Beloved

By varzanic

Raja's people are cursed. They struggle to fight off the demons that emerge from the Devil's Lair and drag vi... More

Chapter one No
Chapter two: Predator becomes the Prey
Chapter three: Drag me to Hell
Chapter four: The Devil's Lair
Chapter five: Bite Me
Chapter six The General
Chapter seven Satan's Collar
Chapter eight: A Long Day
Chapter nine Good Morning
Chapter ten: A Heart of Diamonds
Chapter eleven: Friends With God
Chapter twelve: Expectations of a Pet
Chapter thirteen Hair Cut
Chapter fourteen: Helix
Chapter fifteen A Little Man in a Big Man's World
Chapter sixteen: Man of my Word
Chapter seventeen Just Like Him
Chapter eighteen Nina to the Rescue
Chapter nineteen An Old Friend
Chapter 20: No Bitting
Chapter 21: Giving In
Chapter 22 Replaced
Chapter 23: I Love the Devil
Chapter 24: My Beloved
Chapter 25: Middle of the Lake
Chapter 26 By MySelf
Chapter twenty-seven Archery Practise
Chapter 28 Pushed Over the Edge
Chapter 29 To Make Matters Worse
Chapter 30 Bear Trap
Chapter 31 Your Mine
Chapter 32: Warrior Ceremony
Chapter 33: Bang
Chapter 34: Infectious Good Bye

Beloved (boyxboy)

102K 2.1K 591
By varzanic

Prologue 

“We’re not allowed.”

“That’s why it’s important for you to be quiet.” I pushed the shorter boy to the side and stumbled down the embankment. Just in front of us, surrounded by slopping hills, sat the entrance to the demon’s lair. A black hole carved into the side of the mountain which led to the underworld, or so the legends said. 

“Raja, I think we should leave.” 

“A warrior isn’t afraid of anything.” I slipped down to a lower level and adjusted my quiver strap across my bare chest. 

“But you’re not a warrior,” said Nyko in a hushed voice.

“Not yet,” I muttered. “But my coming of age will be soon.” 

“You won’t be sixteen until next year.”

Glancing over my shoulder, I glared at him. “Azuka said to be a great warrior you have to think like one.” 

“I don’t think he meant this, Raja. This place is forbidden; not even your brothers come here. If the chief finds out-”

“My father isn’t going to find out.” I continued down the steep path.

He grabbed my arm. “What if one of those creatures is down there?”

“They haven’t come in years.” I jerked my arm free. “What makes you think today will be any different?” I took a step forward and felt the ground shift beneath me.

“Raja!” Nyko tried to grabbed me as I toppled forward and rolled the rest of the way down the incline.  

I landed on my stomach in the dirt and felt a pain in my ankle. The rock I had stepped came to a stop by my head. 

“Raja!” Nyko sided down to a lower ledge and used a tree to stop himself.

“I’m fine,” I muttered as I sat up and wiped my face. “Just stay up there.” Rising to my elbows, I peered into the dark tunnel. “Wow,” I breathed. I slowly stood up and hobbled toward the entrance. 

“Raja,” hissed my friend. “Please Raja, let’s go back.”

“Just a minute.” I ran my hand down the wooden pillar surrounding the door. 

“Raja, don’t touch it.”

“It’s fine.” I traced the black symbols that a wise-man had burned not the wood long ago had to keep the demon inside. It didn’t work though; the giant beast would still emerged from hell and dragged members of my tribe to the dark underworld. 

“Raja,” begged Nyko. “Please can we go now?”

“Alright.” I limped back to the tree. “Give me a hand.”

Nyko crawled down to a lower overhand and grabbed my outstretched arm. “What are you going to tell your dad about your ankle?”

I shrugged as I climbed up on the rock where he was standing. “I’ll think of something.”

“Did you hear that?” asked Nyko.

I sat down and rubbed the slightly swollen joint. “No. You’re just hearing things.”

He stood still. “There it was again.”

“You’re hearing things,” I muttered annoyed. “Come on let’s go. Azuka will come looking if we don’t get back soon.” I started up the hill.

Nyko grabbed my arm. “I mean it Raja. Something’s in there.” He glanced toward the tunnel.

Shaking my head, I continued up in the incline. “Like I said you’re hearing things. You’re just afraid, so you mind is playing tricks on you.”

“Raja!” he yelled before hurrying after me. “Don’t leave me.”

I simply laughed as he clambered past me. “You scare too easy.” I heard the sounds of rocks shifting. Freezing in place, I listened for a moment, but heard nothing, excepted Nyko desperate attempts to get to the top. Turning around, I scooted down to the lower trees. 

“Raja, come on!” called Nyko from the top. “Let’s go.”

Ignoring him, I stooped down and peeked through the bushes. Something was moving in the darkness. A demon hadn’t come since I was little when my mother was taken away. If they had returned to take another person to hell, I was going to do whatever it took to stop it. Grabbed my bow, I fitted an arrow on the string. 

“Raja.”

“Quiet,” I hissed, while aiming at the entrance. I’d kill the monster before it could take another member of my tribe. 

The forest fell silent excepted for the soft echos from the cave. The sound slowly got closer. Taking a calming breath, I steadied my trembling hand. A figure mange to form in the shadows as it approached the light. My entire body was shaking, but I held my position. 

