Burnin' Love (1)

By Profiler2610

Nicole Severide grew up with her older brother Kelly as one of the only people she could trust. Then she star... More

Cast
Graphics
Beginning
Barbecue
Crash
Halloween
Threats
It's Over
Thanksgiving
DCFS
Vargas
Missing Vials
Recovery
Kelly
Goodbye
Eric Whaley
Not Them
Sticked
Academy Dinner
Ruined
Shooting
Justice?
Tara's File
Molly's Opening
Prison
Maternity Leave
Darden Boys
Baby Girl Casey
First Shift Back
Awkward
Debate and Missing
Derailed
Superhero
Sister
Closing House?
Recruits
Inheritance
Power Outage
Katie
Jones
Vasectomy
Stalker
Girl's Trip
Understand
Explosion
Test
Wedding
After
Honeymoon Phase

Tara Tanked

2.9K 59 9
By Profiler2610

♣️Season 1, Episode 20♣️

Nicole dances around as she packs snacks for the shift, her energy getting real low lately if she doesn't eat enough. Matt wraps his arms around her waist, swaying with her.

"What are you making?"

"Snacks for shift. According to your baby growing inside me, if I don't have some sort of snack or meal every hour and a half to two hours, I will be forced to throw up all over the place," Nicole smiles, eating some peanut butter toast.

"Well, I apologize on behalf of my baby for making the first part of your pregnancy so vomitie."

She scrunches her eyebrows, "That's not even a real word."

Matt smiles, kissing the tip of her nose, "But it's a real apology."

♣️♣️♣️♣️

Nicole has Gabby walk Tara through all the paperwork before meeting them in the common room, just in time to see her eyeing up Kelly. She rolls her eyes, stealing some of the popcorn Cruz was eating as the guys got to know Tara.

"So, what made you want to be an EMT?" Mills asks.

"My roommates a paramedic at 35. Didn't have to hang around with her very long to figure out the firehouse is where it's at."

"It depends on the firehouse," Nicole warns her, "Some think they'll prefer the big house but then smaller houses need good paramedics as well," Nicole warns.

"Engine 51, Truck 81, Squad 3, Ambulance 61, industrial accident."

Nicole looks to Tara, "Here we go. You ride in the back with Dawson. Stay on her hip at all times."

♣️♣️♣️♣️

Walking into the accident site, Nicole finds Mills, "Hey, what happened?"

"Uh, worker backed the forklift into the shelf and the whole thing came down on top of him," Mills tells them.

Nicole leads her team of paramedics to the victim as Squad and Truck work to clear all the debris off as he shakes, "Hey, can you tell me your name?"

"Phil. Phil Manfred," He tells her.

"Hey, Phil, just a warning, I'm about to step over you," Nicole takes a step onto the mattress before stepping over Phil to move by his head, "Okay, I need you to be very still," She turns to Tara, "His nail-beds, see how blue they are? What does that mean?"

"Shock. He's in shock," Tara says.

Nicole nods, "Good, very good. We're gonna keep his c-spine nice and straight and we're gonna warm him up."

Gabby collars him as Matt instructs, "Let's get the spreaders."

But, Kelly argues, "Forget the spreaders. Get the torch in here, we need to cut this beam."

Capp nods, "Copy that," Before leaving to grab the item Kelly asked for.

Mills questions Kelly, seeing a learning opportunity, "B-but why wouldn't we try and lift it."

"It's too unstable. Anything shifts, it will all fall right back on top of him," Kelly explains before looking to the manager of the warehouse, "Hey, is there anything flammable in any of this?"

"No, sir."

Capp brings the torch, which Kelly immediately lights and starts to cut the beam before Matt yells, "Severide! Kill the torch!"

"What?" He lifts his head and moves the torch, resulting in a flame spreading towards the Matt and some barrels which promptly explode.

Truck moves forward, grabbing extinguishers and putting out the flames while Nicole gives directions to her group, "Dawson, Little, go grab the backboard and as soon as they get this beam off of Phil, load him up."

Once Squad and Mills get the beam up, Tara moves forward to help the rest of 61 but stops when she sees the state of his legs. Her face morphs to one of slight disgust.

