Surviving The New World (Book...

Bởi HaaaayJude

The Saviors have been dismantled and the new world is beginning, but who will lead who? When tensions rise, e... Xem Thêm

Surviving The New World Order
Demotion
We Are Still Negan
Prosthetic Trust
Majority Rules
Tensions Rising
New Leadership
Negan's Secrets
Early Morning Espionage
The Caged Bird
Background Check
A Wolf Amongst Sheep
To Catch A Criminal (TRIGGER WARNING)
Roofie Games
Uninvited Guest
Dirty Deed
Sealing The Deal (SMUT ALERT)
Cracked
Law & Order
The Last Dance
Labor Pains: Part One
Labor Pains: Part Two
Our Little Angel
Thy Will Be Done
Parole
Test Monkey
High Horse
Turning Over A New Leaf
Testimonies
Dancing Through Unwanted Dreams
Carl's Bridge
Stumps and Bruises
Unexpected Company
Fair Share of Monsters
Marriage Counseling
Sensual Apologies (SMUT ALERT)
Pointing Fingers
Guilty Until Proven Innocent
The End is Nigh
Surviving The New World Order
Dear Harper
Helping Those In Need
Rolling Out The Welcome Wagon
Important Decisions
In Strangers We Trust
Home Away From Home
Whispers In The Dark
Family Vacation
A Little Off The Top
Locked Away Memories
Fight For Your Rights
Dine and Dash
Dinner and a Lullaby
The Talk
Cemetery Gates
Laid to Rest
Re-Enlisting
Deployment
Work to Do
Whispering Intel
Lies and Memories
Meeting the Alpha
Feelings of Home
New Beginnings

Bygones

79 8 2
Bởi HaaaayJude

"Hey," Aaron smiled as I entered his office and took a seat in front of his desk. "I haven't heard you two going at it for a while, is he still alive?"

"For now," I smirked.

"Michaela—"

"I get it, I can't kill your VP, but you gotta understand the stress you're puttin' me through. I'm serious, y'all are givin' me stomach ulcers."

"Well, I appreciate you fighting through your tummy problems to help us," Aaron chuckled. "Seriously though, do you think you two are gonna be like that for the rest of your lives?"

"No," I sighed. "As much as I hate it, he's right, he has the right to be in Harper's life, but we both agreed it'd be on her terms and no one else's. So, I'm teachin' 'em all about 'er, hopefully, he'll come up with a way to ease the tension between them and find a way to be involved."

"And ...you're okay with that?"

"I gotta be, it ain't my call."

"You know, we're all surprised at how well Harper is doing, how much independence you give her."

"She's my miracle, my reason for livin', I'd do Anythin' for 'er, even if it means sacrificin' my own happiness."

"You're sacrificing your happiness?"

"Any time I'm with Daryl, yeah." Aaron stared back at me begrudgingly. "I'm sorry, but I'm just bein' honest. It's not gonna take days to get over 'em abandonin' Harper."

"And you."

"Fuck me, Aaron. Harper is the only one that matters. She needed a father and he left. Five fuckin' goddamn years, Aaron. He missed out on birthdays, Christmases, her first haircut, everythin' a parent should be there for and no one knew where the fuck he was." Aaron remained silent. "I was lost when Rick died, but I had a child to take care of, so I went back home."

"Daryl and Rick were close."

"And he and I weren't?"

"I'm not saying that, I'm just—people grieve differently."

"Oh please, Daryl didn't even grieve like that when his brother Merle was killed."

"Sounds like him and Rick were closer then." Aaron flipped a page in his ledger. "I'm not saying kiss and make up, but at least try to understand how he felt when Rick died, try and understand why he did what he did."

"I did, and I thought maybe, just maybe, we could work shit out one day, but then I found out he fucked some bitch in the woods."

"He did?"

"Yeah, he practically admitted it in the woods when we went out with Eugene and Jesus."

"I'm sorry," Aaron sighed. "I didn't know."

"Not a lot of people do. What's done is done, ain't nothin' changin' the past. So, I move on."

"For your sake or Harpers?" Aaron resumed writing in his ledger, leaving me in annoyed silence. Did I move on for Harper or myself?

