Lights Flicker And Fade : Kol...

By Chasing-Lightning

Once Upon a Time, MJ Ruiz was the witch who broke the hybrid curse, now...well, she is one. The ancestors are... More

~ read before starting ~
~ aesthetics ~
~ PART SEVEN: where loyalties lie ~
201: Nature Is Always Changing
202: Red Has Always Been Her Colour
203: Sonriendo Pa' Las Calles
204: Five Moments Of Interest
205: The Birthday Incident
206: Guerrilla Warfare
207: The Hierarchy of Needs
208: Three For The Price of One
209: The Benko Gambit
210: History Holds Us Tightly
211: You Hung The Moon
212: Underwhelmingly Easy
213: It's Gonne Be A Long Millennium
214: In Hell of New Orleans
215: A Gentleman Calls
216: Demons of Bourbon Street
217: It's About The Aesthetic
218: Between Two Worlds
219: Can We Breathe?
220: Walks and Runs Down Memory Lane
222: How To Make An Introduction
223: Right Where You Left Me
224: Emotionally Stunted and Overdramatic Immortals
225: The Axeman's Letter
226: Letting It Linger
227: The Song of Sirenum Scopuli
228: Beautiful Mistake
229: Please, Which Way I Ought To Go From Here
230: Pretty Little Bird
231: Out Of The Easy
232: The Other Girl In New Orleans
233: A Christmas Carol
234: Saviour
235: A Ghost Along The Mississippi
236: Look At Us Now
237: Wild At Heart
238: Things We Lost In The Water
239: Dead Angels
240: Things Burnt In The Fire
241: Postcards From The Edge
242: This Woman's World
243: Three Steps Back
244: Heart-Shaped Box
245: Moonlight On The Bayou
246: A Streetcar Named Desire
247: The Glass Menagerie
248: Burrows, Dens, Nests, or Nothing
249: An Old Friend Calls
250: Alone With Everyone
251: Behind The Black Horizon
252: One Day, MJ Will Get A Day Off
253: 269 Moves, 20 Hours, 15 Minutes
254: Family Business
255: A Little Louisianan Parlour Trick
256: Joining a Cult Is Surprisingly Easy
257: You're On Your Own Kid
258: The Devil Comes Here And Sighs

221: A Day Is Actually A Very Long Time

3.8K 227 390
By Chasing-Lightning

a/n: Somewhat early update x
Remember to comment and vote <3
Some of MJ's insecurities ramble out he he, topic's an 'interesting' one, hopefully enjoy

At The Mikaelson Compound, Freya had been in the middle of her morning yoga routine when Klaus had barged in, then paused in surprise. He eyed up the purple mat she was using before speaking.

"What are you doing here?"

"I live here?"

"Yes," He sighed, "Obviously."

She stood up to change positions, somewhat zoning him out after recent events.

"I just hadn't realised you were back from wherever it is you go to when you leave."

"There's this thing called supernatural hearing," Kol joined them, drinking blood from the housekeeper in a glass, slightly damp hair, "Try using it."

"And you're home too," Klaus smiled falsely, "Fantastic."

"And here I thought I was in your good books."

"You and Mira vanished," He turned his nose up, "Then my sister spent a night in her bed without leaving behind a strange gentleman caller for me to scare away when I find him pilfering the contents of my refrigerator for breakfast."

"Ah," Kol sipped, "You are aware we're under no obligation to constantly update you on our whereabouts?"

"But it would be appreciated."

"Your concern," Freya stretched her back further down, "For my location is touching."

Spoken as sarcastically as possible.

"I simply wish to know who is here at any given moment!" Klaus defended, "I hardly think that's too much to ask!"

Kol almost laughed at the anger, only for Hayley to walk in, angry too, Elijah by her side.

She put her hand in the air, "As long as we're taking attendance."

"Oh, good!" Klaus growled, "It's my not-so-loving older brother and my former one-night stand!"

Hayley rolled her eyes.

"What a nice, normal family gathering."

"Charming," She got to the point, "Elijah was just catching me up on how you have no clue which one of your long-lost buddies you can trust and which one is trying to kill you."

She glanced at Kol.

"None of you thought to mention this last night?"

"Mira and Samu wanted a night without accusations and theories," He shrugged, enjoying the panic spreading across Elijah and Klaus's faces at her phrasing, "We had a dinner party. Funny how neither of you were invited."

Hayley didn't let him start that fire, "Backstabbing sires?"

"Clearly a situation that needed more opinions." Klaus glared at his elder brother, "I assume you told her about the bloody prophecy?"

Elijah smiled, Hayley turning to glare at him again, "I was just getting to that."

"Don't bother," A gust of wind, and MJ was leaning in the doorway, "Mantra of the week; focus on a prophecy, and you create a prophecy. Don't fall into the trap."

Kol raised an eyebrow, expecting her to be showering post-run at about that time.

Hayley simply stuck her arms out, "What prophecy?"

"It appears my old mate Lucien has acquired a genuine seer," Klaus took the turn to explain, "And in an effort to prove his good intentions, he got her to show us some rather dire visions of future doom."

"There's always more than one timeline," MJ reminded them.

"It's grim stuff, really," Klaus scrunched up his face, "Not for the faint of heart."

"Who's doom are we talking about here?" Hayley motioned around, "Because, if it's yours, I think we're all okay with that."

Klaus chuckled, "Sadly, we're all on the chopping block."

"Well," Kol tilted his head, "Not that I want to make everything about me."

"But you do."

"I'm not on the list."

"Don't' jynx it!" MJ scolded.

"Says the person who doesn't believe in prophecy," Elijah reminded her.

"I believe in multiple futures," She course-corrected, "And I believe the universe likes to laugh at me – and therefore him."

"We can all keep our chins up," Klaus put out a hand, "This witch claims her visions are constantly evolving. So, maybe it will turn into just me."

Hayley looked at MJ, then the brothers, lips pursed, "You don't believe in it?"

"I believe not knowing is tough, but the best path forward."

"..."

"Hayley."

"I wanna meet the witch."

"Hayls!"

"I trust you," Hayley sighed, "But if this ends up being connected to Hope..."

All of their minds would turn a little one track.

"I just wanna meet her, then I'll make up my mind," She faced Elijah, "Tonight."

"Tonight?" Klaus glared.

"You got an invite too?" MJ tried not to seem too surprised Hayley was on their list.

All the attention was on her.

Elijah lifted his, "You did?"

She mimicked the gesture with the small card she'd found pinned to her door.

"Interesting," He shook his head, "Should I assume one of the members hijacked your morning?"

"Ish," She glanced at Kol, "Tristan DeMartel broke into Marcel's."

Maybe she needed to go around updating everyone's homes with magical security.

"Wants to meet me."

"No," Kol pulled a face, "He's dull, pretentious, and his parties are too."

"I need to meet him to get a read of his head," MJ reasoned, "If there's magic protecting it, and it's the same as the magic on Lucien? Proof they're working together."

Kol considered it.

"Only problem," She scrunched her nose up, "If I'm trying to play nice to get close to him..."

"I can't be there."

"Basically," She spun her invite around, "I was specifically told not to bring you."

He fought off his frown.

"No," Klaus didn't, "You are the last person we should be giving them access to."

"Giving them access?" She mimed vomiting, "What am I? Next week's lottery numbers?"

"A freshly turned rare item," He didn't sugar-coat it.

"Dude," MJ held a hand out, "I met supernatural traffickers when I was fifteen."

Everyone but Kol did a half-double take.

"I'm now one of the most powerful things on the planet, and twenty-one – I can handle it."

"And The Strix won't be looking to trade her like a pet," Elijah looked somewhat offended, "If anything, they'll simply be curious."

Klaus growled, "Eyeing her up like a toy."

"Which I'm not!"

"Certainly not yours," Kol glared.

"This is gonna be a long day," Hayley breathed in slowly.

"A Strix event is the last place I want to be tonight," MJ tried to wrap it all up, "But if they wanna invite me, thinking they're the ones analysing me, I will take the opportunity to prove that this is all stupid and fake."

"I should be there," Kol repeated.

"Given your history," Elijah eyed him up, "I disagree."

"What can they do to me?" He jested, "Give me more body parts to add to my collection?"

"We do not wish to poke a bear meant to protect us."

"Us?" Kol's eyes were fuming, "You."

MJ and Hayley shared a look.

"They cannot kill you."

"No one can kill any of us," Klaus shut down, "The stake is gone."

MJ didn't let herself react, noticing how Kol carefully straightened up, pretending to reign his anger in. If he acted too irrational or worried, they might start to question why, which could lead to MJ having to explain that she had two stakes in her possession.

No one could get to them.

And if no one knew but herself and Kol knew about that, no one would even be trying to.

