Evanescent

By essential_snow28

Isabelle Gilmore Hayden is a brilliantly talented woman, that's has overcome any family struggles to get wher... More

Cast
Personal ID
A Hard Days Night
zooming through season one
Addison
Friend
Trains
The Happy Couple
Lets toast to Life
Where are you Christmas?
Sutures
The end of the world
Markie
A string of Chaos
Promises are a joke
Melodious
Nancy Pants
A whisper to a Scream
The Numbness of Searing Pain
Stone Cold
Time After Time
We almost had it all...
A Change is Gonna Come
Crash into me
Hello Huntzberger
Freedom
Dream a Little Dream Of Me
Mom?
It must help that I'm so... hot
Wish you were here/Stairway to Heaven

Heart of The matter

491 14 5
By essential_snow28

Two weeks later....

I am walking past the elevator with Cristina and as we do Meredith exits and joins us.

Cristina grumpy," Oh, great. I'm stuck in the pit protecting smack heads and gang bangers with my idiot interns, and you're getting McDreamied in the elevator?"

I wrinkle my nose," Eww."

Meredith laughs," Really, smack heads and gang bangers at Seattle Grace, huh?"

Cristina sighs," My point is, I hate interns."

Meredith smiles," They are not all bad..." Meredith looks to me," Well, Lexie's not that bad, is she?"

I say," She is my best intern."

Cristina looks at her confused," Oh, are we not hating her anymore?"

Meredith explains," Oh, no. We still hate the idea of her. We just realized we don't have a reason to hate the actual person."

I go to speak," I dont hate her, but I am going hard on her for Meredith. Thats something right, I don't want to become all bestie with her because I can not really find a reason to hate her."

Cristina says," She's an intern. That's reason enough."

Meredith chuckles and looks at chrisitna," I think you may be the new nazi."

I laugh as christina says," Damn Right"

To the interns nearby Meredith says," I don't see any charts. (Meredith walks up to Alex and I follow) Will you work for me on Saturday?"

Alex frowns,"What's in it for me?"

Meredith sighs," What do you want?"

Alex," Take Norman off my hands today."

I look at him confused," Who?"

Alex replies," The world's oldest intern. I've got my interns in the pit, and he's only gonna slow me down."

Meredith,"Ageist"

Alex," Deal?"

Meredith says," Fine. (George rushes by again) Rounds."

George yells back," Still can't find Izzie."

Meredith yells back," I'm gonna have to put you in the clinic if you miss rounds."

I look at Alex and Mer," What's his deal?"

They both shrug.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

In the ER...

George enters the ER and says," Lexie! Sorry. Uh, have you seen Dr. Stevens?"

Lexie responds," No. Have you seen Dr. Hayden Gilmore?"

George quickly says," No."

Lexiesighs," She told me to meet her here in the pit, and she's not here. I don't want to give that woman any more reasons to hate me."

George looks confused," Wait Isabelle hates you. Really... Thats rare, she normally does not hate many people."

Lexie sighs," I dont know, but I'm prepared. I'm gonna answer every question correctly. And I'm not gonna take any more of her crap."

I enter the ER and say," Grey incoming! let's move!"
--------
Derek is in the trauma room with Adam and Stanley Singer, along with myself and Lexie.

Stanley explains," He got hit during a scrimmage."

Derek," Are you the coach?"

Adam sighs,"He's my dad."

Stanley corrected," And his coach. He was charging the receiver after the kickoff. He got blocked, had his head down, couldn't see the other guy coming."

Adam rolls his eyes," I had my head down because the guy blocking me was holding it down. "

Stanley,' You could've gotten past that guy."

Derek looks at the dad," I need you to leave the room. Okay, let's cut him out of his equipment. I need the saw. Dr. Grey, I need you to help me stabilize his neck and his head, please. It's very important, Adam, that you not move your head. I need you to keep perfectly still. Don't move. Relax."
----
Lexie, myself and Derek are in the viewing room.

Lexie says," I can't believe that kid's dad. I mean, his son is paralyzed, and the guy's still riding him."

I say rudely," Not all parents are saints, learn that.Start Focus more on the medicine, and less on the tragedy."

Derek looks confused at the way I spoke and looks to Lexie," So how would you proceed, Dr. Grey?"

Lexie looks surprised," Oh, um...you won't be able to operate unless you realign his spine, would you?"

Derek says," And how would you do that?"

Lexie responds," Traction halo?"

Derek smiles ," Very impressive, Dr. Grey. Your intern year's off to a good start. How's it going? How are you and Meredith?"

