Monster Hunter When Fantasy C...

By Landiahazak

Probably one of the most successful video game franchises in recent years, Monster Hunter has always been a s... More

Introduction
Rath: Rathalos and Rathian
Elephants of the North
Yian
Vaal Hazak
Lynian
Blos
Titanodracon
Cave Crawlers
Gargantugons
Dinosagónia
Gliding Monkeys
Basarios and Gravios
The Three Lords
Fídisuchian
Airborne Oddities
Kushala Daora
Skýlosávra
Deviljho
Bazelgeuse
Rajang
Vouvalosauria
Urban Wildlife
Nargacuga
Temnoceran
Penicauda
Equigon
Brachydios
The End

Evolutionary Anomalies from the Sea

126 4 0
By Landiahazak

Humans seem to be hardwired to want to classify things, and when it comes to nature, we created taxonomy to help us accomplish that. But unsurprisingly, this system used to be flawed. People originally grouped together species who had similar traits but which came from completely different origins.

When Carl Linnaeus came around, his own system changed the original to classify organisms by traits that came from common evolutionary ancestors. Today we know his methods were more accurate thanks to Charles Darwin's discovery of evolutionary theory, but it still doesn't mean it was flawless.

Over the ages, the taxonomy system became more refined and accurate, and since we're now able to look at the genetic codes of organisms, we can draw lines between species which we never thought possible. Yet, even with all our technology, we occasionally come across anomalies.

These beings appear to be completely distinct from all other groups in the tree of life. Even with genetic testing, sometimes the best we can do is give these organisms an order while everything under is entirely unique.

Typically, there are two ways these anomalies may occur. The first happens when the organisms are one of the last remaining members of an otherwise extinct lineage. The other is when the lifeforms have been isolated from the rest of the world for so long that they've become something drastically different. In the case of Somnacanth hōnengami, and other aquatic or semi-aquatic creatures, it's a mixture of both scenarios.

Named after its abilities, appearance, and the yokai known as hōnengame, a mythical creature they most likely inspired, these 3.6 meter long and 1.2 meter tall Leviathans are truly bizarre animals. Living within the waters of Japan, Somnacanths have been feared by those living along the coast for centuries due to their appearances, cunning and territorial behavior, as well as their mysterious nature.

Despite having a menagerie of unique features, their most iconic one is their disturbingly humanoid face. At a distance, their head design can easily trick the untrained eye; however, upon getting closer, it's revealed that what looked to be a long haired human is in fact a Leviathan with a rounded face, cranial fins, and a pair of horn-like nodules above its eyes.

One reason for their uncanny face comes from the diet of these animals. Since Somnacanths primarily use sight to hunt, their rounded face gives them excellent binocular vision, allowing them to judge the distance between themselves and their targets.

Unlike any other Crocodylomorphs, the Somnacanth genus has incredibly powerful lips which have almost completely replaced their teeth, with the exception of two fangs on their upper jaws. This extreme change makes the animals perfectly suited for eating hard bodied organisms. By wrapping their lips around their prey, and quickly pulling back their tongue, similarly to a walrus, Somnacanths can suck out the fleshy insides of their victims. But if they are hunting something that isn't so well armoured, then they'll use their fangs to cut open their meal, before using the same technique as before to extract the organs.

But, with next to no teeth, how are these Leviathans supposed to carry out a killing blow on a struggling prey? This is where one of their ability comes in. Just like Gravios, Somnacanths have Selaguma in their intestinal track which they obtain by eating their parents' dung, allowing them to put targets to sleep. By using a similar system to Onkólithorios, these animals can distribute the sleep gasses throughout their bodies; however, Somnacanths emit the fumes through their mouth and slits in their neck and tail. Thanks to this, the Leviathans can impede their victims' abilities to escape or fight back. Of course, the animals will also use it to fend off predators.

Most of the time, these animals can simply knock out their attackers and make a break for it into water; however, if this isn't an option, Somnacanths still have many ways of protecting themselves. By placing their tail beneath their body, they can lift themselves off the ground, making themselves 2.1 meters tall, and exposing a pattern that resembles those seen on taiko drums, making the Leviathans more intimating. Despite standing on their tails, Somnacanths are surprisingly stable in this position, able to whip their head around without losing their balance. This is very important, as it allows them to reveal another surprise in their arsenal.

