The Whispers of Shadows - Azr...

By smplymxlfoy

Locked in darkness for centuries. Aurora had always been afraid of the dark, but when it became her home for... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
ANNOUNCEMENT

31

4.4K 139 21
By smplymxlfoy

Aurora had stayed in her room all evening, just as Rhysand told her. That's because by the time she finished the second bottle, she was out cold on the bench below her window. She had drank it quickly, chasing the dream of oblivion that Nesta had whispered about. It was there as she stared out into the sunset, but it was gone just as quick.

Aurora woke up curled into a ball against the window. Madja had entered her room to check on the scars after hearing of her training with Azriel.

"Ah, discovered the essence of wine?" Madja grinned as she tapped on Aurora's head. Aurora groaned in protest, moving to turn in what she thought was her bed, but missed the bench completely and toppled onto the floor.

"Madja!" She complained, sitting up slowly. The old fae laughed gently, holding a hand out to her.

"I did nothing but wake you up, dear. Come, let me see those wounds." Aurora accepted her hand and stood, tugging the sweater off and shimmying out of the leggings. Madja ran her warm fingers over the scars and hummed to herself. She motioned for Aurora to turn and she did.

"Your ribs are bruised back here. Avoid falling to the ground when you train, if you choose to continue. Your leg as well, make sure your opponent avoids those spots and all should be well," Madja spoke, straightening. Aurora turned and grabbed her sweater to pull back on.

"Is there a way to make the scars fade?" Aurora asked softly. Madja gave her a sad look.

"I can create a paste to encourage it, but for the deeper wounds, such as your leg, shoulder, and back, those will not fade. The bite marks may, though some are too deep, I'm afraid. Azriel has asked me the same, but I have not discovered a magic that can cure the evidence of the past," Madja explained, running a knuckle on Aurora's cheek. "The emotional scars, you can make those fade. They will always be apart of you, but hide them away from your everyday life. I can see you've already begun trying that." She motioned to the empty wine bottle on the floor. Aurora blushed.

"Is covering it with intoxication the only way? I've seen how they all drink, breakfast, lunch, and dinner," Aurora asked. Madja shrugged.

"Your friends find their own ways to heal. Substance can hide it for a short time, but allowing yourself the bliss of happiness can ensure it stays away. Nesta, for example, used to hide away and drink until she forgot her own name. She'd sleep with strangers and push away the rest of this family that stood as reminders that she would never be like them. Nesta fought for her survival; she trained, found love, found friends. She may not be completely happy, but she has healed an incredible amount. Learn from her," Madja smiled again before turning and leaving Aurora in her thoughts. 

Aurora already knew Nesta's story. It had been described by Nesta and many others. Aurora didn't think she'd find love, not in this house, not if she wanted to keep the rest of them as friends. Elain has shown her enough of that. She could grow closer to those she has yet to enjoy the company of, she could attempt friendship with Cassian or Nesta, or even Elain. Mor and Feyre were wonderful friends, they truly cared for her, but seemed busy compared to Aurora.

With a sigh, she grabbed her leggings and tugged them back on. Her stomach growled and the thought of food was nearly enough to drive her mad. Aurora trudged down the stairs and to the dining room. Shocked to see everyone, she pulled out a chair and sat beside Mor.

"Heard you got into the wine last night. How are you feeling?" Mor whispered, nudging Aurora.

"Very hungry," Aurora responded, piling toast and sausage onto her plate. Feyre sat a mug of coffee in front of her and Aurora shot her a grateful smile as she sipped it. Amren was sat at the table, making Aurora nervous. She had yet to truly meet the intimidating female, and having her stare across the table was not the best way to start the day.

Shivering under the cold stare of Amren, Aurora turned her gaze to Azriel. She wished she hadn't. He was sat beside Elain, her cheeks red while his arm rested over the back of her chair. Aurora flicked her eyes down to her plate. Food was much more interesting than the rising jealousy the bond made her feel.

"Aurora, will you be training with Az today?" Nesta asked, leaning forward and resting her chin on the back of her hand. Aurora looked up at her as she cleared her throat. What was she getting at?

"I planned to train alone, if anyone wants to join me," Aurora muttered, flashing a glare at Nesta, who was grinning back at her.

"I can join you, I planned to train today anyway," Azriel spoke up. Aurora nodded but didn't meet his gaze. She ate silently, feeling the warm hand of Mor rest on her back. The group began to break one by one as everyone finished their meals. Aurora stood and started for her room, but Amren's voice stopped her.

"Aurora, a word?" She turned to see the female motioning for her to come to her as she stood in the doorway to the dining room.

"Yes?" Aurora asked as she approached her.

"The wine, it feels good for a little while, doesn't it? Don't use that to feed into your trauma. Nesta did that, and she became nothing. Focus on your training. Being more powerful is more enticing than being stupid, isn't it?" Amren's words shocked Aurora, it made her straighten.

"Where is this coming from?" Aurora asked, crossing her arms. Aurora felt Nesta's eyes on them as they spoke.

"I heard from Rhysand that you spent time with Nesta yesterday and when you left your room, you were drunk and searching for more. I know you've had a lot of tough situations lately and if she's encouraging you to drink to escape the feelings that come with those situations, you're making a mistake." Aurora scoffed, beginning to turn away from Amren.

"You're not going to tell me if I can drink or not. I see you having wine pretty often, are you escaping something, too?" Aurora asked, raising a brow before turning away and heading to the stairs. She may have been held in captivity for five centuries, but she did not need to be treated like a child by everyone around her. Scolding her for drinking wine, telling her to stay in her bedroom when she drinks that wine; Aurora was fed up. She bathed and dressed in a pair of the leggings and the sleeveless top that Aurora learned had belonged to Nesta. After tying up her boots, she marched down to the training ring.

