Scales In The Ruined

By DanielleDoustAllen

Twins. The oldest, a warlock. The youngest, a shadowhunter. Both were raised in lives the other could not fol... More

-Season One-
When Two Became One
Birthday Wishes
The Shift in the Shadows
No Worse Ways To Be Introduced
Not Your Secret To Share
Late Night Bonding
Portal Shards & Cheesecakes
Fucking...werewolves
Double Potions
Shadow's Of The Past Shrouds Us
Mission Impossible
Small Trinkets of Time
Two Never Becomes Three

When One Becomes Two

5.6K 179 64
By DanielleDoustAllen

Clary's reaction to Kassidy stepping towards her was involuntary. It was something her body did by itself and boy did she regret it. Seeing the expression on her sister's face that was filled with nothing but pain and rejection. Yet she didn't get to think about it for long when Izzy walked past her to give the blonde warlock a hug.

"Thank angel you're okay." Izzy said, squeezing her tight.

Kas was appreciative of the girl's ability to change the mood of the room. "Of course I'm okay, this is me we're talking about." She pulled back but left her hands on Belle's shoulders.

"That doesn't inspire much confidence." Alex took a step forward, going to hug her as well.

"That hurts, Xander." She pouted into the hug, playing along.

"The truth hurts." He responded with a teasing smile.

Finally pulling away, Kas turned to look at her boyfriend. She took a step forward to embrace him, but stopped mid-step when she saw Jace clench his jaw and refused to make eye contact with her. Once again, her stomach dropped and her heart felt tight.

Clary she could understand, they've been apart for most of their lives, but Jace. She couldn't comprehend why he was acting the way he was when the Lightwoods were all buddy-buddy with her. She wanted to confront him, but she knew that would have to wait. Clearing her throat, Kassidy turned to her father. "Even if most of the warlocks escaped, Valentine knows our location. We need to move."

Magnus, knowing how much his daughter was suffering at the moment, gave her a look before complying to her request. "Hold tight, everyone, we're about to move." He claps his hands as a blue glow surrounds his palms. It only took a second before the building began to shake. Once it came to a stop, the older warlock looked at the mess that littered the penthouse.

"Ah, much better." He turns around. "Ugh, it's inevitable. After each move, I get the itch to redecorate. Normally, I love a dirty lair, but this one is just sloppy." Magnus puts his foot on the table, flipping it back in place. He ignores the sound of disgust Kas made and glances over at Alec, who looks puzzled as he walks past.

Not getting the reaction he wanted out of the brunette archer, turned to Izzy. "I believe in payment for services rendered. Thank you for defending the warlocks." He held up the ruby.

"I couldn't." Isabelle told him, even though it was clear she really wanted the jewel.

"Oh, but you could." The older warlock corrected. "And you should. The Lightwoods have been wearing this for years. Besides, this would look silly on your brother." As he clasps it around her neck, he leans in and whispers. "About Alec, is he more of a flower or a cologne man?"

Clary, wanting to find her mom as soon as possible, began asking questions. "Okay, so how do we find this memory demon?"

"Like most demons, they have to be summoned." Kas, trying to keep everything professional, answered as she picked up one of the bigger books from the shelf.

"I can summon the demon, but you must make the demand." Magnus tells Clary. "Now, I warn you... retrieving your memories will not be easy. Summoning such a powerful demon could be lethal."

With a gulp, the red-head agreed. "I will do what I have to do to save my mother."

"Okay. Pretty boy, get your team ready." The older Bane held out his hand, towards the two other boys in the room.

Jace, thinking it was him he was referring too, went to move. "You know what to do."

Scoffing lightly, Magnus held him back. "I'm not talking to you. I'm talking to..." His attention went to Alec. "...you." Alec's cheeks turned pink as a dopey smile appeared, but it vanished into confusion as he shrugged at Jace when he gave him a look.