"Look at his face and keep him calm," Nicole advises.

"Okay, you're gonna be okay, Phil," Tara assures him, sounding shaky.

♣️♣️♣️♣️

Nicole watches Tara walk away from Kelly, a flirty smile on Tara's face, before she moves towards Kelly, "Stop."

"What?" Kelly asks her.

"Stop flirting with my candidate. I need her focused and she's already a little squeamish. I don't need her distracted by trying to flirt with you," Nicole scolds her brother.

"Was I flirting with her?"

"You weren't ignoring her attempts. Kelly, I love you, but you have a reputation as a manwhore and that will not effect Tara's time here. So, stay away for her shift, please."

Kelly raises his hands in defeat, "Fine. If you tell me what lies Casey told you for you to forgive him for sleeping with Heather."

Nicole groans, rolling her eyes, "He didn't tell me any lies, and he didn't sleep with-"

"Ambulance 61, laceration injury, 670 North Helmand Avenue."

♣️♣️♣️♣️

Pulling up to the call, a woman in a robe comes to the door of the rig, "So sorry to call you about this. My husband, Dennis, he was working on the garage door and it just started opening."

Nicole is quick to move to the garage. The sight that meets them is not a pleasant one. His entire arm is bloody and caught between the door and the beams.

"We're not equipped to handle this," Gabby reminds Nicole.

"Call it in," She directs Shay before moving to give his feet something to put pressure on so he isn't just dangling anymore.

She immediately grabs her radio, "Dispatch, this is ambulance 61, need a truck company to 670 North Helmand Avenue.

Dennis groans in pain, "My shoulder. I heard the muscle make a ripping sound."

Shay spots something and stops holding up one of the legs, Nicole tries to reassure Dennis, "Okay, we're gonna get you down, Dennis. Let me take your weight, okay? Tara, take his leg from me, we are gonna lift him up," Nicole sees Tara just stare up in horror, "Tara! We need your help."

Gabby shakes her head, Tara not snapping back to attention fast enough and moves to help Nicole, as Shay moves a ladder just in front of Dennis where they put his feet on one of the rungs while Shay climbs up the other side.

"Dawson, see if you can lift the door," Shay directs, between the two of them, they struggle, "Nicole, get up here and help me."

The three of them work to lift the door, getting to a place where Shay tells Dennis, "This, is gonna hurt like hell, okay? But its' gonna be over quick."

Nicole watches as Shay maneuvers his arm out of the door before helping Dennis down the ladder and into the chair.

"Orleane, my arm."

"Sweetie, you'll be alright," His wife reassures him.

"Alright, why don't you come with us?" Nicole says to the wife, already starting to wheel Dennis out.

♣️♣️♣️♣️

At the hospital, Nicole fills out some paperwork before Gabby and Shay join her, "Where's Tara? Off crying in a corner somewhere?"

"Oh, c'mon," Gabby defends the woman, "That was pretty gnarly. Cut her some slack."

Shay rolls her eyes before turning to Nicole, "So, when is the rest of the house finding out about Baby Casey?"

Nicole shrugs her shoulders, "When everything is back to normal between Matt and Kelly."

"Normal? Normal? I think this is their version of normal. Bickering to see who's the alpha," Shay rolls her eyes, slightly shoving Nicole.

"As true as that may be, I mean the normal where they are like brothers and best friends and Kelly doesn't think that my fiancee is cheating on me," Nicole groans, "I mean, how would I even go about starting that conversation? Hey, Kelly, I know you think he's cheating on me, but he's making you an uncle."

Shay shrugs, "It could work."

Gabby snorts, "If that's how you tell Severide, let me know in advance so I can be halfway around the planet."

Nicole laughs before stopping when she notices a nurse trying to move their stretcher, her and Shay immediately snapping, "Hey! No! Don't touch!"

"That is not yours. Put it back," Nicole directs, snapping her fingers.

The duo turn back to Gabby who looks slightly scared before asking Shay, "How long ago since that hormone shot?"

"Just don't mess with our gurney."

Gabby nods, "How far along are you?"

