The Warrior Son and the King'...

By SwirlySystem1028

Cover designed by: @iuna_zn What if instead of defeating this power-hungry tyrant, and stopping his plague o... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13

Chapter 3

249 5 0
By SwirlySystem1028

\\April 24th, 19:00\\
The Void Islands, End.
Rain

I land gracefully near the edge of the island as to not run into any guards. Her wings fold inwards and the rocket boosters almost sink into my shoes as I began to walk to the Lance's palace. I adjust my lapis colored suit jacket and putting on my matching mask.
"Just landed. Wings work like a charm. Approaching the palace now." I speak into my walkie-talkie, the walkie connected to the Frostborne.

"It should be up ahead from where you're at. Enter through the front with the rest of the guests." My father said back.

I stop in my tracks. "This is a party at the palace? Wouldn't they have a guest list?" I ask.

"There is; however, one of our spies on the inside smuggled you onto the list. You will be under the name 'Rin Goldblune', fake identification has already been put in the pocket of your dress pants Rain."

"Understood. I'll update you when I'm inside, over and out."

\\April 25th, 19:12\\
The Void Islands, End.
Stella

  I take a strained breath as I enter the ballroom. Heads turn to the three of us as the announcer addresses us properly. A learned smile finds its way to my face, my eyes scanning the room full of people, few I knew, most I didn't, some who's masks covered their identity so well I didn't know if I had bet them or not.
  I quickly took to my father's side in the room next to two void-colored thrones before he went on with a long and winded speech I couldn't catch on to. The hazy feeling in the air fills my tired lungs of a thick smog, one I was quite used to breathing in. Every bronchial, every alveoli already tender and struggle to open and breathe.

  The crowds raise a glass to my father's speech, as cheers of approval roar from the crowd below. A server next to me presents me a glass of champagne, which I politely accept from him and raise to my father. He smiles brightly at me before taking a sip from his glass, the room following him. I hesitate for a moment, still feeling the suffocating tightness in my lungs, before taking a quick sip of the bubbly liquid. The bitter taste causes me to cough up a lung, but thankfully the room had gone back to their mingling and paid me no mind. All but my father. He nearly tosses the crystal glass to the polished end brick floor. His arm wraps around me slightly turning his attention fully to me.

"Are you okay my dear?" He asks after I stop coughing.

I nod still clutching my chest. "Yes father." I answer, my voice horse. I lean against his shoulder. "That was a good speech." I add, although not actually comprehended it.

"Thank you." He said with a small smile. "And you look beautiful my dear."

I smile. "Thank you papa."

"Now are you going to spend the whole night hiding out with Ciara or will you attempt to socialize with some of your fellow noblefolk?" He asks with a slight humor in his voice. I frown, brushing the front piece of my hair behind my pointed ears awkwardly. Father bites lip. "... If you ever get uncomfortable you can sit up hear with me as long as you need."

I pause, the pain in my chest causing me to tear up. I clear my throat before speaking. "I'm going to go find Ciara!" I quickly declare to him, and stand up before he could say anything otherwise. I hear him quickly stand up behind me, but stop. I rush down the winding staircase, careful not to trip on my starred cloak or white ballgown. I stop at the stair landing, looking up at my father to see him making conversation with Ceris and young man behind her; Ceris looked to be introducing him. Odd, but I couldn't find myself to care. All I care for is getting out of this smog-filled environment

Politely pushing past some partygoers, I made my way to a table of non-alcoholic beverages for the younger folk. I accept a crystal-like glass of water, and almost drink it all down in a few gulps as I try to erase the ashy taste in the back of my throat, and the pain in the sides of my forehead.

"Princess Stella!" I hear a voice all too familiar. I cringe, before turning around to see a tall draconic man I know. Lord Crevan.
Crevan is Miss Ceris' ex. He's a tall man with pale skin and large jade wings extending from his back with solid, stern eyes to match. Stern eyes, and a smile his kingdom, let alone the dimension fell in love with. But underneath that charming noble and gracious gentleman demeanor I'm told lies something sinister. What exactly I'm not sure, father, Ceris, and Marcel barely leave him around me long enough to have a conversation; however, I'm sure there's a reason for that, and why Ceris parted ways with him in the first place.