Handing Magnus the book, Kas shifts around. "I'll make us some tea, it's gonna be awhile." She quickly walked to the kitchen, wanting to escape the tension that everyone could feel.

Magnus followed his child walk behind the wall with his eyes, sighing quietly before turning to look at the newbie. "Come with me."

Glancing at the door that Kas walked though, Clary bit her cheek before following Magnus into the other room.

As soon as they were out of earshot, Magnus warned her. "Everyone wants the Mortal Cup. Don't trust anyone, especially not the Clave."

Clary's brows pinched together. "Then why should I trust you?"

"You shouldn't." The warlock's lips quirked up. "Only trust yourself." After he was done, he placed a box in her hands filled to the brim with different colored chalk.

"These chalks are beautiful." She glanced down at them. "What are they for?"

"If a person wants their memories returned, they must draw the pentagram to summon the demon." He explained as he opened a page from the book that Kassidy gave to him, only to stop on a page with a pentagram. "I can walk you through it, if you like."

Clary denied his help. "I got this."

Holding up his hands, Magnus alerted Jace to enter. "Shadowhunter... prepare Clary as best you can."

Jace, not even giving a second look at the warlock, started talking to Clary about the rune he was going to put on her. "The memory demon is a Greater Demon. The rune will be far more powerful than anything you faced so far."

Gulping a small bit, the red-headed twin put on a brave face. "Do it."

Pulling out his stele, he held down her shoulder. "This might sting." He didn't stop drawing it even though she let out a blood-curdling scream.

—-------

Once Jace finished drawing the rune on Clary, he went to see Kassidy in the kitchen making everyone tea. "Clary's drawing the pentagram." He grumbled.

"Oh?" Kas kept her eyes on the kettle. "You're talking to me now?"

"I try to avoid liars." Was his rebuttal.

"Liars?" Now that got her to turn around. "I've never lied to you, Jace."

"Really?" He crossed his arms over his chest, glaring down at his girlfriend. "You never told me about Clary."

Kas pointed at him. "I told you I had a sister who didn't remember me."

"Which you conveniently left out that she was your twin and a shadowhunter!" The shadowhunter's voice started to rise.

"It wasn't important." She kept her voice steady, trying to avoid wherever this was going.

"Oh, like it wasn't important to tell me who your father is?" The sarcasm was dripping out of his mouth.

"My father-" It was her turn to cross her arms. "-is down the hall in his study. You already know this. Hell, you met the man on numerous occasions."

"I'm not talking about Magnus." He grinded his teeth. "I'm talking about Valentine, Kas!"

She pushed her lips together. "How'd you find out?"

He scoffed at her in disbelief. "It was the only memory the Silent Brother's could pull from Clary."

"You took her to the Silent Brothers?" She physically recoiled at the news. "Are you crazy? She could have died!" Her level-headedness flew out the window at the thought of Clary dying.

"We wouldn't have had to if you just came to the Institute and explained everything to her instead of hiding like a coward."

"A coward?" Her left eye twitched. "I was protecting my people and you call that cowardice?" She took a step forward.

Jace stepped forward as well, not backing down. "I call it like I see it."

"Okay, 'you call it like you see it?' Tell me." The light on the table near them flickered. "What am I then?"

So, the shadowhunter did. "You're a coward and a liar. You had all these years to tell the truth, but you hid it from me."

"So that's what this is about?" Similar to Alec, Kas was able to read between the lines of his words. "You're mad because I hurt your pride?"

"The Circle killed my father, I deserved to know!" Jace's true colors shined through. "I deserved to know who my girlfriend was!"

"And I'm still the same person!" As Kas yelled back, the light next to them exploded causing the two to duck slightly due to the scrapes that flew around the room. The warlock took a deep breath knowing she'd had to get her emotions in check.