Nicole crosses her arms, "Only about 13 weeks."

"This will be fun," Gabby fakes smiles.

Tara comes around the corner, holding a tray of coffees for the three of them, "Grabbed a couple coffees for you guys."

After passing Gabby and Shay there's, Tara offers one to Nicole who holds up a hand, "Unless it's decaf, I can't have it. Thanks for the thought though."

Nodding skeptically, Tara takes it for herself before explaining, "I ran into the doctor. She said you saved that man's arm."

"Well, we got him here fast."

Nicole nods at Gabby statement, adding on, "Quick response is key to this job. You can't response quick, find a different profession," Tara looks a little worried at her statement before Nicole checks her watch, "Let's go. Matt's making me lunch and I'm hungry."

"Bet that's not all you're hungry for," Shay mumbles into her coffee.

♣️♣️♣️♣️

Stepping into Matt's office, Nicole lays on his bunk while he taps his pen on the desk, "What's got your mind running?"

 "Peter Mills and this future to Squad," Matt sighs, turning the chair to face Nicole, "I'm not sure it's the right time. I mean, Boden is pushing this because of his connection with Henry Mills and Kelly is pushing this to rub it in my face and piss me off. Are we sure Mills is actually ready for this?"

Nicole shrugs, "I think with Squad, no one is really ready. They train and train and train but it's not easy. And neither is Truck, but with Squad, it's something else. I say, let him train for it. Let him question Kelly religiously. He's better prepared that way if he really is being pushed into Squad."

♣️♣️♣️♣️

Standing with Boden, Gabby and Tara, Nicole looks up when Shay calls out, "Chief! Cindy's oxygen levels are way too low. It could be a PE. We need to get her to Lakeshore now."

"Go. Go," He directs.

Nicole hops in the back with Shay, pointing at Tara, "Sit up front with Dawson."

On the drive, Shay puts an oxygen mask over Cindy, "Just breathe."

Shay's looking down at the tubing when Cindy's head falls back so Nicole bolts forward to check her pulse, "Dawson, she's lost consciousness. Call ahead to Lakeshore and give them information. Shay, tube her. Get us there as fast as possible."

Nicole has the tubing kit ready and starts handing the equipment to Shay with no words spoken between them.

Arriving at Lakeshore, Nicole lets Shay give patient information, "38 year old female, 26 weeks gestation. She went unresponsive, stop breathing and I had to intubate."

"She's a friend. A firefighter's wife," Nicole warns the team.

"Sounds like a PE, let's push TPA and tell the CT scanner we're coming," The paramedics hang back, watching closely, "We've got her."

Shay turns to Nicole, "She shouldn't be alone."

Nicole nods, "Go with her. I've got Dawson and Little."

"Thanks," Shay squeezes her hand, following quickly.

♣️♣️♣️♣️

Nicole packs her bag, stopping by the common room while she waits for Matt and grabs a snack. Turning around, she grimaces when she sees Chief Hatcher, "Uh-oh. Who did what now?"

"Morning, Severide. I came by to see how Tara Little's doing on your rig."

"Uh, she's a nice girl who's putting in a real effort but big, busy houses are not for her. She's happy, and has a positive attitude, but does not have the stomach for it," Nicole is honest, knowing that it may seem harsh but it's the truth and better for everybody.

"Well, the one thing I can count on with you is the truth," Hatcher sighs, "Sounds like city works not for her. Maybe the suburbs. Thanks, Severide."

Nicole nods, "No problem."

As she goes to meet Matt, Hatcher stops her once more, "It's been nice. Not seeing any violations from 61. Keep up the good work."

♣️♣️♣️♣️

Seeing as Matt's helping Gabby and Mills find a door for the bar, Nicole enjoys the house to herself and just watches movies on the couch. She pulls out the onesie she bought to share the news with Kelly.

Sighing, Nicole sits up, "Should I tell him today? Might as well. No, I'm gonna wait for Matt."

Laying back down, Nicole resumes her movie. A few moments later, she pauses the movie and sits up again, "Maybe I should tell him. It could ease the tension between him and Matt," Thinking for a moment, she shakes her head, "No. Wait for Matt."