Azriel was already there, stretching and wrapping his hands. Aurora silently went to the shed and grabbed the wrap to do her own. When she finished, she went to the center of the ring to start stretching. Azriel glanced at her through the corner of his eye.

"So, you were drunk last night?" He asked as he stood and put his arms behind his back to stretch the muscles.

"Yes," Aurora responded shortly, not ready to listen to another scolding. When he didn't say anything else, Aurora finished her stretches and stood, ensuring her wraps were secure. Azriel got into position, his dark hair falling over his forehead. Aurora ignored the way she remembered it felt between her fingers, clenching her jaw and matching his stance.

"Begin," Azriel ordered. Aurora didn't prance around him this time, she charged. Her fist went into his stomach, her foot locking with his ankle. He bent forward and she slammed her elbow into the back of his neck. Azriel hit the ground with a grunt. "Still pissed off, then?" He muttered as he climbed to his feet.

"Madja said not to touch my back or thigh, the bones are still sensitive," Aurora murmured, returning to her stance. Azriel launched toward her, throwing his fist toward her jaw, but she blocked it. Aurora snarled and slammed her fist into his stomach again.

"What did she say about your pretty face?" Azriel asked as he shoved her backward by the shoulder. Aurora gritted her teeth, whipping her foot out and kicking the side of his knee. Azriel yelped, shoving her back again.

"No fire!" He snapped. Aurora looked down to see she had in fact burned the leg of his pants.

"Sorry," she muttered, getting back into position. They did this for a while; shoving, punching, kicking. Eventually, Aurora was fucking furious. He'd been taunting her, laughing when she'd hit the ground and using his shadows to distract her and run against her skin when she'd go for a punch. She had 'accidentally' used her fire against him quite a few times now.

"Come on, Aurora, you can't be tired already," Azriel teased, circling her. Aurora kept her front to him, her eyes falling to the dagger on his thigh. A hint of a grin was etched on her lips as she dove for him. Azriel dodged her, but Aurora guessed that he would. On her way past, she gripped his arm and twisted it, making Azriel turn slightly. She took that chance to kick the back of his leg, his knee hitting the ground. She twisted his arm again and kicked the other. A rope of fire formed out of the air and went around his neck, making Azriel grunt.

Aurora dropped his arm and circled him, unsheathing the dagger and dropping to a knee in front of him. She ran the tip of the blade along his cheek as he strained against the flame that licked his throat.

"What's wrong? Not happy I'm using my magic on you? Tell your shadows to stop distracting me," Aurora snapped. Azriel smiled at her as he lifted his chin to avoid the flame. She watched sweat bead on his face.

"I think I like when you're dominant. Can we do this more often?" Azriel asked lowly, a gleam in his eye that made Aurora's throat tighten.

"What about Gwyn? Or Elain? I saw the way she blushed when your arm was around her this morning. Don't speak to me like that if you're still entertaining them," Aurora growled, the tip of the blade now pressing beneath his chin.

"Lucien's dead, so Elain pursued me. Rhysand has no problem now that her mate is no longer a threat. Gwyn found out about you and I, she wants nothing to do with me, why do you think I'm training here and not at the House?" he responded, raising a brow. Aurora grimaced.

"It's not right; going after so many females. Mor told me you'd practically been alone for centuries, so why are you sleeping around now?" She asked, a disgusted look on her face. Azriel shrugged and Aurora felt his skin press against the blade as he dipped his chin.

"Exactly that. I've been alone for so long, I've watched Cassian have his share of partners. He's had several at a time, in the same bed even. We used to be animals, all three of us. In our younger years, we'd fuck in the same room just to see who does it better. Things happened, I focused more on my duties, but now they both have a mate and are in love. I have a mate who wants to slaughter me, and two beautiful females who'd love a chance with me. What would you do if you were me?" Azriel explained, raising a brow. Aurora scoffed, willing the fiery rope to vanish and trailed the blade down his throat before dropping it into his lap.

"I'm not you. I would probably focus on training, focus on my own needs entirely. You are playing with the hearts of two females. I'd never do that." Azriel sheathed his dagger and stood, towering over Aurora. Her eyes unwillingly flicked to his lips, but quickly settled into a glare at his eyes.

"Right, you won't even entertain your own mate. Because you're afraid of males, right? Think about that, Aurora. You're afraid of males, I am an Illyrian warrior male and you just brought me to my knees while hardly trying. I'd fall to my knees for you any day, but I didn't expect that. You took me down with your own strength even while injured. You don't need to be afraid of males," Azriel explained. Aurora blinked up at him, breathing growing heavy as she thought of his words.

She had taken him down multiple times today and yesterday. Aurora assumed he wasn't using all of his knowledge or strength, but if she was quick enough to surprise him without weapons, she didn't need to fear males as much as she did. The past was because she didn't know her strength or power, but now she could utilize it when she needed to.

Aurora fell back a step, furrowed brows and her eyes falling to the ground as she shoved past Azriel and began unwrapping her hands. She was lost in thought as she made her way back to the house, leaving him standing alone in the center of the ring.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

100K 3.4K 49
The magic of Prythian is fading, and with it everything that Zaria loves. As daughter of Tamlin, High Lord of the Spring Court, her father's reputati...
82.2K 3.1K 74
Feyre Archeron and her best friend had been close since they were young. They trusted each other and were there for each other in times of need. But...
160K 1.2K 41
A group of fic's detailing some of the more major scenes of A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas from the point of view of Rhysand, as he dea...
46.1K 1.9K 62
Broken down by a war too young, Azriel was sure he'd always find himself alone and surrounded by his deepest fears. Desperate to find his purpose and...