Safe With Me ~ Fred Weasley

By mahduhlyn

"Your dad gave you this?" I nodded, still not looking at the necklace. "Your dad did that to your neck." He s... More

September First
Tommy
Kitchen Runs
The Weasley Twins
Confusion
The Boggart
The Welcome Back Party
Pranks
Hufflepuff vs Gryffindor
Like the Sun
The One Eyed Witch
Dementors
Black's Break in
Don't Ignore Me
Hufflepuff vs Ravenclaw
Dementor Lessons
Hogsmeade
Happy Christmas
Christmas Eve
Christmas
Bruises
Cordially Invited
Expecto Patronum
I Got You Hurt
Slytherin vs Ravenclaw
The Astronomy Tower
Gryffindor vs Ravenclaw
Birthday Gifts
A Happy Memory
Birthday Party
Thirty Feet Up
Exams
Lupin's Resignation
The Burrow
Missing
Summer
Shopping Spree
Admit It
Lake Day
Hide and Seek
Charlie
Under the Stars
Happy Birthday
DeGnoming
Perfect
The Cemetery
Mr. Olsen
Harry's Arrival
The Portkey
The World Cup
The End of Summer
Back To Hogwarts
Unforgivable Curses
The Tri-Wizard Tournament
The Goblet of Fire
The First Task
The Yule Ball
Rejection
The Ball
The First Happy Christmas
The Second Task
Jealousy, Jealousy
Orchideous
Mrs. Weasley
The Last Will & Testament
He Was Happy
Back Home
Percy
Losing a Brother
12 Grimmauld Place
The Order
Prefects
Umbridge
Dumbeldore's Army
Banned
Christmas at Grimmauld Place
Educational Decree #26
Acedemic Achievement
Caught
Departure
Give Her Hell From Us, Peeves
OWLs
The Inquisitorial Squad
Level 9: Department of Mysteries
Black Sheep
Weasley Wizard Wheezes
I Want You
September
Slytherin
Invisible
Christmas at the Burrow
Nott
The Phoenix Lament
Seventeen
Saintlike
The Wedding
The Ministry Has Fallen
The Carrows
Crucio
Selwyn
Potterwatch
A Small Christmas
The Room of Requirement
Disappearing Act
The Battle
Fireworks

Detention

8.2K 241 94
By mahduhlyn

"Detention?" Fred's eyes were bright, a grin overtaking his face as he shook me by my shoulders. "Who are you?"

I rolled my eyes at his theatrics, flopping onto the bench between the twins before dinner would start.

"I think you must be a bad influence on her, Freddie." George smirked, checking off some lines on a worn looking piece of parchment. "Going to get her kicked from Prefect duty after two days!"

"Wouldn't that be a shame. What would you spend all your time on, then?" He looped his arm around my neck and pulled me in for a short kiss.

"I just hope she'll let us work on our homework, or let us off early... I'm so behind already, I don't know how."

"Fifth year's the worst, Cass." George finally looked up from his sheet, his eyes boring into mine seriously. "Mark my words. Maybe it's good you're blowing off a bit of steam, shouting at teachers."

"I've half a mind to write home to Mum," Fred shook his head, as if deeply disappointed. "She should know the sort of girl we've taken into our home."

"Fred!" I finally laughed, half out of amusement and half exhaustion. Everyone knew fifth year was difficult, but I had severely underestimated the workload, especially given that it was only the third day of class. Between my friends, my boyfriend, Prefect duties, classes and homework, I didn't have time for any more detention.

After we had all eaten, Harry and I both checking our watches every few minutes, the two of us stood from our spots and waved goodbyes to our friends, Fred shooting me an amused wink as we started back to Umbridge's classroom.

"I have so much homework." I said, hoping to strike up a conversation before our hours of silence ahead. Harry had seemed, even from afar, agitated since our return to school, and I doubted the heavy workload on top of this detention wasn't helping.

"Tell me about it." He grumbled back. "I'm sorry about this, you shouldn't have detention."

