't give up.

— Oh, I know that, and that's why I'm here.  I'm fed up with it, and I'm not the only one.  In my country you work 8 hours a day, in some workplaces 10, but then you only work 4 days a week, but here they require us to work even 12 to 14 hours for the whole 7 days, don't you think that  sick, inhuman?

— That's what they pay us for. What did you actually expect?  What, did you think we got such high bonuses for?  Lying upside down on the beach?  If you want to earn money, you have to work for it. They won't be paying you for nothing!

—  Phhhh!  — Annie snorted.  With a clink of glass, she set the tea glass down on the table where I had been sitting not more than ten minutes ago, right in front of the mirror where Som was washing off our makeup.  —Money!  I'll tell you something and I advise you to listen carefully: people from Pierre's management are buying up the contracts of all the actors who play in our series, in a moment each of them will get the freedom that people like you take away from them.  They won't have to work as hard anymore and will be able to choose what they want to do and what not.

— You are pitiful! — Darcy gave an unpleasant laugh that sent shivers down my spine.  I shivered, feeling the sudden chill as the door opened softly, almost silently, behind me.  I took my eyes off the talking, or rather arguing, women for a moment to see who dared to disturb my peace.  Seeing it was NuNew, I put my index finger to my lips, telling him to be quiet.  He looked like he didn't understand at all, so I grabbed his hand and pulled him down, forcing him to lean in, and then I whispered in his ear.

— I advise you to listen to this, I'll explain later.

He nodded and moved closer.  He was standing over me while I crouched against the wall next to the changing room door where the two women were standing.

— ...will be wasted.  No one will give them any engagement if they are not willing to cooperate.  That's what their job is, doesn't it get to you at all?

— But imposing on them images of someone they don't even look like? Not to mention imposing sexuality on them, taking away the right to talk openly about their private lives or discriminating against those who show even a shadow of being LGBT?! It's degrading and disgusting!  How can you even look yourself in the mirror after something like that?  Some of our actors are completely straight, they do BL series for various reasons, and you make them pretend to be someone else?  You have one of them pretending that they have no ties to the LGBT world and the other that they are part of it when they are not?  It's pathetic! Let LGBT people be LGBT people and straight ones to be as straight as they want to! Why is this so hard for you? Are some kind of monster?

  Annie was clearly nervous, her voice vibrating with anger.

— You stupid cow, you're ruining everything!  You will destroy what we have worked for for years!  — Darcy suddenly lunged at Annie with her fists, punching, kicking, and yanking her hair.  — I won't let you do this!  You stupid idiot, don't even think you can do it!

— Let's go! — I decided for myself and NuNew.  We had to step in.  With considerable difficulty, we pulled the two struggling women apart.  I noticed that the corner of Annie's mouth started to bleed.

— We should call the police — New said, helping Anna to a chair at the table.  He reached for a handkerchief and wiped the sticky liquid from her lips.  There was nothing extraordinary or romantic about it, as we usually portrayed in our series: just a friend cared for his friend, helped her, took care of her, and their touch made no impression on them precisely because they didn't feel anything romantic about each other.  It also helped us to behave professionally and stick to our assigned tasks.  Annie was right, some of our friends, Bright and Win and Yin and War being the prime example, got into fictitious relationships just to promote the shows they starred in.  Again, there was nothing wrong with that as long as each of them agreed to it voluntarily, but we already knew that if P'Sky or his people were involved, it was unlikely to be voluntarily.  And that's what we wanted to put an end to.  Let everyone choose the way they want to promote their work.  Fanservice to some extent is acceptable and even welcome, especially if the couple feels very comfortable and at ease in each other's company, which is often the case between close friends.

— Sit down!  — I commanded Darcy in the most icy tone I could muster, wanting to show her my dislike of her and her attitude.  She jerked as if she wanted to break free and run away from me, but she was only a small, slender woman who didn't have much strength.  I gripped her shoulders tighter and led her to a chair where I forced her down.

— We saw everything —  Nong New added, smiling reassuringly at Annie.  — If we have to testify, we will.

— Ha ha ha, you can't do anything to me! —  Darcy laughed disgustingly and with a clear sense of superiority.