...Surely, no one else knew.

Davina, Tyler, Katherine...Stefan...Bonnie...Damon – but no one else!

MJ's face dropped.

"What?" Klaus noticed.

"The stake is gone," She nodded, Kol turning to face her, telling her not to reveal it with his eyes, "Spirit Walkers..."

She wasn't going to reveal her weapons to a city with a million ears.

"My brother..."

How to explain it.

"When my brother and I first 'reconnected,' he made a comment about how if you were still bothering me, he could deal with it."

Silence.

"He repeated the same sentiment to Caroline."

"Your brother was arrogant," Klaus lorded, "And somewhat insane."

"How many of us also qualify as that?" Kol challenged.

"Point is," MJ raised her voice slightly, "If I've learnt anything from what happened, it's to believe in Ryos's capabilities."

Who else had come that close to genuinely wiping out all ancestral magic?

Klaus rolled his eyes, "You bested him."

It was meant to be a compliment.

"And he was a pathological liar."

"But his magic checks out," Kol said it, so she didn't have to.

Since Dahlia's defeat, MJ had been searching for flaws in his books, but there were none. None that weren't deliberate anyway. The book on resurrection was all dark corruption spells because he'd wanted to scare MJ away from the topic.

"In Italy," She shook her head, "He had both of you on the floor like it was nothing."

"And didn't we learn that was because he wielded one of your mother's stones?"

"My stones," Kol huffed.

"Which I now have," MJ interrupted, "You know, in the city."

The tension in the room went up.

"Aonso and Traveller are in me," She counted, "Talle, Essí and Quail are in my possession."

Hidden in a pocket dimension.

"The Asey have theirs, and The Pethane have theirs."

And they were now also in the city.

"Last I knew, it was with the Egyptian group."

"And your ancestor was part of the Egyptian cohort," Kol filled in the information his siblings didn't know, "The more talkative woman we met. Clio – Mira's great-great-great-grandmother. A relative of Qetsiyah."

Everyone but Freya was aware of the name, even Hayley, given her deal with Shane.

"Clio's father was Qetisiyah's brother."

"Lucien's prophet," Elijah's hand drifted up, "She called you a Bennett."

MJ looked at her boyfriend.

"Bennett, Ruiz, soon to complete a circle," Kol half-recited, "Given everything that happened yesterday, it somewhat slipped my mind."

"Fair," She thought about the statement, "And yeah, Qetsiyah's younger sister started the Bennett line, her older brother started mine."

"And one of those descendants is now in our city," Elijah spelt it out, "Potentially wielding a weapon that your brother demonstrated could affect us."

"I'm going to murder her," Klaus decided.

"You're not," MJ rolled her eyes, "Not yet."

"I feel like there's some reading I should probably be doing," Freya was barely following.

"I can give you my mum's history book," She sighed, "Point is, maybe that's why The Strix wanna meet me."

Hayley glanced carefully between Klaus and Kol, "They wanna pickpocket you?"

"It makes sense," She reasoned, "I used to wear it every day."

The Prison World Aonso necklace was sitting around her neck.

"May I clarify something?" Elijah learnt against the table, "Are we now operating under the assumption a Floare power stone can kill us?"

"Maybe?"

"It's a yes or no question."

"And if I could give you an answer, I would," MJ stressed, "But I don't know, and I think we'd all rather I didn't test it."

THE VAMPIRES
A Day Is Actually A Very Long Time

"Witches who can appear from any shadow are currently in the city to create two more of those stones," Elijah argued back, "And you are now telling me those creations could kill us?"

She grimaced.

"And, to my understanding, these people can see the past, present, and future, which would include any conversations we may have."

"I can put spells up to stop that."

"Which they would also see you doing – I assume."

"I mean...yes."

"Mira."

"They are not the problem here!" She needed their help, "They're here for me. The Strix might be trying to steal mine."

"Could vampires even wield them?" Freya posed, "Would the power not destroy them?"

"Depends," Kol spoke carefully, "Floare stones are a version of dark objects."

Everyone slowly turned to look at him.

"I did make them."

An uncomfortable glance.

"Logically, anyone can use them. That was part of their beauty."

A way to hold magic in his hands again, especially considering

"Almost poetic some of your first creations could potentially be the things used to kill us," Klaus seemed to have a million thoughts in his head, "Could they somehow break the sire-line?"

"No," Kol was sure of that, "However, they could give a witch the power too."

MJ's tongue pushed into her teeth.

"But they'd still need a spell, and the ingredients, two things they'd have to figure out – which they wouldn't be able to do."

Except, MJ had a version of a sire-line breaking spell...

Another reason The Strix might be interested in her considered they seemed determined to call her 'MiMi Pasare.' For all they knew, the seer was actually an infiltration specialist, using contact to read minds. The visions were based on fears she found in their heads, which she could then report back to Lucien. And MJ's head – and Kol's head, contained very important spells.

Though, that wouldn't explain the visions Freya had seen.

"But if they've done their research," Kol was still talking, "They could be misunderstanding something."

"Protective magic," MJ clicked what he meant.

"Exactly."

"For those of us who don't know their witch history?" Hayley waved.

"Like dark objects," Kol started, "Anyone can technically wield the magic inside of those trinkets."

MJ's neck started to feel heavier.

"The Floare assigned them to people they thought they could trust not to abuse that power."

And the power came with consequences.

"To a mortal, who can't cast spells, the power is slightly different. It boosts healing and strength and can sometimes even repel other spells."

"You think," Elijah tilted his head back and forth, "That they think the protective element will keep them safe from their sire link to me?"

"The legends about what Floare blood can do to a vampire are everywhere," He'd learnt a lot, "If you're dedicated enough to search properly."

"And I've become famous," MJ added, "Giving people motivation to investigate."

"Would it protect them?" Freya didn't look convinced.

"No," MJ answered, "Tyler had three on him, and he still ended up bloodied and bruised during Kai's Wedding Extravaganza."

That could've been more to do with Tyler not knowing how to use the stones he'd been looking after. And MJ didn't know if he'd even been wearing them that day. He would've had an awful time finding them post-shift if he had.

Not that she was going to tell the Mikaelsons that.

MJ was trying to diffuse tension.

"He had to trigger his curse to avoid dying."

A beat.

"I'm going," MJ didn't sound excited, "I'll see what I can find out – but I still believe that we shouldn't be focused on the prophecy. We need to focus on The Strix and Lucien."

"And your mysterious relative," Klaus jabbed.

Kol's body was stiff, "Any wrong move and she will be dealt with."

MJ swallowed.

Yes, she'd told Kol she was fine with him killing Clio – and she was! But if there was a chance she could get the magic out of her first, she'd take the help.

And she also didn't want to make Kol kill a Floare.

He'd made Dinah a promise, and he'd managed to stick to it, despite his bloodthirsty nature. Who was MJ to make him ruin that? Ask him...make him...however her brain wanted to phrase it. She wasn't gonna make Kol do it, and if they could avoid anyone doing it, they would. Even associating with someone else killing a Floare felt cruel to that relationship he'd clearly valued.

"And if they make any move on you..."

"I'll make them regret it."

"And she won't be alone," Hayley was eyeing up Elijah, "I'll be with her."

He moved his eyebrows up in acceptance that she would also be attending.

"And so will Marcel," MJ revealed, "And Elijah."

She probably shouldn't have mentioned that first part, so deliberately talked before Klaus's jolt-up could become an actual complaint.

"I have - "

Her phone rang.

Caroline.

"Um..." Eyes darting down to it.

She couldn't not answer it.

"Assuming you've spoken to Bonnie?"

"Bonnie?" Caroline sounded stressed, "No? Has Bonnie phoned you? What's happened - "

"Nothing," She assured her, "I learnt some stuff I passed on. You okay?"

"No!" She was pacing, "The heretics have locked me in Stefan's room - "

"Care - oh my god," MJ turned from the Mikaelson's, "I'll be right - "

"Who cares about that!"

MJ paused, eyes jumping from Kol to Klaus.

"One of them had a version of Stefan's journal!"

MJ straightened up, "What?"

"Yeah," She was shaking the phone, "Which documents their entire past love affair - "

"Care - "

"MJ!"

"Caroline - "

"Sorry, but if you found a book documenting how in love Kol was with someone who was now living with you - wouldn't you be freaking out?"

"What kind of spod do you take me for?" Kol laughed, "Who journals that stuff?"

"I don't know what that word means!" Caroline yelled, MJ moving the phone from her ear, "But Stefan's not a spod! He's romantic!"

Everyone's eyes were jumping between Elijah, the feelings journaler, and Klaus, oddly calm for someone previously a little obsessed with Caroline. Seeming more amused than anything else.

