mastermind - percy jackson

Od thebookfairy23

"what if I told you none of it was accidental?" [ titan's curse - the last olympian ] [ book I in the midnigh... Viac

mastermind
epigraph
act one
i. the hunt
ii. highway to hell
iii. oracle
iv. the quest
v. heroes... kinda suck
vi. lion
vii. apologies
viii. "blessing"
ix. aphrodite
x. lost
xi. dam
xii. madness
xiii. the general
xiv. weight of the world
xv. in the stars
xvi. council
xvii. broken promises
labyrinth
epigraph
act two
i. attacks
ii. hearing
iii. war games
iv. quests
v. ghosts
vi. choices, picnics, and wishes
vii. kampΓͺ
viii. ranch
ix. stables
x. bianca
xi. mount st. helens
xii. funeral (crashing)
xiii. rachel elizabeth dare
xiv. mercy
xv. workshop
xvi. consequences
xvii. pan
xviii. kampΓͺ, the sequel
xix. growing up
snow on the beach
epigraph
act three
i. endings
ii. prophecies
iii. inspections
iv. flames
v. advice
vi. endless sleep
vii. tug
viii. fine
ix. history repeats
x. the immortal flame
xi. losing hope
xii. drakon
xiii. heroes
xiv. promises
xv. balance
xvi. oracles, fates, and the future
xvii. life and death
xviii. honesty
sequel

xx. laughing

2.7K 92 30
Od thebookfairy23

"styx begins her long awaited reign"

The rest of the summer was strangely normal. 

The daily activities continued: archery, rock climbing, pegasus riding. They played capture the flag (but no one went anywhere near Zeus's Fist), singing songs at the campfire, racing chariots, and playing practical jokes on the other campers. Cassandra spent most of her time researching the Luke/Kronos situation, and talking with Silena and Drew on the beach.

Percy and Cassandra avoided each other at pretty much all costs, only really speaking to each other for capture the flag. 

He wanted to ask her about the research she had been doing, but that brought up Kronos, which brought up Luke, which made Annabeth angry, which then made Cassandra angry at him for angering Annabeth.

July passed, with fireworks on the beach for Independence Day. August turned so hot the strawberries started baking in the fields. And finally, the last day of Camp arrived. 

Cassandra and Annabeth both hiked up the hill to see Percy off, where the camp van would take him back to his apartment.

They had both made arrangements to stay at camp for a little bit longer, before going back to their families for the rest of the year. 

"There's a private school out there that I'll be going to. I'll probably hate it, but..." Annabeth shrugged.

"Yeah, well, call me, okay?" Percy said.

"Sure" She said halfheartedly. "I'll keep my eyes open for..."

Luke. The one subject they couldn't seem to tackle. Annabeth couldn't even say his name without a wall of hurt, worry, and anger slamming into her.

"Annabeth" Percy said. "What was the rest of the prophecy?"

She fixed her eyes on the woods in the distance, but didn't say anything.

"You shall delve in the darkness of the endless maze" Percy recited. "The dead, the traitor, and the lost one raise. We raised a lot of the dead. We saved Ethan Nakamura, who turned out to be a traitor. We raised the spirit of Pan, the lost one."

Annabeth shook her head like she wanted him to stop.

"You shall rise or fall by the ghost king's hand" Percy pressed on. "That wasn't Minos, like I'd thought. It was Nico. By choosing to be on our side, he saved us. And the child of Athena's final stand—that was Daedalus."

"Jackson" Cassandra warned.

"A single choice will destroy her name. Styx begins her long awaited reign"  Percy continued. "We don't really know what that means but—"

"It's about me" Cassandra interrupted. "Now maybe you should stop."

Percy paused for a minute, clearly wanting for her to elaborate. 

But she didn't. And instead raised her eyebrows, daring for him to continue.

"Destroy with a hero's final breath." Percy said. "That makes sense now. Daedalus died to destroy the Labyrinth. But what was the last—"

"And lose a love to worse than death" Annabeth had tears in her eyes. "That was the last line, Percy. Are you happy now?"

