Choosing Life

By Ginnyrules27

(Sequel to Choosing Home) With the threats to them and the kingdom finally dealt with, Mal and Ben are free t... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight

Chapter Thirty One

381 14 3
By Ginnyrules27

Eric ran a hand through his hair as he sat in the hospital waiting room. Honestly, it almost felt like a dream; his eldest daughter was having a baby of her own. And at the same time...he was terrified.

He knew what he'd told Elle, that the odds of her baby ending up like she did were astronomical and yet...the odd that he would fall in love with a mermaid were just as high. Hell, the odds that mermaids were real were just as high for that matter. And then there was the fact that he'd been hypnotized into almost marrying a sea witch...yeah he honestly didn't want to think about the odds there.

"Dad?" Melody asked, looking at her father. "Are...are you okay?"

Eric nodded. "I'm...I'm just nervous that's all. You know I was the same way when you gave birth."

"Dad, we both know you're more nervous about Elle and I don't blame you for that," Melody said, giving her father a small smile. Phil had offered to watch the twins once he heard that Elle was giving birth; reasoning that a hospital waiting room would be so boring for the kids and that his parents were happy to help watch them.

Melody wasn't going to lie, she happily took him up on his offer. Especially with King Kristoff, Queen Anna and Former Queen Elsa joining them. The last thing Melody wanted was to make it awkward for anyone.

"I'm guessing Akiho's back there with mom?" Melody asked, changing the subject slightly to get her dad's mind off of the reason why he'd be worried for his elder daughter.

Eric nodded. "I don't think he's left Elle's side the whole pregnancy, now that I think about it."

"He comes by it honestly," Anna called over to Eric. "Apologies for butting into your conversation."

"No, I understand," Eric nodded. "If someone was talking about Melody or Elle, I'd jump in myself. But what did you mean by Akiho comes by it honestly?"

Anna gestured over to her sister. "When I was pregnant with him, Elsa barely left my side. I honestly think she would have followed me into the bathroom if she needed to."

"Anna, did you forget about your tendency to follow me into fire?" Elsa asked, raising an eyebrow.

Anna shook her head. "I'll tell you right now the same thing that I told you then. If you don't want me following you into fire, then don't go into fire Elsa. But I wouldn't have gone into fire back then. Not when it would have risked my unborn child."

"Also I'm pretty sure Sven would have held her back if she did try to run into fire," Kristoff spoke up.

Elsa chuckled. "That's a very good point, I'd forgotten about Sven."

"Honestly," Anna sighed and shook her head before looking over at Eric. "Ever feel like you're the only sane person in your family?"

"All the time," Eric sad with a small chuckle.

"Feeling the love dad," Melody said but she knew her father was only teasing. Besides, her actions back when she was twelve didn't exactly speak to her 'sanity'. True she didn't know Morgana was the crazy sister of Ursula but had she not run off, that wouldn't have been an issue.

"You know I don't mean anything by it," Eric told her, unknowingly responding to her thoughts and giving Melody a small smile.

"I know dad," Melody nodded, returning the smile before a silence fell on the group and they continued to wait for word. Any word about the newest member of the family and of the baby's mother.

"Was there a reason why Elle never found out the gender?" Melody asked after a minute. "I know she went to see how many children she was having but..."

"I think your sister said that all she cared about was that the child was healthy," Eric told his daughter. "Gender took a backseat to the health of the baby. Well that and making sure they weren't also expecting twins. I'm sure they'd be happy to have twins but—."

"Dad?"

"Hmm?"

"You're rambling."

"Oh," Eric said with a sheepish chuckle. "So I was. Your mother would have probably explained that a bit more succinctly than I just did huh?"

"Maybe just a smidge," Melody said, gently nudging her dad with her shoulder. They both knew where her mom was though, Elle had asked for Ariel to be with her through the labor and Melody had agreed that was the smartest decision.

Yes, they both loved their father but when one was going through labor, you truly only wanted your mom. Not to mention the hospital had rules about only allowing a certain number of guests during labor.

