Skeletons in the Closet

It was the middle of the night. The city was silent while Equalist airships flew overhead. Oblivious to the orange glider flying across the ocean heading straight for Aang's memorial island. The glider flew around to the back, out of sight of the few chi blockers who were patrolling around the entrance, and headed up towards Aang's statue, which now had Amon's mask covering his face and Equalists banners hanging from his staff.

Elira landed on the statue's head and pulled the hood of her cloak to cover her face more. She glared down at the mask covering Aang's face. Amon could take the city, take her home and he could separate her from her family. But he was not going to disrespect her grandfather's memory like this.

Kneeling beside where the mask was connected to the rest of the statue, Elira grabbed onto the edge and pushed with all her might. It was unbelievably heavy. Groaning in effort, Elira felt the mask shift just slightly. 

"Hey!"

Elira's head snapped up, letting go of the giant mask that returned to its original place with a loud clunk.

"What are you doing up there?!" One of the chi blockers yelled, pointing at Elira

The second chi blocker spun a bola before flinging it at the teen on top of the statue. Elira stood and twirled around, successfully dodging the weapon before sending a gust of wind at the chi-blockers sending them to the ground with a thud. She stuck her tongue out at them childishly, before picking up her glider at her feet.

"Hey! Stop!" The Equalists yelled as she jumped off Aang's statue and took off towards the city again.

"Send word to Amon" One of the chi blockers ordered "There's an airbender still in the city"

*

The next morning, Elira was sat on a crate with Bolin and Asami, smiling as she watched the earthbender playing with Pabu and Pichi. They looked up when they heard footsteps, seeing Mako and Korra coming back from the surface dressed as chi-blockers, and got up to greet them.

" You two were gone a while." Asami scowled suspiciously

"We were doing reconnaissance." Mako resorted, looking annoyed

"Whatever." Asami scoffed, irritably

Suddenly, a new friend of the team's, a hobo called Gommu, popped up between them grinning "Welcome back! Hope you worked up an appetite, 'cause dinner is served."

The team sat down around a makeshift table as Gommu stirred some sort of stew in a pot.

"Thanks so much for letting us hide out with you the past few days," Korra said as Gommu gave her a bowl of food.

"Honoured to oblige" Gommu then handed Bolin and Elira two more bowls and filled them with stew "My associates and I heartily oppose Amon's so-called "Equalist" policies. We got benders and nonbenders living together down here, but do you see us fightin'? No siree; we've figured out how to harmoniously co-exist"

Gommu wrapped his arms around himself with a goofy grin.

"You are a wise and noble hobo" Bolin smiled before eating some of his stew while Elira just looked down at her bowl, hesitantly picking up a spoonful.

"Mmmm. This is the best-tasting street gruel I've ever had. Seriously!" Bolin grinned

"I culled it from the finest dumpsters the city has to offer!"

Elira's hand froze halfway to her mouth as beside her Asami, who already had the spoon in her mouth, turned green. She spat the food back into the bowl and coughed in disgust. Sharing a glance, the two teens surreptitiously put their food on the floor behind them. Pabu crawled up behind them and began eating from one of the bowls. Pichi hopped down from Elira's shoulder with a chitter, sniffing at the remaining bowl of food.