Duplicitous | T.N.

By sofiamariaisabel1

Aurora the sleeping beauty, damned to a boundless doze. Only true loves kiss had the power to haul her from s... More

Cast
I • 42 days, 1008 hours, 60 480 minutes and 362 8800 seconds
II • Nail chewing is a bad habit
III • Little Miss too perfect for me
IV • What are you hiding?
V • True colours
VI • Prejudice
VII • Physiological warfare
VIII • That one blissful moment
IX • More Angst
X • Every time 'Great' is said, note the sarcasm
XI • Dumbledores Army
XII • Half the angel
XIII • No clubs
XIV • Pure Dread
XV • Spells and Stunning
XVI • Two graves
XVII • A sneaky bugger
XVIII • Drowning sorrows in thick liquor
XIX • Anthony Creevey
XX • Shame
XXI • Downturned Glares
XXII • A brush with war
XXIII • Red & Green Ying & Yangs
XXIV • Two Stolen Angels
XXV • Selfish Hatred
XXVI • Repeated Mistakes
XXVII • Stern memories
XXVIII • Sleeping Beauty
XXIX • To reign hell
XXX • Injuries and Assumptions
XXXI • Armestice
XXXII • Bad news at Breakfast
XXXIII • Forbidden Serpent
XXXIV • Jovial Encounters
XXXV • Daring Lions & Crafty Serpents
XXXVI • I made a friend...
XXXVII • Almosts & Atelophobia
XXXVIII • Triumphed smiles
XXXIX • Hit me
XL • The real Fox
XLII • Concealed shames
XLIII • Pretty Blondes
XLIV • Stained, inky crushes
XLV • My father
XLVI • Various departures
XLVII • Owed Favours
XLVIII • Authentic sneers
XLIS • Parrallel || lellarraP • XLIS
L • Fantasy Letters
LI • A corpes' touch
LII • Nott acceptable
LIII • A scented boy
LIV • Cast under influence
LV • An Opal Curse
LVI • The end marks the beginning, the beginning marks the end
LVII • In the rain
LVIII • Cruel Bastards
LIX • A loathing
LX • Red handed
LXI • Deceitful doves
LXII • Once upon a dream
LXIII • The prodigal boyfriend
LXIV • Gothic fears and families
LXV • Bewitched minds
LXVI • The highs and hows of a teenage girl
LXVII • Complexion
LXVIII • Jam on toast
LXIX • Familiar Faces

XLI • I can't

2.4K 62 45
By sofiamariaisabel1

Aurora had the focus of a lion hunting it's prey. Never does the great beast turn to admire the view, nor does it ever willingly allow its meal to escape. In order to obtain its dinner, it remains extremely attentive. Like the predator, Auroras focus does not stray when her interest is peaked.

Her mind fixated entirely on her Patronus. She had allowed for the nostalgia to overwhelm her, as she pronounced the spell of which became engraved in her head, and from her wand, once again did the fox leap from her wand and dance around her.

Sitting alone in the corner of the library, the rows of shelves sheltering the blue magic she cast. If Umbridge or her squad were to learn of the practical work she did, Rory knew without a doubt she'd be punished. The fox nestled it's snout into the back of her palm, where the faded scribbles sat. It's mind connected to hers, felt her troubles and sought to brighten her mood.

The figment of her spell, playfully circled her. Chuckling in amusement as it messed around, bounced and tumbled in a silly manner. The creature was beautiful, if it weren't to be appreciated by her friends she sure would.

"Is that a Patronus?" Came a stiff voice, the tint curiosity shadowing his casually angered way of speaking. Theodore approached cautiously, bag thrown lazily over his right shoulder, head bent forward as his jaw slaked in bewilderment. He shrugged the bag off and as he did the book filled sack collapsed sluggishly to the floor, paying it no mind as he unashamedly stared at the creature.

Pulling himself out a chair, his arms laid flat before him. A ghost of a smile played warily on his lips, the drowning with the overwhelming sense of accomplishment and happiness hit him, a common unconscious reaction when handling such light magic.

