The Wrong Victor

By anotherpercyperson

What if Katniss had been the one left in the arena? What if Katniss had been hijacked and Peeta had been swep... More

Chapter one: Peeta
Chapter two: Katniss
Chapter three: Peeta
Chapter four: Katniss
Chapter five: Peeta
Chapter six: Peeta
Chapter seven: Katniss
Chapter eight: Peeta
Chapter nine: Katniss
Chapter ten: Peeta
Chapter eleven: Peeta
Chapter twelve: Peeta
Chapter thriteen: Peeta
Chapter fourteen: Prim
Chapter fifteen: Peeta..
Chapter sixteen: Prim
Chapter seventeen: Haymitch
Chapter eighteen: Peeta
Chapter nineteen: Peeta
Chapter twenty: Katniss
Chapter twenty-one: Peeta
Chapter twenty-two: Katniss
Chapter twenty-three: Peeta
Chapter twenty-four: Katniss
Chapter twenty-five: Peeta
Chapter twenty-six: Peeta
Chapter twenty-seven: Katniss
Chapter twenty-eight: Peeta
Chapter twenty-nine: Katniss
Chapter thirty: Peeta
Chapter thirty-one: Finnick
Chapter thirty-two: Prim
Chapter thirty-three: Peeta
Chapter thirty-four: Katniss
Chapter thirty-five: Prim
Chapter thirty-six: Annie
Chapter thirty-eight: Peeta
Chapter thirty-nine: Peeta
Chapter forty: Katniss
Chapter forty-one: Katniss
Chapter forty-two: Katniss
Chapter forty-three: Katniss
Chapter forty-four: Peeta
Chapter forty-five: Peeta
Chapter forty-six: Lavender Everdeen
Chapter forty-seven: Prim
Chapter forty-eight: Peeta
Sequel Announcement!

Chapter thirty-seven: Finnick

1K 17 13
By anotherpercyperson

We've been in this mansion for a few days now. The girls have been doing well, Katniss hasn't had any episodes recently and Prim is having fun exploring the Capitol home. Peeta cooks all our meals and makes them amazing and I just keep everyone sane and safe while worrying about my wife.

"Hey Finnick! Can we play a game? Please?" Prim asks and I laugh at her giving her puppy eyes.

"As if I would ever tell you no!" I grab her around her waist and spin her a bit before setting her down. "Go pick out a game." I'm so glad this creep had children so he had games for the children to play. I'm also thankful he never allowed his children home while using me.

Clash!
"The horn of plenty overflows."
"AH!"

My head snaps from the tv to Katniss covering her ears as an episode takes her from us.

Peeta races over and wraps his arms around Katniss. "Shh, you're okay. You're okay." He says as he rocks her gently. "It's not real. What you're hearing or seeing isn't real." He whispers to her.

Prim looks lost as the national anthem of Panem plays. The game dropped on the floor and forgotten as Prim is reminded of our grim existence.

I open my arms and the little girl immediately races into them as I look at the tv wondering what is going on. What are they broadcasting? Who will it be? Snow? Coin? Who?

"H-hello." No. No no no no no. "My-my name is Annie Cre- Odair. My name is Annie Odair. I'm the wife of Finnick Odair. Though I suppose you all know that. Sorry." Annie fiddles with her hair as she looks off camera. "I-I'm not a person you see on screen often. I-I was always deemed too unstable for camera appearances or any appearances really. So if you forgot about me that's okay. I forget me too." She mumbles a little bit as she looks around.

"Annie, Annie." Haymitch calls sweetly to my wife who has completely forgotten what she's doing. It must be a live recording.

"Sorry, I'm so sorry. I'm in District Four at the moment. The doctors and therapist suggested that I go home due to some mental issues I've been having. But I'm okay. I'm okay I'm okay." She trails off mumbling again her fingers playing with her hair more roughly.

"Annie, remember what Coin asked you to say?" Haymitch asks and I tense at that.

"Oh, right." Annie looks right at the camera, right into my soul. "Finnick, you need to turn yourself in. You shouldn't have done that. You shouldn't have been bad like that. You shouldn't have left." Annie says but as she blinks it's a pattern.

After Annie's games she fell into a mute phase. She never said anything she was almost never there mentally. To communicate we learned Morse code so she could tap out what she needed like food, water, a kiss. She's using it again to get me a message.

Long short, slight pause, long long long, slight pause, long short, slight pause, long long long. Pause. Short short short, slight pause, long, pause, short long, slight pause, long short long long, pause. Short short short, slight pause, long, slight pause, short long, slight pause, long short long long, pause.

"No, no, stay, stay." I breathe out the message my wife has given me as my eye never leave her as she once again losses focus. "She's in District Four, she's safe. Coin made her make this. Coin is mad at us." I say turning to check on Peeta and Katniss.

Katniss is shaking like a leaf as she hides in Peeta's neck. Peeta is holding her close as he stares at me. "What do you mean? How do you know?"

"When Annie came back after her games she wasn't okay. She didn't talk, she didn't move. All she did was sit where you would place her and stare off into space. I had moved in with her and become her caretaker when I wasn't shipped off. I taught her Morse code to communicate so she could just tap out what she would need. She's telling us to stay here." I explain as I look back at the feed.

