Choosing Life

By Ginnyrules27

(Sequel to Choosing Home) With the threats to them and the kingdom finally dealt with, Mal and Ben are free t... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight

Chapter Twenty Five

314 14 4
By Ginnyrules27

Carlos grinned and brushed a bit of his curly black and white hair out of his eyes from where it had fallen out of his cap. Today was the day. Today was the day he'd graduate from Veterinary school and be able to run his own practice.

Sure everyone had thought that he'd go into the tech field after Auradon Prep, considering he had, you know, created a device that somehow blew a hole in the barrier back when he was living on the Isle of the Lost.

But, as he had told anyone who asked why he didn't pursue tech as a career, it was the more stressful option compared to Veterinary science where he could run his own practice and set his own rules.

Like how he'd decided he wouldn't put down any animal who came into his clinic. He'd refer anyone who needed it to another vet of course, he wasn't cruel. But the thought of having to deal with that day in and day out...one of the best things about Auradon was the fact that he finally didn't have to constantly be aware of death.

And the death of an animal was probably the equivalent of Dizzy or Celia or the Smee twins losing their innocence. Ergo, not exactly something he wanted to think about constantly.

Okay focus, he thought as they began to walk out to the stadium where the graduation would be held. The last thing anyone needs is to see you're distracted or anything. Because they'll ask why and that'll just bring down the overall mood. Which is the last thing I want to have happened.

He gave a small wave over where he knew his friends and family were sitting. Ginny was right between Anita and Rodger, with Diego on Rodger's other side and Chad on Anita's.

Yes he bought his cousin over from the Isle thank you! As for Ginny, they might not have been biologically related but they shared a brother, which made them family no matter who you asked.

Well...with the exception of his mother but it was probably better not to think about that.

I almost wish Clay was here. I know he's back on the Isle because of his job over at Serpent Prep, not to mention his girlfriend but still...though a small part of me's a little glad he's not. He had to view Ginny's wedding through a camera, he wouldn't want it to appear as though he was playing favorites by showing up in person to my graduation, Carlos thought as he took his seat before glancing back over to the stands and giving Jane a small smile. She was on Dude duty until the end when his dog and one of his best friends would likely run up to him.

He turned his attention back to the stage, however, as the Dean approached the microphone.

You know, I have to wonder how the man thought it a good idea to ask a new father to give a speech at a graduation? Carlos thought as he caught sight of Ben sitting next to where the Dean had been sitting. Though maybe that explains why Snow's here. Press at a graduation would be rare wouldn't it? And it's not as if Emma or Neal are graduating...wait...is that Mal in the stands?

Sure enough, the Queen of Auradon could be seen with her signature purple locks; the now almost a half month old twins being held by both Jay and Evie on either side of her with Harry and Gil stationed on either side of them.

Carlos had to give Mal her props, she managed to find the most secluded area of the stands and she managed to get Jay away from his training camp.

"Thank you all for coming," the Dean said, pulling Carlos' attention back to the stage. "Today, it is my esteemed honor and privilege to present today's keynote speaker, the person who continues to make events like this possible by working tirelessly to keep the land safe and secure. King Benjamin!"

Carlos joined in the applause as Ben stood up and walked over to the microphone, though he was shaking his head. Maybe he, like Carlos, had noticed the hushed conversation happening between Mal, Evie, and Jay?

"Welcome Auradon Veterinary Institute's graduating class. It is my honor and my joy to be able to see so many of you before me," Ben said as he spoke into the mic. "Animals are the companions that give use joy, that are the least judgmental creatures that we can have. Which is why they need the best possible care. They need people like yourselves who can advocate for them as they can not advocate for themselves. But to keep this speech from going too long as I'm sure you all have parties you'd rather be at, I'll let you go with a quote from A.A. Milne. 'Some people talk to animals. Not many listen though. That's the problem.' You are the few who have chosen to listen. Listen well."

You know, Ben definitely has a way with words. It's almost as if he always had a book in his hand or something, Carlos thought with a wry mental chuckle as the dean prepared to pass out the diplomas. It was then that Carlos noticed the smirks on some of his classmates' faces. Wait...no, you guys aren't actually going to...

