The Case

Oleh CharlieFenwick

A retelling of "Measure of a Man." Commander Bruce Maddox and Data have a long history. For the first few yea... Lebih Banyak

Prelude to Moonlight
Resigned
Solidarity
Zugzwang
Some Things Endure
Promises of Tomorrow
Personal Effects
Closing Arguments
The Measure of a Man
Epilogue: The Man in the Mirror

On Ice

18 2 47
Oleh CharlieFenwick

Author's Note: Ain't love wonderful?

Yes, yes it is. 

While this story is predominately about Data & Tasha, it is going to touch a bit on the history of Jean-Luc Picard and Phillipa Louvois.

I always found Louvois a fantastic character and was sad there wasn't more explored there. The Stargazer situation was a pivotal part of Picard's backstory. And I've always gotten the vibe there was much more between them.

The Case will not be the only time we see Phillipa – she's going to come back again in a later instalment. She's just far too good of a character to be one and done!

As for characters, Maddox is a complete creep. He's one of my big baddies and significantly more icky in this retelling. There are no redeeming qualities in this man. Brian Brophy did such a wonderful job portraying him in Measure of a Man, it's a real shame they didn't give more to work with.

Brophy had this subtle sense of malice about him that I love to hate. I'm really trying to write Maddox in that style.

-X-

"What are you doing out here?" Picard asked.

He directed Phillipa over to his table in the corner of the lounge and pulled out her chair.

"I'm in charge of the Twenty Third Sector JAG office," Phillipa answered.

It was a new addition to Starbase 173 and a part of the expansion.

"We're brand new," Phillipa explained. "I have no staff but one terrified little Ensign."

It would be another month before the first of her staff arrived. Phillipa was still combing through personnel records to fill out the rest of her team.

"Hopefully we can make some good law out here," Phillipa concluded.

With Federation policy changing along the border of the Neutral Zone, it was very possible that open diplomatic talks were just a matter of time. Travel and trade would follow and Phillipa presumed her selection had something to do with that.

Her experience in interplanetary relations would prove to be a valuable asset.

"So you came back to Starfleet," Picard remarked.

"The most exciting and worthwhile place to be," Phillipa said as she raised a glass.

They both took a drink and then Phillipa sighed.

"How I've missed it," Phillipa confessed.

Picard's brow furrowed.

"You had no reason to leave," he said.

Phillipa chuckled and shook her head. It seemed genial, but there was an unmistakable bitterness that coloured her response.

"They as good as forced me out," Philippa said.

"You've never been one to shy away from a fight," Picard said.

Phillipa took a sip of her wine and then sat back and shrugged.

"Part of that reputation comes from knowing which fights to walk away from," Phillipa responded.

Jean-Luc looked unconvinced by her answer.

"You know there was a little voice in my head that told me not to take the Stargazer case," Phillipa shared. "I could have passed the assignment on to Hawkins or Freich."

Phillipa paused as she was overcome with a memory.

"I had never once let my personal life interfere with the job. And we had just met," Phillipa said. "I wanted to prove to myself that I could never let my feelings dictate my role as an officer."

"Your own damn pride," Picard said. "I know a bit about that."

Phillipa threw her head back and laughed.

Then she stopped and looked at Jean-Luc.

"And maybe I was a little afraid of what came with having to admit the alternative," Phillipa said. "You were always a fight I was going to run from."

"I thought you liked our robust debates?" Picard asked.

Their idea of flirting had always come with a hefty dose of banter as they argued the finer points of Starfleet policy or interplanetary relations.

"That's the problem," Phillipa replied. "I liked them a little too much."

"So I'm right?" Jean-Luc smirked.

He couldn't resist taunting her, not when she'd dropped such an opportunity in his lap.

Without missing a beat, Phillipa was armed and ready with a response.

"I never thought I'd say this, but it's good to see you again," Phillipa retorted. "It brings a sense of order and stability to my universe to know you're still a pompous ass."

She knew just where to hit him.

"And a damn sexy man," Phillipa added.

She downed her drink and set the glass back on the table.

It was just in time too as she saw Admiral Nakamura's group approach Picard's table.

"You've got company," Phillipa said as she rose from the table. "And I was never one for politics."

"Liar," Picard teased.

"Captain Picard?" Nakamura said.

He extended his hand and Jean-Luc scrambled up from his seat.

"Admiral," Picard said, straightening his uniform.

The Admiral looked between the two Captains.

"Captain Louvois. Captain Picard. I didn't realise you were acquainted," Nakamura said.

"Oh yes. We're old friends," Phillipa said. "Excuse me."

She moved away from the table and then stopped and whipped around.

"Picard, call me," Phillipa ordered. "You can buy me dinner."

Jean-Luc's face flushed. He had always been attracted to and embarrassed by Phillipa's forward nature.

However, it seemed the Admiral was used to her direct personality and was unphased by the comment.

"Captain, allow me to introduce Commander Bruce Maddox," Admiral Nakamura said.

He motioned to the tall, lanky science officer on his left.

"Captain," Maddox smiled as he shook Jean-Luc's hand.

"Commander Maddox and I have much to discuss with you," Nakamura advised. "But first, I'd like to set up a chance for a tour of the Enterprise. I've never been on one of the new Galaxy-class ships."

"How's your schedule look in the morning?" Picard inquired.

Data and Tasha were waiting in the queue at the check in to enter Starbase 173.

While Data didn't perspire, Tasha could tell he was nervous.

"Data?" she prompted.

Data raised his eyebrows and shook his head casually.

"Why do you seem anxious?" Tasha asked.

Damn. Data thought.

She was far too perceptive.

Data could tell that Tasha would not be satisfied without some kind of explanation. He had calculated the number of steps between their present location and the skating rink. He'd been going through it over and over again in his mind to keep calm.

Data had also planned to ask Tasha precisely at 22:22.

It was when the moon's orbit would be in the best position with the Starbase – casting the biggest glow onto the rink and provided, in Data's humble opinion, the optimal lighting for such an occasion.

What all of that meant was that Data need only offer an explanation that would satisfy her curiosity for the next ninety minutes.

"Maybe we should just go back?" Tasha suggested. "We can come tomorrow."

Data's anxiety was starting to make Tasha nervous.

"We could read the next few chapters in Gorn Queen from the Cursed Nebula," Tasha offered.

Data took hold of her hand and smiled.

"I believe we are about to experience something very good," Data said as he brought her hand to his lips.

Tasha was temporarily taken aback by this answer.

She couldn't shake the feeling that Data was hinting at something.

Before Tasha could open her mouth to speak, she was cut off.

"Right this way," an Ensign said, waving them forward to the checkpoint.

-X-

As soon as Data and Tasha were through the checkpoint, they made a beeline for the skating rink. It took them right through the main promenade on the base.

They passed by the Glorious House of Tea recommended by Worf and past a toy and game store that Geordi had mentioned he was planning to visit during leave.

Apparently it had new packs for Age of Sail – including a new, rare card. It was a turn-based game that Data and Geordi were fond of. Data made a note of the store hours. He would try to slip away for a few minutes tomorrow for a brief shopping trip.

The Klingon restaurant Commander Riker had recommended was packed. Its upper level overlooked the promenade. It seemed to be a popular hotspot for nightlife on the base.

Suddenly, there was a small tug at Data's hand as Tasha stopped.

Data followed her line of sight up to the small, blinking sign in the corner.

"Go," Data said.

Tasha turned and looked back at Data. Of course, she didn't need his permission. But she had the sense he was planning something and didn't want to distract from that.

"Go," Data repeated, encouraging her.

Tasha's face broke out into a broad grin.

"Three minutes," Tasha said.