"Look, I'm sorry about your father, I really am. But you need to understand. The Circle, Valentine, killed thousands of warlocks, of downworlders, the same people I represent. Do you know how much more danger I would be in, you would be in, if word got out about who I shared blood with as I grew up!" She ran her fingers through her hair. "It was to protect me and the people I loved. I didn't tell you cause I couldn't."

"Couldn't or wouldn't?" He hissed through his teeth.

"I couldn't." She said, trying to get through to him. "And if you don't believe that, then you don't know me."

"Huh." The anger on Jace's face faded only to be replaced with something else. Something that not even Kas could distinguish. "I guess I don't know you." The words clung to the air as he left Kas standing by herself in the kitchen.

Not even bothering to call him back, Kassidy turned around and placed her hands on the counter. Leaning on it, her head hung down from exhaustion.

A few moments later, a knock on the doorway alerted her. Popping her head up she saw the Lightwood's standing and looking at her with pity.

"Don't look at me like that." She mumbled. "I hate when you two look at me like that."

"Well, we hate to see you like this." Izzy said as she walked over to her friend. "We're sorry about Jace, he was outta line."

"Tell him that." Kas muttered before taking a deep breath. Letting it out, the tension in her shoulders evaporated and was replaced with sadness. "He hates me."

"He doesn't hate you." Alec said as he put his back to the counter next to Kas, who leaned her head on his shoulder.

"Jace could never." Izzy agreed.

"Please, you saw how he looked at me. He thinks I'm a coward." Kassidy let out a weak scoff. "Then there's Clary, who can't even look at me without grabbing that stupid scar." Her foot kicked the ground.

The Lightwoods looked at each other over Kas' head, connecting the dots. "Is that the reason why she doesn't remember?" Isabelle asked.

"It's complicated, but long story short, yeah." The blonde warlock fiddled with her fingers. "I wanna tell you guys, but-"

"Your sister deserves to know first." The shadowhunters finished together, having heard her say it before.

"Oh, shut up." She pushed the two away as her lips pulled up slightly.

Interrupting their little friendship moment, the kettle blasted air out of its spout with a high pitched whistle. Once Kassidy poured the tea into the mugs, she looked towards the siblings. "Can one of you give these to Clary and Jace, please?"

"You don't even have to ask." Belles took a mug into each hand. "I got Clary, you-" She looked at Alec as she backed out of the room. "-give Jace's his."

Once she was out of the kitchen, Alec spoke up. "He'll come around, he always does."

Sighing, Kas looked up at him. "I hope you're right, Xander."

"With you, I'm always right." He smirked at the 'hey' that left her mouth. Kissing the top of her head, he took Jace's mug in his other hand, leaving the warlock alone in the kitchen once more.

Watching him leave with a sigh, Kassidy grabbed her and her father's tea and went towards his study. Knocking once she got there, the door opened by itself.

"Here's your tea." Kassidy placed it down on his desk on top of a coaster.

"Thanks, Stringbean." Magnus took the cup and took a sip. "Now, are you going to tell me why you're avoiding your sister?"

"She's the one who made it very clear she does not want to speak to me." She took a set in the chair across from him.

"Clary was just...caught off guard." He waved his hand about.

"No, getting caught off guard is you using the same fake out during training and me still not seeing it." Kassidy pointed her finger lazily at him. "She backed away in fear. Whether I like it or not, the night has come back to bite me in the ass once again."

"Language." The older warlock gave her a look.

She smirked into her mug. "Sorry."

"Kassidy." Magnus turned serious. "She will come around."

Kas bit her lip as she looked towards the doorway. "I hope so."

—-------

The sun had just reached its peak in the sky when Clary finished with the pentagram. Calling out to everyone that it was ready, the warlocks and shadowhunters walked into the room where the redhead was.

"Jocelyn was right, your artistry is beyond compare." Magnus said as he admired the art while Kas discreetly rolled her eyes at the mention of that woman.

Clary's cheeks burned from the praise. "I don't know about that."

"Oh, the only other person I've known who could draw as well was Michelangelo, who was excellent in bed, I might add."

