Summerguard

By PhantomAce9083

Paxton Iustus' American Dream is to finish university and work her ranks up to becoming chief of the NYPD. Wh... More

Prologue
Characters
CHAPTER 1: Falling into You
CHAPTER 2: Me or the mob?
CHAPTER 3: A Frightening Offer
CHAPTER 4: What Detour?
CHAPTER 5: Recruitment
CHAPTER 6: Beaumont Pitch
CHAPTER 7: Status Report
CHAPTER 8: Busted
CHAPTER 9: Interlude
CHAPTER 10: Be With Me
CHAPTER 11: Respite
CHAPTER 12: Queen's Palace
CHAPTER 13: Field Day
CHAPTER 14: Ladies' Day
CHAPTER 15: Monumental Day
CHAPTER 16: Learn a Lesson
CHAPTER 17: Masquerade Ball
CHAPTER 18: Go Home
CHAPTER 19: Reconciliation
CHAPTER 20: A Former Friend
CHAPTER 21: Stage Two
CHAPTER 22: Investigation
CHAPTER 23: Independence Day
CHAPTER 24: The Stray
CHAPTER 25: Ambush
CHAPTER 26: This Is Not Heaven
CHAPTER 27: Awake
CHAPTER 28: Answer Her
CHAPTER 29: Prepare Yourselves
CHAPTER 30: The News
CHAPTER 31: There Is Hope
CHAPTER 32: Cavalry
CHAPTER 33: This is Who I am
CHAPTER 34: She's A Nightmare (Part I)
CHAPTER 35: She's A Nightmare (Part II)
CHAPTER 36: Coming Soon
CHAPTER 37: Fight For Gold
CHAPTER 38: Aid and Litter
CHAPTER 39: Eulogy
CHAPTER 41: Absence of Mind
CHAPTER 42: Friend Family or Foe

CHAPTER 40: Strength in Hearts

65 2 0
By PhantomAce9083

~CHRYSOS~

The entire ride, I stayed silent, just watching out the window as we passed building after building. I didn't pay attention to any of it. I didn't pay attention to the people, the sky, or the historic monuments that everyone loves to see. It was all a blur that flickered by like a laggy video, making me dizzy and tired. But I couldn't sleep and don't think I will. At least not at my own will and peace.

However, Nicky and Joy are asleep in the backseat with Spades curled up in between them. Bennet takes the hour to drive them back to the hotel before coming back to drive me to the hospital. I try to soothe myself by rubbing my hands together. It's not the same as her, but I can imagine. 

When I arrive, the staff clear a path for me and bow their heads low in anxiousness. News of the sting operation that happened a few days before has easily reached many worldwide. It was all that any popular news outlet could talk about. There are mixed reviews about me, as always. Few see me as a hero. But most fear me and the power I hold. Especially to rid of such a dangerous criminal enterprise. But none know of what truly happened.

However, I ignore their cold stares and follow through with every step that I have pathed for these past days. Go through the automatic doors, five paces to the elevators, twelve seconds to get to the third floor, then another sixteen paces to the right. When I arrive, I be sure to collect myself and put on a smile, in case she is already awake. I must hold the optimism she is awake.

I walk into her room and smile at the bed, but sigh when I am greeted with the same silence and darkness as yesterday. I take a seat by her side and feel the warmth of her hand. I rub her gently and peck it lightly.

"Hey, Paxty. It's Chrysos. I don't know if you can hear me, but I am here. I hope it wasn't too long, but I got a lot done. The funeral went by smoothly and there wasn't any drama. I'm safe thanks to you and I think you literally gassed the entire SS Tribe. That's insane. You're insane. You jumped out of a plane. And you are definitely going to have stories to tell when we get home. So can you please wake up? I want to go home with you and see you smile again," I ask lightly, hoping she will hear me.

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. 