She gave him a quick peck on the cheek and then rushed inside.

Data glanced down the promenade back toward the toy and game store and then back toward the door Tasha had just gone through.

There would not be enough time to go, peruse through the card packs, make a purchase, and return in the allotted time. Even with his android speed, it wouldn't be adequate time and Data wanted to be sure he was there when Tasha emerged – both because of his plans and because he was looking forward to seeing the excitement in her face.

It was a strange sensation.

Data had spent countless hours reading romantic literature, absorbing theory on relationships and healthy dating, and he'd listened to nine-thousand four hundred and eighteen separate musical compositions on the subject of love.

Nothing had prepared him for the real thing.

And in all of that research, Data was still incapable of explaining why he felt the same compulsion to kiss Tasha whether she was wearing a come-hither stare or a smattering of hot sauce on the corner of her mouth.

"That's it, there," a voice said.

It was accompanied by the sound of numerous, loud footsteps approaching.

Data noticed a large contingent of Security officers was moving in his direction. Data turned and scanned the area behind him. He did not see any immediate threat.

Curious. Data thought.

A part of him wanted to ask what the situation was. However, Data knew it was best not to distract them from their work.

After all, they were no longer on the Enterprise and this was not his jurisdiction. Any interference on his part would be just that – interference.

Data stepped to the side as they approached in an effort to move out of the way. Several of the officers had their phasers drawn.

"Sir, if you could step forward," the lead officer said.

Data suddenly realised they had come for him.

Eager to comply, Data stepped forward.

"May I help you?" Data inquired.

There were twelve Security officers in total and seven of them had their phasers trained on Data. And they weren't carrying standard type two phasers.

No, these officers were armed with phaser rifles.

Two of the officers stepped forward and began scanning Data's body. One used a standard Security tricorder used to check for concealed weapons. The second officer was carrying a handheld engineering scanner used as a diagnostic tool.

It was capable of scanning Data's systems and something Geordi used frequently whenever Data suffered from a malfunction.

"What is this regarding?" Data asked.

"Can you identify what you are?" the lead officer asked.

What.

The word stung.

"I am Lieutenant Commander Data," Data answered. "From the Enterprise. I just passed the checkpoint. Surely your officers there can confirm my identity."

Data hissed as he felt something sharp penetrate through the bioplast on his neck. He could feel that it was embedded into his neural net.

Data had felt this once before in a life he had thought he'd left behind.

It was a device that had been a constant reminder of his captivity, a permanent mark that denoted he was property rather than a person.

On instinct, Data reached up to try and swat away the device.

He instantly hit with a sharp pain that temporarily destabilised the neural pathways in his body – rendering him incapable of voluntary movement.

As quickly as it came, it stopped.

"I do not want to use the device again," the lead officer announced.

Data froze.

"Who are you?" Data demanded. "Why are you doing this?"

"Commander Trelis. Head of Security for Starbase 173," he informed him. "For the safety of everyone on this base, we need to take you in for a series of tests."

Data tried to mask the rising sense of panic he felt.

This was all too familiar, all too unwelcome.

It.

What.

From his words, it was evident Trelis did not view Data as a person. That meant things did not bode well for Data.

"Excuse me, am I being taken into custody?" Data inquired. "On what grounds?"

Trelis ignored Data's question.

"We'll need to remove its arms," Trelis ordered.

Two of the officers stepped forward.

Data recoiled.

"That is unnecessary," Data said. "Now I am willing to answer any questions you may have, but I will not comply until I have been given an explanation for this."

Trelis had been warned the android would be uncooperative. It was the reason Maddox had given them the device.

"Take the arms," Trelis commanded.

Two officers moved in. They had been trained by Maddox precisely how to quickly disconnect Data's forearms at the joint under his elbow.

"No," Data said.

He pulled one arm toward him, clutching it against his chest. With the second, he had only intended to put some distance between himself and the two officers.

But he was overwhelmed with emotion. The mix of terror and uncertainty made it difficult for Data to control his strength output.

The two officers were flung backward with considerable force.

Data froze.

"I-I did not mean to," Data stammered.

He began to back away.

"I am sorry," he apologised.

"Its hostile!" Trelis shouted.

Maddox had warned them the android would attempt to flee.

He punched down on the handheld device and Data dropped to his knees. His body was overcome with a surge of fresh pain as the signal scrambled his neural net.

Data fell to the ground, involuntarily convulsing as the pain rippled through every fibre of his neural net.

The device was only active for a matter of seconds. But for an android, it was an eternity.

When the pain stopped, Data looked up at the bright lights overhead.

Data blinked as he tried to process what was happening.

All of this was supposed to be behind him.

He glanced over to the left to the door of the shop where Tasha had gone into a few moments earlier. She would be back any second.

Why was she not coming out? Data thought with alarm.

There was shouting, but Data couldn't hear it.

Every second felt like an infinity and there was an unwelcome sense of dread that seeped into Data. His plans for a romantic, moonlit proposal had devolved.

As the officers moved in and detached his arms, Data could feel his dreams slipping through his grasp.

He tried to call out, but Data found he couldn't speak.

One of the side effects of Maddox's 'pain button' was that it temporarily scrambled his neural pathways. His audio output was not functioning as it needed time to reboot.

He looked in the direction of the voices that were talking above. His optical receptors were having a difficult time interpreting the light and colour in the room.

There were figures, but they were out of focus.

Data's spatial recognition sensors identified a change in his centre of gravity as if he had been lifted from the ground.

Without his pathways fully functional, it was hard to tell if this was accurate.

But then Data was met with something he did recognise.

Even without his sensors restored, Data knew precisely where he was.

There were no sounds. No light could penetrate through the walls of this prison. He couldn't move, even if he was capable of it.

No, Data was back in place he had hoped to never experience again.

A place that was worse than any nightmare he could fathom.

A part of Data's mind didn't want to accept this could be real. But even in his damaged state, Data understood that denial was a natural stage and he needed to move past it in order to survive.

He had to accept that he was back in Bruce Maddox's box.

-X-

"They didn't have lime, so I got you half-sour," Tasha said. "And I got two of the mango-habanero if you want one."

She paused and there was a loud crunch as she took a bite of the enormous, spicy pickle in her hand.

"I'm going to stop back tomorrow. They've got jars of pickled plomleek, and I don't want them to freeze at the rink so-"

Tasha stopped halfway through her sentence and glanced around.

Data was gone.

She stepped out onto the promenade proper and looked up and down the corridor.

"Data?" she asked aloud.

The shop next door was a tailor. It didn't seem like the type of place Data would step into, but Tasha checked it just to be safe. Then she searched the aisles of the Bajoran religious store next to that.

It was getting late and most of the shops on the promenade were closing.

"Hey!" a familiar voice said.

A hand shot out through the open window of the Klingon restaurant and grabbed Tasha's shoulder.

Tasha stopped.

It was Will and Deanna.

"You alright?" Deanna asked.

She could tell Tasha was unnerved.

"Have you seen Data?" Tasha asked.

She couldn't fathom why he would go into the Klingon restaurant, but Data could be odd at times. It was one of the things Tasha had come to accept about his personality.

Behaviours that may have seemed unusual for humanoids were sometimes the norm for Data – including his insatiable curiosity.

"I thought you two were going skating?" Riker asked.

"I did too," Tasha responded.

Deanna was struck with an idea.

"Why don't I go check the ice rink and Will can help you look here?" Deanna offered.

Deanna thought perhaps Data had slipped away to make some sort of final preparations. While she didn't have a clue what he was planning, she had picked up enough to realise there was something special about tonight.

It had almost radiated off Data like an uncontrollable energy during the poker game.