"Hello, Kol!" Caroline continued, ranting, "I didn't realise you were there, but if you're so desperate to eavesdrop!"

"Not eavesdropping if you're yelling - "

"Stefan and I are in such a good place right now - "

"Caroline," MJ watched Klaus continue to be calm, "Can I call you back in like an hour and a bit?"

"This is important!"

"Yeah!" She nodded, "But I have a work meeting I'm meant to be running in like five minutes. And you need to breathe."

Caroline considered it.

"This was what, over a hundred years ago?"

A false smile at Klaus.

"Despite the number of vengeful and still into exes we seem to meet - most people move on."

"...True."

"I'll call you back."

A pause.

"Are you sure you don't care about the 'spelled into Stefan's room' part?"

"Heretics are annoying mean girls," Caroline shut down, "You deserve your own title because you are nothing like them."

Raising her voice like she hoped they were listening to her.

"They are pathetic! In comparison!"

"Good to know? Why are you the target?"

"Lily's trying to mess with Stefan and Damon."

"I'm so happy I'm done with parent-kid wars," MJ sent the Mikaelsons a pointed look, "Stay safe. Speak soon."

"Love you."

"Love you too."

Hanging up.

Taking a moment to process the conversation.

MJ breathing in slowly, "I have to make a dress."

Her Halloween costume wouldn't work for a society event.

"And I've got work. And a best friend to calm."

"What is happening?" Kol had to ask.

"Do we need to know?" Elijah sighed, "We have - "

"I'd quite like to know," Klaus enjoyed Elijah's despair for it.

"Bonnie, Ric, and Damon are currently trying to kidnap someone to blackmail his mother into something. I didn't ask what. Didn't know Caroline was involved. If she's healthy enough to panic about her love life, I'm not gonna let myself stress about it."

Hayley's lips twitched, "No rushing off?"

"They said they don't need my help," She reasoned, "If I get a follow-up call, and Caroline's in actual danger?"

MJ would leave in a heartbeat.

"Until then, stuffy vampire party it is!"

A look to Kol.

"Sorry..."

"How long can a party last," He tried to look okay with it, "We can have our night after."

"Deal," She took his hands and pushed on tiptoes to peck his lips before turning back to the group, "Speaking of, I'm meant to be running a meeting..."

"Mortal hobbies," Klaus gagged.

And she was simply sticking out her tongue, then racing into the city.

Any semblance of teamwork vanished with her, everyone back to glaring at each other, trying to remember who was on whose side through the mess.

~***~

Kol found Sam and Pri on the edge of The Art's District, sitting in a café, talking with hot chocolates, three coffees in and deciding that any more would cause a problem rather than help Sam's shivering. Pri quickly excused herself once Kol was there, talking about sorting out her outfit for the evening.

"You're paying for everything today, then?" Sam mused, taking a croissant from him.

"I don't pay for anything," Kol omitted details.

"Of course you don't."

The sound of steps.

A twitch in the hybrids hands, quickly tugging on his jacket.

New Orleans was a busy city. It was practically impossible to find anywhere with low noise levels to aid their mission of keeping him from getting overwhelmed. They could've gone to some of the high estate areas, where people were a little bit older and quieter, and slower, but, in Kol's eyes, that wouldn't have helped. Pri and Sam had led themselves into the Art's District, so that's where they were gonna start too.

"Familiar spaces," He gestured, "This is the street you and Davina took me to at the start of our music café tour."

"I'm aware," Sam lifted his eyebrow, deliberately not looking anywhere but him, "I'm oddly surprised you remember."

"Why wouldn't I?"

"We were your 'MJ needs space' helpers," He shrugged, "Kinda assumed you were clocked out thinking about her during it."

"You make me sound so two-dimensional."

Sam considered it, playing with his sleeve.

He opened his mouth to say something, a shiver going through his body, cutting him off.

A shiver, followed by the shadow of black lines pushing out from around his eyes as two people turned onto the street.

"Samu," Kol tilted his head, "I know you can hear me."

The white turned black too.

"Or maybe you can't?"

In the past, Kol had always ignored people when he wanted to feed, meaning he had to assume other people could hear too – but it seemed different.

"Carlin."

Sam took a step forward, force enough to shift the pavement stone, showing that he was about to take off; the two humans closer than before. Just missing being made into breakfast by Kol moving quicker, charging them into the nearest alley, Sam a human board against the brick wall.

Panting back to reality.

"Interesting," Kol scanned him, "A jolt brought you back."

"Dude," Sam shoved him off, leaning back to rest his hair against the brick, "A simple kick would've been enough."

"We don't know that."

"It's – "

"What aren't you telling us?"

Sam paused, "What?"

"You're going insane from losing your pack mates. You were mad at not knowing if you hurt anyone while trapped as a beast – what else?"

"Do I need something else?"

"You're holding something back."

"Pri said I needed to find a 'metronome,'" He dodged, "You know what that means?"

"Motivation."

Sam preferred her phrasing, awkward at Kol's blunt response.

"Which certainly helps, but as someone who didn't have any most of the time, it's not make or break when it comes to controlling a feed. Stop holding back."

"I'm not holding back."

"You've been holding back your whole life."

Sam scoffed, "And what would you know about my life?"

"I know you managed to stay hidden in a city full of werewolf sensors, meaning you've been holding back," Kol put it simply, "I told you already. You and Mira are ridiculously similar people."

There was a lowness in Sam's eyes as he heard a different person laugh from the street, heart jumping.

Craving something.

Craving the blood missing from his own body in a way he'd never felt before.

"Training yourselves to repress yourselves in fear of being found out for what you truly are."

He swallowed.

"Seeing you get mad was probably the first time I respected you."

"I'm not like that, Kol," He closed his eyes to try and tune it out, "I'm not good at this."

"You seemed like a natural before."

"MJ trained me well."

He placed the bag of food back in Sam's hand, "Don't undersell your contribution to that."

"If I was so fine, why – "

"Because we all have bad days!"

"You don't understand – "

"I don't understand?"

Slowly, Sam opened his eyes to look at the Original Vampire.

"I was the first witch to ever transition."

A sentiment that had become a bit of a joke to justify Kol's behaviour, but was still entirely true.

"I lost all sense of self," His ears twitched, "But what would I understand about how hard it might be for you to adapt to life again?"

Trapped as one thing when you knew you were meant to be something else.

"A vampire with a humanity switch that broke, resurrected with their emotions restored after a thousand years of nothing, doesn't know what it's like to be overwhelmed?"

Sam breathed in slowly.

"Dead for over a year, unable to touch, taste, or be heard by anyone? Except for once in a blue moon, suddenly back in the realm of the living? Everything rushing at me?"

The hybrid slowly nodded, "Sorry."

Kol's turn to pause.

"I shouldn't have said it."

"...No?"

"No?"

"Why are you apologising?"

"I was being stupid," Sam carefully scrunched up the top, feeling the paper bag between his fingers, "Being dead for over a year trumps being a wolf for six months."

Kol's mouth opened.

It shut.

"You good?"

"I wasn't trying to 'one up' you."

Sam folded the paper, "I know."

"And I don't want you to apologise."

"Why not?"

"People don't apologise to me," He scowled, "I don't need – "

"Grow up, man," Sam's shoulders untensed, "An apology isn't sympathy or whatever bogus thing you were gonna say. It's normal and, like, the bare minimum."

"And saying stupid things when you're mad without worrying about consequences is too," Kol corrected, "Hence, don't apologise."

"Are we really gonna argue about this?"

"It's not an argument; I'm right."

"Except," Sam passed the bag to the other hand, "If I stop worrying about consequences, I'll feel shitty inside, and I don't wanna play with the humanity switch."

"Why would it make you play with the humanity switch?"

"Because I want to yell. And whoever I yell that, I'm gonna hate myself for. And if I start to hate myself more than I already do, I'm not gonna want to feel anything."

A beat.

Kol trying to understand that line of thought, "...Yell at me."

Sam pulled a face, "No."

"Why not?"

"I don't wanna yell at you."

"Why not?"

"Why would I?"

"It's fun to yell."

"For a Mikaelson," Sam joked, "I'm normal."

"And you're suffering because of it," Kol pointed out, "Let yourself be."

Sam rolled his eyes.

"Be a wolf. Be a vampire."

That was what Sam had made it sound like he wanted to do.

"And trust me to stop you if it goes too far."

"I'll do it if you learn to accept an apology."

"I can accept an apology."

"Mhmm – "

"I've accepted them from – "

Sam punched him in the face.

Hard enough to send him flying into the opposite wall, the sound of a jaw cracking, followed by a long breath out.

"That..." He reluctantly nodded, "That helped."

Kol rubbed his face, "I said 'yell' at me!"

"You'll heal."

Kol actually laughed, "To think you were above Mira's 'toxic masculinity.'"

