Monster Hunter When Fantasy C...

By Landiahazak

Probably one of the most successful video game franchises in recent years, Monster Hunter has always been a s... More

Introduction
Rath: Rathalos and Rathian
Elephants of the North
Yian
Vaal Hazak
Lynian
Blos
Titanodracon
Cave Crawlers
Gargantugons
Dinosagónia
Gliding Monkeys
Basarios and Gravios
The Three Lords
Fídisuchian
Evolutionary Anomalies from the Sea
Airborne Oddities
Kushala Daora
Deviljho
Bazelgeuse
Rajang
Vouvalosauria
Urban Wildlife
Nargacuga
Temnoceran
Penicauda
Equigon
Brachydios
The End

Skýlosávra

95 5 0
By Landiahazak

During the Permian period, the Earth was ruled by non-mammalian Synapsids which came in a variety of shapes, sizes, and abilities. Some were robust and powerfully built predators, capable of killing with a single bite, while others were large herbivores with bizarre head designs. There were small burrowers, sail-backed oddities, and even arboreal critters.

Consisting of two clades, Caseasauria and Eupelycosauria, these proto-mammals enjoyed millions of years of success. However, around 251 million years ago the Permian extinction nearly wiped out all Synapsids, along with many other species of fauna and flora.

It took approximately 3 million years for the Earth to recover from the most devastating mass extinction in history, and when it did, the world now belonged to the Sauropsids. These new rulers would quickly diversify, thrive, and outcompete most of the remaining proto-mammals, forcing every kind of Synapsids into hiding.

But when an asteroid smashed into Earth about 66 million years ago, the balance of power was shifted back in the Synapsids' favor, with Mammals soon becoming the breakout stars of this new world. However, the Sauropsids weren't going to lose their crown without a fight, and to this day, both types of Amniotes continue to battle for top spot.

For the most part, this war is set between the new arrivals; however, there are some old warriors too. Despite being much less widespread than they used to be, there are still some families of proto-mammals left, and one of them are the Skýlosávras.

After hiding for millions of years, this family of Therocephalians has recently emerged from the shadows and has become very successful. The most recent addition to the Skýlosávras, as well as the most successful, are the Lunagarons, howling Neotherapsids who can switch between bipedal and quadrupedal stances.

By becoming bigger, mimicking the body plans of true Mammals, and evolving some truly chilling abilities, Lunagarons have managed to spread throughout most of Eurasia. But not all Skýlosávras have taken this same route to become successful. In the Pacific Northwest, Koukouvamati savras, 1.2 meter long proto-mammals, have evolved to become pack hunters who overwhelm their prey with numbers and teamwork.

Known as Shamos by the local Mountain Grimalkyne tribes, these predominantly nocturnal predators differ from their relatives and ancestors in two key ways. The first is that they lack the suborder's iconic elongated fangs which most of the members have, instead opting for a mouth full of small, backwards-facing, needle-like teeth. Despite not having particularly powerful jaws, Shamos can open their mouth incredibly wide, allowing them to sink their teeth over a wider surface. Because of this and their backwards pointing fangs, it's harder for opponents to throw them off once they've bitten down. Even if their targets manage to dislodge them, the shapes of their dentition ensures that chunks of flesh will be ripped out in the process.

When taking down smaller animals, such as opossums and raccoons, their jaws are all that's needed to make a successful kill. However, when it comes to larger animals, such as deer and young elks, they'll also deploy their claws to rip and potentially even gut open their prey. Due to their lanky build, teamwork is essential for Shamos packs to take down animals larger than themselves. By using their numbers and agility, they'll attempt to separate and surround their targets.

When they've isolated and trapped their victim, the Neotherapsids will continuously harass their prey by biting and clawing at it. The ultimate goal is to have their target exhaust itself, until it no longer is capable of fighting back. Once this happens, the pack can go in for the kill, without having to worry too much about being injured. The pack will also try to drive their prey into bodies of water, where their fish-like scales, and surprisingly powerful limbs, allow them to dart around. By doing this, not only do they have the advantage in maneuverability, but their victim loses stamina at an accelerated rate.

However, this tactic isn't always successful when deployed during the day since their prey has an easier time spotting them. This can lead to their targets fleeing before they're ready to attack, or having their intended victims' allies come to the rescue, forcing them to back off. Because of this, Shamos have more success taking down large animals when hunting at night. However, due to the density of the vegetation in the Pacific Northwest, some areas are nearly pitch black at night. Luckily for the Neotherapsids, this is where the second feature that makes them unique comes in.