"Neither should you." I frowned, glancing at him. "I... Have people been okay? Since-"

"Not in the slightest." He bit back before hearing the end of my question.

"I'm sorry, Harry. I know it doesn't seem like it, but you've got people on your side. Everyone else will see, we just have to hope it's not too late..." I trailed off as we turned towards the familiar doorway into the Defense Against the Dark Arts room.

"I'd give anything to be headed here for Dementor lessons with Lupin again." He muttered, pausing and checking his watch again.

"Anything." I agreed, looking towards him, waiting for him to take the lead and head through first.

He pushed the door open with no hesitation, a low creaking echoed through the empty classroom, the only light wafting out from Umbridge's office up a short flight of steps. I followed Harry closely through the dim room and climbed the steps quickly, my heart beating so loud in my chest I was sure she could hear it from here. I had never had detention before, I didn't even know what to expect, much less from someone who had half the school terrified.

Harry raised his hand to knock twice on the office door, waiting for her call to enter before leading us inside. I lingered behind him, taking a single step to the side so she knew I was there. Harry, however, did not appear nervous in the slightest, although I doubted this was his first detention.

"Ah, welcome you two. Have a seat please." She gestured to a small table where two chairs had been pulled up neatly, two long pieces of parchment laying before either spot. "You're going to be writing lines for me today."

Harry had already begun walking, taking the seat farthest from the doorway, his eyes scanning the room with all of it's frills and pale pinks, kitten pictures, plates and cups lining her shelves. I took the seat next to his, pulling the chair out slowly, afraid of making any sound.

"You're going to be using my special quills, here you are." She reached out two identical black quills with thin sharp edges. "And I'd like you to write 'I must not tell lies.'"

"How many times?" Harry asked, his voice low but steady.

"Oh..." She seemed to ponder a moment. "As many times as it takes for the message to really sink in."

I held the quill to the paper and then scanned the table between the two of us. She hadn't given us any ink. I watched Harry's eyes flick to mine, both of us obviously doubting that Umbridge was using muggle writing utensils.

"You haven't given us any ink." Harry pointed out, a slight tone of amusement in his voice at catching her in a mistake.

"Oh, you won't be needing any." She smiled another thin smile and then returned to her desk. Harry's eyebrows furrowing at me before picking up his own quill and looking it over carefully.

I pressed the tip of my quill to the paper, noting at once a slight pressure on the back of my hand which spread as I began spelling out the first letter I. The second I drew the next line, I pressed my lips together to hold back a gasp. There was a sharp pain now on my writing hand and I noticed a disappearing letter m slashed through my skin, the wound sealing itself shut as soon as I noticed it.

I peeked to Harry, who's jaw was hung open, his eyes searching mine and looking angrier than I had ever seen him. He looked from his own hand to mine as if deciding on his next move before I shook my head slowly.

"Something wrong?" Umbridge asked, her eyes locked on us now and a wide sinister smile spread on her face.

"No." I answered quickly, not looking back to Harry, simply clenching my teeth and finishing my first sentence.

The two of us worked in silence for what felt like hours, the only indication of time passing was the disappearance of the light outside of the windows. Neither of us dared check our watches or look between ourselves again. Finally, as I neared the bottom of my paper and began to worry that she might be expecting the back page as well, Umbridge cleared her throat in the same way she had done before her speech at the feast.

"Come here." Was all she said, Harry and I moving quickly from our spots. "Hands."

Harry thankfully thrust his hand forwards first, giving me a second to force mine to stop shaking.

"I don't seem to have made much of an impression yet, have I?" She raised her eyebrows at him, as if daring him to talk back to her. "We'll just have to try again tomorrow evening. You may go."

Harry stepped back as she reached for my hand now, standing near the door as she examined my wound, the feeling of her fingers on mine enough to make me want to gag.

"I said you may go, Mr. Potter." She looked at him, annoyance written all over her face. "Miss Olsen will be just fine."

"It's late-" He started.

"Miss Olsen is a prefect and surely knows her way around the corridors at night. Don't you, Miss Olsen?"