"It's not toxic," Sam shook his arms out, "It's kinda toxic."

A beat.

"Listening to Davina talk about 'Kaleb' really pissed me off."

"I assumed."

Sam held out a hand, "Thank you?"

"You're," He took it, letting Sam pull him up a little, "Still holding something back."

"Whatever."

"Not whatever," Kol let go, turning back towards the nearby street, "Potentially going to make you feed on every person who slightly aggravates you until – "

"Can we just get something to eat?"

Kol gestured to the bag in his hand.

"Actual food," Sam reasoned, "Not that I don't love a croissant, but I need heat until I get used to not having fur again."

"Full-cooked brunch," Kol smiled, "You know another meal that would warm you right up?"

Sam gave him a look.

"It will help."

"Kol – "

"I won't let you kill anyone," He sounded bored, "Come on."

Sam was still again.

This time, though, no vampire features were forming.

It was more like a natural instinct, the hairs on his neck to standing.

"Samu," Kol narrowed his eyes, scanning around, "Ah."

It took a moment, but Kol could assume what the source of the shift was.

"You lot used to be subtler."

The outline of a purple eye on the wall – in the middle of their shadow.

When Sam turned to look at it, too, his eyes went wide, "What the – "

"Ignore them," Kol didn't need him getting distracted, "Pethane Floare."

"An MJ thing?"

"Precisely."

They weren't there to chat or anything, just there to watch.

The way they always did.

And Kol was going to force himself to focus on the task of the day, Sam, over the witches he was somewhat obsessed with.

"We're getting food."

~***~

Given that it was Halloween, after her meeting, MJ's job that day was photographing the ScreamFest pop-up just outside of the city centre, kids running about, actors making people squirm and laugh, going from interactive walkthrough to interactive walkthrough.

It was precisely the break she needed from the supernatural chaos.

Something else that would help with that?

Calling Caroline back as she walked home.

"Sorry for the delay. Had to cover a photo thing for someone."

"No worries," Caroline sounded odd, "...I talked to her."

"The girl?"

"Valerie," She said the name, leaning back on Stefan's bed, "It's...I..."

"Caroline," MJ paused her walk, "Are you okay?"

"I don't know."

"What did she say?"

"I - um - I thought about what you said," She started, "It was a century ago. He didn't remember her - I didn't need to be bothered. And, she's with the Heretics. Bitchy little devils who like playing with people..."

"Pretty-faced human Stefan compelled into something," MJ followed.

"It wasn't."

MJ felt her heart hurt, "What was it?"

"Love," She was quiet, "She was his first. Everything."

MJ blinked slowly, resting against a lamp post to get out of the way of the other pedestrians.

"She was forced to abandon him."

"Care..."

"I'm okay," She sat up, fabric moving around her, "Just...confused."

"Please don't self-sabotage."

"Is it sabotage to ask him about it?"

"...No?"

"I, just," She shook her head, "Do you remember how hardcore he rejected me?"

"When we were in Junior Year. It's been what? Four years?"

"But - "

"Times change. You realise what you were blind to."

"He was blind to you," Caroline didn't sound resentful, "The Elena-Glasses came off, and he wanted you."

"Because I was safe," MJ reminded her, "Because he was in pain, and needed an easy answer to it."

"Which makes me?"

"Who he actually likes."

Caroline let herself nod.

"Talk to him," MJ encouraged, "Learn from the mistakes of the past. No hiding things, the way you did with Matt. No pressing the big red blow-up button, like with Tyler."

Caroline laughed.

"You said it - you're in a good place. Don't let this ruin that."

"But what if he realises he still cares about her?"

"Then I beat him up for hurting you."

"But if she makes him happier - "

"That's a 'what if' - we don't do those here," MJ shut down, "Give Stefan a chance to talk to you. If he claims it's nothing and it turns into something, I beat him up. If he's honest?"

"We go from there."

"Exactly."

"Honesty could be that he doesn't care anymore," MJ reminded her, "How important is your first time, really?"

"Mine was technically Damon," She grimaced.

"Exactly," MJ stressed, "Firsts are firsts - it's who you finish with that matters."

"I love you."

"Feeling's mutual."

"It's very useful that your boyfriend is over a thousand, so you've already had to deal with all this stuff."

"Eh," MJ shrugged, "Not like I was a virgin when I met him. We both have our body counts."

Caroline snorted.

"His might be miles longer - and filled with prostitutes - "

"Mira Jung!" Caroline fake gasped, "Are you slut shaming the people who've slept with your boyfriend?"

"No?" She clicked what it sounded like, "No! Kol couldn't be bothered to pretend to be interested in someone unless he needed something, sex a bonus. Used Red Light Districts for it otherwise."

Words quick.

"Not insulting anyone! Talking about actual prostitutes."

"Oh?"

"Yeah," MJ laughed, "Scared of how you compare to an ex? Imagine their literal profession being sex work."

"Doesn't have to mean they're good at it."

MJ somewhat knew that. Prostitution was often incredibly manipulative work; women were forced into it, especially in the decades Kol had been running about, because it was the only way they could survive. Kol's involvement because he'd enjoyed viewing women as objects.

God, MJ had to be so careful about how she thought about Kol's past sometimes.

Not the time.

At least, with prostitutes, it implied payment rather than compulsion.

The bar was on the literal floor.

"But," MJ spoke, "My brain is going to assume that they were!"

"Oh, baby."

"It's fine! Not thinking about it!"

"...You good?"

"Yeah."

"MJ," Caroline enjoyed the conversation being mutual, "Do you need to talk about your own problems with dating immortals?"

"I'm honestly chill," MJ promised, "It's hard not to be insecure, but, like, what can you do?"

'you're the first in more than you realise'

"Kol cares about me. That's the bit that matters."

As insecure about it as she could feel, she couldn't let insecurities tule.

Focus on Kol.

Focus on them - the way she always told him too.

"I hate that you're so mature."

"Means I offer sage wisdom."

"Which I get to benefit from."

"Precisely," MJ let herself start walking, "Talk to Stefan."

"Will do."

"And let yourself be positive," She finished, "You are not a second choice, Caroline."

Where all of it was coming from.

"You're amazing, and he's lucky as hell to have you."

"Thank you."

When MJ arrived back at her apartment, two people waiting outside her door; Tia and Kaleb.

"Hi?"

"Hey," Tia tried for a smile, "We thought about coming to a meeting, but I'm still not particularly welcome."

The French Quarter Coven was adapting to having the Voodoo Queens, just...very slowly adapting. Some older members weren't trying, uninterested in mending a bridge that had been burnt to dust in their eyes. From what MJ could tell, they didn't view it as a race thing, more, a 'the voodoo queens chose to leave us and the ancestors' thing. She thought that was just an excuse to ignore the race argument – but they weren't ready for that conversation.

"And I'd rather not," Kaleb's eyes were darting around her face.

"No worries," She moved to unlock her door, "How can I help?"

"We were wondering about the serial killer."

She paused.

"Is it a vampire?" Tia pushed onto her feet, "Witch? Or wolf?"

MJ thought through her options, "We're leaning towards vampire."

"Do you know who?"

"I have theories."

"Two witches are gonna get attacked at The Cauldron," Kaleb rushed out, "By a werewolf."

MJ scanned him.

It wasn't like she'd spent much time with the guy since he'd woken up, and she had to keep reminding herself that Kol's tells weren't his. She couldn't read him the way she once had.

"You two wanna come in?"

Kaleb looked to Tia, who did one slight nod.

Letting them rest on the couch, she flicked her wrist, drinks being poured and a plate of biscuits laying out on the coffee table while she dumped her things. She needed to transfer the photos to her laptop and email them to the editor, but she could also let the magic do that once she'd put the camera down and gotten her jacket off.

"What happened?"

"Nothing yet," Tia clarified, "He had a bad dream."

MJ perched on the coffee table, facing them both, "You did?"

Kaleb nodded.

Silence.

MJ biting her lip to let the beat happen.

"You said you wanted to tell someone," Tia prompted.

Kaleb's eyes glanced awkwardly around the room.

Pictures across walls of MJ and her friends, as well as Kol.

"...Did I live here?"

"Nah," MJ leant back a little, "I moved from that apartment."

"Do you...you know..." His eyes motioned to the wall.

"I don't have pictures of you," She assured him, "At least, I'm pretty sure I don't – and if I find any, I'll delete them."

"Is he here?"

"Kol's out."

Kaleb slowly bobbed his head.

"You know I'm happy to answer any questions."

"Answering questions doesn't give me almost a year of my life back."

She let the semi-insult hit.

His eyes were pinned to the floor.

"I am sorry," MJ knew saying it wasn't enough, but it was better than nothing, "And I'm also technically your elder. So, if you have a problem, Kaleb, you need to tell me."

