The Whispers of Shadows - Azr...

By smplymxlfoy

Locked in darkness for centuries. Aurora had always been afraid of the dark, but when it became her home for... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
ANNOUNCEMENT

25

4.7K 113 0
By smplymxlfoy

As Aurora was dragged from within the mountain, her body hung in Tamlin's grip. Lucien walked silently behind them, watching the female that was limp in Tamlin's arm. He held her like a rolled up rug, tucked under one arm. Aurora's breathing was shallow, all magic and strength torn from her. Faebane ran through her blood, the same blood that continued to pour from her shoulder and thigh. She didn't know how long they had been walking, her eyes could hardly stay open. She had fought the entire way through the Hewn City and the cavern system, but by the time they had gotten outside, her body was nothing more than bone and skin.

"Will we camp soon?" Lucien asked, coming up beside Tamlin. Aurora lifted her head as much as she could, hooded eyes looking at the brother that could've been. He didn't spare her a glance- no, Lucien looked as if he forced himself to keep his eyes on Tamlin.

"We will in the next hour. I needed us to get further from the mountain. I'm sure that the winged bastard is conscious and running to find Rhysand," Tamlin responded, voice gruff. Aurora's head hung again. She blinked slowly as she watched Tamlin's boots crunch the forest floor. It would be a beautiful night, given the circumstances. The forest was silent and lit by starlight. The sounds of the river trickling not far was heard.

"We cannot light a fire, but we will need shelter to camouflage from eyes," Lucien continued. His voice sounded weak, and Aurora remembered when that same voice told her what would happen when Tamlin caught her, what he wanted as well. A tear fell from her eye. She didn't know they were even pooling until she watched it hit the ground with blurred vision.

"We will figure it out when I decide we stop," Tamlin snapped. His arm tightened on Aurora and she wheezed. The toes of her boots had to have been sanded down by now, the way her feet drug against the forest floor. Lucien remained quiet as they continued through the trees. When Tamlin decided it was time to camp, the sun was beginning to rise. He dropped Aurora to the ground, and a strained shout left her lips as the arrows dig deeper through her body at the pressure. She rolled onto her back.

"Leave her. Help me make cover," Tamlin ordered, and Lucien hurried from beside her to the trees. Aurora just laid there as she listened to the sound of branches snapping and pine needles running across the ground. Her eyes were set on the stars above the trees, something in her wishing she could stretch out to them. The view didn't last long as bark from a tree was placed above her, resting on logs that Tamlin had shoved into the ground. Pine needles fell through onto her face as Lucien spread them across the top to imitate the ground.

"That'll be fine for now. Rest, we will begin moving again soon," Tamlin ordered, and Aurora turned her head to see Lucien sat leaning against a tree stump, crossing his arms as he watched her. Tamlin laid on the ground nearest her, and Aurora fought the urge to vomit again. She needed to get these arrows out and create some type of tourniquet. She needed to get away. She rolled onto her side, thankful that the arrows were both on one side of her body so that she could lay facing Tamlin. She wanted to watch him throughout the stop, ensure he made no move near her. Not that she could do anything about it, her body was far too weak to even stand.

Her eyes stayed peeled, glancing between Lucien and Tamlin. They burned with exhaustion, but she couldn't sleep, not around them. Lucien had fallen asleep quickly, his head turning and leaning toward his shoulder. Tamlin's breath hadn't changed since he had laid down. His face wasn't in her view, but she knew his breaths had not slowed or deepened. With the one arm that wasn't as in quite as much pain as the one with an arrow, Aurora lifted herself to her elbow. Her head rushed with blood and she grew dizzy, but she lifted it to see Tamlin staring at her. Her breath hitched, and body tensed. A smile grew on his face. He was laying on his back, both arms bent beneath his head, which was turned towards her.

"Can't sleep, little warrior?" He asked, leaning on his own elbow. Aurora shoved her hand against the ground, pushing herself back from him. As soon as she got the arrows out, her blood would begin clearing of the Faebane. Her back hit a tree, and Aurora groaned in pain but used the leverage to sit up completely. Tamlin just watched her as she gripped the arrow in her thigh. Her breath was trembling and skin already burning up at the pain. With a deep breath, Aurora yanked the arrow out. A agonizing scream ripped through her, and Tamlin sat up. Strands of her hair fell in front of her face as she glared up at him. Every inch of her body felt as if it were on fire. She grabbed the second arrow, tearing it from her flesh.

"Shut the fuck up," Tamlin snapped when she cried out through gritted teeth. Aurora leaned back, panting and trying to get focus on rage rather than pain. When Tamlin stood, panic ensued. Aurora tucked one of the bloodied arrows into the leather strap on her thigh, and used her back on the tree trunk to stand. She could only put weight on one leg, but she needed to show him she wasn't weak. Her grip tightened on the second arrow in hand. Aurora wished she had gone to training with Cassian during her time at the estate, anything could've helped her in this moment. Now, it was pure survival instinct. Tamlin rushed towards her and Aurora met him in the middle.

She rose the arrow up and slammed it down onto his forearm. The crunch of bone and spraying of blood twisted her gut. Aurora felt Tamlin's claws on her back before they dug into the skin. She screamed, arching back. Lucien was on his feet now, racing across the small gap to help Tamlin. His claws dug further, and Aurora felt the white hot pain shooting through her body. Her vision nearly went black, but she grabbed the second arrow and blindly swung. It came in sickening contact with something.

"Fuck!" Lucien shouted, and Aurora was thrown to the ground. Her body curled as pain completely covered her. Hoping to see what damaged she caused, Aurora blinked through the tears in her eyes, moving her head against the rough ground. Lucien was against the tree stump again, the arrow through his chest. Tamlin was moving towards him.