Normally, the huge fin that's positioned on top of their head is used to make them more streamline while swimming; however, when swinging with enough force, Somnacanths can launch loose, dart-like quills at the end of the appendage, allowing them to snipe enemies at a distance. But if the Leviathans are to use this weapon, they must get enough room to build momentum, meaning that they'll need stand on their tail; otherwise, their fin will keep hitting the ground when they're swinging their head. But if all else fails, these animals can use their long claws and massive headgear to smack around opponents.

Of course, not all fights happen on land, and when that occurs, Somnacanths have to change their fighting style. If for any reason their amazing swimming ability isn't enough to shake their pursuer, these animals get creative. By using Tridacna exparsus, soilidus, and biona, all of which are smaller relatives to the giant clams, the Cornicetamorphs can use their unique defense mechanism to their advantage.

Usually Somnacanths eat these 45 centimeter long clams, extracting their insides by using their hooked claws to pry open the shell, or breaking the armour by repeatedly striking it against the hard scales of their undersides; however, these Bivalves fight back. All three species of Tridacna have their own unique way of protecting themselves. Exparsus rapidly ejects blasts of water capable of pushing threats away. Soilidus, on the other hand, forces sediments into the eyes of attackers by blowing into the ground, while biona unleashes algae with medicinal properties that's been growing inside it, confusing hunters.

Having realized that the clams can be more than just food, Somnacanths will actually use the Bivalves against aquatic predators, giving them a way to fight back even in water. But despite all these abilities and strategies made for battle, these Leviathans are actually quite peaceful when left alone.

When they aren't being aggressive, these Leviathans will spend most of their time maintaining their fins, and ridding them of parasites. Since their fins are so numerous, and they predominantly use their claws to dislodge unwanted guests, it can take hours of grooming before Somnacanths are satisfied with the results.

Interestingly, these illusive animals have been observed singing while grooming themselves, seemingly to pass the time. These songs are especially common around bodies of water during the night. It's unknown why Somnacanths sing, but it seems likely that these could be how they mark their territories, considering how aggressive they are towards trespassers. Another possibility is that these songs are used to communicate with one another over long distances.

But whatever the reason for this behavior, these songs can be dangerous. Throughout history, people who were attracted by the melody of these sirens have found themselves running their ships aground. The scale of these accidents can vary greatly, but during WWII, one incident became legendary after an American aircraft carrier plowed straight into a cliff, due to the singing of the Leviathans and the incredibly foggy night. These accidents have happened so many times that folklore says the quills on Somnacanths are the souls of those who've fallen for the trickery and died at sea because of it.

Although it's now common knowledge to stay away from singing out at sea, people continue to get tricked by the Crocodylomorphs. Even in winter, there's the risk of being deceived, since Somnacanths have countercurrent heat exchange, meaning they can stay active all year round.

But despite all this destructive potential, Somnacanths have also been a source of creativity for many. Throughout history, people have created recipes, medicine, songs, and even dances inspired by the Leviathans.

People's views on Somnacanths have always been divided, but something that most can agree on, is that their presence has contributed to Japan's identity. Unfortunately, these near threatened Leviathans are under threat. Although they themselves aren't directly affected by climate change, their food sources are.

Because of global warming, the reefs which support their prey are dying. Warming waters, red soil runoff, and the possibility of a crown-of-thorns starfish outbreak, all pose threats to these very important ecosystems which protect both animals and humans from nature's wrath.

However in places like Iriomote-Ishigaki, entire communities are working together to save the coral reefs. Forming the Sekisei Lagoon Nature Restoration Committee, everyone, from fishermen to the government, are pitching in to save these natural wonders.

If you want to help, please raise awareness of the dangers reefs face, grow green belts to prevent red soil runoff, and help in coral farming/taking care of young coral. It's definitely not going to be easy, but if we continue working hard to protect the reefs then the songs of Somnacanths can continue to be heard during moonlit nights.

======================================

The strange, yet wonderful singing of Somnacanths call to mind the alluring and seductive voices of sirens and mermaids. Thanks to their lips, these Leviathans can form and change the sounds of their songs, creating beautiful melodies.