Since the size of their eyes are gargantuan, Shamos have equally massive openings called pupils which allow them to collect larger quantities of light. In addition to this, their lenses are also huge, making it possible for more light to be focused on their receptors. Unfortunately for the Neotherapsids, this also means they're more sensitive to sudden changes in lighting, making it easier for them to be blinded; something their main rival, the Tzitzi-Ya-Kus, take full advantage of.

But there's another thing that makes their eyes unique from most Skýlosávras. Besides allowing them to see clearly in almost complete darkness, their orbs face forwards, meaning they have great depth perception. Thanks to this incredible vision, Shamos can easily locate and stalk prey in the dark, giving them a huge advantage. In fact, this ability is so useful, that it's one of the reasons why Mountain Grimalkynes tame them, transforming the Neotherapsids into great lookouts while the tribes sleep.

Mountain Grimalkynes don't just use the animals for guarding though. Due to the Shamos' size and cooperativeness, they're the perfect hunting partners for the Fellyns. The Neotherapsids can either be ridden, allowing the riders to keep up with their targets, or used to steer prey towards the awaiting hunters. In some cases, large individuals can also be used as pack animals, allowing the tribes to carry more things with them when on the move.

However, it's not just the Mountain Grimalkyne who get something out of this relationship. Shamos also benefit from having the Fellyns around, as they're guaranteed to get food. In fact, it's very likely that this partnership started out because the Neotherapsids started scavenging the tribes' leftovers. But no matter how this relationship started, it eventually blossomed into a strong friendship. Just like humans and dogs, there are many stories of Shamos putting themselves in danger to save their Fellyn partners.

Because of this relationship between proto-mammal and Lynian, Shamos are in the least concerned category. However, both domesticated and wild individuals are facing a threat to their way of life. In recent years, deforestation has devastated the old-growth forests Shamos, Mountain Grimalkynes, humans, and many more species depend on. Because of clear cut logging, the regions are loosing their biodiversity, water quality, and salmon, a creature who plays a vital role in the health of these ecosystems. But most important of all, these actions are releasing large amounts of carbon which only worsens global warming.

It's incredibly important to protect these forests, not only for nature, but for ourselves as well. Even if you look at it from an industrial perspective, it should be obvious that destroying the environment is still a bad idea, as it takes hundreds of years for these massive trees to regrow, meaning that it's not a rentable resource, and sooner or later, the profits will stop coming in.

Today, both large organizations, small communities, and even Mountain Grimalkyne tribes, are fighting for the end of deforestation in the old-growth forests. If you want to help keep these important ecosystems safe, supporting those who are trying to defend these magnificent woods, showing why even dead trees are crucial for the region's health, pushing government for an increase in protected areas, planning new trees, and reporting any illegal logging operations are some ways you can do that. The forests of the Pacific Northwest are truly amazing environments, and if we do our part in ensuring that they'll continue to exist, we can secure the future of the Shamos, whether they're wild or tamed.

======================================

Not all Skýlosávras are as lucky as the Shamos. Instead of being blessed with lush forests that are full of life, and having partners to help them hunt, some of them have to fight tooth and claw to survive in their environments.

Few places are as hostile to life as the caverns of Vietnam. Coated in a sea of corpses and dangerous Effluvim, only to toughest of species can survive here, and the Skýlosávra, Kolasilykosuchus rottus, has the tools needed to live in this world of death.

Better known as Odogarons, these 2.7 meter long and 1.2 meter tall Neotherapsids may be recent additions to the rotten caverns, but they have quickly become one of its most dominant predators. However, these proto-mammals weren't already perfectly designed for this type of environment.

The most obvious difference between Odogarons and their surface dwelling counterparts is their crimson and white scales. In other environments, such bright colors would most certainly get the Neotherapsids spotted when hunting; however, in the carcass filled caves of Vietnam, this design works as it permits the animals to stay camouflaged in the mounds of decomposition. The scales of these animals are decently thick, with the white ones on their tail becoming extremely durable as they get older. This makes it harder for them to get injured on the jagged bones and rocks that dot their homes, something that's incredibly important when a simple scratch could quickly become infected here.

