2. THIS IS ONLY THE BEGIN. ST...

By FeniceAlbatros32

SEQUEL TO "THIS IS ONLY THE BEGINNING. STORY OF AN ENDING NEVER TOLD' Present, past and future mingle in this... More

BEFORE STARTING THIS STORY...
DEDICATED TO YOU...
1. Memories of an unforgettable summer
2. Boarding!
3. With Yildiz under the stars
4. First day of school
5. Storm of emotions
6. So equal and so different
7. Agency or nursery?
8. Deren Keskin
9.Husband's club... or almost
10. The fateful dress rehearsal
11. Fate upsets the balance
12. Truth or Lie?
13. Magical Nights
14. Officially Mrs Cehver
15. Writing is what saves us
16. Muzo's decision
17. Chaos in the family
18. Hidden truths
19. A past that still hurts
20. Scent of trouble
21. Open eyes
22. If there was no Mihriban
23. Muzo B-Day, no bad day!
24. An upside-down day
25. In the right place, at the right time
26. The grandmother
27. Weekend with friends
29. Thoughts, clarifications and twists
30. Timing game
31. Stubborn
32. Let destiny take its course
34. The birthday curse
35. Celebrations
36. The calm before the storm
37. Time bomb
38. Valley of Tears
39. Sisters
40. The Cehver Plan
41. Disturbing discoveries
42.Love has no criteria
43. Stories of a not too distant future (FINAL CHAPTER)

28. Suspects

363 30 7
By FeniceAlbatros32

After a quiet Sunday spent in the company of Osman, Adile, the baby, Cey Cey and Ayhan, a new busy week began. Can was still a little angry with Sanem over the Deren affair.

Monday arrived and he hoped to distract himself a little by concentrating on the much work going on, but when he reached the office that morning, after saying goodbye to his wife, heading downstairs, he found Deren there.

She was sitting comfortably on his sofa. Through the glass windows he noticed that his brother Emre had not yet arrived.

Both had arrived earlier than usual.

Deren was anxiously waiting for him.

When Can entered, he did not notice her immediately. Only when he reached his desk chair did he realise who was in front of him.

"Good morning." Deren greeted him.

"Good morning... Deren? What are you doing here? What's going on? Is there a problem?" asked Can in bursts.

It was not like her to wait in his office.

Deren got up and closed the door.

"We need to talk." she said.

"From the look on your face, it doesn't look good." Can commented, observing her serious expression.

"Listen, if there are any problems with any projects, give me time to turn on the PC to check two things and then let's have a meeting right away, alright?" said Can quickly putting his hands up.

"No, Can, don't worry it's not about work. I need to talk to you about something else." Deren replied seriously.

"Now you worry me... What's going on?" he asked frowning.

"Come." she said motioning for him to sit next to her.

Can silently obeyed.

He looked at her and then asked puzzled: "Is Bulut alright?"

"Bulut? Of course he is fine! Why would he be sick?" she asked rhetorically.

"OK, then talk, don't keep me on tenterhooks." Can urged her.

"Well, I don't know where to start..." admitted Deren.

"From the beginning... I think it will be easier." he replied sarcastically.

"Here... Can Saturday I noticed your expression... it wasn't that different from mine." she began.

"My expression? What was wrong with my expression? What are you referring to Deren?" asked Can increasingly confused.

"I think you also thought the same thing I think..... About Hatay." she said shyly.

"Hatay? Deren, seriously you closed the door of my office to talk about Hatay?" asked Can.

"Can... don't you understand?!" blurted Deren.

"What don't I understand?" he asked in turn.

"Ugh...you men.... Can but are you serious? Don't tell me the surname Yuksel doesn't mean anything to you at all..." said Deren.

"Ah... that... you say."

"Huh, what else?" she replied rhetorically.

"See, for a moment I admit I thought about it, but you heard, didn't you? It can't be her. It's a coincidence. Let's not stare at each other's heads." he immediately replied.

"A strange coincidence though... don't you think so?" asked Deren of her.

"I mean, as soon as I heard that last name pronounced, the blood froze in my veins. I thought the past was knocking on our door again." said Deren touching her chest.

"And the story?" he then added.

"A woman in prison giving birth, and deeming her son such a mistake that she gave him that name." she continued.