The small creature, jumped behind his shoulder and over to Aurora again, clearly enthralled by the attention. Theodore chuckled half heartedly at the fox. Whilst the young Slytherins eyes remained glued to the animal, Aurora narrowed her eyes into slits as he so casually sat right by her. For weeks Theo had been reluctant to any form of conversation. The conversation they had previously formed a wedge and she didn't understand it, if anything she deemed such conversation to connect people rather than seperate them.

Surprisingly his words were thoughtful, kind. He apparently wasn't. "Is it difficult?" She sassed. He frowned in confusion, his gaze refusing to part from her whimsical creation. "Conversing with me?." She paused, eyed slimming further. "Willingly."

"Well, you did spend weeks not conversing with me." He tsk'd, right back. Somewhat defeated she sighed. It was true, but that was because of the badge that she had found, the badge that he still continued to wear.

"I had my reasons." She mumbled. The boy chuckled back, eyes not meeting hers, he kept them towards the hue of content.

"A fox." He grinned, finally shifting his view to get a look at her. Her face was blank, mildly flushed from the mid winter air, her freckles had long faded since the summer, shame. His voice lowered to a whisper. "Fitting." With deep hesitation, her eyebrows furrowed in accusation, before the smallest of smiles spread onto her face. He didn't waste his time turning back to the fox.

His smile dimmed, growing soft and unsure. Looking at the fox engulfed him with such happiness, he was practically high off it. The beauty of the Patronus was that it inspired such purity, such warmth. It had Theodore aching for more.

Theo had experienced his fair share of happiness, with his mother and friends, other sources of peace were limited. He cherished whatever he could grasp, snatching it and embracing it close as though it may wither away between his fingers before he could soak up any of the simple goodness.

He had felt the pureness whither before him before. Sometimes in a more literal sense than others. A dementor was birthed for the purpose of stealing the good and crushing it between its stick like nails. He had been in the presence of many dementors. His father, he was aware, was one of the Dark lords most faithful servants. Growing up some of his earliest memories was Theodore Snr, drunkenly mumbling of his ambitions to maintain the spot of his favourite follower. His father hoped the same for Theo.

Since those dark times, the moments had blackened further. The Dark lord returned, Theodore had been in the same house. Never had they once been in the same room, but that didn't mean he couldn't feel the sense of aloneness that birthed in his wake. He could also recall the vile tug of his heartstrings, when a dementor once literally flew past his bedroom window. After that, Christmas Day hadn't seemed so great anymore. It had physically dulled in allure.

Earlier that Christmas morning Theodore was already aware of the scheduled visit the Dark lord himself had planned.The young Slytherin had hopes of avoiding a 'sour' interaction. He spent the morning locked in his room, but as his window, within moments, frosted over, the single flower dropped and his stomach grew heavy as he watched the cloaked figure hover by, he knew he didn't need to experience a face to face 'sour' interaction to be sickeningly aware that Voldemort was in his house.

Auroras light magic before him, stitched up the empty pit that dementor had left. He knew whatever refuge he sought from the Patronus would be temporary, especially when living a life like his own, Theodore couldn't help but thirst for more of it. "How do you do it?" He quietly demanded, a spectator would've assumed he was mumbling to himself.

"Huh?"

"Cast a Patronus." He stated rudely. Turning back to her, his eyes had a hint of pleading swimming in the sea of faded blue. Aurora couldn't tell if the blue was just the reflection of her Patronus, or if his eyes had just always been that way. She found herself wanting to figure it out.

"It's a little tricky, but the steps are fairly basic." As the words mumbled from her glossed lips a string of hope hit him, perhaps the next time he would be forced to endure the coldness of his home, he could warm his bedroom with the company of such a creature.

"Teach me." It just blurted out.

"Here?" She was a bit hesitant.

"Here." He wasn't.

