Inner Peace - LOK fanfic

By BookLover905

. Some friendships are so strong They can even... More

Prologue
Inner Peace
Elira
Trailer
Welcome to Republic City Pt.1
Welcome To Republic City Pt.2
A Leaf In The Wind Pt.1
A Leaf In The Wind P.t 2
The Revelation Pt. 1
The Revelation Pt. 2
A Voice In The Night
The Spirit of Competition
And The Winner Is...
The Aftermath Pt. 1
The Aftermath Pt.2
When Extremes meet
Out Of The Past
Turning the Tides
Skeletons in the Closet
Endgame! Part 1
Endgame! Part 2
Rebel Spirit pt. 1
Rebel Spirit pt.2
The Southern Lights
Civil Wars Pt 1
Civil Wars Pt 2
Peacekeepers
The Sting
The Guide
A New Spiritual Age
Night Of A Thousand Stars Pt 1
Night Of A Thousand Stars pt. 2
Harmonic Convergence
Darkness Falls
Light in the Dark
A Breath of Fresh Air
Rebirth Pt.1
Rebirth Pt. 2
The Earth Queen
In Harms Way Pt.1
In Harms Way Pt. 2
The Metal Clan
Old Wounds
The Terror Within Pt. 1
The Terror Within Pt. 2
The Stakeout
Long Live The Queen

Republic City Hustle

512 20 4
By BookLover905

It was a bright early morning, and El was in the gardens training with Opal again while Pichi was snoozing not far from them. 

"Stay light on your feet", El instructed as the girls circled each other, streams of air following their movements. "Flow, like the wind...That's it."

The girls continued circling each other for a few more minutes before coming to a stop, bowing to each other. 

"You're good for someone who just started a few days ago." El complimented as the two sat down beside where Pichi was still happily sleeping. 

"Thanks, that means a lot coming from you" Opal smiled before reaching down to scratch Pichi behind her chipped ear. The lemur purred contently in her sleep. "Say, can I ask you something? How did Pichi get that chip on her ear? Was she born with it?" 

Elira smiled slightly, looking down at her pet."No, she got into a fight with another animal. Kind of a long story." 

Opal looked intrigued, which made El chuckle a little. 

"I was 14, and a few days after I'd first found Pichi", She began to explain, "I'd returned home to the city and was eager to introduce her to the boys..."

*

It was a beautiful but relatively normal day in Republic City. An old woman exited a store, her arms filled with grocery bags which she was struggling to carry, unaware that she was being watched. From around the corner, Mako, looking to be about 15 years old, began following behind her, eyeing the blue purse hanging from her arm.

Glancing over into a side alley, Mako nodded to his younger brother, hidden in the shadows. Bolin winked back at him, getting ready to spring into action. Neither was aware of a certain little airbender watching them from atop one of the buildings with an amused smile.

The old woman kept walking when Mako suddenly charged past her, grabbing her purse as he did so.

"Hey, come back here!" She yelled as she dropped all her groceries.

Bolin quickly ran up to her. "Don't worry. I'll catch him."

Bolin chased after Mako, following him into another side alley and out of sight of the old woman.

"Give it back, you dirty thief", He demanded before earthbending the ground so a decent-sized rock shot up.

"Hey! I stole that fair and square," Mako shot back, tossing Bolin the purse while the younger brother tried not to laugh.

Bolin then earthbent a boulder from the wall and threw it towards Mako, who sent it flying out the alley with a flaming kick.

"Ow! Stop it!" Mako cried, pretending to be hit.

Bolin grinned and kicked a box out of the alley as Mako pretended to groan in pain again.

"Okay, you win!"

With the purse in hand, Bolin "limped" out of the alley panting and back to the old woman who smiled at him.

"Your purse, ma'am", He gasped, pretending to be hurt

"Aren't you a little hero? Here..." The old woman took her purse back and dropped a couple of coins into Bolin's hands. "Let me give you a reward."

Bolin stared at the money in disbelief.

"Two Yuan's, seriously! I risked my life for you!" He huffed before quickly backtracking. "As far as you know."

