The Forgotten Twin

By MARAUDERS-MAP

Delilah Potter was sick of the shadows. Ever since her first year at Hogwarts, she had been stuck behind her... More

Chapter 1 - Year 1 Begins
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 1 - Year 2 Begins
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 1 - Year 3 Begins
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 1 - Year 4 Begins
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 1 - Year 5 Begins
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Extra Scene
Chapter 1 - Year 6 Begins
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22

Chapter 14

12 1 0
By MARAUDERS-MAP

The next morning Delilah woke Daphne up. Or at least she tried to. She was harder to wake up than Harry, and that was saying something. When Daphne was up and moving, Delilah went to wake up Draco.

She hesitated outside his door, remembering the Hogwarts motto. Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus. Never wake a sleeping dragon. Draco meant dragon... and he was sleeping.... No, she shouldn't. But it would be so funny....

Delilah slowly opened Draco's door. He was fast asleep, the perfect target. She crept next to his bed. One moment he was sleeping peacefully, the next he was sitting straight up, laughing as Delilah tickled him. He pushed her away, and she fell to the ground, laughing.

"Your face was priceless," Delilah announced.

Draco helped her up.

"Is it time?" he asked, his face a light pink.

She nodded.

"Daphne should be ready by now, let's go."

Luckily she was, so they grabbed her paint, cast the invisibility charm, and headed up to the Ravenclaw tower.

Of course there were still a few students up, but they were easily charmed to sleep, courtesy of Daphne.

"Ok," Delilah started, "Daphne, can you start drawing with the paint on a wall? Draco, will you turn the books in the mystery section so the spine is in the back? Whoever is done first, can you put more green and silver glitter everywhere? If you get bored you can charm these students or something."

While they were working on that, Delilah started enchanting the books, changing their writing to funny things like, "LEAVE ME ALONE! I JUST WANT TO STAY HERE AND GATHER DUST!" "Help, I'm no longer a tree!" and "WhY rIcK?! wHy?!" with a variety of writers' names. There also was one full of crappy tips and another with a bunch of funny book scenes, but with no context.

"Add something about how great snakes named Midnight are!" Midnight suggested, slightly squeezing Delilah's neck.

"Why did I bring you," Delilah muttered, adding it to the back of a book that looked as if it hadn't been opened in eons.

"Because I'm awesome."

By the time Delilah was done, Daphne and Draco had finished their jobs and were messing with the few Ravenclaws in the common room. One had bright silver hair, and another had green. The best was how Draco somehow managed to charm one of the students to have a pig's nose and tail, making her look like a skinny, female version of Dudley. They'd have a nasty shock when they woke up.

Mission accomplished.

"People will be coming down soon, we should leave," Daphne announced, looking at her watch.

Sadly it wasn't time for breakfast, so they had to go back to the common room. Oddly enough it was still empty.

"So, I know a place where we can meet, but you will need to know how to say something in Parseltongue."

"You mean for the DADA meetings?" Daphne checked.

Delilah nodded.

"Can you wake up Theodore, Draco?"

"Theodore is... difficult to wake up," Draco slowly stated, "but I can try."

Delilah and Daphne stared at him.

"Oh, you mean now. Okay." He left towards the boys' dormitories.

A few minutes later Draco came back with Theodore, both of them soaking wet.

"Don't ask," Draco muttered.

"Why do I have to wake up so-so early?" Theodore asked through a yawn.

"I know where we can meet, and you need to learn a word in Parseltongue. I usually use 'open,' but any should do work."

"So you're teaching us Parseltongue?" Daphne asked, bouncing up and down.

"Only a word, how do you think we should do this...? I've never tried to teach anyone a language before...."

"I'll help," Midnight volunteered. "Just start hissing at them and hope they learn. If they don't swear a few times, they won't notice."

Delilah laughed.

"That's diabolical."

"Um... this isn't helping me," Theodore stated.

"Oh, sorry. I... kinda forgot you guys were here."

Draco grinned, trying not to laugh.

"Start saying open to them," Midnight instructed.

"Ok, so the word you are trying to say is open, and it sounds like this." She paused for dramatic effect. "Open."

Draco tried to imitate her, but it came out as random hisses.

"Can you do that again, but slower?" Daphne asked.

"O-P-E-N," Delilah hissed, trying to slow it down.

Theodore tried, but failed, making odd guttural sounds.

"O-P-E-N," Delilah repeated.

Daphne took a breath.

"C-O-P-L-U-G."

"Close... but I don't think that's a word...."

Midnight sighed.

"Thug is using his throat too much, it is more in the tongue. Dandelion is hissing too forcefully. And I don't even know what Draco is trying to do.

"Parseltongue is a noble language, spoken with dignity and poise, I don't see how you think you can teach it to them. We've walked in to Draco choking on air more times than I can remember, and the others seem too unsure," she informed Delilah.

