Pantheon Book 2: The Way of t...

By spiker648

The way the gods operate is broken. Apprentice gods are forced to give up their friends, families, and someti... More

The Verge of War
Newlyweds
Olympian Counsel
The Vote
Who Cast the First Stone
Guilt
The Gates of Asgard
Family Reunion
Vafthruthnir
No More Secrets
A Game of Riddles
Reunion
Casting Off
Monkey Business
The Heavenly King
Triple Pinky Swear
The True Enemy
Trespassing
Yamata-no-Orochi
The Real Me
Story Time
Worries
The Shinto
Akari's Decision
Marcus's Wager
Peace Offering
A Terrible Plan
Calm Before the Storm
Twin Oni
A Clash of Ideals
Blind Faith
The Great Sage
The Sun Rises
Heart to Heart
The Next Stop
Sad Farewells
Setting Sail
Battle Plan
The Strongest Magic
Training
A Distraction
Freedom
The Monkey King
The Jade Emperor
Hypocrisy
Remember Me
Words on a Page
A New Mission

More than Perfect

15 2 0
By spiker648

        Melody blinks to wipe her eye, and before she knows it, the world shifts. Her stomach drops, and she lets out a small squeak of surprise. The air turns dry and hot, and she feels the sun beating against her skin. When she opens her eyes she's met with a small town split right down the middle by a four-lane highway. She twists in place, her mouth falling open as she takes in her new surroundings.

The town would seem sad if she didn't know who lives here. They're standing on a bridge over the highway, the desert stretching out as far as the eye can see all around them. On one side of the bridge are dozens of houses, with a mountain on the horizon beyond. The sun hangs just behind it, slowly sinking behind its peak. On the other side is what looks like an industrial district, with all kinds of factories, strip malls, and restaurants.

"This is-!" She breathes, her eyes sparkling with excitement. Oliver nods, stepping away from her and staring at the ground.

"Welcome to Empire," He says, panting softly. "Home of the Ennead."

"Which way is their base?" She says, searching for any sign of an ancient tomb or pyramid. Oliver points across the bridge, and Melody squints against the sun.

"New Empire High, just over there. If you want, you can go ahead, I'll-"

"Nope," Melody says, linking arms with him again. "There is no way I'm going off on my own in an unfamiliar town - let alone the home of another Pantheon." Oliver squirms and shivers like a cold worm, but Melody ignores his protests, dragging him in the direction he pointed.

For such a small town, Melody can't help but see its charm. The small trees planted on patches of green that seem like they shouldn't exist in a desert. The hustle and bustle of people rushing to and from work. She has no trouble believing that gods live here. She swats at a fly buzzing around her head s they get close to the school, and Melody stares at the building, wondering if it's where the gods hold their meetings.

New Empire High looks more like two towers connected by a tunnel. The entrance is only one floor, and she can see all the way through to the back of the building through the windows. The two towers are four stories tall, full of glimmering windows that reflect the sun like mirrors. Excitement builds in Melody's gut, mixed with curiosity and anxiety. She managed to convince the Olympians to let her visit the other Pantheons. Now, not even an hour later, she's standing on the Ennead's doorstep. Maybe creating the new treaty won't take as long as she thought.

"Oliver!" A girl calls, and Oliver twitches in Melody's grip. A girl dashes from the front of the school, and Melody has to take a step back to avoid being bowled over as she throws herself on him. She has long, dark hair, and pretty green eyes decorated with eyeliner wings. She's wearing tight jeans with the cuffs ripped off the bottom of the legs, and a long-sleeved shirt with thumb holes. For the first time since they've met, Melody sees Oliver smile as he catches the girl, hugging her tightly.

"You're here," The girl breathes, pressing her lips to his. Oliver's cheeks flush as he kisses her back, melting into her embrace. Melody can't help but giggle as they whisper greetings, nuzzling to each other before either realizes that she's still there. The girl pulls back, slipping her hand into his.

"Sorry - who are you?" She says, narrowing her eyes. Melody giggles again, holding her hand out politely.

"My name is Melody - but I prefer Mel. I'm an apprentice god from Mount Olympus." The girl raises an eyebrow, shooting Oliver a look before taking her hand. Melody pauses, feeling a spark of power from her fingers.

"I'm Emelia. You're the one-" She looks at Oliver, and he nods.

"The one Kayla said would be willing to help." He confirms. "She...stood up to Zeus. Made him agree to let her make a new treaty." Emelia's eyebrows shoot up, and she looks at Melody with a new curiosity.