"Dad." Kassidy rolled her eyes, not wanting to hear about his adventures in the sack.

Her father at least had the decency to look somewhat apologetic. "Okay. We're ready. Everyone take your rightful place on the pentagram."

"Um...but there's only five points and there's six of us." The redhead pointed out.

"I'm staying out of it." The blonde warlock fiddled with her fingers as she took a step back. "I'm only here in case something goes wrong."

"That's the only reason?" Her sister questioned, causing Kas' face to go blank.

Clearing his throat, Magnus guided Clary over to one of the points. "Why don't you just stand here and focus on getting your memories back."

After everyone picked their points, the oldest warlock in the room held out his hands. "We must initiate a bond. Once this bond is sealed, it cannot be broken until the demon retreats. No matter what happens, we must not let go of each other's hands."

As Alec was standing next to Magnus, he grabbed the warlock's hand with uncertainty. Then he took Jace's, who in turn held onto Clary's.

"You people are pathetic." Izzy scoffed slightly at the sight before her as she took hold of Clary's and Magnus' hands.

Looking over at his daughter, the two seemed to have a conversation with just their eyes. After a few bits of back and forth, Magnus began explaining what was going to happen. "I will lead the ceremony, and you all must do exactly as I say. The demon's name is Valak. And at some point, he will ask for payment in exchange for Clary's memories."

"What do you mean?" Jace's brows furrowed. "What kind of payment?"

"We will see. Let us begin." As he began chanting, Belle's necklace started to glow.

"The necklace. It's pulsing." Izzy said as the wind in the room picked up and a black cloud formed in front of them.

"Valak is among us. Do not break the bond." The warlock ordered.

Kassidy, seeing it form, stood up straighter and took a deep breath knowing that if something happened her and her magic would need to step in.

"Hold on!" Jace cried out as it got harder to keep hold of one another.

Clary grimaced as her hair whipped at her face. "I'm trying!"

"It is time-" The warlock leading the summoning circle yelled over the noise. "-the demon demands payment."

"What does it want?" Xander screamed out.

"We must each relinquish a beloved memory of the one we love the most." Magnus tells the group, as he watched the black fog grow.

The first person to relinquish a memory was Izzy, it was Alec stealing a piece of her cheesecake in a little shop that Kas recognized as the bakery in Brighton that she constantly takes the group to. The next memory that was to be eaten by the demon was Clary's. It was of Jocelyn pushing child her on a swing set, even if it wasn't a surprise to Kassidy, she hid the hurt that it caused.

The next memory that got pulled was Alec's, and while it wasn't shocking to Izzy and Kas, to everyone else it was. The memory that was taken from him was of Jace. However, it was one neither girl could recognize. Yes, they recognized the background, it was of one of the training rooms in the Institute, but that's all they could see.

In a flair of panic, Alec eyes bugged out of his head, afraid to look over at his parabatai who he knew was looking at him with his mouth hung open. "No, it's not true! The demon deceived me!"

"Do not break the bond!" Noticing his panic, Magnus yelled out.

"Alec, it's okay!" Izzy tried calming him down.

But her brother already made up his mind. "No!"

Already knowing what he was going to do, Kas yelled out his name right when Alec let go. "Xander, don't!"

"Alec!"

"No!"

Rushing to her father, Kassidy grabbed his hand. Blue and green magic swirled between their connected fingers, the magic already knowing what to do as doing spells together wasn't out of the ordinary. The Bane's held out their other hand, holding the demon in place so it didn't escape and run havoc in the city of New York.

"We cannot contain the demon much longer!" Magnus grunted as Kas gritted her teeth. She's been using her magic to an alarming degree today and it was starting to show.

Alec, wanting to help after what he caused, goes to the demon to fight it but didn't see another tentacle coming at him. Jace, spotting this, pushes him out of the way. "No!" It latches onto the blonde shadowhunter, pulling him into the fog. Acting quickly, Izzy grabs his arm, trying to pull him out.

