The Whispers of Shadows - Azr...

By smplymxlfoy

Locked in darkness for centuries. Aurora had always been afraid of the dark, but when it became her home for... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
ANNOUNCEMENT

10

7.6K 223 113
By smplymxlfoy

It was three days before the group had made it to the Spring Court. Azriel had been sent to watch from above, observe the way they interacted with Tamlin. He was in his beast form when they first arrived onto his lands, but had brought them to his home in his true form. Azriel was fuming that he had welcomed them so easily, wishing he could hear what they said. His shadows stretched out, but nothing returned to him. With a frustrated grunt, he was back in the estate.

"He invited them in. He did some kind of ward, I couldn't hear anything they said," Azriel snapped, wiping his arm off as if it would cleanse his fury. Rhysand stood from his seat, boots scraping the floor.

"I don't doubt that he will mention our Court. He knows nothing, but would send an angry army to our borders just to spite me. I haven't heard back from Kallias, and Mor hasn't returned from visiting Viviane. We will wait to hear from her. Az, just make sure they don't start coming this way," he thought aloud, running his hand along his jaw.

"Can't we just send them to the Hewn City like we had planned?" Cassian added, standing from his own seat. Rhysand nodded.

"We will. If no Court claims Aurora, Aldric may assume she is dead. It may be better that way while she trains and learns of her power."

Azriel gritted his teeth, flicking his eyes to the window. If Tamlin sent that prick to his Court borders, Azriel would kill him on site and claim self

"You're showing your care, Azriel. We will not kill a member of Kallias's lands, especially not a war general. Keep your feelings at bay."

Azriel's gaze shot to his High Lord. "Get out of my head, Rhys."

Cassian glanced between them, understanding there was some type of mental communication that he was not meant to hear.

"Do not speak to me in that way. Keep your fucking shields up, and stop thinking about her. Cassian told me how close you were to her, do not let anything happen until she can handle things on her own. Let her learn and live first." Rhysand lifted his chin, clenching his jaw. Azriel felt his hands close into fists. He wanted to get closer to Aurora, touch her without her flinching.

"Hey, I don't know what you two are talking about, but I need to go. Az, let me know if there's any movement in the Spring Court," Cassian chipped in, tucking his wings as he slid from the room. Azriel kept his eyes on his High Lord, cracking his neck and flaring his wings. Rhysand seemed to understand his tactic, wings flaring up behind him as well.

"Keep yourself stable, Shadowsinger. You are meant to train her, learn of her past and foes, and protect her. Stay on that track before you let anything else happen," Rhysand growled, night seeming to seep from every vein. Azriel felt his shadows mimick his act, rising above and reaching out. He didn't allow himself to get angry with his High Lord often, but he hated how his interest in females always seemed to get slammed down by him.

Azriel said nothing more as he sent himself to the House. He had hardly materialized from darkness before his feet carried him to the stairs.  He went down, down, down, eyes and shadows searching for the one thing he was allowed to have for himself. He searched for the priestess that would let him take her to his room and rid himself of the longing to touch. He needed to curb his rage, and shoving his cock into a moaning Gwyn was the only thing he could think of.

                                  ——————

Aurora was basking in the sunlight as it streamed into the sitting room. She had let her hair fall free, waved by the braids it had been in overnight. Azriel hadn't come to see her since he left with Cassian the day before, but she didn't mind. Her aching muscles were grateful for the rest.

She stretched to see the tiny people walking the streets below, hair falling over her arms and face. She was dressed in blue Night Court attire, something she had begun to grow fond of. The silkiness of the fabric felt like comfort on her skin.

Footsteps sounded, making her aware of Azriel approaching. She was always grateful he would announce himself before coming into a room, not wanting to frighten her. She turned her head slightly to see him walk from the corridor, his shadows running along his cheek and shoulders. His face was stone and he was dressed in his leathers.

"Are we training today?" Aurora asked. Azriel's eyes ran over her; her face, hair, the way her knees were tucked to her chest.

"I have business to tend to. I would like you to spend four hours minimum practicing your hits. Remember to stretch and do your weights as well," he spoke softly, voice carrying to her through shadow. Aurora felt her face tighten at his angry tone, but nodded. His eyes ran over her once more before his shadows enveloped him and he was gone.

Aurora stretched out her legs before climbing to her feet. She had already eaten breakfast, so she went to her room to change into the leathers she had been gifted. Aurora learned that they were Nesta's before her muscles grew into a new pair. Aurora hoped she would do the same. Tightening her boots, she made her way to the training ring and did what she was told. Azriel had placed the practicing dummies out for her prior to her going to the ring.

Sweat rolled down her body, hair dripping from the knot on the back of her head. The sun was beating down on her, making her temperature from training rise more. Aurora decided she had enough, arms too weak to lift into a punch. She trudged down the stairs and realized she had trained for six hours. She didn't make it to her room, but rather collapsed onto the couch. Her eyes fluttered, blinking at the corridor where her room was, but soon enough, she was asleep.

It was hours later when her eyes peeled open, blinking at the apricot sunset rays coming through the window. Aurora sat up slowly, feeling her bones creak and muscles burn.

"How long did you train?" The voice made her jump, head whirling to the side. Azriel was sat at the dining table, a fork in hand stabbing at a piece of turkey.

"Six hours," Aurora responded simply. He gave a nod and looked down to his plate. "Did you learn anything more about Aldric?" She continued, standing from the couch. Azriel sipped his wine as he looked at her, those shadows hovering over his head and shoulders just like earlier in the morning.

