Carter Brothers: Mason

By cherrypop12

GOING THROUGH EDITING!!!!! [Book 2 in the Carter Brother Series *can be read separately*] Rated R Novel (onl... More

Copyright Statement
Background Information
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18 (part 1)
Chapter 18 (part 2)
Chapter 19
Chapter 20

Epilogue

229K 6.6K 704
By cherrypop12

Epilogue

“Katy, baby, come on! We need to get going, like...now, if we want to get there by 5,” cries Mason from up the stairs.
“Wait...do you think this is okay?” she calls from the top of the steps in a light pink, cherry blossom, floral dress; the chiffon material cutting just above her knees and it’s short sleeves floating at her shoulders. Along her neck, exposed by the sweetheart neckline is a small teardrop necklace, given to her by Mason on her birthday. Her feet are adorned in light brown gladiator wedges and her curly hair is pinned back by two braided strands.
“Mason? Is this...too...revealing? Oh God! Should I change?” she cries receiving no answer from Mason. He was too busy gawking at her in such a gorgeous outfit. Although he’d wake up every-day to her and see her every-day, her beauty always somehow, leaves him speechless.
“What! No. No, you look great. Come down here,” he encourages. As she glides down the stairs, he picks her up on the last one and twirls her around. Giggles pass her lips as her hair spins around her.
“Simply gorgeous. Now come on, it’s a long drive and we need to get going.”
He tugs her by the hand but she remains still.
“Do you think they’ll like me? Maybe I should stay here,” she nervously queries.
“They will love you as much as I do. Please come- for me?” requests Mason trying to set her insecurities at ease.
“Okay,” she sighs following him.

“Katy, baby, how many times do I need to tell you, you look amazing,” groans Mason for the hundredth time. Katy gives her hair a quick fluff in the mirror and closes it upright before heaving a sigh.
“Sorry, sorry. I’m just nervous...Okay, let’s go.”

Mason gently squeezes Katy’s hand as he knocks on the door. The woman that opened the door looked more like a little girl than Mason’s mother. But Mason had never mentioned anything about a sister. Her brown hair is pulled into a messy bun and outfit looks like it’s made for comfort, with a pair of black leggings and oversized top.
“Mason!” squeals the girl hugging Katy’s boyfriend.
“Hey Em. When did you get here?” asks Mason.
“Oh just a few hours ago,” shrugs Emery.
“Great. Em this is my mate, Katy. Katy this is my sister Emery-”
“Brother’s mate,” clarifies Emery not wanting Katy to assume incest in their family.
“Yes, specifically, that’s right. Now are you going to let us in?” teases Mason.
Maybe... If you know the password...”
“Emery,” flatly says Mason causing the girl to giggle and move aside. Mason lightly pushes Katy in with a hand urging her at her lower back.
“Rachel! Zack! Guys! Guess who’s here!” cries Emery, her wails echoing throughout the house as Mason and Katy make their way into the lounge.
In just about a year, Emery had managed to become a large part the Carter family, and they all loved her. Both Zack and Rachel treat her like the young daughter they never had, and the other Carter brothers all considered her their little innocent sister. And although she may not be so innocent being a mate to a Carter boy and all, they still love having someone to be protective over and tease endlessly.

“Honey Bee, there’s no need to shout the house down. That’s Eli and Ade’s job, remember” frowns Dane, the grimace easing as she kisses his cheek apologetically.
“Mom, Dad, Dane; this is my mate, Katy,” introduces Mason, pulling her in closer. Katy nervously flickers her eyes over the faces of the others, briefly, before glancing back down. One of her arms clasps over the other and strokes it anxiously.
As Zack rises to his feet, the Carter family’s eyes lock onto the abrupt movement.
Katy shifts the weight on her feet, wanting desperately to flee at the gaining approximate intimidating male.
As his arms rise up to her shoulders she’s half afraid at what’s about to come but much to her shock it’s just a firm hug. A second later and Zack, pulls away, a beam on his features directed at Katy.
“No need to look so terrified, sweetheart, you’re more than welcome to the family.”
“Oh...um, thank-you...Mr Carter,” stumbles out Katy with cheeks blushing.
“Call me Zack. And this is my wife, Rachel, my youngest son Dane and of course you’ve met Emery.”
“Hi, nice to meet you all. Um, lovely home you have...Rachel,” compliments Katy awkwardly calling Mason’s mom by her first name.
“Aw, thank you sweetheart. Come-come, sit down... I just don’t know why my son’s have to wait so long before introducing me to their mates,” sighs Rachel earning a groan from Dane.
“Mom! Come on, I told you. I wasn’t keeping her from you. We’ve been over this-”
“Fine. Whatever,” snaps Rachel, dismissing the matter. Emery laughs at the over-mothering nature of Rachel and pats her arm sympathetically.