"But she might have made it up... and then there's not just her with that surname in the world." Can continued, knowing who she was referring to.

"In the world surely not, but what are the chances in a prison?" mused Deren.

Can at this remained silent.

"One minute!" exclaimed Deren then.

"How old did you say Hatay is?" she asked.

"10..." replied Can as he began to mentally count along with her.

"And when was Aylin arrested?" she asked.

Can began to count.

"9 years?" asked Deren confirmation.

"9 years or so yes..." confirmed Can.

"Did you see that? Come back!" she exclaimed more and more convinced.

"Deren... don't panic. It's true, by now we're used to always being suspicious of everything that happens to us... but I think we're going too far now. You're spending too much time with my wife, playing the lady in yellow. Enough of these mysteries." he blurted out.

"Because Sanem has an eye!" she exclaimed "She has instincts and is never wrong about these things." Deren replied.

"One minute..." she then thought. "Is Sanem investigating something, by any chance? What's going on? What mysteries? She already guessed it, didn't she?" asked Deren.

"Then I'll go and talk to her. I will have more satisfaction." she said getting up.

"Deren... Deren... don't be silly, wait." stopped her Can.

"Calm down. Come here, sit down, where are you going?" he asked her.

"If you came to me it means you wanted to talk to me about it, right?" reminded him Can.

"Yes, but if you don't believe me, what's the point of continuing the conversation?" she replied with a hand already ready on the door.

"Let me ask you a question." she then said assuming a professional pose, hands on her hips. Like a true creative director.

"Maybe he isn't, but if he was...if Hatay was his son...with that name and age...who do you think the father might be?" she tried to make him think.

"Think about it! I haven't slept all night for that, and a name in mind I have unfortunately." replied Deren.

"No, you're wrong..." he denied strongly, realising.

"Get your brain working a bit, Can! Who had a long history with Aylin, before her arrest?" she insisted.

"I think the answer is simple." replied Deren as she left the office.

Can wanted to stop her, and ask not to talk to Sanem, already intrigued in another mystery... but Deren's words reverberated in his mind and for a moment, just a moment he thought:

"If it were true, Emre could be Hatay's father..." Realising what this entailed, without a second thought, he dialled a number on his phone.

A strong, deep voice answered on the other end. "Hello? Mr Can?"

MEANWHILE DOWNSTAIRS...

"Good morning!" she smilingly greeted her co-workers Sanem as she reached her office. As soon as she entered she found Ayhan and Deniz inside.

"Ah, good morning girls! What a coincidence! I was going to call you any minute." she said, putting down her bag and immediately turning on her PC.

"So we have to send some samples to the lab, and today we'll get some important approvals for the next summer line of creams. We will also have a meeting up at Fikri Harika to approve the latest drafts of the packaging. So I need you to keep me informed of every step. Whatever news there is today, pass it on to me immediately, OK? I have to run upstairs from Can for some work. Also, where is Muzo? Has he not arrived yet?" she asked looking around.

"Have you seen him?" she asked.

"Um... Sanem, I don't think he will come.... For a while." Deniz replied shyly.

"Why? What else happened?" she asked.

"Well, we know about the argument he had with Can." replied Ayhan.

"Papa Nihat, after giving him an earful, took him home. And..." she said.

"And... there at the door was me waiting. I had to talk to him." replied Deniz.

"I had realized that something was wrong. And seeing him run away like that... I decided to join him." continued.

Together with Nihat we entered the house, and once he calmed down, he left him in my hands. At the end I forced him to start a therapeutic course with me." explained Deniz.

"Ah..." commented Sanem.

"Yeah, and that's why I asked Ayhan for help. She will help me keep him good. Cey Cey will also do his part." she added.

"OK, but what does that have to do with work? I mean, there's a book being published... he can't give up work for that." replied Sanem.

"How? Didn't Can tell you?" asked Ayhan.

"I thought you knew and agreed..." she admitted, blinking in surprise.

"Can pushed Muzo away until he solves his problems once and for all. No agency, no Sanem and no book." she reported.

"What are you saying?" asked Sanem surprised. "What? What...when did this happen? Why do I find out now? "she wondered.

"I don't know, but that's not all, he even passed his 1% shares to Cey Cey." added Ayhan.

