The Whispers of Shadows - Azr...

By smplymxlfoy

Locked in darkness for centuries. Aurora had always been afraid of the dark, but when it became her home for... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
ANNOUNCEMENT

7

7.4K 239 8
By smplymxlfoy

When Aurora climbed the steps to the training ring the next morning, Azriel was already doing his own regime. He was practicing combat against an invisible partner, ducking and punching. Aurora was silent, stepping onto the red clay ground. She knew he could hear her, but he showed no sign as he continued his training.

"Start with stretches, then balance on the line with one leg outstretched behind you." Azriel didn't even glance her way as he spoke, walking to get water and a blade. Aurora did as she was told, unable to keep her mind from spinning. Had he agreed with Cassian? Did he truly believe he was babysitting her? Had he gone out last night and decided he was tired of treating her as a victim?

Aurora finished her stretches and began her balancing, removing her boots and letting her feet adjust on the line. When her leg extended behind her, she lost balance and fell forward with a grunt. She heard Azriel's boots still on the dirt and cringed. Aurora shoved herself off the ground and began to try again, but felt hands on her waist when she extended her foot.

"No," she gasped, pushing away from Azriel. She didn't want to be touched, not by a man. Not when she was still weak. Azriel stepped back, lifting his hands up.

"I'm sorry. I was going to help you position, I should've asked first. May I help you?" She swallowed with a shake of her head.

"No, just tell me, please." Slowly, Aurora returned to the white chalk line and placed her foot on it. With a sharp breath, she lifted her leg behind her.

"You're leaning forward too far. Try and straighten your back. If it helps, arch your back so that your head and foot are parallel," Azriel explained in a low voice, hands shoved in his pocket. Aurora felt like an idiot as she arched her back, instantly feeling the trembling in her floored foot stop. "Okay, not straighten your leg. Your knee is bent and it will be easy to lose balance again. If you hold this for a minute, we will try the other foot."

Aurora did as she was told, holding her breath as she straightened her leg. She wiggled a bit more before regaining her balance. Her thigh burned as she held the pose, it felt like an hour before Azriel indicated that she could stand normal again.

"Try your other leg now. It may take a moment to find your balance again," Azriel instructed, shifting his stance so he was closer to her face as she bent and lifted her right leg. Her balance did not come. Aurora yelped as she began to fall again, but hands caught her shoulders as her other foot was planted into the ground. The hands were gone as quickly as they had touched her, but Aurora shivered at the touch.

"I'm sorry, I didn't want you to fall. Try again," Azriel motioned his hands and then shoved it back into his pocket. Aurora glanced at him before repeated the motion, this time finding her balance quicker. Thigh burning, she held the pose until he told her to stop.

Their training lasted three hours this time, Azriel continuously shifting between instructing her and working on his own practice. He announced that their time was up and Aurora didn't spare him a glance as she hurried down the stairs and to her room. She sat in silence on the floor in front of her bed, red knees pulled to her chest. His touch made her want to fight him, and she was able to shove him away. Aurora wondered if she'd be able to do that in a situation where the male wouldn't step away when told to.

Tears pricked her eyes, throat tightening. She wished she could allow his touch, enjoy it even. She remembered how Nesta had clung to Cassian's arm, not for safety or comfort, but in a loving gesture. How Rhys's hand rested on Feyre's knee whenever they were sat beside each other. Could she stomach a touch as gentle as that? Could she even stomach when she and Azriel would begin hand to hand combat?

In silence and solemn, she cried. She allowed herself to cry. Aurora didn't do it often, too afraid the soldiers would hear her in her prison and taunt her. She felt safe in this temporary room of hers, in the light.

                         ————

It was another two weeks of balancing before Azriel allowed her to learn punches. Thankfully, he had brought out a cushioned mannequin for her to train on, rather than himself. In that time, she had begun learning how to lift weights and do cardio workouts. Each day, her limbs felt like jelly when she'd make it to the bath or her bedroom. Many days, she was too exhausted to bathe before dinner would be sent to her room. Aurora was grateful those days, to eat in solitude.  Cassian had been joining Azriel for dinner more often and she didn't enjoy supper around him. He still frightened her, even though she knew he'd never hurt her.

Especially after what he had said those two weeks ago about Azriel babysitting her. She felt like a nuisance. In those two weeks, Aurora didn't hear word from Mor or Feyre, not even the High Lord. Azriel gave her no indication about her brother's whereabouts, about their plans. He hardly spoke to her outside of instructing her.

Training had been over for an hour, Aurora had bathed and changed into Night Court attire, a set of deep green silken pants and a matching short-sleeved top. She kept her hair in the braid she had done when it was wet, and it fell down her back, leaving a wet line along her shirt. Aurora had begun to grow used to her midriff showing in these clothes after so long of wearing it.

Supper was served at the table tonight, and she trudged into the dining room. Azriel was in his all black attire, wings strongly stood behind him as he sat at the table. Azriel's shadows seemed to cloud his shoulders and hair as his eyes stayed down on his plate. His roasted turkey and potato dinner was untouched as she approached. Her eyes fell to the third plate.