The sun seemed colder than it had a moment ago. "Oh" he said. "So Luke—"

"Percy, I didn't know who the prophecy was talking about. I—I didn't know if..." She faltered hopelessly, looking at Cassandra for help. "Luke and I—for years, he was the only one who really cared about me. I thought..." 

Before she could continue, a sparkle of light appeared next to them, like someone had opened a golden curtain in the air.

"You have nothing to apologize for, my dear" Standing on the hill was a tall woman in a white dress, her dark hair braided over her shoulder.

"Lady Hera" Cassandra said politely, bowing her head.

The goddess smiled. "You found the answers, as I knew you would. Your quest was a success."

"A success?" Annabeth said. "Luke is gone. Daedalus is dead. Pan is dead. How is that—"

"Our family is safe" Hera insisted. "Those others are better gone, my dear. I am proud of you."

Cassandra squeezed her eyes closed for a moment. She couldn't let her temper get the best of her. Hera wasn't some minor goddess. She was the queen of the gods.

Percy clenched his fists. "You're the one who paid Geryon to let us through the ranch, weren't you?"

Hera shrugged, her dress shimmering in rainbow colors. "I wanted to speed you on your way."

"But you didn't care about Cassie, or Nico" Percy said. "You were happy to see them turned over to the Titans."

"Oh, please" Hera waved her hand dismissively. "I tried to pay for Cassandra. Unfortunately, the Titans have some sort of bounty on her head. And the son of Hades said it himself. No one wants him around. He does not belong."

"But Nico should belong" Cassandra argued. "It shouldn't matter who your parent is. He's an innocent kid, who deserves to have friends and a family who cares about him, and will accept him for who he is."

"Unlike you" She added. "Who doesn't accept anyone unless they fit your version of perfect."

"Hephaestus and Cassie are right" Percy growled. "You only care about your perfect family, not real people."

Hera's eyes turned dangerously bright. "Watch yourselves. I guided you more than you know in the maze. I was at your side when you faced Geryon. I let your arrow fly straight. I sent you to Calypso's island. I opened the way to the Titan's mountain. Annabeth, my dear, surely you see how I've helped. I would welcome a sacrifice for my efforts."

Annabeth stood still as a statue. She could have said "thank you." She could've promised to throw some food in the fire for Hera and forget the whole thing. But she clenched her jaw stubbornly. She looked just the way she had when she'd faced the Sphinx—like she wasn't going to accept an easy answer, even if it got her in serious trouble. It was something Cassandra admired about the girl.

"Percy is right" She turned her back on the goddess. "You're the one who doesn't belong, Queen Hera. So next time, thanks... but no thanks."

Hera's sneer was fearsome. Her form began to glow. "You will regret this insult, Annabeth. You will regret this very much."

Cassandra turned away as the goddess turned into her true divine form and disappeared in a blaze of light.

The hilltop was peaceful once more. Over at the pine tree, Peleus the dragon dozed under the Golden Fleece as if nothing had happened.

"I'm sorry" Annabeth told them. "I—I should get back. I'll keep in touch."

"Listen, Annabeth—" Percy started.

He was cut off by Argus honking the horn down at the road.

"You'd better get going" Annabeth said. "Take care, Seaweed Brain."

She jogged down the hill, without looking back.

Cassandra crossed her arms. "Try to stay out of trouble. The last thing we need is the child of the prophecy dying."

"No promises" Percy said.

"Well, I guess I'll see you later, Water Boy" Cassandra said.

"Uh, yeah" Percy scratched the back of his neck awkwardly. "You know, I'm uh having a party in a few days. For my birthday. It'd be nice if you came."

There was a grin playing on her face. "I'll think about it. But you should leave. Don't want to miss your ride, do you?"

Percy shook his head. "Bye, Frosty."

"Bye, Fish Face."

╰┈ ⋆。˚ ❀ *· 🌬 ࿐  ࿔ ˚:⋆ ✧・゚

Unfortunately, Cassandra didn't have an excuse to not go to Percy's party.