"I hope Elle's doing okay," Melody said softly and gently rested her head on Eric's shoulder.

"When it comes to a delivery, no news is good news," Eric told her. "Means everything's going exactly as it should."

Melody nodded and gave her dad a small smile, not wanting to remind him that she'd been on the other side of a delivery before. She was pretty sure that he didn't want the memory of his younger daughter giving birth flooding his mind on the day that his elder daughter was giving birth to her own child.

"You could have invited a friend or two," Eric told her. "No sense in being here bored after all."

Melody sat up as she shook her head. "As much as I love my friends, that wouldn't have been fair to Akiho, to not have his friends here as well."

"You know that nothing would stop Emir and Ben from being by Akiho's side if they needed to be," Eric told her with a small chuckle.

Melody nodded but before she could say anything more, Akiho came out through the double doors; a grin threatening to split his face in two.

Not that was out of the ordinary when it came to him though.

"Akiho?" Kristoff asked as he stood up; Anna and Elsa following him and Melody and Eric looking toward their in-law. "Is everything alright?"

"Everything's great dad," Akiho said. "I was just wondering if you, mom, and King Eric would like to see your granddaughter?"

"Wait...why just dad, King Kristoff and Queen Anna?" Melody asked after the excitement seemed to fade. Yes she was happy for Elle of course but why couldn't she see her niece?

Akiho gave her an apologetic smile. "Only three guests in the room at the same time unfortunately. But I promise, you'll be seeing your niece more than you thought you would."

"Fine..." Melody said but with a small chuckle so Akiho knew she wasn't upset. "I'll hang out here with your aunt while your parents and my dad get to see the newest edition of our families."

Eric chuckled and gently kissed Melody's head before he followed Akiho, Kristoff, and Anna toward Elle's room. It wasn't long before the five of them found their way into Elle's hospital room.

"Hey sweetheart," Akiho said with a smile as he slowly opened the door. "You up for a few people?"

"Akiho, considering you already said you were getting our parents, I think it'd be rather cruel if I told them to go away," Elle said with a weak chuckle. She'd been moved from the water birthing tub to a dry bed and had a bundle of blankets in her arms.

"Oh...right..." Akiho said with a sheepish chuckle of his own.

Elle smiled at the collection of parents in her room. "Mom, dad, Kristoff, Anna, I'd like to introduce you to your granddaughter. Emily Anna Bjorgman."

Anna's eyes went wide before tears of joy began to pool in the corners and she rushed over to Elle's side.

"Oh, what a beautiful name," she said, smiling at little Emily. "Looks as though she'll be joining the 'redhead' club as well."

"We suspect her hair will be closer to 'strawberry blonde' than anything else," Elle explained before looking over at Ariel. "Mom, you're not...I mean—."

"Elle, after your sister chose 'Madeline Athena Ariel Rose' for Maddie's name, I had a feeling you might need to borrow from Akiho's side of the family for a middle name," Ariel said with a small chuckle.

"We did try samples out from my aunts on your side," Elle said sheepishly.

"Elle, honey, are you happy with the name you chose?" Ariel asked, giving her eldest daughter a loving smile.

"Yes mom. More than anything."

"Then that's all that matters," Ariel told her, brushing a lock of red hair out of Elle's face; thankful they'd managed to grab Elle's contacts so she wouldn't have to worry about the baby grabbing the glasses off of Elle's face. "Princess Emily Anna Bjorgman, I can't think of another name that would be just as perfect for my granddaughter."

"Don't worry though Queen Ariel, the christening will still be on the sea," Akiho spoke up. "There might be another one on land so that Sven can attend as well but the main one will be done on the sea."

Ariel chuckled softly, not even commenting on Akiho's use of her title. No matter how long he'd been married to Elle, Akiho still insisted on using titles when he felt they were necessary. "I had no doubt that there would be at least a christening on the water. The ocean's a part of my girls, and a part of Emily too. It wouldn't be right to deny her a part of her culture."