"Annie, sweetheart, it's okay. You're doing okay." Haymitch says. He doesn't call her sweetheart. He calls Katniss sweetheart. I look to Katniss who looks up slightly at the nickname. "You're okay sweetheart. You're safe. It's okay."

"Safe real or not real?" Katniss asks softly her voice shaking as she buries her face back in Peeta's neck.

"Real." Peeta tells her with a smile.

I smile at them as I rub Prim's back and look at my wife. She's so beautiful, absolutely glowing in the bright sun of district Four. Her small baby bump has gotten a little bigger. She's safe. She's in district Four for now.

"I would like to announce that as the war is nearing its close I will be staying in district Four to prepare for my child." Annie says and I smile. Good. She's not going back. She's safe. She's with Haymitch. They're not going back to Thirteen. "Please stay safe as the war comes to an end. And Finnick please do what is right. Please turn yourself in as soon as possible." She blinks out 'come home soon' as she speaks. "Thank you for your time."

The broadcast ends and I look over at Katniss who has fallen asleep on Peeta. I look down to see Prim knocked out as well. I kiss Prim's head and keep her close as I sigh. "Coin is pissed off with us running off."

"Good." Peeta says as he rubs Katniss' back and plays with her hair. "Is Annie going to be safe?"

"Yeah, she is. She said she's staying in District Four. Haymitch will probably stay with her. So, they're going to be safe from Coin for the most part." I sigh out as I close my eyes. "I hate to ask this, but could we sneak to District Four?"

"Good question." Peeta runs his hand through his hair. "It would be a dangerous trip. We'd have to deal with wild animals, the girls. It would be difficult. If we could get a train or one of the peacemaker vehicles it would be easier, but I don't know how to drive either of those and I doubt anyone will let us."

I nod along with what he says because it makes sense. We don't know how to drive, we don't have any vehicles, and we can't use the train. Getting to District Four will be impossible. "So we stay here until the war ends and try to find a way home? I'm just saying Peeta now would be the time to go. Everyone is distracted with the war."

"Does this place have a map?" Peeta asks and I gently lay Prim down on his lap before getting up to investigate.

I check desks, the library, the five different studies, not a single map. Until I get to the bedroom. I shiver as I walk in, memories flooding me as I remember the stench of his breath, the weight of his body. I quickly rip the framed map off the wall before racing back.

"Okay, so he had his house marked on the map, thank god." I point out to the dot that is pretty damn close to the edge of the Capitol near the bottom of District Seven and the top of District Two. "We could exit somewhere over here and either go into the woods of Seven or down into the mountains of Two."

"What's the gap between the Districts?" Peeta asks reaching out to trace the lines a little.

"Roads, the roads peacemakers travel on between Districts, they also hold the train rail. So, not the safest for travel." I run a hand through my hair as I look at the map. "We could cut a straight line through the woods of Seven and into District Ten. Go straight through and bam we're in District Four and I can find my way home. We'll have to cross three roads. The first between the Capitol and Seven. But that is the road that was damaged from when Seven destroyed the dam. So we should be able to cross without too much trouble. Especially with everyone being evacuated to the center. Then Seven to Ten, there will be fencing to keep the livestock in the pens but I'm sure we'll make it through. Then Ten to Four. Sneaking in and out of Four is how I grew up. I would sneak into Two often. So we'll be fine as long as they are still busy with the war and not busy with rogue victors."

Peeta worries his lip as he mulls it over. "My only issue is we only have what we can carry, and I know with Prim and Katniss we'll have to carry them at some points during the trip. It won't be easy. Using the scale it's about how many miles?"

I quickly measure it out and frown. "810. With us walking 10 hours a day it will take nearly a month to get home." I rub my face and look up at Peeta. "But I would much rather spend that time getting home than staying here with the possibility of getting caught and killed by either of the assholes." I'm careful not to mention the names knowing Katniss would not react well.

"I'm with you. But we'll need to collect a lot of supplies. Make sure we have food or at least a good water source first. I'm sure with our experiences in the games plus Katniss' in twelve, we can survive. Plus isn't this terrain flat for the most part as long as we avoid District Two?"

"Yeah, it's all mainly flat terrain. Minus the little bit we'll be in Seven. It's a bit rocky and bumpy. It'll take a few days to get through Seven, but after that it's flat. We'll need to take a calendar or make one to take with us so we can keep track of the days."

"Then it's a plan. They're already looking for us so Coin thinks she's won. We need to evacuate as soon as possible. Start getting on the move."

"We'll start packing tomorrow and set out the next morning before the sun rises."

Peeta nods and looks down at our two girls.

I lean over and give them both kisses to their hair. "We'll keep them safe, Peeta. I swear on my life, they are our priority. They make it out alive."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

851 13 13
THG Fanfiction- Katniss has never talked to her savior, Peeta Mellark, but when their is a bump in their relationship things happen. Will she thank...
22.6K 510 12
A HUNGER GAMES FANFICTION! What if Haymitch didn't let Peeta volunteer for him in the 75th annual Hunger Games? Follow our favorite mentor as he goes...
35.8K 688 22
"My name is Peeta Mellark." "I am seventeen years old." "I am in love with Katniss Everdeen" "She betrayed me." "I was in the Hunger Games." "I've be...
19K 466 15
Have you ever thought about what would have happened if Rue won The Hunger Games instead? Hi, I'm Rue. I'm only 12 and I'm from district 11. This ye...