"I see. I guess that's what they meant..." She trails off, looking back to Oliver. "Ra's expecting you. Some stuff's been going on-"

"Is that why you're an apprentice again?" Melody guesses, trying to put her finger on the strange feeling she's getting from the girl. It's a kind of familiarity - like she should know her better. Oliver's mouth falls open, and he turns to Emelia with a squeak.

"Long story," She says, pulling him towards the school. "The whole Ennead is gathered to meet you. They sent me to get those two, which I'm guessing means you." She leads them to the entrance, pausing outside the doors. She turns back to Oliver and Melody, crossing her arms. "Just a warning about how things work here. Ra isn't like Zeus - he generally has the final say, but whenever we need to make a decision, it's more like a debate. Horus is the hot-headed one."

"Mr. Halliday," Oliver says with a shiver. Emelia nods, cupping his cheek and pecking his lips.

"Apprentices aren't allowed at this meeting, so I can't go in. But I'll be here when you get out."

"How do we find them?" Melody says, looking up at the sign above the door; New Empire High, home of the Hawks. There's no way the whole school is their throne room, right? She wonders.

"Since everyone left for the day, Isis enchanted the doors. They'll take you right to the tomb."

"T-tomb?" Oliver whimpers. Emelia sighs, pushing him towards the doors.

"The Tomb of Ra, it's where all official meetings are held. Now get in there - you don't want to keep them waiting!"

The Tomb of Ra looks more like a temple than a tomb. There are no walls, just massive sandstone pillars supporting a flat roof above. Beyond the pillars is a dark, endless sky, littered with thousands of stars. Dozens of people stand between the pillars, all wearing headdresses depicting some kind of animal; hawks, cats, hippos. In the center of the room stands seven people, also wearing headdresses, watching as Melody and Oliver appear. They stand at the bottom of a massive staircase, with a golden throne at the top. An older, dark-skinned man sits on the throne, with a younger, muscular man standing next to him with his arms crossed. Both have hawk heads, their eyes piercing.

"Good, you've made it," Someone says, but Melody can't tell who. No mouths move, and the voice seems to echo through the chamber, coming from everywhere. Her excitement dies down as the weight of her task settles into her mind. It was easy enough to give her speech to the Olympians; she knows half of them by name, having grown up around them. But now she's surrounded by strangers, appealing to a culture she only theoretically knows.

"Hermes, the Ennead welcomes you," Another voice says, rough and masculine. The hawk man standing next to the throne steps forward, pointing to Melody. "Before we get started, please introduce your companion." Oliver nods, his hands shaking so much that Caduceus rattles softly.

"T-This is Melody, an apprentice from Olympus," He says nervously, his eyes jumping from person to person. It isn't hard to tell that he's trying to figure out who is who as well.

"M-Mel," Melody says, biting her lip as soon as the word leaves her mouth.

"Mel," The man confirms with a nod. "I am Horus, Prince of Egypt. This is our pharaoh, Ra." He gestures to the man on the throne, who gives a dignified wave. Everyone immediately takes a knee, Oliver following only half a second later. Melody scrambles to copy their posture, keeping her head bowed.

"You may rise," Ra says, waving his hand. Once again, the onlookers rise at once, with Oliver only a second later. Melody slowly stands up, wiggling her fingers to work off her nervous energy.

"We would like to know, Mel, why an apprentice from a rival Pantheon saw the need to call a meeting of the Ennead," Horus growls, crossing his arms again. "With no treaty in place to protect you, we could do with you as we see fit." Oliver suddenly goes pale, his lip trembling. Melody takes a breath, reviewing her speech in her mind. I can do this, she tells herself. Just do as you practiced. And don't forget to breathe!

"My Pharaoh," She begins, feeling the knot in her stomach loosen when nobody corrects her. "My name is Melody. I'm currently in training to become the goddess Hecate. As you know, recently, a rebellion was staged by the god Loki. The treaty that kept the peace between the Pantheons of the world was broken. It is my goal-"

"We accept," Ra hums with a chuckle. Melody pauses, her mind tripping over itself to catch up with the interruption. She blinks, her mouth slowly opening as if to continue her speech.

"I - we - what?" She says, her arms falling limp at her sides. The anxious knot in her stomach disappears instantly, and Ra laughs, rising from his throne.