— Why not? — Nong has been one of us for a long time, why is he still so naive and silly about some things?  Am I the only one who saw the other side too?  When I was running my school for young talents, I learned that sometimes it's better to keep silent about something, even if it hurts us, it's better not to fight.  Darcy didn't hesitate, she explained it right away with a mocking smile and a clear expression of triumph on her face.

— Because this drama won't help you at all. Do you think that this way you will win the hearts of fans?  Nothing of that!  Many of them will stop liking you, they will  not want to see you anymore, you will make enemies.  I'm sure you haven't thought it through, have you?  Oh, I forgot you're just a spoiled rich brat who doesn't know shit about real life.

There was so much venom and hatred in her words that my hands were clenching themselves into fists, ready to hit her, regardless of the fact that she is a woman, and women are theoretically not beaten, but the one in front of me was a monster, whose closeness is difficult for me.  She saw it and this time she turned to me.

— Oops, did I just offend someone here? Sorry!  Although I don't understand how you could want to defend someone who took a loved one away from you?

How did she know?  Is it...?  No, it is not possible!

Because...

Because it's impossible, right?  Where would she have access to such information?  I haven't talked to anyone about this, I swear!  Only Mix and Earth knew, but they wouldn't betray, they're not like that... I know them, they're my friends...

"Saint, don't kid yourself, how many times have you heard that it was the closest friends who often stabbed their friends in the back?" — Asked the little voice of reason in my head.

— New didn't take anyone from me.  I'm glad Zee fell in love with someone and I accept his decision, and it's nothing to do with you —  I replied, trying to keep my voice cool, calm and professional.  Years of acting training finally paid off.  All the long hours I had spent perfecting my skills were now paying off.  Darcy had no idea that I was acting, that I had played the part.  Now she could hurt me all she wanted, I was no longer a Saint who suddenly realized he had lost a friend and was easily upset.  Now I was a Saint with no feelings, a harsh, cruel, mean Saint who cared for his friends and ignored his enemies.  I was a Saint who knew neither tears nor pity.  I played the part as I had done many times before.

— Oh?  Is it?  Either way, there's nothing you can do to me.  I'd love to call P'Cloud and tell him how you treat me.  Already P'Cloud will make sure that you learn obedience.  You too, kid!  — She nodded at NuNew.

— I don't think you should call him that.  Nong New is one of the people who got you a job, you should be more grateful to him and show some respect. —  I admonished her.

—  Ph!  Why would I respect some spoiled brat?  P'Sky got me this job, Chawarin should be glad we even let him play here.

— I don't think it's up to P'Sky to decide — Annie interjected.

— Exactly.  It seems to me that Pierre and Annie had the final say in the selection of employees — I supported Annie.

— P'Sky said otherwise.  He was the one who called Pierre and asked me to take care of the recording and promotion of this series.

— That's what I thought... How long have you been spying for P'Sky? Have you always been in Formula 1?

— Why do you care?

  — Answer me.  I'm just curious because you're quite a sly vixen.

— Since Pierre's transition to Formula 1. No one has ever caught me, and you have nothing on me either.  I advise you well, let me go and I won't tell anyone.

— Huh?  You think it's going to be easy for you?  You hurt Annie, you used violence!  — New exclaimed.

— Prove it if you can.

New was about to protest, but I grabbed his arm.

— You're right, Darcy, we don't have anything on you... Right now... New, I guess we have no choice but to let her go free.

— What?  I disagree!

— Nong New, do you want us to have more problems?  Listen to me.  I also have other artists under me that I have to manage, we just have to let go this time – I tried to convince NuNew.  I could see from his expression that he was struggling with himself before finally saying:

— Okay, go away! Damn!!!

New kicked the garbage can, causing it to fall over and some dirt spilled onto the floor.  Darcy took the opportunity to run as fast as she could, and I breathed a sigh of relief.

—  Hooray!  Victory!  — I said in a loud whisper, raising my clenched fist up in triumph.  Annie and New looked at me as if I had completely lost my mind.  I felt obligated to explain everything to them.  I leaned over the table and pulled my phone out from under the blue vanity case.  I unlocked it and showed them the still working voice recorder app.  I clicked the end recording button.