"If Umbridge were to catch us." Hissing, her thumb unconsciously rubbed over the uneven skin of the back of her hand. She massaged the scarring with her tender touchX

He understood boundaries. He understood them well. Growing up, Theodore constantly established his own, regularly confirming that he did not wish to be touched. His eyes lowered down to the movement. He felt his boundaries dive out the window. Brows furrowed, he swiftly snatched her hand.

He could partially decipher letters. 'Y' & 'M' we're the only two he could actually read, the phrase was lost in a sea of scribbles, letters piling over letters. Her had was scarred, he recognised the form of magic. The Patronus faded.

"I remember my bastard uncle, forcing my cousin to write with such a quill." Frowning he cleared his throat. "He too wore a matching scar." Pitifully snatching her hand back she held it to her chest. "If I'm being honest my cousin was a brat, rightfully earned punishment but. The blood ink always freaked me out. Professor Umbridge is a nasty old crone huh?"

"Yet you still work for her." She nodded to the glistening badge, the hue of the light even bounced off the silver and blinded her once or twice.

He didn't respond to her snappy response, instead, redirected the topic of conversation back to what he had initially been hoping for. "Teach me to cast a Patronus." She sighed in retaliation. "We can go somewhere more secluded." When she didn't immediately agree he sighed.

"We're supposed to be doing our potions assignment." Clearing her throat, a sign meant to send the hint that she was ignoring him. Straightening her posture before turning away and searching her bag for her stationaries she kept her attention attached to her work.

"Ah come on." He grimaced, a sound of protest emerged from the back of his throat. "The world won't end if we miss one little assignment preparation." She seemed reluctant. "We passed out O.W.L.S, N.E.W.T.S aren't until next year, we'll be fine." He was attempting to downplay it, Theo figured if he made it seem like it wasn't a big deal she may fall for it. Aurora Flores wasn't naive, shooting him a deadpanned expression to prove that she was unimpressed.

"One." She huffed when he refused to stop pestering her with his constant pleading. "We skip just this once, you and I both know that this is a big deal and that it does affect our N.E.W.T.S, so just this once." Her voice turned stern as she rolled her eyes in immediate regret.

"How I missed feisty you." Beaming before drumming his palms against the table, jumping up and leaving to collect his things by the end of his chair.

She rolled her eyes, before collecting her own products and slipping out form the library in tow of Theodore who seemed oddly enthusiastic. Aurora had spotted traces of this version of him, whether he be animatedly chatting with Blaise Zabini, or winking cheekily at Daphne as he'd fool her into a prank of sorts.

"Where exactly are we going?" She called from behind him. Her voice was husked as they stepped into the cold air of winter.

"I know this nice spot along the black lake, it's secluded by the first row of trees. Too far to be seen, yet close enough there are no chances of any danger. Just on the rim of the dark forest." He assured.

Aurora had no fear of the dark, nor did she of trees, but she knew when it wasn't the time to be dumb. She had ventured to the dark forest on multiple occasions, each time it brought an unsettling tingle down her spine. As though a long stick-ish finger was trailing down her back, warning her. She shivered.

With caution, they pushed open the door that separated them from the outdoors. Curfew had not yet come, but everyone was expected to be indoors after dark. The moon peaked through the silhouette of trees, the sun long gone. They were not supposed to be out there.

A small pang struck her chest. Her foot bounced. The last detention she had was a result of her doing exactly this. He was there then too. He received region also. Perhaps they could just go back.

"Not having second thoughts are we?" He dared, at least ten steps ahead of her, well outside by then. "Afraid to break the rules?" He was challenging her. She knew it'd be smarter not to amuse him, raising her chin smugly before stomping past him anyway. He chuckled as her shoulder shoved his.

With his hands buried into his pockets, he walked steady pace beside her. It was silent, but a single question played at his mind. "What do you think I'll be?"

"What do you mean?" She tilted her head.

"My Patronus." He mumbled, mildly ashamed. "What animal do you reckon I'll get?" He didn't turn to face her, his neck and ears warmed. Theodore was aware that he most probably sounded rather pathetic, he couldn't help it, the enthusiasm was enthralling.