"You promised me you would stay with me and always protect me. I make that promise for you too, Paxty. I love you," I kiss her palm and wipe the tears on my face before they can taint her skin. "I'm staying strong for you and even though the doctors and everyone say that a collision like what you have suffered is impossible to live with, I just want you to live. I won't let you go. I know that you have so much fight in your spirit. You are stronger than an engine of a plane and five men. There is nothing on this Earth that can take you away from me. Only God can. You are a fighter and my heroic fool."

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

There is no change in her and I sigh, before opening up the book.

"My bounty is as boundless as the sea. My love as deep. The more I give to thee. The more I have, for both are infinite."

~~~~

Nudge. 

"Five more minutes."

Nudge.

"Leave me alone, Spades," I grumble, snuggling deeper into the mattress. 

"You're drooling more than Spades."

Finally, I give in and rub the tiredness from my eyes. My gosh, everything is stiff. I shake out my limbs and rub the knots that will unlikely loosen until I am at least fifty. I stretch myself out and realize. After the fogginess clears, the effects of the past few days hit me in full force. 

I have had no sense of rhythm. My COO has taken charge of the company for the time being which I am extremely thankful for, but I feel terribly and anxiously that the company is in chaos overseas because of all of the happenings with the skanky serpent tribe. I have had to watch via the call of every destruction and pummeling that my company is going through. It's alive, but hanging in there and I don't know what to do. The public and press are praising the crackdown of the SS Tribe but have mixed reviews of my impending involvement, possible punishments, and anything to get me off the platform I have built. I'm trying not to listen to their incessant buzz. But the harassment is tiring. I want to focus on Paxton. Nothing else. But my job is on the line. 

"I am going to ignore the fact you called me a dog. Consider it a warning before I revoke your salary by ten percent," I mutter, stretching out my limbs.

Bennet chuckled and gives me a kiss on the cheek before setting down some supplies for me. It's been difficult for me to be away from Paxton. To be exact, I can't eat. I can't sleep. And the only moments I ever leave the room is for hygiene and the bathroom. Everything else is nonexistent. Every second I am away from her, it is every second I fear that she will wake up and I am not there.

"You must eat, Miss. Beaumont," Bennet protrudes a bag of food.

The best food actually. Once I pop the lid of the container, the acute aroma of white wine and buttered mushrooms hits my nose. Freshly chopped onions and buttery button mushrooms glaze on top with chicken breast and linguine pasta. A perfect chicken marsala. 

Despite its rich appeal, I'm not hungry. This isn't for me. I don't ask Bennet to cook the authentic Italian dish for myself to salivate in front of my comatose girlfriend. Quite the contrary. This is for her. Some studies show that despite her not being awake, she is still quite aware and possibly even attentive to everything around her. Not through sight or communication, but through other senses. So I read out loud her favorite Shakespeare plays, speak to her about my day, take her hand in mine, and now let her smell the delicious delights of Bennet's cooking. I just hope for something to elicit a response from her. A twitch of a finger or a lift of a smile. Anything. 

"Okay, thank you," I said and before eating, I held my gaze on her longing for her to react to the delightfully intrusive dish.

Come on. You can do it. I know you can pull through, Paxton. You can't resist food. I mean, you love food. You said so the first day you came to greet me for work. And for our first date. You cooked for us and no one has ever gone about their way to make a dinner feel so special. I can taste the thought, hard work, and love that you put through the occasion. Even though it was your first, you are such an amazing and god-gifted person. 

After silently talking to Paxton, nothing occurs. Why? The only good thing that has ever been given to me in my life is slowly being taken away from me. I don't ask for a family anymore. I don't care if I'm not rich or famous. I never asked for any of that. I just want one thing. And Paxton is everything. 

"Miss. Beaumont, the food will turn cold," Bennet interrupts my soft whispers to Paxton. 

I turn at him with a tired glare, "Do you think I care? My girlfriend is in a coma and you must disturb me because the food will barely lose Celsius."

"Ahem, my apologies. I will leave," Bennet states defeatedly.

"Yeah, leave me alone. I don't need you breathing down my neck every hour. You're not my father! I don't need you to act like one," I roar out aimlessly.

He halts abruptly and turns at me with a look of hurt. 

"You d-don-n't mean t-that," he gulps, holding back a slight glossiness in his eyes.

"DID I STUTTER? LEAVE!" I screech, tears flooding out of me.

He closes the door and I cry into my sleeve, holding onto Paxton's hand. 

