Escaping Death [Watty Awards]

By Dreaming_Love

When Gabriel Montehue comes back into Gwen Hampton's life, she doesn't know what to expect. A turn of events... More

Chapter 1-Encounter
Chapter 2-Gwen
Chapter 3-Gabriel
Chapter 4-Gwen
Chapter 5-Gabriel
Chapter 6-Gwen
Chapter 7-Gabriel
Chapter 8-Unexpected Surprise
Chapter 9-Gwen
Chapter 10-Gabriel
Chapter 11-Gwen
Chapter 12-Gabriel
Chapter 13-Gwen
Chaper 14-Gabriel
Chapter 15-Gwen
Chapter 16-Gabriel
Chapter 17-Gwen
Chapter 18-Memories
Chapter 19-Gwen
Chapter 20-Signs
Chapter 21-Truths
Chapter 22-Gabriel
Chapter 23-Gwen
Chapter 24-Gabriel's Story
Chapter 26-Accident
Chapter 27-Gwen
Chapter 28-Revelation
Chapter 29-Gwen
Chapter 30-Gabriel
Chapter 31-Gwen
Chapter 32-Gabriel
Chapter 33-Hope and faith
Chapter 34-Gabriel
Chapter 35-Gwen
Chapter 36-Gabriel
Chapter 37-Gwen
Chapter 38-Gabriel
Chapter 39-Training & Date
Chapter 40-Gwen
Chapter 41-Unlikely Visitor
Chapter 42-Winter to spring
Chapter 43-Parents
Chapter 44-Gabriel
Chapter 45-Gwen
Chapter 46-Gabriel
Chapter 47-Loving you
Chapter 48-Gwen
Chapter 49-Letting Go: Part 1
Chapter 49-Letting Go: Part 2
Epilogue
Acknowledgments & Announcements

Chapter 25-Gwen

5.6K 84 23
By Dreaming_Love

Hey guys! Well here is another chapter of Escaping Death. I'm sorry if its a bit long but it sets up the next chapter :) This is more of a filler but you do get to find out what Gwen has been thinking and more of the easy going relationship that Gabriel and Gwen have :) Oh! And I'd like to take a few moments to explain Gabriel's secret.  I don't want any confusion.

Okay..so Gabriel and Gwen are childhood friends and they are the same age.  Since Gabriel is a time traveler he came back from the future where he is 19.  He goes back to Gwen's present where she is 17 to prevent her death.  He's just older in the sense of his time.  For Gabriel, Gwen's present is his past.  For Gwen, Gabriel's present is her future.  Make sense? lol I hope it does.

Well without further delay.....

*drumroll*

Chapter 25-Gwen

It was late morning when I woke up in Gabriel’s arms.  The sun was shining brightly in through the cracks of the window blinds.  Quietly, without disturbing Gabriel from his sleep, I got up and headed down stairs.  I went in search of my phone and found it in my bag by the door.  I checked to see the time and it read 10:47.

Luckily there seemed to be no missed calls from mom.  I was grateful for that.  If mom got home and found me gone she would probably freak out.  To be safe I quickly sent a text that said:

Hey mom! :) Went 2 Gabe’s.  I’ll be home be4 dinner :)

I flipped close my Blackberry and locked it.  I waited for a few minutes, looking down at my phone for a reply back from mom but there was nothing.  I thought back to the night before and how she had gotten drunk at the office party.  She was probably still at Kendra’s house with a wicked case of a hangover.

I checked my phone to see if the volume was on Medium and when it was I slipped it into my front jeans pocket.  I started to head towards the kitchen because my stomach had begun to growl, signaling hunger.  On my way, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror that was in the hallway.  My image unsettled me.  There was something different in my appearance.  My hair was a mess and I ran a hand through it to smooth it out.  My light blue flower blouse was full of wrinkles and creases.  The difference wasn’t wholly set on my clothes but that of my eyes.  I looked older with the intensity that my eyes held. 

There was so much that I had discovered these past few days.  I didn’t realize that Gabriel’s secret had taken such a drastic effect on me.  I knew things that only people dream of in their life time.  If someone had asked me a year ago if I believed in magic I would have said, “No, there’s no such thing.”  Now?  I know better to believe otherwise.