"In more ways than one, with Elsa having ice magic," Anna spoke up.

"...I completely forgot about that," Akiho said after a minute. "Um mom, when did Aunt Elsa get her ice powers again?"

"Oh you know I really don't know, Akiho," Anna said. "I'm the younger sister after all so Elsa's had her magic my whole life. Mother and father would have known, though I do know that there's a family tradition on mother's side at the very least that the eldest daughter is gifted with ice magic."

"Uh huh..." Akiho said, his voice faint.

Kristoff chuckled and shook his head. "You'll be fine son. And if Emily does have ice magic, you know Elsa will be over constantly to help teach her to manage her powers."

"I think he's thinking more about how my chair will handle having a baby icing the castle floors," Elle spoke up. "Akiho, we'll handle it if we need to. Right now, Emily's shown no sign of magic and it's possible that she'll inherit water based magic from my side of the family instead. You know, like Uma's powers. You're panicking over nothing."

"Right, right, sorry," Akiho said with a sheepish chuckle.

Anna smiled and gently walked over to rest a hand on her son's cheek. "I don't think worrying about your wife's well being is any reason to apologize," she said gently. "But Elle's right dear. You're worrying about things that may not even happen. But if they do, you know you'll have the full support of the whole family with whatever assistance you need."

"I know mom," Akiho said with a small smile. "Trust me, I know. You've been an amazing help throughout the pregnancy, all of you have in fact."

Elle nodded. "I don't know how I would have made it through the pregnancy without your advice and your assistance, mom, or your's Anna."

"Think nothing of it sweetheart," Ariel said as Emily cooed softly. "And I think that's our cue to give someone some food. I'll go get the nurse for you so Emily can have something to eat."

"Thanks mom," Elle said with a small smile as Akiho went to take Ariel's spot next to Elle as the former mermaid made her way out of the room to look for a nurse or doctor to help.

Elle looked up at her husband. "You know I'm a little surprised you're not on the phone right now with Emir or Ben, letting them know."

"Ben's probably working or spending time with Stephanie and Maurice, and Emir's more than likely worrying about Emma. Didn't you say her due date was soon?"

"She's not due til August though."

"Yeah but you know how Emir's a worrier. Honestly sometimes I think he needs to just relax and stop stressing...what's with the look?"

Elle was, in fact, looking at Akiho with a raised eyebrow. "I was just waiting for you to realize what you just said and how that might pertain to you, Prince Never Left My Side?"

"That is a good title," Akiho said with a small smile before shaking his head. "But that's different. If I was off shadowing and you'd needed me and something happened—."

"But nothing did happen," Elle said and gently took Akiho by the hand; Emily safely nestled in the crook of her other elbow. "You've spent my entire pregnancy more worried than I was and I love you for that but now, I want you to go and relax."

"She's right son," Kristoff nodded. "You're not going to get many opportunities to relax as a father, not that you'll trade any of the moments with your child of course. But the last thing you want to do is go into parenthood completely burnt out on day one."

Eric couldn't help but chuckle at the look on Akiho's face. "I know it's probably the last place you expected to be but it looks as though right now you're on the other side of the 'mom friend' treatment," he told his son in law. "Go home, shower, make your calls. Elle will be just fine."

"But—."

"We're not saying you're not allowed to come back but believe me, you will regret not taking a moment to recharge when you had one," Eric told him.

"Oh honestly," Ariel's voice came through the group as she led the nurse through the door. "If Akiho wants to stay here for the day then I think he should be allowed to do so. There're worse things in the world than an overly attentive husband."

Elle chuckled softly. "We know mom, but you have to admit that there's nothing wrong with making sure Akiho takes a break right now too while Emily's in the hospital. At least I assume that'll be the case? Mal said her kids had to stay a couple of days."