~~~~

~THE NEXT DAY~

"Do not let those skanks get anywhere near my company. I am not even giving any consideration to selling my company to opportunistic wannabes of Wall Street. Keep up our defense, but if any of them go over, don't be afraid to use the offensive. But I am very glad to hear of your engagement, I promise when I get back, you will be rewarded with your proper leave. Thank you, Helena. And give my thanks to everyone who has returned to work," I conclude the executive meeting.

"Of course. And don't worry about us, Miss. Beaumont. Remember you're not alone. Focus on yourself and on Miss. Iustus. We offer good hopes here," COO Helena waves before signing off. 

I close my computer shut and sigh, looking back at Paxton. Her steady breaths and return of coloring give me hope. But without her, I truly feel alone. 

Knock. Knock.

"Come in," I said.

Nicky and Joy walk in, smiles beaming radiantly. But it's not real. They pity me and are putting on a strong front. I think it is cute they are trying to be strong for me, but it is unnecessary and it makes me uncomfortable. 

"How are you, Chrysos? Sup Paxton!" Nicky says casually.

"I'm fine. What's up with you two?" I eye the two of them as they awkwardly stand there.

"Haha, what? There is nothing up with us. Why would you think that? I have a boyfriend and actually, I need to get back home. That's why we are here. Not we. I... I mean me. Nothing between us. I mean Nicky is nice, but yeah, nothing is up. Between us," Joy rambles on. 

Okay?

"Anyways. We are good. Joy is heading home to go back to work. Her boss called and it sounded serious. And uh her boyfriend too?" Nicky clarifies. 

"Okay, have a safe flight. Thank you for being here and I'm sorry it had to be in such circumstances. Connect with me anytime if you need anything. I owe you my life," I stand up and give her a hug of gratitude.

"It's what I do, no need to thank me. And yeah, stay safe and I know Paxton will pull through. With a love as strong as you guys, it's impossible to not beat anything. I wish I had that. It's so incredible," she beams. 

I nod with a small smile, "Thank you."

Joy gives me a small wave and I watch as she says goodbye to Nicky who hangs stiffly in the hug. Once she leaves, it leaves Nicky, Paxton, and me in the room. 

"Nicky, why are you still here?" I question.

"Watching over you. My job," she responds. 

I clench my fist. Her job. Right. 

"You should just go. I don't need a babysitter. I'm fine," I seethed through clenched teeth. 

She raises her eyebrow in confusion, "But..."

"Let me be more clear. You should go back to the States with Joy. If you want to be with her, you should go. I don't want to hold you back because of obligation. I'm fine on my own, as I have been since the beginning of my life," I state.

"But, you don't know what danger could be lurking after you and I..." she tries to retort, but I hold up my hand, "I don't need to depend on anyone, especially you. Go be with someone who actually cares, because you don't care enough."

Her eyes spread wide, "I didn't mean that."

"Whatever," I sigh, too tired to argue.

She takes a step to leave before turning back to me, "Despite your attitude and clear distaste towards everyone in your life, you are lucky. You are lucky to have people who care about you. You are stubborn to shut us all out. But don't. Some people aren't even fortunate to have what you have. I would know."

I bury my head in my arms, cradling my cheek on Paxton's arm. I know she is right, but my head and my heart can't comprehend. 

"Paxton, I feel so lost without you. You are the missing piece in my life and I thought I would never need anything in my life, but without you, it makes me realize, I need you. I'm so selfish and I hate it, but it's the truth. I need you," I beg softly.