"How can he decide for me? How can he not have told me, huh? He can't stop Muzo from publishing the book!" exclaimed Sanem angrily.

"I'm going to talk to him now!" she said as she started towards the door.

"Sanem... " Ayhan called to her, preventing from leaving.

"Can is right. And your father agrees with him too..." she reported.

"And to be honest, we agree too." she admitted.

"Muzo cannot work under these conditions, or sooner or later he will jeopardise everyone's work, and especially your image." Ayhan reasoned her.

"Do you understand why your husband did this?" asked Deniz.

"I know Can is protective, but I don't understand why he didn't tell me, acting behind my back." Sanem said furiously.

"To protect you, Sanem! Because in order to help you, you are willing to put yourself at risk. And that is both a good and a condemnation. Can, and your father are being tough because they know you." Deniz explained to her.

"Muzo needs calm and quiet, and as his therapist, for the success of the treatment, I ask you to stay away from him. Don't call him, don't look for him... let the therapy take its course and you will see that he will look for you." said Deniz decisively.

"Alright..." Sanem replied simply.

"Alright? Really? You won't make a fuss?" asked Deniz.

"I said alright." she replied testily looking her straight in the eyes.

"OK, then we need to ask you one more thing." said Ayhan.

"Ask." she replied with a sigh.

"Here, for the therapy we need to leave work early, until he is cured, so at a time to be determined, we will not be in the office."

"What, you're leaving me alone?" She asked. "And how will I do ?"

"You have Burak and Cey Cey who will never leave you. You can rest assured. They will take care of everything." Deniz reassured her.

"And what will you do with him?" asked Sanem.

"I will try to make him deal with his relationship with Guliz." replied Deniz.

"And I the relationship with his mother. I think being abandoned was a trauma for him." added Ayhan.

"All right, look, I want to be informed of his every progress." Sanem replied.

"Alright, sister." replied Ayhan.

"Sorry but I really have to go now." she added as she ran off.

"Where?" asked Ayhan.

"To the meeting." she replied.

Arriving at the top of the stairs she found Cey Cey.

"Ah, Sanem I was just looking for you." he said transfixed.

"I know, Cey Cey, the meeting... I know, I'm on my way." she said rolling her eyes.

"No, here...I mean, yes, but...we have an emergency. You have to replace Mr Can in the meeting." he said.

"Replace?" asked Sanem.

"Replace, yes." he confirmed.

"Why? Where is Can?" asked Sanem.

"I don't know, he left in a hurry, he didn't tell me. He just informed that he would be late, and to be replaced by you and Deren." explained Cey Cey briefly.

"Ufff... right now?!" blurted out Sanem.

"Why? Love problems?" asked Cey Cey raising and lowering his eyebrows with a mischievous look.

"Cey Cey..." began Sanem glaring at him. Then squinting her eyes into two slits she approached him.

"I know very well that you are in cahoots with Ayhan and Deniz about Muzo..." she said.

"But Sanem, I..." tried to retort Cey cey.

"Open your ears wide, Cey cey. Tell to the dear Can Divit that when he comes back, I want to talk to him UR-GEN-TLY!" she said pointing her finger at him.

"And don't you dare tell him on what subject... don't you dare! Or I'll make a bad quarter of an hour for you and him!" she exclaimed angrily, overtaking him to reach the office.

"Ah! All this negative charge is not good for you, Sanem... ah, I can feel it in my whole body right now." said Cey Cey trembling.

When Sanem entered the meeting room, the participating Fikri Harika members were already present. Sanem sat at the head of the table in Can's place, looking angry and hurried.

Her sister, Emre, Metin and Deren looked at her.

"Sanem?" asked Deren as soon as she saw her enter.

"Where is Can?" she asked looking over the door.

"He will not participate. I'm filling in for him." she replied finally looking up from the files she alliened by slamming them vigorously on the table.

"Sister all right?" Leyla asked tactfully.

Sanem glowered at her. He immediately noticed the thunderbolts leaking from her eyes, and only replied: "Alright." returning in silence.

A few minutes later the clients arrived and the meeting began. Sanem was professional and competent as usual. At the end, Deren approached her to congratulations. Sanem thanked her, and once they were alone, she tried to talk to her about the Hatay matter, but she was too nervous to listen, so she quickly dismissed her by telling she had an urgent engagement. She went back downstairs to take care of the rest, locked himself in her office without going out for hours.

