2. THIS IS ONLY THE BEGIN. ST...

By FeniceAlbatros32

SEQUEL TO "THIS IS ONLY THE BEGINNING. STORY OF AN ENDING NEVER TOLD' Present, past and future mingle in this... More

BEFORE STARTING THIS STORY...
DEDICATED TO YOU...
1. Memories of an unforgettable summer
2. Boarding!
3. With Yildiz under the stars
4. First day of school
5. Storm of emotions
6. So equal and so different
7. Agency or nursery?
8. Deren Keskin
9.Husband's club... or almost
10. The fateful dress rehearsal
11. Fate upsets the balance
12. Truth or Lie?
13. Magical Nights
14. Officially Mrs Cehver
15. Writing is what saves us
16. Muzo's decision
17. Chaos in the family
18. Hidden truths
19. A past that still hurts
21. Open eyes
22. If there was no Mihriban
23. Muzo B-Day, no bad day!
24. An upside-down day
25. In the right place, at the right time
26. The grandmother
27. Weekend with friends
28. Suspects
29. Thoughts, clarifications and twists
30. Timing game
31. Stubborn
32. Let destiny take its course
34. The birthday curse
35. Celebrations
36. The calm before the storm
37. Time bomb
38. Valley of Tears
39. Sisters
40. The Cehver Plan
41. Disturbing discoveries
42.Love has no criteria
43. Stories of a not too distant future (FINAL CHAPTER)

20. Scent of trouble

636 31 3
By FeniceAlbatros32

 The next day at the office, Cey Cey's day had started very early. He had accompanied his wife downstairs as usual, and then prepared the agency for a new and busy day at work.

He liked to arrive early and when he was still alone, he would put a bandana on his head, and whistling with music in his ears, he took care of his little girl: "La fikri Harika", twirling gracefully as if he were Cinderella.

He had opened the windows in the various offices, which were still deserted, put coffee and tea on the stove, set up and cleaned his beloved counter, stocked up on all the coffee available, printed and photocopied several copies of files needed for the first meeting of the day, read the various post-its left by his colleagues for the day's needs... in short, a classic Cey Cey day.

And in between pirouetting around, opening windows and arranging posts, someone ruined the movie he thought he was in.

Just when gracefully, running with his arms outstretched one in front of him and the other behind him like a professional dancer to get back to his counter, he was about to leap over the entrance step to the creative headquarters, Muzo appeared.

"AAAAAAAHHH!" he exclaimed as he found himself in front of him. Muzo reflexively ducked, so Cey Cey made his exit 'from his stage', the headquarters, disappearing from view. He ended up on the floor like in the worst shows where the dancer disappears beyond the curtain followed by the sounds of a bad fall.

Cey Cey immediately stopped the music, and looked at him. "MUZOOOO!" he shouted angrily at him.

He was quietly leaning against the wooden wall of the headquarters, his arms crossed and tears in his eyes from laughing.

"Good morning, Cey Cey nutcracker!" he said, laughing out loud at his own joke.

"Muzo, stop it!" exclaimed Cey Cey once he was on his feet. "You think this is the way to get there, huh?" he blurted, getting back to his feet.

"I swear I can't stop." replied Muzo laughing breathlessly.

"Also, excuse me, is this the way to go around the agency?' he added.

Cey Cey did not reply, adjusting his shirt and the ever-present braces, which were red that day. The bandana in the fall had fallen partly over his eye, giving him a pirate look.

Muzo took a deep breath. "Ah, I die..." he said taking a deep breath.

"What style! Congratulations!" he added.

"All you needed was a tutu and slippers, then you were perfect. You ruined yourself on the finale though... it's a shame." she teased him.

"You did a beautiful piroet, but I loved your casquet more!" he said jokingly with his usual puns.

He laughed.

"That's not funny..." replied Cey Cey sullenly.

"It is... It sure is." replied Muzo.

"Cey Cey dancer for a day..." he said in laughter wiping away his tears. "Ah, I can't stop!" he continued.

"Do you know why for a day?" he insisted.

"No, let's hear it. Why?" said Cey Cey in an apathetic tone hoping it was the last one.

"Because it's casquet! Ahhhhhaaaaahhhaaaaa!" Muzo burst into thunderous laughter.

"Ha ha ha... but what a laugh Muzo, really funny!" replied Cey Cey sarcastically clapping apathetically.

"Hmm... the only thing that's out of tune is the bandana. Cey Cey, what exactly were you playing? Dancer Barbie or Cinderella, I'm not clear on the reference." he asked curiously.

"I'll show you the reference now, Muzo! What do you want?!" he asked shouting in his face.

"Ah, but what manners! I just came to say good morning, like the good brother I am." he said smugly and proudly.

"Good morning." replied Cey Cey coldly as he returned to his counter. Muzo followed him.

Cey Cey poured him a cup of hot tea.

"Ah, thank you." said Muzo as he took a seat at the counter.

"Ah, it's hot." he said barely touching the cup.

"What do you think? I just took it out of the fire." replied Cey Cey.

"Alright, alright, don't get mad...." Muzo replied, raising his hands in surrender.

"No problem, I'll cheat the wait by asking you something." he added.

"There, I thought it was strange..." replied Cey Cey.

"Why?" asked Muzo.

"I could smell demands in the air since you appeared before me, and as always I was right." replied Cey Cey taking off his bandana.

"What do you want?" he asked annoyed.

"Speak softly." replied Muzo referring to the people who were slowly entering the agency to reach their offices.

"Well?" he said in a low voice. "Come on, I don't have time to waste. I have a lot of things to do." reminded Cey Cey cutting him short.

"I guess! Like pirouetting all over the office, for example... but still... have you investigated? Is there any news?" he asked leaning forward on the counter.

"Investigated what? What are you saying, Muzo? Are you on drugs, by any chance?" asked Cey Cey.

"No, silly boy, don't you remember? Metin..." said Muzo in a low voice.

"Ah... that business again? You're fixated, huh." replied Cey Cey.

"Ugh... so?" snorted Muzo.

"No, no news. There was no way to investigate either. He didn't show up yesterday." Cey Cey replied seriously.

"Hmm, okay, but listen carefully. Today, as soon as you see him, try to find out something. Keep an eye on him." Muzo told him.

"Who's to keep an eye on, Cey Cey?" asked Deren, popping up behind him, arms on her hips.

"Ah, um... the clock. Keep an eye on the clock, Mrs Deren. good morning by the way. Because Cey Cey must be ready to satisfy every urge in her state." justified Muzo finding himself facing Deren's growing belly.

"Mh, bravo Muzo. Good advice." she replied serious and suspicious of them both.

"I'll make your usual coffee now, Mrs Deren." Cey Cey said out of habit, setting to work.

"Cey Cey, what are you talking about!? Can't you see the belly?" Muzo reminded him.

"Ah! Excuse me, Mrs Deren, not coffee, I meant... I meant... what do you want Mrs Deren? You tell me!" rushed Cey Cey blathering.

"A fruit juice without sugar, just fresh fruit." she quickly replied.

"When have we ever had fresh fruit in the agency?" asked Muzo bewildered as he looked at Cey Cey.

"We don't... or rather, not habitually. Only for meetings." he replied.

"Then go and buy it, Cey Cey." replied Deren looking him straight in the eyes.

At that moment Metin arrived with Deniz.

Muzo saw them in the distance and said: "Yes, Cey Cey, go and buy it, what's the matter? You heard Mrs Deren, didn't you? Her every wish is an order. Isn't it?" he said looking at Mrs Deren.

"Exactly Muzo. You understood very well. And look Cey Cey, I was prescient enough to make you a list. These are the things I might ask you in these months." she said handing him a small folded note.

Cey Cey took it. "Ah, perfect Mrs Deren. Let's see. I'll see to it right away." he said opening it.

As soon as he opened it, the paper proved to be longer than expected. It unrolled at her feet like a parchment.

"Wow..." commented Muzo upon seeing it. "Cleopatra's papyrus." he commented.