♣️♣️♣️♣️

Next shift, Nicole smells pancakes and makes her way into the common room where Truck is already grabbing food. 

Mills points to her with the spatula, "Save some food for the lady."

"Thank you, Peter Mills," Nicole smiles gratefully at him.

"Why? She tanked Tara. You tanked a single, attractive EMT," Otis glares slightly.

"I didn't tank her," Nicole struggles to not yell at Otis, "I just said she wasn't cut out for the streets of Chicago. They'll probably move her to Mayberry or something."

She starts filling up her plate as Otis calls out, "Wrong. Her probationary status was revoked, Nicole."

Nicole turns to Otis, glaring which causes Cruz to back out of sight line, "Okay, here's a question for you. You get caught in a fire and the only thing saving you is an EMT. Would you rather it be a hot one that freezes and wastes precious seconds, or one that knows what the hell they're doing and is a little less single or hot?"

"I feel like there isn't a right answer here," Otis looks to Cruz for help who shakes his head as if saying to leave him out of it.

"There is. One that knows what they are doing. We are in the business of saving lives, not being a dating station for you, Otis. I'm not sending an unprepared EMT onto the streets of Chicago just so you can fail to flirt with her more," Nicole tells him, setting her plate down next to Gabby.

Matt walks in, kissing Nicole's forehead before turning to Gabby, "Hey, did you show Otis and Nicole?"

Gabby's eyes widen in realization, grabbing for her phone, "No, not yet."

"Show us what?" Otis asks, sounding exhausted.

"The new door for the bar," Matt says, with an obvious tone in his voice.

"But I like the one we have now."

Mills adds, flipping some more pancakes, "But you'll love the one Gabby chose."

Matt waves off Otis' complaining, "Don't worry about it. I know the guy who owns the place. Dawson has expensive taste, granted, but I managed to talk him down."

"Engine 51, Truck 81, Squad 3, Ambulance 61, house fire, 4800 Block West Thomas."

♣️♣️♣️♣️

Nicole sits next in the back of the rig with Shay and gabby standing in front of her as Truck and Squad enter the house, "I'd go easy on Kelly. He really did forget his phone and you were hopped up on hormones."

"Yeah, well-"

They're interrupted by Kelly bringing out a victim, "Put him on the gurney. Okay, we got him."

As they roll away, Kelly doesn't see Capp behind him and hears a PASS alarm going off, "Capp!" He yells, trying to go back in but Boden grabs him.

"Hey, hey, hey. Take it easy, we've already got two men inside," He turns to his radio, "Casey, you've got eyes on Capp?"

"Not yet."

Nicole leaves the man in Shay and Gabby's care as she moves to stand with Kelly, both in support and so he doesn't try running into the house again.

"Chief, the electricity's still on."

Kelly and Hadley go back to find a secondary line while Nicole turns back to her victim. They wait when Kelly and Hadley walk back out front, "Casey, you hear me?"

They see the trio in the doorway and rush forward to help them out, "Can't tell if he's breathing."

Nicole leaves the rig and weaves through the group of firefighters, "How you feeling, Capp?"

"It smells like a fish concert out here," Capp gives a dopey smile as the others start to laugh.

"Let's take you in just in case to get checked out," They help Capp into the back of the rig.

♣️♣️♣️♣️

Getting called to a shooting incident, the paramedic trio hops out of the rig as a cop greets them, "No rush, ladies. He's not going anywhere. Territorial dispute. Couple of corner boys ran up and shot him. Same old story."

Nicole recognizes the man's face but Gabby doesn't at first, "How do I recognize this guy?"

"Curtis. The guy who helped Antonio bust Voight," Looking up, they hear sirens and see Truck pull up, Matt being the first over to them.

Gabby and Shay keep back while Nicole moves in front of Matt, "We're too late."

"Okay. How's Capp?" Matt asks, seeing his fiancee's weird behavior but not questioning it right there.

"He's good. No eletrical burns or anything. He's gonna be released after they do an EKG," She trails off as Matt looks closer at the man's face, moving past her to kneel down next to him before looking back at Nicole who nods, "Yeah, I know."