"Sure," Tasha nodded absentmindedly as her eyes scanned the crowd for any sign of Data.

"Come on, T," Riker said.

He didn't bother with the nearby archway, instead opting to hop right over the railing.

-X-

When Deanna reached the ice rink she couldn't help but smile.

The rink was dotted with paper lanterns.

They almost looked like fireflies resting atop a glossy lake back on Betazed.

"Data?" Deanna called out.

There was no answer.

Though she wasn't sure what Data had planned, it appeared everything was in order.

That meant Deanna's theory about Data ducking out for final preparations didn't quite track.

"Looking for someone?" Guinan asked.

Deanna practically jumped at the sound of her voice.

"Guinan, you startled me," Deanna said.

She sniffed at the air.

"Chocolate?" Deanna asked.

She was like a bloodhound whenever it came to cocoa.

"Hot chocolate, buttered rum, whisky," Guinan shared.

She glanced down at the basket in her hands.

"I'm supposed to meet Data here to drop this off," Guinan explained.

"He's not here," Deanna said.

She paused.

"In fact, I think he's missing," Deanna shared.

-X-

Tasha swept into the Security Office with her usual cool demeanour. She knew that losing her temper wouldn't help Data.

"There was an incident on your promenade about thirty minutes ago," Tasha said. "What happened?"

The Ensign behind the desk looked up from his magazine and frowned.

"The incident on the promenade. What happened?" Tasha demanded.

"Look lady, I dunno what you're talking about," the Ensign shrugged.

"Where is the man you took into custody?" Tasha asked.

The Ensign simply blinked in response.

"Where is the man you took into custody?" Tasha repeated as she slammed her fist down on the surface of the desk.

The Ensign leapt up from the chair.

"Ma'am, I'm going to need you to take a step back," the Ensign warned.

"It's Lieutenant," Tasha said slowly. "And I'm the Chief Security and Tactical Officer on the Enterprise. One of our crew members was involved in an incident on your promenade. Where is he?"

During the search of the promenade, Tasha and Riker had discovered that a number of witnesses had seen an incident involving Security.

Details were skant.

From the sound of it, several Security teams had been involved. They had been carrying phaser rifles- but none had discharged.

Tasha was trying to swallow the rising sense of panic in her chest.

She had only been gone a few minutes. Tasha was struggling to understand how this could happen.

Clearly there must have been some misunderstanding.

Though Tasha couldn't see how Data would do anything warranting arrest.

"We haven't taken anyone into custody tonight," the Ensign advised. "See for yourself."

He tapped a button on the desk and opened the door to the Brig.

"Last person we picked up was an Orion scam artist. He's wanted on half a dozen planets," the Ensign explained.

True to his word, all of the cells were empty save for one Orion man at the end who was sitting on the edge of his cot.

"I don't understand," Tasha said.

"Maybe he's back on the Enterprise?" Riker suggested.

They hadn't checked there, and Data clearly wasn't in custody in the Brig.

"Come on," Riker said, guiding her toward the door.

He didn't understand how or why Data would have abandoned his plans with Tasha, but he was certain Data had to be waiting at home.

-X-

"Computer, where is Commander Data?" Tasha asked.

"Lieutenant Commander Data is not aboard the Enterprise," the Computer responded.

"That just means his communicator isn't here," Worf reminded her.

Tasha didn't want anyone to panic. Despite Riker's insistence that they notify the other senior officers, Tasha had insisted they only notify Worf. It was late, and she didn't want to go waking people up. The last thing they needed was a panic. It wouldn't help locate Data.

Miles and Keiko were on Starbase watching a squash game. Sonya and Geordi were down in his quarters with Reg Barclay and Wesley Crusher for an all-night Age of Sail bash.

There were already five of them looking for Data.

Deanna had stayed on Starbase and was continuing to search there for Data. Admiral Nakamura was off duty and the Night Watch crew at the Operations Centre hadn't been able to provide any relevant information.

"We should find the Captain," Beverly advised.

She had been brought into the search when Tasha had checked Sickbay on whim. Data really didn't have much reason to go to Sickbay – but she thought it couldn't hurt to check.

"Either way, we need to inform him," Beverly said.

Riker, Worf, Beverly, and Tasha set off to head back to Starbase 173.

With each step, Tasha was replaying an uncomfortable set of theories.

Q had a particular interest in them, and Data had something special planned for the weekend. It would be just like Q to swoop in and mess it all up.

Lore was still out there somewhere.

And Bruce Maddox was here.

Tasha wasn't sure which possibility was worse.

-X-

"I was little surprised at the decision to make such expansions at a base so close to the Neutral Zone," Picard admitted.

"You know we're getting good news on the other side," Nakamura replied. "In fact, Ambassador T'Pel thinks it's only a matter of time before we resume formal diplomatic relations with the Romulans."

The Admiral sat back and looked around at the lounge.

"This could very well be the setting for a new peace treaty in a few years," Nakamura said.

The doors to the lounge slid open and a number of Jean-Luc's officers stepped inside.

"This place usually isn't this busy," Maddox commented.

"Those are some of my officers," Jean-Luc realised.

"Seems like you're in high demand," Nakamura said as the group approached the table.

The sight of Maddox with Captain Picard only confirmed Tasha's suspicion that he was somehow involved.

"You did this," Tasha snarled.

Maddox stood and eyed Tasha carefully.

He seemed almost amused.

"We've met before," Maddox realised.

He snapped his fingers.

"The Command Conference," Maddox recalled.

Indeed they had met several months prior when he'd cornered Tasha at the bar. She had thought he was a lech even before learning that he was the same Bruce Maddox that had traumatised Data.

"Where is he?" Tasha demanded.

Maddox feigned ignorance.

Jean-Luc glanced over to his First Officer for an explanation.

"Data's missing, sir," Riker informed him.

"You did this," Tasha repeated.

"I assure you that-" Maddox began to say.

Tasha didn't wait for an answer. She popped Maddox square in the jaw. It was enough to drop him to the floor.

"Where is he?" Tasha insisted.

When Maddox didn't respond, Tasha grabbed the front of his uniform.

"Where is he?" she said, raising her voice.

"Security to the lounge," Nakamura ordered as he tapped his combadge.

"Where is he?" Tasha asked for a third time.

Worf could understand better than anyone her desire to let anger take over. But he also knew that it wouldn't help the situation. 

"Jean-Luc? What is going on? Who is this?" Nakamura questioned.

"My Security officer," Jean-Luc said in disbelief.

He blinked and tried to focus his attention.

"Tasha!" Jean-Luc ordered. "Tasha, release him."

But his orders were only met with silence.

"What did you do to him?" Tasha asked.

Maddox cringed as he felt his back impact the wall.

Worf knew he had to act. Security would be there any second and if they found Tasha beating up another officer, then it was likely she'd be stunned.

Worf reached around and pulled Tasha back from Maddox. She protested, grabbing for Maddox as Worf pulled her back.

In a flash, she had gone from a threat to looking like nothing more than a small, squirming child as she kicked in an attempt to free herself.

"You cannot help him if you wind up in the Brig," Worf warned in a low voice against Tasha's ear.

It was just in time too.

Security rushed in with their phasers drawn. It was rare for the Admiral to call for Security and the team was prepared for anything.

Jean-Luc extended his hand to help Maddox up.

He stood and dusted his uniform off in an attempt to regain some of his composure.

"Are you alright?" he asked.

Maddox moved his mouth around, feeling along the line of his jaw as he surveyed the damage. She really packed a punch. It would swell, but nothing a few minutes with an Ectorinsaid treatment device couldn't fix.

Maddox chuckled softly as he locked eyes with Tasha.

"She's playful," he said.