"Carlos De—!"

The dean was cut off by the sound of music beginning to stream through the speakers and Carlos groaned. During his studies, his classmates had introduced him to a kids' television show about two brothers and a black and white lemur who taught people about different animals.

Carlos' black and white hair had therefore earned him the nickname 'Zoboomafoo' from his classmates. Somehow, Jay and Harry had never learned that fact. Until now.

"When walking in the woods one day, Chris and Martin saw something strange. A little leaping lemur who liked to bounce and play!" One of Carlos' classmates began to sing with the music.

"I will kill you if you continue!" Carlos hissed, the flush on his face clashing with his black and white hair.

"They followed their new bouncing friend not knowing where this adventure would end, the animals were heading just around the bend," another classmate sang.

"Dear Gods..."

"Where're they going?"

"I don't know!"

"How do we get there?"

"Come on let's go! Me and you and Zoboomafoo, come along and see what's new! We're doing the things that animals do! New animal fiends to see, Animal Junction's the place to be! Elephants charging, baboons are leaping, wild dogs running and nobody's sleeping! Me and you and Zoboomafoo, come along and see what's new! We're doing the things that animals do! Me and you and Zoboomafoo, come along and see what's new! At Animal Junction we're waiting for you!"

Carlos was pretty sure he resembled a tomato as he crossed the stage and got his diploma from the Dean.

"I am so sorry," he whispered. "There was a bet involving class rank and—."

"We had a feeling it was something like that," the Dean chuckled. "Think nothing of it Mr. DeVil or should I say Doctor DeVil?"

Carlos smiled as he heard that and quickly took his seat back. Time flew by as he watched his classmates get their diplomas and soon Carlos was getting hugged by his friends and family.

"Congrats 'Los," Jay said, playfully punching Carlos in the shoulder.

"Thanks Jay," Carlos chuckled. "Where'd Ben go? Did he have to go and handle some paperwork or something?"

"Actually he's chatting with Edward Darling and Snow," Mal said. "It was the only way he'd agree to do the speech so soon after the twins' birth, after everything that happened with Stephanie. Apparently there's going to be an article run on the four of us, you know the Original VKs, so be prepared for an interview request Carlos."

Carlos made a small face but nodded and turned to Ginny. "I guess thanks are in order for the training on handling the press, even if Edward and Snow are allies."

"No thanks necessary," Ginny said. "Chad was the one who trained me after all."

Anita smiled and shook her head. "Congratulations Carlos, dear. Rodger and I are so happy for you."

"Thanks Anita," Carlos said as Jane walked over and gently kissed him on the cheek.

"Congratulations," she said softly, giving him a small smile.

"Thanks Jane," he said as Dude trotted over and wagged his tail, giving everyone a doggy smile. Time seemed to pass in a blur but Carlos wouldn't have had it any other way. The only change was the size of their group as Anita, Rodger, and Diego had to go—one hundred and one Dalmatians weren't going to look after themselves after all.

Of course it was then that Ben came back toward their group, bringing a very unexpected guest.

"Clay?! What are you doing here?" Ginny exclaimed as Clay Clayton made his way over to the group.

Clay smiled as he wrapped both his half-siblings up in a hug. "I already missed being at your wedding in person, Ginny, I'm done missing my siblings' big milestones. And before you ask, no I didn't leave Ava behind. She's here too, with the population of the Isle kids dwindling, classes at Serpent Prep are getting smaller and smaller and there's hardly any interest in the Rat Catching club anymore so my reasons to leave outweighed my reasons to stay."

Ginny and Carlos smiled and returned the hug, relishing the fact that they were able to do so for the first time without fear of attacks for letting their guard down or being seen as weak for showing affection.

"I'm so proud of you," Clay whispered to them. "Both of you. You both look amazing and this place has clearly been good to you."

"Remind me to thank Ben a million times for this," Carlos whispered. "I...I'd mentioned I had an older brother when he helped me bring Diego over but...I didn't think...this is the best graduation present ever."

Clay couldn't help but chuckle softly. "Well, I'm glad my presence is enough for you 'Los since I couldn't get you an actual present...and I'm sorry I missed our cousin but I'm sure I'll see him around since I'm staying in Auradon."