"Before you arrived, we discussed the need for a new treaty," Ra explains, gesturing around the room. "Many worries and complaints were voiced, but in the end, we decided on the best course of action going forward. And that is to create a new, updated treaty." Melody nods slowly, trying to keep up with his words.

"You...you did?" She mutters dumbly. Ra nods, patting Horus's shoulder.

"After one of our own apprentices was turned against us, we realized the need for change," He explains. Horus nods silently. "So we are willing to agree to a new treaty."

"As long as we know the details of that treaty first," Horus adds firmly. "That is to say, we're not just going to sign whatever you put in front of us. But we're open to negotiations with the other Pantheons." Melody lets out a shaky breath, sliding her hands over her mouth. She couldn't have asked for a better outcome.

"T-that's perfect," Melody says, beaming at Oliver. He has a thin smile, his lips twitching like they're not used to it. "Is there anything you'd like included on the treaty?"

"There is," Horus confirms, stepping up to the edge of the platform. "First; like before, we demand that gods that share an aspect be allowed to interact, so far as it goes to doing their godly duty." Melody nods quickly, warmth spreading through her chest. Horus raises his hand, holding up two fingers. "Second; we want neutral territories to be established throughout the world, where gods that don't share an aspect can meet and discuss matters as needed. That way, we won't need to rely on Hermes as our only method of communication."

"Yes, of course!" Melody replies, nodding quickly. She can feel her lips twitching now, her jaw trembling.

"However, Hermes will remain messenger of the gods," Ra adds, noting Oliver's shaking knees. "It will be his job to organize these meetings, as well as oversee them."

"R-right," Oliver says, leaning on his staff like a crutch. "But, how do you expect me to keep those meetings peaceful? Of people start to get mad at each other-"

"It's simple," A woman says, and Melody has to scan the room to see who's speaking. A woman steps forward from among the seven at the bottom of the steps. Melody does a double-take when she sees her headdress, which instead of an animal, looks like a chair. "Most Pantheons have a god or goddess of magic. Their main purpose is to empower the other gods of their Pantheon - or, if necessary, weaken them." The chair-headed woman seems to look at Melody, and she feels the same sensation she got from meeting Emelia.

"We also suggest that no meeting be made in secret," Ra adds as he settles back into his throne. "Instead, every Pantheon be made aware of the meeting and are allowed to send a representative to attend. That way, if tensions rise, everyone knows who the aggressor is. But while under such heavy watch from the other gods, I'm sure things will remain civil."

"Third," Horus continues, raising another finger. "Once this treaty is established, it will be reviewed and altered every 500 years, when a new generation of gods takes over." He lowers his hand slowly. "That way, they won't be bound by any outdated laws created by their predecessors. Hopefully, that will help us avoid a situation like the one we just faced." Melody feels a pressure build behind her eyes, but she forces her joy back, trying to keep a neutral expression. But no matter how hard she tries, she can't hide the massive smile on her face.

"I will also promise to oversee these reviews for generations to come," Ra says with a nod. "Since I doubt I will be stepping down anytime soon." Melody feels a thick tear roll down her cheek at his words, unleashing the torrent of held-back emotions. Her vision blurs as she sobs to herself, warmth and joy filling her heart.

This is more than I could have even dreamed of, she thinks to herself. Her knees shake, but she forces herself to stand. It's more than perfect. I couldn't have worded it better if I tried. Unable to form words, she nods, pawing at her face with her sleeves. One of the gods - she can't make out the headdress - steps up, offering a handkerchief. Melody takes it, dabbing at her eyes quickly.

Melody takes a moment to collect herself, reveling in her joy for only a few minutes before cleaning herself up. She straightens, sucking in a deep breath through her nose. "I'm sorry," She says when she regains her voice. "Yes, those all sound perfect. However, there are a few terms we have to discuss as well," She says, searching for whoever gave her the handkerchief. Nobody steps forward, so she presses on.

"First, we need to do away with the old legends. They do nothing but cause pain and breed resentment," She says, returning to her formal, practiced tone. "From now on, apprentices will not be forced to relive the lives of their original gods. They won't be forced to marry anyone, hurt anyone, or be punished for anything that the original gods did in their lives." Whispers ring throughout the chamber, silenced when Horus raises his arms.

"Apprentices and gods will also be free to love and marry whoever they want - even if it's a god from another Pantheon." She presses on, ignoring the muttering voices all around her. "And, if there are any burdens that the original god was forced to bear, that burden will not fall to their apprentices alone. That burden will be shared among the Pantheon as fairly as possible." Horus has to raise his arms again to silence the onlookers, their whispers turning to shouts.