His tone was light-hearted, but it belied the icy undertone intended.

Admiral Walsh had warned Maddox that the Enterprise's Security Chief would be more than a handful.

In fact, he'd had a share of choice words about her – though he had left out her association with Data.

Walsh knew that such information would only harm his retribution efforts. He didn't want to give away anything that might hint to his ulterior motives.

"Sir?" one of the Security Officers asked the Admiral.

"Take her into custody," Admiral Nakamura ordered.

Worf set Tasha down.

"Sir," she said, looking at Jean-Luc. "He's responsible. You have to find out what he did-"

"I think your Lieutenant has had a snootful," Maddox said.

Tasha fumed.

"I'm not intoxicated," Tasha fumed.

"Hey, you were that chick down in my office," the Ensign from the Security Office realised.

"Take her into custody," Nakamura ordered.

Admiral Walsh had also warned the Admiral that Lieutenant Yar might present a problem. At the Admiral & Maddox's insistence, Admiral Nakamura had been advised that it would be necessary to neutralise Data and take him into custody by surprise.

According to Maddox, this was necessary for several reasons.

He'd sold the Admiral a line that they needed to ensure they were dealing with Data and not Lore. Maddox truly had no way to distinguish the two. From all accounts, they were identical.

However, the Admiral didn't know that.

Maddox also didn't want there to be any risk of Data getting away.

Admiral Nakamura had wanted to give the Enterprise a head's up about what was coming. But Admiral Walsh and Commander Maddox had insisted that it was vital they not inform Picard or Lieutenant Yar prior to their arrival.

Worf whispered another warning in Tasha's ear before she was led away by Security.

Jean-Luc was flabbergasted.

"Does one of you want to tell me what the hell is going on?" Jean-Luc asked.

They all began speaking simultaneously.

"One at a time!" Picard barked.

"It's Data, sir. He's missing," Beverly replied.

"There was some kind of incident. Witnesses said he was taken into custody," Riker added.

"But he's not in the Brig," Worf added.

Jean-Luc turned to the Admiral for an explanation.

"I'd like my Second Officer released. I assure you whatever he's done-" Picard began to say.

He stopped as the Admiral's hand went up.

"The android has not been arrested," Nakamura assured him.

Jean-Luc breathed a sigh of relief.

"After word went out about your encounter with the android Lore, we wanted to be sure that the android that came on base was, in fact, Data," Nakamura explained.

It was certainly unusual, but Jean-Luc could understand the need for caution.

"Well then, I'm sure Mr Data has satisfied your search. Where is he?" Picard asked.

"Data is safe," Maddox said.

It was obvious to everyone that he was avoiding the question.

"Where?" Picard pressed.

"We're running a series of tests to ensure he's not a security threat," Nakamura shared.

Jean-Luc was aghast.

But he pushed aside his knee-jerk reaction and reminded himself that not everyone saw Data in the same light as his fellow Enterprise crew.

They were around Data all the time. They worked with him. They knew who he was. But to an outsider, an android may seem like a threat.

The unknown was always terrifying.

"I can assure you my Second Officer is hardly a threat," Picard said with a smile. "I'll personally escort him back to Enterprise."

Nakamura shook his head.

"I'm sorry, Picard. I can't allow that," Nakamura said.

The atmosphere immediately shifted.

"Where is Data?" Picard demanded.

"In our custody," Maddox said.

"I thought he wasn't under arrest?" Picard asked.

"He's not," Nakamura answered. "He's been transferred."

-X-

"I'd like to see Commander Data," Picard requested.

"I'm afraid that's not possible," Maddox said.

There was something about this man that rubbed Picard the wrong way. He was far too comfortable, like he relished being in control of the situation.

"Why?" Picard asked.

"Commander Maddox here is doing some work on the android," Nakamura said.

It was a rather vague explanation.

Too vague for Picard's liking.

"Why?" Picard repeated.

The situation of this spontaneous transfer didn't sit right with him. The fact that his questions were met with elusive answers only reaffirmed his concern.

"Do you even see what Data is? What it represents?" Maddox asked.

Picard didn't like the sound of that.

"The potential to unlock the secrets of positronic neural net design," Maddox went on.

"Starfleet Security was concerned that if the android on the Enterprise was, in fact, Lore that it would try to flee," Nakamura shared. "We had no choice but to take it into custody before notifying you of the transfer. These orders came from the top level."

Nakamura handed Picard a tablet that displayed the transfer orders.

They had been signed by the head of Starfleet Security himself, Admiral Henry.

Jean-Luc couldn't help but feel slighted. He hadn't even been consulted.

"Has Mr Data agreed to this transfer?" Picard asked.

"Data was previously under my care for several years following his activation," Maddox said. "We learned a great deal."

Once again, Maddox had responded – but it wasn't an answer to the Captain's question.

"I would like to speak with Commander Data," Picard said, repeating his previous request. "Now."

Nakamura turned to Maddox.

He didn't see any reason why it was necessary to prevent them from speaking.

Maddox laughed uncomfortably.

"We haven't completed our initial tests," Maddox said.

"I thought you said Data was safe?" Picard asked.

"He is," Maddox replied, annoyed.

"So you have then concluded that it is Data and not Lore," Picard declared, trapping Maddox in his own words.

Maddox fell silent.

"Take me to Commander Data," Picard said.

"Why don't we do this in the morning?" Maddox suggested.

He hadn't even gotten a chance to enjoy his captive yet. He was savouring the moment. Maddox had hoped to let Data stew for a few hours in the box before visiting him.

But Jean-Luc wasn't taking no for an answer.

He knew Data had special plans for shore leave. Tasha's reaction also indicated that Data's transfer had been more of an abduction.

Maddox now fully understood why Admiral Walsh had cautioned him against tipping off Picard.

He tapped his combadge.

"Have Data sent to the checkpoint on the Promenade level," Maddox ordered.

-X-

Jean-Luc was waiting there with the Admiral and Maddox when Data emerged from the turbolift with an escort of several Security officers.

"How have you been, Data?" Maddox asked.

"My condition does not alter with the passage of time," Data responded in an unusually cold manner.

"Data? Are you alright?" Picard asked.

Data hesitated to answer.

He was not alright.

He wasn't even close to being alright.

"I would like to return to the Enterprise now," Data said.

"You're not returning to the Enterprise," Maddox said.

It was clear from Data's reaction that he had not been informed of the transfer.

"You don't know," Jean-Luc realised aloud.

Data cocked his head to the side.

"Know what, sir?" Data asked.

He had been keenly aware that Tasha was not present. That struck Data as odd, and he was concerned something may have happened to her.

"What have you been doing the last two hours?" Picard demanded.

His question was directed at Maddox and not Data.

"When were you planning to tell him? Were you even going to give him a chance to settle his affairs? Pack his personal belongings?" Picard scoffed.

Pack? Data thought with alarm.

Admiral Nakamura appeared surprised.

"I didn't realise," Nakamura admitted.

The Admiral was not an unreasonable man – but he had been conned by Maddox and Admiral Walsh.

"I'd be happy to permit the android one last night to wrap up his things," Nakamura said.

"Last night?" Data asked.

'Last' implied a sense of finality. Hell, it didn't so much imply as it was a clear indicator of finality.

Jean-Luc could see Data was surprised.

"Apparently, you've been transferred," Picard said.

The Captain's voice was terse. It was clear that he was displeased with this development.

"What exactly does this work entail?" Picard asked.

He figured they were past the point of pleasantries and wanted to get directly to the point.

Maddox could appreciate that.

And if he couldn't torment Data directly tonight, he could make his last night miserable all the same.

"I am going to disassemble Data," Maddox announced.