Silena and Drew had practically squealed when she told them, and made sure that she didn't have any plans on August 18th.

Which is why she now stood outside of the Jackson's apartment, gift bag in hand, taking a breath as she raised her hand to knock.

She took another deep breath and knocked on the door, following her normal short-short-long-short pattern.

The door swung open, and Sally Jackson appeared, a huge smile on her face. "Cassandra" She said happily. 

"Hi, Ms. Jackson" Cassandra greeted. "Sorry I'm late. Traffic was bad, and I had to stop and get a present."

"Oh, that's not a problem" Sally assured. "You're here now. Come in."

She moved out of the doorway, allowing Cassandra to enter the apartment.

Her eyes scanned the room. Percy was standing in the living room, a shocked expression on his face. But it wasn't because of her. No, it was because of the other man standing in the living room. Along with Percy, Tyson, and Paul (Sally's boyfriend), was another man who looked familiar. 

He wore Bermuda shorts, and a Hawaiian shirt, along with Birkenstock's, and a battered camp that said Neptune's Lucky Fishing Hat. 

Cassandra already had a pretty good idea of who he was, but when he turned and she saw his black hair and sea green eyes, she was even more sure of it.

Poseidon.

"Oh" She said. "Do you need a minute? I'm more than happy to step out."

"We're fine" Percy said. "You don't need to step out."

She nodded slowly. "Well, uh, continue whatever you guys were doing."

Paul glanced between Sally and Poseidon before stepping forward. "Hi, I'm Paul Blofis."

Poseidon shook his hand with raised eyebrows. "Blowfish, did you say?"

"Ah, no. Blofis, actually."

"Oh, I see. A shame. I quite like blowfish. I am Poseidon."

"Poseidon? That's an interesting name."

"Yes, I like it. I've gone by other names, but I do prefer Poseidon."

"Like the god of the sea."

"Very much like that, yes."

"Well!" Sally cut in. "Um, we're so glad you could drop by. Paul, this is Percy's father."

"Ah" Paul nodded, not looking very pleased. "I see."

Poseidon smiled at Percy. "There you are, my boy. And Tyson, hello son!"

"Daddy!" Tyson exclaimed.

Tyson bounded across the room and gave Poseidon a huge hug that almost knocked off his hat.

Paul's jaw dropped and he stared at Sally. "Tyson is..."

"Not mine" Sally promised. "It's a long story."

"I couldn't miss Percy's fifteenth birthday" Poseidon announced. "Why, if this were Sparta, Percy would be a man today!"

"Don't even start on Sparta" Cassandra muttered, remembering all of Apollo's limericks.

"That's true" Paul agreed, glancing at Cassandra to see what she said. "I used to teach ancient history."

Poseidon nodded. "That's me. Ancient history. Sally, Paul, Tyson... would you mind if I borrowed Percy for just a moment?"

The god put his arm around Percy and steered him into the kitchen. 

╰┈ ⋆。˚ ❀ *· 🌬 ࿐ ࿔ ˚:⋆ ✧・゚

When Percy returned, they ate so much blue cake and ice cream that they couldn't eat anymore, and played tons of cheesy party games, like charades and Monopoly.

"Let's go" Percy whispered from beside her, after they both had been knocked out of Monopoly by Tyson (Cassandra swore the cyclopes was some Monopoly god or something).

"Where?" Cassandra asked, her eyes narrowed slightly.

"Gods, I'm not trying to kidnap you" Percy said. "Now c'mon."

She rolled her eyes but followed the son of Poseidon into his room. "What do you want, Jackson?"

"Is that a present?" Percy asked, pointing to the gift bag in her hand.

"Duh" Cassandra said. "But it's for Tyson."

He stared at her with a blank expression. "No it's not. Because it isn't Tyson's birthday."

"Fine. It's your present" Cassandra admitted. "But I was waiting until the end of the party, to decide if I should give it to you or not."

