Summerguard

By PhantomAce9083

Paxton Iustus' American Dream is to finish university and work her ranks up to becoming chief of the NYPD. Wh... More

Prologue
Characters
CHAPTER 1: Falling into You
CHAPTER 2: Me or the mob?
CHAPTER 3: A Frightening Offer
CHAPTER 4: What Detour?
CHAPTER 5: Recruitment
CHAPTER 6: Beaumont Pitch
CHAPTER 7: Status Report
CHAPTER 8: Busted
CHAPTER 9: Interlude
CHAPTER 10: Be With Me
CHAPTER 11: Respite
CHAPTER 12: Queen's Palace
CHAPTER 13: Field Day
CHAPTER 14: Ladies' Day
CHAPTER 15: Monumental Day
CHAPTER 16: Learn a Lesson
CHAPTER 17: Masquerade Ball
CHAPTER 18: Go Home
CHAPTER 19: Reconciliation
CHAPTER 20: A Former Friend
CHAPTER 21: Stage Two
CHAPTER 22: Investigation
CHAPTER 23: Independence Day
CHAPTER 24: The Stray
CHAPTER 25: Ambush
CHAPTER 26: This Is Not Heaven
CHAPTER 27: Awake
CHAPTER 28: Answer Her
CHAPTER 29: Prepare Yourselves
CHAPTER 30: The News
CHAPTER 31: There Is Hope
CHAPTER 32: Cavalry
CHAPTER 33: This is Who I am
CHAPTER 34: She's A Nightmare (Part I)
CHAPTER 35: She's A Nightmare (Part II)
CHAPTER 36: Coming Soon
CHAPTER 38: Aid and Litter
CHAPTER 39: Eulogy
CHAPTER 40: Strength in Hearts
CHAPTER 41: Absence of Mind
CHAPTER 42: Friend Family or Foe

CHAPTER 37: Fight For Gold

54 2 0
By PhantomAce9083

TW: Gun Violence and Stunts.

~PAXTON~

It pained me to let go of her last night, seeing the bars, and the visible lack of nourishment. Even though she looks so frail and afraid, she's alive, and being able to talk with her and hold her is an act I will always cherish and hope we can do forever. I have much more energy to go into a war just to see her smile like that for me again. The Guardians are at the London International Airport in Sergeant Longhunt's chopper which serves as our armory and strategic post. I fasten my bulletproof vest and armor, test Ferrum's electric settings, and fold and refold Vis. While Sergeant Longhunt and Patty maneuver the aircraft, the rest of us are in the back monitoring the situation and communicating our courses of action.

"Paxton, they're moving me now. I'm scared," Chrysos whispers in the earpiece that I gave her last night.

"I know, love. It's okay to be scared, but we are coming for you. Do you hear that? I am in a Black Hawk helicopter with Nicky, Corporal Joy, Private Patty, Sergeant Thomas, and Officer Kyle. We are coming to get you and the military will take away all those bad people. I will take you away from all the bad people. I love you," I reply.

"I love you too, Paxty," she says.

"Alpha, we are nearing the landing zone. It's a field about a mile away between the church and the mansion," Sergeant Thomas calls out to me.

"Roger, Operation House of Cards will exit first. Clear off any hostiles and remember your targets. Operation Stakes will follow me," I command to all of them.

"Hooah," they affirm.

After a few more minutes of flight, Sergeant Longhunt lands the plane expertly on the field. The owner of the area comes to greet us as we had met prior to ask for her permission. She guides us to the roadways that lead in both directions to the cathedral and to the Beaumont mansion.

"We will meet you guys at the cathedral, once we clear the house," Nicky said, taking Joy and Kyle with her.

"Yeah, be safe. All of you," I said.