But if you're to head into Japan's mountains, the musical voices of Somnacanths will be replaced by the shrill, and bewitching song of their relatives. Just like the yokai which they inspired, yuki onna, Somnacanth shimoi are the alluring but chilling predators of the peaks.

Measuring 3.4 meters in length and 1 in height, the Aurora Somnacanths are the only and closest living relative of Somnacanths. Despite their similarities, the Leviathans live two very different lifestyles, and it's believed that the former is actually a recent offshoot of the species, explaining why the mountain dwelling Crocodylomorphs still have fins, despite not needing them.

Although their fins can be cumbersome at times, they still have some use, since they can provide the Aurora Somnacanths with insulation when the temperature drops. In addition to this, the massive cranial fin can still be used for defense or attack.

Similarly to their cousins of lower altitudes, the primary fin on the head of Aurora Somnacanths is tipped with loose spikes, capable of being flung when exposed to enough speed. However, unlike those seen on Somnacanths, the spines of these Leviathans are made of ice. Just like a few other species, these animals are capable of producing fluids which freeze on contact with air. Aurora Somnacanths can secrete this substance throughout their body, but the liquids commonly pool near their massive fin, making it common for ice to form on the appendage. Of course, countercurrent heat exchange is the reason why their headgear doesn't get frostbite, despite having icicles hanging off of them.

Due to the material of these icicles, instead of simply breaking upon hitting something, the fluids within them leak out on the ground, creating an icy surface in cold weather. These projectiles pack some extra punch even after being smashed. When Aurora Somnacanths scream, their voice lets off an incredibly specific frequency that causes ice to shatter, turning the frozen spots into landmines. In addition to their projectiles, these animals can expel the fluids as beams from their mouth or as fountains through the slits in their body. This allows Aurora Somnacanths to freeze both predators and prey alike.

These abilities are especially useful when it comes to hunting, as Aurora Somnacanth's diet consists of creatures that are much more active then those of their relatives. When stalking prey in winter or near mountain peaks, the coloration of these animals allow them to stay hidden. Yet, when it comes to catching meals during the warmer times of the year, or at lower altitudes, these Leviathans have to change tactics.

Aurora Somnacanths typically sing to mark their territories; however they can also use their voice to lure in prey. Thanks to their complex vocal folds, the Reptile equivalent of vocal cords, these animals can make noises that will attract their victims. Once in striking distance, the Leviathans will use their surprising agility to close the distance and use their claws, fangs, and icy powers to dispatch their targets.

Despite having many abilities, these Crocodylomorphs aren't a match for the power of some other hunters, regularly getting overpowered. Because this, Aurora Somnacanths generally drag their meals away to more secure areas before feeding, and thanks to their strong tail, they can use them to boost themselves to 1.9 meters in height, allowing them to reach places where their competitors can't.

Although their hunting habits are well documented, the everyday life of these animals isn't. Due to their mountainous homes and territorial nature, it's hard to examine these creatures in the wild. One of the few things we do know is that unlike most Reptiles, Aurora Somnacanths take care of their young for many years, displaying a behavior that's closer to Birds and Mammals. The reason for this is unclear, but it's theorized that it has to do with the harshness of their homes, and the fact that these Crocodylomorphs only lay between 1 to 4 eggs, making their clutches surprisingly small.

Because of this, people have taken great care in keeping an eye on Aurora Somnacanth populations. Currently, these creatures are doing well in the least concerned category.

Due to their isolation and solitary nature, people are very unlikely to come into conflict with Aurora Somnacanths; however, global warming has been having an effect on their habitat. Because of rising temperatures, the ice attacks these animals use to capture prey is becoming less viable, making hunting more difficult.

Right now this isn't a major problem, but it has the potential of getting out of hand. By changing to environmentally friendly products, supporting organizations and politicians who are trying to do something about this issue, and using more energy efficient ways of transportation, you too can help stop global warming and in the process help protect these alpine Leviathans.

======================================

When entering the ocean's depths, it's as if you've arrived in a completely different universe. It's filled with strange, yet beautiful creatures which seem like they've come out of a dream. However, the deep sea is also home to terrifying and grotesque species, things that appear to have crawled out of a nightmare.

This world without light is simultaneously both a magical and cursed landscape. Every time we descend into the abyss, we discover more about these surreal species and ecosystems. But sometimes, we don't have to dive to find these beasts from the deep. Occasionally, their bodies will ascend to the surface and bring curiosity and shock to all who find them.