I shift awkwardly I dont want to get in the middle or start to feel bad for lexie, but I understand how it feels for one to feel like family hates them.

Lexie responds," It's weird, the whole family thing. And plus, I think she might still hate me."

Derek," She doesn't hate you."

I glare at Derek and bit my cheek.

Lexie looks hopeful and says," Really? Did she say that?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I walk up to the nurses station and ut my head on the counter next to Chrisitna," Lexie and Derek were all buddy buddy with conversation. Its awkward."

Christina sighs," Ugh, she needs to stop"

I shrug my shoulders," She kinda reminds me of myself. Idk..."

Cristina sees Meredith walk by," Hey, are you aware that McDreamy and the other Grey are bonding?"

Meredith looks surprised," Bonding?"

Cristina," Over their mutual Meredith Greyness."

Meredith sighs," What do you mean? They're talking about me? What are they saying?"

I sigh," i don't know I left as the were talking about what's really important...you."

We walk away as we hear Meredith call after us but we keep walking.
----------------------

Myslef, Lexie, and Derek are in Adam's room.

I am next to him explaining," First we're going to apply halo, which uses weights and traction to pull your spine back into place.

Adam," Traction?"

Lexie steps in,"Like at the gym. We stretch your upper body using weights until the tension pops the spine into position."

I then say," Except unlike at the gym, Dr. Shepherd needs to attach the traction device directly to your head by screwing two bolts into your skull."

Adam," That sounds painful."

Stanley," Painful is if he doesn't fix your spine. Painful is you never walk again. Okay. We gonna do this thing or what?"

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am nurses station when Lexie approaches," Um...Dr. Shepherd asked that we meet in Adam's room in ten minutes. You could at least acknowledge that you heard me."

I lift my head," If You're using the Grey sister angle to get in good withDerek. I get that. But you're here on my license. So if you do anything, like kill someone, it's on me. So for the rest of the day you're not gonna say anything about your personal life. We can not be focused on these little things you talk about. You're an intern. Are we clear...?"

Lexie nods,: We are clear..."

I nod back," Good"
----------

Stanley says," You hear that? Like a weight room. There's nothing to be scared of. He's been weight training since he was 8 years old."

I smile comfortingly at Adam," Hey you got this handled then."

Derek looks to me," Dr. Hayden-Gilmore, this is a good teaching moment isn't it."

I nod understanding what he is applying," You need to get a little closer if you want to learn something today, Grey."

Lexie comes and stands next to me as I stabilize my head and Derek says," Okay, Adam, I'm going to attach the tongs now. I need you to stay perfectly still during this procedure. Let the weights do all the work. Okay, you're gonna feel a little pressure, but with the meds we've given you, you shouldn't feel any pain. All right. Here we go."

-----------------------------------------

Adam's room.

I say,"Try not to move your head, Adam. "

Adam in pain," I'm... I'm trying, but... I don't know how much longer I can take this."

Stanley says," You'll take as much as they give you, son. Okay, now come on! You can do this.

I try to comfort nad say,"It's just another few pounds."

Lexie says," maybe we should..."

I interrupt," Just a second Dr. Grey."

Adam sighs," I...I can't. Please take it off."

Stanley," No, no. Can't quit. Push through it."

I keep going,"Okay, just one more plate."

Stanley says," Adam, you're strong. You can handle this. Want to be a quitter, do you? Huh, do you?"

I sigh," Okay, you know what? That's it. That's it. That's 20 pounds."

Stanley," There, you did it. Right? Told you, you could do it."

Adam gets worked up," Somebody get him out. Please. Somebody get him out"

Stanley," Adam, I'm just trying to help out."

Adam crys out," Please get out! Get out! Get out! Get out!"

I get alarmed,"Adam, Adam, calm down. Try not to upset him. Adam. Adam, calm down. Sir its time to leave."

Adam," Get...get..."

Lexie lefts his hand and holds it," Adam, it's ok... it's okay."

I gasp," What are you doing? Don't touch him. The slightest movement could...put his hand down, gently."

Lexie: I'm so sorry. I forgot."

I sigh in relief," Now step away from the patient and take a couple steps back. You got lucky nothing happened."

Derek walks in," Dr. Grey, take over. Dr.Hayden-Gilmore, a word. (I look at him confused and follow into the hallway) You are a resident now. Your job is to teach interns, not abuse them."

I look at him perplexed," I wasn't. She grabbed his..."

Derek shakes his head," Until you learn to be a teacher and get an attitude check, you will not assist on my surgeries. You will observe them."