-X-

Data and Captain Picard returned to the Enterprise in silence.

Captain Picard had requested a meeting with Admiral Nakamura and Commander Maddox in the morning. He wanted to discuss this transfer and find out the specifics of what it meant.

He couldn't shake the feeling there was something more to the story between this Commander Maddox and Data.

"Data, how are you Mr Maddox acquainted?" Picard inquired. "He mentioned that you were under his care previously."

Care.

The word stung.

"Data?" Picard pressed.

"Commander Maddox was on the review panel for my admission interview to Starfleet Academy," Data shared. "And was the sole member of the committee to oppose my entrance on the grounds that I was not a sentient being."

Data stopped and gripped Captain Picard's arm.

"Data? What is it?" Picard asked, concerned.

"I have done everything Starfleet has ever asked of me," Data said. "But I cannot accept this transfer."

There was an unmistakable fear in Data's expression.

"Is there something else going on here? Something that happened between you and Commander Maddox?"

Data hesitated.

There was a part of him that desperately wanted to tell Captain Picard, to spill his innermost fears about Maddox and the cruelty with which he had been treated.

But Data was reluctant.

Victims of abuse already faced a struggle to be believed. It was only amplified with Data.

It was difficult for people to realise that he could feel pain and fear. It wasn't exactly the same as humans - but it was real, nonetheless.

Data had a high threshold for pain. He could tolerate more extreme conditions and temperatures. His construction and duranium alloy skeletal system made him impervious to many types of damage.

But just because Data could, didn't mean he should have to endure such treatment.

The first few years of his life spent in Maddox's custody had traumatised Data.

He'd been subjected to physical, emotional, and sexual abuse all in the name of 'research.' Worst of all, Data got the impression that Maddox enjoyed it.

He kept Data locked in a box whenever he wasn't being used. He threatened to disassemble Data permanently, piece-by-piece if he misbehaved.

There were times he would detach Data's limbs and leave him as nothing more than sentient cranium, locked away with nothing but his mind and the dark.

It had taken Data years to recognise his own value as a person. He still struggled to assert himself at times and it all stemmed from his abuse at the hands of Bruce Maddox.

When Data didn't immediately answer, Jean-Luc presumed his silence was something else.

"You know I have my own fear of doctors," Picard shared.

He had hoped to cheer Data up.

"And I know it is irrational. But the fear is still there," Picard went on. "I imagine this must be much the same for you."

"I do not like being worked on," Data confessed.

It was true. It was a trauma response that had stemmed from a time when Maddox would poke and prod, shock, and disassemble all without Data's consent.

This experience was a large part of why Data only trusted Geordi when it came to repairs.

"Data, I know the thought of reassignment is difficult-" Picard began.

"I cannot be transferred," Data insisted.

Jean-Luc sighed.

"Data, I sympathise with your position," Jean-Luc said as rested his hand on Data's shoulder. "But there is no guarantee that you and Lieutenant Yar will always be assigned to the same posting."

Most Starfleet officers were stationed apart from one another or away from their families. Even with the new regulations that permitted family quarters, it was rare for couples to share an assignment. People often had to choose between staying together or their career.

It wasn't uncommon for someone to choose an assignment outside of one's designated field just to stay with their family.

"Sir, where is Lieutenant Yar?" Data asked.

-X-

Tasha looked up as the security forcefield protecting her cell dropped.

It had been hours since she'd lost her temper in the lounge on Starbase 173.

In front of an Admiral no less. A bitter voice reminded her.

Tasha inhaled sharply in anticipation. It had to be Captain Picard.

Or Data. She hoped.

Tasha's face fell as Bruce Maddox stepped into view.

"I really like what you've done with the place," Maddox chuckled as he looked around.

Tasha remained silent.

"You know they'll let you out of here if I agree to drop the charges," Maddox said.

Tasha didn't say a word in response. The very last thing she wanted to accept was help from the likes of Bruce Maddox.

"Where's Data?" Tasha asked.

"Why do you care so much about the android?" Maddox inquired in response.

Tasha froze.

A part of her wanted to lunge at Maddox. But she knew first-hand just dangerous information was to an abuser. If Maddox were to learn of their relationship, he could use it against Data. And Tasha wasn't going to give him any advantage.

"Why don't you agree to have a drink with me, and I'll drop the charges against you?" Maddox offered.

Tasha crossed her arms and glared at Maddox.

Maddox chuckled softly.

"I like you," he said, grinning. "You've got spunk."

"Where is Data?" Tasha asked.

"On the Enterprise," Maddox said.

Technically it wasn't a lie. Maddox could see she was relieved by the news.

"So are you more of a white wine person or do you prefer a good pint?" Maddox teased. "I'm a whisky man myself."

There was no way in hell Tasha was having a whisky with Maddox.

"What did you do to Data?" Tasha demanded.

"I haven't done anything to him," Maddox replied.

Yet. Maddox thought.

"Last chance, dearie," Maddox said.

Tasha turned her head away from Maddox but did not respond verbally. He wasn't worth her time.

Maddox felt like he'd been slapped. He was used to getting his way. In fact, the only time Maddox had been confronted with such obstinance had been Data.

"You'd really rather sit in here all night?" Maddox scoffed.

"If it means staying away from you? Yes," Tasha replied.

Inside, Maddox was boiling. But he played it off.

"I'm going to get that drink, Miss Yar," Maddox said.

He stepped outside, past the barrier of the forcefield and motioned for the guard to re-engage it.

"Sweet dreams," he waved.

-X-

Arrested.

Data glanced around the room. His quarters felt so empty without Tasha's presence.

"I spoke to Admiral Nakamura and had the items we beamed over earlier returned," Picard advised.

It was their luggage. Data had obtained permission from Captain Picard to beam it directly over to the quarters Data had secured on base. He wanted to have it ready so he could take Tasha there after they finished at the ice rink.

"I also requested they release Lieutenant Yar," Picard said. "I advised that we would ensure she turned up for her arraignment in the morning. But it was no dice."

He paused.

"I'm sorry, Data," Picard said softly.

Data's hand hovered over the ring box in the pocket close to his chest.

"Data?" Picard pressed.

"About our scheduled leave?" Data inquired without turning around.

They were supposed to be on seventy-two hours of leave. If he was to be forcibly transferred back to Maddox's captivity, at least leave would give him a chance to say goodbye.

Jean-Luc had dreaded the question.

"It would seem Starfleet feels Commander Maddox's research is too important to wait," Picard said. "This is your last night aboard the Enterprise."

Data's last night aboard the Enterprise.

And they would have to spend it apart.

"The transfer will be finalised tomorrow at 18:00 hours," Picard said. "I convinced Admiral Nakamura that it was only fair to give you time to wrap up your affairs here."

Data closed his eyes as he tried to suppress the anger he felt.

An additional eighteen hours was hardly adequate for Data to settle his business and say goodbye. He knew once Maddox had him that there would be no going back.

No letters.

No subspace communications.

He would never be permitted to visit or meet up with his friends.

"Data, I know this isn't what you want," Picard said. "For what it's worth. I'm sorry. I wish there was more I could do – anything I could do to stop this."

Data turned and met Captain Picard's eyes.

"Thank you, sir," Data said.

He extended his hand to the Captain.

"Thank you for everything you have done for me during our time together," Data said.

There was an unusual sense of finality in his statement, something that hinted Data felt this was more than just a goodbye.

Jean-Luc left Data alone for the night. It was getting late, and he had an early morning meeting with the Admiral.

Data sat down at his workstation and took a series of slow, artificial breaths.

He pulled the ring box out of his pocket and set it down on the surface of the desk.

How? Data thought.