I looked back at Harry, wincing as Umbridge tightened her grip on my hand.

"I'll be fine, Harry. Good night."

The fire in his eyes flared up again before he thankfully turned on his heel, stealing another glance behind us as the door shut and he started down the staircase.

"Now, Miss Olsen." Umbridge began, her hand still clutching my own as if I might run away at any moment. "I'd really hate for these to scar, wouldn't you?"

I hesitated, not daring to look her in the eye, and instead focusing on my hand.

"Yes, ma'um."

"In my professional opinion, dear. You don't seem like a liar. And you don't seem like the kind of girl who shouts out in class and gets detentions. I've looked over your file."

I nodded, not sure how she wanted me to respond.

"Am I correct in assuming that this was out of character for you?"

Another nod.

"Then you are free to go, Miss Olsen. I will see you in class, I think tonight's lesson will stick with you for a while, yes?"

"Y-Yes ma'um." I stuttered, taking a step back towards my bag as she nodded, turning back to the work on her desk and allowing me to flee towards the exit, wiping a finger beneath my eye and taking my first deep breath in hours.

"Cassidy." Harry's voice hissed through the dull light of the lanterns in the hallway.

"I told you you didn't have to wait." I said quietly, knowing he didn't need to be caught out here after curfew.

"I had to." He growled. I looked down to see his hand, red and inflamed, clenched around the strap of his bag. "Are you okay?"

I nodded, yanking my sleeve down to cover my hand. "You?"

"Yeah, what's one more scar?" He scoffed, not sounding amused as we reached the main staircase. "Listen... I'd appreciate if you wouldn't te-"

"Tell anyone?" I finished, meeting his eyes in the dark. "I won't if you won't."

"Deal." He adjusted his bag over his shoulder. "Is she making you come back tomorrow?"

I paused. "No." I felt guiltier at his relieved expression. "Which isn't fair-"

"No, it's good. That's good. Take care, Cass. I'll see you." He nodded towards me before hurrying up the stairs and leaving me very much alone, my pile of homework now the furthest thing from my mind.

I woke the next morning with only a sliver of sunlight creeping through the windows. Despite falling asleep the second my head had hit the pillow, I felt as if I'd only gotten an hour of sleep. Still, I had papers due today and patrol with Ernie tonight and no time to do anything.

I changed quickly and stuffed a pair of brown gloves into my pocket before stepping softly down the stairs with my bag, falling into an oversized armchair. The temptation to lay my head on the arm rest and fall back asleep nearly too much to ignore as I pulled out my potions book to start my essay.

"Cassidy?" Maddie's voice startled me into focus, from my Charms assignment. "We were worried about you, what are you doing down here?"

"Homework, I got in so late last night." I glanced down at my paper, hoping any of the past few paragraphs had made any sense as I didn't remember paying any attention to them. "Why are you all up so early?"

"It's not early, Cass, it's nearly nine. We'll miss breakfast if we don't hurry." Bri looked at me, questioningly as I began shoving my work into my bag.

"Who woke you up if I wasn't there to?" I joked, pulling my gloves on as they started towards the doors.

"Very funny." Hannah shot me a look. "We're all perfectly capable of waking up for-"

"You are not wearing gloves to breakfast?" Maddie laughed, grabbing for my hands as I held back a wince.

"I'm freezing." I lied. "Woke up cold."

"You're cold down here?" Bri asked, incredulously.

"Maybe you're coming down with something, Cass." Hannah suggested as we arrived at the bustling Great Hall.

"Yeah, I know you have a lot going on, but it's only the first week, don't burn yourself out just yet." Maddie offered me a smile as we found a spot at the end of the Hufflepuff table and pulled food towards our plates in a rush.

"There you are!" Fred's voice appeared on my left, his fingers running through my hair softly. "I looked for you last night after your detention-"

"It went really long." I interrupted, taking a huge bite of a pancake.

"Aw, that's bullshit, she knows how much work you both had, and it was your first offense!" He rolled his eyes.

"She's pure evil, Fred!" Maddie fumed, earning a grin from Fred.