"...Good evening Sir Crevan." I greet, taking a step back. My hand slips over the rim of my glass and I hide it behind my back. I look up by the raised platform where my father was to see him striking a conversation with the young man, Marcel seeming to have joined in. Ceris had left.
They're too far to signal or call for. I note nervously.

"By the crystals, my dear. I hear it's already your twenty-first birthday? My, you've grown up to be as strong as your father haven't you?" He asks, reaching for two glasses of champagne, and steps closer to hand one to me, only making my chest tighter. I stare at the alcohol he was offering with a look of caution.

"N—No thank you. I'm alright." I say, revealing my glass of water with a slight chuckle.

He shrugs, taking a sip. "Your loss." In response, I laugh nervously as he drinks the remainder of one glass and began the second. "Now, may I ask, have you seen Ceris? I've been meaning to have a discussion with her."

I pause. "I believe she's still in her quarters getting ready!" I lie, stepping away, my back touching the marble wall behind me.

Crevan's face hardens as his brow furrow. He steps closer to me, pushing his shoulders back further, making him appear slightly taller. He opens his mouth to speak when—

"Crevan." A echoey voice speaks up bitterly, startling us both. Standing behind us was the woman in question, Lady Ceris.
She steps up, placing her empty crystal champagne glass on a waiter's tray, folding her arms across her back.

"Ah! There she is!" Crevan beams, his wings lifting slightly. He steps over to her, attempting to kiss her hand.

Ceris clears her throat. "Go along Stella! Enjoy your birthday deary. I can deal with him."

I nod and slip out from behind the taller man. She shoots me a nervous glance as I back away towards the side balcony door.

Lady Ceris is strong, and capable. She's more than fit to civilly settle scores with a fox like him. She will be just fine.

To escape the fox and the smoke of the party, I swiftly step out onto the balcony, the cool evening air knocking the ashy air from my lungs almost throwing me into a coughing fit. I reach out a shaky hand for the wall next to me to catch myself. I take in a shaky breath of the cool air, my shoulders slump as I rest in the sea of my gown.

"You okay ma'am?" A new voice asks. I look up to see the young man my father was talking to just a few minutes ago standing in front of me, offering his hand extending to me. He looks about my age. I hesitantly take his hand, and he hoists me up.
The young man wore a dark suit with a lapis colored suit coat. He has longer, inky hair that flows out of his face; tanned skin, lean build; a black mask with painted-on blueberries over the top half of his face; and two comforting, ocean eyes, ones that you could almost feel the care and warmth behind.

"I'm quite fine, thank you." I state, folding my arms over my chest as soon as I stand up. "Just needed a breath of fresh air." I turn back to the door, less than a second away from rushing back through the smoke-filled room; less than a second away from going back to find Ciara; less than a second away from barricading myself in my room and reading books until dawn.

"Care to join me?" He asks politely, motioning to the spot next to him.

I stop in my tracks, closing my eyes painfully. "Uh—"

I'm... not going to be here forever like I thought I was, and I want to see you settled down before I go! Whether it be with a darling husband, or a trustworthy group of friends. My father's voice plays in my head, repeating what he said this morning.
I'm not going to be here forever.

Maybe I should give it a shot to make a friend? After all, being in a room full of strangers isn't an improvement if I can hardly talk to one. I thought to myself before hesitantly stepping away from the door and moving over to only a few feet away from him, the two of us looking out on the village below us.

"So... what do you think of the party?" He asks.

I pause. "To be honest, I'm not a fan of parties. All the small talk with snobby royalty, weird food, and uncomfortable outfits, not my idea of fun." I state honestly.

He laughs with me. "Agreeable. So, what is your idea of fun?" He asks.