Percy held out his hands, and she reluctantly passed him the present. A smile immediately appeared on his face as he removed the tissue paper and pulled out the two smaller wrapped gifts inside of the bag, looking at her for permission to continue opening the gifts.

"Go ahead" She said, waving her hand.

His smile grew and he tore the paper off of the largest of the two. It revealed a photo album, the cover being a picture of Cassandra, Annabeth, Percy, Grover, and Tyson standing outside of Zeus's Fist after the Battle of the Labyrinth.

"Wow" Percy muttered, flipping through the pages. "Where'd you get all of these?"

"Annabeth helped me" She explained. "And the camp has some of the Hephaestus and Aphrodite kids take pictures around camp."

"Oh" Percy muttered. "I love it, Cassie. Thank you."

She shrugged. "Glad you like it."

"Love it" Percy corrected.

The second gift was much smaller and lighter than the photo book. When he removed the wrapping paper, it revealed a black satin rectangular box.

"Fancy" Percy noted, taking the top off of the box. 

Inside, was a silver circular charm that read Water Boy with a small trident and snowflake underneath the words.  What he didn't know yet, was that a child of Hecate had charmed it to display whatever nickname she had used last.

He chuckled slightly. "It's great, Cass." 

"I thought you could put it on your necklace" She suggested. "But you don't have too."

"No, I will" Percy said, his hands moving to untie his camp necklace. "I love it. We should get you a matching one."

Her heart pounded in her chest, and she prayed that she wouldn't blush. "What would it say? Because I'm not wearing anything that compares me to an animated snowman who goes around saying happy birthday when it isn't people's birthday."

"Snow Queen" Percy said. "That's what it would say. Unless you prefer Ice Princess."

She shook her head, but had a smile on her face. "Please, Jackson. Me a princess? That's an insult."

"Alright, Snow Queen it is" Percy said, with a large grin. 

Cassandra shook her head slightly, but didn't seem very mad about it. "Whatever, Water Boy."

"Why'd you change my nickname?" Percy asked her. "It used to be Barnacle Brain and now it's Water Boy."

She shrugged. "It was too similar to what Annabeth calls you. I wanted to be different."

He hummed in agreement but didn't seem to fully believe her. 

They fell into silence, Percy patting and emptying his pockets, while Cassandra walked around his room looking at his posters, humming Under the Sea from The Little Mermaid.

He seemed to do a double take when he saw a small plant wrapped in cloth, and stepped out onto the fire escape, Cassandra followed him.

Sitting on the fire escape was a planter box filled with dirt. Percy placed the small plant inside carefully, and sprinkled some nectar on it. Nothing happened for a moment.

Then, as Cassandra watched, a tiny silver plant sprang out of the soil, glowing in the moonlight.

"Moonlace" She murmured. "I haven't seen any in centuries."

"Yeah" Percy said, looking down at his shoes.

"Calypso gave it to you" Cassandra said. "Right?"

He nodded, his face turning hot.

"Did you want to stay with her?" She asked him.

"I thought about it" Percy admitted. "But then I remembered how much trouble the camp was in. And that there was someone I had promised to come back too."

She wasn't sure it was possible for her heart to beat any faster. "Uh huh" She muttered.

 There was silence again, Cassandra staring at the stars above her.

"Would you hate me if I asked what that line in the prophecy meant?" Percy asked her.

"Temporarily" She admitted. "But I knew that you would ask me about it sooner or later."

"So can you tell me what it meant?"

Cassandra sighed. "I didn't kill Ethan. That was the choice I made."

"But how did that destroy your name?"

"He pledged his service to the Titans. And that made Kronos rise" Cassandra explained.

Percy nodded. "But what did it mean, destroy your name?"

"I don't know if you've noticed Percy, but the gods aren't very happy with me."

"What?"

"Hera ignored me. Poseidon didn't even acknowledge me. Dionysus wasn't as bad, but he didn't exactly say much to me" She listed the examples off, holding up a finger for each one. "My name is destroyed on Olympus. Every good and heroic deed I've done has been erased. Now I'm just the reason Kronos rose. The reason why Luke is gone."