Instead of having eyelids, their small blue eyes are protected by corneas. However, their protection is limited, and in addition to the already low light levels of their environment, Odogarons are almost completely blind. But despite only being able to see what's directly in front of them, Odogarons are still more than capable of navigating their habitat. In response to their failing eyesight, the Neotherapsids have evolved an amazing sense of smell, capable of rivaling those of bears and Neotyrannids. This sense of smell is believed to have originally evolved to help the animals sniff out the freshest corpses for consumption; however this ability soon became the eyes of these creatures.

Since Odogarons are almost always inhaling and exhaling to paint a picture of their surroundings, it's only a matter of time before they take in Effluvim. To avoid getting eaten from the inside-out by the microscopic organisms, Odogarons have retained the dragon energy of their relatives; however, instead of using the gas to attack the immune system of their prey, these Neotherapsids use it on themselves to eradicate any Effluvim they may have ingested. Over generations, their elemental ability evolved into what could be considered as a second type of white blood cell.

Although Odogarons still have the ability to eject dragon energy from their maw, its quality is overwhelmed by the amount of Effluvim on the outside, turning it into little more than a steam-like substance. As this feature is now redundant, this only really happens during proteinogenic overdrive.

After eating especially large meals, Odogarons' metabolism will be sent into overdrive, causing the animals' veins to swell and become red because of the increase in blood flow. The Neotherapsids will also become much faster, stronger, and aggressive in this state, acting as a sort of secondary adrenaline rush. However, because their bodies are working harder then what they're used to, this state quickly shreds through the animals' stamina, making it impossible to maintain for long. Once they've eaten through their energy reserve, Odogarons are guaranteed to be exhausted which is why they'll only ever use this mode when desperate. To ensure that they can use this state when needed, Odogarons will cash their meals for later consumption. On top of that, this behavior also allows them to keep food away from scavengers and flesh devouring bacteria like the Effluvim.

This behavior may seem redundant at first considering where Odogarons live; however, any fresh carcasses in these cave systems are significantly more valuable than those who've been rotting for a while. Because of this, everything will be out to get their jaws on these resources, making for some fierce competition. Due to their sense of smell, Odogarons are usually the firsts to arrive at the kills; however if their adversaries beat them to the corpses, they have multiple ways of dominating. The first method they have is simply being aggressive. By rushing in while howling and showing off their weapons, the initial shock may be enough to scare off rivals. But if this tactic doesn't work, the Neotherapsids still have plenty of other tools they can deploy.

Thanks to long and powerful jaws, they can easily grab and throw smaller creatures away, or just pull the bodies away from other scavengers. However, if their opponents are larger than themselves, they'll unleash their deadliest weapons. Odogarons have incredibly odd toe structures. Despite having six digits on each foot, something which is already unusual, the four inner toes have two claws each, meaning these animals have ten bladed weapons at the end of each limb.

It's unknown when, or how this happened, but the first joint of the inner toes have keratinous protrusions, technically giving the appearance of possessing a second row of claws. These pseudo claws are blunt and made to give Odogarons traction and movement. Unlike the four pseudo claws, the six real claws are retractable, ensuring they stay razor-sharp. These so called true claws allow the Skýlosávras to be excellent climbers; however, their main purpose is for fighting and hunting.

Thanks to three rows of jagged spikes, the longer retractable claws can not only dig deep into flesh, but as the Neotherapsids pull them out, the ridges leave ragged cuts in the wounds, making the injured creatures bleed profusely. Even if their targets manage to escape, the heavy bleeding weakens them, leaves a blood trail from the Skýlosávras to follow with their sense of smell, and gives Effluvim access to the animals' body, quickening the victims' death.

Initially, both true and pseudo claws are armed with these spikes. However as the Odogarons get older, the ridges seen on the latter are quickly worn down, due to repeated contact with the ground. Meanwhile, because the real claws are retractable and aren't used as frequently, they don't suffer as much wear and are always ready to be taken out at a moment's notice.

But even with these dangerous weapons, Odogarons aren't the apex predators of their environment, as their smaller stature allows them to be pushed around by larger creatures. Unfortunately for them, their poor eyesight means that they can't always identify what's food and what's competition. Even with their amazing sense of smell, these Neotherapsids can find themselves in situations where the wind is blowing aromas away from them, meaning that they can be easily surprised.