"He's in the Spring Court. He has not left Tamlin's home, but I can't hear what they say in there. He warded it," he responded. Aurora felt her stomach tighten at the thought of her brother getting closer to finding her.

"Is that where you were today?" She asked, bringing her arms up to take down the bun at the back of her head. Azriel's throat bobbed as he watched her hair tumble down and over her shoulders.

"Yes. I was watching from above."

Aurora stiffly walked to the table, sitting down in front of the other steaming plate of food. She had missed lunch and her stomach was begging for food. She sipped the wine and began to eat the potatoes. Azriel still watched her, thoughts flooding his mind.

"Will we be training tomorrow?" Aurora asked, looking up at him. Azriel nodded. She felt a shift in his presence, as if he wanted anything to get away from her. Aurora cleared her throat and turned back down to her plate. She ate in silence, completely aware of Azriel watching her.

"Cassian told me that Nesta offered to take you around the city," Azriel spoke up, making Aurora glance to him.

"Nesta? The High Lady's sister?" Azriel gave a nod.

"One of them. She wished to take you around to different markets and shops. Particularly, the book store. Would you like to join her tonight? There will be people, but I assure you that no one will touch you," he explained, shoving a piece of turkey into his mouth. Aurora swallowed, tapping her fingers against her thigh. Nesta was the one on Cassian's arm, the one who seemed to glare down at her. Would she be amused by Aurora's fear of people?

"That would be fine," Aurora decided, feeling her appetite drop with rising anxiety.

"She will be here in an hour if you'd like to get ready." Aurora held her breath for a moment, then finished her wine and another few bites of food before leaving the table in silence. She cleansed herself in the tub and chose a dress of a lavender satin. It seemed to fit her better than others she had worn, more fitted on the waist and chest. She braided her damp hair and let a few strands fall around her face, hoping to hide beneath them if she wished.

When Aurora emerged from her room, Cassian and Nesta had joined Azriel in the dining room. Cassian had a wide smile on his face as he spoke, and Nesta was staring down at her nails as her hand splayed across the table.

"There you are. I forgot to tell you that the only way to get to the city is to fly down, or winnow. Are you comfortable with flying?" Azriel asked, looking up at her. Aurora sucked in a sharp breath, eyes flicking to Nesta and Cassian. She hadn't flown before, nor did she think she could be that close to Azriel. They noticed her hesitation, and Nesta cleared her throat.

"If you'd rather, we can go down to the library. You could meet my friend Gwyn and we can find books there," she spoke in a voice softer than Aurora imagined she would. Azriel stiffened at this, and Aurora glanced to him. She wanted to experience the city she had been watching for so long, walk amongst the people and see them as more than just tiny specks. Her eyes fell to Azriel's arms, the arms that would no doubt hold her as they flew.

In all her time here, she had learned so much about herself, including the fact that after five centuries, she wanted to live. She wanted to experience the hold of a male, experience walking in public. Aurora wanted to experience making a friend. With a shaking breath, Aurora spoke.

"I will fly down to the city with you." They all had a hint of surprise on their faces, but rid of them quickly. Azriel stood, stretching out his wings.

"Okay, let's go then." Cassian and Nesta rose, walking towards the stairs of the training ring. Aurora turned to Azriel, who was now next to her. "Are you sure you want to fly? I'm going to have to carry you," he asked, lifting his arms as if to imitate how he would hold her. Aurora felt the shake in her hands as she nodded and began up to the ring. He followed silently.

When she emerged onto the training ring, Nesta was in Cassian's arms. Aurora noticed how one arm was around her waist, the other beneath her thighs. Her head turned to Azriel as she wondered if that's how he would carry her. She looked back at Cass and Nesta, watching how his wings lifted up, and then he shot into the air. A breeze blew at her hair when she felt Azriel step closer to her.

"Tell me when you're ready," he nearly whispered. She swallowed and gave him a nod. Wanting to make the first contact, Aurora slowly lifted her hand and laid it on his shoulder. She felt the taut muscle beneath her fingers and the way he stiffened. She felt the way he held his breath as his arm slipped behind her, ever so carefully laying his palm on her waist. Aurora's breath hitched, the coolness of his touch sending chills down her spine.

"I'm okay," she assured him, and Azriel leant down to grab her legs. His arm looped beneath her thighs and he held her up. Aurora could feel the blush spreading across her face, so she looked towards the mountains and city rather than at him. Azriel took it as a sign to move, so he walked them to the edge of the ring. Anxiety spiked in her stomach as she noticed the drop below.

"Are you ready?" He asked, and the sound of his voice so close to her ear sent another round of chills.

"Yes," she whispered. Azriel tightened his grip on her, extended his wings, and they were off.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

83.7K 3K 25
Auroria of House Vanserra has much more in common with Azriel, the Spymaster of the Night Court, than she could have thought - than either of them wo...
5.9K 426 9
𝐀 𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓 𝐎𝐅 𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐃𝐎𝐖𝐒 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐀𝐒𝐇 ❛ how cruel, your veins are full of ice-water and mine are boiling ❜ ...
59.2K 1.9K 18
𝐄𝐫𝐞𝐦𝐨𝐩𝐡𝐨𝐛𝐢𝐚: 𝐅𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝐨𝐟 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬. She saw herself as one could view the moon. Isolated from everyone, alone in the da...
160K 1.2K 41
A group of fic's detailing some of the more major scenes of A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas from the point of view of Rhysand, as he dea...