It was odd to remember that he had been a French Quarter Witch, i.e. under her care.

"Communication leads to safety."

"I, uh," He kept his head down, "I haven't practised magic in a while."

MJ glanced between the pair, clocking Tia's soft smile at the fact he was talking.

"Didn't really want to."

"I get it."

"Even when I did practise," He shifted, "I was never one of the good ones."

"Good is subjective."

He gave her a look.

"It is," She put her hands up, "But continue."

"I never had voices in my ears, or cold feelings – or dreams."

"Until now," MJ assumed.

"They never cared when I'd take breaks before," He huffed, "I've had three this week."

"About?"

"Fearmongering."

"Meaning?"

"I'm just..." He looked at Tia again, who nodded for him to keep going, "I'm walking through the city, and I can hear these voices."

"The spirits?"

"I don't know," He admitted, "I don't know what ghosts are meant to sound like, but I, uh, I always imagined it'd be like a choir or a crowd – and it'd be a bit muddled."

MJ pursed her lips.

"This was, like, a set group of voices," Kaleb stressed, "Chanting a spell. The first time I was in that vampire house. So I assumed it was some memory from when Kol was using me."

MJ was thrilled they couldn't hear her heart rate picking up.

"Then, I don't know who I was – just some guy in The Cemetery."

"And last night," Tia encouraged.

"I was a Crescent wolf – I don't know which one."

MJ would've.

"And I ended up at Jardin Gris," He was playing with his fingers, "And unlike the other ones, where I was just watching these...moments? Play out, there were two bodies."

"Whose bodies?"

"It's the last two Harvest Girls. Um, the regent and the blonde one."

"Davina and Abigail," MJ really didn't like that.

"Which can't be real," He shuddered, "Even if I'm not the most devoted follower, The Regent isn't about to just die."

MJ swallowed, "Regardless, thank you for telling me."

"So you don't think it's real either?" Tia questioned.

"I don't know," She would be honest, "Davina is young and impulsive and constantly fighting with the spirits herself."

If any other witch had come to her, MJ wouldn't have been so honest.

But neither Tia nor Kaleb were about to parrot anything.

And, he was hearing chanting?

"Jo was killed. Anything's possible."

Kaleb seemed to turn paler.

"But, why you?" MJ prompted, "No offence, but you said it yourself. You don't get visions. You don't hear voices. And you're barely in the coven– why show you?"

Kaleb nudged Tia, like he preferred that comment despite it technically being an insult.

"You said fearmongering?"

"It is," He finally met her look, "Two Harvest Girls with slit necks, waking up to chant with the spirits?"

He shook his head.

"The spirits are trying to scare me into re-joining."

"But," Tia argued, "As you also said, they never cared when you stopped before."

MJ considered it.

"Why couldn't it be a warning?"

"T," Kaleb pulled a face, "You, of all people, think the ancestors would be nice enough to give us a head's up?"

"I worry about you."

"Tia – "

"If you see two dead witches, I'm gonna want you safe."

"If I'm in the coven, we can't be...us..."

"You can," MJ waved a hand, "Do whatever you want with whoever you want."

She was taking the entire story as confirmation they'd been together pre-possessing.

"Any coven member preaching ancestral rules from 1866 can be sent in my direction."

They went quiet.

"We don't live by the dead. We fight for the living."

Ana Ruiz had changed her last words to MJ for a reason.

"Is there any chance you'd let me in your head?"

Kaleb's eyes went wide, Tia placing a careful hand on his arm.

"I need to see the dream."

"Why?"

"You don't know what the ancestors sound like," She spelt it out, "I do."

Intensely.

"If it's a message from them, we need to know, and if it isn't?"

He'd described it weirdly.

"I'd also like to know who's sticking their nose in our business."

Since Lucien clearly had some kind of magic on his head.

"Plus, I know every wolf in the pack. I'd know who you were seeing."

"No," Kaleb had frozen, "I – I don't – "

"That's fine," MJ made herself sound as warm as possible, "I wasn't expecting a yes."

He didn't relax.

"But I'd like you to keep the option in mind?"

"We'll talk about it later," Tia answered, "If you're happy to keep the option open?"

"T – "

"She can help you!"

Silence.

"Everyone in this city has a reason to hate everyone else," Tia was too kind, "But we're trying to be a new age."

"A better one," MJ agreed.

"I'm sorry, K," Tia looked heartbroken, "I know this is the worst combination of people for you, but everyone needs to start trusting each other."

MJ fiddled with the biscuit plate to her left.

"Especially people who've shown their cores to be good, even when they've been involved with mistakes. That she didn't actually play a role in."

"Don't excuse me," MJ rushed out, "I could've jumped him back sooner."

"But this is bigger than any of us," Tia continued, "You don't have to be ready yet, Kaleb."

Her grip on his hand was gentle.

"But those Harvest girls are eighteen!" She shook her head, "The other two are already dead – I mean...they're kids. It sucks, but it's how it is, and we can't control their fate by taking this slow."

Kaleb had been twenty-two, according to Kol.

"You'll need to get on board eventually."

A realisation his MJ like a truck, posture bolting up.

"MJ?"

"This started a week ago?"

"Yeah?"

"Shit."

"Shit?"

"The Pethane."

Kaleb and Tia's faces were blank.

"You guys notice the travelling witches camped out in the park?"

They nodded.

"I'm an Aonso Floare. They're Pethane Floare."

"You know 'em," Tia realised, "You think it might be from them?"

"An elite and exclusive group of witches with knowledge of the past and the future," She summed up, "They'd know who you are from watching me, and wires can get crossed with dream messages."

And she knew they'd been watching long before they'd shown themselves.

They'd been about for at least a week.

At least.

"It's – well – okay," She pinched her cheeks, "I can find out if it was them. Don't worry about it."

"About the dream or them?"

"Them – definitely be cautious with the dream."

"More than cautious," Tia shuddered, "I work in Jardin Gris."

"I'll add extra protection charms."

"Thank you."

"It's bare minimum behaviour, no thanks necessary," MJ shook her head, "I was gonna come see you today anyway to tell you about The Pethane."

Tia's posture started to relax.

"I know it's awkward," MJ looked directly at Kaleb, "But please keep me updated on any more dreams."

He was shifting further into Tia's side.

"And on if you change your mind about letting me take a proper look."

He didn't respond.

"I wish I could be more help," She really did, "But I have a vampire party to attend in the hopes of catching a serial killer, so..."

"We'll go," Tia finally took three biscuits from the tray, "Sorry."

"Do not apologise," She stressed, "Literally pop by whenever you want – any questions or worries."

A beat.

"...I can show you what you can't remember..."

Kaleb slowly stood up, "Maybe."

"That's an unconditional offer, by the way," MJ rested in her spot, "You won't need to do anything in exchange."

He managed a smile, Tia taking his hand and squeezing.

"Be careful."

Kaleb bobbed his head, "You too."

~***~

"Pethane meaning?"

"It really doesn't matter," Kol dismissed Sam's intrigue, "A problem for a different day."

"Nu-uh."

They were walking down streets.

"What are you hiding?"

"Nothing."

"Then tell me."

Kol frowned, "Why do you care?"

"They're part of my friend's heritage," Sam said like it was obvious, "My issues aren't more important than that."

Kol really analysed his face.

They were further into the city now, doing a smell test. A collection of food markets that were clearly making him twitch. Strong spells – things he wanted to eat, but not the things he truly craved. No human blood. Some blood, though. Some of the raw animal meat a little too similar, forcing him into a pattern of breathing and finding small things to focus on.

"How are your siblings?"

Sam was rightfully guarded, "My siblings?"

"They're young, aren't they?"

"...Yeah."

"Do they still remember you?"

"Obviously?" His features turned sharp, "I'm their brother."

He shrugged.

"In my family, we practise this thing called liking each other."

"And you would do anything for family."

An awkward pause.

"Do you count Hope as family?"

Sam raised an eyebrow.

"Sirebond and all."

"Just 'cos your parents are technically your sires doesn't mean the rest of us are as tightly obsessed."

"The modern generation never had the right amount of respect for us," Kol gloated.

"Dude – "

"Not milking my own ego," He mused, "Simply noting how the older a vampire gets, the more respect it has for the person who turned it – some create empires out of it."

"Yeah?"

"Elijah has a whole secret society in his name."

"Elijah's a hypocritical egomaniac."

"Something we can agree on – still," Kol pointed at him, watching how Sam tried to breathe shallowly to avoid getting overwhelmed, "It explains my question."

Sam breathed, closing his eyes and stretching his neck, "She's a kid."

"Therefore, you'd protect her regardless."

"Yeah."