Suddenly there was a soft knock at the door.

Sanem looked up. It was Burak.

"Come Burak." Sanem replied coldly.

"Sanem, Can has just returned to your office..... You asked me to report it to you." he said shyly.

"Perfect, I thank you." she said getting up. "Take these to the archive while you're at it. And don't anyone dare come into our office now. Pass the word! Am I clear?" she asked seriously.

"Crystal clear, I'll report right away." he replied, returning to his work.

Sanem walked briskly out of the office. As she reached the lift she found Ayhan.

"Sanemsi..." she tried to stop her.

"Not now Ayhan." she replied decisively, overtaking her like a train.

She took the lift and went up, once in the agency at a brisk and determined pace, with thunderbolts in her eyes, she reached the office. Can was sitting at his desk.

She entered without knocking, closing it noisily behind her.

As soon as Can saw her, he lit up with a smile. "My love... I just heard." he said.

"Sorry I didn't attend the meeting." he added, getting up to walk towards her.

Stopping there in front of him with breathlessness, not from running, but from suppressed anger, she immediately exclaimed: "How dare you, huh!" "How can you think of doing such a thing! Huh?!!!"

Can froze.

He closed his eyes and sighed.

"Love... it was Deren, wasn't it?" he asked. "Deren told you everything, didn't she?"

"Ah, Deren knows too then? Great!" exclaimed Sanem like a fury.

"I bet the whole office knows but me, doesn't it?" she blurted out.

"Because who am I after all, eh? Nobody, right?" she continued.

"Love what are you talking about, you're my whole life!" replied Can.

"Sure...right. Your life..." replied Sanem with a sarcastic half smile.

"Look, I would have told you about it, alright?" he started to say.

"You would have told me about it? Ah! But thank you, what an honour, Mr Can Divit! Because I don't count for anything after all, right?"

"What are you saying, Sanem?" he replied frowning confused.

"What am I saying?!" she shouted.

"How dare you make decisions for me, huh? On MY writing job how dare you interfere, huh?" ranted Sanem with eyes of fire.

Can remained petrified. His brow furrowed.

"Who are you to decide to interrupt a collaboration of mine, huh? Tell me, Can!" she shouted.

"Have I ever done that with you? Have I ever dared to tell you who you could or could not work with? Have I ever dared to interrupt a collaboration that had already started without your knowledge? In your name? No! I never have! And I never will!" exclaimed Sanem.

Can understood that he was referring to Muzo.

"Listen, Sanem... calm down." he said trying to get closer to her.

Sanem kicked away his hands that were trying to calm.

Can was hurt by her refusal, but tried to calm her down anyway.

"Love, listen... Muzo needs serious help! And you are too good to him!" he said.

"It's true! I am good, OK? And maybe naive too. I am like that!" said Sanem with a shrug. "I always have been. For me, you can never be too good!" she added.

"Are you jealous by any chance?" she then asked, attacking him.

"Jealous? Me? Of Muzo? How many times have I told you it's not like that!" repeated Can irritably.

"I swear it doesn't sound like that at all." retorted Sanem crossing her arms.

"Sanem, I'm not." repeated Can with a sigh.

"Then WHY? Huh? WHY did you speak to Muzo on my behalf and tell him that he would not publish his book? Huh? And why did you give his percentage to Cey Cey, huh?" she attacked him.

"Was there any need for all this? Are you happy now that you took over everything?" she insisted.

"I didn't take control of anything." Can replied.

"Oh, no! I found myself with a fait accompli for the umpteenth time and you say you didn't take control, is that it?" ranted Sanem.

"Sanem, sometimes you are too good! And when I see people taking advantage of your goodness, it is my job to protect you. I am your husband!" she reminded him.

"I don't need to be protected, OK? I can take care of myself!" Sanem replied.

"Can, don't hide behind the excuse of protecting because it no longer attacks. When you do that, you go back to being the old possessive Can! You clearly haven't learnt anything from the past!" she exclaimed like a fury.

"If you want I'll tell you again, since you show that you don't know me. Nice to meet you, I am Sanem Aydin and I don't like accomplished facts! I don't like people who make decisions for me! Neither by a stranger nor by my husband!" she shouted angrily.