"We are going home. Everyone will be going home," Nicky salutes us and we salute back.

~~~~

After a ten-minute run to the cathedral, my team and I blend into the brush and watch as guests and security for the event roam around. From what Asher has told me, the ceremony starts at ten. It's still nine twenty. There are two points of entry. One in the front for all guests and patrons. And the one in the back where King, his associates, and the priest they have taken hostage will enter. However, there are four other points of exit. Two emergency exits on the sides of the building and two emergency exits in the front of the building. But where we are going, we don't use doors. I signal my team to follow me and out of the line of sight of the main entrance, we come across the only spot with a single personnel.

"Hey!" he calls out to us, pulling his firearm, but Sergeant Thomas steps in and disarms the dude. I gag him and tie him up. Patty puts a mild sedative on him and he should be out for at least a few hours.

"Alright, everyone up," Sergeant Thomas gets on bended knees and cups his hands to boost us onto the fire escape. Stealthily, Patty picks the lock to the priest's private quarters and we all pile into his office.

"What was that?" a muffled voice from outside rushes in and we freeze as he points his gun at us. His hand shakes and from the looks of it, he's a stake. He fumbles with the gun until he clocks and loads it.

"Drop the gun, kid. You don't want to shoot that," Sergeant Thomas speaks calmly to him.

"Shut up! Don't tell me what I can and can't do. You drop your weapons! I can do any–" he shouts, but we all stay still as a man in an iron mask rams a sniper gun to the back of the boy's head. He stalks towards us, fists gripped on his weapon.

"Took you guys long enough," Asher rolls his eyes, setting down his awesome new gun and mask. We all give him a quick hug and he debriefs us on what to expect during the ceremony. We all head to our posts and check our intercoms. Asher takes me away separately and I tell him that I should get adjusted to my spot and the landscape of this place, but he insists.

"I hope I am not breaking any superstitions, but I can't resist. You have a few minutes," Asher says vaguely and before I can question him, he shoves me into a room and locks the door. Hey! Why did you lock it? Have you gone rogue? Oh, no. I should warn the Guardians.

"Paxty?" a soft voice whispers.

I turn around and I collapse to my knees. Oh, my god. Tears stream down my face like a river and I can't breathe. Chrysos is in a floral lace white wedding dress, where the base of the dress flows behind her. There are diamonds on her chest and real white petals sewn at her waist. Her veil blocks my view of her face, but I know she is smiling from ear to ear. Chrysos hobbles to me, careful not to trip over the elaborate gown and I catch her in my arms. Oh m g. Oh m g. Get your sh*t together, Paxton. Wake up. Say words. ENGLISH!

"Mi futuro," I squeak out, at a loss for words. 

"Paxty, my love. You came," she chokes softly.

"Of course, I did. I will always come back for you," I said. 

She caresses my face and touches the beads in my hair. I lean into her touch and know she probably misses it so much. My hand snakes its way around her neck, but there is still a barrier that obstructs me from her. I probably shouldn't but I am being pushed forward against my better judgement. 

"Can I?" I ask politely, tugging at the veil.

"Of course." Gently, I pull it back and over her head, and every time, I feel as if I keep getting blinded by how bright she is. No matter how many times I look or how far away or close I am, there is something new and beautiful to behold. Her eyes are done with the most elegant of makeup and have real gold flakes sprinkled to the side. Her cheeks may have been powdered, but the hint of a pink blush warm when she leans into my touch. I gaze lower to the lips that are deep red wine, knowing if I stare too long, I will be intoxicated by her addictive taste.

"Just kiss me already!" she impatiently demands and I crash my lips onto hers. 

At first, it was rather forceful, but we eventually lean into each other and began passionately matching each other's synchronization. I open myself a bit to allow her access and she does not hesitate to search and discover every crevice and space. We have missed each other so much and it is unreal that we are here and we will be okay. When we run out of air, I gulp in a breath, but she doesn't stop and keeps pecking me wherever she can find my skin and it takes me a lot of restraint to not throw off all my equipment and take her in this library right now.

"Chrysos. Agh," I moan into my hand when I feel her latch onto the sweet spot on my neck. It feels so good. When she releases me, I indulge in her vulnerable point making her tremble and crane her neck for more. I smothered her and fondled her breasts, but not too much because I don't want to make her uncomfortable and take the next step when we are in the middle of a war. 

"Paxton," she gasps.

KNOCK! KNOCK! "Guys, we got five minutes. Paxton, get out here right now," Asher whisper-yells to us.