"Oh, don't worry. George, Lee and I have been working on some new stuff just for her." He looked down at me as I ate quickly, not wanting to be late for class. "Why are you wearing gloves?"

"She's coming down with something, Fred. She woke up cold... in Hufflepuff." Hannah joked.

Fred frowned and reached for my left hand which I pulled back, pushing my plate towards the center of the table.

"Mmm fyne." I mumbled through my last bite of eggs before standing. "We're going to be late, guys, you're stressing me out."

"Cass, slow down." Fred pulled me closer, wrapping his arm behind my back. "If you don't feel well you can go back to sleep. Your teachers will understand-"

"I'm not sick, Fred. I feel fine." I offered him a tight smile which didn't seem to ease his worried look.

"Can I walk you to class?" He asked as the girls stood up.

"You have your own! I'll find you for lunch, okay?" I rolled onto my toes and planted a kiss on his cheek, wanting nothing more than to pull him into a hug and skip all of my responsibilities for the day.

"Alright..." He shrugged, sulking back to the Gryffindors for George and Lee.

The gloves stayed on for the rest of the day, only a mild inconvenience during Herbology as dirt clung to every strand of fabric. A few classmates looked twice at my hands throughout our lessons, but no one's eyes lingered as long as Bri's.

"Cassidy, honestly, this is insane! If you're still cold at this point you really should see Madame Pomfrey." She exclaimed for the sixth time that day as we headed back from dinner.

"I'm always cold, Bri." I shrugged.

"And yet you've never worn mittens an entire day before-"

"Just drop it!" I snapped, regret flooding my stomach at once when I watched her lips turn down, her eyes looking hurt. "Sorry." I spit out at once.

"It's alright." She answered, the four of us now walking in silence back to the common room.

"If I'm still feeling cold tomorrow I'll go see her."

"Alright." She answered again, shaking her head.

"I'll see you guys in the morning, I've got patrol with Ernie." I tried for a smile as they gathered together near the fire, Ernie already waiting for me near the staircase to the girls dorms.

"There you are! I was worried you'd forgotten." He was speaking to me, but his eyes were with my friends.

"Nope, I'm here." I answered, feeling only slightly annoyed at the way he was always acting like I didn't know what I was doing.

"Let's get to it then." He gestured towards the doorway and followed me back out into the hallway.

The hallways weren't as dark as they had been last night yet, the sky still retaining some blue which shone through the windows as we walked, the lamps flickering along the walls. I finally pulled my gloves off and tucked them in the pockets of my robes with my wand, peering down hallways in an effort to stay focused.

"How's Fred then?" He finally spoke, and I hadn't realized how long we had been walking in silence.

"He's good. I've just been so busy, I feel like I haven't seen him much."

"Yeah, fifth year's tough." He answered, sounding as if he had already completed the year himself. I held back an eye roll.

"How about you?" I asked, wanting the subject off myself even if it meant hearing more about Ernie Macmillan's perfect life.

"What about me?" He asked, still scanning hallways as if Sirius Black was on the loose once again, instead of tucked inside a townhouse in London.

"Any girlfriend? Or boyfriend? Or-"

"Alright," He cut me off me with an amused look. "No. Not right now."

I nodded, trying to think of any other topic I could talk to the boy about.

"Actually..." He started again, thankfully. "I was wondering..."

"Yeah?" I prodded, hardly looking at the boy.

"You're friends with Hannah Abbot?" He asked, his voice finally sounding unsure of himself for once.

I nearly tripped on my next step, playing it off quickly before nodding. "Yeah, she's my roommate. Why?"

"I just... well, I... she sat next to me in potions the other day. We kind of hit it off, I thought. But I was wondering if you had heard anything... I mean, if she had said anything about-"

"She hasn't said anything to me," I started slowly. "But I can ask Bri and Maddie. Or I can ask her-"

"No, don't do that!" His voice bounced off the stone walls around us and I raised my eyebrows.

"Alright! No worries! I'll see what I can find out." I held my hands up to calm him down as we continued our scan of the floor.