"No you're not" Percy said quietly. "You're still the same hero you were. You always will be."

She took a deep breath, trying to hold back the tears. "I'm not though. I'm not a hero."

The last thing she was expecting Percy to do, was wrap his arms around her, his chin on top of her head. "You are a hero, Cassie. And you did the right thing by not killing Ethan."

Cassandra was stiff in his arms. "What are you doing?"

"What does it look like I'm doing?" He said. When Cassandra didn't respond he chuckled and said, "I'm giving you a hug. It's what people do when their friends are upset."

"I'm not upset" She muttered.

"Sure" Percy said. "And it's not my birthday."

She rolled her eyes but relaxed slightly. "I'm fine, Percy" She said. "Really."

Percy didn't believe her in the slightest but released her from his arms, watching as she took multiple steps backwards, staring down at the floor to hide her blush. "You need to stop blaming yourself. Isn't that what Pan said?"

"I know, I know" She said. "But fatal flaws are difficult to stop."

His eyes widened. "What do you mean fatal flaw?"

"I've known for a while, Percy" Cassandra said. "My fatal flaw is that I don't forgive. I hold grudges for too long. Against other people and myself" Putting it into words made it seem much more real than when Pan had said it. "It's just like Nico and Bianca. Except I'm not a child of Hades."

 "That's good" Percy mumbled. When Cassandra narrowed her eyes at him, he held up his hands. "I meant that it's good you aren't a child of Hades. We don't need anymore surprise children of the prophecy."

"I have my own prophecy to worry about" Cassandra said under her breath.

"What'd you say?"

"Nothing" Cassandra assured, a fake smile on her face. "We should stop talking about all of this stuff. Really kills the vibe. And anyways I have to leave soon."

"You're right" Percy said.

"Don't sound so surprised, Fish Face."

"Don't sound so sure of yourself, Snow Queen" Percy retorted.

Cassandra punched his arm. "Another snowball is going to be headed your way if you don't shut up."

"Fine, fine" Percy said holding up his hands. "So you're going back home after a couple of weeks?"

"Yeah" She said with nod. "I need a break from the godly world."

"Makes sense" Percy muttered. "Did something happen between you and them? When I asked at the beginning of summer, you seemed closed off."

"Something happened, yes" Cassandra didn't see any point in hiding it. "But it was a big misunderstanding. I worked it out with them."

"What happened?"

"There was a monster attack" The explanation was truthful, but so vague she knew he would want to ask her more. "I ran away to camp. But it's fine now."

Percy raised an eyebrow but didn't press the topic. "Oh. Well, I'm glad you got it all figured out."

"Yeah, I—"

"Am I interrupting something?" Cassandra whipped her head to find the source of the voice. She wasn't expecting Nico to stand there, looking almost as pale as her in the moonlight.

"No" Cassandra assured. "I was just leaving."

"You're leaving?" Percy asked.

The blonde nodded. "What's up, Nico?"

"I've done some exploring" He said. "Thought you'd like to know that Daedalus got his punishment."

"You saw him?" Percy asked.

Nico nodded. "Minos wanted to boil him in cheese fondue for an eternity, but my father had other ideas. Daedalus will be building overpasses and exit ramps in Asphodel for all time. It'll help ease the traffic congestion. Truthfully, I think the old guy is pretty happy with that. He's still building. Still creating. And he gets to see his son and Perdix on the weekends."

"That's good."

Nico tapped at his silver skull ring. "But that's not the real reason I've come. I've found out some things. I want to make you an offer."

"What offer?" Cassandra asked suspiciously.

"A way to beat Luke" Nico said. "If I'm right, it's the only way you'll stand a chance."

Percy took a deep breath. "Okay. I'm listening."

"Nico, what you're suggesting is dangerous" Cassandra warned. She had come to the same conclusion from her research, but it was insane for any mortal to try. 