"Uh a snake." She grinned cheekily.

Scoffing, he turned to face her. "Because I'm Slytherin?"

"No because you're a slithering, scaly asshole." She huffed, arms remained crossed before her as she attempted to maintain her body warmth.

Snorting in response a small smile spread. "Sounds about right." He bit his tongue. "But really?" Trying again he flinched, despising how vulnerable he sounded, but he ignored that for the purpose of his question.

"I don't know." She quietened. "I don't really know you all that well." Her shoulders shrugged upwards and into her chin.

His insides shrivelled, face hardening, as did his tone "Yeah. You don't." Then he walked ahead of her. The coldness of his words were intended. She didn't know him, that was simple. He was simply using her to teach him how to cast a Patronus, and then they'd carry on with their very seperate lives.

He knew her. A small voice in his head gave it's input, internally he remained unimpressed by the positive aspect of his mind. It's input was unwanted.

She frowned as he brushed past her. Theodore's posture became alarmingly stiff as he walked ahead of her, by that point he wasn't even ignoring her. She just wasn't there to him.

Chewing her tongue she jumped forward. "A Lynx is fairly secretive." She casually observed. "Dragons are strong in their convictions, not the type to beat around the bush." Brows furrowed, he looked down at her in confusion as she babbled on. "Oooh, perhaps a wolf." Grinning up at him she offered another possibility.

Looking forward stoically, his face was blank, emotionless. After a moment of consideration a small grin pulled at his face. "A wolf seems cool."

"Doesn't it?" She beamed ahead. "The wolf tend to be the silent type, they'll protect their friends and family with a passion." She chuckled. "Underneath it all, they can be fairly playful you know?"

His eyebrows, aghast. "I am not playful." Words were stern although appalled by the idea of being 'silly'. In truth his insides churned, he could be playful, when he wanted to be.

It didn't take long for their words to fade as an awkwardness grew. Conversation had slowed. They each jumped to speak, an attempt to fill the defeating silence.

"So-"

"You're-"

They each paused. A moment of discomfort harshly slapped them both right across the face. The strike was a reminder of how pathetic they each were. He shook his head an attempt to forget the metaphoric slap. "You go." He offered. Pathetic. The pessimist of his head scolded.

"I was just saying..." she smiled cheekily. "Imagine getting a rat for a Patronus." Theo grimaced at the thought. "It'd be funny if you did." She cackled under her breath.

"That will not happen." He stated, mostly to himself.

"Are you telling me? Or are you trying to confirm it for yourself?" She grinned wickedly, a slyness hinting in between the lines of her words. "I reckon you'll get a filthy rodent. Now that, that'll match."

"Mind your tongue, you little piantagrane." He snapped. "I shall not be a rodent for Merlin sakes." Shivering, he chuckled. 
                                             (Italian| troublemaker)

"Pian - te... huh?" She attempted, looking askance. "That sounds-"

He interrupted. "Italian. My mother was Italian." Looking further ahead, memories plagued him. By the time he was first  speaking, his mother insisted he learn her language. Theodore Nott Snr never cared nor encouraged Theo to learn any more after her death, that was a decision Theo himself made.

He cherished his mothers memory

"What does it mean?" She questioned.

He grinned widely, shrugging in a teasing manner before facing ahead once again. "We're here."

Auroras eyes were quickly dragged from the side of his head and towards a clearing, sheltered by the first row of trees the dark forest had to offer. Fern and baby's breath grew all over, the moss latched itself to the rocks of the lake, and crawled over to where they stood. The sight had her smiling.

Grasping her by the wrist he pulled her to the centre of the opening. She stared up in question. Moonlight peaked through the trees, water droplets shone and the shadows shifted away from them. Huh. She thought. So his eyes are blue.

"Okay." He nodded once. "So now what?"