♣️♣️♣️♣️

Nicole walks into Molly's with a bag in hand for Kelly, kissing Matt as he works on putting up the new door.

Otis spots her, "C'mon, now that Nicole is here, it's time for the inaugural round of beers at Molly's."

As everyone grabs one, Nicole waves it off, "Actually, I have a present for Kelly. I know it's not his bar that's opening, but he needs to open it today before I go crazy."

Matt joins everyone by the bar, wrapping his arms around Nicole's waist as Shay and Gabby start jumping up and down in excitement.

"Nic, really, whatever this is, you didn't have-"

"Open it, Severide!" Shay and Gabby yell at him, scaring the rest of Truck.

Not wanting to argue with them, Kelly pulls out the tissue paper and then the onesie. He stops for a moment, processing the words as Cruz gets impatient, "Well, what does it say?"

"I'm stronger than my uncle," Kelly reads off, turning it to show everybody, "Does this mean what I think it means?"

"It means that in about 27 weeks, you'll have a little niece or nephew," Nicole smiles, resting a hand on Matt's that's laying on her stomach.

The guys all cheer as Kelly is the first to hug Nicole, the rest of the guys getting in line as Kelly hugs Matt and pats his back, "Congrats, man. You're gonna be a great dad."

"Thanks, man."

"Okay," Otis smiles, raising his glass of beer after sliding one of water over to Nicole, "To Molly's and to Baby Casey."

"To Molly's and Baby Casey!" They all cheer, clinking glasses before taking a sip.

"It's delicious, Otis. But are you gonna chill it before opening?" Kelly asks as they all stare at their beers.

Nicole sips her water, "Haha, suckers."

Otis looks confused down underneath the bar, "I swear I plugged that in."

"Okay, who wants to see this door?" Matt asks, guiding Nicole out.

"Me!" Gabby calls out.

They all move outside, closing the door as Shay and Kelly stay inside and talk. Matt and Nicole stand in front of the door, getting their picture taken as she holds up the onesie she got to tell Matt.

As they step down, Otis nods, "I have to admit, looks pretty damn good."

Gabby jumps up and down in excitement, "Right!" Before handing her phone back, "Can one of you...I need to get a picture."

She moves up into position before looking at Matt, "C'mon, you helped me get the door. I guess I can give you one picture."

"Alright," He nods, standing next to Gabby.

"I hope this turns out well, I don't have my glasses..." Nicole rolls her eyes at Mouch before grabbing the phone.

"Okay. Whoa!" She exclaims as Shay and Kelly finally exit the bar, "C'mon, we're trying to take a picture."

She snaps a couple pictures before Gabby smiles past her, "Hey, Pete. I thought you had classes all day?"

Gabby moves forward, greeting him with a hug and a kiss as he nods, "I do, just wanted to carve out a few minutes. Wanted to see this door."

"Uh, I gotta go to the firehouse," Kelly says, looking at his phone.

"What for?" Nicole asks him.

"I don't know. See you guys," Kelly departs.

Nicole shrugs, smiling at Matt as he moves back to her side.

♣️♣️♣️♣️

AN: The news has been shared with a few but there will be a more inclusive announcement at the firehouse for those who weren't there.

We know Nicole is gonna have some things to say about Tara...

QoC: should Nicole have a chance to confront Tara?

Thanks for all of the votes and reads and comments!!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

124K 2K 51
I have to save your ass again?" "Oh, shut up, Torres." For as long as Alyssa Torres could remember, she and Kelly Severide had hated each other. Nei...
33.5K 239 7
Jamie Severide is Kelly Severide's twin sister. Jamie, Kelly and Matt Casey all went to the academy together. Jamie moved away to Las Angles and had...
23.8K 1K 26
[ COMPLETE ] When a new paramedic joins firehouse fifty-one, replacing the beloved Peter Mills, those in the house aren't too eager to welcome her wi...
127K 2.1K 81
Jessica Leslie Casey, daughter of Matthew Casey and Gabriela Dawson is a bit of a handful to say the least. At 17 Jess had decided to follow in her m...