"Is Cassian joining supper tonight?" She asked quietly as she sat. Azriel's hazel eyes jumped from the plate to her.

"Actually, Rhysand will be joining us." Aurora's brows climbed her forehead. She wasn't aware that Rhys's name was Rhysand, she hadn't heard him mentioned as such yet.

"Does he have news about my brother?"

Aurora didn't get an answer before footsteps sounded. She turned her head and nearly cowered in the presence of the High Lord. She still had not grown use to the power that seemed to choke her whenever Rhysand or Feyre were around.

"Good evening, Azriel, Aurora," he spoke in a kind voice, sitting across from Aurora. She forced a greeting smile to her lips and a dip of her head.

"Rhys, tell me what you've learned." Azriel didn't greet his High Lord, his scarred hands rested on the tables in fists. Aurora studied him a moment.

"Aldric is the general of the Winter Court armies. Oberon was killed in the war with Hybern. Word has spread of his missing sister and he is now searching for Aurora. He has already visited the Autumn Court and the Summer Court. His next trip is to the Dawn Court in three days."

Aurora's breath was stuck in her chest, stomach twisting and hands trembling as they desperately grabbed onto the fabric of her pants. Azriel had a dead stare at the High Lord, jaw clicking as he clenched it.

"Can we kill him?"

Rhys just stared at Azriel, and then glanced at Aurora. "No. It will inflict a battle with the Winter Court that we cannot afford. We need to figure out why he's searching for Aurora if he had left her to rot," the High Lord spoke in a cool tone.

"So let me fucking go watch him. Let me go see why he's looking for her," Azriel snapped, standing from his seat. The way the seat scratched against the floor as it flew back and his shadows seemed to overcome him made Aurora flinch. Her eyes were pricked with scared tears, breathing labored. She noticed the way the High Lord's nostrils flared and muscle flickered in his jaw as he stood, slamming his fist on the table. Night and darkness seemed to flare out from his body.

"Damn it, Azriel. We will have this conversation in my office at the estate. Now." He was gone. Smothered in wind and darkness, the High Lord winnowed away. Azriel chest rose with a breath of rage as he let his hand fall slack and turned to Aurora.

"I'm sorry I frightened you. Please, enjoy your supper and do not worry, no one will touch you in this city or this House. I will be back," he muttered before he joined Rhysand at his estate. Aurora just sat staring at the spot he once stood.

Aldric was searching for her. After five centuries, her terror of a half-brother was tearing the Courts apart to collect her. Her chest wouldn't move, wouldn't take in air. Her cheeks felt wet and it was the only indication that tears fell. Aurora stood, gasping in the air that seemed to hide from her lungs. The room was spinning, was she spinning? The darkness was coming in, creeping and she couldn't get away fast enough.

Aurora felt like she was running, but couldn't tell. She was on a dead line to her room, where every corner was full of light. She needed light. Her knees buckled as she pushed through the door, legs and elbows slamming into the ground as she cried out. Not a thought was clear, tears blurred her vision. It was a damned panic attack. Aurora clawed at the ground when her head laid onto it, wood splinters digging underneath her nails.

"Hey! Hey! What's going on?"

A male voice had her cowering, bringing her body into a ball that she was so used to. As soon as a large hand was on her back, Aurora erupted. Light blinded her, heat coursing through her body as she whirled around and tried to shove the male away.

"What the fuck? Stop! Aurora, stop!" He shouted, the voice growing clearer. Aurora sucked in a breath, blinking away the tears. Her legs scrambled to the bed, her back pressed into the frame. Cassian was backed up against the wall, flames climbing the wood floor in front of him. His wide eyes fell from her face to the floor and he frantically stomped at the fire until it was smothered. Aurora's chest rose and fell rapidly, hand still outstretched towards him.

"You can manipulate fire?" He gasped out, hand lifting to rub the spot on his arm that had been licked by flame. Aurora didn't answer. Her blurry eyes stayed on him, hand falling to her lap. Cassian shook his head, blinking at her.

"Where's Rhysand? He told me he was coming here to speak with you and Azriel and then told me to get to him as soon as I could. Where are they?"

Aurora swallowed, blinking rapidly. "The estate," she whispered. Cassian gave her a curt nod, glancing at the burnt floor before he ducked between the doorway. Aurora's gaze shifted to the large window where she saw massive wings carrying Cassian into the sky. She looked back at the burnt floor, and then to the hundreds of candles that surrounded her.

Fire manipulation? That's specific to the Autumn Court. She is a member of the Winter Court, as much of a member as she could be. Could it be a gift from her true father? The panic started to rise again as she slouched into the bed frame.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

73.5K 3K 96
She sent as much love as she dared, hoping he wouldn't feel it, praying he wouldn't link it to her. But just for that one second, she let herself lov...
83.6K 3K 25
Auroria of House Vanserra has much more in common with Azriel, the Spymaster of the Night Court, than she could have thought - than either of them wo...
81.8K 3.1K 74
Feyre Archeron and her best friend had been close since they were young. They trusted each other and were there for each other in times of need. But...
40.7K 962 37
Love conquers everything they say, but does it death? The story of two lovers destined to be together but haunted by the ghosts of the past. Slowbur...