Safe With Me ~ Fred Weasley

By mahduhlyn

"Your dad gave you this?" I nodded, still not looking at the necklace. "Your dad did that to your neck." He s... More

September First
Tommy
Kitchen Runs
The Weasley Twins
Confusion
The Boggart
The Welcome Back Party
Pranks
Hufflepuff vs Gryffindor
Like the Sun
The One Eyed Witch
Dementors
Black's Break in
Don't Ignore Me
Hufflepuff vs Ravenclaw
Dementor Lessons
Hogsmeade
Happy Christmas
Christmas Eve
Christmas
Bruises
Cordially Invited
Expecto Patronum
I Got You Hurt
Slytherin vs Ravenclaw
The Astronomy Tower
Gryffindor vs Ravenclaw
Birthday Gifts
A Happy Memory
Birthday Party
Thirty Feet Up
Exams
Lupin's Resignation
The Burrow
Missing
Summer
Shopping Spree
Admit It
Lake Day
Hide and Seek
Charlie
Under the Stars
Happy Birthday
DeGnoming
Perfect
The Cemetery
Mr. Olsen
Harry's Arrival
The Portkey
The World Cup
The End of Summer
Back To Hogwarts
Unforgivable Curses
The Tri-Wizard Tournament
The Goblet of Fire
The First Task
The Yule Ball
Rejection
The Ball
The First Happy Christmas
The Second Task
Jealousy, Jealousy
Orchideous
Mrs. Weasley
The Last Will & Testament
He Was Happy
Back Home
Percy
Losing a Brother
12 Grimmauld Place
The Order
Prefects
Umbridge
Detention
Dumbeldore's Army
Banned
Christmas at Grimmauld Place
Educational Decree #26
Acedemic Achievement
Caught
Departure
OWLs
The Inquisitorial Squad
Level 9: Department of Mysteries
Black Sheep
Weasley Wizard Wheezes
I Want You
September
Slytherin
Invisible
Christmas at the Burrow
Nott
The Phoenix Lament
Seventeen
Saintlike
The Wedding
The Ministry Has Fallen
The Carrows
Crucio
Selwyn
Potterwatch
A Small Christmas
The Room of Requirement
Disappearing Act
The Battle
Fireworks

Give Her Hell From Us, Peeves

6.2K 208 94
By mahduhlyn

Fred

It was almost unbelievable that only 9 hours ago I had woken up, admittedly burning hot under four blankets, but with the small girl curled up beside me, long strawberry hair draped over my chest. Almost more unbelievable was the fact that I wouldn't get to see her again until practically July.

"I still think you should just tell me what this prank-to-end-all-pranks is!" She hissed from behind me, letting me pull her through the hallway towards the spot I had specifically picked out for her to watch the events unfold.

"And ruin the surprise? How lame are you?" I shot her a wink as we reached the bench overlooking the corridor George and I had selected, far enough away from Umbridge's office that it would give Harry the most time to get in and out without getting caught.

"You're doing it up here?" She asked, taking a seat on the bench, bright blue eyes looking up at me.

"No." I shook my head with a laugh. "You think I would put you right into the line of fire?" She gave me a look before I continued. "Don't answer that."

"And why am I wearing rain boots?"

"All part of the fun, now shut it. I'm trying to say goodbye."

"I know. Contrary to popular belief, I don't actually want you to do that." She teased, offering me a smile that didn't reach her eyes.

"Too late to go back now, Cassy, you were the one begging me to leave yesterday-" I grinned, feeling the all too familiar pull in my chest. She swatted near my face to shut me up before I bent down to her. "I'm going to miss you."

"You'd better." She spoke, her voice quiet and her eyes growing misty.

"I love you." I could see George in the corridor below leaning against the stone wall. "Be careful, no more detentions, don't study too hard, I expect some T results in the mail this summer."

"You be careful. Stay safe." She jumped up from the bench, throwing her arms around my neck. I pulled her in, easily, feeling the warmth from her fingers lining my skin, breathing in the scent of her hair, committing it to memory. She leaned back slightly, as if to end the hug, before I grabbed each side of her face, pulling it closer to mine, our lips colliding at once.