In 1977, a bizarre mass of flesh, bone, and skin washed up on Black Sand beach in New Zealand. Unsurprisingly, this attracted a lot of attention, and soon enough scientists hulled off the body to figure out what it was. Meanwhile, the news of the mysterious glob spread around the country, and it wasn't long before the beast was given a name: Nakarkos: the nautilus carcass of death.

This title turned out to be more accurate than first expected, as the globster that had washed up was the carcass of a Cephalopod that had clad itself in bones for armour. In 1980, the creature would be recognized as a new species and officially named Ostokalamarex avyssos. It would take another 23 years before another Nakarkos was found near South Africa; however this one was alive.

Able to grow to be at least 11.6 meters long, though they could possibly get bigger, these deep sea creatures are the lords of the abyss; however, Nakarkoses aren't born as apex predators. As Cephalopods, these bizarre creatures are made from pure muscle, making them incredibly strong but also soft and vulnerable. Yet the thing which makes them truly dangerous is their intelligence.

Similarly to another Cephalopod with eight limbs, the octopus, Nakarkoses use debris to create suits of armour, and the objects they choose can vary greatly. Bones are the most common material used, but stones, wood, human junk, and parts of sunken ships can be found as their defenses.

But with all these objects to keep track of, surely some chunks of their armour will detach. However, these giants of the deep have a special ability that ensures that there defenses won't ever fall off. Nakarkoses naturally excrete sticky, blue, waterproof mucus from their skin which allows them to glue things to their body for armour. This goop can also be used to repair damaged parts of their suits, or as projectile to severely impede the movements of their target, especially when their meal gets covered in debris because of it.

Although this mucus is very useful when attacking prey at a distance, Nakarkoses rarely use it, as their long tentacles allow them to close the distance without moving. On top of that, they'll arm the tips of these limbs with a variety of objects, turning them into dangerous weapons.

Fascinatingly, Nakarkoses have been observed to use materials with specific shapes to create their tools. Hammers, knives, and pincers are all weapons these Cephalopods have been seen making, then attaching to themselves, and using for hunting. As if this wasn't enough, the animals will even use their powerful bone crushing beak to mold the materials in to the shapes they desire.

Of course, these animals must find materials in the first place to construct their armour and tools, and this is when they're at their most vulnerable. It's estimated that only one in every hundred hatchlings will make it to adulthood, hence why females lay thousands of eggs. As soon as the babies hatch, it's a mad dash to find something to protect themselves with. Unfortunately for them, Nakarkoses aren't good mothers like some other Cephalopods. Even after having protected the eggs for months, they'll eat their offsprings if they can get their tentacles on them, making the search for a suitable shell all the more important.

Luckily for the young, Nakarkoses are hoarders which keep huge amounts of objects in their lair, presumably so they always have things to use in case of emergencies. With so many things littering these underwater caves and pits, newborns have a menagerie of items to choose from.

Unfortunately for the youngsters, even with armour, most of them will be eaten by larger creatures. However, if they manage to reach adulthood, the tables will turn as they become the hunters. These voracious Cephalopods will eat almost anything. Giant and colossal squids, Serpenlongs, Plesioths, sharks Lagiacruses, young whales and Gargantugons, Shen Gaorens, smaller Nakarkoses, and many more animals are on their menu. Even land and airborne species aren't safe if they find themselves too far out at sea. Really, the only thing that doesn't fear them is adult Ceadeuses which are their natural predators because they can break through their carapaces.

However, Nakarkoses won't go down without a fight. Besides their armour, mucus, and weapon crafting abilities, these animals have three other features which they'll only use when they feel threatened. The first of these is the bioluminescent patterns they create to make themselves look more intimating.

Just like most Cephalopods, Nakarkos bodies are covered in chromatophores, allowing them to change coloration at will. However, due to their armour, these deep sea creatures primarily use this ability for display rather than camouflage.

Their second trick is jet propulsion. By sucking water into a mantle made from elastic muscle fibers, then clenching them to force the liquid out through movable funnels, this tactic allows them to move in explosive bursts of speed for quick escape.