— Thank you for provoking her, now we have everything recorded — I said, smiling widely.

— What?  H-how?  How... How did you know? — Annie wondered.

— Oh!  Mark and Perth suggested it to me.  Now all I have to do is transfer the file to the laptop, then to the flash drive and take it to Mark, he will take care of the rest.

— Are you talking about this detective? — New became interested.

— Yes.  You can relax, Darcy won't be working here by noon tomorrow.  Who would have thought she'd be stupid enough to admit it out loud?

— Maybe not stupid, but self-confident, overconfident, didn't sense the threat.

— Ha!  You don't even know how much it cost me to pretend to be calm!

— Anyway, thank you. —  New folded his hands together and bowed to me. —  You risked a lot for us.

— No problem. I had a debt to pay off. — I smiled, ruffling his hair.  They were really soft and pleasant to the touch, I think I understand Zee better and better.  Nong is simply perfect in every way: nice, charming, good-natured, funny and on top of that he has smooth skin, smells great and has soft hair: in a word: walking perfection.  — Let's say you take me out to dinner in return, I haven't eaten anything today.

Three hours later, when I finally lay in the warm, soft, comfortable pink sheets, I had time to think about everything that had happened.

Darcy seemed suspicious to me from the start.  She may have pretended she wasn't affiliated with P'Sky in any way, but I'd bet there are people in Formula 1 who profit from what's known as "closeting" artists(or, in this case, drivers) to adopt a predetermined image. For example, I learned that Pierre had a playboy image who loved to party, drink gallons of alcohol, and flirt with every pretty girl he met. The real Pierre, once I met him,  turned out to be the opposite: he was madly in love with Yuki, in our company he constantly held his hand, fed him, hugged him or kissed him on the cheek. They were such a cute couple that I felt extremely lonely around them. In addition, Pierre was gentle, romantic  funny. I guessed he agreed with Annie on a lot of things. And he was the one who made it easier for us to leave our managers, or rather his and Lewis Hamilton's money.

I thought of Lewis and smiled.

Lewis was a free man, no one could impose anything on him, no one had the right to tell him what to do, he was the master of his own destiny, quite flamboyant and picky, sometimes a bit narcissistic, but still not deprived of heart and human instincts, a rich man, one of the few such.  It was Lewis who raised enough money to buy out every contract, the most difficult was buying Joong Archen, because because of his great achievements, the penalty for early termination and default was a staggering $10 million.  Maybe it was because Joong also made a career abroad, became recognizable, earned mainly from music.  Or was it to silence him?  With us, Joong has never hidden how he feels about Dunk, but that's what forced them to make a difficult choice: either they break up or they can forget about continuing to develop their careers.  They solved it by going into hiding: Dunk attended public events less and less and never accompanied Joong again.  He gave up his own career to give the person he loved a chance to make his dreams come true.  In return, Joong pays all his bills, buys him expensive gifts, and tries to make up for it somehow.  They were another reason to give artists back their freedom: we wanted to see what they would be like when they didn't feel pressured or scrutinized by managers who thought it was wrong to show affection too openly in public.  We didn't want other people to experience what we experienced.  It cost us a lot, I lost friends for a long time, whom I trusted more than myself.

In the end, I managed to explain everything not only to Zee, but also to Max and Nat.  I confessed everything, feeling that this confession was like the cathartic confession I needed so badly to move on.  Now I could look to the future with peace and hope.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

406K 5.7K 43
Jasmine Summers meets the one and only Lando Norris, the two becomes best friends, but when one of them falls for the other, it ruins their friendshi...
253K 4.6K 36
"Home is where the heart is" - that's always been true, at least until the year 2017. My life turned upside down when I didn't only lost my mom but...
18.8K 380 24
Completed/discontinued (depends how you look at it) Yuki has always loved Pierre, even if he didn't know it. He always thought the love he felt for h...
56.7K 2.8K 45
This is an AU, no racing One Rink Two Hearts What will happen? started: 13/10/23 finished: not yet