He had no idea how he would break the news to Tasha. She would be devastated, and Data would be the reason for it.

The thing Data had feared most was going to happen.

Data felt wretched. He had convinced Tasha to trust him, to place her faith in him and their relationship. Everyone she had ever loved had left her – one way or another.

And now Data was going to leave her too.

Data opened the ring box and studied the object as he tried to work out what to say.

-X-

The door to Data's quarters slid open.

He looked up as Tasha stepped in from around the corner.

She stopped and dropped her head to hide the fact her lip was quivering.

"I t-th-thought I lost you," Tasha sniffled.

"I am here," Data said.

It was, for the moment, the truth.

Tasha stepped forward and sat down on his lap.

"When I saw Maddox I assumed the worst," Tasha said.

They rested their foreheads against one another.

"Are you alright?" Tasha asked.

"I am," Data stopped himself.

He had almost said 'functioning within normal parameters.'

"I am better now that you are here," Data said in earnest.

Tasha gave his hands a gentle squeeze and then stopped. She sat back, looking concerned.

"I'm sorry. Did that hurt you?" she asked.

"No," Data assured her.

He had damaged the bioplast on his hands during his recent away mission with Geordi. The frigid temperatures had weakened the bioplast. During a climb to try and facilitate rescue, Data had stripped away some of the bioplast on his artificial knuckles and the back of his hands.

It would be several more days before the process to synthesise additional bioplast would be complete.

Until then, the exposed circuitry and duranium was a constant reminder of his mechanical substructure.

It frightened most of the crew – even if they didn't want to admit it.

But Tasha wasn't reacting because she was frightened by the sight of him. Rather, she was concerned he was injured and did not want to hurt him further.

"You are sure?" Tasha pressed.

"I am certain," Data assured her. "The damage is superficial."

"Just a flesh wound," Tasha smiled.

She leaned forward and nuzzled against his shoulder.

"I think we should just stay on the Enterprise for the rest of leave," Tasha suggested.

It was too risky to go back onto Starbase 173. Tasha didn't want to risk Maddox getting a chance at Data.

"He can't touch you now," Tasha said. "He can't touch you here."

"No, he cannot touch me here," Data agreed.

Not until 18:00 hours.

-X-

"So?" Geordi asked.

Data blinked in confusion.

"So?" Geordi pressed.

"So what?" Data asked.

"So what happened? What did she say?" Geordi pressed.

"I did not ask," Data confessed.

Geordi set down his sonic driver and gave Data a hard look.

"Why?" Geordi asked, putting his hands on his hips.

Geordi wasn't aware of the events that had transpired the night before.

"Geordi, there was an incident last night," Data began to explain. "I was detained."

"Don't tell me the ice rink fell through?" Geordi groaned. "Data, I'm sure we can figure something out here today for-"

"Geordi, please. It is not the ice rink," Data said.

"The ring?" Geordi asked nervously.

Data shook his head.

"No, Geordi. I was detained," Data said. "And Tasha was arrested."

"Arrested?" Geordi asked, shocked.

"Geordi, I did not ask her," Data said.

"But you're going to. Today, right?" Geordi asked.

Geordi's throat grew tight when Data did not answer.

"Right, Data?" Geordi pressed.

"No, Geordi," Data said.

He dropped his eyes to the table.

"I will not ask her," Data went on.

He had sat at his workstation all night trying to think of the right words and had come up empty-handed.

Nothing was sufficient.

In an effort to give himself time, Data had agreed to spend the morning with Geordi in the lab. They were technically on leave. It was a distraction, a way to pass the time so that Data didn't have to think about the inevitable deadline that was approaching.

"Geordi, I shared with you what happened before. How Tasha's fiancé was killed. I will not ask her, because it will be making a promise that I am incapable of fulfilling," Data said.

Geordi's shoulders slumped.

"So this new assignment, it's some kind of long-term posting?" Geordi asked.

"I believe that would be an accurate description," Data replied.

Starfleet had all sorts of long-term assignments on the edge of the known universe. There were any number of ships heading out the far reaches of the Beta Quadrant, well past Federation space. Some of these vessels were on decade-long missions as they charted the unknown.

"Long distance relationships happen. My parents did it for years," Geordi said.

He wanted to offer Data hope.

"I am sure that wherever you're going, whatever you're doing, that won't change how Tasha feels about you," Geordi assured him.

He gripped Data's shoulder and gave it a reassuring squeeze.

"I'm sure with all the communications options that the two of you will find a way to work something out," Geordi said.

A look of pain crossed Data's face.

"Not where I am going," Data said.

Geordi frowned as the weight of this information sank in.

"That means us too," Geordi said.

He exhaled deeply and scratched the back of his neck, shaking his head as tried to process that he was really going to lose his best friend.

"You have been a true friend Geordi," Data said.

Geordi's face grew warm. His chest felt tight, and his eyes began to water.

"Data, buddy," Geordi said.

He was struggling to find a way to express himself.

"Come on, we're going to stay in touch," Geordi said.

"I fear that will not be possible," Data said.

He took a shaky, artificial breath as he attempted to slow his thoughts from spiralling. There would be no more poker games, no holodeck adventures, and he would never see Geordi live to fulfil his dreams.

"Geordi, I must ask you to do one more thing for me. As a friend," Data requested.

-X-

Down in the canteen, Tasha and Worf were just coming back from a morning workout on the holodeck. Tasha had needed to burn off some steam from the night before and Worf was happy to oblige.

She had asked Data if he wanted to go first.

But Data had seemed almost eager to spend the morning apart.

Worf eyed Tasha's plate and gave her a knowing look.

"Do you wish to talk about it?" Worf asked.

Tasha shrugged as she shovelled another forkful of berries into her mouth.

"How are you feeling about it?" Worf asked.

"How do you think?" Tasha grumbled.

Worf knew what reassignment could do to a relationship. His own relationship with K'Ehleyr had ended when she had accepted a new posting.

It was a strain – even on the strongest of relationships.

"How is Data taking it?" Worf asked.

Tasha picked mindlessly at her plate.

"I feel bad for ruining his evening," Tasha confessed. "You were right. I shouldn't have lost my temper."

Worf had warned her many times to keep her cool.

Usually Tasha did.

"But they dropped the charges this morning," Tasha informed him.

Shortly after 08:00 hours, she had been released. Apparently, Maddox had decided to drop the charges.

"Then you did not get to go ice skating last night?" Worf asked, surprised.

Data had mentioned it was important and Worf got the impression he had something special planned.

"Nope, I had a lovely view of my cell wall all night," Tasha said. "Got back this morning."

"And Data?" Worf questioned.

Tasha stabbed a particularly juicy berry and stared at it.

"I think he's a little disappointed in me," Tasha sighed. "He wanted to spend the morning with Geordi."

She couldn't blame him. Her actions had been just the kind of thing Data had always cautioned against – and it had cost them their evening on the ice.

"It's fine though," Tasha shrugged. "We can just go some other time on the holodeck."

Worf stopped eating.

Some other time.

Worf realised that Tasha was not aware of the transfer.

"What?" Tasha asked, sensing his discomfort.

But Worf didn't need to think of an excuse.

Their communicators pinged with an incoming message from Captain Picard. He wanted to see all the senior officers in the Observation Lounge in thirty minutes.

-X-

When Data arrived following the Captain's summons he stopped dead in his tracks in the doorway.

"Whoa," Geordi said as he ran into Data.

"Sorry," Data said as he stepped aside.

"Please, come in. Have a seat," Picard said as he motioned to the table.

There was a tray of glasses on the edge of the table and two bottles of a rare Chateau Picard. Beverly was pouring glasses.