Chrysos latches onto me and it pains my heart to have to go. I just want to snatch her, jump out the window, and hitch a plane to anywhere she wants. Anywhere but here. But we can't. We are so close to ending all of our problems. Forever.

"I let you go before and I am not doing that again. Chrysos, I'm fighting for you today and I will fight for you always. Stay strong for me, my love," I crush her in a final embrace and she claws at my back. Even with the vest, I still feel her and it is the best pain I could ever wish for right now. "Don't do anything stupid, Paxty. I don't want a knight in shining armor. I want you. I want to..."

"I will, Chrysos," I kiss her forehead tenderly before drawing the veil over her face. I will bring you home. 

I close the door behind me and Asher is tapping his foot strictly.

"What?" I squint at him, uncollapsing Vis.

"Did you treat her well?" he asks seriously.

"Oh, my God. Leave me alone," I push his stupid smirking face. He tosses me a cloth and I wipe away at where she left her lipstick, but can't stop smiling when I feel where she marked all over me.

"Go down this corridor and there's a hatch where it leads to the veranda overlooking the chapel. I will join you after I hand Chrysos off to her father," he instructs.

I follow his guidance and there is the balcony site with a perfect bird's eye view of the whole chapel. Guests are already seated and that's when I can finally get a good look at my enemies. I take out my scope from my belt and focus it on the people below. The SS Tribe is scattered in the pew and along the walls. A choir of young boys is being monitored by two stakes and the director is trying to tell them everything is okay. At the altar is a very scared-to-death priest muttering prayers, probably for the sake of his life. The King is wearing something very traditional of the Roman empire or the Greeks. Maybe a fusion style. It's a long colorful multi technicolor coat probably made of silk, underneath is a white underdress, and on his head is a golden crown. Wow, he takes his title very literally.

After a few minutes, the organ begins playing and the choir follows.

"Dona nobis pacem," the boys choral and I watch as the doors to the cathedral swing open. Although I can't see her well, I know Chrysos is frightened to death. The SS Tribe mock and gossip obscene things to her, feigning movements of sexual gestures. It takes all of my will and prying my eyes away to not take Asher's gun and rain hell on those below. She cowers in the arms of John Morris even though she detests him. John leads her down the pathway to the Devil. It angers me so much that he could do that to her. He says he loves her, but he is a liar and a coward. 

"Hey, there's been a delay," Asher comes behind me as I finish securing the ropes that I will use to repel down there. I have practiced it a few times already, but I am still nervous as heck.

"What is it?"

"The military is adapting to the situation and now accounting for the priest and those kids down there. Stand by and do not engage. Those are innocent people down there," Asher relays to me.

"How long is that going to take?" I panic internally, gripping the banister.

"I don't know," Asher said.

I nod my head and establish contact with the rest of the team to let them know what is going on. I hear the priest start speaking, so I connect with Chrysos.

"Chrysos, I know you can hear me, my love. I am right here with you. You are not alone. Breathe in and out. Just hold on, be brave, feel your hand, that's me you're holding," I speak softly to her. I watch from above as she takes her hands off the King for a few seconds and rubs her hands together.

Hurry up, you guys.

"Oy, alpha? Who is that girl up there with you guys?" Patty asks and I whip my head to see a bar coming straight for my head. Asher rushes to me and catches it in his hand.

"Zhan, 你在做什么?" Asher questions the girl. 

I hold my sword and shield to my body. How does he know her? Who is she? 

"I snuck out of the pew and wanted a better view. But looks like you and your buddy have already taken it. Ugh, and to think you could be any more insulting," she slaps him, to which we both gasp. I raise my fist, but Asher steps between us.

"It's not what you think. She's another Iron-Fang. Her name is uh Saber Tooth. We are here to keep the event safe. And Saber, this is Zhan. A guest," Asher masterfully improvises.

Zhan and I size each other up and hesitantly we lay down our weapons and shake hands. She cracks my bone, but I don't flinch or react. 

"Hello, Zhan. So, you and Shard? Don't worry. I'm only here for business. I will be over there," I put my arms up and walk away. Oh, boy does he have a lot of explaining to do.

I click my earpiece and let my team know that the girl isn't a threat. At least I don't think so. She better not get in our way and Asher better send her away. To my relief, I watch as Asher whispers things in her ear and she places her head on his shoulder. She walks back out the door and he locks the bolt behind her. I shimmy my way to his side and he shakes his head.

Did she do something? Hurt him. If she did, I will personally smack her harder.

"What happened? Did she hurt you?" I ask, lightly.