"It must suck to know that in a life or death situation, you'd be forced to save her over them."

A wave went through his body, eyes open, "What did you just say to me?"

"Surely you've thought about that?"

Sam swallowed.

"I'll take that as a yes," Kol spoke victoriously.

"Stop looking smug about it."

"Are you even mad at Klaus?"

Sam squinted, "Of course, I'm mad at Klaus."

"Sam," Kol was enjoying being a know-it-all, "Honesty here."

"I'll be honest when you stop being an ass."

"So you admit you're not being honest."

"I admit you think you can read people based on nothing."

"Nothing?"

"You haven't connected with people, Kol," Sam called out, "How can you think anything you assume about them is true when you have no past evidence to base it on?"

"You assume I've never tried."

Sam opened his eyes to look at him this time.

A more solemn Kol.

"Davina doesn't count."

"Why not?"

"You were lying about your identity for most of it," Sam lifted a cup of hot tea, moving it with the point, "Doesn't count."

"Mira's friend's Jeremy."

"Who you befriended because?"

"...I needed to use him."

He pointed, "Doesn't count."

"But after I died, he talked his girlfriend into helping me."

"Out of guilt or friendship?"

Kol hesitated, "Guilt."

Sam held the cup up in victory.

"I've been alive for ten centuries – I've made some friends."

"Mhmm."

"You know, Davina," He stressed, "Had the same argument with me."

Sam went quiet.

"Like minds."

"Go fuck yourself."

"Why fuck myself when I have Mira – "

"My god!" Sam laughed, "I actually hate you."

"Everyone starts off that way."

He just sipped, letting the taste of hot chocolate wash away his momentary worries.

"You defended me to Hayley."

"Momentary laps in judgement."

A beat.

"Sorry," Sam's eyes jumped around, "This isn't fair."

Kol raised an eyebrow.

"You're being nice."

Kol wanted to laugh at the term being used in relation to me.

"...I thought being around my family would be enough, but it's just making it worse."

"Obviously," Kol took the win, "They're powerless to stop you if something goes wrong."

"It's not fair."

They were stilling, Sam leaning on a bench near them to look across the road.

"I've waited six months to be back, and I can't even be around them?"

Someone knocked into them, turning his body rigid.

People.

Skin-to-skin contact, no protective fur blanket or stability. Nothing except his family and MJ breaking that barrier while he'd been under the curse.

He's always liked contact. He was affectionate with family and friends alike because it helped him feel secure. How those hugs had got his mum through the early years. But that part of him was now down a gutter being set on fire, then funnelled into the earth's core, so they didn't have to put up with the smell of it.

Sam hadn't wanted to lose it.

He hadn't even noticed he'd lost it until that moment.

The rapidly gaining breath was different to the initial stillness Kol had watched, but it ended the same way. With his eyes flickering between tired but human and hungry and red – hooded by black veins.

Kol pinched the bottom of his neck, strong enough to break the skin.

"Dude!"

Kol simply shook the blood now on his hand away, "You need to feed."

"Been there, done that, massacred a bar."

"Because you were with a werewolf who is also your mother," Kol cringed, "We're finding test subjects."

Sam's eyes scanned him.

"Trust me."

"Potentially," Sam admitted, "Eventually."

"Meaning," Kol didn't really care about trust, but it felt nice to hear, "You'll take my advice when I suggest we spend the afternoon getting you to a hundred turns."

"I don't care about the sire bond – "

"You do," Kol called out, "You're scared of it, hence why you never address it."

"I'm hardly sacred – "

"And," He patted Sam on the shoulders to get him walking forward, "Once you break it, you regain a sense of self-control."

"...What do you know about it?"

"Mira's best friend was the first person to do it," He shrugged, "I infer information."

"I guess."

"After everything, don't you want some self-control?"

His silence was a clear 'yes.'

"You can be honest with me, Samu."

"I can't."

"Why not."

"Because we both know you'll be more than willing to use it against me one day."

A harsher silence.

"Look, man," Sam rubbed his face, "I appreciate you trying, but don't force it."

Kol bobbed his head.

"I wanna get on. I know you could probably help me."

The list of people who truly knew what he was going through was very short.

"But I've just been through hell, and I need a minute – Support, not psychoanalysis."

"Okay."

"Thank you."

Though Kol responded with the right thing, he wasn't about to change his tactic.

Not until...

"I can't break the sire bond," Sam looked like he hated saying it, "You're right. It might be the fix I need to feel like myself again. But I can't."

"Why not?"

"If I brake it, Klaus kills me."

"Mira cares for you; he wouldn't."

"I'm not wagering my life – my baby sibling's older brother – on using feelings to control someone," He shut down, "If that were reliable, MJ and Hayley's friendship would've saved us."

"That was about Hope."

"And the sire bond isn't?"

Kol had to give him that.

"I'll try whatever else you want – "

"Feeding."

"Fine," Sam gave in, "But I'm not breaking that bond until I feel a million times safer than I do right now."

"Good plan," Kol wanted to boost his ego, "Now feed."

He pointed to a man smoking around the back of a restaurant on the opposite side of the street.

"Or I continue arguing my case like a pompous ass."

Sam curled his lips in, considering it, before slowly nodding.

"Thatta boy."

"If it looks like I'm gonna kill him – "

"I'll step in."

Sam wasn't a freshly turned vampire.

He knew the drill, the tricks, and how easy it was to repeat the steps MJ had talked him through the first time. This time, he also understood his own speed to get across the street instantly, unseen and powerful, capturing the cook's eyes in his own.

Kol watched like a hawk, leaning on a lamppost, scanning the footfall that might see them.

Busy people, busy days.

No wandering eyes that truly lingered.

The hybrid talking with hushed words, a simple conversation with the power of compulsion seeped in to make the stress of it all drift slightly. Make it easier.

A request for a wrist.

Kol was usually a lot more direct.

Or he'd use his initial conversation to freak the person out more.

A bite, fangs digging through the skin, pain on the human's face that Sam closed his eyes to ignore, Kol counting how long he took, how far apart the heartbeat was, and how many times Sam almost opened his eyes. How many times he almost pulled away but didn't.

About to swoop in when the hybrid pulled back, neck turning away for a few deep breaths.

For a hand wipe across his chin, followed by a desperate lick to get the last of it.

"Bit disgusting."

"Again, fuc - " Sam was about to curse at him, the pair the only two able to hear each other, "Hold up, no way you haven't done worse."

"Oh," He nodded proudly, "I have."

"Then go – "

"It's funnier when it's people with standards."

Sam actually managed to laugh, straightening up to stare back at him across the street.

There was a pause as let himself take in the location.

Biting into his own wrist and sending the chef on his way with a final message. Letting him know where to go if he died, woke up and remembered the encounter.

"It's not just about Klaus."

Kol raised an eyebrow as Sam let himself step into the crowd by himself.

"Of course I blame him – I can't..."

"Sire bond?"

"This isn't the sire bond," Same admitted, "This is me being smart enough to know it all comes back to Elijah and Freya."

Kol's lips twitched.

"Klaus didn't need to do what he did. He could've listened to MJ. He could've just incapacitated us for a little bit – and I'm not about to forget how much I missed out on."

Six months was a long time when the kids were young.

"But he wouldn't have pulled his bullshit if it wasn't for Freya, Elijah...and Hayley...I mean, leaving was Jackson's plan."

"So, you're not breaking the sire bond because you don't fully have an ire against him?"

"Hope's a baby," He repeated, "Babies aren't evil."

No matter how many witches seemed to disagree.

"And I'd rather be her babysitter under Klaus than a wolf Elijah thinks he can sacrifice because we have Hayley in common."

He vamp-sped back to Kol's side.

"My friends are all getting a burger in an hour."

Kol pulled a face.

"Human friends, not wolf ones."

"Slightly less awful."

"I originally said no."

"Want me to babysit?" He teased.

"Kinda."

"Will there be booze?"

"Maybe."

Just because Sam didn't drink didn't mean his friends didn't.

"MJ knows most of them too, so no one would question me hanging out with her boyfriend."

"Lead the way."

~***~

"There are three of them," Tristan spoke to Aya, standing in the doorway to the greenhouse-like space, "Four if we count Niklaus."

"Only if we count Miss Pasare as the same," Aya was watching the work inside.

Two women dressed in long dark cloaks, spreading ingredients across the pool in the centre of the room, buckets in their arms, one filled with a mix of herbs, the other, a mix of petals. Gentle tosses out, letting them fall through the air and float across the surface, a perfume-like smell in the air. A male body in the centre.

"The naturally turned one doesn't seem like much either."

"Hence his lack of invitation," Tristan ran a hand up the stone, "We could hand him to The Sisters."

A third cloaked figure came from a side room, holding a designed glass filled with blood.