The old woman didn't seem to be budging, so thinking fast, Bolin grabbed a loaf of bread from her shopping bags.

"Why, you little hooligan!" The old woman yelled as he took off with it.

Bolin ran back into one of the side alleys where Mako was waiting for him.

"Nice grab, little brother" He grinned.

"Thanks" Bolin split the bread, tossing Mako his half and began eating his own "Mmm, bro, it tastes so much better than what we ate yesterday."

"We didn't eat yesterday", Mako pointed out.

"You what?" The boys jumped and looked up, seeing Elira sitting on the roof's edge, watching them. 

"El, you're back!" Bolin grinned

"Yeah, I'm back" She shrugged. "But before I left yesterday, I remember asking you dunderheads if you had food, and you said you were fine."

"Mako's idea!" Bolin pointed at his brother, who glared at him. "What?"

El pushed herself off the ledge and used her bending to soften her landing. She stood back up, looking rather annoyed.

"Why didn't you two tell me? I could've brought you something from home," She said

"We can get by on our own, El. We can't keep relying on your charity--Woah!" Mako's feet were suddenly swept out from under him by a gust of wind. 

"Hey!" He looked up at Elira, scowling at him.

"It's not charity, dummy. It's called helping a friend," She scolded. "Next time you two don't have enough food, you tell me so I can bring you something, promise?"

"Yes, ma'am", Bolin saluted, kicking his brother slightly when he remained silent.

"Yeah, whatever", Mako huffed and got to his feet. "You know, for an airbender, you can be pretty violent at times."

El just stuck her tongue out, smirking.

"So what was the air temple like, El?" Bolin asked

"You didn't get into any trouble, did you?" Mako crossed his arms 

"No! Actually, this time, trouble kinda found me" The airbender giggled before turning around 

The brothers looked at each other, confused, as their friend gave a sharp whistle, looking up at the rooftop she had just come from. 

Following her gaze, the boys saw a small large-eared creature appear and perch itself on the edge of the rooftop, just as El had been. 

"Pichi! Come here, girl!" Elira called, waving down the animal 

The creature gave a chitter and leapt off the edge, flying down until she landed on El's shoulder, nuzzling her affectionately. 

"What is that?" Mako questioned, staring at Pichi 

"This is Pichi, my flying lemur" El grinned as Pichi climbed onto her head, her tail hanging in front of her face "Boys, Pichi. Pichi, boys" 

Pichi just chittered again, not paying attention.

"Wait, I thought you said you wanted a bison?" Bolin asked 

"I did; none of the bison calves took to me, though," El said, quickly grabbing her pet as she jumped off her head, trying to swipe Mako's bread. "I was planning on waiting until the next group of calves are born. But when we returned home this morning, I was helping unload Oogie and found her stowed away in one of the food bags." 

"How did your dad react?" Bolin smiled as Pichi jumped out of El's arms and onto his head, chittering. 

"A little annoyed, especially since she keeps trying to steal our food during meals. But she'll grow out of it, I'm sure," El explained. 

"Well, I hope you're right", Mako grumbled, holding his half of bread out of reach of Pichi, who was trying to swipe it again from atop Bolin's head. Bolin and El just snickered. 

*

"Aw, so she chose you in a way. That's adorable", Opal smiled. "Then what happened?" 

Pichi had now stirred slightly, waking from her nap with a small chitter. 

"Well, the boys needed to go talk to this gang called the Triple Threats," El said 

"They were in a gang?" Opal gasped 

"It was the only way they could get food without my help", El defended. "Of course, I didn't agree with it, but I understood why and sometimes would help them with their jobs. For instance, this time, they needed to collect bets for an upcoming pro-bending match..." 

*

El, Mako, and Bolin were all standing outside a pet shop called "Mr Fang's Pet Emporium."  and Pichi was resting on Elira's shoulder. 

"Mr Fang! Hey, you wanna bet on the fight tonight?" Bolin called into the shop

The kids jumped when a loud crash came from inside, along with Mr Fang shouting. 

"Get back here, you little rat weasel!" 