"I like to read with a good cup of tea, and practice my magic." I state, creating an arcane sword in my hand before dissolving it immediately. "Now... what about you?"

Now it was his time to pause, putting a finger to his chin. "I enjoy swordsmanship, but I do like cooking with my father when we can!" He answers.

"You don't have servants cook for you?" I ask.

"N—No, we do. It's just... there's this nice feeling you get when you complete it yourself, don't you agree?" He elaborates with a smile on his face.

  I giggle. "Oddly enough, I do! Not sure what it's like to be related to a military official, but things around here are more so expected to be done for you. People could get in trouble if they don't." I shrug sadly, propping my head up with my hand.

  "How did you know I was related to a military official?" He asks stunned at my knowing.

  I turn my back to what lay below the balcony and towards the door. "You have the build of a soldier, and you mentioned your fondness of swordsmanship. Official because you'd need to be pretty highly ranked to get invites to a place like this, and you look rather young to hold any rank without being born or adopted into this life." I state rather calmly.

  He pauses for a minute, his cheeks oddly flushed. I smile.
I am not quite sure with what it was, but unlike the other partygoers in the crowded ballroom in front of us, the smoke in the air seems to fade, my tired lungs finally able to breathe.
Conversation didn't feel forced or smog-filled like it did around the others from the party. For the first time since in a while, I found someone who seems to not fill my lungs with soot and ash.
"You have quite a keen eye for detail." He compliments before chuckles rather fondly. "What might they call you?"

  "Stella." I state. "And you?"

  "My name is Rin, Rin Goldblune."

...

\\April 24th, 19:27\\
The Void Islands, End.
Rain

  A young woman, about my age, pushes the balcony door open in a startling hurry. Before another second passes I quickly hide my earpiece, and turn slightly to her. She had slumped to the floor in a tired manner. I tilt my head to the side as I admire her.
  She had long violet locks tied back into a long braid; her skin still looks pale and smooth, not something common in the Frostbourne, especially for someone our age; her eyes were a ghoulish set of void eyes with white, glowing irises, not uncommon for someone around these parts.
  Her gown resembled that of a ballgown, or almost a wedding dress. Her dress was a pale, creamy white, which was fitted around her torso like a corset before flowing down past her waist to the floor, almost like a river; no, more like a galaxy with all those stars flowing up from the layered skirt. Around her was a sheer, decorative cloak of the same color, patterned with hundreds of small stars.

"You okay ma'am?" I ask, reaching my hand out to her. She shook her head, almost waking from a trance before looking up at me slightly startled.

  "I'm quite fine, thank you." She states, accepting my hand as I pull her up. "Just needed a breath of fresh air."

I shrug, walking back to the railing part of me not giving the woman a second thought as she turns to the glass door; however, the other half already made a decision without me even thinking of it.
  "Care to join me?" I asks politely, motioning to the spot next to him.

  The woman stop in her tracks almost. "Uh—" She trails off before pausing.

What where you thinking? A voice in my head screams in her silence. Your job is to get information, not chat with fancy ladies at a party!
I tune out of my thoughts, and the next thing I know, she is standing next to me, staring over the balcony edge.

  "So... what do you think of the party?" I question, trying to think of some small talk.

  She pauses again. "To be honest, I'm not a fan of parties. All the small talk with snobby royalty, weird food, and uncomfortable outfits, not my idea of fun." She speaks what sounds genuinely, before giving a slight giggle.

  I laughs with her. "Agreeable!" I agree almost immediately. "...So, what is your idea of fun?" I ask."

  She smiles brightly. "I like to read with a good cup of tea, and practice my magic." She states before unseeably creating a magical, glowing sword that levitates just slightly above her palm, before it dissolved just as fast as it was created.
  I try not to react to it, but it was definitely shocking. "Now... what about you?"