"Excuse me Mrs Deren, but you are sure you are only expecting a baby, right?" he then asked with his usual cheekiness.

"Muzo don't be impertinent now. Of course I am only expecting one." she replied, stroking her belly.

"Any problem with the list, Cey Cey?" she asked in a stern tone looking at him.

"Um..." Cey Cey was reading.

"Here, I'm just afraid we don't have room for all these things. To store most of it, you'd need an American fridge. Not a tiny countertop one like we have here. Where are we going to put all this stuff?" he wondered.

"You will take care of that, Cey Cey. It's your job. I'm sure you'll find a solution." she replied in her firm, professional tone.

"I will help him, Mrs Deren, don't worry." came Muzo's help.

"Don't make trouble or I'll break both of you, got it?!" she said in a threatening tone. Then she walked towards her office.

"Mama Bear is even scarier. Even the pregnancy hasn't softened her up." Muzo commented.

"Shh... are you crazy? She will hear you." said Cey Cey.

"I will need a truck to transport these things." he then added, checking the list again.

"Don't worry, Cey Cey. I have a plan. We will kill two birds with one stone. Trust me." said Muzo.

"Ah, even two birds she want now?" asked Cey Cey looking through the list.

"But what do you understand, Cey Cey! Hello? Are you here?" asked Muzo waving a hand in front of him to get his attention.

"I'm here, I'm here." replied Cey Cey.

"Did you see that Metin has arrived?" asked Muzo.

"I saw, so what?" asked Cey Cey. "He must have gone down to accompany Deniz, like every day."

"That's right." replied Muzo with a sly smile.

"Muzo, I'm not in the mood right now to investigate, look here! How do I solve this one?" he said waving the list in the air like it was a rhythmic gymnastics ribbon.

"Listen to me, I said! We'll do both." Muzo reassured him, accompanying those words with a wicked giggle.

"I don't like that laugh... at all." commented Cey Cey smelling trouble.

"Ah, forget my laugh now. Concentrate." encouraged Muzo.

Cey Cey then took the two ends of the long list and brought them to his ears like headphones.

"OK, now I'm concentrating." he replied.

"But look at this..." Muzo commented, watching him. "You've been watching too much TV lately I think, Cey Cey. Are you mimicking one of those TV quiz contestants, by any chance?" he asked.

"You said concentrate, and that's how I concentrate! What's the problem, huh?!" he blurted out.

"Ah, never mind. I was saying..." said Muzo, returning to the topic.

"You need a bigger refrigerator, right?" he asked.

"Yeah... there's no space here..." said Cey Cey, opening the small fridge under the counter.

"OK, so we'll go to Sanem now and see if they're there and we'll take the opportunity to observe Metin. After that we will go shopping with the company car. All sorted." Muzo said proudly.

"Hmm, not a bad idea, Muzo." admitted Cey Cey touching his chin.

"Ah, Can and Sanem have arrived." he added as he saw them.

Muzo turned around. He saw Sanem take the stairs downstairs and Can continue towards his office.

He walked past them.

"Good morning." he greeted them as usual.

"Good morning, Mr Can!" exclaimed Cey Cey and Muzo in chorus at attention.

"Mh, even in tune this morning. Well..." commented Can.

"Cey Cey? Are the files ready?" he asked without questioning why he had two strips of paper in his ears. It was for the best.

"Yes, Mr Can, the files for the meeting are already in the room, but Sanem is not attending?" he asked.

"She's coming, she's coming." he commented as he entered the headquarters.

"Good morning everyone, friends!" he greeted raising his arms to the sky, as he did every day, infusing the group his energy.

"Good morning, Mr Can!" they all exclaimed.

"Come on, Cey Cey. Let's go." said Muzo.

"All right." he said.

"Are you going out like that?" he asked squaring his ears.

"Ah, no. You are right. Wait." he said, removing the two strips of paper. He twirled the list around in the air, then tied it around his neck scarf-style, tossing the long flap over his shoulder.

"There." he said, strutting downstairs.

"Ah, even a change of style! What a swank, now you're perfect for going out." he teased him.

They arrived at the Sanem and while Muzo asked his founder for help with the Deren matter, Cey Cey stayed on the lookout keeping an eye on Metin.

He saw his phone ringing, so he nonchalantly walked over and pretended to test one of the products available as a tester. The phone call was short. Cey Cey couldn't catch anything.

Then Metin strolled over to Sanem, interrupting the conversation with Muzo.

Cey Cey followed him.

"Knock, knock? Sanem sorry to disturb you. Good morning, by the way, and good morning to you too Muzo." he said in a professional tone.

"Good morning." replied Muzo.

"I have to run urgently, but I'll see you in a bit for the meeting, OK? I'll try not to be late. "he warned her.

"Ah, good morning to you. OK... er, are you all right? Any problems?" asked Sanem seeing him in a hurry.

"No, none, other cases...." he replied.

"Ah, I see, okay. See you later then." she greeted him briefly.

"Will you warn, Can?" asked Metin at the door.

"Sure. See you later." she replied with a smile.

"Bye." he said and ran off.

Cey Cey, who had remained beside the door, peeped out, exchanging a blink with Muzo.

He would follow him while he finished talking to Sanem.

"Um, Cey Cey is right, you need a truck for these things..." said Sanem returning to the conversation, looking at the list.

"I will tell Can to buy a bigger fridge for Fikri Harika, it doesn't hurt. In the meantime, you can use the fridge we have down here. But not the ones dedicated to perfume essences. Alright? Take care Muzo." she said in a serious tone.

"No, no, we won't go into the lab, don't worry." he confirmed her.

"We will only use the company fridge." he reassured her.

"OK, then." replied Sanem.

"Oh, and... I'll accompany Cey Cey in this now, OK? Can we take the company car?" he asked.

"Yes, I think it is necessary. All right, you go too, but then, straight back to work. Alright? We have to revise today." she reminded him.

"Alright. Thank you." he said before walking out.

"Ah, if you come back and I'm in a meeting, just put in here to work," Sanem told her before he disappeared.

"Alright, boss." he replied with a nod of his head.

"Run along now. Before I change my mind." replied Sanem.

Muzo rushed off in search of Cey Cey and Metin.

He arrived at the entrance, and there he saw a van with tinted windows.

At the same instant, the sliding door of the car opened and Cey Cey gave him a whistle, motioning for him to get in. He was already inside the company van.

Muzo ran out and jumped in.

At the entrance came Burak. He was just looking for Muzo. He saw him rush up and disappear inside a darkened van. Being still new to Fikri Harika, he did not know the dynamics inside and thought something was wrong.

So he thought of alerting someone.

But who? His brother had not yet arrived. He had come with Deren, but in her state it was better not to alarm her. His brother had warned him. For any concerns he should ask him, avoiding any source of stress for his wife. No one knew that she had been ill because of the situation with her parents.

He tried calling his brother on the phone.

Nothing, he didn't answer.

"Ah, brother, ah..." he commented stationary at the entrance. At that moment Sanem was on her way up for the meeting. When she saw Burak and heard his words she brought a hand to her mouth.

"What have I done?!" she said to herself.

She had forgotten that he needed Muzo for the archive. Slowly she approached, cursing herself for allowing Muzo to leave.

Approaching behind she heard him say: "What do I do now?"

Sanem felt even more guilty. Poor boy, he was left without a guide, without anyone to tell him what to do. He was lost. So she cleared her throat and touched him on the shoulder.

"Burak?" she called him.

Burak turned around.

"Ah, good morning, Mrs Sanem." he greeted her with a smile.

"Good morning to you." She replied.

"Were you looking for Muzo?" she asked him.

"Um... also." he replied uncertainly as he looked at the phone in his hand.

Sanem frowned.

"Is there a problem?" she asked following her gaze.

"Um... that is... I'm not sure." stammered he unsure of what to say.

"What do you mean?" asked Sanem confused.

"Well... I saw Muzo hurriedly get into a car with tinted windows. I thought it was strange, that's it." he admitted.