Gabriel was a magical being.  He was a time traveler.  I’d seen firsthand the power that he possessed.  I’ve seen the beautiful white light that surrounds him.  The rose that was embedded with magic was also another fact that made me believe that it was real; that magic was real. 

I stepped away from the mirror and headed back towards the kitchen.  I took a seat in one the chairs from the dining table and held my head in my hands.

“He’s a time traveler.”  I breathed out.

I still couldn’t believe it but it made sense.  Gabriel didn’t look like any of the guys at school.  He was taller than most of them but that was genetics.  I remember that his father and mother were tall.  I barely remember his sister Jane but the few times that I’d seen her she had been the same height as Mrs. Montehue.  Gabriel was also more built than half the guys on the football team.  His physical fitness had come from his long extensive training over the years.  There was also the fact that his maturity level was beyond Kyle’s or Triston’s or anyone else for that matter.  I realized that his maturity came from his age.  Gabriel wasn’t a normal teenager.  He’s a nineteen year old who has trained for most of his teenage life while also killing demons and protecting the good of the world! Yeah, he wasn’t like most guys. 

Guys like Gabriel didn’t exist.  It was impossible and something that would be written in a book.  Yet, he was right here in my life.  I felt a pang of sadness settle on my mood.  Gabriel would be going soon.  He didn’t know when but he would be gone when he finished his mission here.  That’s the only reason he came back.  It was stupid of me to think that he had come back for me.  Stuff like that only happened in fairytales.  The guy would return after years of absence and then one day he’d return to sweep the girl off her feet and they’d live happily ever after.  All I’ve ever wanted was for my life to be like that; for Gabriel to return and that wish has been fulfilled.  But…he was going to leave eventually.  He couldn’t stay with me.  We wouldn’t get a happily ever after.

The other reason we couldn’t be together was because I would eventually die.  I was only mortal and we die once we come to old age or a fatal accident.  Gabriel would stay young and strong for centuries.  I’d be lucky if I lived for a century.  I clenched the spot where my heart is and felt like it was being torn out.  I took several deep breaths to calm my anxiety and tried not to think about ‘what ifs’.

It was then that realized our love couldn’t last.  We were two people who came from two different worlds.  I felt like I was being torn apart from the realization.  I silently sent a prayer to God to let me have more time with him.  I didn’t want to let him go…not yet.  It was too soon.

My phone beeped, an indication of a text message.  I reached into my pocket and flipped it open.  It was a message from my mom.

Ok, honey.  I want u home by 5.  I need u 2 do an errand 4 me :)   

I shook my head.  She definitely had a hangover and wanted me to probably go to the grocery store for painkillers or food.

I replied:

Ok, I’ll be home in a bit.

I shut my phone and left it on the table while I got up and walked to the fridge for a glass of orange juice.  When I finished pouring the juice into the glass, I heard footsteps on the stairs and a moment later Gabriel appeared. 

His hair was wet and stuck in small curling clumps on his forehead.  He was wearing a clean white t-shirt with stripped red and gray boxers.  He looked sexy and it took all of my self control not to rush over and attack him with kisses.  He looked better; healthier.  There was no sign of his sickness and his muscles weren’t convulsing in spasms.

I smiled at the normality of this moment.  Here was this guy who I loved and everything was as perfect as it could be.  Gabe had a boyish smile on his lips and I saw his eyes roam my body.  I suddenly felt very awkward that I had to turn away and pretend like I was looking out of the window.  I smoothed my hands over my hair and shirt but then I felt his strong arms wrap around my waist and his soft voice in my ear saying, “You look beautiful.  I thought you left when I found you gone when I awoke.”

“No. Just came to get something to drink.  You look better.”  I said and twisted around in his arms to see his face.

“I feel better.”  He said reassuringly.  “The worst of it is over now.”

I hugged him and pressed my body as close to his as I could.  I let his strong arms envelop me and I thought that this is what I should appreciate.  It didn’t matter how much time we had together all that matter was the here-and-now.  I would make the time I had with Gabe the best that it could be so that in the end I’d have no regrets about us.  There was a saying and it fit perfectly to what what I was feeling.  It was "carpe diem" which meant to seize the day.  That's what I needed to do.  Take each day one step at a time and live it to the fullest.

