Erica

By Prickly_Thorns

They say her voice was once bewitching to all who heard it. She was like a siren luring sailors to their deat... More

Erica
×1×
×2×
×3×
×4×
×5×
×6×
×7×
×8×
×9×
×10×
×11×
×12×
×13×
×14×
×15×
×16×
×17×
×18×
×19×
×20×
×21×
×22×
×23×
×24×
×25×
×26×
×27×
×28×
×29×
×30×
×31×
×32×
×33×
×34×
×35×
×36×
×37×
×38×
×39×
×40×
×41×
×42×
×43×
×44×
×45×
×46×
×47×
×48×
×49×
×50×
×51×
×52×
×53×
×54×
×55×
×56×
×57×
×58×
×59×
×60×
×61×
×62×
×63×
×65×
×66×
×67×
×68×
×69×
×70×
×71×
×72×
×73×
×74×
×75×
×76×
×77×
×78×
×79×
×80×
×81×
×82×
×83×
×84×
×85×
Q&A and Acknowledgements
Announcement
Cover Poll

×64×

28.5K 1.7K 77
By Prickly_Thorns

King Aleric slowly drifted out of sleep. He could feel the warmth of the morning sun hitting his face.

A gentle breeze brush by carrying a soft melody. The tune was so beautiful and so calming he was tempted to fall back into his peaceful slumber.

His mind immediately shot to the events that happened. His thoughts became flooded with her fleeting image.

Erica.

He must find her.

He needed to find her. What on earth was he doing resting?

He tried to force his eyes open, but they were still swollen shut and a think peace of material was keeping them that way. He began to panic not thinking straight.

"Shh it's okay. Your eyes should be able to open within the next few hours, I've just covered them with some medicinal herbs." The gentle voice from moments ago appeared near him.

"I'm sorry, but I need to go." Aleric reached for the cloth covering his eyes.

Soft hands stopped him by clasping his own, "Don't. You need to recover."

"Miss, I thank you for your kindness and help but I really need to be on my way." Aleric's voice was stern and unreasoning.

"At least wait a bit longer before you do. Whatever you are allergic to needs to completely pass through your system."

Aleric wanted to frustratingly grumble but he saw reason in this kind stranger's words. He anxiously complied with her and agreed to wait for a while.

Whoever she was, he would have to compensate her generously for her help but first he needed to find Erica.

Erica watched the man before her relieved that he would wait for a bit longer to allow her natural remedies to take full effect. She had picked up a few tricks from her time staying with Ron.

One of Ron's regular patients seemed to have a body that was allergic to almost everything and was a constant part of Ron's daily jobs. Ron had numerous remedies and concoctions ready for almost any type of allergic system that the poor man would get from an outbreak of hives to bad hay fever.

Erica was fortunate to help the sweet old physician when it came to mixing most these and was quick to learn some of the key ingredients. Some of which were what appeared to be common weeds that could easily be found on most forest floors.

Her little mix that she had applied to Aleric's eyes was not quite complete, but she hoped it would do just enough and bring down the swelling.

Erica had been nervous about remaining with Aleric. The moment he had stirred, she had been so ready to bolt but his panicked state kept her rooted to the ground. She felt her chest ache and knew that she could not leave him.

She prayed that he would not recognise her. She was fortunate enough to have never said a word to him before so as far as Aleric knew, she was still mute.

Erica planned to leave and give herself a head start before Aleric removed the material blocking his eyes. She planned to leave last minute.

Unfortunately, Erica underestimated one thing. King Aleric was a very determined man and in his anxious state to find her, his patience was running thin.

Before even ten minutes had even passed, he slowly and cautiously began to lift the material up. His eye lids began to crack open allowing the bright sunlight to drift in.

Erica had her back to him momentarily while she unknowingly hummed a soft melodious tune. Her voice was as pure as ever and almost made her seem as if she was not a part of this world.

Aleric's eyes found her form within seconds originally planning to thank her and leaving but when he saw her, his breath hitched.

In that very moment all he could think about was how beautiful she was.

Slowly Erica turned around. Without thinking and worried about being caught staring, Aleric quickly pulled the material back down.

He did not know why he did it, why he did not just face her and talk to her. Perhaps he did not want her to know that he knew it was her and have her runaway again...

"You should be able to see again soon." Erica softly spoke noticing his slight fidgeting.