A devilish figure coated in thick clothing stepped out from the underworld. I had never seen one before, not many member of my tribe had. It’s face was hidden behind a black reflective material. All of it’s skin was hidden behind its protective armor. It was the largest man I had ever seen, making my oldest brother seem small in comparison. It’s head turn from side to side, but I couldn’t be sure if it had spotted me. 

It took a step forward. I had to kill it now, before it got away. Yanking back the string, I aimed the tip of the arrow at it’s chest. The string slipped from my fingers, and I couldn’t believe it. The arrowhead struck the demon just below the left shoulder before it fell to the ground. It didn’t even leave a scratched. Not even a dent in the demon’s armor. I couldn’t believe it. 

The demon’s eyes were staring directly at me. With a deep laugh, the monster dropped his pack on the ground.

“Raja!” 

Panic was all I felt as I dropped my bow and desperately started to climb up the embankment. I reached for a root but lost my footing before I could get a hold of it. Clawing at the ground, I slide down the incline into the demon’s reach. It snatched my hurt ankle and tossed me into the clearing. 

“Raja!” screamed Nyko.

I fought to get the man off me. He grabbed a handful of my hair and dragged me to his bag. I kept kicking and shoving him away from me, but the demon was too strong. He flipped me to my back and tied my hands. I screamed into the dirt as I struggled to free myself. 

A warrior’s cry sounded through the trees. I lifted my head to see a man leap from the trees. The demon rose to defend itself, but what I had failed to do my savior seceded. He thrusted his spear under the black material hiding the demon’s face and twisted. I heard the suction sound of skin being pierced. 

Blood ran down the monster armor as it dropped to its knees. The warrior jerked his weapon free before tossing it to he side and coming to help me. 

“Raja!” called Azuka as he skidded down the embankment. “What were you thinking?”

My bindings were cut, and I fell into my brother’s arms. I still felt in shock after everything that had happened. I had almost been taken. Looking from the dead demon to my savior, I stared into his hazel eyes. He saved me.

My brother made me look at him. “If Zev hadn’t gotten here in time, do you know what would have happen!”

I bowed my head, ashamed. “I’m sorry. I-I didn’t think one of those things-”

“You didn’t think at all.” He stood and brought me up with him.

I winced when my foot touched the ground. 

“What happened?” said my brother firmly. 

“I twisted it when I fell,” I muttered.

“I’ll take him back,” said Zev. 

Azuka nodded. “Tell Nyko to run back to the village and tell my father what happened. The wise-man will know what to do with this.” He glanced toward the corpse. “We don’t need others coming.”

Zev grabbed my arm and looped it around his neck. It took us some time to get to the top but with Zev’s help I managed to get there. I couldn’t look at him the whole way. I was embarrassed by my actions. 

After sending off Nyko, Zev sat me down on a fallen log. He knelt and examined my ankle. “You shouldn’t be walking on this.”

I stared at the ground. “I’ll be fine.”

He snatched my chin and made me look at him. “You’re not to walk on it.”

I could feel the power in his voice. This was a warrior, a real man, who had killed a demon. All I could do was nod. Zev helped me onto his back. I wrapped my arms around his neck and held on tight as he started back to the village. We walked in silence for most of the way. I was still embarrassed by what I had done, but I felt like I should say at least something.

“Thank you,” I whispered. “For saving me.”

He fixed his grip on my legs. “I pledged my life to protect our people.”

I nodded and laid my head against his shoulder. I couldn’t stop myself from admiring the definition of each muscle, the mark of a true warrior. Zev was so strong and tall like my brothers. I hoped one day to be like him. I wanted to be the strongest warrior in the tribe, but I don’t think that would ever happen. 

We arrived at the village to be swarmed by women. They quickly came to my aid. After my mother was taken, they had taken it upon themselves to take care of the chief’s youngest son. Zev managed to maneuver us through them all into my family’s hut. He sat me down on a woven matt in my little room, before going to herd the woman out of the hut. 

“I’ll see to him,” he announced, shutting he ticket door. Zev found some bandages and sat down beside me. “It was really foolish of you to go there.”

I nodded. “Sorry,” I said softly.

He grabbed my chin and lifted it, so I met his gaze. His shoulder length black hair fell forward as he brushed mine back. “Are you hurt anywhere else?” he whispered.

I shook my head and tried to look away. 

He wouldn’t let me. Cupping my cheek, he ran his thumb along my cheek bone. “Don’t ever do it again.”

My eyes were burning. I was already embarrassed and then to hear the disappointment in his voice hurt.

“You think highly of me, don’t you?”

I was a little taken back by the questioned. I didn’t think I was that easy to read. Bitting my lip, I stared at my hands. Zev stood out among the other warriors and now after he saved me, I couldn’t help but admire him even more. 

“Raja?” he flipped my chin up again. 

“Yes,” I whispered. “I do.” I shifted my legs away from him. “My brothers and father speak highly of you, and-and after…”

He smiled. “Good.”

I met his eyes and was surprised when he leaned forward and kissed me. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

722K 40.9K 57
BOYxBOY || ACTION || ROMANCE || FANTASY || LGBT Wickeds have grown to a whopping 3% of the entire U.S. population. No one knows where they origin...
409 70 70
" One advanced, then two. Soon I was running from five of them. My legs ached as branches lashed and scratched my cheeks. They were gaining as the st...
1M 55K 40
On his first moon, Aden finds a white werewolf with red markings staring back at him in his reflection. He is definitely a sub but with a little extr...
255K 13.5K 26
What if the world of spirits is closer than you'd think? What if they lived alongside us day-to-day. It's been almost 15 years since these two worl...