"Ah, don't worry. He and Cey Cey went with the company car to satisfy Deren's long list of cravings." Sanem reassured him.

"Ah... for that then..." said Burak.

"They seemed suspicious, you say?" she asked her.

"Well... you don't always see two men going shopping in a car with tinted windows, that is. At least I've never seen them." he admitted, smiling.

"Mh, you'll see, you'll get used to the oddities of this company. Especially that funny couple." said Sanem with a smile.

"Still, you do well to keep your eyes open." she added.

"Habit now... unfortunately." Burak admitted, lowering his head.

Sanem hinted a gentle smile.

"Was that all you were worried about or..." dropped the sentence Sanem.

"Um... yeah, I mean, I wanted to ask Muzo something about the archive, but seeing him leave like that, that's it... I thought there was something, so I was trying to call my brother, but he doesn't answer. I didn't know who to turn to, to be honest. I didn't want to alarm anyone, especially Deren." he explained.

"My brother, he recommended not to agitate her." he pointed out.

"I understand. You did well. Deren is a very nervous person at work, because she is always under pressure. But now, she has to be careful, that's why your brother says so. And here in the company we do our best to relieve her pressure." Sanem reassured him.

Burak confirmed with a nod of his head.

"Let's do that!" she said.

"Today you will be my Cey Cey. You will be in my custody until Muzo returns." Sanem told her.

"Me?" he asked surprised, pointing at himself.

"Yes, you. You are an intern, right? And you have to learn a bit of everything. You've only been here a few days, and you started at the bottom rung. Imagine a pyramid, OK? You're at the foot of it. To get to the top, it takes commitment, dedication and sacrifice. I too was a pick-up-and-drop here at the beginning, you know?" explained Sanem.

"Really?" he replied surprised.

"Yeah... Deren didn't tell you? I was her "favourite." So much so, that she called me "the other one." she replied sarcastically.

"The other one? And why?" he asked confused.

"Because I was her favourite, precisely." replied Sanem laughing.

"I don't understand." admitted Burak confused.

"Come, come with me. I understand. Deren didn't tell you how we met." said Sanem taking him by the arm. He was taller than her.

"I will tell you the story, but first we have to go to a meeting." said Sanem.

"Me? In a meeting? And what do I do there?" he asked puzzled.

"Can you make tea and coffee?" she asked.

"Well, yes, I mean, I've always made plain tea and coffee at home, but the other kinds, that is.... Cey Cey is teaching me, I don't know if..." he said shyly.

"Perfect, it's your time." said Sanem.

"Some important clients are coming soon. They have to sign a contract with us and at every meeting we always offer some sweets and drinks. Usually tea or coffee." explained Sanem.

"As soon as I enter the room..." said Sanem as she reached the Cey Cey counter, pointing to the meeting room door behind there. "You will enter and stand in the corner at the entrance, ready to take notes of the drinks the customers desire." she said.

While explaining all this, Sanem checked all the coffee and tea machines with such dexterity and naturalness that Burak was enchanted.

Sanem also checked the bar fridge.

"Exactly. Just as I thought." she said, looking inside.

"What's going on?" asked Can joining them.

"Sanem?" he asked when he saw her head sticking out of the fridge under the bar.

Can had a dejavu for a moment.

"No parsley this time?" he asked.

Sanem stood up sharply. "Can?" she replied with a smirk. "No." she said, sticking her tongue out at him.

"What are you doing?" he asked her.

"I'm teaching Burak where to find things. He will be my Cey Cey for today. In fact, he will be our Cey Cey." she pointed out.

"Ah... because what happened to the original Cey Cey?" he asked.

"He had a job to do for Deren. And Muzo accompanied him." she explained.

"Even? Then the matter is serious." commented Can.

Sanem did not heed his words.

"Anyway Burak, you did well. Cey Cey had already ordered the cakes to be offered, so all you have to do is to plate them and bring them along with the drinks, alright?" said Sanem as he left the counter.

"Ah, so Burak will take Cey Cey's place at the meeting?" asked Can.

"That's right." replied his wife.

"I hope I can do it." commented Burak.

"Oh, don't worry, worse than Cey Cey and Muzo you can't do." replied Can patting him on the back.

"And when it comes to drinks you're learning from the best... but shhh! Don't tell Cey Cey." confessed Can winking at him.

"Especially the tea... mhh. Sanem makes spectacular tea!" added Can praising his wife.

Sanem pretended to put on airs by shaking out her hair professionally.

"Tea is my way of life." she commented.

"That's right." confirmed Can laughing.

"Any questions Burak?" asked Sanem.

"Um... no, I think I understand." he replied.

"Ah, but being the Cey Cey of the situation doesn't just mean serving at meetings." Can warned him as he looked at the hemline.

He noticed that many creative people were reaching the counter for a mid-morning break.

Burak followed Can's gaze.

"Oh..." he commented seeing them coming in a group.

"Listen to me Burak." said Sanem jokingly serious. "This is your battlefield, alright? You must defend this space of yours tooth and nail. Understand? Don't let them touch things or help themselves. Otherwise then Cey Cey..." she said running a finger over her jugular.

"They are like zombies looking for human flesh, think of it that way. Caffeine is their obsession. And until they get it they will do anything. So do your best. I believe in you." said Sanem patting him on the back and then entering the meeting room with Can.

"If you need us we are inside." said Can.

"Alright." he replied.

"Ah..." said Sanem running back to his side.

"Burak, you know how to plate, don't you? Or how to serve tea or coffee?" she asked.

"That is... unless you have special requests, the tulip glass for traditional Turkish tea, and coffee cups for black coffee." he replied, naively blinking.

"Ah, Sanem, don't be a mother hen, let him fend for himself. He has to learn to cope. I'm sure he'll know how." replied Can confidently.

"Alright." said Sanem huffing.

"Ah, one last thing. If you want to earn points... In exactly ten minutes, take a strawberry smoothie to Deren. If you satisfy her, you win it all." she told him before running off again.

"Alright... thank you." replied Burak before he was assailed by creative demands.

After surviving the wave, Burak on Sanem's advice brought Deren a juice box.

He knocked on the door of her office and entered.

Deren was working with her head down. And as was her custom, she let in without caring who it was. Out of habit, she thought it was Cey Cey.

"What is it, Cey Cey?" she asked flipping through some papers in front of her.

"Um... I brought you something to drink, Mrs Deren." replied Burak in a formal tone.

Deren looked up.

"Ah, Burak?" she replied surprised to see him.

"I brought you a strawberry smoothie, Mrs Deren." said Burak, setting down the glass, complete with straw and napkin.

Deren looked at him in amazement.

"Thank you." she replied, blinking. "Sorry, I thought you were Cey Cey. What happened to that slacker?" she asked.

"He went to buy the things on the list you gave him. Muzo accompanied him with the company car." he reported.

"Ah, he's not back yet?" she asked.

"Mh, no..." admitted Burak.

Deren took the smoothie and took a sip.

"Mh, just what i needed. Thank you." she said softening.

"Glad you like it. Now I have to run." he said hurriedly with one hand already on the doorknob.

"Where?" asked Deren.

"See, Sanem gave me an assignment while Muzo and Cey Cey are gone." he said.

"Ah, I see." replied Deren.

"Good work, Der... Mrs Deren." he rushed to the last.

"Good work, Burak." she replied with a smile.

Burak?" she quickly called him back.

"Yes?" stopping.

"You can call me Deren, when we are alone." she said, smiling at him.

"Alright. I'll run." he repeated before disappearing.

"Bye." Deren greeted him, continuing to sip her beloved smoothie.

Shortly afterwards Emre appeared at her door.

"Knock knock." he said over the open door.

"Come Emre." she invited him.

"In the meeting." he reminded her.

"Yes, I was just gathering the last things." Deren replied, finishing sipping her smoothie.

"I see Cey Cey treats you well." he commented, observing the large glass.

"Ah, this? No, Burak made this for me. You think." he replied.

"Ah, your brother-in-law has won you over at work too, I see." Emre commented.