"What are you writin'?"

"Just daily totals. We need to keep an extra close eye on our supplies since we don't know where the whisperers are."

"Hopefully that'll change after tonight." Aaron glanced up at me. "Daryl and I are secretly lettin' Henry take Lydia from her cell tonight."

"WHAT?"

"Relax, it'll all be under supervision from Daryl and I, she just wont know it."

"Why? Why let her out? All it'll take is for one of you to look away and she'll bolt."

"I don't think she will," I reassured. "Her and Henry have been gettin' close, accordin' to Daryl, so we think lettin' 'em get close to 'er could go in our favor. Maybe she will see that we're not the real threat and we're tryin' to save 'er."

"Okay," Aaron nodded. "I'll allow it, but if things go south, I'm leaving you two responsible."

"Fair enough." Aaron resumed writing. "How is he?"

"He's...trying. For Elijah's sake, he's trying."

"I can't imagine what he's going through."

"I can," Aaron muttered. "It's gonna take some time, but he will come back from this. Never one hundred percent, but he will bounce back." Aaron looked to me. "He doesn't blame you. He knows you had nothing to do with it and knows you did all you could."

"I didn't though...if I wasn't being dragged away, maybe I could've—"

"Stop," Aaron interrupted. "You can't blame yourself, Michaela. It happened, it wasn't your fault. You told him he needed to stay, but he didn't listen. A whisperer killed him, his sense of duty killed him, not you. You understand?" I gently nodded. "You should go see him, I know he would like the company. Get him out of the house, make him do something other than being angry and depressed in his room."

"Okay, but can I use your radio first? I need to call home." Aaron nodded and I made my way across his office and sat down at the small desk where the radio was. I cleared my throat and pressed the button. "Hilltop to Alexandria, do you read?"

"Loud and clear, Hilltop," a voice answered back. I mentally groaned.

"Hello, Dante," I deadpanned.

"Hellooo beautiful. How are you?"

"Is Gabriel there?"

"He went to the bathroom, could be a minute. Something about bad eggs."

"When he's done shittin' himself to death, have him radio me back."

"Is there anything I can do for you?"

"Yeah, your job. Don't ya got sick or injured people to treat?"

"Well, the sick one is shitting his brains out and as for injured, not really. It's a slow night, giving me ample time to spend with the woman in my life."

"I'm sure your hand appreciates you holding it to such a high standard."

"Cute and funny," Dante chuckled. "So, Miss Cute and Funny, what are you wearing?" Before I could respond, a hand reached in front of me and pressed the button.

"Who the fuck is this?" Daryl growled.

"Is that Daryl? Hey, how have you been? It's been a while, eh?"

"Keep your fuckin' shit to your fuckin' self and get Gabriel on the fuckin' line."

"Christ dude, calm down." Dante chuckled.

"Cut the fuckin' shit, dumbass. She just wants to talk to our fuckin' daughter."

"Your daughter?" Dante laughed. "I thought Negan was her Dad, considering I've heard her call him that multiple times." Daryl glared at me and stormed out of the room.

"Nice, Dante," I growled into the radio. "Do ya seriously enjoy being a dick?"

"Sometimes."

"Have Gabriel radio me when he's back. Over and out." I quickly got up and rushed after Daryl, who was already half-way across the property.

"C'mon, Dog," Daryl angrily called our. A few seconds later, Dog appeared at his side with a large stick in his mouth.

"Daryl, wait!" I called out. Daryl stopped and glared at me once more, shook his head, and continued towards the trailers. "Daryl!" When i finally caught up to him, he slammed his door in my face. Without hesitation, I opened the door and let myself in.

"Get the fuck out!" Daryl snarled.

"Daryl—"

"I bet ya feel real good about yourself, huh? Gettin' my fuckin' hopes up only to yank the rug our from under me like that!"

"Daryl, it ain't like that," I argued.

"The fuck it ain't! She wanted y'all to have a kid together, she wants to see 'em every fuckin' day, and you let 'er!"

"Can I please explain?"

"No, you can get the fuck out of my house!" Daryl tried to open the door, but I slammed it shut.