"We all need you, PA PA! Move, mama!" two children about the same age barrel straight through the door. 

Before they can tackle Paxton on the bed, an older woman grabs the two little ones by the back of their shirt and pants. Woah!

"I am so sorry. Precious! Prince! I told you to behave. Paxton's girlfriend is still here. What did I say about being respectful and waiting your turn?" Mrs. Iustus scorns the kids. 

"Sorry, mama," they reply in unison which is so adorable and eery. 

They must be the twins. Precious is the little girl with Nike shorts and a purple top and Prince is the little boy with a blue polo shirt and shorts. And Mrs. Iustus is almost a reflection of Paxton. Even with two kids in her arms, she is incredibly fit and holds them at her side until they calm down. The only difference between Paxton and her mom is their hair and their hands. Paxton's hands are fresh from her many battles and her mom's hands are clean but dry, probably from wearing gloves. I would know because many of my team has to wear gloves often as well. Paxton's hair is filled with colorful beads, but her mom does not have any hair and is buzzed to fit her very intimidating features. 

"You must be Mrs. Iustus. We talked over the phone. I'm so glad you got the tickets," I straighten myself out and extend my hand. 

She ignores it and lifts me off the ground in a crushing hug, "Oh, darling. Call me, Amira. Thank you for helping us come here. This is Prince and Precious."

"Hello! I'm Precious. You look like a queen! Can I braid your hair?" Precious says enthusiastically.

"You're pretty. I'm Prince. Can I be your Prince?" Prince ogles at me with dreamy cuteness. 

"Prince!" Precious eyes her brother.

I shake my head, "It's okay, but you have to wait your turn. Your sister is my girlfriend and my knight. And you can braid my hair later."

The children shrug their shoulders and sit silently next to Paxton, watching her earnestly.

"I will be outside," I smile. 

"I'm glad you are alright honey. Paxton told me what had happened before everything. And I don't blame you for this. She loves you and not even I could stop her from going after what her heart wants," she takes my seat and caresses Paxton's hand.

"Thank you. Your daughter is beyond incredible and I love her too," I said bashfully.

Closing the door, I let out a breath of awe. Did I just meet my girlfriend's family? 

"They're cute. I met them when I was in the hospital. You'll get used to them," Nicky breaks away from my thoughts. 

I didn't even notice she was sitting on the floor next to the door. Bennet is standing next to her.

"You stayed. Both of you," I observed.

After all of the trouble I had put through them, I didn't think they would stay. 

"You're not alone, Chrysos. No matter how hard you try and push us away, we aren't going anywhere. And if you need us, we are here. We are your friends and we are your family," Bennet spoke up.

Nicky nods in agreement. I sit down next to Nicky and breathe out deeply.

"I'm so sorry that I have been such a prick these past few days. None of you deserve that. All of you have been such angels to me; literally and figuratively. I was just so angry and impatient and tired. I let out my frustrations on all of you when you guys were just trying to help me."

"I am sorry Nicky for trying to push you away and saying you didn't care. You are the most caring and funniest friend I can ever know. It was insensitive of me to say any of those things to you when I didn't even know that you might have gone through something worse."

"I apologize to you Bennet for screaming at you and saying that you weren't my father. Despite my mouth running off in drunk, I do actually think of you as my father. More than blood, you are my father. And you are sacrificing your time away from your loved one to be here with me. You have always looked after me and been with me through my best and my worst. And that's what a father is. It doesn't matter if I was a Morris or a Beaumont, you looked after me like I was yours. I can't be more thankful," I breathe deeply, saying each word with my heart and not my cloudy mind. 

"Will you forgive me?" I ask softly.

They smile brightly and throw their arms around me. 

"You're such a child. Of course, I forgive you. I understand that you're going through rough spots. I won't take it personally," Nicky grins.

"I forgive you as well. As your honorary father, I will always forgive you and always look after you. I'm glad you have seen your mistake and I hope you will get stronger," Bennet adds. 