"Think of a happy memory." Her expression soft as her voice dimmed. The words had Theodore frozen. He rarely divulged about the past, not to analyse the happy memories. He found himself unsure what to think of. "One that can engulf you with all the love you could possibly handle."

Alessia Nott. She was his first happy memory. He quickly noticed that she was also his last. Nostalgia flooded him, but happiness did not. Whatever thought he could summon of her was flawed, tainted by the aftermath that was his father. Any happy moment of his mother was countered by his father.

"Theodore." Called his mothers voice. "Come, my darling, we're making scones." The two giggled amongst each other as they scavenged for ingredients.

"Why can't the elves make them mum?" A young Theodore gazed up at his mother tugging at her sleeves to grasp her attention.

"Well where's the fun in that?" Her smile ceased to fade. "Come on, while your fathers out. We will make the most delicious scones in all of London." She cackled. Her laugh, he sighed, he loved her laugh.

Alessia lifted her son onto the countertop. Booping his nose, the two got to baking. A mess was made laughs were achieved, the darkness of their house was quickly vanquished. It always was when he was with his mum.

"Now where is that jam?" She huffed, hands in her hips. As the beautiful lady, searched the draws and cupboards she failed to notice as Theodore muffled his giggles, a jar of jam pressed tightly to his chest. With his fingers he swiped up the delicious mixture before licking it off and savouring the glorious taste. "Oh my." She gasped at the sight of her son, face red with jam. "Why you little."

She leaped for him, but before she could grasp her boy into a tight embrace, he dashed. Swerving through the kitchen he scurried off as his mother eagerly followed. "Come here you little rascal." His giggles birthed at the sound of her voice, they died out when he near collided with his father.

It didn't take long for the beautiful memory to morph into a bad one.

Picking flowers with her in the meadow, withered to the memory of being punished because he was a boy and boys shan't like flowers. Hide and seek in the manor, simply reminded him of hiding from his fathers fury. His mother, as much as he loved her, would always remind him of his father.

He hadn't noticed how much time had past as he attempted to find a happy enough memory, along with the clock, his hope faded.

"I can't." He spat. "Is there another way." Looking down at Aurora, he demanded the alternative.

"I'm sure we could find some happy memory." Her words were comforting, but useless. "Don't worry, it often takes a while. Took me an hour."

"No. You don't get it." His foot twitched and his fingers twisted and fidgeted. "Is there another way?"

"No - but." He turned around, ignoring her protests. "It can take a while but we'll find that mem-."

"Stop?" He roared. Spinning back on his heel he turned to face the witch. Her composure shrunk and she grew timid. "Don't you get it?" He sighed. "I don't have a memory happy enough."
She went silent. At the display of her defeat, Theodore turned back around and stormed off. She watched as his figure left, her eyes followed until the trees confined him and she could no longer see. When he was out of sight, her sympathy and thoughts of him did not dwindle.

His words hung through the air even after he left. Gravity snatched the air from her as she longingly stared in the direction. His absence was too noticeable then, it crushed her, suffocated her, had her gasping for breath. Theodore Nott had suffered much like she, Aurora knew this. It was beginning to occur to her that perhaps much darker stories infested the tale of his life. With her head hung low, she walked back to the castle.

• • •

The lady in the painting, frowned as she allowed Rory to pass through and into the Gryffindor common room. The girls head still hung low as she walked past and into the room. The sight had her frozen. Harry sat with his hands in his lap, as he fiddled with his thumbs. The very second she walked into the room his head shot up as did his posture. Rory had a sneaking suspicion that he had been waiting for her.

"Where've you been?" He grimaced.

"Just out." Rory mumbled back, loss of words. She didn't know how to respond, already aware that Harry wouldn't appreciate the truth, she realised he didn't seem to appreciate the answer she was willing to provide him either.

"Of course you were." The boy scoffed.

"What is that supposed to mean?" Her arms folded before her, and her hip jutted to the side, she didn't like his answer, herself.