While Data sometimes missed social cues and the nuances of human tradition went over his head, Data had a sinking feeling this was a going away party in his honour.

"Data," Deanna said.

She had a sympathetic smile as she handed him a glass.

Tasha stepped in the door a moment later. She was fresh from the shower and her face was still a bit red from the water. She'd rushed to wash and change out of her workout clothes after the Captain's announcement.

"Sorry I'm late," Tasha said as she stepped inside.

"Just in time," Picard assured her.

He was treading carefully – though she seemed to be in high spirits.

"I wanted to offer my sincere gratitude and express my regret that we are losing a member of our crew," Picard began. "You have been a true friend. And in our time together, you have taught us all so much."

Jean-Luc paused and scanned the faces around the table.

"We have a fine crew," Picard went on. "But of all of us, you are the finest. You see things in a way that is unclouded by prejudice. On many occasions, you have been our conscience."

The Captain raised his glass.

"And I am proud to call you my friend," Jean-Luc said with a fond smile.

Everyone followed suit and raised their glasses.

"Best of luck to you on your transfer, Mr Data," Picard said. "We will miss you."

"To Data!" Riker said.

"Here, here," Miles nodded.

They all joined the toast before taking a sip from their respective glasses.

Except Tasha.

From across the table, Data met Tasha's eyes. He was wearing a look of complete shame.

Tasha knew that this moment was about Data. She understood that he was devastated.

But she couldn't help feeling utterly betrayed.

Silently she was furious.

Most of the officers had learned of the transfer last night during the incident in the lounge. But that news had come after Tasha's arrest.

And Geordi had found out earlier from Data himself.

But Tasha had been left in the dark.

It wasn't that Data intended to hurt her. In fact, he had been so worried about hurting her that his fear had left him stuck.

Silently, he pleaded with Tasha to understand.

The wordless exchange between the two did not go unnoticed by Captain Picard.

"Tasha?" Jean-Luc asked.

She squared her shoulders and flashed a big smile.

"To Data," Tasha said. "I think I speak for all of us when I say that we'll miss your imagination, kindness-"

Tasha swallowed hard.

"And your constant, if sometimes brutal honesty," Tasha concluded.

Tasha regretted the words as soon as they left her mouth.

Her statement had cut into Data twice – both for failing to tell her and for the cruelly public way she had learned of the transfer.

"Excuse me," Tasha said.

Tasha set her glass down on the table and quickly exited the room.

"Thank you," Data nodded to his friends. "Excuse me."

He rushed out after Tasha.

"She didn't know," Deanna announced.

-X-

Data found Tasha in her quarters.

She was sitting alone in the windowsill above her sofa.

Tasha didn't move or look when the door slid open. She just kept staring out the window.

"Tasha?" Data asked.

"Did you leave something here?" Tasha asked. "I didn't expect you to come check. Thought you'd just slip away."

She sniffled and turned to look back at him.

"I'm sorry. That was rotten," Tasha said softly.

Her tone had immediately changed from bitter to apologetic.

Data looked down at the floor. He felt ashamed.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Tasha asked.

Data stepped over and sat down on the sofa. He steadied his nerves and tried to summon the courage to say what needed to be spoken.

But when he turned and looked up to meet Tasha's eyes, he froze.

Moonlight.

They were both there together under the moonlight as it streamed in through the window as they passed through the orbit of one of the three moons.

It was almost like the universe was giving him a chance to make things right before the transfer.

He had the ring in his pocket.

"Data?" Tasha pressed.

She reached down to cup his face.

"I have been transferred," Data said.

Tasha nodded.

"So I've heard," she replied.

Data reached up to cover her hand with his own. He closed his eyes and allowed himself a moment to relish in the feel of it.

She had always seen him as a person deserving of gentleness.

Tasha had always seen him.

Data.

A person, not an android or a tool.

"Last night I was taken into custody," Data shared. "And Captain Picard was able to get me returned to the ship."

Data opened his eyes.

"But I fear it is only temporary," Data continued.

Tasha's brow furrowed.

"What do you mean?" Tasha asked.

"I have new orders. I must report back to Starbase 173," Data said.

"Maddox," Tasha breathed.

Data nodded slowly.

"He put me in the box again," Data whispered.

He was terrified.

Tasha came down out of the windowsill and practically tackled Data onto the sofa. She wrapped her arms around him and buried her head against his chest.

"This isn't right," Tasha declared.

"Starfleet feels that it is necessary," Data countered. "The orders came from Starfleet Security. They were signed by Admiral Henry."

"But this is wrong, Data. This is so wrong," Tasha said.

She clutched his uniform tightly, as if to will away the thought of separation.

Data reached up to hold the back of her head. He inhaled deeply. Data knew this wasn't the time or place to focus on such things. But he wanted to make a memory so that when he was alone in the dark he could think back to what this felt like – the warmth of her body, the soft scent of lavender in her hair, the steady rhythm of her heartbeat.

"I had no wish to hurt you," Data confessed. "I sat up all night trying to find the words."

Tasha pushed herself up and brushed away the tears.

"Then we will stay up all night and figure out a way out of this. There has to be a way to appeal it or make them see reason," Tasha said in determination. "I know it's probably not the last night together you envision, but we'll figure this out."

Data didn't say anything.

Tasha's face fell.

"18:00 hours," Data said solemnly.

"What?" Tasha asked.

She didn't understand.

"I have to report to Starbase 173 at 18:00 hours," Data explained. "We will not have tonight. We have four hours and twenty-one minutes."

"Oh," Tasha said.

She sat back and looked away to cover the fresh batch of tears that threatened to start. The last shred of resolve that she'd been clinging to was shattered.

"I am truly sorry it must be like this," Data said.

"Why does it have to be?" Tasha asked.

"Maddox will likely withhold my messages and deny me the ability to send any of my own," Data said.

He reached out to tuck an errant strand of hair behind Tasha's ear.

"Promise me that you will not let this destroy your faith," Data requested. "Promise me that you will allow yourself to find gentleness, and joy, and love with someone."

Data turned his attention out to the passing moon.

"And promise me that from time to time you will look out at the moon and think of me," Data added.

Tasha was horrified.

Before she could protest, Data captured her lips in a kiss.

When they pulled apart, Data cupped her face.

"I cannot bear to see you cry," Data said as he thumbed away a tear. "Not when you are so lovely."

Tasha shook her head.

"No," she said.

She sat back and took hold of Data's hands, pulling them into her lap.

"No," Tasha repeated. "It can't be like this."

She furrowed her brow as she looked to the left, studying nothing but with a look of deep concentration.

Suddenly, she turned back to Data.

"Why are you resigned to accept this?" Tasha asked.

Data didn't understand.

"If anyone else was being transferred like this there would be questions. There would be appeals," Tasha insisted. "Starfleet cannot force anyone to undergo unwanted medical procedures or testing."

It was one of their primary standing orders. Since it's conception, Starfleet had outlawed involuntary testing. No one could be ordered into a dangerous test or procedure without proper consent.

"That is not a luxury I have," Data said.

What was left unsaid was the big 'h' word.

Human.

"But this isn't a transfer. If anyone else were sent back to their abuser-" Tasha argued.

"Maddox was never found responsible for my abuse," Data reminded her. "Starfleet felt his methods were extreme. But they did not believe it was abuse."

When Data had been freed from Maddox, Starfleet had conducted a thorough investigation of the situation. While the panel had been shocked by Maddox's work, they wouldn't go as far to declare it abuse.

They felt that an android wasn't capable of experiencing trauma – an opinion that was formulated largely based on the research Maddox had conducted.

It was research that completely ignored the possibility that Data could feel.