I hug them tighter and they don't complain as I melt deeper. And deeper. Until sleep and comfort swallow me in. 

~~~~

"I need to use the bathroom," Nicky groans.

"What do you want me to do?" Bennet whispers back to her.

"I'm gonna tip her head to you and you watch her," she whispers back.

"But she's drooling!" he seethes.

"YEAH! ON ME!" she whisper-yells to him. 

There is some shuffling in the background and a soft click of a door. 

"Take her to rest inside. The kids are waiting for me to feed them," Amira Iustus said. 

I feel myself being carried and after a minute of walking, I feel myself being gently placed down on a chair and my head on the mattress of a bed. 

"She's pretty like Sleeping Beauty," Prince pokes my cheek. 

"PRINCE!" Precious yells. 

My eyes twitch awake, but I don't open them fully. Instead, I lift a mischievous smile. Nobody is allowed to poke me when I sleep. 

"RAWR!" I pounce on the little ones and begin tickling them on the floor. 

Laughter fills the room as Prince tries to get out of my clutches. Precious mocks her brother for being rude and taunts him for being ticklish. 

"Haha. You're ticklish. I am not. That's what you get," Precious giggles, kicking her feet as she sits on the floor. 

"You're a meanie, stupid. Stop it. Why me?" he swats at me and tries to get at me. 

"Ya being too loud, Prince. Laugh softer, or you'll wake up Paxton," Precious rolls her eyes. 

"Don't bother. I love all of your laughs."

...

.......

.....................

"PAXTON!"

Precious and Prince rush to their sister's side and engulf her in the most heartwarming hug. They smother her in kisses and talk over each other about how they miss her and other random things I couldn't catch. I get to my feet and nothing is functioning. My body has frozen solid and everything is in a crazy blur. I can't stop staring at her. Into her sharp obsidian eyes. She's awake. She did it. 

"Are you okay, miss?" Paxton rasps dryly, looking at me in worry. 

I snap myself out of the trance and rush to her side, "How could you say that? You're the one in the hospital. You're awake. You made us so worried. I was a complete mess without you." Tears run down my cheek as I clutch her hand. The two little ones are now crying and holding onto my arm and Paxton's arm.

"That's so sweet, but I'm really tired. My head hurts a bit, but I feel okay. Do you have any water?" she points to her throat. 

"Yes, of course," I nod and run out calling for the doctor. 

Hospital staff and Amira go rushing in at the news of Paxton being awake. Nicky and Bennet are rambling in disbelief. They are asking me for details, but I am too lost in happiness. She's awake. She's made it. Everything is going to be fine.

The doctor comes out a moment later and tells us to go in, but not crowd the space by the bed. 

We do as instructed and Nicky and Bennet are genuinely lighting up the room with awe as they see Paxton with Prince by her side. 

"How are you, Paxton? You look f... frogging awesome," Nicky says.

"Welcome back, Miss. Iustus!" Bennet cheers on. 

I muster up the courage and let tears roll down my cheek, "I knew you could do it, Paxton. I'm so proud of you. I love you." 

Paxton blinks her eyes and looks between us and her family. 

"Mom, what are you doing here? Who are these kind people? Are they from church?" Paxton inquires. 

♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠

A/N: Sorry this took longer. I had to redo the entire chapter and rewrite it. Thank you for reading. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

70.9K 2K 55
"You just murdered him. You're a psychopath..." I state, looking at Hailee like she was crazy. "I'm not a psychopath." She shrugged, her eyes fixate...
108K 3.8K 34
[COMPLETED] Alexandria Miller has a fucked up life. She is poor, her mom hates her and her dad abuses her. She has one best friend that is always the...
122K 4.7K 37
Alice is the top criminal defence lawyer in the country who is incredibly talented, bright and respected by everyone. But she has a secret that n...
81.5K 3K 19
For which she knew her stalker. Contains: Killing Edging Stalking Orgasm denial Clingy partner Switch couple Strong language Obsessive character P...