The Whispers of Shadows - Azr...

By smplymxlfoy

Locked in darkness for centuries. Aurora had always been afraid of the dark, but when it became her home for... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
ANNOUNCEMENT

37

4.1K 111 15
By smplymxlfoy

Rhysand's room was the first to be stopped at. He gave everyone a look before closing the door. Mor walked herself to her room, which was next to Rhysand's. Cassian was two doors down from her, and then Adaine stopped at another door just across the hall.

"Here is your room for tonight," she bowed before beginning down the corridor. Aurora opened her mouth to ask if there was another room for herself, but Azriel looped a hand around her waist and leaned down.

"They believe we are happily mates, we can't act like we hate each other."

Aurora sighed, pushing open the door and walking in without him. It was beautiful, she couldn't deny it. A massive four poster bed was against the wall near them, grey and silver sheets spread across it. A garment bag was laid on top of the sheets. A large window ran along the next wall, allowing sunlight to fill the room. The wall on either side of the window was entirely book shelves and a long bench ran below it. The next wall had a desk with a lamp and a wooden door that led to a bathing chamber. Aurora set for that immediately. She closed the door behind her, sighing loudly as her back hit it.

Now she had to share a room with Azriel, thé mate she was afraid to accept and all of those feelings were still rushing through her body. Would she even be able to sleep tonight? Biting her lip, Aurora dropped her coat to the floor, kicked her boots off, and turned the hot water on. She reached behind herself to undo her dress, but Azriel knocked on the door.

"Yes?" She asked, hands pausing as she turned. The door opened slowly, and Azriel slipped in, his shirt vanished and trousers undone.

"I'd like to bathe as well," he murmured. Aurora looked down at the tub. It was large, but was it enough space?

"Could you use Cassian's?" She asked as her arms fell to her sides. Azriel looked over her as he closed the door softly.

"He's using it right now," he answered. Aurora felt her stomach twist at the thought of being nude around him. Madja is the only other person to see her scars, how would he react? How would she react to being so close to him while nude? Was this a ruse to let the emotions of the bond win? Why was she not opposed?

"You can bathe with me, just wait until I say it's alright to look," she said softly. Azriel swallowed harshly, turning and facing the door. Her fingers trembled as she returned them to the laced strands of fabric, tugging on them. The dress hung loose and then fell to the floor in a pool of fabric. Cold air burned her hot skin. Aurora watched Azriel's wings as she leaned down and tugged off her stockings and socks.

She kept an eye towards him as she poured the pine scented soap into the water. When the suds rose and was enough of a coverage, she stepped in. Goosebumps rose on her skin at the sudden heat. Aurora sat along the far edge of the tub, using her hands to collect a hill of bubbles along her chest until they grazed her chin.

"Alright," she hummed. Azriel turned slowly, and when his hands went to his trousers, she turned her eyes to the window that was to her left. The water sloshed and she felt the level rise, and then his legs slid on either side of hers. Aurora gasped at the contact, her eyes flashing to his. Azriel's head was hung low, his eyes peeking at her through the lashes. She didn't see his shadows, but she felt them. Aurora felt the chill along her neck and face, the whisper of promises. She swallowed and reached out of the tub to the small table that ran along it to grab a small washcloth.

"Can you hand me one?" Azriel asked softly. Aurora hummed as she grabbed a second one and reached out to him. His arm didn't meet hers, and with a sigh, she leaned forward to hand it to him. Azriel's eyes narrowed on her shoulder. "Is that from him?"

Aurora looked down to see the end of the scar on her shoulder, the part that stretched over and down her arm. She slunk back in the water. "It is."

Azriel didn't respond, just continued to stare at the area her shoulder sat beneath the suds. Aurora let out a low shaking breath and began to run the cloth along her skin. Azriel copied her motions. They sat in silence, only the sound of water sloshing was heard. Aurora slid further down into the tub, eyes closing as she cleaned her skin. The stench of burning flesh still ate at her, no matter how clean she was.

"Aurora," Azriel murmured. Her eyes opened and she met his gaze. With his wings, he looked stuffed into the tub compared to her.

"Yes?" She mumbled. He leaned forward, motioning to the space between his knees.

"Come here. I'll help you." Her breath lodged in her throat as she blinked at him. Sit between his legs? When they were both on edge? He flicked his eyes down and back up her to, reiterating his words. Her stomach felt hollow as she turned in the bath and settled between his thighs. Azriel ran his hand down her arm slowly, then grabbed the wash cloth. It flattened against his palm and he began running it along her back and shoulders.

"Why?" Aurora asked, straightening when he dropped the wash cloth and took her hair into his hands. He began to twist it and lift it in a knot at the back of her head. Few strands fell around her face.

"I know what was running through your mind, I've killed before, too. Sometimes I wish I had someone there after I do it, someone to wash away the feeling it leaves behind," Azriel murmured as he ran the cloth down her back. Aurora gasped lightly when she felt his lips on her shoulder, on the scar. "So beautiful," he whispered so low, she almost didn't hear him. Something about the feeling of his lips made her muscles relax. Aurora laid back, her head rested on his chest that was exposed above the water. Azriel dropped the handful of her hair over his shoulder. Both hands slid beneath the surface, one hand with the cloth on the scarred thigh, his free hand on her 'less scarred' thigh.