"What I said!" His shout was quieter, a whisper shout, muffled in fear of waking any sleeping Gryffindors. "What's changed? You've become so temperamental and -" Harry paused in search for the right word, he physically brightened when he found it. "And cold." Auroras arms quickly loosened her strong posture falling. "I bet it has to do with that Slytherin git, Nott."

"I barely know him." She soon defended herself. Lie. She liked to think she was getting to know him day by day.

"Oh, but you certainly spend a lot of time with him now right?" The chosen one went quiet, something rather unexpected with Harry, he was quick to continue after a minute. "It doesn't matter wether you know him or not, he has a nasty influence. You've just been so unlike you lately."

Theodore Nott had been influential, in a negative way too, but unbeknownst to Harry, it was in all the right ways. He had been nurturing her, giving her space to flourish whilst amongst him, apparently the attitude she had developed seemed to have been showing more than she'd anticipated.

"You yelled for the first time, you disappear, you roll your eyes, ignore what's been said, and you keep secrets now?" Raising his fingers one by one as he listed each difference, Aurora found herself nauseated, he was right, she was going down a dangerous path.

"That's not true." Her voice was firm, an attempt of leaving no room to argue, but the famous smart mouthed Harry Potter proceeded anyway.

"Did you know I had my first kiss?" Now she was silent. "Yeah, didn't think so. You don't bother to check up on us because you're never here!"

His words had her silent, jaw clamped tightly to prevent any thoughts or opinions from escaping. What he was saying was true, she had changed, she liked to think for the better, standing her ground. Theodore's goal had been to teach her to be selfish. Was she being too selfish? Whispers of self doubt rung through her temple.

Harry Potter stood before her, pain inflicted him from the inside and without. For weeks he had felt her absence, her distance, it ate at him, a constant reminder that he was alone. Aurora Flores was his big sister, and she had been occupied with her own priorities, something she had never done, not once throughout their entire relationship. He felt lost, he felt he had lost her, and it hurt him. It was then that he snapped.

The pressure of being the chosen one was heavy, she knew this and proceeded to do her own thing anyway. Rory knew he didn't have much, it pained her to come to the realisation that she had been selfish. "I'm sorry." Her voice came as a whisper. "I've been selfish." Rory's head hung low  in shame.

"No." Harry groaned. "No you haven't." His next words were hushed, they came out pained and almost shaky. "I just miss you." His shoulders shrugged in vulnerability.

"I miss you too." She sighed before taking three gracious, long strides and wrapping her arms around him tightly. She was still taller, her head rested over his own. In a matter of seconds did his arms shoot to embrace her middle. He couldn't handle losing her. His big sister.

The night moved slowly after that. Aurora and Harry sat down by the fire and engaged in lively conversation. "So." She grinned. "Who was the lucky one?"

A blush crawled up his neck and ears. "Cho. Just before Christmas."

She squealed. "Aww." She giggled. Her laugh was practiced. So was her smile.

"I have a date with her in a week. Help me prepare?" His desperation widened her smile.

"Of course, let's go to Hogsmeade tomorrow, I'll teach you every trick in the book." Their muted laughs rung through the room, and by the end of the night they had successfully awoken no one.

__________________________________
AN

Bleh.

Hope you liked it, I've been reading all of ur previous comments and I LOVE THEM, please don't stop.

Idk what else to say ig.

Have a nice day / evening / night xx

- Sofia

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4M 32.4K 50
A Theodore Nott Love Story. *** Everything isn't what it seems. *** "Lies! It's all lies, Theo!" I raised my voice, tears brimming the edge. "What...
166 3 13
A Harry Potter Universe Fanfiction!!! Emilia, mostly known as Emma, Nott was caring, compassionate, loving, loyal, trustworthy, pure... or at least t...
34.9K 956 82
The Regency Era in the Muggle World is not much different from the Magical World when it came to the busy time of what is called "The Social Season."...
174K 4K 44
Draco's eyes blazed with anger, "I fulfilled my promise. Theo made me swear to look after you and I did that." Hermione stood her ground, watching th...