"No, I hurt her. She's just like us. She doesn't want to be here and doesn't want to see Chrysos be... She wanted to stay with me at least so she can hide here and not watch," Asher chokes nervously and I pat his back.

"I'm so sorry. Do you want to call her back?" Although it pains me to say it, I'd faint or puke if I was in that woman's chair.

"No. Ahem, we have a mission and we are going to go through with it. We can't afford any more distractions," he says professionally, focusing back on the scope of his sniper.

I DO! Oh, no! It's the vows already?! Asher and my team wait for my command. The military hasn't contacted us yet, what do I do?

"Chrysos..." I whisper unconsciously.

"STOP!" Chrysos shouts at the top of her lungs. Everything falls silent. Oh, no. Be careful, Chrys. I swing my leg over the banister and prepare to fast-rope. I wait a bit longer, just to give the military a bit more time. But I fear we are running out of it.

"Hold," I command my team.

"I CAN'T DO THIS! King, you have been nothing but sweet to me and trying to show me, love. But, everyone here knows you don't love me and I don't love you. You only want to make love to me so you can retire knowing you have an heir. But, I have been trying to tell you something this entire time. My heart does not belong to you. My mind, my body, and my spirit does not belong to you. They belong to me and my love. She holds my other half. Not you," she cries out to him.

"Touching. Now, stop stalling and say I DO!" he roughly handles her, his grubby hands clutching her hair.

NO! GET OFF HER! I begin descending quickly, but stop when I hear what is said next.

"I CAN'T GET PREGNANT!" she yells at him and everyone gasps. I clutch the rope and stop halfway, burns creviced in my palms. But that's not the pain that bothers me the most. Murmurs and whispers of anguish and confusion fill the room. Oh, Chrysos. Did I hear her correctly? I'm dangling a few feet off the ground, maybe I heard wrong. It can't be possible.

"I am infertile. It's a genetic condition from my blood family," she sobs.

My heart breaks when I hear her cry. She can't bear children. How could I have not known that? Why would the heavens rob her of that honor? I can't breathe. I don't know how to react. I want to be there for her. I want to give her a hug.

"WHAT IS THIS?! YOU! I thought you said she was perfect!" King throws her into the pulpit and she cries out when her head hits the corner. NO! King grabs Sceptra Morris by her throat and snaps her dead. His eyes enflamed in anger. John Morris is being shot up by a bunch of stakes. With everyone distracted, I give the signal to commence the operation. POP! POP! POP!

Asher provides me cover as I make my way through the messes of bodies. All eyes and weapons are pointed to the roof, but Asher is definitely gone by now. I hold up Vis and crash through everyone, easily finding Chrysos and lifting her up to my body. There's a small gash from where she hit her head and blood trickles down slowly. She weaves in and out of consciousness in my arms, but I won't let her go. I rush out to the nearest exit and dammnit. Where is the military? The SS Tribe is going to flee.

"Hey! Let her go!" the girl named Zhan fly kicks my shield which makes me thump hard to the ground.

"Wait, stop. It's not what you think," I plead to her, trying to balance the grip on Chrysos and protect myself from Zhan's attacks. She's too fast and I have to decide whether to let Chrysos go and fight Zhan or let Zhan stop us from escaping and pummel me to the ground.

"Aghhh, I will be back for you Chrysos," I set her gently underneath a tree and swing Ferrum at her. I ground my feet and get in a fighting stance.

"Ohhhh, nice sword. Now can you use it?" she nods to my weapon.

"I don't want to fight you. Just let us go. I won't hurt her. I'm her..." I can't finish my sentence as she rushes and begins spinning her iron rod dangerously. I get in a defensive position and use Ferrum to counteract most of her blows. We duel, equally powerful and trying to disarm the other. I contemplate whether to spin the dial. Suddenly, we hear a blood-curdling scream! The both of us stop fighting and turn our heads to Chrysos. The King has her over his shoulder and is struggling to make a run for it.

"STOP!" we yell at him. He points his gun and with deadly accuracy, he shoots both of us in the chest. We fall to the ground and I clutch myself in pain. I cough and wheeze, but after a few seconds, I shake off the spotted sparkles in my eyes. I open my uniform and flick off the bullet from my vest. When I feel myself in the present, I go to check on Zhan.

"Ke. Ah! Plrttt!" she coughs and wheezes. I see blood soaking her dress and I scream for help on my earpiece. Asher comes rushing to my aid and tells me the military is inside the cathedral but drops to his knees when he sees Zhan.

"I got her! GO!" he shoves me away and gives Zhan aid. I don't hesitate to leave and run off in the direction that the King went. Two stakes rush at me, sloppily shooting their guns. I hold Vis close to my body and charge the volts in Ferrum. I watch their expressions go from cocky and entertained to confused and scared. They throw themselves at me with their empty guns, but I shock them to the Earth. STAY DOWN!