"I know" Nico said. "But it might be the only way, Cassie."

"What are you two talking about?" Percy asked.

"It's been done before" Nico reminded her.

"I know, I know" She said. "The risks are insanely high, but it's our best chance."

Nico nodded. "If we do it right, he'll live."

Cassandra scoffed, and shook her head slightly. "There's a chance he'll survive. But I can't stay here with you guys, while you discuss this. It's our only shot, but that doesn't mean I like it."

Nico glanced inside Percy's room. His eyebrows furrowed. "Is that... is that blue birthday cake?"

He sounded hungry, and maybe even a little wistful. Cassandra doubted he had ever had a birthday party, or even been invited to one.

"Why don't you go inside for cake and ice cream" Percy suggested. "I'll be in, in a minute."

Nico nodded again. "I'll see you later, Cassie."

"Stay safe."

After, Nico had left Percy turned to her. "You're leaving?"

"Yeah" She said. "Argus should be here soon anyways. I need to get going."

"Well, uh, thanks for coming. I know it's been kind of weird lately and... well it just means a lot that you came."

"No problem" Cassandra said, with a small smile. "I enjoyed myself. Tell your mom thank you for me."

Percy nodded and looked down at his shoes. "I'll see you later. Feel free to, you know, call me if you want too."

"Sure" She looked at the moon again before turning back to Percy.

His eyes found hers, the moonlight highlighting the glint of mischief.

The next couple seconds happened in a flash, and she truly didn't entirely know what happened.

But somehow, her lips met his.

His hand started moving to press against her lower back, but just as quickly as it had started, it was over.

Cassandra pulled away and took a step back, her face hot. She felt stupid. He clearly liked Rachel and she had just kissed him again.

"Happy Birthday, Percy" She said quickly, and started running down the fire escape. 

It was as soon as she reached the bottom of the stairs, that she knew she had truly messed up.

Because she hunched over, a sudden burning feeling overtaking her entire body.

Like she was being dipped in burning hot lava.

And then she started gagging, her throat burning so much, she thought it might evaporate.

A migraine appeared. The worst migraine she had ever had. So bad, she couldn't think about anything other than the pain overtaking her body.

She gagged again, and leaned her head down closer to the floor, letting out whatever vomit she had created.

But this wasn't cake and ice cream.

No. It was dirty and polluted water. So hot it started to melt the concrete beneath it.

She began to shake, as she realized what had happened. What she had done.

No mortal had ever broken an oath on the River Styx and survived.

Even gods, were terrified of the consequences they would face if they broke their oaths.

But she had fallen in love with Percy Jackson.

She could hear the Fates laughing. 

Laughing as knitted the string that Cassandra's life depended on.

Laughing as she pulled out their scissors.

And then she knew, that Percy Jackson would truly be the death of her.

END OF ACT II

╰┈ ⋆。˚ ❀ *· 🌬 ࿐ ࿔ ˚:⋆ ✧・゚

author's note:

So sorry that this chapter has taken so long to get up. Writer's block sucks

Anyways, a lot happened in this chapter. Hoping none of you hate me for it.

Finally revealed Cassie's fatal flaw, which like Nico's is holding grudges.

Act III will be up soon!

Thank you all for reading this far and I hope you enjoyed!

PokračovaΕ₯ v čítanΓ­

You'll Also Like

134K 5.9K 20
and now he's dear, and so unsure, I wonder why I didn't see it there before. [ percy jackson x original character ] [ book two in the belle series ] ...
82.2K 1.8K 56
"abandon all your stupid dreams, about the girl I could've been, my dear." LUKE CASTELLAN X OC FEMALE PERCY JACKSON AND THE OLYMPIANS Β© All Rights...
134K 7.8K 53
for you, i would steal the stars. titan's curse - last olympian
3.4K 239 6
they say the end is coming. β˜† the last olympian β˜† book two in the 'midnight mayhem' series [ annabeth chase x fem!oc ] [ percy jackson x fem!oc ] (...