"Daryl Issac Dixon, you will shut the fuck up and let me fuckin' explain or so help me God, I will let the Whisperers turn ya into a fuckin' mask!" Daryl fell silent. "Dante is a fuckin' idiot for tellin' ya that."

"Why? He blow your secret?"

"There is no secret, Daryl. I told ya everythin'."

"Right," Daryl scoffed.

"Dante doesn't take attitude well, he's treated everyone like shit a couple of times. Its his way of stirrin' the pot to create his own fuckin' entertainment. Harper has never called Negan Daddy, Daryl. She ain't even asked if he could be her dad once." Daryl didn't respond. "I don't even know why I try, you're just gonna believe what ya want anyway," I scoffed and opened the door.

"She hasn't?" Daryl asked, desperately trying to see the truth in my words.

"No," I reassured. "She knows you're her father."

"What if she does?"

"Then that means you ain't tryin' hard enough to be in 'er life."

"I would if I fuckin' could."

"I know," I nodded. "I'm givin' 'er a couple days to mourn for Jesus, then I'll talk to 'er, okay? Ya have my word. I know that don't mean shit to you anymore, but it's all I got." Daryl remained silent and I stepped out of the trailer in silence.

"Hey," Daryl softly called out to me from the doorway. "I went huntin' earlier, bagged a couple of rabbits...ya hungry?"

"Daryl—"

"I ain't askin' ya on a date, just...I thought we could sit together and eat together rather than bein' alone for once." Dog quietly whined in the background causing me to softly smile.

"Okay," I gently nodded. "I'm gonna try the radio again and I'll come back. But don't you go thinkin' that this is a step towards us gettin' back together, Daryl, it's just lunch."

~~

"He knows the plan," I reassured.

"He's got that puppy love shit," Daryl scoffed.

"And we didn't?"

"We did, but we were older and not stupid."

"He knows what's at stake, just gotta give 'em a chance."

"Like we gave 'em the chance to behave? He nearly got himself killed."

"You talkin' about that night be snuck out with those shithead kids?" I tittered. "He was tryin' to make friends, peer pressure is a bitch. Besides, if it weren't for him, Elijah could've died. I'm not happy with either of 'em, but I get it." Daryl grunted a response. "Don't tell me ya didn't do stupid shit as a kid."

"I did, but my Dad usually beat my ass for it. I had to grow up quick just so he'd stop wailin' on me. Even then, he found a reason."

"I'm sorry," I mumbled.

"Why?"

"No one deserves to be abused."

"You were."

"Yeah," I sighed.

"Ya don't still think about it, do you?"

"Do you?" Daryl didn't answer. "Then ya know my answer. I think about it every time I see the scars, but every day, I look at Harper, put on my brave face, and keep goin'."

"She ever ask?"

"She ain't seen much of my scars, so not really. She asks about the ones she can see, but she always accepts the bare minimum answer."

"She ever ask about the scar on 'er face?"

"She did once."

"What did ya tell 'er?"

"She got hurt when she was in my tummy. She knows JoJo did it, that he got sick, died, and turned."

"She knows?"

"Like I said, she's exceptionally bright, knows more than average kids her age." Daryl and I watched as the cellar hatch opened. Henry popped his head out and looked around for a moment, and finally helped Lydia out. She frantically looked around as Henry shut the door behind them.

"She's panickin'."

"Shes takin' everythin' in."

"She's lookin' for a way out."

"As she should. Any person would be smart to find an exit in unfamiliar places. Just give it time, we'll step in when we need to." We watched Henry and Lydia as they made their way through the property, quickly ducking down onto the ground behind a trailer as one of the guards passed by.

"She's very sensitive about her scar, so don't bring attention to it."

"How was the call to home?"

"It was...okay. She asked if I killed the people who killed Jesus yet."

"Ya told 'er?"

"It's a threat, she needed to know for safety reasons."

"It ain't right. A kid growin' up in a world like this."

"No, it ain't, but that dream Deana had, she was right, Harper gets to see what this world will become."

"Hopefully it'll be better than before. Less politics and more coexistence."