"Yeah... don't tell Cey Cey." she said.

"Why? Where is he?" he asked.

"He went with Muzo to run an errand for me, you'll soon understand." she replied joining him at the door.

"So are you ready?" asked Leyla reaching both of them.

"We are ready." replied Deren.

"Then, let's go." said Leyla.

"Ladies first." said Emre.

"Oh, thank you." replied Deren.

"You're welcome." retorted Emre.

Once they were seated in the meeting room and welcomed the newly arrived customers, before they started, Deren noticed that Burak was also there.

She frowned in confusion.

She cast a glance at Sanem who saw her expression and smiled.

Burak also gave her a smile.

It was Can who asked their guests what they wanted. And Burak wrote everything down in a notebook.

Deren understood.

"Deren, you?" Sanem asked her.

"Me... another strawberry smoothie, please." she replied.

"Sorry for not joining you with the coffee, but... unfortunately in my state I cannot drink it." she justified to those present.

"You don't have to apologise, Mrs Deren." replied the manager of the brand they were to contract with.

"Thank you, that's very kind." Deren replied.

Shortly afterwards, Burak made his entrance with a tray full of coffee cups. Then he returned with the tray of teas for Can and Sanem, and finished with the tray where he had arranged the sweets and the smoothie.

Sanem, Can, and Deren exchanged a glance.

Leyla and Emre were also surprised.

They thanked him and Burak left not before throwing a smile at his sister-in-law.

The meeting went on smoothly and the contract was signed.

At the end of the meeting, the customers left satisfied not only with the agreement but also with the care with which they had been treated by the young apprentice.

"Ah, thank you. Burak is our intern, he just started with us, but he is working hard." thanked Sanem.

"Yeah, if something was not perfect, please excuse him. After all, we were all beginners." commented Can.

"You are absolutely right, Mr Can, but I can assure you that I have nothing to reproach in your intern's service. In fact, I congratulate you. He is learning well." replied the brand manager.

"Oh, thank you very much Mr Atlas, Burak will be happy to hear that." replied Deren all proud.

"You're welcome." said Can and Sanem getting up to accompany them to the exit.

The door to the hall opened, and once they were dismissed, Emre and Leyla went back to their work, while Can and Sanem accompanied them to the exit.

Deren, on the other hand, stopped at the counter where he saw Burak busy arranging the dishes. He took a seat in front of him on one of the stools.

"You surprised me, you know that?" she told him.

Burak, turned and seeing her in front of him smiled.

"Why didn't you tell me you would be at the meeting earlier?" she asked him.

"Because I wanted to surprise you. I was curious to see your expression." he admitted.

"When you do that, you look so much like your brother." Deren answered her.

Burak lit up. He was happy to look like his brother.

"But the compliments aren't over yet." Deren added, seeing his embarrassment.

"You made an impression, you know?" she added.

"In what way?" he asked confused, frowning.

"The customers in there were thrilled with the service." Deren informed him.

"Really?" he asked surprised.

"Yes... and honestly so was I. We all looked at each other amazed. Me, Sanem, Can, Emre, Leyla.... just everyone. Bravo!" she complimented.

"Thank you. But just between us..." he said quietly, approaching her at the counter.

"I was afraid I was doing it wrong, so I admit I did a bit of internet research on how best to present it." he revealed confidentially.

"Shh... don't worry, it will stay between us." Deren replied.

"What will stay between us?" asked Bulut coming up behind Deren.

He kissed her on the cheek.

"Ah, welcome, stranger." she greeted him.

Burak hid a smile.

"How are you today?" he asked her, stroking her small, growing belly.

"Mh, good, they don't let me miss a thing. Burak is spoiling me." she replied.

"Ah, perfect... because you weren't spoiled before... great." replied in a half-joking tone, Bulut.

"Rascal." she replied looking at him crookedly.

"Hello brother. Welcome." greeted him, Burak.

"Hi... how about you, did they move you to the counter? What's going on here? What did I miss?" he asked confused.

"I'm filling in for Cey Cey until he returns. Brother, you know? I just attended a meeting." he replied all happy.

"Ah, a meeting?" asked Bulut surprised as he looked at Deren.

"Cey Cey is out for me, so Sanem promoted him until his return." he explained.

"Ah, I see." he replied.

"He served the customers during the meeting impeccably. Before he left, they even complimented him." Deren reported proudly.

"Ah, good brother! I'm proud of you." said Bulut turning around the counter to hug him.

"Thank you. I'm learning here." he said casting a complicit glance at Deren.

"Hmm, you two aren't telling it right. What are you up to?" asked Bulut looking at them.

"Nothing. What are we up to, right Burak? I'm just teaching him a few tricks of the trade." she replied, getting up.

"I'll leave you now. I'm going back to the office to take care of a few things. I'll see you on my lunch break." she said walking away in her inescapable heels.

"Oh, and from here on, I'll ask you for the strawberry smoothie." she warned him seriously, returning to her role.

"Fine... see you at 4pm then." replied Burak with a smirk, knowing his schedule.

"Alright." replied Deren holding back a smile.

The boy had studied.

"Ah, Bulut?" Deniz called up to him.

"You finally arrived. I've been looking for you, I could use you downstairs." she said.

"I'll be right there." he replied.

"Hello Burak, good morning." Deniz greeted him.

"Hello." he replied smiling.

"We'll talk later." his brother dismissed him.

"Alright, brother." Burak gestured to the captain.

As the two of them walked down the stairs, Sanem walked past the counter, Can continued on to his office instead.

"Mrs Sanem?" called Burak to her.

"What lady? I don't see any lady. Only Sanem." she replied, looking around before approaching him.

"Ah, sorry. There, Deren/Mrs Deren, Sanem/Mrs Sanem... well, it will take me a while to get used to it." he admitted.

"Try again." she challenged him.

"Sanem?" he called her.

"It's better now." she replied. "Tell me Burak?" she asked.

"Here... " he said, handing him a steaming cup of tea in front of her.

"I know it won't be like yours, but..." he said pointing to the tulip glass. "I wanted to thank you."

"For what?" she asked, blinking.

Burak leaned over the counter, and after looking left and right answered in a low voice. "For Deren."

"Ah..." recalled Sanem.

"Did it work?" she asked him.

Burak replied with a nod of his head, and a toothy smile.

"Good, I'm glad." she replied.

"But you know what this entails now, don't you?" she warned him.

"What?" he asked.

"Prepare yourself. Sooner than you think, you'll become his protégé and she'll hand you a nice long list too, like in Cey Cey." she whispered.

"You have proved yourself. So... watch out." she warned him.

"Ah... you say the demands will increase?" he asked in the same tone.

"Eh, I would say..." replied Sanem.

"She already asked me for another strawberry juice, you know?" he confided her.

"Ah, that's exactly it." she replied.

"Anyway, you did great in there. So expect more proof." Sanem told her.

"And anyway... for more little tips on Deren, come to me." she told him in a whisper and then sipped her tea.

"Hmm, not bad..." she admitted.

"This goes with me." she said, leading away. "And you too. I need you at Sanem. Cey Cey is on his way back and it's better if he doesn't find you at his counter, so set him up properly and come down, I'll be right there." she warned him.

"Alright." he said.

When the couple returned from shopping, the driver helped them carry all the bags full of stuff. Muzo went down to Sanem, waiting for the lift from which Cey Cey sent the shopping bags.

Meanwhile, Cey Cey found Burak, whom he asked to help him.

They measured all that was possible, inside the refrigerator Sanem indicated. The rest, a small part, fortunately, Cey Cey took it to the bar fridge at Fikri Harika.

Meanwhile, upstairs Sanem, after settling some agency matters with her husband, was on her way back downstairs. She reached the lift, but finding it busy, opted for the stairs. She went down the first flight but the sound of an incoming email made her immediately check the phone in her hand. As soon as she read the sender she realised it was important. She absolutely had to reply, so she decided, with tired feet, to try the lift again even though it only separated her from the Sanem by one floor.

