[Career Series #5]: The Elect...

By Dimli_

[Career Series #5]: Catria Lionne Montagne Mariano takes pride in being the daughter of a famous senator and... More

The Electric Spark
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 41

229 7 3
By Dimli_

I pulled him closer to me. "Okay, but we don't have music."

Matty started singing Line Without a Hook by Ricky Montgomery with his husky voice. His eyes were staring into mine as they reflect the lights around us.

The cold breeze touched my skin so I pulled him a little closer to feel his body heat and started moving to the rhythm of what he was singing. I wrinkled my nose and laughed when he wasn't able to keep up with the steps. "This is a simple waltz, Matty."

He chuckled and shook his head. "You know I don't really dance well. Ang tagal nga natin nag-practice para sa debut mo."

"But you still dance," I said as I swayed my hips and he followed my every move.

"Yeah... Because you love dancing." He leaned closer and his lips touched my forehead. "And I want to give you everything that you want."

I rested my forehead on his chest and smiled inwardly as my heart melted. "Go, now, Matty. I don't know if I can let you go if you stay for another second."

He chuckled and hugged me tighter before letting me go. "I'll see you tomorrow."

I shook my head immediately. "No, I'll see you later after your ball."

"Okay..." He smiled and kissed my forehead again before bidding goodbye and walking away.

I walked back to my room and busied myself with my academic requirements so I wouldn't overthink Matty hanging out with other girls.

Well, Daphne and Blair are already taken so they're not one of the suspicious girls around Matty. Crystal has been taken since they were in 8th grade or 9th grade, I'm not really sure so she's not suspicious at all.

Ella is the only one that I'm worried about... She's too close to Matty and I don't know what they do when they're in school.

I heard a soft knock on my door before it opened and mom walked into my room with a smile on her face. "Are you busy?"

I glanced at my table and shrugged. "A little but I have time."

"Madam Cantabria invited us to have dinner with their whole family next Sunday." Mom grinned. "The NYU results are also out by then."

I just smiled because I didn't want to upset her. "Yeah... I hope I pass the other schools because it would look bad on my personal record if I only passed in the schools here in the Philippines."

"But you're still leaning on DLSU even if you pass?"

I nodded and looked away. I continued doing the things that I was doing earlier because I didn't have the energy to argue about this again.

"Okay then," mom said.

I turned to her with my brows knotted. What changed? I thought she wanted me to study in the United States. "You're okay with it now?"

Mom nodded and shrugged. "It's not like you'll let us choose what we want for you, right?"

"I want to study here," I said.

"Okay... Whatever you want, Callie." She smiled. "Anyway, about the dinner with the Cantabrias next week, dress nicely, okay?"

I nodded. "I'll wear the emerald green dress we bought last month."

Mom suggested some of her jewelry that would look good on that dress and I just agreed with everything she said even though it was confusing that she was preparing too much for a simple dinner.

I took a deep breath when she finally left my room and continued doing my other requirements. I looked at the corkboard that was hanging above my desk to check on my to-do list. Out of the ten tasks that were listed there, only two more activities were left.

I sighed in relief and smiled. Great! I was able to finish the tasks that I skipped when dad was in trouble a few weeks ago.

I took the printed copy of my DLSU result that was pinned on the corkboard and smiled as I read it again.

I wonder what BS Accountancy would be like for me. Will it change my standing in the Montagne Empire or will everything be the same?

All my thoughts disappeared when my phone rang. I pinned the result back and took my phone out of my drawer. I grinned when I saw Matt's name on the caller ID.

"Matty!" I greeted him when I answered the video call.

He smiled and looked at me like he was really happy to see me. "Anong ginagawa mo?" There was music playing in his background and flashing lights with different colors were lighting his face up.

"I just finished a few tasks and I only have two tasks left for this week." I leaned on my chair's backrest. "How's the party?"

"Nagso-slow dance na sila..." he trailed while looking at a distance. "Iniisip ko nga umuwi na kaso 'yong awarding daw mamaya pa."

"I miss you." I pouted before I stood up from my chair and walked to my bed. I sat on my bed and rested my back on a stack of pillows. "What time will you get here?"