Delilah frowned.

"Daphne, you need to be less forceful, let the word come to you. Theodore, you need to use your throat too much, it's more in the tongue. Draco... keep trying."

Daphne nodded, looking determined while Theodore seemed bored.

"Why do we have to do this?" he asked.

"Because it's the only way to get into the room, and it's less suspicious if we go in at different times," Delilah explained.

"Why can't we do it somewhere else?"

"If you can think of anywhere else where Umbridge and her spies can't find us let us know," Draco sneered, glaring at Theodore.

Theodore glared back.

"Boys, stop," Daphne ordered, looking bored. "We all want to learn."

"Anyway," Delilah added, "We should get going. Breakfast should be ready, and we don't want anyone walking in on us. Afterwards we'll try again. There is another place where we can talk unheard."

"Why can't we practice there then?" Theodore asked.

"It's not big enough." Delilah stood up, they followed her lead. "Let's go to breakfast."

Daphne and Theodore followed a few paces behind Draco and Delilah, trying to look unsuspicious.

During breakfast, Delilah carefully watched Umbridge. There was no need to be careful; Umbridge's focus was on the Gryffindor table, a sick smile on her face.

Afterwards Delilah walked up to Daphne and told her to meet her in the unused classroom besides the Transfiguration room. Just two normal friends meeting in a shady place, how unsuspicious.

While they waited for Daphne and Theodore to get there, Delilah made Draco practice. For someone who spent a lot of time around a Parselmouth and her snake, he hadn't picked up any Parseltongue.

By the time Delilah was about to give up, Daphne and Theodore finally got there.

"What took so long?" Delilah asked.

"Sorry, we wanted to make sure no one was following us."

Delilah couldn't argue with that.

"Just to make sure," Daphne continued. "Homenum Revelio."

Nothing happened.

"No one's there," she confidently stated. "Can we practice now?"

Delilah nodded.

"Open," she hissed.

"Can I sleep now?" Midnight asked.

"No, I need help teaching them," Delilah responded.

"Fine, afterwards?"

Delilah paused.

"Yeah, that's fine."

Midnight yawned, making Daphne and Theodore back away.

"Ok, try again you three. Open."

Daphne went first.

"Avocado."

"Close enough. Theodore, your turn."

"Allow."

"That works. Draco?"

"B***h."

Delilah laughed. Midnight seemed amused too.

"What's so funny then? What did I say?"

"That's perfect for what we're doing," Delilah said, still chortling.

Draco shrugged.

"You guys sure you want to go through with this? It is risky...."

Daphne rolled her eyes, but nodded.

"We already said yes, so stop trying to get rid of us."

Delilah smiled. She didn't know why she just remembered, but Daphne was a good person. Unless you stole or broke her shoes, which Delilah wouldn't recommend. There had been a red handprint imprinted on her arm for weeks, along with plenty of bruises around it.

"And we'll double check with you before inviting someone," Theodore added, softly smiling.

And with that, Theo and Daphne left.

When Delilah went into the common room the next morning, she was surprised to see a crowd around the Slytherin notice board. She stood on tiptoes to try and see the board, but she was too short. She started slipping through the gaps in the crowd until she got close enough to read the notice over the heads of a group of third years. The new sign was printed in large black letters and there was a highly official-looking seal at the bottom beside a neat and curly signature.

— BY ORDER OF —

The High Inquisitor of Hogwarts

All Student Organizations, Societies, Teams, Groups, and Clubs are henceforth disbanded.

An Organization, Society, Team, Group, or Club is hereby defined as a regular meeting of three or more students.

Permission to re-form may be sought from the High Inquisitor (Professor Umbridge).

No Student Organization, Society, Team, Group, or Club may exist without the knowledge and approval of the High Inquisitor.

Any student found to have formed, or to belong to, an Organization, Society, Team, Group, or Club that has not been approved by the High Inquisitor will be expelled.

The above is in accordance with Educational Decree Number Twenty-four.

Signed:

Dolores Jane Umbridge

HIGH INQUISITOR

"Does this mean the Gobstone club is finally shutting down?" one of the third years asked.

"No, the loud idiots probably will get permission," her friend replied.

Delilah pushed back out of the crowd, breathing again once she was out.

Daphne walked up to her.

"What does the notice say?" she asked.

"Umbridge made it so all student groups, teams, and clubs are disbanded until they get her permission," Delilah answered.

"Wait, teams? Even Quidditch teams?"

"I guess so. I hadn't thought of that. Either way, I'm sure we'll get permission; for some reason she likes Slytherins."

"Maybe she was one," Daphne suggested.

"Maybe...."

"Are we still doing our... study group?"