Arriving in front of the doors, she pressed the button and continued typing an answer on the phone. At one point she heard a voice speaking. As she descended the stairs she saw no one, the floor seemed deserted. For a moment he paralysed himself with the phone in midair, waiting to understand.

The lift was hidden behind a column, so it was a fairly secluded spot. But on instinct she got out of the way anyway, hiding just behind the column, then slowly peeked out from behind, hearing a male voice approaching.

The voice sounded familiar and very close. Someone was talking on the phone.

Peeping slightly, she recognised Metin's profile. He was standing in front of the archive counter. Sanem immediately withdrew, keeping quiet.

"No, sir, there are no further developments for the time being." Metin said.

"Deren is in the office, yes." he added, answering who knows what question.

A moment of silence followed. Sanem remained listening.

"Don't worry, they haven't seen each other since the wedding." he reported.

"You can rest assured, of course, she won't find out. I will keep an eye on her and if there are any developments I will let you know." replied Metin and then hung up.

Sanem slowly backed into the lift that was waiting to welcome her. Once inside, she pressed the button and reached Sanem.

As soon as the doors closed, on the short journey, her mind whirled. She didn't even realise she had arrived and that the doors were open in front of her, if it hadn't been for Cey Cey, who had to ascend.

"Sanem?" asked, passing a hand in front of her eyes, entranced.

"Oh, no!" he exclaimed, leaving one of the shopping bags he was holding on the ground.

"You didn't get stuck again like before, did you? Sanem?! Sanem?" he called tugging at her.

"Huh?!" she replied coming back to her senses.

"Sanem? What's going on? Are you stuck again?" he asked anxiously. Another second like that and i would have called Deniz.

"Cey Cey..." she said grabbing his wrist firmly, her eyes wide.

"Where is Muzo?" she asked still in shock.

"I think he's in your office, at least I left him there. We just finished sorting everything out. Or almost..." he said pointing to the bag beside him.

"Sanem, what's going on? You're white..." he scrutinised her.

"I have to go, Cey Cey. See you later." she said running out of the lift like a rocket.

Sanem came running in front of her office with bated breath, the pain in her feet no longer existed, at least not at that moment.

"Sanem?" asked Muzo sitting at his desk working as soon as he entered.

"What's going on? Have you seen a ghost?" he asked, chuckling to himself.

Burak was standing there beside him.

"Um... Burak. Excuse me but I have urgent work to finish with Muzo since he is back. Meanwhile, you reach the archive. Is that alright?" she said hurriedly. "Or, no... wait..." she said looking at her watch. "I give you permission, you can go on break first. It's a little while away anyway." she said.

"Sorry, for these sudden changes, but I have deadlines and I need Muzo." she tried to justify herself.

"It's OK... no problem." he replied quietly.

"Go, Burak, go. You've earned a longer break. You did a really good job!" she added, trying to smile.

"Thank you." he replied with a big, satisfied smile.

"When you come back from break, come back to me, and we'll get back to work, OK?" she told him.

"Alright. Perfect, see you later then." he greeted her.

"Enjoy your meal and see you later." replied Sanem.

"Bye." Muzo greeted him.

"Bye." he replied, leaving happily.

Once out, Sanem immediately closed the office door.

"Sanem what's our deadline? Did they call you from the publishing house? Is there any problem?" he asked getting up worried.

"Huh? What publishing house, Muzo! That was a lie. There is none of that. It's something worse." she said seriously.

"What do you mean? What's going on?" he asked seriously.

"Muzo you were right!" exclaimed Sanem hastily.

"I was right? About what?" he asked confused.

"I just heard Metin talking on the phone. You were right about everything, Muzo! The doubts about him, and everything else." she said agitatedly.

"What did you hear? "Muzo asked, approaching her.

"I'll tell you now. I need to sit down." she said letting go in her chair, fanning her hair. She was still in shock.

"Here." said Muzo handing a small bottle of water.

Sanem greedily took a sip.

"Thank you." she said.

She drank again. Then took a deep breath and recounted:

"I took the lift from the middle floor, from the archive. And as I waited, I heard a male voice. On instinct, I hid behind the column covering the lift." she explained.

"OK... and?" asked Muzo impatiently.

"I peeked for a moment and... I saw that it was him.... Metin." recalled Sanem.

"So I stood still, silent listening, I don't even know why..." she admitted. "But I felt I had to." she said.

"And I heard those words." Looking up she repeated verbatim thanks to her photographic memory: "No, sir, there are no further developments for the moment." Then: "Deren is in the office. Don't worry, they haven't seen each other since the wedding."

And finally: "You can rest assured, of course, she won't find out. I'll keep an eye on her and if there are any developments I'll let you know." concluded Sanem.

"I knew it! I knew it!" exclaimed Muzo, slamming his fist on the table.

"Sanem you are great!" he said hugging her.

"What? Why? I mean? What did he mean? Who was he referring to? What's going on?" asked Sanem confused returning the hug.

"I'll explain now." he said, making her sit in her chair. He sat down in front of her

"Cey Cey and I went shopping for Deren, but we also followed Metin." he admitted.

"How? Cey Cey is also aware?" asked Sanem surprised.

"Well, he still doesn't believe it, because he never caught him. But I asked him to keep an eye for me. So far he hasn't been able to find out anything." Muzo reported.

"And why did you follow him? Where was he going?" asked Sanem.

"Cey Cey, he overheard him talking on the phone while I was getting permission from you earlier to accompany him to the grocery store. And i followed him." he explained.

"He got into his car and drove off like a rocket. Cey Cey, then he called the company car and I got on board and we quickly followed him." he concluded.

"And where was he going?" asked Sanem.

"He reached his studio. And from there he came back here." Muzo recounted.

"Nothing suspicious, so." said Sanem.

"Well... but I heard him say those things, Muzo. I can't understand it. What is he plotting against Deren? Huh?" she asked worriedly.

"Why Deren, then? Why?" she insisted.

"I don't know, Sanem. I don't know. But I'm sure there's nothing good behind this." Muzo said.

"What do you know about it?" asked Sanem. "How did your doubts start? What did you hear...or learn?" she peppered him with questions. She was not giving herself peace.

"Sanem, calm down!" exclaimed Muzo.

"I heard him speak... it just so happens to be in the archive. And he was talking to a man, I told you. And he was referring to Deren. He was talking about Bulut and the fact that her husband had an unflourishing family situation, after what happened to Burak." he recalled.

"He said he was not the right person for her." he added.

"Muzo... Metin is giving information about Deren to someone." realised Sanem.

"Exactly." he replied.

"I heard that, but because of what you heard, the matter becomes more complex." mused Muzo.

"Marriage to Bulut is not the issue." he thought "Or at least not only that." he corrected himself.

Sanem thought about those words again. "Since the marriage, they haven't seen each other."

"Who was he referring to? Who is it that Deren must never see again?" asked Sanem.

"It is definitely a man anyway." he thought as he looked at Muzo.

"He addressed him as 'sir...' just like you said."

Muzo reflected.

''Sanem, I'm sorry to say this, but Metin is secretly working for someone.'' said Muzo.

"Hmm... no doubt about it." She replied, running a hand through her hair.

"And I think it's someone big too..." he added.

Sanem nodded.

"But what is it that Deren must not find out?" she wondered, pacing back and forth across the room.

"I don't know..." Muzo replied.

"Muzo, we absolutely must keep an eye on Metin's every movement. Deren might be in danger." she said with certain sixth sense.

"I agree." he replied.

"If Cey Cey also knows... then you two will be the eyes and ears of the Fikri Harika and the Sanem." she thought.

"Deniz, must not know anything for the time being." she added.

"Cey Cey could involve Ayhan. He would be a great help to us. I'll talk to him." she said thoughtfully.

"Alright, good idea." said Muzo.

"Can... My God!" realised Sanem at the mere thought, joining her hands in front of her mouth.

If I told him it would create total chaos. But what do I tell him? I have nothing in my hand! she thought.

No, I have to be sure before I tell him, she told herself.

"Sanem?" Muzo called her back.