"I don't know... Ang tagal kasi nila umpisahan 'yong isa pang program." He sighed and gave me a tired smile. "Kung inaantok ka na, pwede namang bukas na lang tayo magkita."

"No!" I whined. "I'll wait for you."

"Okay, pero 'wag mo pigilan 'yong sarili mo kapag inaantok ka na," he said soflty as if he was trying to make me fall asleep.

"Matt, sino kausap mo?" I heard someone say from Matt's side.

Matt glanced at his side. "Si Cat."

Ethan, Axel, Crystal, and another girl that I have not seen before appeared behind Matt. The three of them smiled and waved at me as if they were really happy to see me while the other girl was just looking at me with a confused expression written all over her face.

"Hi, Callie!" Axel said and he was standing beside the other girl. "Matt misses you a lot."

I pouted. "I miss him, too."

Axel started teasing Matt and me and Ethan had to scold him because he was being too loud.

Axel grinned. "By the way, Callie, I'll be having a small get-together at my house after graduation and Matt said he's going to ask if you can go first before he gives me a concrete answer."

My brow furrowed. "I'm invited to that?"

"Yeah! You're Matt's girlfriend so I'll invite you." He smirked at Matt before turning to me again. "So... will you two go?"

I pursed my lips because I didn't know what to say. I didn't want to go but I wanted Matty to go and he said it was a small get-together... Maybe it's safe... But what if he has a different definition of "small" and it's really a huge party?

I cleared my throat. "It's just a small get-together, right?"

"Yeah! Just our circle and the partners." Axel wrapped his arm around the girl and chuckled. "It was actually a small hang out without the partners but—"

"Axel is too attached to his girlfriend," Crystal butted in and smirked at Axel.

"Hey!" Axel complained and looked at Ethan. "Ethan, Crystal is teasing me again."

"Ang gulo niyong tatlo," Matt said and walked away from them.

"Hey, wait!" Axel said. "Are you guys coming to the get-together?"

Matt turned to me... or his screen. "Pwede ka ba?"

"If we're not going out in public and if it's really just a small party."

Those are the two conditions that we have to consider. I don't want to get into trouble and I'm not in the mood to deal with government haters.

"It's a safe get-together, Cat, pero kung hindi ka pa rin komportable, okay lang naman kahit 'wag na tayo pumunta." There was disappointment laced on his tone.

"No... We should go," I said because it seemed like he wanted to go and I really appreciate how he always puts me first. "They're your friends."

"Are you sure?" Matt asked.

I nodded and smiled. "Yeah, don't worry about me and it's just a day."

He's amazing these past few months with his busy schedule and everything that happened to me so it won't hurt if I let him hang out with his friends.

I just have to suck it up for a day.

Madam Cantabria was talking about her recent New York Trip and she kept on asking me if I love to travel and which countries I had been to which I politely answered with a smile plastered on my face.

"You should travel with us, Callie," she said rather enthusiastically. "To get you immersed in business travels. It's already summer vacation, right?"

Andres cleared his throat. "Abuela, her academic calendar is different from the usual Philippine academic calendar."

"Oh! Then just tell me when you are free, Callie," she smiled widely.

I patted the napkin on my mouth before I started talking. "I'm not sure if I have the time this summer," I politely declined. "I have some college things that I have to arrange."

"Really?" she said meaningfully and glanced at Andres. "Where are you going to study?"

"NYU emailed her last week and she passed," mom said and squeezed my hand.

"Yes." I grinned. "I passed but I also passed the DCAT so I'll be studying at DLSU."

"Really?" Andres' mom asked. "What a waste, if I were you I would choose NYU, it's a better school."

I had to fake a smile before I continued eating. Too bad you're not me then.

"Here in the Philippines, the universities are too centered on giving students subjects that are not even significant to their programs like history and language," she added but I didn't want to listen to her anymore.

"Well, Callie is our only child and she wanted to stay here with us," dad said even though that wasn't really the reason why I'm staying here.

"Ah, I understand that. I had a hard time letting Andres study in Europe but that's what's best for him and his education."

They continued talking about random things such as politics and business but I didn't listen to them because tita kept on insisting on why NYU is better than DLSU but nothing can change my mind.