  ... What do I like? I thought, putting a finger to my chin.
  This question shouldn't have stumped me as hard as it is; however, with everything going on in the Overworld, I haven't really had time for that stuff anymore. Nowadays whenever there is any downtime, all I do is train, spare, repair her wings, and maybe take a nap. Any sense of leisure or normalcy was left in the rubble of where Glacierford stood, I don't even know if I even enjoy my old hobbies from back then. All everyone thinks about is ending this war.
What is something normal for someone my age to like?

  After my long pause, I finally come up with something. "I enjoy swordsmanship," I trail off thinking of another fun thing. "—but I do like cooking with my father when we can!" I answer her.

  She looks confused. "You don't have servants cook for you?" She questions.

  I take another quick pause. Crap, stop with your crisis and don't break your cover! I scold myself. "N—No, we do. It's just... there's this nice feeling you get when you complete it yourself, don't you agree?" I elaborate, assuming it will fall on deaf ears, or maybe a snort of laughter, but she looks... interested in what I said. Her eyes wide with curiosity.

She giggles shortly, a bright smile on her face. "Oddly enough, I do! Not sure what it's like to be related to a military official, but things around here are more so expected to be done for you. People could get in trouble if they don't." She spoke before propping her head up with her hands, her long locks flowing in front of her face. Her bottom lip curls up as she sadly gazes over the balcony.

I pause for a moment and I could feel the blood drain from my face. I place my hand atop where I know my firearm rests under my suit coat.
Did she... no, she couldn't have known. I thought sternly.

  "H—How did you know I was related to a military official?" I ask with a slight chuckle to my voice, almost to cover the fear.

She smiles warmly, "You have the build of a soldier and you mentioned your fondness of swordsmanship. Official because you'd need to be pretty highly ranked to get invites to a place like this, and you look rather young to hold any rank without being born or adopted into this life." She states rather calmly.

I pause, withdrawing my hand from my coat and intertwining it with my other.
She's the observant kind it seems, good thing we pushed to wear the eye mask. No doubt she'd recognize me. I thought, feeling myself get a bit red of embarrassment.

  "You have quite a keen eye for detail." I compliment before letting out a fond chuckle to cover up my silence. "What might they call you?"

"Stella." She states, looking up at me. "And you?"

"My name is Rin, Rin Goldblune." I answer with my cover name.
Stella... why is that name so familiar— I thought.

  "So, Rin," Her voice drew me from my thoughts. "would you want to head inside with me? Try some of that weird food maybe?" Stella asks, her hands intertwining with one another.

I look at her and pause.
  That would be fun... she seems different from the other nobles. Maybe... she's the ally on the inside? It would be helpful to form better connections with her then. I thought, before my stomach gave a quiet rumble. And it would be good to eat something too I guess.

"I'll join you inside in a minute." I state, folding my arms behind my back, a small smile appearing on my face.

  She returns the smile. "Alrighty! Take your time. Just don't get lost!" Stella giggles.

  I chuckle. "It would be quite impossible to lose someone as striking as you." I say genuinely. The room of nobles look fine, I guess, but they were small stars, ones that could easily be masked by a thin layer of clouds. She, however, appears as the moon. Quiet, but quickly able to outshine everyone in the sky.

A slight blush appears on her face. "Aw... well, thank you." She thanks before stepping off the balcony and back inside. I pause for a minute, a smile on my face.

  Rain? Rain? Come in? My father's voice speaks from my ear. I jump a little, slightly startled.

  "I'm here. A fellow partygoer walked in." I explain. "... Before you continue... is there an End Noble by the name of Stella? I recognize it, but I don't recall it. Seems to be some sort of enchantress."

  There was a pause on the other end, before a few sounds of paper shuffle around.
  "Not a common name. Only one on record. Princess Stella. Adoptive daughter of King Lance, and heiress to the End throne." Father answers.

  "Says here she's one of the End's most notable witches from the Void Isles, alongside her father." Commander Hilda states.

  My eyes widen in a slight shock as I turn back to the glass door. That was the princess? I thought, clenching the rail tightly. She couldn't have been. She seemed so sweet, genuinely sweet. How could someone like that be the daughter of someone like him?
"Anything else?"