"There's something that needs to be addressed with those terms," A new voice says. A boy steps forward from the Ennead; he's short, with some sort of dog headdress. Melody narrows her eyes, trying to decide if it's Osiris or Anubis. "Without Divine Relics, the old legends are the only way for an apprentice to get close to their godly identity. How do you plan to address this?" Melody nods, raising her chin.

"There are gods I know that didn't follow their legends, and still achieved godhood. That proves that-"

"You're talking about the new Hades and Persephone," The dog man says, almost spitting the names. He slips his hands into the pockets of his leather jacket, rolling his shoulders back. "They ignored one of their most important legends, and still became gods. But I think you're forgetting, they still did the rest of their training - Persephone still ate the Pomegranate of the Underworld, for example." Melody pauses, cocking her head to the side. She wasn't expecting to find someone that knew the Olympian legends so well.

"I suggest we don't do away with the old legends," He says, turning to the rest of the Ennead. "But instead, we cut out ones that are unnecessary. Each god chooses one or two myths that are unshakable parts of a god's identity, and have those act as anchors for their apprentice's training."

"That wouldn't work either," Melody counters, crossing her arms. "Take Osiris for example - one of his most famous myths is how he was cut to pieces by Set, then put back together. Can you imagine having to go through that?" Another man in the group shifts, rubbing his arm awkwardly. He also has some kind of dog for his headdress; he must be Osiris. Which means the one addressing her must be Anubis.

"I suppose...that's fair," Anubis says slowly. He crosses his arms, lowering his head. "How about this, then? We give apprentices a choice of what legends they relive. It will make training new gods take a lot longer - maybe several years longer - but I suppose it could work." Melody nods quickly, grasping onto the idea.

"And we can give apprentices time to research the legends before they have to relive them, so they can decide if they want to do it or not." Anubis hums thoughtfully, then turns to Ra and Horus at the top of the stairs.

"I think that's reasonable," He decides. Ra nods as well, and Horus sighs.

"Very well - we agree to your terms." He says, raising his head. "Let it be known - the Ennead officially agrees to the new Treaty of the Gods!" He raises his arms again, and cheers break out from all over the room. Melody sighs, feeling her knees wobble with relief again. Oliver steps up to her side, timidly offering a hand. She smiles at him and takes it, using him for support the same way he is with Caduceus.

"This meeting of the Ennead is officially over," Horus declares. One by one, the onlookers funnel out, disappearing behind the pillars. Horus and Ra descend the stairs, joining the rest of the Ennead. They begin to funnel out as well, until only four remain; Ra, Horus, Anubis, and a woman with a lioness headdress that Melody assumes is Sekhmet.

"We will have an official document made for you to bring with you," Ra assures, pulling his headdress off. The others do the same, revealing their faces. Ra looks like he could be somebody's dad, with curly, greying hair and a pudgy belly. The corners of his eyes crinkle when he smiles, showing brilliant white teeth. Horus, meanwhile, looks like a drill sergeant, with bulging muscles, neatly trimmed hair, a square jaw, and sharp, piercing eyes. Anubis looks like he could be Melody's age, with long black hair that hangs haphazardly in his face. As soon as the mask is off he slips his hands into his pockets again, offering Oliver a greeting nod. Sekhmet is the only one that keeps her headdress on.

"Now, I'm afraid there is one more matter we must discuss," Ra says, his smile fading. "It's of the utmost importance." Melody blinks at him curiously.

"Of course, what is it?"

"There is a Pantheon that you two must visit as soon as possible," He says, closing his eyes and shaking his head. "Now more than ever, they need our support."

"Who?" Oliver says curiously. Ra opens his eyes, his mouth set in a firm line.

"The ones who broke the old treaty," He says solemnly. "The Shinto."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

211K 8.8K 27
[ LOKI x READER ] [ thor: ragnarok ] C O M P L E T E D ◇ ◇ ◇ When the god of mischief shows up uninvited to your home and asks you to check on his fa...
13.3K 724 96
ARDEN SERIES : BOOK 2 & 3 Paranormal Romance Arden. The daughter of Athena. I have heard so much about you and everything you have done. Everyone say...
427K 12.7K 53
Amelia and her parents always travelled for work going to the most dangerous places around the world to help people who need medical care which is wh...
44K 1.1K 38
When she walked into the party; Celeste never to expect to meet her soulmate, the one with ocean blue eyes that haunt her dreams. But another haunts...