"Sanem, Muzo made you suffer." he recalled.

"Can you be talking about an incident you didn't even witness! You only acted on hearsay!" she exclaimed furiously.

"But it was true!" he exclaimed, getting nervous.

"It's true, I was hurt. I don't deny it, but Muzo, who already needs help, didn't deserve all this." Sanem took his side.

"Sanem why do you insist on helping him, huh? Do you like being treated like this?" he asked nervously.

"You don't understand... And maybe never will understand, it seems. It's a pity... it's really a pity." she replied with a disappointed look.

"A pity for what?" asked Can.

"A pity that you, despite saying otherwise, you have remained exactly the same! If anyone needs help here, it's you!" she exclaimed.

Sanem headed for the door. Ready to open it.

"Sanem, don't be like that... he had made you suffer and I don't allow anyone to make you suffer." he continued.

Sanem looked at him: "You say you don't allow anyone to hurt me? Huh? Then you should talk to yourself, because the only person who is making me suffer more than you can imagine, is only you, right now!" she said.

Then smiling, said: "You will never have control over me! And no one but me will ever have it! You are not my master. Now watch and learn how much control you have over me!!" she said as she left, slamming the glass door violently.

The whole agency jolted, everyone's eyes on Sanem who was leaving at a brisk pace.

Deren, Bulut, Burak, Emre and Leyla immediately came out of their offices.

"Sister!" called Leyla. Sanem did not turn around.

"My God... I haven't seen a fight like this in years." Ayhan commented open-mouthed as she saw Sanem come out.

She was unapproachable.

"I've seen them fight... but I don't think I've ever seen them fight like this in their entire history." commented Cey Cey beside her at the counter. "I feel some bad energies around." he admitted, pulling out Allah's eye to sanitise the air a little.

Then Ayhan commented: "Ah, sister.... ah. I told you not to do that..."

"What's going on?" asked Deren worriedly.

"I don't know." replied Emre, both of them standing outside their office doors.

"I'm going to my brother." he said.

Emre went back into his office, and from there through the inner door, he reached his brother.

He was sitting on the sofa, his face covered by his hands. His knees were wobbling with nervousness.

"Brother? What happened?" asked Emre.

"We had a fight, alright?!" He grumbled again nervously. "You all surely heard it anyway. What's the need to ask?" he said.

"Alright, alright, brother..." replied Emre, raising his hands in surrender.

"Calm down." he added.

"What did you fight about? Let's hear it. Let it out. I am here. I'm listening." he said as he sat down beside him.

"Why did Sanem leave like that?" he asked.

"Nothing, that's it... she heard what I reported to Muzo, when I took him back for making her suffer." Can replied curtly.

"Ah, for making her cry, you say?" asked Emre.

"Exactly." he confirmed.

"I was not present in the office, and when I heard Ayhan talking to Cey Cey about it, I was at a loss and called Papa Nihat to tell me where he lived. I caught up with him, but found him at the little park nearby." he recounted briefly.

"And what exactly did you tell him? I mean, what exactly were the words that infuriated Sanem so much, brother? I've never seen her furious like that. Not even in the past." he admitted.

"Muzo, it made her cry, and when I told him to stop with that cheeky attitude of his, and with that sly smirk on his face, I told him that until he solved his problems, he shouldn't show his face at the agency, at the Sanem, and that his book might as well forget about it." said Can.

"Brother..." commented Emre dumbfounded.

"What?" he asked.

"Are you serious?" he asked.

Can glowered at him.

"Brother, don't look at me like that." said Emre. "You did the one thing Sanem hates... confronting her with a fait accompli!" said Emre.

"Now I understand why she was so angry. Look even I get it." he added.

"Don't start Emre." his brother cheered him.

"Oh, of course I'll start! What has gotten into you, huh? How can you tell Muzo that he will not continue the book with Sanem? It's not your job." he pointed out to him.

"Emre, Muzo is not well, and Sanem is too good! He is taking advantage of it! Sanem wouldn't say no even to a fly, you know that. That's why I did it! Sometimes you need someone to bang the fist on the table." he said.