"Well, look at you, Mr. Anti-Establishment," I chuckled. "I never pegged ya for a hippie."

"I ain't no hippie, just want the lower class to have a chance this time around."

"Calm down, John Lennon. At this rate, one class is all that will be left, the livin' one."

"They're movin'." Daryl motioned to Henry and Lydia as they stood up and continued walking. Daryl and I followed from a distance, keeping to the shadows; we could hear Henry tell Lydia all about Hilltop, how it was made, how long it had been there, how safe it was, I was proud of him, educating her to make her feel a little at ease.

"How did ya know I was callin' Harper earlier?"

"Why else would ya be callin' Alexandria?"

"Also, how did ya know I was callin' home? Were ya spyin' on me?"

"No," Daryl answered. "I was comin' in to talk to Aaron."

"About?"

"He ain't happy with me. He didn't want me to go huntin'—"

"But ya did anyway," I chuckled. "Always up to no good."

"It's the Dixon in me. Merle used to be the trouble maker, not me."

"I can totally see that. You're a lot like 'em, ya know? I mean, besides the drugs."

"Yeah, and I abandoned my kid like 'em too."

"In his defense, he didn't know MJ existed."

"I fucked up, Michaela. I fucked up. I just—we never found a body and I was damn determined that if there was no body, then Rick could still be alive. He saved my life more times than I can count, I just wanted to return the favor, especially after..."

"After y'all got your asses stuck in a hole?" Daryl looked at me with confusion. "Maggie told me. Y'all were plannin' to kill Negan and ya took Rick out of the way to keep 'em from intervenin'. Y'all got stuck in a hole and barely made it out."

"I just couldn't stand the thought of Negan bein' alive anymore, I couldn't stand the thought that, in the back of your mind, ya still loved 'em."

"Is that what ya think?"

"Ya don't gotta deny it, it's obvious."

"Daryl—"

"I ain't mad, hell, I deserve that low blow after what I did to Harper...to you." I fell silent. "If ya wanna get back with 'em, I won't say nothin', but ya can't take my daughter from me, Michaela, ya can't."

"That ain't my choice, Daryl. If she wants to get to know ya, I won't stop it, but if she doesn't, I'm gonna do what she wants. If ya want to make sure she wants to meet ya, gain 'er interest, then 'er trust, the love will soon follow." Daryl gently nodded.

"What the—" Daryl watched as Lydia began to gently rock as she held her head. A baby softly cried in the distance, was that what was triggering her? "Son of a bitch, you was right."

"Put me back in the cell," Lydia softly begged Henry. Henry nodded and put his arm around her, walking her back to her cells, Daryl and I remained where we were.

"So, what now?"

"The seed has been planted," I answered. "She knows what y'all got here and whatever is out there is a lot scarier, we just gotta make 'er see that, make 'er see what good can come of places like this."

"I'll try pushin' 'er tomorrow, ya wanna help?"

"Sure," I gently nodded. The space between us fell silent. "That woman, what was 'er name?"

"Leah."

"She mean anythin'?" Daryl didn't respond. "I hope she did. I moved on, it's only right ya get to as well."

"You ain't mad?"

"I was...but I ain't no more. Bigger fish, right?"

"I never meant any of it to happen."

"Just like I didn't mean to fall for Negan, but, shit happens." I sighed. "It was good while it lasted, right?"

"Yeah," Daryl mumbled. I held my hand out to Daryl, who stared at it with confusion before finally shaking it.

"It's good seein' ya, Daryl." Daryl faintly nodded a response. "Wake me when you're goin' to talk to 'er?"

"Yeah....I'll do that."

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

1.7K 39 6
The zombie Apocolypse could not have come at a worse time for the Grimes/Dixon family. by geekygirl699 on ao3
81.1K 2.4K 25
(Season 9 and up) With Negan and his saviors under control, our communities feel peace for the first time in a while no longer having to answer to Ne...
6.5K 227 28
A nurse who is kind and gentle. And a guy who is fierce and rough. Complete opposites. Daryl Dixon x fem'reader story
298K 5.3K 37
It's hard to survive a world where everything wants to kill you. Every corner you turn, every decision you make, and every breath taken. There's alw...