"See if it sparks any inspiration."

"To think," Aya faced him, unimpressed, "You are meant to be the one who's observed our future friend."

Tristan didn't follow.

"Touch Samu Carlin, and we lose any appeal to Ms Pasare and The Regent."

"The Regent hasn't called on the wolves since she took control of them."

"But she still did it," Aya spoke calmly, "We interfere with that; we interfere with her."

Tristan sighed in agreement, "For a hybrid, I have been entirely unimpressed by him."

"Do you really find the wolf woman that impressive either?" Aya was bored, "The fight you witnessed may show strength, but any vampire above a certain age can have that."

"Come now, Aya," Tristan's eyes gleamed, "Let us not pass judgement so quick."

"You just did for the other one."

"I see potential in one, disappointment in the other."

"And MiMi?"

"Lucien got an entire sit down with her," His demeanour became tenser, "I deserve one too."

"Then don't put your foot in it tonight."

"Lucien put his in, and she still let him talk," Tristan's arms came out, "I just need to meet her."

"And you think she will allow do-overs," Aya followed.

"As long as she attends, I will declare it a victory."

"Kol Mikaelson might put a spanner in that."

"Then we have an entirely different angle to poke at her from," He kept his smile clear, "Her intrigue will bring her."

Aya just watched the third witch pour the blood into the water.

Blue flames burst to life across the surface, the size of people, roaring hot, like it was masking screams.

The witches stepped back and turned to face them.

"I take that to mean we have a success?"

Aya's smile crept in, too, "Quite possibly."

The flames vanished as quickly as they appeared, smokey aromas inescapable in the air, the body's eyes burning gold, then snapping shut.

~***~

Kaleb's dream had sent MJ into a bit of a spiral, sitting in her room trying to work out what it could possibly mean. Scare tactics implied that something was wrong, when the covens were the strongest they'd ever been – and it just didn't make sense.

Even with Davina having Kara killed, it didn't make sense.

Weirdly enough, the only thing to bring her peace of mind was sitting in front of her sewing machine. Staring at the needle instead of the Halloween costume on her desk.

She was meant to have been having a fun and hot night out with her boyfriend.

Her fingers itched until she finally caved.

Vampire speed had many perks – including dress designing, all the fabrics she's slowly started to buy during the summer ridiculously handy. Her old measurements were not perfect, but close enough to cause a glow in her heart at the realisation her weight was back to where it was meant to be. Properly.

MJ's hair seemed slightly lighter after a summer of sun, influencing her colour choices. Blue was a colour that always surprised people, assuming it wouldn't suit her, but the red tone to her hair, and the underlying tan of her skin, somehow pulled it together. Her prom dress suited her beautifully despite being blue. Sitting in her closet like inspiration, next to the Mikaelson Ball dress.

Her favourite dress.

One she would've been tempted to wear again if not for Kol's lack of invitation.

Out of all her materials, MJ pulled out a teal blue. Able to make it lighter or darker based on how she layered the chiffon fabric, tight around her waist and chest, slightly curving down into a maxi skirt with a large slit. Complete form-fitting dresses were never really MJ's thing.

Over the slit, fabric seamed together to make three folds, gracing down to the floor, covering her left leg if she was standing, but able to lie perfectly to the side if she sat. Along the bodice, flower ruffles were embroidered, mixing chiffon and thread, starting in one corner and growing across to the other in a diagonal, cupping her breast. Layering the chiffon material to add that extra texture to the design. Light blue and green, completing the sea-like energy.

Pulling it on, her figure was wrapped perfectly, and for the first time in a very long time, MJ truly enjoyed looking at herself in the mirror.

Going out to clubs was one thing. MJ could dress in a way that brought attention away from her face, in a location where lights were low, drinks clouding vision, making it easy to pretend she felt good. Showing up to seduce Kol with her clothes clearly now simply a way to trick herself into feeling secure in her skin..

Appreciating her slight curves, skin smooth, hair glowing – actual health, despite the scar down her face.

All the other things she'd made over the summer, small steps leading to that moment, staring at the reflection, unable to keep her smile in.

Make-up and jewellery coming out to start working out what to do.

Every inch of skin was ecstatic.

With MJ's hair now past her shoulders, she could style it easily, golden leaves pinning some back while still allowing her to feel the comforting locks across her shoulders and back, specific hairs framing her face with their curl. Small rose-shaped earrings of the same metal, blue eyeshadow with a slight glitter gold under the eye, and a gemstone pressed next to the outer corner. Meant to make her features seem lifted rather than hooded. And old arm clasp coming back out, metallic leaves, merging water with forest.

Then, the question of whether MJ was going to bait them.

Wearing the Floare stones was like asking them to get nicked, but hiding them was almost admitting she was scared they could beat her.

She clipped them all onto her charm bracelet, alongside Kol's pieces, and headed out the door. Using a spell to make sure they'd be completely immovable from her body.

A protective measure.

Not an admission of weakness.

The streets were the definition of alive, despite the murderer on the loose. Groups of people working out whether they wanted to party in public or private, among them, MJ's heeled feet coming to a stop, smiling at Kol, Sam, and a collection of Sam's human friends.

While the group gave her quick greetings, they mainly kept walking, leaving them to talk to her alone.

"Hey!"

Sam's face brightened, Kol's feet locked in place behind him.

"You look good," She threw her arms around Sam's neck, able to feel the tension, "Today's been okay?"

He half nodded.

She looked at Kol.

He blinked.

His mouth opened slowly, shoulder slightly slumped, lips twitching.

"Freshly made," MJ did a small spin, "Turns out I'm still good at last-minute dress design."

With vampire speed help.

"Like it?"

He managed an almost violent nod.

"Earth to boyfriend," She snapped his fingers, "Nothing you haven't seen before."

"I hate I'm not going with you," He found his words, "You're beautiful."

MJ took his hands in hers, beaming like a kid, "Right?"

He laughed at the lack of modesty.

"For like, the first time in forever."

Kol's expression faltered, confused, "M - "

"Don't read into it - I'm just happy."

"Feel free to go with her," Sam half-encouraged, "I'm feeling better – "

"And I'm not welcome where she's going."

Sam almost laughed, "Ah, so I'm already the second option."

"And I'm ready to have fun with that."

"Not too much," MJ teased, squeezing his palms, "Your girlfriend is suffering and would like you to have some leftover energy for when she's finished and Halloween can begin."

"I'll always have energy for you."

"You guys are gross," Sam decided.

Then, he froze.

His nose had tilted, and his eyes were darting around, trying to spot something they couldn't see – throwing MJ back in time to all her witchy moments that had her dubbed crazy.

"Sam?"

He didn't respond, black lines appearing around his eyes.

"It's happened a few times today," Kol kept his voice steady, "It's fine."

"Fine?"

"He's adjusting."

The world was a loud place.

"He hasn't attacked anything, and if that changes, I'll handle it."

She pursed her lips.

"Mira."

"I trust you," She did, "But this is difficult."

"It's really not."

"He needs to get back into feeding, which he can't do if he spaces every time he's spooked..."

"He needs to get drunk."

MJ gave him a look.

"He does!" Kol smiled confidently, "Let lose in the normal way, survive the evening, make some fun memories – and realise it's okay to do so in the supernatural one."

She patted her skirt slightly, considering it.

"Alcohol," He repeated, "Pretty women."

A gesture out, ending with his hands on her hips.

"Dancing until he drops."

MJ let Kol sway her from side to side.

"Wake up with a new understanding of the benefits of being free."

"Kol," She stepped back, looking at Sam again, "Don't make him drink."

"But – "

"Trust me on this?"

Kol masked his half-offence, "Okay."

"Sorry."

"It's genuinely been a good day."

"Yeah?"

"Yep," Kol nodded, "And if any problems pop up, a quick neck snap and I'll chuck him in the basement."

"Kol!"

"I'll catch him, calm him, and get him somewhere comfortable."

"Thank you."

Sam cleared his throat, eyes still spacey but vampire lines gone.

"You good?"

He nodded.

"Sam."

"I've been walking the city all day," He spoke carefully, "I'm ready to enjoy my night."

Kol gestured in victory.

"Have fun," MJ was handing the situation over, "I'll see you."

He forced a smile and nodded again.

"Love you both."

Kol winked while Sam half-waved, cueing her to walk away.

Only for Kol to catch her wrist and pull her back in a rush of air, cupping her face with one hand, the other tightly on her hip, lips crashing into hers. Needing to feel the familiarity of fabric beneath his hands – perfume like a cacoon of sweetness, making damn sure her mind would only be on him.

Biting down slightly.

Sam coughed, "Guys?"

MJ pulled back, eyes closed and resting into his chest.

"Are you good?"

"Perfect," She kissed both his cheeks, "Have fun."