Maddox had always maintained that Data could not experience emotion, have desires, or feel pain.

"We have to fight this," Tasha urged.

Data looked uncertain.

He was afraid of confronting Maddox. Maddox held so much power and had clearly prepared for this situation. Bringing Data back into custody under the guise of a transfer was a clever move.

Maddox had manipulated the entire situation with the skill of a Romulan.

"I know you're frightened. And you have every right to be," Tasha said. "But I'll be right beside you. You won't have to do this alone like before."

-X-

Jean-Luc was sitting behind the desk in his Ready Room when the door chimed.

"Come," Picard called out.

Data poked his head in the door.

Of course. Jean-Luc thought.

It was nearly 18:00 hours.

"Data," Jean-Luc began.

But words failed him.

He didn't know where to begin or how to properly say goodbye.

"Do you have a minute, sir?" Data asked.

"Of course," Picard nodded.

He put his tablet down on the surface of the desk and sat forward in his chair to listen.

"We have a problem, sir," Data said.

Jean-Luc sighed.

"Data, your service to this ship has been exemplary. I don't want to lose you. I know that this will place a strain on your relationship," Jean-Luc said.

"Sir, I will not submit to this procedure," Data said defiantly.

His tone was polite, but firm.

"Data, I understand your objections. But we have to consider Starfleet's interest here. If Commander Maddox is correct, there is a possibility that many more beings like yourself could be constructed," Picard said.

He had to admit that the prospect of more androids like Data offered a unique opportunity.

"You are such a remarkable officer," Picard went on. "Data, just think what another android like you could offer? Or ten of you?"

Data straightened his posture.

"I will not do it, sir. And I refuse to accept this transfer," Data declared.

"Data, I wish I had the power to stop this. But I can't," Jean-Luc said as gestured with his hands. "You have the ability to help Starfleet."

Data expression changed.

Tasha had prepared him that this would likely be one of the tactics used to convince Data to go along with the scheme. She had urged him to hold steadfast against Starfleet trying to sell this as 'duty.'

"Sir, Lieutenant La Forge's eyes are far superior to human biological eyes, true?" Data inquired.

Jean-Luc nodded in agreement.

Geordi's VISOR was an invaluable resource capable of seeing different spectrums, detecting threats, and identifying materials. It had saved lives in Engineering and on away missions countless times.

"Then why are not all human officers required to have their eyes replaced with cybernetic implants?" Data asked.

Jean-Luc fell silent.

He sat back in his seat and exhaled slowly.

It was a hell of a conundrum.

"I see," Data said. "It is precisely because I am not human that I am denied the same rights as a humanoid officer."

Data dropped his gaze to the carpet.

At the very least he could tell Tasha that he tried and leave with a clean conscience.

"Data, is there more to the history between you and Maddox?" Picard asked.

It was the third time he had pressed the issue.

Jean-Luc couldn't shake the feeling that Data seemed terrified at the prospect of being transferred under Maddox's command.

"Data, where did they take you last night?" Picard questioned.

Jean-Luc had found it strange that Maddox had insisted on bringing Data to him. It was like he had something to hide.

"A crate," Data answered honestly.

"You weren't given quarters?" Picard inquired.

Data shook his head.

"Were you told of the transfer?" Picard asked.

"No, sir," Data replied.

He blinked a few times as he weighed how much information would be pertinent to share.

"I am not being transferred," Data said. "I am going to be a prisoner."

The timepiece Jean-Luc kept on his wall signalled that it was 18:00 hours.

Data looked to Captain Picard, wordlessly pleading for another option.

"That will be all, Mr Data," Picard said.

Data turned to go.

"Data," Picard said quickly.

Data stopped just shy of the door.

"Don't leave the ship," Picard ordered.

Data turned and eyed the Captain, trying to read his train of thought.

"Do not report to Starbase," Picard said. "Not until we have assurances that your basic rights will be recognised."

"Thank you, sir," Data responded.

With a short nod, he left.

Jean-Luc pulled up his tablet and opened a communications channel to Admiral Nakamura.

"Jean-Luc?" the Admiral said, greeting him as he came on screen. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"Data's quarters," Jean-Luc said.

The Admiral was confused.

"I'm sorry, what?" he asked.

"Data's quarters. Lieutenant Commander Data. Where are his quarters on base? What was prepared for him?" Picard inquired, clarifying his question.

The Admiral was surprised by this.

"Commander Maddox has assured me the android doesn't require quarters. It will be stored in the lab," Nakamura answered.

It.

Stored.

The whole concept was revolting. And Jean-Luc felt twice as angry given that he had temporarily bought into it.

"Admiral, respectfully, I cannot transfer Lieutenant Commander Data to Mr Maddox," Picard said.

Nakamura laughed nervously.

"Jean-Luc these orders come from Starfleet Security. Neither you nor I have the authority to-" Nakamura began to say.

"But you can feel it too. There are aspects of this transfer that smell foul," Picard said.

"I'll admit these are unusual circumstances," Nakamura concurred. "But I've been told the threat of this Lore is-"

Jean-Luc put his hand up.

"But we don't force people to undergo procedures against their will. We don't pack them in crates or confine them without justification," Picard argued.

Nakamura sat back and considered the Captain's statement. It was almost like he was trying desperately to convince himself that nothing was wrong, that he hadn't partaken in such a gross violation of the rights of sentient being.

"It's an android. Maddox has assured me that it doesn't understand," Nakamura insisted. "It won't be bothered by our arrangement for its storage. It can't feel."

"I can assure you, Admiral. He most certainly does feel," Picard assured him.

Jean-Luc sighed and smiled.

"Admiral, he was supposed to be on seventy-two hours leave to celebrate his anniversary," Picard shared.

Admiral Nakamura chuckled.

"An android birthday?" Nakamura asked, amsued. "Day of activation?"

Jean-Luc was not laughing.

"With another person for whom he cares deeply," Jean-Luc shared.

The Admiral was surprised.

"I'll gladly assign it quarters if that will help ease-" Admiral Nakamura offered.

"This is about more than quarters, Admiral," Jean-Luc said.

Admiral Nakamura nodded. He knew Captain Picard well enough to understand that when he made up his mind to fight for something, Jean-Luc was going to pour his all into the cause.

"Jean-Luc, I was ordered to notify Starfleet as soon as the transfer was complete and the android was in custody," Nakamura advised.

"And you've already delayed that notification," Jean-Luc pondered aloud.

Their last mission had gone awry, and the Enterprise had already been delayed in reaching Starbase 173. It certainly explained all of the urgency behind their orders.

"But as a new Starbase undergoing significant upgrades, it would not be out of the ordinary for our communications relay to experience a temporary malfunction," Nakamura said.

The tension in Jean-Luc's jaw released.

"That will buy you at least fifteen hours," Nakamura said. "Make them count."

The channel disconnected and Jean-Luc reached for his cup of tea. He took a slow drink and then sat back in his seat.

"Computer, pull all relevant information with regard to Starfleet regulations on the transfer of officers," Jean-Luc ordered.

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

591 79 26
in which the crew of the vision finds you as the sole survivor of a classified research facility and there's more gaps in your memory than memories t...
20.1K 1.1K 46
E.Killmonger Egypt Jones, Scholar? Cute? Nice? To answer all of those yes! Erik Stevens, Ruthless? Heartless? Cold? To answer 2 of those Yes. Heart...
116K 8.3K 43
Mutilated, dejected and stained by the blood of his loved ones, Lucius Cromwell, a precocious and naïve child of high society, strikes a deal with an...
3.3K 295 31
Being a hidden science experiment is all I've ever knew. Everyday I wake up in excruciating pain. The life I know is nothing but pain and I wandered...