That embrace meant everything to me and from the looks of it, it made Gabe feel the same way.  That’s why I loved him so much.  He understood me inside and out.  He knew what I was thinking most of the time and he knew when something was wrong just by looking into my eyes.  We’ve had this kind of understanding between us since we were kids and here it was again.  Nothing could ever take this feeling away from me, not even him.  He tried by erasing my memory but the feeling was still there.  I remember saying that I felt like I knew him, which was true.  I did know him but I didn’t know him then when my memories were gone.  The feeling was there; it was always there.

“Want some breakfast?”  He said into my hair.  I felt his lips part when he spoke. 

“Yes please.”  I said and let him go.    

I watched as he moved towards the cabinets to take out the pots and pans.  He moved with elegance and grace, something that I never quite caught before now.  He then went to the fridge and took out some eggs, bacon, ham, and mayonnaise.  He turned on the flame from the stove and laid the pan on top of it, waiting for the heat to warm the pan.  He didn’t say a word to me while he cooked but instead he occasionally gave me one of his dazzling smiles.  The ones that curve at the corner of his mouth and his eyes glisten with satisfaction.  I’d just shake my head and smile back. 

He cooked effortlessly.  The way he cracked egg after egg was amazing.  Not even my mother cooked with such precision.  He added pieces of ham to the egg and watching made my stomach growl.  In another pan he had the bacon roasting and when it was done I saw the crispness of the pieces on the plate.  I got up from the chair and went over to sneak a piece but I was caught.

“Not another step,” Gabriel said.  He blocked my way and I pouted.  “Food is almost ready.  You’ll spoil your appetite.”

“Fine.”  I groaned.  “You sound like my mom.”

Gabriel chuckled.  “Well, your mom is right.  Be patient.”

I tried.  I really wanted a piece of bacon!  I just sat and watched as he made our sandwiches.  He stuffed the sandwich with the eggs and ham and bacon.  It looked really delicious and when he set the plate in front of me, I couldn’t wait any longer.  I took a bite of the sandwich and it was amazing.  The eggs held some sort of spice and the bacon was crisp and tasty.

“Woah. Hold your horses there.”  Gabriel laughed.

“Sorry.”  I said with my mouth full.  I swallowed then said, “This is just so good!  Where did you learn how to cook?”

“From my mom.  If my memory serves me right, I think that you loved my mom’s cooking every time you came over.”

I pondered that for a moment.  I distantly remember the smell of fresh bread being made and a woman’s soft brown hair unlike Gabriel’s dark brown hair.  She had light green eyes which made me realize that James’ side of the family held the stronger genetics.  James was Gabriel’s father and he had the same dark brown hair and bluish-green eyes.  It was Mr. Montehue’s side of the family that prevailed over Mary’s, Gabriel’s mother.  Mary was an extraordinary cook and I especially loved her pastries.  She made the best chocolate and peanut butter brownies.

“Yes I remember.”  I finally say.

We ate in silence.  I thought about all the times I’ve been over to this house.  I remember the days we spent playing hide-and-seek.  Gabriel could never find me because I’d go and hide upstairs in the attic.  I also remember going to the creek behind the house and spending countless of hours skipping rocks and talking about our day at school.  I thought of the day that Tyler Gregory broke my heart and Gabe was there to pick up the pieces.  I thought that that was the end of the world.  Thinking back on it I realize that it wasn’t.  Tyler was just another guy in my life that I’d thought I’d love.  I never loved Tyler.

Love was what I felt for Gabriel.  There were no words to describe the feeling.  I loved that I could be myself around him and that he understood me.  When two people feel like this, then that is a love that is inseparable and indescribable. 

I smiled and looked up to see Gabriel looking at me with adoring eyes.  “What?”

He shook his head and smiled.  “Nothing.  You just looked so deep in thought.  I was just wondering what you could possibly be thinking about.”

“Well that mister, you will never know.”  I said.

*****

We spent the rest of the day lounging around. 

Gabriel let me borrow a clean dark blue t-shirt and a pair of sweats so that I could take a shower.  It felt so good letting the warm water pour over my body.  I felt relax and the doubt I’d had earlier when I’d woken up, faded.  No matter how much time Gabriel and I had together, I made a vow that I would treasure all the moments from here on.  There was no point in dwelling about the future.  All that mattered was what was happing now in this moment.

I found Gabriel sitting in the living room with a book open in his lap.  It was barely two o’clock in the afternoon.  His brow was furrowed in concentration as he read and I wondered what he could possibly be reading.  He was so engrossed by the book that he didn’t even notice when I came into the room.  It was only until I sat down on the other side of the sofa that he looked up from the book.