Katy gently perches on the couch seat next to Rachel and folds her hands in her lap, waiting to be spoken to.
“So Katy...tell us about yourself; how did you and Mason meet?”
Katy flickers her eyes to Mason before stumbling out, “I...sort of-”
“We met at the club,” saves Mason, his stiff tone warning his family not to pry too much into circumstances; at least not while his mate is sat right there.
“Oh, right...I see no ring on your finger, Katy,” not so subtly hints Rachel. Groans go around from Dane and Zack at the question but Katy only blush’s and gazes away.
“Mom, we’re taking things slowly,” explains Mason, softly tugging Katy up and sitting down, before replacing her on his lap. She shuffles into the most modest position she can, only for him to wind an arm around her middle and snuggle her into his chest.
“But Mason...Dane and Emery have made it very clear they’re not getting wed anytime soon and I love Eli, but even I know that that wish is wasted. And Adrian’s only relationship is his work. Now, I want to see at least one of my sons’ wed their beautiful mate before I get too old,” whinges Rachel.
“Dad,” sighs Mason, asking Zack to help deal with his mother. Apart from his father and twin, none of the other Carters could convince their strong headed mother to change her mind.
“Rachel, honey, leave off the kids. They’ll marry when want,” softly commands Zack, causing her to pout slightly and nod. She opens her mouth to speak but gets cut off by the knock at the door.
Emery rushes to get it leaving the others to guess which of the two remaining brothers it could be.

Hearing the booming laughter, it was no surprise to them it turns out to be Eli.
“Eli!” cries Rachel grabbing her son into a large hug. Eli turns it, spinning her mother around in a circle before setting her down, not being able to take her squeals.
“Mommy,” he grins into her hair before gazing at his dad and nodding a greeting at him.
“I didn’t realise we were bringing dates,” comments Eli, eyes sparkling in amusement whilst slowly taking in the woman on Mason’s lap. Now, she is...smoking. A little too innocent looking for him, but wow...he has to admit, his twin has done well for himself. Then Eli remembers the contract that Mason had sent to him and just like that the lust dimes. The strong protective urge sweeps over him just like with his little sister Emery.
“Mates, actually; Eli, this is my mate Katy. Katy, my twin brother Eli,” introduces Mason, rising to his feet. Mason sends Eli a small warning look not to try any of his flirty tricks with his mate. Katy’s not like Emery and Mason’s pretty sure that she wouldn’t bat off his comments and suggestions like Emery does. He doesn’t need to have his own brother making his mate feel uncomfortable and bringing up past memories.
“Hey, nice to meet you,” greets Eli, seeing the warning well and clear. His curious mind had already set about trying to figure out what exactly has happened to his brother’s mate and perhaps later, in private, he would ask him. But for now, even Eli knows to treat the woman delicately.
“Hi. Mason’s told me a lot about you,” grins Katy.
“Good things?” asks Eli.
“Yeah, of course.”
“Then he’s lying,” winks Eli causing her to chuckle in amusement.

“Aw and how is my little brother!” cries Eli, pulling his brother into a short hug.
“I’m younger than you by like a minute, Eli. And as you can see, I’m more than okay,” grins Mason, glancing over to Katy.
“I’ll say...I mean, is that? No...Mason Carter, did you just...smile?!” exasperates Eli causing the others to laugh.
“Hey! I do smile! You make me sound like a statute,” defensively retorts Mason, rolling his eyes.
“Well, if the shoe fits...” teases Eli. Mason lets it go, and settles back on the couch with his mate.

Just as they get comfy, the bell rings again and a flustered Adrian Carter strides in. He loosens his tie and flops into the remaining couch seat.
“Adrian...” calls Rachel, drawing his attention to the mocha skinned woman sat on Mason’s lap beside his mother. As he stares right into her eyes, trying to analyse her, he could see flashes of nerves and hints of fear but also more prominent is the happiness. His mind suddenly clicks, in remembrance of his brother asking for a lawyer. The same lawyer who refused to tell him what the case was about because Mason had asked for him not to. As much as Adrian had admired the lawyer’s loyalty, he was also annoyed by not knowing. He’d definitely have to make sure to get the story out of his brother because there is no way that he can’t know about this.

“Sorry, how rude of me. Adrian Carter,” introduces Adrian, holding a hand out to Katy. She briefly shakes it and states her name, causing his eyes to narrow and nod. She’d just given a first name. Odd, especially since he’d given his first and surname. Oh yeah, he definitely needs to talk to Mason about her.