Suddenly an adorable little creature came scampering out of the shop, squeaking in fright. Elira smiled as it ran over to them and climbed up Bolin's leg, settling on his head. Pichi chittered curiously at the creature, both of them leaning over to sniff one another. 

"Ah, thanks for grabbing him, Bolin" Mr Fang came out of the shop and seized the adorable critter by his bushy tail, making El and Bolin frown. "He's been trying to escape ever since he figured out I'm gonna feed him to the new Python- Anaconda I just got in" 

"What? You're gonna turn him into a snake snack?" Elira gasped, looking at the poor ferret 

"Wait! I'll buy him. How much?" Bolin asked 

"...Five Yuans", Mr Fang said, and the ferret squeaked happily. 

Elira and Bolin turned to Mako with matching grins. 

"No", Mako held up his hand. "The last thing we need is one more mouth to feed." 

"But it's such a tiny mouth. Please, we can't just leave him for snake food," Bolin begged. 

"Bolin, you have to toughen up", Mako scolded his brother. "Big animals eat the little animals. That's just how it goes." 

"Wait, how about I buy him, then?" El suggested and began digging through her pockets for any pocket money she had left over.

"El, you've got Pichi now. And do I need to remind you how much trouble you got in last time you decided to bring home an animal?" Mako said 

"But he was hurt and needed a home. Plus, he was cute. Just like this little guy," El smiled, scratching under the fire ferret's chin, making him squeak happily. 

"It was a Hog Monkey", Mako sighed and shook his head. "How much do you want to put on the match tonight, Mr Fang?" 

Mr Fang put a few Yuan notes in Mako's hand. Bolin was smiling as he and El continued petting the fire ferret, who was loving the attention. But the duo frowned sadly as Mr Fang pulled the critter out of their reach. 

El placed a comforting hand on her best friend's shoulder before something in the corner of her eye caught her attention. A couple of kids were surrounding an old man wanting autographs. 

"Hey, Bo. Is that..." 

Bolin grinned and started running over. "Hey! Toza!" 

El smiled and hurried after him. Leaving Mako with Mr Fang. Toza seemed to recognise the two as they ran up to him, smiling. 

"Hey, you're one of them, airbender kids, aren't you?" He pointed at Elira's airbender robes. "And you," He pointed at Bolin ", You're that kid that works with the Triple Threats. What? Does Shady Shin want me to belly-flop into the pool so I'm extra humiliated tonight?" 

Bolin looked down in shame, scratching the back of his head. "I just wanted to say you don't have to throw the fight. I mean, you're the best." 

Toza sighed. "I was the best. But now my body and my bank account are exactly the same. Broke" 

The kids frowned sadly at the old man. 

"I made my decision. Now leave me alone!" He snapped and walked away, grabbing his bag. 

The duo watched him go, not seeing Mako come up behind them. 

"What are you doing? Are you two trying to get us in trouble with Shady Shin?" 

"No, I just...Maybe I'm not as mean as you," Bolin snapped. "Maybe I can't just turn my back on people when they're down!" 

Bolin stormed off, and Mako sighed as El ran after him. 

She placed a hand on his shoulder, making him stop and turn to her. 

"I can't just turn my back on people in need, El." He huffed, and Pichi jumped from Elira's shoulder to Bolin's head, chittering comfortingly. 

"I know. That's one of the reasons why I like you.", Elira nudged the earth bender's shoulder, making him smile. "And we are not leaving that poor fire ferret to be eaten." 

Bolin's smile turned to a look of determination."What's the plan?" 

*

"You brought home a Hog Monkey?" Opal laughed 

"He was hurt. I couldn't just leave him" El shrugged. "Sure, he may have destroyed my bedroom a bit, and Mom and Dad got pretty annoyed with me. But it was for a good cause." 

"So, what happened with Pabu?" Opal asked 

"Well, obviously, we weren't just gonna leave him there" Elira smiled as Pichi crawled into her lap with a small chitter. "So that night, we planned to rescue him..." 

*

Elira and Bolin were peaking around an alleyway corner, watching as Mr Fang closed up shop for the night. Pichi was perched on Elira's head, peeking over her. 