"Az," Aurora hummed, feeling his hand rise to her lower stomach. He seemed to use that hand to hold her against him while he ran the cloth along her skin.

"Yes?"

She didn't know what to say or why she had even said his name. He didn't seem to mind, his fingers splayed across her navel as the cloth went to her hips. It wasn't erotic, but the way it felt to be bare and against him felt just as powerful as how she felt in the throne room. Aurora wasn't sure how that was true, but she'd felt nothing better than being held by him.

A knock sounded at the bedroom door, a very faint voice calling out, "Twenty minutes!" Aurora sighed, beginning to sit up, but Azriel's hand pulled her back against him.

"We're going to be late," she complained, turning her head to look up at him.

"I want to savor this feeling, your body against mine," Azriel whispered, his head tilted back and eyes closed. Aurora grinned slightly as a blush settled on her cheek. She wanted that, too.

"I was thinking... We are in the Winter Court as mates in love, right? Could we lay together tonight? Pretend when we are alone just as we do in their eyes?"

Azriel's lips twitched up, his hand on her stomach tensing slightly. "I'd love nothing more," he responded. Aurora felt the heat in her face as she tugged out of his arms.

"I should go get dressed. Please, wait until the door closes before you open your eyes." Azriel hummed in acknowledgement and Aurora rose from the tub. She grabbed a towel and dried herself, then wrapped it around her body. She collected her clothing from the floor and went to the door. Her eyes shamelessly fell back to Azriel as she opened it. His wings looked tucked into the tub, his body hardly visible behind them. Aurora let out a slow breath before closing it.

She dropped the towel and tugged on the stockings and socks, and then went to the garment bag on the bed. She pulled it open and brought out the gown, laying it over the bed. It was stunning, something more magnificent than she'd ever worn. It was the same pine green that was scattered throughout the palace, threads of gold running through the skirt. It had long sleeves, but the neckline was much deeper than she'd ever worn. Aurora grabbed the dress and pulled it over her head. It had a corset back, something she'd not be able to lace on her own.

Thankfully, the door to the bathing room opened and Azriel emerged. He had his trousers on now, and he stopped when he saw her.

"Can you help me tie my dress?" She asked, turning her back to him. Azriel cleared his throat as he grew closer. His fingers trembled slightly as he began to tighten the dress, and then tied it at the base. He didn't step back when Aurora turned to look at him.

"You look stunning," he hummed, his hand rising to her cheek. Aurora blushed as she involuntarily leaned into his touch.

"We should probably go," she interrupted the moment. Azriel nodded as he dropped his hand and stepped back. Aurora still felt the flush on her skin as she grabbed her boots and sat on the edge of the bed to pull them on. When she was finished, Aurora stood and smoothed out the skirt of the dress. Azriel was now in his black clothes, he was tucking a dagger into the sheath on his thigh.

"Are you ready?" She asked, nearing him. Azriel looked her over again, his throat bobbing as he nodded. They both went to the door, but before they went into the hallway, Aurora reached over and slid her hand into his. Azriel responded by squeezing her hand lightly. Cassian was standing outside of Mor's room, arms crossed.

"She takes years! She was already dressed, how does it take this long?" He complained, glaring st the door. Azriel placed a hand on his shoulder.

"She's Mor, she will always have more primping to do, according to her," Az grinned. Cassian rolled his eyes, and then the door opened. Mor stepped out, a tight fitted red dress replaced her other one. Aurora watched Azriel's face tighten and his eyes widen slightly as he looked her over. Had he once been with Mor, too?

"Ready?" Mor asked with a grin, looping her arm with Cass's. He grumbled and they all began down to Rhysand's door. He already was walking out when they reached him.

"Alright everyone, let's go eat," he spoke in a feigned excited voice. Aurora grinned as they followed him.

"Do you want to to stay with Mor tonight? Will it be too difficult to room with Azriel?" Rhys's voice filled her mind. Aurora's eyes went down to her hand in Azriel's.

"No. We talked about it, it will be fine." Aurora lifted her eyes to Rhys as they reached the stairs. He looked over his shoulder with a raised brow but left it at that. They descended to the entrance, then Mor and Cassian took the lead as Mor directed them to the dining room. The walk was longer than Aurora had thought, but when they reached it, her breath left her lungs.

It was a stunning display, a long table that looked to be a tree trunk split down the middle, a variety of red berries, pine branches, and white flowers decorated the table. Steaming plates of food sat in front of each chair. Kallias and Viviane were sat at the far end.

"Come, join us."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

84.1K 3K 25
Auroria of House Vanserra has much more in common with Azriel, the Spymaster of the Night Court, than she could have thought - than either of them wo...
3.2K 211 7
"𝐏𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐲 𝐈 𝐰𝐚𝐧𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮, 𝐈 𝐧𝐞𝐞𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮, 𝐨𝐡 𝐆𝐨𝐝, 𝐃𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐞, 𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐬𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐚𝐮𝐭𝐢𝐟𝐮𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 �...
48.3K 1.3K 16
*******SPOILERS****** Takes place after ACOWAR The war with Hybern has ended and the world of Prythian has finally calmed and found peace. The Night...
74.1K 3.7K 96
While there has been some form of peace in Prythian for several years, an unexplainable darkness has begun to find its way over the Fae lands, with a...