She did want them to have a good time; she just knew Sam's family history with alcohol.

"I will murder anyone who tries to dance with you," Kol spoke contentedly, "Skin them alive, make shoes, and then send them back to The Strix to add to the collection of my gifts I'm sure they keep."

MJ couldn't help but laugh, knowing it was meant as a compliment to her.

"Later."

"Later."

This time, they watched MJ go, both listening out for her heartbeat to be a little less clear, i.e., leaving them to it, then embracing the slightly awkward silence forming.

"I'm sorry?"

"You need to stop apologising."

"Apologising isn't a bad thing," Sam reasoned, "You've spent enough time around Ryan by now. 'Admitting mistakes is key to growing' is some of his advice."

Kol bit his bottom lip slightly.

"You good?"

"How long have you known him?"

"Since I was eleven."

"How?" Kol wasn't even sure MJ knew the full story, "Your parents just became friends?"

Sam's lips twitched slightly, "They met in a group therapy circle."

Kol's brain seemed to malfunction.

"Was a bad therapy circle; they ditched together, went drinking, ended up bonding."

"And he's just been in your life since then?"

"There's a bit more to it," Sam's chin lifted slightly, awkward, "I thought they were dating. They weren't. Some police stuff - "

The original's interest peaked, "Police stuff?"

"Don't worry about it," He shrugged, "Ryan Jung is a superhero. That's the end of the story."

"You can't reveal something like that - "

"I don't think MJ knows the story; therefore, you can find out if she ever asks."

Kol tilted his head, "Are you hiding something?"

"Not intentionally," Sam seemed relaxed, "It's not anything bad. It's just awkward to talk about the stuff her dad did for my mum and me while she was in hell."

Kol had to give him that.

"He might've covered it, but I'm not gonna push her to listen to the stories."

"Fair enough - regardless of his influence over you, pointless apologies are stupid."

"My apology wasn't pointless," Sam defended, "You're missing something."

MJ's fancy outfit.

"Not in the slightest," Kol patted Sam on the back, cueing him to walk into the crowds again, "I wasn't even invited – the nerve."

"Elijah's secret society?" He assumed.

"The Strix," Kol preferred the shorter term.

"How much of a problem are they gonna be?"

"Who knows," Kol dismissed, "Not our problem – we have a task."

"Mhm."

"I wish to know..."

MJ's words were in his mind.

Kol's original plan hanging there like a taunt.

Determination that he could be trusted to do these tasks without the backseat driving.

"I wish to know how much liquor it takes to tip a hybrid into euphoria."

"I don't like it, Kol," His eyes were sharp, almost paranoid, "If MJ's there – "

"Mira will be fine."

"This is Elijah's society. The guy who snapped her neck."

Kol almost smirked, "Learning to hold a grudge, are we?"

"Always held them, finally acting on them."

Kol clicked his cheek.

"They're a problem. Tell me how to help."

He could have responded with something dismissive. Something with a deeper meaning about how he can't truly help until he is in his right mind – but Kol honestly didn't like those options. They were guilt-trippy and stupid. And Sam was asking to get involved with a society Kol already hated.

Having been itching for a fight with the sire-lines since Lucien's arrival.

"You willing to work with Klaus for a night?"

"If it means I get to channel all," Sam looked at the tension in his arms, "This."

Pure, animalistic rage.

"Into something."

Kol smiled, "You will."

They changed direction.

"And we can still use some booze in it."

Sam looked slightly unsure.

"He's at a party," Kol explained, "Looking for Lucien Castle."

Jealous that Elijah was getting a whole ball celebrating him.

And trying to get the seer to let Hayley have a bite once the party was done.

"We'll join him, knock back a few, see which interesting characters we meet – then crash the ball!"

Slowly, Sam let himself nod.

Pri had said drunk nights out made her value her immortality. Might not have been what she meant, but that was what he'd gotten from it...

~***~

MJ sped to the location on the business card she and Marcel had received. He was waiting for her outside the Davilla Estate, and MJ couldn't help but pause to stare at it. She'd seen so many fancy houses by now that she was only doing to mentally rank it among them.

It felt cold.

That was one thing she could always give points to The Lockwood House for not doing. Even when she hadn't wanted to be there, it had never made her bones chill.

The Davilla Estate did, despite the red brick trying to seem inviting.

Vampires were flocking in, women dressed up in feathers and fishnets, dancing while people fed, presenting themselves as dinner when off the platforms. Very vampire. Very hyper-sexual. Teen-MJ's brain probably imploding at how many of the events adult-MJ had been to.

Marcel stilled in the main doorway, "You ready?"

"Are you?" She countered, taking his arm.

"I'm being scouted," He reminded her, "For all we know, you're being offered up for bidding."

"I'd like to see them try."

"Either of us wants out?"

"Say the word," She agreed, "We have each other's backs."

"First and foremost."

With that, he led her further inside, truly showing MJ just how many vampires had invaded her city, setting off an unknown amount of panic.

The feeding.

The suits.

The ugly side of wealth.

So much power in one location, beyond just the vampirism. Famous actors thought to have died young in the 1940s and 50s – a few even from her TV screen today. So much for subtly...though, that also gave her some sense of self. MJ wasn't a subtle vampire. She was planning to be as her as she wanted to be for the rest of time, hopefully becoming a conspiracy theory for locals or something.

That was basically what Marcel had done.

"Marcel!" An African American woman wearing a silver outfit came towards them, "And Miss Pasare."

Marcel placed his hand on MJ's.

"Welcome."

"It's MJ."

"Not MiMi?" She almost teased.

"Not to you."

MJ hadn't bothered with a mask, but now she wished she had.

No.

No. No. No.

She needed to focus on how great she'd felt while looking in that mirror, not how much she wished people didn't know who she was. She deserved to be known. She'd earnt her reputation.

*Channel Katherine Pierce*

Face clear, eyes pulled towards her as the other guests clocked her arrival.

Even if she'd never posted a picture on MiMiPasare, they could connect the dots between her and the website; other people probably sent to scope her out and distribute photos. Her childhood shadow of mystery that had sent Ric into a research spiral of dead ends almost felt like a dream.

In only four years, she'd gone from enough of a trace to be real, not enough to be tracked, to semi-famous.

"I'm Aya."

"And?"

"I'd be nicer to me," Aya mused, gesturing to the staircase, "Your friends fate is mine to dictate."

Following the gesture, MJ saw black hair, as luxurious as ever, plump lips slightly pink, Pri's light brown skin cooler under the lights. 

Fuck everything.

Fuck the night out.

Fuck the fact it was so obvious.

Fuck the fact one of her oldest friends, who she was meant to be able to trust – who she'd defended, was standing there. In a white-styled suit, no shirt, jacket covering her body thanks to a think belt. Teasing cleavage with a thin but draping necklace leading down her body, only her second and thirds in her ears, completely empty of any other jewellery or identifying features.

MJ had never thought she'd ever see Pri without her nose ring.

Or at a ballroom affair.

And she'd been dumb enough to think her friend would've come to town to help her.

To spend time with her.

To make up for everything they'd lost because of MJ's constantly moving and literal death.

MJ tried not to look visibly ill thinking about it.

Watching Pri sip wine while laughing with some man in a suit on a ballroom staircase.

"Pri," She whispered, watching as her friend straightened up.

Vampire hearing.

Pri turned gracefully, lifted her wine glass and winked, sending a smile like that was enough of an explanation.

"Get your ass here, right now – "

MJ choked on the air.

There were so many faces between her and the staircase, and somehow, she recognised another one.

It had taken her a minute, given the suit.

A fancy pressed outfit – no blue sports hoodie.

Hoodie.

Sports.

A high school cosplay now replaced with the armour Elijah donned every day.

No outfit change could create a face, though.

No feeding buddy this time, but the same face. Seven years later. Preserved in the immortality MJ had passed out before stripping away – burying her in the ground to cover the attack. Cover his choice of a fourteen-year-old feast.

The same tattoo symbolising 'Muller' on his hand.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

641K 15.6K 61
Rory Forbes, Caroline Forbes' sister, never knew what she was walking into when she came back to Mystic Falls. She had no idea about everything that...
125K 3.3K 51
'she was a savage, a fucking brute, unafraid to fight for what she wanted, brave enough to go to war for what she deserved' -R.H. SIN 'she wore a tro...
104K 3.1K 46
𝐋𝐞𝐨𝐧𝐨𝐫𝐚 𝐌𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐞, A girl turned weapon, obtaining an insatiable desire of knowledge. Desperate to hold the worlds secrets in the palm of...
1.7M 63.6K 41
Ophelia Armstrong never intended for her life to be anything out of the ordinary. All she ever wanted to do was finish school, meet a nice person, se...