"Okay, you get the fire ferret while I keep watch. Then I'll take him back home and hide him in my room." El whispered 

"Okay, good plan", Bolin nodded."And if your dad finds out, he can't be that mad. You were saving a life. And how much trouble could one cute little fire ferret be?" 

Turning back to the pet shop, the duo watched as Mr Fang locked the shop door and walked away whistling to himself. 

"Go, go, go", Elira hissed, waving for Bolin to follow once Mr Fang was out of sight. Pichi flew just above them. 

Reaching the front door, Bolin used his bending to raise three small collums from the ground, busting the door open before he dove inside. Elira and Pichi waited by the door, keeping an eye out for Mr Fang, while Bolin hurried over to a cage in the far back of the store. 

"Little fire ferret", Bolin called quietly, and the adorable creature perked up with a squeak in his cage.

"Helloo" Bolin unlocked the cage and reached his hand in for the critter. The fire ferret squeaked and jumped onto his hand, small enough to fit in his palm. "I gotcha, buddy." 

The fire ferret squeaked and climbed up Bolin's arm to his shoulder, licking his cheek. 

"Have you got him?" El called over her shoulder 

"I got him. Looks like that snake wasn't hungry after all" Bolin smiled and turned around, the fire ferret on his shoulder. 

Pichi was perched on Elira's head when she suddenly shrieked as the Python-Aconda shot out of its cage hissing and wrapped itself around Bolin! 

"Bo!" 

"Can't...breathe."  

El grabbed the snake's tail and yanked it away from Bolin, who collapsed, gasping for air. Elira was quickly by his side. 

The snake landed on the floor and advanced on them, hissing, ready for another attack. Pichi launched herself from El's shoulder, screeching, and tackled the Python-Aconda away from the teens. The snake hissed at the lemur who was standing protectively in front of Elira and Bolin. Pichi hissed back, the fire ferret joining her side with a mighty squeak of his own. 

Hissing, the snake charged for another attack. Pichi jumped out of the way, snagging the serpent by its tail and pulling it away before it could harm her owner and her friend, who was still a little dizzy from lack of oxygen. 

The snake whirled around and slashed its claw at Pichi, clipping her on the ear and making her sceach in pain and fall into a pile of boxes.

"Pichi!" Elira cried and sent a gust of wind at the serpent who was advancing on her pet. 

The snake landed on the floor by its cage and reared its head up, hissing. But before it could attempt to attack again, someone grabbed it by its tail, yanking it up and shoved it back into its cage, where it banged against the bars trying to get out. 

"Mako!" El sighed in relief 

"You two really have a knack for getting into stupid situations; you know that", Mako scowled at the two as Bolin finally got to his feet. 

"Yeah, thanks, Mako", Bolin gasped. 

"Is Pichi okay?" Mako asked as El picked up her lemur, inspecting the damage the snake's claw did to her ear.

"She'll be okay. But it looks like it's gonna scar." El frowned as she ripped a piece of her poncho to wrap around Pichi's wound. The lemur only chittered and licked her cheek. 

"Come on. We should get out of here," Mako said 

"No. Not without him" Bolin grabbed the fire ferret, holding him up to his brother. 

The ferret and Bolin looked at Mako with sad, pleading eyes until the firebender finally sighed. 

"Alright. But his food comes out of your half," He declared 

"Hooray!" Bolin and El cheered, Pichi chittering happily as the ferret jumped onto Mako's shoulder, licking his cheek. 

"You're with us now, Pabu" Bolin grinned 

The ferret squeaked, seeming to like his new name. 

"I named him Pabu", Bolin stated as they left the store, his new friend on his shoulder. 

"How did you come up with that?" El asked 

"I don't know. Just kinda came to me when the snake was crushing me. Oxygen deprivation gives you some good ideas," Bolin explained, and Elira smiled. 

*

"When you said Pichi got that scar fighting another animal, I didn't expect that" Opal chuckled and scratched the lemur under her chin, making her purr. "She's a little hero." 

"Yep. She may be small, but she sure is mighty," El laughed as Pichi chittered and puffed her chest out proudly. "But the story's not over yet." 

"There's more?" Opal smiled. "What happened?" 