"I have to go." I whispered finally, running my thumb softly over her cheek, "Harry's got some important plan, we're kind of the main attraction." I tried for a smile, pushing her to the railing overlooking the stairways below.

George nodded at the two of us, sending Cass a small wave which she returned, leaning her head against my shoulder for a second and letting me press a kiss to her forehead.

"I love you, Cassy." I said softly, squeezing her shoulder and taking a step backwards towards the stairs.

"I love you more." She said through tight lips, her eyes not leaving mine as she returned to her spot on the bench. I took the steps two at a time, turning the corner and spotting George again before turning back to her.

"Good luck on your OWLs." I called back with a grin. "And stay dry!"

"Stay dry-?" I heard her mumble, mostly to herself as I joined my brother near the statue of Gregory the Smarmy, checking my watch.

"Ready Fred?"

"Ready, George." I nodded, noting his raised eyebrows before he nodded, pointing his wand near the center of the corridor and with a bang, the large red tent appeared before us, expanding as it filled with mucky water and then exploding greenish, sludgy water: the very first Portable Swamp.

"Oh, Merlin-" George chuckled as we jumped backwards out of the way of the rapidly spreading water. Tropical trees and logs appeared every few feet as the swamp grew in size, moss forming along the surface, the depths turning from green to dark brown. George and I stepped up a few steps to watch our work unfold. Water gurgled down the hallway before spilling over the edges, screams echoing up from the floor below.

"Huh..." I muttered, watching the now waterfall of water and moss flow steadily down.

"Yeah, I thought-" George too looked thoughtful.

"Thought it would contain itself, right?" I agreed with a laugh.

"Well, I honestly think this might be better." George clapped his hands together, grinning at me.

"What did Angie say?" I asked, forcing myself not to look at Cassidy as hundreds of students came pouring towards the hallway.

"Where are we putting it? So she knew to be far away." He laughed, both of us registering the familiar and expected screech of our High Inquisitor, pushing her way through groups of both dry and mucky students.

"Weasley's!" She roared, her eyes flickering between the two of us and the swampy waters which drew closer to her shoes with every second.

"Professor." I nodded towards her, feeling the grin pull at my face.

"Headmaster, Freddie." George corrected with a matching look.

"Both of you, get rid of this abomination, this instant." She called over the corridor, every students face now painted white, fearful looks in their eyes.

"Sorry Headmaster," George began, "I wouldn't even know where to begin. Fred?"

"Not a clue." I agreed, the swamp water still free-flowing over the balcony.

"You two think it's amusing to turn a school corridor into a swamp, do you?" She hissed, the students around her backing away from her slightly.

"Pretty amusing, yeah." I tried to contain my laughter, soaking in every moment, every emotion that was flickering across her face.

"I've got the form, Headmistress!" The crotchety voice I recognized at once rang out among the students before Filch appeared at Umbridge's side. "And I've got the whips waiting... Oh, let me do it now..."

"Very good, Argus." She huffed, plastering a fake smile on her face as she looked back to us. "You two are about to learn what happens to wrong doers in my school."

"You know what?" I paused, watching everyone's face fall in confusion. Some of the older students beginning to grin. "I don't think we are. George, I think we've outgrown full time education."

"Yeah, I've been feeling that way myself." George replied, seeming comically at ease.

"Time to test our talents in the real world, d'you reckon?"

"Definitely."

From the corner of my eye, I watched Umbridge surveying the swamp before her, wand held out as she attempted to return the hallway to normal to get to us.

"Accio Brooms!" George's voice mirrored mine, our voices echoing along the staircases for only a second before an explosive crash took over. Students ducked just in time as our long lost broomsticks returned to our sides, George's still trailing it's silver chain.

"Won't be seeing you." I grinned, nodding to Umbridge and Filch, who's eyes were both wide in terror. I swung my leg over my broom and pushed off the ground hard, soaring a few feet into the air and surveying our swamp one last time, the water below looking darker than I could have ever expected.