"Huh?" she asked coming back to herself.

"Um...I won't mention it to Can until we find out more, so don't let anything slip in his presence. Keep a low profile, mind you." she said anxiously.

"Obviously neither Deren, nor Burak, nor even Bulut must know anything." she added.

"Of course." replied Muzo.

"Let Cey Cey know and then let's get to work." said Sanem.

"Ah, take care... don't change your approach towards Metin or you will arouse suspicion." she added.

"Don't worry, we will behave as always." said Muzo.

Sanem nodded, throwing her head back on the back of the chair.

She was exhausted. Those words had annihilated her.

The rest of the day passed slowly. Sanem tried to distract herself with work, but her mind always returned there.

That evening, she decided to go to her perfume workshop on the estate. She needed some time alone.

She told Can that she absolutely had to test some fragrances.

She didn't like lying to her husband, but it wasn't entirely a lie after all. She always had some fragrance to test.

So after putting the children to bed, Can took the opportunity to do some sport and Sanem went to the laboratory.

There, surrounded by all those essences, she pounded some flowers in the mortar and let the nagging nail that plagued her take over.

"Who is this someone who doesn't want Deren to discover anything?"

"And why does this someone not want Deren to know this thing, whatever it is?"

"And why is Metin involved? Does he work for this someone?" she thought inwardly.

"Metin... A lawyer... calling this someone 'sir'....Does that mean it's someone more powerful than him?"

"Someone who knows Deren... who knows her well, is hiding something from her... and asks Metin for help, to keep an eye on her and report to him."

"They haven't seen each other since the wedding..." she said.

"Who is it that Deren hasn't seen since the wedding?"

"And this someone trusts Metin.... so this someone knows where Deren works and knows that Metin has free access in our agency. He can get information easily and keep an eye on her."

"Who is behind this?"

"Who is this person capable of making Metin submit to his will?"

"What could make Metin... a man of principle... a man of law... a man of success... to give in to this man's demands?"

"The threats?"

"Or..."

"To know the person to such an extent that you cannot refuse his request..." she thought.

It was at that moment that Sanem without realising it was continuing that reasoning of hers in her dreams. She had fallen asleep with her head resting on the table.

In front of her was the freshly crushed lemon balm.

In the dream she suddenly remembered Deren's words.

"My father is one of the most famous lawyers in London."

"Can? Metin might know Deren's father?"

"Mh, that is, if you know the environment, you can't not know who he is. I guess they know each other. I don't know."

"He's one of the most influential men in the London aristocracy."

"The important thing was not to ruin his image. He would do anything to increase his status."

"I hated those kind of evenings. There most people smile with a clear purpose, to get what they want. Making deals. Business. Those formal, fake environments are not for me." she remembered Can's words.

"Can you ever meet Deren's parents while you were in London? Did you ever see them?"

"Well, at that event I was introduced to his father and I saw her mother from a distance."

"He is one of the most powerful lawyers in the aristocracy."

"If he could he would have married me off to one of the two royal princes at the time." she recalled Deren's words.

Sanem began to wriggle on the table. She was completely sweating.

"He has the world at his feet, if he wants to get something he gets it with a snap of his fingers." she also remembered Deren's words.

"For the image he would do anything."

"He told me that I was no longer her daughter. Then I told him I would rather stay in Istanbul and starve than bear his surname."

"He told me I had ruined all his plans."

"He had decided my future without me."

The more she remembered, the more it all seemed to start making sense.

"Don't worry, I'm keeping an eye on her. She won't find out."

"I heard him say: Bulut is not suitable for you."

"Did you ever see your father again?"

"Yes. Not at my behest, at my grandmother's funeral. We saw each other, but we didn't speak."

"I made a name for myself. From scratch. I'd be curious to know what he think of hearing about me." she recalled.

Suddenly she opened her eyes. Her hands clenched into fists. Her forehead beaded with sweat, though she was not hot. In fact, she saw that she had goose bumps. She hadn't realised she had one of the ampoules in her hands, but clutching it she had exploded in her hand and besides the scent scattered everywhere, her palm was bleeding profusely.

"Ah..." she said as she saw the blood drop to the ground.

"She removed the shards of glass from the deep wound, used a piece of cloth she used to cover the picked flowers, and rolled it around her palm.

Then lucidly she realised.

"Her father..." She said aloud.

"A favour to another lawyer. Stronger and more powerful than him. Of course! Oh, my God! His father knows Metin, and in exchange for who knows what favour, he has Deren checked out!" she thought.

"It all adds up..." she said.

"His father is behind it!" she exclaimed, growing more and more worried.

In the blink of an eye she picked up the mobile phone with her healthy hand and dialled a number.

The pain of the wound from the adrenaline of the moment she didn't feel.

"Muzo?" she said.

"Sanem what's going on at this hour?" he asked her sleepily.

Sanem didn't even know what time it was. He hadn't checked. At that moment it didn't matter.

"Listen to me carefully, Muzo. I may have figured out who is watching her. Meet me at the agency at 7 o'clock, have Cey Cey come too. "she said agitatedly.

Muzo only asked: "Who is it?" in a serious and alert voice.

"I'll explain tomorrow, it's a long story. But it's nothing good, Muzo." she warned him.

"Alright then, see you tomorrow." he replied.

"See you tomorrow." She replied, hanging up quickly.

Sanem left everything as it was and ran home.

She didn't even have to go inside, because Can wasn't sleeping yet. He was swinging in his hammock in the garden.

"Can?" she called reaching him. "Call the village doctor, I cut myself!" she said as she returned with the piece of cloth covered in blood.

"What?!" exclaimed Can as he jumped out of the hammock.

"Let me see." he said quickly reaching for her.

"It's not a pretty sight, Can. I think it needs stitches." she added without looking.

"Come to the kitchen." he quickly replied.

"Sit down. You're pale as a sheet." he told her.

"I feel strange, actually." she admitted.

"Don't pass out. Lie down with your legs up, come on." he said accompanying her to the couch being careful not to stain it.

Can checked the wound. It was indeed deep.

He quickly picked up the phone and dialled.

"Hello? Yes, my wife cut herself on the palm of her hand. She has a deep wound that won't stop bleeding and is as pale as a sheet. Come, it's urgent!"

"Mr Can, you must bring your wife here to the clinic so I can treat her and if necessary give her stitches. I cannot act in an unsterile place." replied the doctor.

"Alright we'll be right there." Can said hanging up.

Then he dialled his father's number. He answered in a sleepy voice.

"Son?"

"Dad I urgently need you to come here home now. I have to take Sanem to the hospital, she cut herself. Could you stay with the children?"

"What! Cut? And how is she? Is it bad?" snapped Aziz immediately from the bed. Mihriban beside him also snapped.

"She has a deep cut on her palm that doesn't seem to stop bleeding, so I have to move quickly. Don't make me talk now. Come!" he said briefly.

"Alright I'll be right there." he replied from the other end.

Five agonising minutes later for Sanem, Aziz arrived.

Meanwhile Can had washed the wound, and bandaged it tightly.

"Daughter..." he said seeing her as white as snow.

"Daddy Aziz..." she replied trying to smile.

Can hurriedly accompanied Sanem to the car without wasting any time. He had not yet asked how it happened, because at that moment nothing mattered more than his wife's health. He took a bottle of water and sugar with him and made her drink it on the way.

Five minutes later they were already at the clinic. Sanem was in a cold sweat.

The doctor confirmed that she needed stitches.

To distract her, Can made her talk.

"How did it happen, love?" he asked her then.

"I fell asleep on the lab table and didn't realise I was holding an ampoule. Probably while I was dreaming.... I mean, I'm sure I dreamt, but I don't remember what." she quickly clarified.

"I involuntarily shook my hand and...." she dropped the sentence.

She grimaced as he felt the needle sticking into his flesh.

"Go on. Don't think about it. You were saying?" said Can shaking her good hand.

"When I opened my eyes I saw the ampoule explode in my hand, and I ran to you." she summed up.