When this happens, the Skýlosávras automatically attack out of fright; however, if they do that with something that's much larger than themselves, they'll almost certainly get thrown around. Vaal Hazaks are especially prone to scaring Odogarons, as not only are the Elder Dragons well camouflaged, but the corpses they're covered in prevent the Neotherapsids from smelling them, essentially making the former invisible to the latter. By the time Odogarons realize that the Elder Dragons are there, it's already too late and they panic, making the grave mistake of attacking the larger creature. Of course, due to the differences in size and abilities, all documents of hostile encounters between them ends with the Vaal Hazaks coming out on top.

Because of all the competition, Odogarons will occasionally climb out of the caverns to hunt in the Vietnamese jungles. When this happened in ancient times, people would take this as a sign that a sinner would die, and be dragged down to the underworld and be devoured by the Neotherapsids. Just like Vaal Hazaks, Odogarons are associated with Đįa Mâu. Though unlike the the Elder Dragons whose job it was to help the goddess in any way possible, the Skýlosávras had a specific purpose; to collect and torment those who have chosen the path of hatred and violence. Unfortunately, everything changed when colonists arrived. Odogarons were unsurprisingly demonized by the newcomers, and sadly, this interpretation of a monster bathed in blood still stands.

Due to the inaccessibility of their natural habitat to humans, Odogarons are thankfully in the least concerned category; however, as soon as they leave the safety of the caves, they become targets for poachers who shoot them for their claws and hide. The Neotherapsids are also killed out of fear and ignorance.

Although the bulk of these animals aren't in danger, it's still important to protect them. Vietnam does have a good plan on how to protect wildlife both on the surface and in the underworld, the problem is that no one is taking action or enforcing the laws that are in place. In more recent years it has gotten better, but there's still a lot to be done. The most important thing is to get the government to enforce the laws they've made and continue acting on the plans they have in-store for the future.

By showing them that you care and want better protection for wildlife, as well as helping conservation organizations and efforts to stop the illegal trafficking of animals and their body parts, you too can help save Vietnam's amazing biodiversity, both above and below the earth.

======================================

Odogarons might venture out of the rotting caverns and into the jungles on occasions, but for the most part, they stay in the same region for a large portion of their lives. However, the same can't be said for the creatures they evolved from.

33 million years ago, a species of Skýlosávra, known as Kolasilykosuchus maximus, made their way from North America to Asia. There, they eventually evolved into the modern Kolasilykosuchus erebus.

When the rotten cave systems of Vietnam appeared, a small population of these Neotherapsids became isolated from the rest of the world, turning into a new species: the Odogarons. But despite being incredibly closely related, K. erebus, better known as Ebony Odogarons, have very different lifestyles from their subterranean relatives.

At 3 meters in length and 1.3 in height, it's easy to see where Ebony Odogarons got their name. These almost demonic looking creatures are covered in black and dark blue scales, with red accents around their face and neck. Because these Skýlosávras are nomadic, they have evolved this color palette to help them blend in at night and in dark areas, as well as to just be less conspicuous in general.

Found all over Europe, Asia, and parts of North Africa, these Neotherapsids are constantly on the move, searching for temporary shelters and their next meal. Unlike their relatives, Ebony Odogarons can't just find a carcass at a moment's notice; instead, they must actively hunt for prey. Because Ebony Odogarons are usually forced to hunt more often than their relatives, and they don't spend most of their lives in near complete darkness, their eyes are still functional, and they haven't lost their eyelids. But with that said, theses creatures still can't see very well and continue to primarily use their sense of smell to navigate the world.

These Neotherapsids also have the unique claw structure of their relatives, allowing them to negotiate even the most challenging of terrains, whether that be unstable dunes or near vertical cliffsides. Of course, Ebony Odogarons predominantly use their pseudo claws when traveling, making sure that the real ones are always sharp and ready for action.

When hunting, Ebony Odogarons will modify their style depending on the environment. In places with dense coverage, the Neotherapsids will act similarly to big cats, using the obstacles to creep ever closer to their target until they're in range and burst out in an explosive sprint. However, if there's nowhere to hide, these creatures will instead make their presence known and constantly follow their prey. Because of their surprising endurance, the Skýlosávras can keep this up for multiple days. If the predators are lucky, their targets will become used to them and let their guard down, giving the Ebony Odogarons the perfect chance to strike. Even if the initial attack is a failure, the deep wounds their claws inflict are sure to slow down and drastically weaken their prey. Eventually, the injuries will take their toll and the Skýlosávras' victim will collapse, allowing the hunters to go in for the kill.