"I don't know the circumstances of Queen Mal's delivery but a healthy baby and a healthy delivery still need at least one night in the hospital for observation," the nurse explained as she fixed the bottle for Elle and handing it to her. While Elle and Akiho both had been open to any method of feedings, they'd opted for bottle. Once Akiho had argued that it'd be easier for him to do night feedings, that had cemented it for both of them—after all, a nanny or governess was out of the question. "Just to make sure there're no complications."

"Well then I'll be 'napping' in the same room as my wife and child," Akiho said and the tone in his voice left no room for arguments.

Kristoff chuckled. "Well in that case, why don't we at least go down to the cafeteria and get some sandwiches?"

"Oh I think you said the magic word," Elle shook her head as Akiho's eyes lit up. "Go on, we'll be okay."

Akiho sighed. "Fine, but I'll be right back."

"I know you will," Elle said with a small smile as Akiho bent down to kiss her on the head and then giving Emily a small kiss on her head as well. Elle watched Akiho and Kristoff walk out of the room with her smile still on her lips.

"I decided to slip in when I saw Akiho leave," Melody said from the doorway. "Queen Elsa came with me!"

Elle chuckled. "How is you're a mother yourself and yet sometimes you still act like you did when you were twelve?"

"Just lucky that way," Melody grinned. "Oh, Herkie and Hadie say congrats on the healthy delivery. They'll be over to see her once you've recovered."

"They do know they'll be invited to the christening right?" Elle chuckled before looking down at Emily. "Oh, all done? Such a good girl!"

Elsa smiled. "Well, maybe we should leave the new mom alone to have the chance to rest shall we? I'm sure we'll all get the chance to visit soon enough."

"Of course," Elle nodded. "Thank you Queen Elsa."

"Anything for the mother of my great-niece," Elsa said, her smile still on her lips as she turned to leave.

Ariel smiled and gently kissed Elle on the head. "You call if you need anything okay honey?"

"Okay mom," Elle nodded and watched as the room emptied out leaving only her and Emily in there. Elle's eyes slowly began to close and before she knew it, she had fallen asleep with Emily still in her arms.

Though not for long as Akiho came back into the room; his arms full of sandwiches and his father following.

"I guess everyone left," Kristoff said as he set his armful of sandwiches down. "I'll go and catch up with them; let me know if you need anything okay Akiho?"

Akiho nodded, having already dropped his pile, and went to go pick up his daughter. "Hey dad?"

"Yeah son?"

"Does it get much better than this?"

Kristoff chuckled and gently patted Akiho on the shoulder. "Every day if you're lucky."

"But I'm the luckiest guy there is," Akiho told him.

"Then every day will be better than the last. I can promise you that." Kristoff said as he turned to leave. Akiho smiled and gently sat down in a nearby rocking chair just as Emily seemed to fuss.

"Hey, hey, it's okay, papa's got you," Akiho said, gently rocking his daughter in his arms. Before he knew it, a familiar melody came from his lips. One that his mother and aunt had sang to him all the time growing up.

"Where the North wind meets the sea...there's a river full of memory. Sleep, my darling, safe and sound, for in this river all is found..."

Emily's whimpers quieted and soon gentle cooes took their place as Akiho continued to sing. Her eyes grew heavy and soon Akiho was left with two of his favorite people sound asleep. And he wouldn't trade it for the world.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

106K 1.8K 24
(Sequel to Bridging the Gap) When the dam keeping her frustration, panic and exhaustion at bay breaks, Mal makes a beeline for the Isle. However, fat...
74K 1.3K 8
β˜™This isn't the Isle of the Lost, Y/N!!β˜™/// β˜™I'm not one of those pretty pink princesses, Ben.β˜™ β™› Prince Ben x Reader π“‡š Y/N returns to the Isle of t...
57.8K 865 39
As Mal and Ben's Journey continue, they go through a series of fortunate and unfortunate events. Come join their journey through life.
122K 1.7K 50
*This is the sequel to my Descendants 4 book, so if you haven't already seen it I suggest you reading it first* A new portion of adventures the desce...