It had to be adrenaline, nothing else could explain how Aurora made it to her feet again. She limped as she hurried to the two males. Tamlin was about to tear the arrow from Lucien's chest, but Aurora grabbed onto the arrow in his forearm and tore it out as she fell back against a tree. Her chest burned with each breath, and she knew the blood continued to pour from her body. She needed to act fast. Tamlin growled, launching toward her. Aurora yelped, thrusting the arrow forward as she pushed off the tree.

The next scream that sounded in the forest came from Tamlin. She swore the ground shook when his body came in contact with hers. He hit the ground and her wide eyes fell to him. The arrow was in his stomach. Blood rushed from his body as he clutched his stomach and glared up at her. With a whimper, Aurora took her chance. The wounds in her thigh and back didn't allow her to run fast, but she ran. Sunlight fell on her skin as she pushed through the forest, back toward the mountain. She could hardly see it now.

"Help!" She screamed, hoping that someone was nearby. Her voice was hoarse and broken. She searched the skies as she ran, but there was no trace of anyone flying overhead. Aurora heard a grunt, and she looked behind her to see Tamlin with the arrow in his hand, grinning at her. Had the Faebane been used up on her? She pushed harder, nearly tripping over the leg that refused to work. "Please!" Aurora tried to shout, but her voice cut off with an inhalation of spiced air that burned her lungs. Everything burned.

She felt her legs begin to slow, and her vision began to spot. Anxiety and fear rammed into her stomach when she looked over her shoulder and saw Tamlin running after her. Her hair had fallen from the bun it had been placed in and it covered her arms and face as she ran. Whimpers began falling with every exhale, tears cutting through the dried blood on her face. Please, please, why isn't anyone coming?

The world suddenly began to spin, and the ground grew closer. Aurora shouted when she hit the ground, chanting her pleas as she clawed at the dirt to move away from the approaching Tamlin. He had slowed to a walk, boots crushing the pine needles and dead branches.

"That was a great try, honestly. Too bad your mate wasn't here to save you," he tsked, crouching down as he reached her side. Aurora couldn't breathe, her nails began to snap and bleed as she dug them into the earth to drag herself away. A strained cry left her throat when Tamlin fisted her hair, lifting her head up to face him. Blood coated his green tunic, and he had a wicked smile on his tan face. "Goodnight, little warrior."

He slammed Aurora's head into the ground, and a flash of pain shot through her before the world went black.

—————————————————————————

Aurora's head was pounding. Her entire body ached and she was so cold. Was she trembling? Why was her skin wet? She couldn't move. Voices sounded like hums in the back of her mind. Every time Aurora breathed in, it felt as if fire was lit in her chest and throat. She peeled her eyes open, blinking rapidly to focus her vision. The drowned voices began to clear.

"Eris has promised coverage. There's no need to enter the Summer Court."

Aurora blinked more, eyes adjusting to see stone above her. Firelight flickered against it, shadows dancing. Her neck stiff, Aurora strained her head to the side. Tamlin and Lucien were sat in front of a fire. Lucien noticed her first, but didn't indicate that she was awake. It was when her breath stung her throat and she coughed that Tamlin looked over to her.

"Oh, you're awake. We reach my Court tomorrow, you missed most of the trip," he grinned at her. Aurora felt nauseous. Entering the Spring Court tomorrow? That means they were in the Summer or Autumn Court now. Judging on the first clear words she heard, she guessed they were in the Autumn Court.

"How long has it been?" She whispered, throat raw and sore.

"Five days. We've rested only when needed," Tamlin responded. Her stomach lurched. She had been unconscious around these males for five days? Why had they not winnowed?

"Why walk so far?" She asked, trying to move her body but it ached far too much.

"That sweet little act you pulled back in the Night Court took most of our abilities," Tamlin responded in a low voice. She swallowed and turned her gaze back to the ceiling. So the arrows had still contained Faebane. Wouldn't five days be enough time to rid the system of the toxin? Or had it been worse since it entered their bloodstreams directly rather than ingesting it?

Aurora watched the shadow of one of the males rise and then grow larger, and then Lucien was standing over her. In his hand was a flask, and he crouched beside her.

"Drink," he ordered. Aurora clamped her mouth shut, not knowing what the flask contained. Lucien gripped her jaw, a groan of pain leaving Aurora. Her entire body was in so much pain that even a touch ached. He pulled her mouth open and poured the liquid in. Aurora tried to cough, do anything to rid her mouth of the liquid, but Lucien then closed her jaw and held her mouth shut. Aurora swallowed, cringing at the sensation of her sore throat. The liquid tasted like water, and she hoped to the Mother that that's all it was.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48.3K 1.3K 16
*******SPOILERS****** Takes place after ACOWAR The war with Hybern has ended and the world of Prythian has finally calmed and found peace. The Night...
82.2K 3.1K 74
Feyre Archeron and her best friend had been close since they were young. They trusted each other and were there for each other in times of need. But...
186K 5.2K 84
*seize the night* Like father, like son people say. Especially when Nyx, the son of a certain High Lord, suddenly lays eyes on a mortal girl. The you...
11.3K 265 17
ᴛʜɪꜱ ɪꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴏɴᴛɪɴᴜᴀᴛɪᴏɴ ᴏꜰ ʟɪɴᴇᴛᴛᴀ ᴀɴᴅ ɴʏx'ꜱ ꜱᴛᴏʀʏ, ᴀ ꜰᴀɴ ꜰɪᴄᴛɪᴏɴ ʙᴀꜱᴇᴅ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ ᴏꜰ 'ᴀ ᴄᴏᴜʀᴛ ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴏʀɴꜱ ᴀɴᴅ ʀᴏꜱᴇꜱ'. 🌹 Status: Completed !Sweari...