"The fact that you're here, alive, is all I need...well you and maybe knowing if Bee's okay? If she's still alive of course."

"She's not the youngest cat anymore, after all she was what ten when you were fourteen? But I'm sure she's got a few more years in her. Ava and I check on her whenever we visit the safe house they named after you. The kid she adopted has been taking good care of her."

Carlos smiled. "Then I'm happy for her...and thanks Clay. I haven't had a chance to go out there what with finals and graduation...as long as Bee's away from...as long as she's out of danger, that's all I care about. Plus now Dude won't be jealous of Bee if she was here in Auradon."

Clay shook his head, knowing full well who Carlos was talking about. Their shared mother. "Cruella never even knew she was there," he promised. "I looked out for her after you left and after Ava and I became...well closer, I'd sneak Bee to her most nights so she could sleep somewhere sheltered without the risk of my father thinking she'd be...well you know what his thoughts would have been."

"Oh yeah," Carlos sighed.

"By the way...who's Dude?" Clay asked.

Carlos chuckled. "Try to hold back your shock but Dude's...my dog."

"You got over your fear of dogs?" Clay asked with a small smile, ecstatic for his little brother.

Carlos nodded. "Now admittedly it's not like Dude's a Doberman or anything but he's still helped me immensely. He's one of my best friends."

"I hope I get to meet him one of these days," Clay said.

"Actually, there're quite a few people in our lives we need to introduce you to," Ginny said, breaking into the conversation. "But first we should probably say hi to Ava, who's been very kindly just standing there."

"Oh don't mind me Ginny, I'm just happy to see all three of you happy," Ava said, brushing a strand of her strawberry blonde hair out of her eyes as she gave Ginny a curtsey.

"Ava, you don't have to do that," Ginny said, shaking her head. "You're practically family after all."

"A Lady—."

"Always respects rank, yes I know, I had that lesson too," Ginny said with a small smile as she looked over at Clay.

Clay chuckled. "Hey, if you have rank then you should conduct yourself according to it. Just because our father was horrid didn't mean you couldn't learn to hold yourself even on the Isle," he said, reaching over to ruffle Ginny's hair.

"Yes Clay I know," Ginny said, batting away his hands. "But my point is that if Ava think she needs to curtsy to me then I need to also curtsey to her."

Ava shook her head as Ginny did just that. "But...didn't you have your wedding and coronation? You outrank me...your highness."

"As I said, you're practically family and besides...I'm still getting used to hearing that," Ginny said with a small chuckle.

"Well even so, a Lady always respects rank," Ava said, giving her boyfriend's sister a small smile. "And congratulations by the way. I'm glad you found yourself a good match."

"Thank you Ava," Ginny said with a small smile of her own. "And I'll be sure to introduce you both to my husband."

"And I want to introduce you to Jane! And Ben! And Anita and Rodger though they left already but I'm sure—."

"Carlos, relax bud," Clay chuckled. "We've got all the time we want. I'm sure I'll meet all your allies. In fact, let's go meet who we can now. Shall we?"

"I think we shall," Ginny nodded, smiling as Ava took the offered arm. "It's Carlos' day, why doesn't he go first? Chad's probably with King Ben anyway."

"If you're sure Ginny," Carlos said. "And you know Ben doesn't like his title being used."

"I'm sure 'Los. It's your day after all, and oh yeah you're right. Guess all the talk about titles caused it to slip out but come on, who's first?"

Though I think I already know, she thought as Carlos looked over at Jane. Jane must have noticed the look as she came walking over there.

"Jane, this is Clay," Carlos said as he gently took Dude from her arms. "He's my older brother, and this is his...girlfriend Ava. Ava, Clay, this is Jane, Fairy Godmother's daughter and my girlfriend."

"Nice to meet you," Jane said with a small smile. "Carlos has told me so much about you but it's wonderful to get to see you in person."

"Nice to meet you as well Ms. Jane," Clay nodded with a smile. "Anyone who can cause that kind of smile that my brother has around you is an ally of mine."

"Carlos always has that kind of smile on his face though," Jane said as Carlos flushed slightly. "At least that I've noticed."