"Are you okay?" Andres whispered to me. He was sitting beside me and I didn't like it but I can't complain because we were the ones who were invited by them.

I turned to Andres and nodded with a genuinely fake smile. "I'm not like you. I'm studying here."

He chuckled and shook his head. "Don't worry about that. Mom is just looking out for you, she's not going to force you to study elsewhere."

I looked away and focused on my food because I don't even get why they were so concerned about it.

"Abuela likes you..." Andres trailed. "So mom is just making sure that everyone who will be a part of this family will be well-educated and with the right credentials."

I felt my blood boil at what he said... Was that the agenda for this dinner? They're still not done with that?

I gritted my teeth. "May I remind you that I have a boyfriend?"

He shrugged nonchalantly. "Of course, I know that but as of now, you are Abuela's favorite, and whatever she wants, she gets."

After the dreadful dinner with the Cantabrias, I went straight to Matty's house. That dinner drained a month worth of energy from my body.

"Callie, bakit nandito?" tita Shriley asked me when she opened their gate for me. She smiled and squeezed my chin. "Pinayagan ka ba? Baka mag-alala parents mo."

"My driver is there." I smiled at her. "I had a rough day, tita. I want to see Matt."

"Oh, okay, pasok ka. Nasa kwarto niya si Matt," tita said and we walked to their front door.

"Is he busy po?" I asked.

"I don't know but he told me has to arrange some papers because they will be turning over their positions in their clubs to the next officers." Tita shrugged. "I think he still has extra time because he helped me with some paperwork."

Tita went straight to their coffee table where there were piles of papers and stacks of books. She sighed before sitting on their couch and taking a few papers. "You can go to Matt's room, Callie. I can't accompany you because..." She gestured at the table. Maybe one of her big cases.

I smiled and nodded before leaving her to her work. I wonder if I'll survive law school... Whenever I see tita working, being an attorney seemed hard.

But well, it's for the title... The prestige.

I knocked on Matt's door and I hugged him immediately when he opened the door. He stilled before he hugged me back and caressed my back.

"Is everything okay?" he asked softly while he was drawing circles on my back. "May nangyari ba?"

I looked up to see his face and I pouted. "I hate dinners like that. They kept on mentioning NYU and I don't want to study there, Matty."

He smiled and kissed my forehead. "You're here now. Walang pressure dito, NYU or DLSU,ikaw bahala."

"You really are the best, Matty."

He chuckled and pulled me inside his room. "I'm always trying to be, Cat."

I sighed in contentment as I held him tighter. He's really my escape from all this and I don't know how I will even stay sane if he wasn't around.

"Callie, Matt, you're already here!" Axel greeted us when we arrived at his house. He was standing beside a girl who if I remembered correctly from the video call last time, she's his girlfriend.

"Happy graduation," I greeted him with a smile. It was their graduation day yesterday and I wasn't able to watch because my parents didn't want me to go out in public.

Axel grinned. "Thanks! Too bad you weren't there yesterday, Matt graduated with high honors."

I smiled and looked at Matt proudly. "I know, right? He's great!"

Matt shook his head and looked away.

"Anyway, this is my girlfriend, Liv," Axel introduced his girlfriend to me while he looked at her like she was the only person he sees. "Liv, si Callie, girlfriend ni Matt."

I forced a smile as I waited for her judgemental gaze because all of the people who are not part of my dad's circle are all judgemental or fake.

She gave me a shy smile. "Hello po."

Okay... She's acting normal... What the hell?

Axel chuckled and wrapped his arm around Liv. "Stop using 'po' it makes them feel old."

"It makes you feel old," Daphne butted in and waved at me. "Hi, Callie!"

I smiled at her and held on to Matt's arm. I know she's already taken but there was still history there somewhere and I can't let that go.

Axel guided us to their house's garden which has decent size for pool parties with a hundred people. Matty pulled a chair out for me before sitting on the chair beside it. He also handed Axel the boxes of pizza that we bought before heading here.

"Liv, okay na ba 'to?" Daphne asked Liv while looking at the barbecue that was being cooked by her boyfriend, Braden.

"Okay na 'yan, 'diba? Si Daphne—"

Daphne covered Braden's mouth. "Ang ingay, babe."