"Don't bother to keep in touch!" George laughed.

The two of us now towered over students and staff alike, most of their faces lit up with glee.

"Keep an eye out for our shop, Weasleys' Wizarding Wheezes!" I called down.

"Special discounts to Hogwarts students who swear they're going to use our products to get rid of this old bat!" George continued, gesturing towards Umbrdige.

"STOP THEM!" Her voice bellowed, the closest students to her covering their ears in shock.

I laughed freely, wanting so badly to be out in the fresh air, flying once again. Wanting so badly for her to be with me. I glanced back quickly, watching her from the landing, shaking her head with a small smile, hands tucked into her sweater.

"I love you," I mouthed as George shot her a wink and a grin, the two of us shooting towards the exit before noticing the glistening poltergeist who had hardly moved during the past few minutes. "Give her hell from us, Peeves."

The small spirit wore a thin smile and sprang instantly to a salute which was met with a roar of applause, students below now racing along with us towards the entrance hall. The doors burst open as we approached, students and staff pouring out onto the grounds as George and I flew higher and higher into the air, the sun beginning to set before us on Hogsmeade's rooftops.

Cassidy

"Honestly, if McGonagall doesn't ease up on all of this work, I'm going to be the next one soaring out of this castle on a bloody broom." Hannah muttered, scribbling some nearly unintelligible words on her paper which was due in less than an hour.

It had been two days since the twins had left, and despite the dull ache in my chest before bed every night, or when I had gotten a poor on my last potions assignment, when all I wanted to do was see Fred's smile, it sometimes felt as if they were still here. No one had spoken of anything else the past 48 hours. Everything was about their final prank. The story had been retold so many different times and ways that even students who had seen it happen were beginning to doubt their memory.

I wasn't sure whether all of the talk of the twins was hurting or helping me get out of bed each morning, yet here I was all the same. Poking at my toast and eggs and slightly regretting not going with them.

"Hannah," Maddie breathed, shooting her a look.

"Oh, sorry." Hannah looked between the three of us, obviously waiting for my reaction. I offered her a small smile and took a bite of my toast.

"S'fine, Hannah. I'd pay to see you on a broom, Umbridge losing her mind again." I joked, the blonde girl relaxing and returning to her work once again as the familiar rustling appeared over our heads.

"Post!" Maddie nudged me excitedly and I shot her half a glare. I was aching to hear from Fred, or George, or Molly, or anyone. But she knew as well as I did that Fred would not be sitting down to write letters coming off the high from the prank of the century.

"Watch out!" A third year shouted from farther down the table. One of the owls had dropped so low that his wings were nearly knocking into the table settings, half of the students backing away while the rest held their hands out, expecting the bird to crash.

"It's-" I stopped, noting the trajectory of the old owl and pressing against the table, my arms held out for only a second before the brown bird collapsed, a crumpled parchment knotted to his leg. "Errol."

"Helga in Heaven," Bri sighed, falling back to her spot at the table and watching as Errol climbed back to his feet for a rest, as if falling from the ceiling into a crowd of students was simply an everyday occurrence.

"I told you!" Maddie squealed, tapping my hands excitedly, as if that would make it any easier for my to open the letter.

"Knock it off!" I laughed, turning out of her reach and unrolling the parchment, my heart definitely no longer beating.

Cassy,

Made it home. Obviously. Somehow, Mum didn't believe that Hogwarts had closed early this year. She's furious. Howler to follow. (Kidding.)

Haven't told her about the shop yet... Thought we might let her calm down a bit first. Going looking for a place tomorrow. Not sure how long we'll be welcome here once she finds out our plan.

I miss you like crazy. I woke up yesterday confused why I wasn't burning hot in some Hufflepuff dormitory. Whenever you're ready to quit school too, I'll be at the front door to bring you home.

Mum says to tell you, Harry, Hermione and Ron good luck on OWLs and to keep studying, but that goes against everything I believe in, so I'll pass.