"Jace!" Izzy looked at Alec with a frantic look in her eye. "Grab him! Grab him!"

Finally snapping out of it, Alec grabs Jace's other arm. "Hold on!"

The eldest Bane dug his heels into the floor. "The demon is growing stronger!"

"Kas!" Belle's called out.

"I know, I know!" Kassidy's voice sounded strained as sweat dripped down her forehead.

The brunette archer's hand slipped, causing Jace to get lost in the memory demon even more. "He's slipping!"

"Clary!" Isabelle called over her shoulder. "Help us!"

"Clary, if you kill the demon, your memories will be lost forever!" Magnus informed the redhead causing her to pause her movements.

"Help us!"

Clary, not knowing what to choose, looks over at the only other person in the room that understood what she was going through, her long lost sister. Hearing Magnus' warning, she knew not getting her memories back would not only hurt herself, but her as well.

As she watched her, time seemed to slow. Clary saw the strain that Kassidy was carrying and the look of worry on her face at the thought of losing Jace mixed with the thought that she would never remember their time together.

Looking down at the blade, she made a choice. A choice she'd hope was the right one. Clary, with determination in her eyes, thrusted the seraph blade into the demon and watched as it disintegrated into nothing. As it vanished out of existence, Jace was released from its clutches.

Finally pulling away from the spell, Kas slid towards Jace, helping Izzy and Alec catch him as he fell onto the floor unconscious. As they laid him on the floor, the blonde warlock checked for his pulse.

"He has a pulse." Kas told the others before patting his cheek. "Jace. Come on, Snowcone. We can't just fight then you go and almost die, that's not fair. Wake up, please."

"Jace, get up." Alec shook his shoulder.

"Is he gonna be alright?" The red-head looked towards Magnus.

"I don't know." He shrugged. "Does he normally just lay like that without moving?"

"Dad." Kas didn't even bother looking up at her father.

Alec choked back tears. "Get up. Jace."

Jace's eyes shot open as he gasped. He leaned forward coughing, trying to get his breathing back to normal. "I'm alright. I'm alright. I'm alright. I'm just getting my second wind."

"God, you're a jerk." Kas slapped his shoulder, watching Alec leave through her peripheral. "You almost died."

"Can't get rid of me that easy." Jace smirked, catching Kas's hand as she went to slap his shoulder again. "I'm sorry." He brought her hand to his lips to lay a gentle kiss on it. "I'm sorry for everything."

Kas gave him a look. "Are you apologizing because you almost died or because you generally feel bad for what you said?" When he didn't answer, she scoffed. "Yeah, okay." Kassidy stood up, whipping her hands on her jeans before looking at Izzy. "He's all yours, I'm gonna check on Xander."

"Kas, wait-" Jace called out to her, but she'd already left the room in search of Alec. Groaning, he let his head hang.

—-------

Alec leaned on the balcony's railing, watching the many people that walked the streets of New York, only glancing up when he heard the footsteps of a certain blonde warlock.

Taking a spot next to him, she looked out. "He's fine, at worst just a couple bruises. Nothing an Iratze can't fix." Kas turned to face her friend when he didn't respond. "Xander, come on. Talk to me."

"It's my fault." He whispered as he avoided eye contact. "I'm the one who broke the circle, I'm the reason the demon almost escape, why Jace's hurt, why Clary will never remember yo-"

"Stop it." She placed a hand on his bicep. "No one is blaming you. You got overwhelmed, it could've happened to anybody."

"But it didn't, it happened to me." Alec shook his head. "When that memory showed I just..." He cut himself off with a sigh, rubbing his hand over his face. "...what if he knows?"

Kassidy wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him into a tight hug. "Then he knows." Alec nuzzled his head onto her shoulder. "Him finding out you have feelings is not the worst thing in the world, trust me."