"Brother, I understand your gesture, you didn't do it out of malice, you did it to protect her, OK, but... so from right, you go to wrong, and look! What did you get out of it? A big fight." Emre said, pointing to the door.

"Your wife stormed out." he concluded.

"She'll get over it. She'll understand that I was right." replied Can seriously.

"She'll get over it?" he repeated. "You're not going to do anything about it then?" he asked.

"Emre, she needs to cool off, and so do I, please." Can begged him.

"What do you mean, brother! You're not going after her?" Emre blurted out.

"No, I won't go after her. It means that when Sanem bangs her head on it, she'll understand." replied Can as he stood up.

"Ah, is that so?" he asked.

"It is so." Can stubbornly replied.

"Then why didn't you let her bang our heads from the start, without interfering, huh?" he asked her.

Can stared at him in silence.

"Brother, really, when you act like that, I don't understand you." he admitted.

"Why are you being possessive, huh? Don't you trust Sanem? Wasn't what you experienced in the past enough for you? How many more times do you have to bang your head to understand that, huh?" blurted Emre.

"My sister-in-law is very smart, she knows very well when to approach or push a person away. Don't you remember with Yigit?" he said.

"I remember how long it took for her to realize what kind of man he was!" Can recalled.

"Because he was one way with you and another way with her, that's why it took her so long. But when she realised, what did she do?" he tried to reason with him.

Can remained silent.

"Didn't she push him away for good?" insisted Emre.

"Yes." replied Can simply.

"So what? Isn't that what's important?" he added.

"Yes, but why wait for him to suffer when you can put a stop to it right away, eh? I mean, why doesn't she trust me?" he asked.

"Ah, brother.... Again with this trust, trust, trust." snorted Emre rolling his eyes.

"What about respect instead?" he asked. "Brother dear, in a marriage, there is that too, not just trust. And you my dear, this time, you disrespected her, invading her space, even interfering in her work as a writer. Tell me, you even became a writer and I don't know?" he ended the sentence jokingly.

"Emre, don't joke. I'm not in the mood." Can replied.

"I mean, ok give your judgement for the agency and the Sanem, after all you are partners in both, but of her writing work, are you, by any chance, her manager? I don't think so." he said.

Then he looked at him.

"And may it not cross your mind!" Emre scolded him, pointing her finger at him.

"You have your pictures and she has her writing. I mean, has she ever interfered on your behalf with the photographer's agency, for example? No. Not that I know of at least." he corrected himself.

"It's not the same thing." Can replied.

"How 'isn't it the same thing', brother? Don't be stubborn! You're being a wayward child right now!" he resumed.

"You don't want to admit you're wrong, but you'll figure it out." Emre replied, nodding.

"Anger is clouding your brain right now." he added.

"When something upsets you, you rage, and attack without thinking."

Can turned sharply to look at him.

"Behind all this, there's something else bothering you too, isn't there?" asked Emre.

"How do you know?" asked Can worriedly.

"Because when you get to these levels, it's usually because you're hatching something inside. Something you can't or won't externalize, and that wears you down inside, until you explode unjustly." he examined him.

"Wow, I didn't know I was a lab subject..." commented Can, hinting at a smile.

"Years and years of study." joked Emre. "Am I wrong?" he asked.

"No." replied Can as he returned to sit on the sofa.

"That's right, have a seat, you better get it out of your system or someone will pay the price."

"Tell me Mr. Can Divit, what is it that upsets you so much?" said Emre with a psychologist's manner.

"Emre..." pronounced Can with a conflicted sigh.

"Ouch, the matter is more serious than I imagined." he commented seeing his brother's gloomy expression.

"I have to tell you something, but I don't know how to tell you." Can admitted in distress.

"Brother, you're scaring me though. Speak." he urged him.

Can began to tell him Hatay's story until he reached the crucial point.

"I mean, I don't know if this is the right time to tell you, maybe I should wait until I have evidence in hand, but... I also think you should be ready, just in case..." he said dropping the sentence.

"What are you saying brother? What does this have to do with me?" asked Emre.

"Here, it's just Deren's theory, OK? So take it with a grain of salt." he warned him.

"Here, according to Deren, Hatay could be Aylin's son." said Can.

"Hatay is Aylin's son?" asked Emre with wide eyes.