Suddenly the ferrous smell of blood had a strange effect on her.

"Can... I don't feel well..." she mumbled as she couldn't keep her eyes open.

"Sanem? Sanem, hey, stay here, don't pass out." Can tried to keep her awake by touching her cheeks.

"Sanem?" he called again. Sanem heard her husband's voice calling her. She began to see blurryly, and the voices around her turned into a distant echo.

Darkness.

The voices slowly turned into an increasingly insistent buzz. So much so that they were recognisable.

The voices of Deren, Bulut, Can, Metin, Muzo... began to stand out in her mind. She began to recognise phrases. Bits of phrases she had already heard, to be precise, which alternated and repeated themselves more and more insistently in her mind.

"Bulut is not suitable for him."

"My father is one of the most influential lawyers in London."

"I changed my surname, taking my grandmother's maiden name. Keskin."

"He's a selfish man. Who thinks only of himself. He's sick with power."

"That's how Deren was born.... Deren Keskin... Keskin... Keskin..."

Those seemingly disconnected phrases repeated in his mind like an echo.

"Ah!" she exclaimed waking up jerking up to sit on the bed.

"Sanem? Love?" asked Can as soon as he saw her open her eyes.

He immediately stroked her face.

She was out of breath.

"I'm here, I'm here, I'm here. Look, you're here, safe. Shhh... quiet... breathe. It was only a dream. Just a dream." repeated Can calmly, stroking her sweat-soaked face.

Sanem with fear in her eyes looked around tremblingly, her breathing laboured.

When she realised, she took a deep breath and let herself go on the cot, closing her eyes to catch her breath.

"You finally woke up. You had me going." Can said, clasping the healthy hand between his own. He kissed it.

"I'm fine, I just had a dream." she replied.

Then she looked at her hand. It was bandaged and immobilised.

"They're done." replied Can following her gaze.

"And... that wasn't a dream." he told her.

Sanem looked up sharply at him.

"What?" he asked.

"Sanem, you were delirious. You started babbling nonsense sentences. You were in a cold sweat. The doctor said it could be a reaction to the wound." he told her.

"Why, what did I say?" she asked worriedly with wide eyes.

"Nothing understandable. But what were you dreaming about?" he asked her.

"Um..." Sanem thought about it confused about what to say.

"I don't know, I remembered the blood and felt sick. I probably had a nightmare, but I don't remember it at the moment." she admitted, touching her forehead. It was obviously a lie.

"What about the dream you had at home?" asked Can. "Do you remember that one?"

Sanem thought back to the smell of Melissa she smelled in the lab.

And she lit up.

"I think I fell asleep because of the Melissa. Of course!" she recalled. I had pounded it in the mortar and.... when I woke up and hurt myself I could smell it." she realised.

"Ah..." replied Can sympathetically.

"The dream I don't remember... really. But it wasn't good, of that I'm sure, I mean..." she said leaving the sentence hanging.

"Otherwise you wouldn't have burst an ampoule in your hand, that's for sure." replied Can leaning down to kiss the bandaged hand.

"Exactly." smiled Sanem.

"Maybe I just don't remember it because it was bad." she replied.

"That's it... the mind sometimes plays tricks on you." Can commented sympathetically.

"It makes you remember things you never thought you'd remember again. And sometimes that can be good or bad." he said.

Sanem stroked him, nodding.

"Are you OK now? Does your hand hurt?" he asked her.

"I'm fine. Shall we go home?" she asked.

"We have to hear from the doctor first." he said getting up.

Can helped her up.

"How many stitches did I get?" she asked.

"Four." replied Can.

Once they had spoken to the doctor, and recovered from fainting, Sanem and Can returned home. They had warned her to move her hand as little as possible, and not to let the wound get infected.

She was vaccinated against tetanus, so an antibiotic treatment for a few days would be sufficient. In case of any particular symptoms, she was to return to the hospital immediately.

Following the rules, if the wound healed without any problems, she would probably have the stitches removed after seven days, but checks would determine that. Reading the medical records, she had been bleeding for about an hour.

Once home, Can and Sanem, greeted by Aziz and Mihriban, told them what had happened and then, both shaken by the scare, went back to their house. The children slept blissfully. It was the crack of dawn by now.

"Come on, go get some rest. I'll take care of them today." Can replied as he looked at his watch.

"No, I'm not tired. Besides, I wouldn't be able to sleep. I'd rather keep busy." replied Sanem.

"Sanem..." her husband called her back looking at her seriously.

"Can, I really wouldn't be able to sleep. In fact, I'll take the opportunity to do some work on the computer. I'll write down the tests I did at the lab." she thought.

"Ah... but I left everything there... geez! I have to go and sort everything out." she said to herself.

Can looked at her crookedly.

"Why are you looking at me like that? I have to get the perfumes I created. I need them." she explained.

"I'll go get them, as soon as the sun is higher." Can offered.

"You stop, instead. Don't even think about it. Otherwise you'll come home with a cut foot this time. Also no." he replied seriously and firmly.

"Ugh..." huffed Sanem, settling down to sit on the sofa with the PC.

"When you do that, you're a sweet wayward child, you know that?" looked at her Can smiling.

Sanem took the pc with her good hand and placed it on her lap.

"Ah, how am I supposed to write now? No... ah, geez!" she exclaimed. "I'll have to learn to write with the other hand now." she complained. "And it's the right hand too! I can't even write with a pen! Damn!" she complained, realising at that moment.

"Think of it this way. It will be a way to learn to write with your left hand." said her husband. "You will become ambidextrous."

"Ah, the signature! How will I sign now?"

"Practice with your left hand." proposed Can.

"It's no fun. If I write with my left hand it will look like our children wrote it." thought Sanem.

"It will take me ages to affix one." she thought.

"You can always put an x. They used to do that in the past." he reminded her.

"Mh, sure, my dear, I'll sign contracts in the company with an x. Don't make me laugh, Can." Sanem glowered at him.

"Well, while you learn how to write with the other hand, I'm going to take a nice shower." he said taking the opportunity to let his nerves drain away.

"Can, why don't you go rest? Really, you don't have to stay up for me." she said.

"Mh, you don't fool me, Sanem Divit. You will be up to another one of yours if I leave you alone. I know you." he said.

"Can? What should I be up to? I mean... but you see me? My hand is bandaged, and I'm lying on the couch with my PC... where do you think I'm going?" she blurted out.

"Mh, maybe it was better not to send my dad and Mihriban away. I didn't realise we have a third child in the house." he said winking at her.

"Come on, Can... don't you get involved too. I have a lot of commitments. I also have to go to the agency earlier than usual. That's why I need those perfumes. I have deadlines in the lab and I have to present and explain the new essences to be added to the collection. They can't do it without me, you know." she said bellowing.

"Alright, that's why I'm going to shower now, and then collect your perfumes. I'll collect them, bring them to you, and accompany you to the agency." she explained step by step.

"Can... Aren't you forgetting something?" asked Sanem turning on the PC.

"What?" he asked looking at her. "Ah!" he snapped smiling approaching to smooch her cheek.

Sanem softened for a moment.

"Alright?" he said.

"Are you serious?" she asked.

"Why?" he asked confused.

"I meant the children, Can! The children!" she exclaimed.

"I haven't forgotten them! We bring them first." he replied.

"Can, we can't. I have an appointment at 7 am. The children, what time do you want to wake them up at 5.30 am? 6 o'clock? It's almost 5 now. We can't. They're going to be woozy all day." she complained.

"Who? Our children? Are you sure? I don't think so." he replied.

"Come on Can, we really can't!" she begged him.

"You can't drive Sanem." her husband pointed out to him.

"I know, love. Thank you. I realise that." she replied pointing to her bandaged arm.

"That is why I have already spoken to the driver of Fikri Harika. He will come and pick me up. You can breathe now." she told him.

"Come on now, go take a shower, don't think about me." she encouraged him.

"That is absolutely impossible. I'll be thinking of you even while I'm in the shower, just know it." he said walking away into the hallway.