"What if he thinks it's weird?" He mumbles into her shirt as his insecurities took over.

"Weird?" Kas snickered lightly, pulling back from the hug, keeping her hands on his shoulders. "Alexander Lightwood. There is nothing 'weird' about it. I am bi, my dad is bi, your sister is pan, and I know for a fact that Clary's kissed a couple girls before." She smiled when she saw her friend crack one. "If anything, Snowcone in there is the 'weird' one."

Before anything else could be discussed further, a knock rang out behind them.

—-------

Clary stood in the living room with one arm crossed over her chest and the other one messing with her chin as she watched the best friends through the window.

"It looks like you need this." Magnus took up a spot next to her, causing her to jump. "Sorry, I didn't mean to frighten you."

"No, it's fine." Clary shook her head, taking the drink from the warlock's hand. "Thank you."

"Don't mention it." He waved her off before taking a sip of his martini.

"Uhh, where's Jace?" Clary questioned, realizing she hadn't seen the man in a bit, or Izzy for that matter.

"Isabelle took him back to the Institute." The warlock head's bounced a bit before settling. "You can never be too careful with a greater demon attack."

"No, I guess not." The redhead agreed, already recognizing the dangers only after a couple days. "Alec and Kassidy seem close." Her eyes trailed back over to the two on the balcony, fishing for more information about her sister that she knew very little.

Magnus's eyes followed hers. "Oh, yes. From the stories she tells me, they make quite the team."

"Stories?" Clary repeated. "What kinda stories?"

"Ones that always leave me with worry." Magnus' voice had a hint of exasperation mixed with fondness.

"What's she like?" The question jumped out before she could think.

"Well..." A fond smile appeared on the warlock's face. "Kassidy got my flair for dramatics. Can't say I'm disappointed." Clary's lips quirked up. "She's also kind, kinder than most and very protective of those she loves, for she loves...deeply. Too deeply sometimes, I'm afraid." He whispered the last part.

"She sounds..." She tried to find the right word. "...wonderful."

"She is, isn't she." Unlike Clary's, Magnus' voice did not hold any uncertainty. It was clear to anyone that the warlock was proud of the person his daughter had become. He cleared his throat a few seconds later. "Clary, I hope you know that your sister-"

"Loves me?" She cut him off, already knowing what he was going to say. "I know, Izzy said that she did and that the reason Kassidy never talked to me was because of...guilt?"

"Yes and no." Magnus placed both of their drinks on the cart closest to them. "Jocelyn, your mother, didn't want you near her at all after the incident."

Clary's brows furrowed. "What happened?"

"The only thing I can say is that it's because of that scar behind your ear." He gestured to it. For the third time that day, the redhead touched the scar that ran behind her ear all the way down to the base of her jaw. "My daughter has always been the one who wanted to tell you everything. If you want to know more about your past, she's right out there." Magnus patted her shoulder as he stepped past her and headed to the kitchen.

Watching him walk out of the room, Clary's eyes return to the window once he was out of eye sight. Once she saw Kas pull Alec into a bear hug, she sucked in a breath and forced her feet to move in the direction of the door.

"-I am bi, my dad is bi, your sister is pan, and I know for a fact that Clary's kissed a couple girls before. If anything, Snowcone in there is the 'weird' one."

Knowing that there wasn't a good way to break her way into their conversation, Clary scrunched up her face and knocked on the door frame. When their faces turned to look over at the intruder, the redhead fiddled with her fingers. "Hi-um-sorry. I just, uh, was hoping me and Kassidy could talk. In private. If that's okay, with you...two."

"Uhh..." Kassidy looked back over at Alec.

"Go." He jerked his head over to the redhead. "I'll be fine."

"You sure?" She questioned.

"I'm sure." He nodded.

Smiling, she took hold of his chin, bringing it down to kiss him on the cheek. "I love you, remember that."

Alec's lips quirked up. "Love you too, now go."

