The Whispers of Shadows - Azr...

By smplymxlfoy

Locked in darkness for centuries. Aurora had always been afraid of the dark, but when it became her home for... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
ANNOUNCEMENT

8

7.5K 215 15
By smplymxlfoy

Five hours. Azriel did not return until the early morning, just after midnight. Aurora was still in the crouched position at the foot of her bed, trying to process everything she had learned. Completely enveloped in her thoughts, the knock on her door made her jump.

"Come in," she croaked. Azriel stepped into the room, shadows following in their entirety. He stared down at her for a moment before speaking.

"I will be gone for a few days. I will be following your brother as he visits the Dawn Court and find out why he is trying to track you. It won't be long before he makes his way here. He has a group following him from Court to Court. Will you be okay with Cassian and Feyre dropping in to check on you? And if you'd like to continue training, Cassian is the most available at the moment."

Aurora swallowed, her dry throat threatening to make her cough. She didn't want Cassian around her, she didn't trust him or feel comfortable around him. Azriel was growing on her, but she still did not allow his touch. She wanted to continue to learn techniques and strategies, and Cassian did seem like he'd be best at that. He was the general after all.

"I would like to continue training," she spoke simply. Azriel nodded once.

"Another topic I would like to touch on is the fact that the floor beneath my feet is burnt, and Cassian said that you sent flames upon him. You are from the Winter Court, aren't you?"

Aurora sighed, tucking her sore legs closer to her body. "My true father is a member of the Autumn Court. I wasn't aware of such powers, nor meant to use them against your brother. I was frightened, and he laid a hand upon my back. It just happened, I don't know how. I've never been able to do it before."

Azriel's shadows seemed to deepen, brush against his cheeks and shoulders. "Cassian put a hand on you?"

"Not in a harmful way. I was panicking, I was crouched on the floor and I didn't recognize him when he spoke. He placed a hand on my back to try and bring me out of the panic, but it scared me more. I just shoved away and somehow flames attacked him," Aurora responded, taking in a shaking breath when his shadows fell behind his wings.

"I'm sorry that he touched you. I will speak with him about it before training to make sure he doesn't make the mistake I did. I will be gone for the rest of the week, I'm leaving as soon as we are finished here," Azriel responded. His voice wasn't as frightening as Rhysand's or Cassian's, but each word still held a power over her. A true warrior's voice.

"I understand. I will see you when you return," Aurora answered, turning her eyes to the charcoaled floor. Azriel stood there for a moment before retreating into the corridor and shutting the door.

Aurora didn't sleep that night, but instead stayed in her spot until the sun rose. As soon as it did, she stretched her sore legs out and climbed to her feet. She dressed in the tight pants, but opted for a large tunic to hide her much more than the sleeveless tops Azriel had seen.

When she climbed the steps to the training ring, Cassian was already there. Wings tall and spread, he had his large arms crossed as he watched the sun rise into the Spring morning. Aurora didn't want to speak, not to him. She made her way to the center, where she had been working the past few days with Azriel. Cassian didn't turn as she did her stretches or warm-ups. He didn't glance to her as she did the crunches and push-ups that had her arms trembling.

"You did not eat breakfast," Cassian finally spoke, making Aurora's eyes snap to him. He looked over his shoulder at her when she shook her head. "That was a mistake. I can hear your stomach growling from here. I know you did not eat supper last night either." As soon as he finished his words, a plate arrived on the red dirt, eggs and toast atop it. A glass was beside it, filled with cold water.

"I'm not hungry," Aurora muttered, eyeing the plate. Cassian turned fully.

"Your shouting stomach says otherwise. I will not begin training until you finish that plate. If you wish for more, do not hesitate to ask the House."

Aurora's brows pinched together as she turned her seated body and grabbed the fork, stabbing the egg. Cassian turned back to the sunrise, giving her privacy as she ate. While she did so, Aurora studied his wings. They were very similar to Azriel's. Held with the same confidence and fear factor, broad and stretching far beyond his body frame. The sun shone through them, hinting at the veins and bones within.

When Aurora finished her meal, the plate and glass vanished. Cassian seemed to sens it and turned to her.

"Show me what Azriel has taught you so far." With flushed cheeks, Aurora stood and imitated the movements that she has learned over the past few days. The punches and kicks, the balancing, all done smoothly, in her opinion.

"I can see that you're remembering the motions, but there are a few things I would like to tweak," Cassian began before placing himself in a starting position, "When punching, fold your thumb over your pointer and middle fingers, otherwise, it will shatter when you make contact. Next, make sure to keep your wrist straight. I don't want you to break that as well."

With a heavy breath, Aurora copied his movements. Cassian gave her a nod and motioned for her to continue. She was grateful that he stayed a far distance away and that he only spoke when instructing. She did miss the approval that Azriel would give her after she did a movement correctly, but understood that Cassian was more focused on instructing than praise.

"When you kick, keep your planted leg straight. Turn your foot in the dirt, not your hips. Do you remember the balancing that you did with your foot behind you? Mimic that but to the side."

She did, struggling to keep balance at first but eventually held the position with both legs. The next time she kicked out at her invisible target, her body was stable and her leg had more power.

The sun was above their heads when Cassian told her to go cool down and have lunch. He said he had to go somewhere for an hour but would be back for the afternoon. Aurora trudged down the stairs and practically fell into her chair at the dining table. A sandwich of turkey and cheese was in front of her, paired with juice, water, and a variety of cut vegetables.