"That's all we have on her. Notably, Lance seems to attempt to keep her away from that environment the best he can." Hilda continues. "Understandable why he would." She states. I could almost hear the venom in her voice.

  "So... what should I take away from that?" I question, confused where she was getting at.

She sighs and sniffs, almost sounding like she's crying. "Never mind. The more information you have, the better." The Warden responds, keeping her voice level and harsh.

"Figures." I state. "I have to go, will contact. Over and out." I hang up my end.
I take in a deep breath of the cool night air, my hands clutching the metal rail tightly until my knuckles go white.
Get in there. Get in there before you're suspicious. I thought, looking up into the stars; I could feel tears fill my eyes. I squeeze them shut as a memory bubbles to the surface.

"Hey, I'll only be gone for a few weeks, no need to squeeze all the air out of me kiddo!" She laughs warmly, wrapping her arms around me.
"Be good to your father while I'm away, okay?"

"Of course." I answer. "See you in a few weeks!"

A few weeks... a few weeks. I thought again and again. Oh how wrong she'd be.
With a though in mind, I drop my hands from the rails and sharply make my way to the door, almost as if my body had moved before I could tell it.

Make her proud. Allow her the justice she deserves; allow her, and all our lost brothers and sisters, the ability to rest peacefully knowing the ruthless oppressor that ended them is suffering in Tartarus for his crimes.

And with that, I walk in to find the Princess as if nothing was wrong.

...
Meanwhile.

\\April 25th, 19:35\\
Frostbourne, Overworld.
Patrick

I slump back in my chair, my hand brushing through my hair. I could feel a migraine surfacing. As if she could read my mind, Hilda just looks up at me.
"He's going to be okay y'know."

"...What am I going to do with that kid." I answer frustratedly. "I mean... a dragon! I sent him on a simple scouting mission, and he comes home having slain three dragons—" I'm cut off by a sharp pain in my head. "He's too reckless for his own good, and it keeps putting him in trouble."

Hilda closes the file on the Void Princess and tosses it down on the table carelessly. She smiles bitter-sweetly. "Heh, he's becoming more and more like her every day..."

"I know..." I state. "And that's what worries me more and more everyday."
  I should be proud if Rain would be turning into someone like her—I'd be proud either way, he's my son—but her bravery and will to help others, it always scared me to say the least. I always had a fear that that same valor would lead to her demise, and that it did. I don't want my son to go out the same, gruesome way.

She elbows me. "Well, you can't keep him from this fight either. I would know..." Hilda lets out an exhaustive sigh. "I remember looking for anything to get her out of here. Airship, wagon, walking if she had to, but she refused to leave me here." She leans back in her chair, "Young people are stubborn, he's not going to want to leave you behind, no matter how dangerous it is."

"But he's still a kid. He shouldn't have this, he shouldn't have any of this. Lord knows the entire End wants his head on a stick for his stunt a few weeks ago!" I vent accidentally, "I just don't want that kid to get hurt, you know?"

"I understand, but you gotta realize, he stopped being a kid when everything came crashing down on him." The Warden states truthfully. "You've taught him to pick his battles. Best thing you can do now is keep a vulture's eye on him, and be there when he needs." I nod.

"Thank you for the advice..." I give my friend a short smile, "And my apologies for venting."

"You're fine! Anything for a friend, my man."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.7K 139 13
(Cover by @Breakdown345 and @griffin-titan) NOVEMBER 2023: #37 in rainimator Lance and the End Stone Crusaders found the Ender Watchers. But the news...
16.5K 311 200
I do not own any characters mentioned/featured in this book. They all belong to Rainimator Except Default. They don't belong to anyone they're just a...
17.1K 235 28
Darien has lived a pretty normal life but it didn't start off this way. He was a prince of a neighboring kingdom in hell and life was carefree until...
3.1K 545 59
After the death of her father, Jonna Bäck struggles with her older sister's down-spiraling mental health. But after a tragic event Jonna is forced to...