"Gusto mo naman maingay, 'diba?"

Daphne leaned closer to her boyfriend with their lips almost touching and whispered something that I didn't hear.

Matt wrapped his arm around me and held my cheek to make me look away from Daphne and Braden.

"You want me to do that to you, too?" I gave Matt a teasing smile.

Matt's face turned red and his eyes widened. He turned to me and shook his head with a threatening stare.

"My gosh, guys! My innocent baby's eyes and ears, please," Axel said and covered Liv's ears.

Liv shrugged and examined the barbecue. "Okay na 'yan, ate Daph."

One-by-one their other friends started arriving with also their boyfriends or girlfriends. I had to force myself to socialize because it wasn't just their squad anymore, there were also other people that I don't really see as often as Matt's friends

"Hi, sorry late kami," Blair said when she arrived. "May game kasi si Sky." Blair waved at me and she introduced her boyfriend, Sky, to me.

He was nice and soft-spoken for someone who's studying in that school.

We ate lunch together while they were talking about their high school experiences and I don't know how they do it but I didn't feel out of place because they kept us included in their conversation.

"Damn, DLSU kids," Daphne said when I told her that we were planning on securing our slots at DLSU. "You two are already sure with that?"

I nodded and grinned. "Matt and I had been talking about it since we took the exam. It's either we enroll at DLSU or ADMU but we passed in both so we're choosing DLSU."

We continued talking about college and the campus life at UPD because Zia and Sky are both from UP and Julian and Ethan chose to study there until the guys started leaving one by one because they are the ones cleaning up.

"Tulong lang ako kina Axel, okay ka lang ba rito?" Matt asked me.

I looked at the girls and nodded at Matt with a forced smile plastered on my face. I just have to brace myself.

"Are you sure?" Matt asked.

"Matt, layas na," Daphne said and chuckled. "Ikaw na lang naiwan dito."

Matt pursed his lips and glared at Daphne before kissing my forehead and walking away to join the other guys.

"Okay!" Daphne clapped. "So may kwento ako."

Ella groaned. "Daph, alam ko na 'yan. Please, stop."

"No! Interesting 'to." Daph grinned. "Totoo pala na may flavored condoms!"

"Oh my gosh, Daph!" Blair covered Zia's ears while Crystal covered Liv's ears.

Ella facepalmed. "See? Kaya ayaw ko siyang mag-start ng conversation."

Jas laughed. "Umagang kay kalat na naman tayo, Daph."

Daph rolled her eyes jokingly. "It's a new discovery! Akala ko it's a joke before pero gumamit kami kahapon... and highly recommended." She said before she sipped juice using her straw.

Blair gave me an awkward smile. "Sorry about Daph."

"What is a condom again?" I asked because the term is so familiar but I can't wrap my head around the gist of that word.

Daphne turned to me and gave me a cheeky smile. "'Yong gingamit ng lalaki during sex so we won't get pregnant."

My lips parted and formed an 'o' because I now understand why it's familiar. Some books mention that.

Daphne looked at everyone seated around the table and she laughed. "You guys are so weak. It's just a condom hindi ko nga sinabi kung anong ginawa namin."

"Daph," Blair scolded Daphne while her face and her whole neck are red.

"So... you're active?" I asked Daphne because she talks about sex so openly.

Daph's brows furrowed in confusion and she nodded. "Most kids our age are."

Oh... That's interesting. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.2K 627 37
Brave Girl Series #1 Story Status: COMPLETED Oseanna Marie Aragon was an all-out lady. An accountancy major with perfect grades, a travel blogsite to...
28.9K 1.5K 34
Date Started: June 24, 2021. Date Ended: August 11, 2021. - Mahirap ang buhay. Akala ng iba ay madali lang ang kumita ng pera, hindi nila alam na kai...
11.9K 369 25
University Belt Encounter Series #4 Experiencing trauma and repetitive abuse was never easy but Nisha Korinne decided to not give up and instead grew...
30.4K 784 25
University Belt Encounter Series #3 "Crazy Rich. Beautiful. Talented. Smart. Classy. Future Star." That is how they view her. Minus her spoiled atti...