I woke before the girls again the next morning and hurried to the library. The lamps were lit already, but Madame Pince was no where in sight, nor were any other students. I strolled through the aisles, running my fingers along each end cap before finding the words I'd been looking for.

"Healing Charms."

I stepped slower now, scanning the spines of every book, looking for anything that might hold the information I was looking for. Finally settling on one titled 'Medicinal Magic,' I dropped my bag to the floor and sat down next to it, flipping to the first page and looking over the contents.

I had scoured nearly six different chapters searching for anything to rid scars or cuts before giving up. As if Harry would still have that scar on his head if there was a way to rid scars.

"Ferula." I muttered, aiming my wand at the fading words on my hand, a tan bandage fitting itself along the wound before my eyes. I admired my work as I stood up, hurrying to breakfast to work on some more homework before everyone else showed up.

I was nearly caught up now, just one more paper due Monday, plus whatever I was assigned today, although judging by this week I would have a new pile by the afternoon.

"Okay, that's it." Bri exclaimed, my friends stealing seats beside me at the table. "What's wrong with your hand?"

I felt my eyes go wide, but I hoped she hadn't noticed. Glancing at my hand as if I had forgotten the bandage was there I shrugged. "I think wearing the gloves all day gave me a rash, I don't know-"

"A rash." She glared at me. "From gloves."

"Oh, one of the bowtruckles could have scratched you! Remember Grubby Plank said-" Hannah offered, digging into her breakfast.

"Let me see, Cassidy." Bri raised her eyebrows, looking at me now as sternly as Molly would look at the twins.

"Oh, Bri, the bandage won't stick anymore if I take it off - Hey!" I pulled my hand back as she lunged for it.

"Let me see if it's just a rash!" She looked angry now. "What are you hiding?"

"It's just gross is all!" I gave her a look as if she was acting crazy.

"Cassidy, honestly." She huffed, sitting back in her spot and pulling the breakfast tray towards herself. "You're being weird."

"You're being weird." I answered, sliding my books into my bag in between bites of my muffin.

Once we had eaten our fill, slightly less crunched for time this morning, the four of us stood and began gathering our things, headed for the entrance hall. I froze in my tracks as Fred slid out in front of me, reaching out to grab my arms to keep me from stumbling.

"Hey, hey, hey." He smirked. "Good morning to you too."

"Good morning, Freddie." I leaned my head onto his chest and contemplated stealing a quick nap right here.

"Oh, you do remember me!" He teased, earning himself a fake glare. "I have try outs tonight, they're looking for a new keeper, so come by after? We'll probably do a bit of a party whoever Angelina picks."

"Alright." I nodded, eager to spend some time with my boyfriend after this week from Hell.

"Thank God." He sighed dramatically. "I thought I'd have to persuade you."

"Now how were you going to do that?" I raised an eyebrow to him.

"Pay Hermione to do some of your homework? Possibly blow up Umbridge's classroom as a bit of revenge, although that one's not entirely off the table yet." He grinned and I shook my head.

"I'll see you tonight, then. Have fun."

"I love you!" He called and I felt the effortless smile I was so missing this week spread across my face again.

The day had gone surprisingly quick compared to the rest of the week, and while we did acquire a fair amount of work again, knowing I had two days to work on it gave me a chance to breathe. I tossed my bag onto my bed and pulled off my robes, changing into the scarlet quidditch hoodie Fred had given me two years ago before starting off to Gryffindor tower, ready for a night of fun.

I muttered the password, getting a dirty look from the Fat Lady despite my wardrobe choice and clambered through the portrait hole into a cheering room full of streamers and sweaty bodies.

"CASSIDYYYY!" Lee cupped his hands around his mouth as he shouted, the room barely noting a change in volume.

"Cass, if I may introduce you to our new Gryffindor Keeper," George slapped his hand on Ron's back, causing the boy to jolt forward with a laugh.

"Ron!" I grinned, "I didn't know you were trying out! That's amazing!" I hugged him without thinking, feeling his arms wrap behind me as if he was scared to touch me for too long.