The third ability is without a doubt the most powerful, but it's also the most dangerous for its users. Similarly to other species, these Cephalopods have the dragon energy, allowing them to attack the immune system of their targets. In the case of Nakarkoses, they can fire super concentrated beams of their own white blood cells from pores in their tentacles, as well as their beak. However, due to the content of these dragon energy projectiles, this can severely weaken or even be fatal to the Cephalopods, so they'll only ever use it as a last resort.

All in all, these gluttonous hermits are more than capable of taking care of themselves, and destroy any enemy that stands in their way. However, these animals aren't invincible. Despite living in the depths, Nakarkoses aren't immune to damages inflicted to the world's oceans. Deep sea fishing risks ensnaring the Cephalopods in nets, while also reducing their food supply. Dredging is another devastating blow to these animals. When humans mine the seafloor for precious mineral deposits, they stir up the top sediments which not only messes with the ecosystems but releases toxic deposits. Acidification is another culprit, since it eats away at the armour these creatures depend upon.

Unfortunately, these are only a few of the threats these Cephalopods face, and without a clear figure of how many there are, for all we know, they could be anywhere between least concerned and critically endangered. However, there's still hope. By advocating for the creation of more protected areas in our oceans, the end of dredging, restrictions on deep sea fishing, and supporting research on how to stop ocean acidification, we can all do are part in protecting not just Nakarkoses, but the lifeforms that coexists with them.

======================================

Throughout history, people have been telling stories about mysterious, uncharted islands full of exotic, undiscovered species and civilizations. From Atlantis, the empire who was swallowed by the sea, to Skull Island, the home of giant dinosaur-fighting ape, these tales have continually captured our imaginations.

However, one type of island stories stands out: the living island. From time to time, humans will make up stories of people landing on a landmass, only to realize that they're on a giant sea beast.

Although entertaining, these stories are of course, nothing but fiction. But sometimes, when we go out to sea, people may spot a green mass heading towards them. At first they may think that it's just a trick of the eye, but as it gets closer, they discover themselves being bombarded by small, yet aggressive beetles: Tonitrovolare Yamatsuki. When the assault begins, that's when the blob reveals its true identity as the gigantic Cephalopod: Vagusinsulam polypi.

Measuring 21.9 meters in width from the tip of one tentacle to the other, the colossal Yama Tsukamis absolutely dwarf their 7 centimeter long bodyguards, the Great Thunderbugs, and their 3 centimeter long minions: one is the world's largest Cephalopod species and the other is a swarm of beetles. This brings up the question of how such a bizarre relationship can even be possible.

Now it's unknown when it began, but at some point in history, Yama Tsukamis became the hosts of multiple parasitic plant species, such as Dragonwood and Dragonmoss which eventually evolved to absorb the floating oceanic giants' blood for sustenance. However, either at the same time or not long after, Great Thunderbugs arrived and started feeding on the vegetation, turning the backs of the Cephalopods into microsystems. Due to their inability to return to the mainland, these beetles, and the flora they feed upon, became endemic to Yama Tsukamis. In addition to this, these living islands also temporarily host seabirds and semi-aquatic creatures, acting as rest stops for them.

Since the bacteria in Yama Tsukami guts produce hydrogen, and the animals themselves are made entirely of muscles, these Cephalopods are surprisingly light and buoyant for their size, making it impossible for them to submerge. Although it's possible for these giants to release gasses to sink deeper, they'll always be on the surface. This is how it's possible for terrestrial ecosystems to exist on aquatic organisms.

Although they can't dive, these behemoths have no need to do so, as there main food sources are on the surface. Unlike other Cephalopods, Yama Tsukamis have become incredibly specialized surface feeders. They've completely lost their jet propulsion abilities. Instead, they only use their four largest tentacles to move around at a leisurely pace, while the remaining two are used to pass food into their gargantuan mouth. Their beak has broken up into flat, teeth-like protrusions which they now use to grind up anything they can't swallow.

With all these adaptations, Yama Tsukamis are capable of eating just about anything. By simply opening their maw and inhaling, they can gobble up anything from plankton to fur seals. However, when they use their pseudo teeth to bite food into manageable pieces, they can devour things as large as orcas. Despite being so dangerous, Yama Tsukamis don't seem to be actively hunting anything. Instead, these opportunistic titans appear to simply eat whatever's unluckily enough to be in the path of their maws, making them mostly passive animals.