She ate in silence, arms burning every time she brought her food to her mouth. Aurora couldn't imagine another minute of training today, let alone an entire afternoon. She was finished with her food with more than half an hour to spare so she settled onto the cushioned couch and watched the city below.

Aurora didn't know she had fallen asleep until Cassian was calling her name, arms crossed as he stood at the end of the corridor.

"Sorry," she murmured, climbing from the couch. Her legs, abdomen, and arms ached as she followed him up to the training ring. He had her repeat her warm ups, and then pulled out a cushioned mannequin to practice her punches and kicks on. It only took an hour before her legs were threatening to give out and her punches were weak.

"Did Azriel not have you do these in morning and afternoon?" Cassian asked, motioning for her to sit. Aurora groaned as her backside hit the red dirt.

"No, we did training for several hours from the later morning into the afternoon. I'd start with the balancing and then end with punches and kicks." He clicked his tongue.

"I wasn't aware of that. If you wish to be able to take down a warrior, you're going to need to be doing this type of training everyday. It took Nesta months, and you're in worse shape than she was, no offense," Cassian explained. Aurora just shrugged, letting her head droop forward. "I guess I will let you rest until tomorrow then, but make sure to eat breakfast and plan to do this same workout tomorrow. I'll be here at sunrise."

Aurora just looked up as he spread his wings and boomed into the sky. She let her back hit the ground and watched him fly down into the city. Her eyes closed, breathing labored. The sun warmed her already sweating body, but she had no strength to drag herself to the shade. When footsteps sounded, she blinked her eyes open. Cauldron, the sun was setting. Aurora sat up, looking behind her. Feyre was stood with a smile and a stunning black gown. Aurora guessed it was one of her more casual dresses, but still beautiful.

"Cassian tired you out?" She asked with a laugh. Aurora nodded, grunting as she climbed to her feet. "Go wash up and take all the time you wish. I came here to join you for supper, but I have no issue with waiting until you're ready."

"Thank you," Aurora spoke quietly, following the High Lady down the steps and veered off to the bathing chamber. She peeled off the sticky and dirt coated clothes and lowered herself into the already-filled tub. It was luke-warm, and slowly went colder to soothe her aching muscles. Aurora grunted as she pulled her hair from the braided knot and unraveled it. She strained to wash the dirt from it with soaps, and it took far longer than she wished. When she felt clean, she climbed from the tub and dried off, grimacing when she realized she had forgotten clothes.

Comforted by the fact that only Feyre was in the House, Aurora slipped down the corridor into her bedroom to change into a pair of Night Court attire. The smooth fabric slid along her skin and felt like pure paradise on her aching body. When she made it to the dining table, Feyre was sat across her with a plate of meat and vegetables and a glass of wine. Aurora's side was filled with the same. Her brows furrowed at the sight of the wine. She hasn't tried it, nor had any alcohol during her lifetime.

"Oh, would you like water instead? I forgot you have not had wine," Feyre spoke, rising to her feet.

"No, no. I will try it," Aurora assured her as she sat. Feyre placed herself back in her seat and began eating.

"I was told of your powers," Feyre began, setting her fork down, "And I wanted to mention that I had powers manifest as well. I'm not sure if you're aware, but I was Made by the seven High Lords. I have collected power from each of them, including fire from the Autumn Court. They each showed themselves when I felt extreme emotion, and it took training to learn how to control it. If I'm not mistaken, your power came to you when you were in a state of panic and fright, correct?"

Aurora nodded, sipping the wine. It was a mixture of sweet and bitter, and she quite liked the taste. "I don't understand why it took so long to come to me. I've felt anxiety and fear for five centuries straight, why would it not come in those times?"

Feyre gave her a quick look of pity before straightening her face. "During that time, you were in the Winter Court and locked in cold and darkness. When your magic came to you, it was in your room, which is filled with candles- fire. That environment would have fed into your magic, not to mention the regular meals and strength that you've built. I believe it was all due to the situation you've been placed in."

Aurora pondered that for a moment, and it did make sense. She was malnourished and wrapped in darkness her whole life. It made sense that fire manipulation occurred when she had nourishment and was surrounded in light and warmth.

"Do regular members of the Autumn Court have fire magic?" Aurora finally asked before taking another large drink of her wine and another bite of food.

Feyre chewed on her bottom lip as she thought. "I believe some do, but of course, High Fae hold power. Your father would be High Fae, but I've only met a few with that magic. The High Lord, Beron, and his sons."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

100K 3.4K 49
The magic of Prythian is fading, and with it everything that Zaria loves. As daughter of Tamlin, High Lord of the Spring Court, her father's reputati...
226K 7.2K 43
After ACOSF Two years after the king of Hybern fell, two years of peace in Prythian. As the Inner Circle gets their routine, starts living their life...
5.8K 418 9
๐€ ๐‚๐Ž๐”๐‘๐“ ๐Ž๐… ๐’๐‡๐€๐ƒ๐Ž๐–๐’ ๐€๐๐ƒ ๐€๐’๐‡ โ› how cruel, your veins are full of ice-water and mine are boiling โœ ...
54.5K 3.6K 62
โ™ก - โ› you're the ๐’Ž๐’๐’๐’, she's the ๐’”๐’–๐’, and i'm just another ๐’”๐’•๐’‚๐’“. โœ eris ๐’™ fem!oc ๐’™ azriel love triangle, enemies to lovers ยฉ old-moon