"Thanks." He chuckled nervously as I backed away.

"Where's- oh!" I locked eyes on Fred who was nearly at my side now, the cup he had been holding flying to the nearest table with the flick of his wand. "Hi Freddie."

He looked me up and down quickly, and only now did I register that he hadn't smiled once since I had entered the room.

"Are you okay?" I asked, letting him pull me away from the crowd and over near the staircase to the boys dorms where it was quieter.

"What's on your hand?" He asked, hardly sparing it a glance, his eyes still boring into my own.

"My hand?" I held it up for him. "A bandage?"

"What's under it, Cassidy." He growled, reaching for it as I pulled it farther away.

"A r-"

"And don't tell me a rash." He cut me off and I swallowed nervously. "I ran into Bri on the way up here."

"And what? It's just a bandage, she's freaking out over-"

"What's so important for you to hide from me that you'd avoid me all week?" He didn't look angry anymore, he looked hurt.

"Fred, I haven't been avoiding you. I've been busy, but I'm caught up now so we can-"

"Show me under the bandage Cassidy." He said plainly. "Please."

I paused, scanning the room and praying for someone to interrupt us, for someone to call Fred over to recount some funny joke or story, or for Harry to save me from spilling the secret he too didn't want revealed.

But no one came. No one even looked our way as I peeled back the bandage from my skin.

"What is that?" He squinted, grabbing my hand gently and pulling it towards his eyes. "Are those words?"

I nodded, barely moving my head, preparing myself for how he was going to react.

"What the hell is this, Cassy?" He looked from my eyes back to the scar. "I... must not  what?"

"Tell lies." I whispered, as if anyone else in the room would be able to hear us.

"Who did this?" His eyes were lit with the same fire I had seen so many times before.

"H..." I opened my mouth and shut it again, not sure how to respond. "Harry doesn't want anyone to know... Umbridge had us write lines for detention. She had some special quill that didn't need ink, because..." I bit my lip as I felt the tears well in my eyes.

"What?" He snarled, his voice now loud enough that a few Gryffindor's closest to us glanced over. "What! Umbridge did this?"

"It's okay... I mean... she's evil, everyone knows-"

"Cassy, why didn't you tell me?" He whined, quiet now, dropping my hand and tugging me closer, his fingers drawing slow circles on my back. "We've got to tell Dumbledore. She can't fucking do this. She can't get away with this."

"Harry really doesn't want-"

"I don't give a fuck what Harry wants!" Fred scoffed. His hands came to my cheeks, fingers pressing firmly along my jaw as he looked into my eyes. "If he wants to suffer, that's his own messed up problem, but no one's getting away with doing that to you."

"You heard what your parents said, Fred. Getting Dumbledore involved will only make things harder for him. You know he'll do something, and it might get him sacked."

Fred's gaze into the wall behind me hardened as he nodded a few times.

"You're right. I'll do it myself."

"Do what, Fred?" I narrowed my eyes at him. "It's fine, it's over-"

"It's not over. I told you no one else would ever hurt you, and I'm not letting that bitch get away with this. Plus, you think she's not going to do that to anyone else who gets detention with her?" He asked, his eyes flaring back up in anger. "No. It's not over. Not by a long shot."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

441K 15.2K 155
"𝓈𝒽𝑒 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝒷𝑒 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓂𝑜𝓈𝓉𝓅𝑜𝓌𝑒𝓇𝒻𝓊𝓁 𝓌𝒾𝓉𝒸𝒽 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓂 𝒶𝓁𝓁" ... Maisey Howell knew nothing of her prophecy or long lost br...
947K 19.4K 124
"I promised myself to never fall in love again, even if that leaves me to be alone for the rest of my existence. I don't really see the point now you...
2.2M 61.5K 68
Hanging over George's back, you grunted, "Seriously, put me down, Weasley." He shook his head and laughed gleefully while he carried you downstairs...
23.8K 566 38
"You're a good friend, Hermione." She narrowed her eyes at him. "So we're on a first-name basis now?" He shrugged. "I feel it's only fair after spend...