The only times these creatures do become active are when they're fending off predators with their appendages, or when mating. When two Yama Tsukamis meet, they'll use their tentacles to embrace one another, allowing the male to use its modified first right arm to impregnate the female. After that, the two will separate, and a few months later, the female will release millions of eggs into the ocean, where they'll hatch and hopefully get the chance to grow into adults.

However, it's not just Yama Tsukamis which take the opportunity to reproduce when they come in contact with another member of their own species. While the titans are mating, the Great Thunderbugs which act as kings or queens of their swarm will quickly procreate with each other, while unknowingly spreading the pollen of the plants they feed on, maintaining genetic variety. Once the process is complete, the beetles will resume their normal behavior which mostly comprises of eating and flying. However, if ever they feel that their homes are threatened, they'll become much more aggressive.

By intensifying their bioluminescent thoraxes from blue to reddish white, Great Thunderbugs essentially tell their swarm to get ready for battle. Unlike most beetles, these insects don't have heavy armor to protect themselves; however, they have something that's even better. By storing statistic electricity in their bodies, these insects can discharge it as shocks to stun adversaries. This power is greatly amplified by the Great Thunderbugs, as they not only expel their own charge but, by bringing the swarm together, their thunderous discharges hit all at once.

Thanks to this strange, yet amazing symbiotic relationship, these animals are capable of being found in every single ocean. However they aren't a common sight, and unfortunately, their endangered status means that they're becoming rarer.

Similarly to many other species of the ocean, Yama Tsukamis and their microsystems are under threat. Although ship strikes are rare as it's very hard to not see them, and their size makes it impossible for adults to be caught, plastic waste is a gigantic problem for them.

Since Yama Tsukamis eat anything that comes into their mouths, plastic is regularly swallowed by them. Alone, one piece barely affects them, but over time, this starts piling up, and eventually, even these goliaths succumb, and with their death comes the demise of an ecosystem. In addition to this, microplastics enter the food web when small animals mistake them for food particles. As the plastics work their way up, they'll eventually find themselves in humans.

However, we can fix this problem we've created. Between supporting and working with the thousands of organizations that get trash out of the seas and only using things that are designed to be repaired, upgraded, reused, or recycled rather than being thrown away, as well as spreading the knowledge you now know and demanding more protected areas in our oceans, you too can help Yama Tsukamis and their unique ecosystems survive.

======================================

Evolution has a tendency to surprise us in ways we never thought possible. All over the world there are bizarre anomalies, but a large majority of them come from our oceans.

The singing sirens of Japan, the Somnacanths are truly bizarre animals. With the face of a human, the body of a Leviathan, the fins of a fish, and the craftiness of a monkey, it's no wonder these creatures are truly inspiring to many.

Once from the sea, now deceptive creatures of the mountains, the Aurora Somnacanths are some incredible animals on the path to new forms. Moving effortlessly through the mountainous terrains of their homes, these illusive Leviathans of ice are sure to have many more surprises going forward.

The undertakers of the deep, the clever Nakarkoses may be mysterious, but they have many things to show us. Clad in bony armour and armed with so many tools, these Cephalopods strike fear into the hearts of those who come across them.

One of the most peculiar symbiotic relationship ever, the floating islands that are the Yama Tsukamis and swarming beetles known as Great Thunderbugs are truly a dynamic duo. Between the power of the giant Cephalopods and the thunderous abilities of the oceanic insects, these animals are something that looks straight out of a dream.

The sea has produced so many strange, beautiful, and terrifying beasts, and there are many more to be discovered. No matter how improbable we may think something is, nature always has a way of subverting our expectations and making the impossible possible.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

49 0 3
A thousand years after the fall of the human race, Earth has recovered and is bursting with more wonders than ever before. The seven great continents...
111 1 27
The ghouls are so excited. A few classes including one that their in, is taking a week long vacation to an offshore island near the Great Scarier Ree...
2.9K 22 35
[+] My king, perhaps you are bored? Yes, I am. My king, here is a new world for you. Enemies may dwell there, but I'm sure you can defeat them. Worry...
3.8K 164 23
You can't remember when it all began. When something changed. Or maybe you could, if you thought deep enough on it. All you knew now though, was that...