Aleric's heart was beating so loudly in his ears that he could barely hear her. All he could think about was how close she was to him. His senses became overwhelmed by her.

"Um... If you don't mind me asking, who are you?" Aleric tried to hold back from blurting out her name. He needed to remind himself to proceed with caution.

There was a brief silence. Aleric wondered if she was still there and was tempted to remove the cloth again to check.

"No one of importance..." Her reply was so soft that it was almost inaudible.

Aleric's heart ached. He wanted to scream just how important she was, but his words were lodged in his throat.

"You have helped me. Please at least let me know your name?" He wanted her to confirm her identity, he wanted her to tell him what he already knew.

Erica smiled, it was a sad smile, and she knew he could not see it. All she wanted to do was tell him who she was but a bigger part of her was afraid of what might happen.

She was afraid that she might get hurt again and she did not want to be especially from him.

The wind began to pick up speed and a grumbling could be heard in the distance. The sky was beginning to darken as large thunder clouds began to blow in.

"We should take shelter." Erica mumbled and reached down to help Aleric up.

She started to gather everything and saddled the horse. Her fingers were nervously fumbling over the straps as the thunder began to get louder.

She started to have unwanted flashbacks of her accident on that stormy night. Her breathing became short and raspy as fear began to cloud her senses.

Aleric was quick to notice the change. He could tell something was not right.

Erica was close enough for him to reach. Slowly he stretched out a hand in the direction that he could hear her shuffling from.

Erica nearly jumped out of her skin when a warm hand came into contact with her shoulder. Being so consumed by her fear, she had momentarily forgotten about him.

Fastening the last strap, she gently removed his hand and placed it up against the saddle.

"Will you be able to mount?" Her voice was a little shaky no matter how hard she tried to make it seem strong.

Aleric was concerned but slowly nodded and navigated his way up. He then waited expectantly for her, but nothing happened.

"Will you not mount?"

"It will be better if I lead." She nervously replied still out of it.

"It will be faster if we ride together." Aleric stated shifting back in the saddle.

Erica looked around wide eyed and on guard before nodding even though she knew that he could not see her in his current state.

Slowly she placed her hand on the magnificent creature's mane and placed her foot in the stirrup before pulling herself up and in front of Aleric.

Immediately they were both engulfed by each other's warmth. Aleric could not resist himself and slowly wrapped his arms around her waist pulling her back into his chest.

It felt so right.

Erica momentarily froze at the action but reasoned with herself that it was just him holding on.

They began making their way to find shelter. Aleric held on tighter. He knew that he never wanted to let her go.

Erica was unaware of it but he had calmed her down. She was no longer afraid. She felt safe in his arms.

Slowly the first few drops of rain began to fall. They needed to hurry if they wanted to find shelter.

Unfortunately, the rain did not wait for anyone soon began pelting down. The two of them were soon completely drenched to the bone.

Just as all hope was lost to escape the horrid weather, Erica spotted a shallow cave. She was quick to make a direct line to it. It was large enough for the horse to walk in with ease.

She quickly dismounted almost disappointed at the loss of warmth of being in Aleric's arms. She was about to help him, but he was quite capable.

She then guided him to sit down against the cave wall and sat next to him pulling her knees to her chest.

The rain was pouring and there was no were else to go. They would have to sit out the storm.

Aleric slowly shifted closer to her.

"You are shivering." He stated.

"I will be okay." She tried to reassure him.

Aleric was having none of it and was quick to pull her into his arms. Erica yelped in fright.

"We should share body heat before you get sick." Came his excuse.

The main reason for him doing that was not only to keep her warm but because he could not resist.

He truly was a love-struck fool...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

119 15 13
Defiance. Resilience. Those are the traits that are not appreciated from the lower class. Keep you head down, keep quiet, and do your job. That was a...
392 22 21
"Fayre, Fayre" someone was calling as I ran "Catch me mama" I called laughing "Stop running, you'll fall" ....... And the voice faded away while I k...
1.1K 28 34
"Kill Her! Kill Her! Do it!" Her screams echoed in my mind. The crazed look on her face seared into my memory. ...
32.1M 909K 56
[WINNER OF BEST HISTORICAL FICTION STORY IN THE FICTION AWARDS] There is a story that has been whispered into ear after ear across many countries. It...