"That's it, we don't have proof, but... if you think about his history, his mother in prison, who didn't want him, who gave him that name as a trademark for life, who rejected him because an obstacle, and who turns out to be registered at the registry office with the surname Yuksel (although we don't know if the surname was really put by her.) admitted Can.

"There, actually if you put all these things together, it's easy to think so." he added.

"OK... OK, but what do I have to do with this?" stammered Emre in shock.

"Brother, get your head working a bit." Can urged him.

Emre thought in silence.

"Hatay is ten years old." Can began. "And you were with her until just before her arrest." he said.

"She gave birth in prison... well, actually, she did everything she could to lose him, but in the end the baby was born healthy and strong." said Can.

Emre realized.

"Hatay could be my son, is that what you are saying?" asked Emre.

"There, I don't know for sure of course, but it was Deren who put the flea in my ear. I admit I didn't really think about it." said Can.

"That's why I wasn't in the meeting this morning. I contacted someone who will give us confirmation or not." he explained.

"No... no, I mean..... It can't be. It's not like Aylin not to tell me anything. You know that too, don't you? She would definitely do anything to make my paternity known if that was the case, she wouldn't let an opportunity like that pass her by. Especially in prison." thought Emre on the verge of a breakdown.

"Well, I too thought the same thing at the time, but we know what that woman is capable of. I mean, we can expect anything from her." Can replied.

"Unless she's up to something bigger." he then added.

"What are you thinking about?" asked Emre.

"Well, in this whole story, if it were true, there's one part that doesn't add up for me." Can admitted.

"Which is? Brother spit it out." asked Emre agitatedly.

"Because Aylin who wanted to lose the baby at all costs, decided to keep it, even naming it. Doesn't that sound strange?" he reflected.

"Well, actually..." admitted Emre.

"Unless she kept it for a very specific purpose." Can mused.

"And what?" asked Emre.

"I don't know, but we'll soon find out." said Can patting his brother comfortingly.

"Sorry, if I've ruined your day, but I think you should know, I mean... you'll have to think about the consequences if this turns out to be true. You know what I'm referring to, right? With Leyla and all...' Can said.

Emre realised at that moment.

He widened his eyes in terror.

"My God... what if it's true... how do I tell Leyla?" he asked, putting his hands in his hair.

"That's why I was unsure whether to tell you now or with the confirmation in hand, brother, I didn't want to agitate you ahead of time, but... now." he said.

"No, no, brother, you did right, in fact, I thank you. It's just that my head is now bursting. I don't know what to do. I have to think." he said touching his head.

"My head's exploding too, brother." Can said.

"What do you say if me, you, and Dad go for a boat ride for a few days, huh?" he asked.

"Dad!" exclaimed Emre, putting his hands in his hair again.

"How am I going to tell Dad if it's true? He'll kill me!"

"If Leyla doesn't do it first." commented Can.

"Ah, thanks brother, you're helpful." Emre replied.

"If you don't want Dad, you and I can go." Can replied.

"I can't leave Leyla alone with Ilker." he thought.

"I'm sure Sanem will call her sister. They will all stay together." replied Can.

"Two days will be enough, you'll see. Volkan will be quick to find what we need, so we'll come back with an answer." thought Can.

"I don't know brother. Let me think about it, OK?" asked Emre.

"Come on, let's go to the gym then. We need to blow off some steam." he said getting up from the couch.

"What about work?" asked Emre.

"Leyla and Deren will take care of that. Come on." he said. Urging him to get up.

"Alright." he replied confused and shaken.

_________________________________

Hello readers :)

Thank you for reading the 28th chapter of the story.

Are you ready? The plot thickens.

Until the next chapter. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

131K 5.8K 28
Sanem became the woman she didn't want to be. Can became the man he didn't want to be. *****MATURE CONTENT*****
33.9K 2.9K 28
Sanem lost her parents and older sister in a car accident when she was only eight. Mirhiban, the wife of Aziz Divit, the owner of the hotel where San...
90.1K 6K 43
10 minutes can be an eternity or a blink of an eye depending on where you're standing. For Sanem Aydin it was all the time it took to loose what she...
44.5K 2.4K 29
Snippets of alternate outcomes in the lives and enduring love story of Can Divit and Sanem Aydin. When I started out with this story, I only intended...