"I think so. You can tell Theodore. Meanwhile I'll figure out when we can sneak away."

"Ok, I will."

Daphne left to find her boyfriend. Delilah headed to Draco's room, knocking on the door.

"You decent?" she asked.

"Yeah, come in."

She did.

"You ready?"

"No, I haven't styled my hair yet."

Delilah studied his messy hair.

"It looks fine, but you should know what Umbridge did. I think she might know about Harry's or our group."

Draco raised an eyebrow.

"What happened?"

Delilah quickly summarized the notice. When she was done Draco looked scandalized.

"Quidditch teams too?! Why? I hope we get permission... I'll get to DADA early and ask...."

"Don't worry, she seems to like Slytherins. I'm sure she'll let you keep playing."

Draco nodded.

"I wonder if the other houses got it," he wondered.

At breakfast it was obvious that they did. All throughout it students kept walking up to Umbridge, looking like they were asking for permission. Mostly she nodded, but occasionally she would smile sickly and talk, most likely saying that she'd think about it. Maybe because a lot of students talked to her, she left the head table early.

A few minutes later, Draco stood up.

"I'm going to ask now, we only have a few minutes before people start heading to class. Will you come?" he asked.

"Of course."

Daphne stopped them when they passed.

"Draco, your hair looks very nice ungelled. It looks good on you."

He blushed, glancing at Delilah as she nodded in agreement.

"Oh... thanks."

Umbridge was already sitting in her chair when they arrived. Draco walked up to her. He took a deep breath and began.

"I was wondering if the Slytherin Quidditch team may have your permission to continue."

"Yes, you may."

Draco relaxed.

"Thanks."

Draco moved to sit down but stopped when he noticed that Umbridge was still staring.

"Um.... Anything you want to talk about...?"

"You both are Prefects, correct?"

Draco hesitantly nodded.

"I am thinking of forming a group of students to make sure that no one is doing any illicit activities. Would you two join?"

Draco looked at Delilah, his eyes pleading for help.

"Well Professor, I'm not sure about Draco, but I would like some time to think about it. You know, make sure I have the time with all our homework and Prefect duties."

Draco nodded, looking relieved.

"Me too."

"You will get extra credit if you join," Umbridge offered.

"How kind of you," Delilah deadpanned. The class was so easy it was almost impossible to fail.

Thankfully before she could respond the door opened and a group of students came in, sitting in the seats near the back. Delilah and Draco both moved to the back corner where they had deposited their bags.

The class was boring as usual, but Delilah got a nice nap, and Draco looked like he had gotten one too.

Afterwards, on their way to the Dungeons, people kept complimenting Draco's hair. Delilah found it very amusing. Draco, on the other hand, seemed embarrassed.

"What's so wrong with gelling my hair that the moment I stop everyone notices?!" he finally exclaimed just outside the Potions room.

Delilah shrugged.

"It looks better, but if you like it gelled then keep using it."

Draco stared at the floor, looking conflicted.

"But I don't like it," he admitted. "My father likes me to do it."

"I'm sure you could find a way to convince him."

"You don't know my father then. He's more stubborn than a hippogriff."

"Ah, so that's where you get it from," Delilah teased.

They stopped outside Snape's closed door.

Blaise came up to Draco.

"Have you asked Umbridge for permission yet? For Quidditch I mean."

Draco nodded.

"Yeah, Umbridge gave the Slytherin Quidditch team permission to continue playing straight away, I went to ask her first thing this morning. Well, it was pretty much automatic, I mean, she knows my father really well, he's always popping in and out of the Ministry.... It'll be interesting to see whether Gryffindors are allowed to keep playing, won't it?"

Blaise laughed.

"Yeah, she hates them, especially Potter. Not you Delilah, Harry," Blaise clarified.

"I mean," continued Blaise, raising his voice a little more, his eyes glittering in Harry and Ron's direction, "if it's a question of influence with the Ministry, I don't think they've got much chance.... From what I've heard, they've been looking for an excuse to sack Arthur Weasley for years.... And as for Potter... My parents say it's a matter of time before the Ministry has him carted off to St. Mungo's... apparently they've got a special ward for people whose brains have been addled by magic...."

He made a grotesque face, his mouth sagging open and his eyes rolling. Crabbe and Goyle gave their usual grunts of laughter, Pansy Parkinson shrieked with glee. Honestly... Delilah had no idea how she had hung out with her....

Neville charged at Blaise, but Harry and Ron held him back. They managed to get an arm around Neville's neck and drag him backward, away from the Slytherins. Crabbe and Goyle were now flexing their arms, closing in front of Blaise, ready for the fight. Ron hurried forward and seized Neville's arms; together, he and Harry succeeded in dragging Neville back into the Gryffindor line. Neville's face was scarlet; the pressure Harry was exerting on his throat rendered him quite incomprehensible, but odd words spluttered from his mouth.