Later on, Katy was whisked away by Rachel and Emery to talk about ‘girl stuff’. Something which had Mason raising his eyebrows at, but not questioning. She deserves to spend time with women and he hopes that maybe his mother could be a surrogate mother for her. Or all of this could go horribly wrong and she could hate his mother. He desperately hopes that’s not the case.
Katy gets led into the kitchen and while Emery slides onto one of the counters, Rachel starts stirring the soup.
“Do you love him, Katy?” questions Rachel.
“Yes,” smiles Katy, happy to be asked such a simple question. Even saying the words to herself, makes her heart flutter with happiness, especially as he’s returning that same love.
“And he makes you happy?” pipes up Emery.
“So much.”
“Katy, sweetheart...why doesn’t Mason want to talk about how you met?” gently probes Rachel. Katy knew it would be inevitable that they’d want to know about her and her past but she’d hoped it would take at least a little longer before they started questioning her about it. Perhaps then she could have prepared some answers.
“Because the circumstances that we met under...wasn’t exactly ideal. I was...with a man that wasn’t...he...Mason saved me,” concludes Katy not quite sure how to explain it to others. She doesn’t want them thinking any less of her, or even thinking of her as damaged goods. Because would she be good enough for their son then? No. Truth is, even she knows Mason out of her league but she hopes his family can bear with it. She just can’t risk the pressure of his family hating her on their relationship. Because then...then it would only be a matter of time until he agrees with his family and ends it with her. She gulps at the notion of Mason breaking up with her.
“Oh sweetheart...now don’t you worry, you’re in safe hands now,” kindly smiles Rachel hugging her new daughter.

“You need to start talking Mason. Why did you need my lawyer?” interrogates Adrian.
“Lawyer? Mason, what is going on?” pipes in their father.
“Nothing Dad. It’s all over now,” sighs Mason.
“Mason...son, we have no secrets in this family. If there’s something you need to tell us, we won’t be angry, you know that,” assures Zack. Mason heaves a sigh, knowing he has to tell his father about Katy and her past. His father’s right about not having any secrets in the family and although he wants to keep this in the past, it’s probably better they know anyway, at least so they won’t ask questions that could make her feel uncomfortable. Besides, he has full assurance his brothers and father won’t see her any differently, they themselves will have heard and dealt with stories and instances of abuse.
“When I met her, she was running from her...husband. He had her basically sign herself over to him. That’s the contract I needed you to get Eli. And the lawyer was to try find a loophole in it-”
“Why was she running from him?” Dane asks, enquiring about the one question they all knew the answer to but needing conformation from Mason.
“...He...abused her,” coldly states Mason, memories of Cale tearing apart Richard flashing through his mind, and sending shocks of satisfaction through him.
“Physically, sexually or...emotionally?” whispers Eli.
“All three,” replies Mason, his heart clenching at the memory of seeing her in the grubby, scared state he had to witness that first day of meeting her.
“And you still love her?” breathes Adrian, more overwhelmed at how his brother can deal with that rather than disgusted.

“Of course I do. Look she’s a good woman and I love her, and what she’s been through isn’t something we dwell on anymore. I would really appreciate you all accepting her but if her past is a deal breaker and she has to go, then I’m going with her,” huffs Mason, his anger being spiked at Adrian’s question.
The other Carters stare at him in shock. Mason was one to rarely get angry about...anything, really and his little declaration have them all at loss for words.
“Mason, calm down, son, we never meant to offend you. She seems nice and if you love her, then she is a part of this family. In fact, I’m proud of you.”
“Wh-what?” asks Mason stunned. His father although loving rarely spoke of his love and like his words of love, praises and congratulations were also a rarity.
“Of both you and Dane, actually; you’ve both stuck by your mate and I’m proud of you for doing that; no matter the circumstances, you’ve both been there for them. And I have no doubt that Eli and Adrian- you boys will do the same. I know I don’t tell you enough but I’m proud of you all. For the men you’ve become and the men you’ll be.”
The boys all blink at their father in astonishment and love. They all grin at each other, thinking the same thing.

“Argh!” cries Zack as all his heavy and fully grown boys pile onto their father on the couch. Well maybe they have a little more growing up to do....

A/n Wow, another Carter book over! Woo. So next one is Carter Brothers: Eli . It has been uploaded! So if you are interested by all means go for it. But I warn you. It is a lot more light-hearted than this book. And has a different tone to it, so please don't be expecting it to be similar to this book and please don't be comparing them to Mason & Katy. Anyway, do enjoy if you do decide to read! And thank you for reading this book. [I have to say, so far it is one of my favourites!] xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.7M 74.9K 22
(Sample. Watch out for the official book release on January 31, 2015!) The women in Brianne Montgomery's family have a curse. And she isn't going t...
391K 9.8K 17
I smelt something calming, like the smell of rain and vanilla and suddenly, a guy came in charging at Gabriel. Gabriel didn't have any time to react...
5.5M 127K 26
[Book 3 of the Carter Brother series *can be read separately* ]. Rated-R Novel (only Rated R on some chapters). Eli Carter and Ivy Stanford come from...
423K 15.7K 42
THIS WAS MY FIRST ATTEMPT AT WRITING, READ AT OWN RISK! THERE ARE MANY ERRORS, AS MAJORITY OF IT IS UNEDITED. IF YOU WISH TO READ A MORE PUNCTUALLY A...