I love you, Cassidy. Write soon.

Fred

I had made it through all of my morning classes before getting the chance to visit the owlery. I had quickly scrawled out a response during History of Magic, apparently also ignoring Molly's advice to keep studying, or paying attention in class for that matter.

Fred,

We probably should have worked out your excuse for Molly before you left! 'Graduated Early' sounds better than 'Flooded School, Flew Away Fast.'

I wish I was with you looking for places for the shop. Hannah's stress is adding onto mine exponentially. Don't tell Molly. We're all doing fine.

Find the perfect spot, I mean it. I want to be impressed. Don't settle. And it has to be big. You're going to need the space! I can send you my vault key, you can have whatever you need. I want to be able to help at least a little!

I miss you too. It's been harder than I expected. Everyone won't shut up about the two of you, you're like Hogwarts legend now. I watched Flitwick jump nearly half his height in the air cheering for you two on your way out.

The swamp is still here, much to my surprise. Umbridge and Filch are at it every day trying to clear it out. They ordered all of the professors to help them, but they all claim they've never seen such 'brilliant magic,' and that they don't know how to help.

I love you, Fred. Please stay safe. I hate not knowing what's going on out there, and the Prophet is no help, of course. Tell George I say hi, and tell him I miss him, your parents too. Write me with any news, good or bad. But don't send Errol, I'm sending a school owl back home with him. Errol really is looking exhausted, I don't think he can handle many long trips like this...

Love you always,

Cass

It had been over a week now with no news from Fred. And that was fine. That didn't mean anything bad. He was busy. Opening a store, finding a place for themselves, not to mention the Hell Molly was surely giving the two of them still.

No, no news was good news. If anything had happened, I would know. Arthur and Molly would have sent news. It would be in the papers. Even if the Prophet was reporting rubbish, a death in one of the last remaining Pureblood families would be top news.

"Cassidy," Bri hissed, kicking into my shin and pulling me back into reality just as McGonagall was nearing our desk.

"Miss Olsen, your opera glasses have feathers. I'm not quite sure that would be uncomfortable to wear." She offered me a stern glance and I felt my face flush. I needed to pay attention, especially in Transfiguration. Especially this close to OWLs.

I watched as the glasses sprang back into the tawny owl who shot me a reproachful look, ruffling it's feathers dramatically.

I twirled my wand through the air two more times, the owl shrinking once again to a less feathery version of the glasses I had seen before. This time, the lenses of the glasses were tinted yellow, just as the owls eyes had been. I peeked towards Bri, who's progress was infinitely better than my own. In fact, if she had handed me those in any other setting I would have been sure they were real.

The tables filed out one by one as McGonagall checked everyone's progress, shouting orders of homework assignments down the hallway as my friends and I packed our things.

"He'll write." Bri said softly, holding the door open for the three of us. "You have to focus on school. I know you miss him."

"It's fine." I shrugged, tugging on the straps of my bag. "I'm just shit at Transfiguration."

"You can say that again." She teased, throwing an arm around my shoulder as we caught up with Hannah and Maddie at the common room doorway. The doorway had barely shut when I saw it. The same little owl I had sent to escort Errol the past week, looking slightly chunkier and with a cheerful glow in his eyes.

"How did he get in here?" Hannah wondered aloud, patting the small owl's head and passing me the letter from his leg.

"Umbridge." Maddie rolled her eyes, pointing out the bright red lettering stamped on the front.

Processed and Cleared by the Headmaster.

"She's insane." I muttered, feeling nervous. Was she checking outgoing mail too? Surely Fred knew that. He wouldn't put anything in here...

"Well, we know it's nothing interesting if she cleared it." Bri joked, opening her homework on the couch as Maddie collapsed beside her. I sat on the arm of their sofa, unrolling the parchment in one tug.

Cassidy,

Found the perfect spot. I mean it. You'll be impressed. And we're not taking any of your money, we've got it all handled. Should be ours by next week! Can't wait. I haven't been this excited since the World Cup.