"Not... funny... don't... Mungo's... show... him...."

The dungeon door opened. Snape appeared there. His black eyes swept up the Gryffindor line to the point where Harry and Ron were wrestling with Neville.

"Fighting, Potter, Weasley, Longbottom?" Snape said in his cold, sneering voice. "Ten points from Gryffindor. Release Longbottom, Potter, or it will be detention. Inside, all of you."

Delilah and Draco hurried inside.

"I wonder who Longbottom knows at St. Mungos," she wondered.

Draco looked away as he pulled out his cauldron.

"What do you know?"

"Well... my father told me... but... it's not fun." Delilah didn't respond, so he continued. "After You-Know-Who's downfall, a group of his Deatheaters cruciated Longbottom's parents, thinking that they knew where You-Know-Who was.... They all got sent to Azkaban, of course. The only ones I remember off the top of my head are Barty Crouch Jr. and Bellatrix Lestrange and her husband."

Delilah was going to ask more questions, but Snape closed the door, stopping all conversation.

"You will notice," said Snape in his low, sneering voice, "that we have a guest with us today."

He gestured toward the dim corner of the dungeon, and Delilah saw Professor Umbridge sitting there, clipboard on her knee. She grinned at Draco. They'd get to see Snape not deal with her crap. It wasn't as awesome as McGonagall's was sure to be, but it still would be entertaining.

"We are continuing with our Strengthening Solutions today, you will find your mixtures as you left them last lesson, if correctly made they should have matured well over the weekend — instructions" — he waved his wand again — "on the board. Carry on."

Professor Umbridge spent the first half hour of the lesson making notes in her corner. Delilah focused on her potion, but made sure to listen to Snape and Umbridge's conversation as the toad walked up to him.

"Well, the class seems fairly advanced for their level," she said briskly to Snape's back. "Though I would question whether it is advisable to teach them a potion like the Strengthening Solution. I think the Ministry would prefer it if that was removed from the syllabus." Snape straightened up slowly and turned to look at her.

"Now... how long have you been teaching at Hogwarts?" she asked, her quill poised over her clipboard.

"Fourteen years," Snape replied. His expression was unfathomable. Delilah looked back at her potion, adding a few drops of salamander blood to her potion.

"You applied first for the Defense Against the Dark Arts post, I believe?" Professor Umbridge asked Snape.

"Yes," said Snape quietly. "But you were unsuccessful?"

Snape's lip curled.

"Obviously."

Delilah resisted the urge to snicker.

Professor Umbridge scribbled on her clipboard.

"And you have applied regularly for the Defense Against the Dark Arts post since you first joined the school, I believe?"

"Yes," said Snape quietly, barely moving his lips. He looked furious.

"Do you have any idea why Dumbledore has consistently refused to appoint you?" asked Umbridge.

"I suggest you ask him," said Snape jerkily.

"Oh I shall," said Professor Umbridge with a sweet smile.

"I suppose this is relevant?" Snape asked, his black eyes narrowed.

"Oh yes," said Professor Umbridge. "Yes, the Ministry wants a thorough understanding of teachers' — er — backgrounds...."

She turned away, walked over to Pansy Parkinson and began questioning her about the lessons.

At the end of the class, Delilah's potion looked right, so she didn't get extra homework.

Still, she started on homework during lunch. Afterwards she headed to the greenhouses for Herbology.

It was pointless. Delilah didn't care about random plants, it wasn't useful like knowing how to create and cure poisons. Transfiguration, her next class, wasn't as useless. Yes, it taught them how to change random objects into other random objects, but at least it didn't cover them in mud, even if they always got lots of homework. Today was no exception. It was as if the teachers were trying to fry their brains before their O.W.L.s.

Even though it meant aiding the teachers' evil scheme, Delilah did all her homework, staying up late to help Draco.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

68.2K 2.5K 37
"𝙤𝙠, 𝙨𝙤 𝙮𝙤𝙪'𝙧𝙚 𝙨𝙖𝙮𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙬𝙚 𝙢𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩 𝙙𝙞𝙚 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙨 𝙮𝙚𝙖𝙧, 𝙖𝙜𝙖𝙞𝙣." or it's (y/n) greyheart's second year at her dream school...
1K 2 52
Among the students at Hogwarts, there is one girl whose story's never been told. Eliza came to Hogwarts to learn magic and make friends but she ends...
254K 7.6K 18
(Y/N) has had a crush on Hermione Granger since their 3rd year at Hogwarts. Her feelings are growing, and there is a nagging inside of her telling he...
88.4K 2.2K 25
"Don't call me that - you - Death Eater!" Delilah screamed. Everyone gasped again. More people had gathered around. Shockingly no teachers. "Del...