Patting his check, Kas turned towards Clary. "We can talk in my room."

—-------

"Wow." Was the first word out of Clary's mouth when she entered her twins room to see a literal wall of nothing but books. "Have you read all of these?"

Kassidy shifted her body to look over at the redhead. "Oh, uh, yeah. A majority of them are spell books." She explained. "I have them memorized, but you never throw them out though, just in case."

"You memorized all of them?" The younger twin's gaze fell onto the oldest, eyes filled with disbelief. "How'd you find the time, didn't you have school?"

"I was homeschooled." Kas shrugged her jacket off, exposing the vine tattoo that covered her right arm. "It was, um, too dangerous for me not to be."

"Oh."

"Yeah."

Silence fell upon the twins.

"So,-"

"So,-"

The two said at the same time.

"Sorry-you go first-"

Giggling a little, Kassidy held up her hand. "You go."

"Okay." Clary nodded and then asked the question that Kas knew was coming. "What happened between us? I wanna know the reason why Mom separated us."

Kassidy licked her lips and took a seat on her bed. "You might wanna sit down." The redhead sat down next to the blonde. "...we were six. I had my powers for a little bit less than a year, and Jocelyn...didn't like 'em. She forbade me from using it near you and since we were together all the time, I never really learned how to control my magic. But...you were enamored by it, so I...didn't stop."

Clary hung onto every word. "One night, you woke me up, said you wanted to play with the 'lightbugs'." The warlock's lips pulled up into a fond smile. "Fast forward a little bit, and you were jumping on the furniture as I was levitating it." The smile vanished and Kas' sister could see the guilt that lingered in her heart. "But you were going too fast and I panicked, I lost control and...instead of catching you like I wanted, my magic sliced you and you fell onto the tile and...you wouldn't wake up."

"Jocelyn took us to my Dad and after he healed you, she made him take your memories of the shadow-world...which also included me." Kassidy's gaze was locked on the floor. "All the while we were asleep." The last part was a mere whisper.

Clary sat there horrified as she took it all in. First her mother was part of some sort of fascist group and now she forced her to forget Kassidy for something that wasn't even her fault? Her view of her mother was slowly going down hill.

"Kassidy,-" The shadowhunter placed her hand on the warlock's knee, trying to provide some comfort. "-it wasn't your fault."

Kas' eyes widened as she looked over at her sister. Clary didn't blame her? Sure, Magnus has told her countless times that what happened wasn't her fault, but she never believed him. "What?"

"What happened was awful, but you were a child. Mom shouldn't have acted that way." Clary explained. "I'm so sorry that happened to you."

The warlock opened her mouth to say something, but looked down at Clary's hand and spotted something on her wrist. "You're wearing it." She whispered as she looked at the charm bracelet. Noticing the confused look her sister was giving her, the blonde explained. "The bracelet...you're wearing the bracelet."

"Oh?" Clary was still confused as she pulled it to her face. "Yeah, I got it when I was twelve. Then every year after that there would be a box on my bed with another charm, this year was a forget-me-not..." She trailed off, a sudden realization popping into her mind. "This is from you, isn't it?" It wasn't a question. "I always asked Mom about it, but she just told me to drop it."

"Sounds like her." Kas muttered to herself before changing the topic. "I knew I couldn't be there for you growing up, so I got you the bracelet. If I couldn't protect you, then at least that would."

"Protect me?"

"The charms are enchanted, only small ones. But it gave me a sense of peace, I guess." She gave a half shrug. "There's only so much I could do from the shadows."

"All these years,-" It was the shadowhunter's turn to have wide eyes. "-you've been protecting me?"

"You're my twin, I'll always protect you." Kas didn't skip a beat with her answer.

"...thank you." Clary whispered, not knowing what else to say.

Kassidy gave her a half smile. "You don't have to thank me. It's my job, it has been since we were little kids."

"Right." The redhead winced a little. "I wish I could remember us being kids together."