I look at him confused," What... Derek, are you serious right now."

Derek says," You can go."

I scoff and walk away.

--------------------------------------------------

Cristina and Meredith are in the cafeteria along with myself.

Cristina sigh," I'm not a bad resident, am I?"

Meredith shrugs," Don't ask me. I lost a patient today."

Cristina," Oh, you kll someone?"

Meredith," Lost. Literally can't find."

Cristina," I was called selfish and competitive. What the hell is wrong with that? I kick ass. I'm an excellent resident."

Meredith," I'm not. In addition to losing my patient, I also lost my intern. Turned around, he was gone. AWOL."

Cristina sighs," See, what... what is wrong with these interns? We weren't like this."

I shake my head," its not the interns with the problems its the attendings."

Meredith smiles," We were great interns."

Cristina,"I was great. You were... you were good."

Izzie and Alex walk up and sit down, and Izzie says," You guys seen Callie?"

Meredith," No. Is it time for her to grind your bones into dust?"

Izzie," You don't think I can take her?"

I just shake my head in disbelief," Are you guys really doing this?"

Izzie: You heard?

Meredith," The whole hospital heard.Well, what are you fighting about?"

Alex sighs," Believe me, you don't want to know."

Izz says warningly," Alex."

I raise my eyebrows, curious.

Alex: I'm just saying, whatever it is, it's not worth it.

Izzie is stretching in the cafeteria" Actually, it is. Some things are worth fighting for. I'm just saying, I learned how to fight in a trailer park. Okay? Where'd she learn to fight, boarding school? Not quite the same thing. (Callie enters the cafeteria)I'm a street fighter. I've got some badass in me. I could take a girl down."

Meredith says," Izzie."

Alex," Punch with your left. Protect your face with your right."

Cristina," No, your hands... protect your surgeon hands. Your face can heal."

I sigh," Or be the bigger person."

Izzie," Here we go."

Callie approaches," Stevens."

Izzie rolls up her sleeves," Let's do this. Let's go. Let's go.

Callie looks confused," Go where?"

Izzie," You know, go."

Callie," I wanted to talk."

Izzie," You want to talk. You don't want to kick my ass?"

Callie," You thought I was gonna fight you? You... (Callie finally realizes how many people are in the cafeteria) That's cr...excuse me. (Callie leaves)."

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Adam's surgery

Lexie is assisting," You think he'll walk again?"

Derek says," It's not impossible. Mm. We have a bleeder. I need you to cauterize the vein, Dr. Grey."

Lexie flustered," Oh, okay. I... I, um... I...I can't find it. I...I...I can't see where it starts. Um... it's coming too quickly."

I got to help," Stop. Suction around it. You have to see where the bleed is coming from first. Follow the flow to the source. Good. Okay, now Bovie it."

Lexie sighs," Got it."

Derek smiles,"Good job. Dr.hayden- gilmore, if you don't mind stepping in?"

I stay back and glare at him while saying in a mocking tone, " No Dr. Grey can handle it if you don't mind I should probably just observe."

Derek looks at me trying to read my face confused on my outburst.

----------------------------------------------------

After the surgery Derek approached me," What was that."

I look at him confused," Are you serious? Lexie lifts his hand and I get nervous that it could harm Adam greatly so I yell at her, and then you pull me aside and say I am doing things wrong. Guess what residents are not meant to be besties with their interns. You need to stop favoring Lexie thinking you will get in good graces with Meredith eventually or whatever you are doing. "

I then walk away and Derek just sighs.

---------------------------------------------------------

Stanley is in his son's room, Lexie walks up to me outside his room.

Lexie," I just wanted to say, um, thank you for...saving my ass today in surgery."

I compose myself and put on a straight face," Well, that's my job. Umm, where are Adam's post-op labs?"

Lexie answers," I'll get them, Dr.Hayden-Gilmore."

I nod and say," thanks

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

108K 3.1K 33
Cassandra Marie Sloan Shepherd or Cassie, she the younger half sister of Derek Shepherd and Mark Sloan. She's a third year resident at Seattle Grace...
86.5K 1.9K 78
Y/n Y/l/n came top of her class in Oxford. She decided to make the drastic move to Seattle so she can become an intern at Seattle Grace. She's always...
6.5K 267 35
*EDITED* sequel to "always enough" when news comes that novella grace develops leukemia, cristina and owen must find a way to care for their child wi...
52.4K 774 32
Isabelle Gilmore, twin of Rory Gilmore. The talented twin in more than one way. Find out how she makes her way through difficult family relationships...