"Well, we're certainly glad to hear that," Ava said with a smile of her own.

"Hopefully the Tourney team will continue their pick up games so you can see Carlos in action," Jane said. "It's a shame you didn't get to see him when we were all at Auradon Prep."

"Jane...I'm better at R.O.A.R. anyway," Carlos said, his face still flushed.

"Don't sell yourself short Carlos, you were one of the pair who helped win the team the Championship after all."

"Jay and Ben did that, I just played defense."

Jane smiled fondly and gently kissed Carlos on the cheek. There was no one as modest as her boyfriend...well maybe except Ben but that was a tough choice.

Dude let out a small bark as the conversation lulled.

"Oh do you want to be introduced as well buddy?" Carlos asked with a smile as he picked up Dude. "Clay, this is Dude. The former Auradon Prep campus mutt. Dude, this is Clay and Ava, my...I guess you'd call Clay my littermate and Ava would be Clay's 'mate' in your eyes."

Carlos took one of Dude's paws and playfully waved it. "Hello!"

"Nice to meet you, Dude," Clay said with a small chuckle. "I certainly never thought I'd see this day."

"Trust me, I was shocked too," Carlos told him. "But Dude's amazing."

Dude wagged his tail at the compliment. Carlos' littermate and his mate seemed to be nice people, if his hooman trusted them, then they'd be part of Carlos' pack. Of course, he'd have to get Estelle and Nyx to double check the scents but so far, they seemed good.

"I'm happy for you Carlos," Clay said with a smile. "I barely even recognize you, Auradon's done you a world of good."

"I haven't changed that much."

"Carlos, if we could go back in time and put the old you next to the current you, people wouldn't even think you were the same person!"

Carlos shrugged. "I mean...I was afraid of dogs but I don't think I was that different from how I am now...am I?"

"You also would barely speak to or look women in the eye and were constantly looking over your shoulder like you were afraid Cruella would suddenly appear," Clay said, his voice soft even as his eyes grew hard at the mention of their shared 'mother'.

"...With her car, you know it was possible Clay," Carlos sighed. "Besides...I um...I had reason to be...I looked up your record. Your father had Cruella removed from your entry in the registry...she tried to kill you as a baby?"

It was Clay's turn to sigh. "I don't know the story, I just know Cruella shouldn't have been a mother. But let's talk about happier topics okay? It's your graduation!"

"Let's bring Chad over here," Jane suggested. "No sense Ginny should be the only one without their partner!"

Ginny chuckled but began to scan the room for her husband. Right over...ah there he was, with Ben of course.

Granted, that's what I suspected but always nice to have it confirmed. Ginny thought. I wonder what you're talking about...knowing Ben though, he's probably trying to avoid talking about his kids...not that Chad wouldn't want to talk about the twins but...we've been trying to have a child and no luck so far...it's a sensitive topic...besides, today's about Carlos. You can think about that at your doctor appointment next week.

"You just gave me the perfect out in that conversation," Chad's voice whispered in her ear and Ginny smiled at her husband.

"Glad to help," Ginny chuckled softly. "I want to introduce you to someone."

"Oh? Who is it?"

Ginny smiled and took Chad's hand, lacing her fingers through his. "Chad, I want to introduce you to my brother Clay. Clay, this is my husband Chad."

"Oh!" Chad said, nodding his head toward Clay. "Well it's nice to finally meet you Clay. I know Ginny and Carlos have spoken very highly of you."

Clay gave Chad a smile, nodding his head in return. "It's nice to finally meet you Chad, in person I mean. I did get to see Ginny's wedding over video call but it's nice to meet the man who stole my sister's heart."

"Clay," Ginny said, shaking her head with a small smile as she tried to whack him on the back of the head. Tried being the operative word.

Curse him and his height!

"Gonna have to be faster than that Gin," Clay teased. "Maybe a little taller too."

"Ava, would you be a dear and whack my brother on the head?" Ginny asked.

"Certainly," Ava chuckled as she gave Clay a light whack.

"Thank you," Ginny said.

"Yeah Clay, don't you know it's bad form to joke about your sister in front of her husband when you're meeting him for the first time?" Carlos asked with a small snort.