A light bulb went off in the warlock's head. "Hold that thought." Sliding off the bed, she walked over to her bedside table and opened the drawer to pull out a photo album. "Here." Kassidy held it out. "I know it's not your memories, but I think you'll like it."

Taking it out of her hand, Clary sat it on her lap and opened it. The book was filled with pictures of her and Kassidy when they were young. "Is that..."

"Us?" Kas took the set next to Clary again. "Yep. When your mother left me here, she dropped off everything that was mine or had me so you'd, you know."

"You had red hair too?" Clary could feel a smile growing as she flipped through the pages.

"Still do, it's just glamored to be blonde." Kassidy told her. "Easier than dyeing it."

The redhead's focus went to her sister. "Why do you have it glamored?"

"I have my reasons." Was all the blonde said before changing the topic. "That's one of my favorite memories of us." She pointed to the picture where Clary was on a swing and Kassidy was pushing her. "We were four and you wanted to be an astronaut, so we went to the park down the street thinking you could get there if you'd swang high enough." A breathy laugh came out. "And while I was pushing you, you'd said-"

"Kazzie, higher." The shadowhunter finished with a distant look in her eyes. "I wanna go to the moon." Snapping out of it, her eyes filled with shock as her gaze landed on Kassidy. "H-How do I know that?"

"Memory spells are finicky." The warlock, already prepared for this question ever since she saw the drawing, began explaining. "If a person's psyche is strong enough, memories can come back in flashes through dreams. I-uh...expected you remembered something, you just, didn't know how to focus on it."

"What do you mean you 'expected I remembered something'?" Clary's brows furrowed.

Kassidy pulled a piece of paper from her back pocket. "When I dropped your present off, I took this. I know I shouldn't have, but...it gave me hope." Gently taking it from her hand, the younger twin unfolded it and gaped at what she saw. "You drew me, that's why I expected it. My dad thought it was a one time thing, but I guess he was wrong. Just don't tell him I said that." Kas knocked Clary's shoulders with hers.

"I guess I always knew something was missing in my life." The redhead began. "And when I found out I was a shadowhunter, I thought that was it. Guess I was wrong too."

The blonde's lips quirked up. "Yeah, I guess you were." Sucking in a breath, Kas closed the album. "Here, I want you to take this. It may not help with the memories, but you'll be able to see 'em."

"No, I can't take this." Clary shook her head, pushing it away. "This is yours, I-uh,-can't take it from you."

The young Bane pushed it back. "It's technically yours too, take it."

Knowing she wasn't going to convince her to keep it, Clary thought of something else. "How about you and I look through it together, tonight? At the Institute, just us?"

The smile on Kassidy Bane's face lit up the room. "I'd like that."

—-------

So, I literally just reread the whole story and I realized that I keep moving Clary's scar from the night of the twins separation. Sorry! At this point forward the scar runs from behind her ear to the base of her jawline.

It will stay that way for the rest of the story, so if you see me describing it "from the ear to the base of her neck", no you didn't. 😅

Also, here are a couple pictures so it's easier to view what Kas looks like and not to just imagine Mia Smoak from CW's Arrow. (Found all this on Google, btw)

Hair -

Jewelry -

Tattoo -

Bedroom -

And one other thing, next chapter we learn how it's possible for Kassidy and Clary to be separate species! You excited, I'm excited.

Happy New Year!

- DA

P.S This has not been proofread.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

160K 4.6K 28
"She put a binding rune on the door. I can't get it open." "I'd say she doesn't want to see you." #1 in "magnus" Andina Wayland has grown up with...
141K 4.4K 72
The greatest Shadowhunter of his generation is what they say about the legendary Jace Wayland. But, what you don't know, is that they also say the sa...
205K 3.1K 25
Shadow Hunters are people that are half angel half mundane (human). They protect the human word from the demon world, downworlders. Kayla Wayland is...