"Hey, b*****! I'M GOING TO KILL YOU! YOU FECKLESS BUCKET OF VOMIT!" I shout and listen to the distant cries of my girlfriend.

Up ahead, I see King hobbling heavily toward an awaiting plane. Where in the world did that come from? The pilot kickstarts the engine and King throws Chrysos inside. No, I can't let her get away! I push my legs to their maximum, pumping them to keep running, to not give up on me. My heart is screaming at me to stop or I will die, but I don't. I won't let her get away from me. I can't. 

WHIRRRRR! The plane takes off and before I can grasp onto its wing, it coasts down the makeshift runway and ascends. NO!

"Guys! She's getting away! It's a mini plane. Someone please, don't lose her!" I scream.

WHIRRRRR! I cover my ears and shield my eyes when I see the Blackhawk touching down in front of me.

"Hurry! Get in!" Nicky beckons to me. I slam the door shut and I point to the small silhouette of the King's plane heading off in the distance.

I collapse my shield and sword and set them aside. I pick up a parachute pack and begin clicking all of the buckles in place. 

"What the hell are you doing? Have you ever jumped out of a plane before?" Nicky screams over the blades of the copter.

"Airborne!" I smirk and demand them to get as close to the King's jet as possible.

"You are crazy stupid!" she fumes, giving me a tight hug. I pat her back and prepare for the drop.

"Chrysos, babe. I need you to jump out of there," I say into my earpiece. KCkckckkkkkk! Come on. Come on.

"GET CLOSER!" I shout and Sergeant Longhunt carefully maneuvers the aircraft, but we are so close that the blades can easily knick the tail of the plane. And yeah... big kaboom.

"Chrysos, love. I am here, but you need to do as I say. I know it's scary, but I am here and I will catch you. I won't let you go. Please, trust me," I promise. I push the door open and high winds whip all of us harshly. Come on, Chrysos. You can do this.

YES! That's my girl! The door to the private jet opens and I see Chrysos in a struggle with the King. I see a glass knife lodged deep in his thigh. I try and ignore that Chrysos' dress is tattered and most of her body is exposed. Nicky lines her shot and despite the wobbling and jolting of the aircraft, she calmly focuses on her target. Just be patient Paxton. Trust her. Trust your team. BANG!

"AHW WOWOWOWOOOOOOOO!" King lets out a barbaric howl that even I heard over the wailing of the wind. Chrysos punches his bleeding face and jumps out of the jet. I take a deep breath and dive after her.

OH MY GOD! I DID NOT THINK THIS THROUGH! I'm falling. I'm not going to die. I am not going to die! Think! Think! Right, get Chrysos. I squint my eyes and even though the debris in the air slams against my goggles, I continue searching. There! I arch myself and steer my body to follow after her. Thank you, Youtube. PS: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME OR AT ALL I don't hear her screaming and her eyes are closed. That's not a good sign. I accelerate my speed and fumble to grab her. Finally, I get ahold of her waist and press her to my body.

BOOM! An explosion throws us and shatters my ear drums. The King's plane explodes into a million pieces and the flames knock us around. I pull the chord to the chute and it deploys, slowing us down. I look below us and see we are on top of a body of water. This isn't the ocean is it? I have a huge fear of sharks. Oh, and drowning.

SPLASH! We drop into the water and unfortunately, the parachute is tangled and forced us under the water's surface. Chrysos panics in my arms, so I push her away from me and up. The salty water burns my wounds, but I try to calmly unbuckle my harness. Choppy waves and debris swirl me around like a messy teacup. My throat feels callous and I fumble to hold my breath and use the tactical knife to cut the strings tangled around my neck and arms. SMACK! BLBUBLBLB! A part of the wing slams into the water and into me. Water enters my mouth instantaneously and there is an equal and opposite force shoving me deeper into the murky waters. I kick up, it tackles me down. The strings tighten around me, pulling me under. What's the use? I can't fight anymore. I finished my mission. Chrysos is safe. And I can be relieved of all burdens knowing that. I close my eyes when everything becomes too heavy. I don't feel anything anymore. No pain, no ringing, just numbness. 

SPLASH!

♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠

A/N: Today launches us into Pride Month. Woot Woot! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

222K 6.5K 34
[LGBT+ Romance, BoyxBoy] "Oh my god! Can you just shut the hell up?!" The man sneered. Alexander smirked, having a mischievous glint in his eyes. "...
108K 3.8K 34
[COMPLETED] Alexandria Miller has a fucked up life. She is poor, her mom hates her and her dad abuses her. She has one best friend that is always the...
2.5M 93.5K 32
Dawn, a girl in her early twenties living in a poor neighborhood with her sick mother and teenage brother. Her father has abandoned them for a rich w...
78.8K 2.6K 10
"Kiss me." "I think I'll pass." Before I could say anything else, her hands grabbed my hips and slammed my back against the wall. And her lips found...