I've never seen the house this clean, must be all Mum has to do is clean! It doesn't matter what we do, we can't keep it messy!

Miss you much.

Fred

P.S. Mum is making lemon bars. I know you love those.

I stared at his signature for a few more seconds before reading the letter again. It wasn't... bad... It just... wasn't much of anything. Especially after waiting so long to hear from him.

"What's wrong?" Maddie called, crawling over from her spot and craning to look at the sloppy hand writing. "That's short."

"Yeah... He must be busy." I felt my teeth clenched together, suddenly feeling slightly sick to my stomach.

"This isn't right. He didn't even say love." She grabbed the paper roughly from my hands, scanning through it, her eyes sliding from side to side.

"I had noticed that." I replied under my breath.

"Cassidy, he's still in love with you, so don't start freaking out." Bri warned, hardly raising her eyes from her books.

"I didn't say anything!" I said.

"What does he mean about the lemon bars? How weird. Like, if she's making lemon bars, send some to us." Maddie complained, sinking back into the couch, thrusting the letter back into my hands.

"I don't even know what he means. I've never had lemon bars at the Weasley's."

No one spoke again for a few moments, the only sound between us was the crinkling of paper and the scratch of Bri's quill before she stopped, silence ringing out around us.

"Lemon bars?" She reached for the letter. "Let me see."

I handed over the letter, wanting nothing more at this point than to leave it with them and fall into bed for the rest of the night.

"He underlined it. Just lemon." She looked up with an odd smile, setting the letter on the coffee table before us.

"Yeah, he's weird." I agreed, falling into the couch and leaning my head against Maddie's shoulder.

"One second." She stood abruptly and raced through the exit before any of us could bat an eye.

"She's next for a Draught of Peace." Maddie whispered, as if the dark haired girl was still in the room.

"Very funny, Maddie." Hannah held her middle finger out across the table from her arm chair.

It couldn't have been two minutes before Bri was back, holding a small yellow object in her fist.

"Fred any good at potions?" She asked, sitting back in front of the letter and starting to peel what had turned out to be a lemon.

I shot her a sarcastic glare. "The class? No. But you've seen what they can make."

"Exactly." She leaned over the table, dropping a few pieces of the lemon peel to the side before squeezing the fruit over the letter. The second the juice hit the parchment, a slight glow emerged, surrounding the paper as Bri squeezed a few more drop out. The letters began to muddle together and bounce across the page, re-arranging themselves, new words appearing out of no where. "It's the ink. Brilliant."

I snatched the letter back from her, not bothering to use my words.

Cassy,

If you're reading this, 100 points to Hufflepuff! Hope it got passed old toad face. Mum and Dad said I couldn't send you anything else until George and I came up with this. Even mum looked impressed. We made her a few bottles of the ink.

Dad let us join the order. Mum was still opposed, but we're of age and out of school now, so Dad says it's our choice. It's brilliant, Cass. So many great wizards joining together. Kingsley is amazing, and Moody of course. They almost make me wish I had stayed in school to become an Auror. (Not quite though.) Plus Dumbledore's around nearly every other day in some capacity. Usually just patronus messages, but it's still cool.

I can't say much. The ink isn't foolproof I suppose...

I can't wait for you to be home. I'm serious, the place is awesome, you're going to love it.

I love you, Cassidy.

Stay safe, beautiful.

Fred

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.3K 203 26
Stick anyone with the last name Weasley underneath the Sorting Hat, and without a doubt it'll shout "Gryffindor!" Unless said Weasley was Elizabeth W...
55.3K 821 35
You're a Gryffindor in your sixth(or fifth. Whatever year they're in in goblet of fire) year with Fred and George Weasley. You'd been best friends si...
555K 6.7K 68
Draco Malfoy love story. Friendship, smut, love, hate, trauma, broken hearts. MATURE CONTENT! 15+ ~ "You make me feel like I'm stuck, Emelia! Like I'...
159K 3.4K 60
Avalon Malfoy. You were the first person to ever make me feel something. I was afraid, confused on how a little girl could make me feel emotions when...