He had a grin on his face and he looked me up and down before he said, “I should let you borrow my clothes more often if you look so good in them.”  He winked.

I blushed and then threw a pillow at him.  “Oh shut up.  You know flattery doesn’t suit you that well.”

“Oh, really.”  He placed a bookmark on the page and set the book down on the coffee table; the book forgotten now.  He cocked his left eyebrow and said, “Well, what if I said that you remind me of a brilliant star in the night sky.”  He inched closer to me with playfulness in his eyes.

“Nope.  Doesn’t.  Suit.  You.”  I laughed and cringed away.

“Oh, Gwen!  You have the most beautiful voice in the world.  Sing!  Make my heart fall in love.  Every man falls for you, make me one of them!”  He said in a British accent.

“Oh gosh.”  I laughed and stood up from the sofa.  “Get away from me.  You are being ridiculous!”

I ran upstairs and I heard him following me, calling out my name.  I couldn’t stop laughing.  I headed for the open door at the end of the hall and shut it behind me.  It took me a moment to realize that this was Gabriel’s bedroom.  I hid behind the door and waited for the sound of his footsteps and they came a moment later.  I could hear the sound of his laughter from the other side of the door.  It was carefree and infectious.  I couldn’t help but giggle at the sound of it. 

He burst into the room, the door hitting me and I let out a small laugh.  “I know you’re in here, Gwen.  I’m going to find you.”  He stepped into the room and then I leaped and jumped onto his back.

“Ha!  I win.”  I say.  I stifle my laughter and try for a more serious tone.  “Rule number one of survival.  Never ever turn your back on your enemy.”

“What’s rule number two?”

“Hmm…haven’t thought of that one.”

“Well, how about it’s that the winner gets a victory kiss?”  I jumped from his back and stood on my tippy toes in front of him.

“I think that is a suitable rule, Mr. Montehue.”

I closed my eyes and waited for the kiss but it never came.  Instead he swept me of my feet and into his arms.  He gently laid me on the bed and he followed after.  He looked at me with affectionate eyes and brushed my hair away from my face.  I mimicked his movements but instead traced the small scar on his left eyebrow.

We stayed like that until I had to go home.  We talked about the kind of things that he’d learn in his studies.  I would ask questions in between and I watched as he made his studies come alive.  The story of Persephone and Hades caught my attention and I listened intently.  It was about how the god of the underworld had taken the maiden away from her home.  Her mother Demeter was so distraught of her daughter’s kidnapping that she stopped taking care of the earth’s vegetation.  Hades makes a deal with Persephone that since she chose to eat six pomegranate seeds then she must spend six months of the year with him and the other six back on earth.  The story explains of how we get our seasons of spring and winter.  Spring is when Persephone is back on earth alongside her mother.  Demeter’s joy is shown by the blossoming of flowers and vegetation.  Winter is when Persephone is with Hades and the earth turns cold and withers because Demeter is miserable without her daughter.

The way he told the story made it come alive before my eyes.  I pictured Persephone down in the underworld falling in love with Hades.  She eventually did love him but she was also sad because she missed her mother and her life back on earth.  I also felt sad for Hades because he only wanted to be loved.  It was a tragic story.

That was all the time we had because the next thing I knew the clock on the nightstand read 4:23.  I had about half an hour to get home.  I quickly got out of Gabriel’s arms and ran to the laundry room.  I put my clothes into wash in the meantime and they were waiting for me in the dryer.

“Please be dry.  Please by dry.”

I opened the door and they were dry.  “Yes!”  I didn’t have time to go to the bathroom so I just changed in the laundry room.  In the back of my mind I prayed that Gabe wouldn’t walk in here and see me undressing.  Unfortunately, that didn’t happen.  He appeared while I was putting on my blouse. 

“Wow.  That was fast.”

His voice startled me and I jumped.  “Gees!  Don’t do that!  You always do that!” 

He chuckled.  “Well, I’m sorry that someone has hearing problems.”

I stuck out my tongue at him.

“Hey, I’ll drive you so you won’t be late.”

“No, it’s okay.  I brought my bike and I doubt it’ll fit in the back of your car.  It’s okay, Gabe.”  I grabbed his clothes from the floor and put them in the laundry basket.