"Okay, after the whole incident in the pet shop, the boys and I headed to the arena..." 

*

The boys had managed to sneak El inside the arena with them. They were sitting in a booth behind Shady Shin and Lightning bolt Zolt, watching the match. The Triple Threats didn't care that she was there so long as she didn't cause them any trouble. 

"It looks like Toza has overstayed his welcome in the ring, folks. He's single-handedly costing his team the match."  Shiro Shinobi commentated. 

"All those bets you kids collected for the Borkupines are about to wind up in our pockets", Shady Shin smirked over his shoulder at the youngsters. 

El noticed the sad look on Bolin's face and gently took his hand, squeezing it comfortingly. She knew he hated what was happening to Toza, but what could they do? 

In the ring, Toza was pushed back by a fire blast from the opposite team. Then two earth discs were sent at him and his teammate, sending his teammate over the edge into the water and pushing Toza back into zone three. Shady Shin grinned at this. 

Toza wobbled on the edge, preparing at the water below fearfully 

"Go down, ya bum!" Shady Shin yelled

Toza regained his balance, glancing at the booth the Triple Threats were in and at the kids sitting in the back. Bolin was looking down sadly, El still holding his hand with her eyes cast to the floor. 

Toza's defeated look suddenly morphed into determination. Bolin was right. He didn't need to throw the match. 

Kicking up two discs, he sent them at his opponents. 

"Wait a second, folks, Toza looks like he's suddenly waking up from a bad dream," Shiro Shinobi said 

Elira and Bolin looked up and smiled at the sight as the crowd cheered, while Mako looked shocked beside them. 

"He's blasting away, just like his championship season ten years ago! The legend still got it!" 

Toza successfully sent all three of his opponents off the edge and into the water. 

"Knockout!" 

Toza raised his fist in victory. He'd singlehandedly won the match. Elira and Bolin jumped up, cheering in excitement. 

"Yes! He listened to me, El! I told him not to throw the fight, and he listened!" Bolin exclaimed 

Shady Shin whirled around to the kids, and Mako face-palmed. They were in so much trouble. 

"You what?" Shady Shin glared. 

"Oh, well, I'm sure there were other factors", Bolin said quickly 

"Run!" Elira yelled, and the three kids booked it from the booth, Shady Shin and two of his goons chasing them. 

Running through the halls, the kids burst into the arena gym, turning around and assuming fighting stances. Bolin then held his hand up and bent the stone disc weights in front of the closed door, blocking it. 

But seconds later, the Triple Threats were outside the door. They banged on the door a few times before throwing them open, sending away the weights that were blocking them. 

Bolin bent up a large rock from the floor, holding it above his head before throwing it at the gangsters. At the same time, Mako threw a fireball at them. The fire and rock collided in the air, temporarily blinding the Triple Threats and allowing El to use her bending to send a gust of wind at them, knocking the gangsters off their feet. 

Shady Shin glared at the trio as he and his goons stood up. Shady Shin then sent a glob of water hurtling at the kids, but Bolin bent up a rock wall to protect them just in time. Mako threw another fireball, and El attempted to knock the Triple Threats down again, but they each dodged the attacks. 

Shady Shin then sent a prolonged stream of water at the rock wall Bolin had made. It cracked under the pressure. The kids hid behind the wall as each of the gangsters threw their respective element at the wall, trying to break it, when suddenly a tunnel of rocks shot at the Triple Threats and before large rocks pushed away the two gangsters flanking Shady Shin. 

"Did you do that?" El asked, looking at Bolin. 

"No, look!" Bolin gasped and pointed 

It was Toza! He'd come to help them. 

Grinning, the kids joined Toza's side, ready to continue the fight. 

"Alright, enough!" Lightning bolt Zolt suddenly appeared in the doorway, punching the wall and causing small sparks to escape. 

"You look ridiculous fighting with kids. It's not dignified," Zolt turned to Toza. "And you, what gives?  You cost me a lot of money just now. I thought you were an honourable man?" 

"I am an honourable man", Toza argued."I just needed someone to remind me." 