But sometimes, even the ragged gashes aren't enough to dispatch their victims. Luckily for the Neotherapsids, they still have one more weapon in their arsenal. Thanks to a gas produced by a collection of bacteria endemic to the animals' intestines, Ebony Odogarons can use dragon energy to further weaken or even kill their prey by attacking the immune system. Since this gas could also attack their own immune system, the Neotherapsids are constantly emitting it through their jaws and in-between gaps in their scales. Thus even the simple act of biting can infect a prey with dragon energy.

Yet even at a distance, creatures aren't safe from this unique weapon. Since they never know when they'll get their next meal, Ebony Odogarons carry chunks of meat in their jaws. Normally these pieces are mostly used to keep the animals going during times where food is scarce, or to enter proteinogenic overdrive in emergencies. But, when they can afford it, they also have the ability to regurgitate partially digested globs of flesh, now imbued with dragon energy, as projectiles against targets. With all these tools at their disposal, these Neotherapsids can take on some truly powerful opponents, an essential ability since there are plenty of animals who could seriously damage them. However, other creatures aren't the only thing that can threaten these Skýlosávras.

Because of their nomadic lifestyle, Ebony Odogarons must deal with a variety of weather conditions. However, thanks to their tough scales, these animals are safe from adverse weather conditions. Another thing that makes their nomadic lifestyle easier is being generalist carnivores, meaning they'll hunt just about anything. However, their most effective technique of surviving in a constantly changing climate is also their simplest: just keep moving.

Since they aren't bound by territories, the black Skýlosávras can move into a different area when the current conditions become undesirable. This does mean that these animals do have a higher chance of wandering into the domains of other predators though, and just like Odogarons, this can cause the invaders to panic and sometimes lash out at the wrong species.

However, in more recent years, a newer and bigger threat has appeared for the obsidian colored Neotherapsids: humans. Although their unpredictable movements makes it harder for poachers to find them, these people still pose a danger to the Skýlosávras. In addition to this, roads, settlements, and fences have created barriers for these animals, forcing them to go around or cross potentially dangerous areas, as well as making it more difficult to track down prey. Ignorance is also a major concern, as there are those who may see Ebony Odogarons and immediately think they're dangerous and need to be taken out.

Because of this, Ebony Odogarons are in the vulnerable category and at risk of dropping further down. But there is something we can do to help them. By building tunnels and bridges made specifically for wildlife, supporting anti-poaching organizations, and informing people about the real nature of these Skýlosávras, you can do your part in aiding the population of these incredible creatures to recover.

======================================

The Skýlosávras are a testament to the power of evolution and the resilience of life. After having survived so many mass extinctions and faced a variety of opponents, these Neotherapsids are finally beginning to climb out of the shadows and return to the light.

With gigantic eyes, thin frames, and fish-like scales, the Shamos may look like an amalgamation of many different animals, but everything about them is perfectly adapted for life in the Pacific Northwest. Whether they live in wild packs, or work together with Mountain Grimalkyne tribes, these Skýlosávras have shown that they may be small, but they're not to be underestimated.

Armed with incredibly dangerous claws and powerful jaws, the fast and agile Odogarons may be new to Vietnam's cave systems, but they've quickly made a reputation for themselves. Many people believe these animals are the crimson savages of the rotting caverns, but in reality, these misunderstood proto-mammal are fighting because they're easily surprised, and trying to defend themselves, not because they're super aggressive towards everything.

A nomadic Neotherapsids as dark as a moonless night, the dragon energy spewing Ebony Odogarons are some truly extraordinary animals. Always on the move, these adaptable Skýlosávras may seem demonic, but in reality, they're just like any other species.

The rule of the non-mammalian Synapsids may have ended a long time ago, but even now, there are those who continue to survive in this ever changing world. The Skýlosávras may have finally taken a stand, but only time will tell if they manage to bring back the glory days of their ancestors.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.8K 3.6K 35
When the world was first overrun by monsters, I thought a botanist like me didn't stand a change at surviving. Yet here I am months after the pretern...
2.3K 120 37
Anyone who has played any Monster Hunter game will have probably noticed at some point that the ways these so called "monsters" act are strangely fam...
659 35 12
I'm back with a new book. This time I'm going to show you the many amazing, frightening and sometimes downright strange species that were lost to tim...
31 0 3
A thousand years after the fall of the human race, Earth has recovered and is bursting with more wonders than ever before. The seven great continents...