"Who said I was joking about Ginny?" Clay asked, shaking his head.

"I agree, Ginny's heart is no joking matter," Chad nodded.

Clay shot the blond a smile. "Good answer."

"You are just as intimidating as Cassandra is, I'm not risking it," Chad said.

"Oh you've met Cass?" Clay asked.

Ginny, though, shook her head at her husband. "You've gotten corny since we got married you know? That was a total Ben line."

"Just cause it's corny doesn't mean it's not true," Chad told her. "And Ben and I have known each other since birth, it'd make sense I'd have one of his lines."

"There are worse people to rub off on you Chad!" Mal called from where she was sitting with her children in their carriers.

"Yeah, I know Mal. I know," Chad called back with a small chuckle and shook his head.

"How're they doing?" Ginny asked.

Chad sighed. "Ben's been busy trying to figure out how that Gazelle photographer even got the credentials to be there since, you know, Ben practically shut down The Gazelle after they reported on Chip's wedding."

"Oh right, didn't they get like a ten year halt on publication with that civil case?" Carlos asked.

"They did," Jane nodded. "Mom was very happy about that. No Gazelle means no drama, no stressed out teens worried that they'll be reported on while in school."

"Why didn't this happen earlier?" Clay asked.

"Because Ben issued a proclamation getting them to stop reporting on Mal after Cotillion and they basically backed off after that," Carlos said. "But then they decided to go after Ben's brother and then after that his kids."

"You don't mess with someone's kids," Chad said, his voice soft as he gently rubbed Ginny's back. He wished he could somehow change the conversation but knew there was no way to do so gracefully—even if he knew how the talk of kids was likely getting punched in the gut repeatedly for his wife.

Just as it was for him.

Thankfully, Carlos seemed to be a mind reader because they quickly moved on to less kid centric topics—where his new practice would be located, Jay and Lonnie's elopement...wait, what?

"You didn't know about that?" Carlos asked, seeing the look on Chad's face.

"I think it's safe to say that, no I did not know about that Carlos," Chad said.

Carlos chuckled. "Don't worry, not many people did. I think the only witnesses were Lonnie's parents and brother, Aladdin and Jasmine for Jay, along with Emir since there was no way Jay was going to ask a seven month pregnant woman to go to his wedding, Lord Hades, I think Lady Persephone though I'm not sure, and of course Ben and Mal."

"Not Harry?"

"Oh right! Forgot about them and Hadie. But other than that, small wedding. Honestly, I think that was what they wanted anyway. With how much their personal lives are in the press anyway..."

"Right, right," Chad nodded though he made a mental note to send a wedding present.

If only because Lonnie still kinda scared him with her skill with a sword in R.O.A.R.

The time seemed to fly by as everyone continued to mill about; Carlos almost tackling Ben with a hug when he and Mal came round to say their goodbyes as the twins were getting fussy.

"Please don't kill my husband 'Los," Mal chuckled. "Or should I say Zoboomafoo?"

"Please don't," Carlos said with a small chuckle. "I'm guessing it's time for my interview?"

"You'd be right," Mal nodded. "We've already gone, we wanted to give you as much time with your siblings as we could but no more."

"Thanks Mal," Carlos said and walked over to the two most trusted reporters in Auradon. He knew Clay's eyes would still be on him no matter what but he couldn't wait to talk about looking forward to talking about running his own vet clinic and his life in Auradon...

"So can you tell me more about Zoboomafoo?"

Or maybe he would just have to plan the murder of his former classmates. Either one would work!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.9K 259 17
After Mal runs off to the Isle following her fight with Ben, she comes across some old acquaintances along with some trouble. It's up to Ben, Evie, J...
6.2K 206 9
King Ben brings over another batch of VK from the Isle. Will they take to it as well as the Core Four did? What happens when one of them is in a pret...
30.7K 452 48
Mal and Ben's lives are perfect! Well, Ben thinks it is...Mal can't decide if she's right for him or not.
63K 1.3K 14
{COMPLETED} It's been about a year since the five of you have been brought to Auradon, Mal ends up going back to the isle as you, Evie, Jay, Carlos...