He turned and smiled at Bolin and Elira. He then threw a couple of wards of yuans at the gangster's feet. "Here's your money back. Now get out of my gym." 

"Let's go, boys. We're gonna talk about this when we get back to the hideout," Shady Shin said to the brothers with a  threatening tone. 

El looked at her friends, worried. 

"Don't go", She whispered, scared of what Shady Shin would do to the boys for ruining the scam. 

"We have to, El." Mako sighed 

The boys moved to walk to Shady Shin when Toza held his arms out, stopping them. "Wait. You guys have got some real bending skills. With a little training, I think you could go pro. I could teach you everything I know." 

El and the boys grinned, but Shady Shin laughed. "Sorry, bum. But at least one of these kids is too smart to end up like you. Right, Mako?" 

Elira glared at the gangster before looking over at Mako, who sighed. 

Toza jumped in again. "I could find you a place to stay right here in the arena. Who knows, you could be champs. At least it's a chance at an honest living." 

"Can we, Mako? Mako, can we, please?" Bolin begged 

"Come on, Mako. You'd be off the streets. And you wouldn't have to work for these dunderheads again" El narrowed her eyes at Shady Shin

Mako looked at his brother and friend, thinking. 

"Don't go soft on me, Mako", Shady Shin cut in again. "Remember, it's up to you to take care of your little brother. Use your head. Make the smart play." 

Mako looked from Shady Shin to Bolin and Elira, who were giving him pleading looks. 

"Sorry, Shady. Buy, you're right. I do have to take care of my brother. And I think this is what's best for him." Mako said, making Elira smile. 

"Suit yourself. But who knows, maybe we can fix a fight together sometime" And with that, Shady Shin and Zolt left the gym. 

"I'm so glad we're not criminals any more", Bolin grinned 

"You and me both" Elira laughed 

"Let's celebrate over dinner." 

"I think we should save our money, bro," Mako said 

"I'll pay", Elira offered 

"No need. I've got lots of money coming. I bet everything we had on the Borkupines!" Bolin revealed 

"What? But you knew the fight was fixed." Mako questioned 

"What can I say? I had a good feeling" Bolin smiled, placing a hand on Toza's shoulder. 

The old man just smiled and wrapped his arms around the kids, hugging them. 

" I do believe this is a new start. For all of us." Elira smiled. "But we're still getting dinner, right?" 

The boys just started laughing. 

*

"Wow, so everything turned out okay in the end." Opal smiled 

"You could say that. I'm just glad they were able to get away from the Triple Threats and make a living for themselves. Apart from that, nothing much changed. I'd still bring them treats, like my grandmother's mochi, and I'd hang out with them every day. I'll have to tell you about all the other crazy situations we've found ourselves in 'cause I've got a few," Elira said, leaning back on her hands and looking up at the sky, which was full of fluffy clouds. 

"Wow, life in Republic City sounds amazing", Opal sighed wistfully. 

"It has its ups and downs. You'll be having adventures of your own soon enough," El nudged Opal's shoulder sightly. 

"I just hope it won't involve Python-aconda's or fighting gangsters", Opal chuckled. 

"I guess we'll find out." Elira giggled and closed her eyes, feeling the sun on her face.

Hey guys, I'm sorry, I know I've been inactive for a long time. My mental health has not been the greatest, and I have just not had any motivation to write at all. But I'm trying my best to get back into posting chapters of Inner Peace as I absolutely love the book and want to finish El's story. Sorry for being a ghost, but I'm back and ready to get back into it. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34.5K 836 16
Avatar Korra has arrived back home. After three long years Asami is beyond excited to see her bestfriend again, she soon learns that alot has changed...
128K 3.6K 87
WARNING- LONG CHAPTERS, BUT WORTH THE READ ↓↓↓ She was the younger sister, but she was taught to look after her older sister and keep her safe. Her w...
9.7K 250 13
WARNING: If you have not read the first book (Love is in the air) I recommend reading that first to get a better sense of this book. After the equali...
39.8K 1.1K 25
______________________________ ______________________ Book 1; Y/n daughter of Commander Bumi and M/n a fragile noble from the fire nation who died wh...