"Scoundrel..." commented Sanem.

"I love you." he replied.

"I love you so much too." she said blowing him a kiss.

After a while she was at the PC, and Can had gone out to retrieve her things, Sanem got up from the sofa to reach the kitchen.

It was at that moment that a sleepy little face reached her.

It was Deniz.

"Mama?" he called to her, rubbing his eyes.

"My little bird what are you doing up? It's not time to get up yet." she said, walking over to him.

"Why aren't you asleep?" she asked, leaning towards him who was leaning against her legs.

"I had a bad dream." he bellowed.

"Tell me about it..." she commented.

"Where's daddy? He's not in the room." she said rubbing her beady eyes.

"He went out. He'll be back soon. Is he the one who woke you up? Did he make noise?" his mother asked.

Deniz shook his head in the negative. Then he let go of her mother's legs to get a better look at her.

He rubbed his small eyes again, focusing on her.

When he noticed the bandaged hand he opened them wide.

"Mom, what did you do? Are you hurt?!" he asked alarmed.

Sanem had just managed to calm Can down and now he had to deal with Can Junior.

"Come, let's get on the couch." she said, stroking his hair that was getting longer and longer, just like his father. They were tousled from sleep.

Deniz sat down with his knees clutched to his chest.

Sanem took a seat at his side.

"It's nothing, understand? I just had a little accident, nothing more." she reassured him, arranging the strands of his hair behind his ears.

"But what did you do to yourself?" he asked her.

"I cut myself. Dad, took me to the hospital to be better medicated. Grandparents have been watching over you." she told her truthfully.

Deniz looked at her fixedly, with a sad look.

"It's nothing, understand? I am fine. In a week's time they'll take off my sash." she reassured him.

Deniz touched her hand.

"Does it hurt a lot, mama?" he asked.

"Not much." she lied. In fact, the stitches were pulling and stinging. It didn't feel good at all.

Deniz gently took his mother's hand and rested his lips on it, giving her a small kiss.

"And now?" he asked, looking at her with his big baby deer eyes.

"Ah, I am much better now. My little miracle doctor!" his mother replied with a smile.

"You always do that when we get hurt." Deniz recalled.

"That's true. And it works, doesn't it?" her mum asked.

"Yes, it always works." he replied.

Sanem smiled.

If your sister Ates had seen it, she would have repeated: "Mum, how many is that? How many are these? Just like Grandpa does."

"How many are these, mama?" imitated Deniz.

"Two." she replied with a deliberate hesitation.

"Good, then you're fine." replied Deniz resting her hand on his.

"You can't move it, then?" he asked.

"No, I can't move it. The cut must not get infected. That's what the doctor said." she reported.

"Is it very deep? Have you lost a lot of blood?" he asked with a grimace.

"A little..." she admitted.

"Ouch..." commented Deniz.

"But if it's deep, does that mean you got stitches? How many?" he asked.

"And how do you know?" asked Sanem surprised.

"They were talking about it at school. The teacher said that if a child gets really hurt, they can stitch him up. That's why they tell us not to run through the corridors." he recounted.

"Ah... well, that's true. They are right. I have four. That's what dad said." replied Sanem.

"Why didn't you see them?" he asked.

"No...I preferred not to." lied Sanem.

"You know...it looks like a kid got hurt at school, that's why they tell us." continued Deniz.

"Ah...really? I feel sorry for him, poor little child." said Sanem.

"Yeah... I feel sorry too." admitted Deniz.

"Is he your friend?" asked his mother.

Deniz nodded. Then Sanem thought back to that child he had mentioned to her.

"Is it by any chance that child you were telling me about? The one looking at you... what did you say his name was?" she asked.

"Mh, that's him. Hatay. His name is Hatay. He's been missing from school for several days now." said Deniz.

"Do you miss him?" asked his mother.

"That's it... I was getting to know him." explained Deniz.

"Did he hurt himself a lot?" asked Sanem.

"They say he cut himself on one foot." he replied.

"Ouch, that one hurt." commented Sanem with a grimace. "Poor baby. That's why he doesn't come to school. He has to stay at rest. His parents must be taking care of him." she thought.

"No, that's impossible." Deniz replied.

"Why?" asked Sanem always attentive to her children's stories.

"Because Hatay has no parents." he replied.

"Ah, poor little one, I'm sorry." said Sanem with a sad look.

"And who takes care of him?" he then asked.

"I don't know, a lady always comes to pick him up, but I don't know who it is." admitted Deniz.

"It must be his grandmother, or a relative." replied Sanem.

"I don't know." replied Deniz.

"But he is very lonely." he said in a sad tone.

Sanem looked at him.

"Did he tell you that?" she asked.

He nodded silently.

"Mh... let's do this. When he comes back to school and is cured, invite him over one afternoon. What do you say? I'd like to meet him." said Sanem.

Deniz brightened up.

"Yes! Nice, thank you mama!" he said hugging her.

"And what about, my little bird?" she replied, returning the hug with her good hand, smooching him all over.

"Now come on, lean on me, try to sleep. You still have an hour or so before your alarm clock. Daddy will drive you to school." she warned him.

"Why? Are you staying at rest?" he asked with his head positioned on her side.

"No... maybe. I have to run to work soon, I have to deliver some perfumes." his mother replied.

"Then I stay here with you. If you are not here when I wake up..." he said.

"Ah, come, my sweet little man." commented Sanem.

Deniz leaned his head on her mother's legs, letting his hair be stroked back into sleep.

"I love you, Deniz." her mother whispered to him.

"I love you so much, Mama." he said, smiling in his sleep.

"It's amazing how children feel when you're not well." thought Sanem.

When Can returned he found Deniz snuggled up to his mother on the sofa.

"Ah, what's going on here?" he asked.

"Taken." he said, placing a box full of things in front of the coffee table at Sanem's feet.

Can stroked Deniz's head.

Sanem looked at him. "He had a bad dream." she said with a edge in her voice.

"Ah... him too?" replied Can.

"Yeah..." commented Sanem.

"And what did he dream?" he asked.

"I don't know exactly. He got alarmed when he saw my bandaged hand and I had to calm him down. But I think it had something to do with a schoolmate who got hurt. He cut himself too." she explained.

"I understand." replied Can.

"And who is this schoolmate? Do you know him? He never mentioned him to me." he thought.

"He had mentioned him to me once. His name is Hatay. He no longer has parents apparently, and Deniz said he is a very lonely child." said Sanem stroking her son who was sleeping blissfully on her.

"I told to invite him to play at our place when he gets better." she reported with a smile.

"Good idea. You did well." commented Can.

"Ah, my empathetic little bird." commented Sanem stroking him lovingly.

"Anyway..." she then said, looking at Can. "Since you're back... and just in time, according to my watch... now you stay with him. I have to get ready." said Sanem shifting trying not to wake him up.

"Besides, he was looking for you when he got up." she added.

"Ah..." commented Can.

"Yes... love, can you help me?" asked Sanem failing with one hand.

"Right away." he said taking Deniz in his arms. "I'll take him back to bed."

"Alright." replied Sanem opening the box to check the contents.

Can had meticulously collected everything, but in fact the box was not at all as important as she wanted to make people think. It was just a cover, but she would still take it with her to the company to continue the necessary tests there. 

_________________________________

Hello readers :)

Thank you for reading the 20th chapter of the story.

The first mystery is getting thicker and thicker.... get ready.

See you soon with the next chapter!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.3K 2.4K 30
This was not what Sanem had envisioned for her life. A young widow running her own publishing company..alone. She also never thought she'd love again...
131K 5.8K 28
Sanem became the woman she didn't want to be. Can became the man he didn't want to be. *****MATURE CONTENT*****
151K 9.2K 50
Can and Sanem Two souls who meet unexpectedly and have a whirlwind romance that will stay with them wherever they go. Fate tore them apart but woul...
236K 11.6K 36
Book 1 (Completed) Can break's up with Sanem after finding out she gave Fabri the perfume and also her involvement his licence being revoked. Heartbr...