I ran downstairs and grabbed my phone from the kitchen.  I needed to work out more because I was not physically fit.  I was already winded from running down the stairs.  Gabriel was waiting at the front door and he didn’t look the least tired.  I envied him for his physical fitness.

I grabbed my bag from the entry way and then saw that there was another bag of mine there.  “Oh, you left that in the car the night we got back from the camping trip.”  He said.  I was amazed at how quickly he caught the question in my eyes.  I grabbed both my bags and slung them over my shoulder.

I smiled and kissed him lightly on the lips.  “See you tomorrow?”

“Definitely.”  He replied.

I didn’t want to go so soon.  I wanted to spend the rest of the day with Gabe and I would if I could.  I leaned in for another quick kiss then stepped out into the porch and headed for my bike.  If I didn’t leave right that second then I never would have left.  My mom would have killed me if I stayed any longer than I was supposed to.  I couldn’t afford to be grounded and not see Gabriel for days and that is exactly what would happen if I was late.

“Gwen is that you?”  My mother’s voice called from the kitchen.

*****

“Yeah.”  I checked my phone to look at the time.  It was 5:03.  Damn.  Just three minutes late but I knew that this wasn’t sufficient reason for mom to ground me.  She was more rational and fair.

I peddled all the way home as fast as I could.  By the time that I arrived my thighs were sore from all the exercise.  I was out of breath but all that work made me come home at five.  I wasn’t a half hour, which I have to say was pretty impressive.  Determination went a long way. 

“Oh good you’re here!  I need you to drive to the grocery store to pick up some Tylenol.  There isn’t any more left and I have a pounding headache.”  She said in a rush.  She’s sitting on the kitchen counter with her head in her hands.  She looks horrible.  Her hair is a mess and there are dark circles under her eyes.  I’ve never seen mom drink excessively like I’m guessing she did last night.

“Okay.  Where are the keys?”  I ask.  I head for the key hook that’s outside of the kitchen in the middle of the living room and entry way.  I don’t see them anywhere.

“Mom?”

“Oh, yes.”  She startles to fumble in the pockets of her coat but comes up empty handed.  “I think they are upstairs in my purse.”

I sigh.  “Mom?  What time did you get back from the party?”

“Just a few hours ago.  Around 1 maybe.”  She sighed.  “I know what you’re thinking Gwen and I’m fine.  Just got a little out of control.”

I cross my arms over my chest and look at my mom.  She is anything but fine.  She has a major hangover and by the looks of it she hasn’t even showered yet.  When I get closer she smells of cigarette smoke and beer.  I pinch the bridge of my nose and say, “Go take a shower.  I’ll be back with the Tylenol in a half hour.”

She pats my shoulder and kisses my forehead.  “Thanks, sweetie.  I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

“Yeah, yeah.”  I smile and then run up the stairs to her bedroom.

Man, I really needed to start exercising.  I really was out of shape.  There was a slight burning in my thighs from my bike ride and running up stairs.  I’m going to ask Gabriel to go out for a run tomorrow, I thought.  I found mom’s red purse on her bed and immediately found the keys.  I took my time walking back down and grabbing my wool jacket from the coat room in the entry way.

“Bye mom!”  I called.  “I’ll be back in a bit!”

“Okay, sweetie.  Be careful out there.  It’s snowing again and the roads may be dangerous.”

“Okay and I will!”

The sun had begun to set behind the mountains and it was a beautiful sight to behold.  Closing the door behind me, I trudged down the path and into the warmth of the SUV.

************************************************************

So what do you think?

What will happen next?

Have any ideas? I'd love to hear them :)) I'm really excited for the next chapter!

Please comment, vote, and fan if you aren't one yet! :)) lol

<3 addy :))

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1 1 1
This is a story of a normal seventeen-year-old girl forced into a war between good and evil. At seven they separate her from her twin brother by a st...
75K 2.8K 31
On angel wings he hauls you into hell where his master waits. Can you escape their clutches? Or will you lose your soul to the flames? You're a norma...
65.4K 3.3K 15
The continuation of the Rhyn Trilogy saga. Death Finds Love. Recently appointed as Death, Gabriel’s life can’t get much worse. His underworld is in s...
1.6K 41 31
Angels and demons exist. Lucifer is still a good guy. And the lines between good and evil are not meant to cross. She's different. The color of her w...