It Began In Italy | ✔️

De moonlighttkisscs

One last trip with her family before she goes to University. Her intentions for this trip were to spend ever... Mai multe

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
EPILOGUE
Thank you :)

Chapter Twenty Three

146 7 0
De moonlighttkisscs

We'd finally bought a stack of books and Nico managed to beat me when I attempted to pull out my money before him. I'd given him a glare from the depths of hell but he still continued to hand the money over, the cashier graciously accepting.

We'd gone down to the beach and I reached into the bag before grabbing one of the books and beginning to read the small writing on the yellowing pages. The sun is beautiful against my skin and I let myself get lost in both the rays and the words.

If my mother and I were getting along, I'd say that this would be one of the most peaceful times of my life. That this holiday was truly something wonderful to remember.

"Incantevole," Nico says and my eyes flicker to him. He brings his hand to my thigh and butterflies swarm me.

"And what does incantevole mean?" I ask.

"Enchanting," he replies and every drop of oxygen leaves my lungs. Faint electricity buzzes through my veins and I realise how truly invested I am in this man. "I want to take you to dinner," he suddenly drops into the conversation.

Beaming at him, I can't help but admire his forwardness. "Are you asking me on a date?" I tease and his tongue pokes the inside of his cheek as he smiles.

"Maybe..." Nico trails off and I find that the want to kiss him multiplies with each breath.

"I mean there was this other date I was going to go on but I suppose-" I am cut off when a squeal breaks out of me. Nico lunges towards me, tickling my waist and the summer air is filled with my laughter. "Nico!" I laugh and he joins me.

However, my laughter is cut off when his lips crash against mine. I thank the heavens that we're at a more secluded section of the beach as he rolls on top of me. Opening my mouth, I let his tongue slide against mine - deepening the kiss.

Nico takes the book out of my hand before putting it down next to us on the sand, still kissing me the entire way. Twisting us, so that I am on top of him, I smile down at those blue eyes.

"Why do you look at me that way?" Nico sits up, his arms wrapping around me, holding me tight to his chest. I attempt to act oblivious, but I know exactly what he is referring to.

"Your eyes... they're incantevole," I grin, feeling the blush rising in my cheeks. I've never had someone make me blush to this extent. "But, that's not all that is enchanting..." I suggest and Nico laughs, pressing another sweet kiss to my lips.

His hands tighten. "You are going to get yourself into trouble talking like that," he whispers and the idea of trouble seems to intrigue me more.

Resting my forehead against his, I close my eyes. "In trouble with who... or what, exactly?" I goad him on before opening my eyes again. Nico shifts my hips and the only thing I can feel is the hardness beneath me.

"In trouble with the said enchanting thing," Nico's voice is deeper, darker and I want to melt right there and then. "It's a shame we're str-" I cut him off, placing my hand over his mouth.

Giving him a sweet smile, I shift my hips. "You'd have to be blind to think this is strictly platonic. Besides, this doesn't feel very friendly."

Eventually, I take away my hand - giving him the chance to speak upon the matter. However, the words never come, he only looks into my eyes.

Dinner with Nico. Excitement, but also anxiety floods my veins. We'd always done things casually, there was never a label on the things we did. Date. I never knew the place or the time, but now that I know... I find myself craving a surprise instead. At least it would take the edge off.

"What are you thinking about?" he finally asks and I am brought back to reality.

"Our dinner date," I smile, tightening my arms around his shoulders. A bashful smile takes over his face and I find my heart warming at the innocent action.

"Oh, yeah?" he asks and just the lilt in his voice turns me on more than words can describe. "And what about it? Not having second thoughts, are you?" Nico smirks and I roll my eyes.

You'd have to be crazy to have second thoughts about going out to dinner with this man. The fact that I have denied myself Nico at all blows my mind.

"No, not at all," I smile. Deciding to be upfront, I tell him the truth. "I'm just nervous." Shrugging, I admit my true feelings.

"Why's that?" he asks, as though it is ridiculous to feel nervous before you go to dinner with someone you are thoroughly invested in. "You have feelings for me, don't you? Otherwise, you wouldn't be nervous."

Rolling my eyes, I swat his chest. "You have a very high opinion of yourself. What if I'm nervous because I can't stand you?" I suggest and he laughs as though that could never, even in your wildest dreams, be possible.

"I have a feeling, Heidi, that if you couldn't stand me, I'd be very aware of that by now. You're a very strong-headed woman and I doubt you would put up with someone when you don't have to," Nico shrugs.

Shrugging, I figure that may be true.

Eventually, we left the beach and Nico told me that he'd pick me up at eight. Nerves crawl along my skin and I force myself to take deep breaths as I look at the wardrobe piled high with clothes. But not seeing anything date-worthy.

A knock sounds at the door and figuring it is Vienna, I call, "Come in."

Only it isn't Vienna, it's my mother. She gives me a small smile, an attempt to be civil. "I just wanted to apologise..." she trails off, obviously trying to gauge how I feel.

How I feel is that this apology is well overdue.

"Okay, go on," I say, crossing my arms. She sits down on the edge of the bed and clears her throat, more than once.

"Upon reflection, I've realised that how I acted... it was out of line and, as your mother, I should've respected your privacy. So for that, I apologise for everything and I believe that I am due an apology, also."

Despite her voicing what I have wanted her to say, for the better part of eternity, I feel no closure. I am still tethered to the anger built up inside me for all of the times she has stepped over the line. I understand that what she does comes from a good place but, I can't help but always feel betrayed by her. As though she's constantly working against me.

"You don't sound like you mean it," I shrug and she huffs before running a hand over her face - in what I am sure is frustration.

"Can't you see that I am trying here? With everything, I am trying to get over this constant bickering that we do because, quite frankly, it's getting boring. Getting constantly verbally abused by my own daughter is getting boring," she says, rubbing her temples.

Verbally abused. Because standing up for myself, my privacy and my life is verbal abuse.

"This apology sounds a lot less apologetic and a lot more like an excuse to berate me with accusations," I admit and my mother shakes her head.

"There's so much you don't know, Heidi. If you knew the entire story, you'd understand what I am trying to convey." With that, she gets up and leaves the room.

My mind is a jumbled mess of hurt and confusion. The entire story. What a bomb to drop without zero explanation. If this were any other day, I would chase after her and force an explanation but I have a date with Nico. I can't ruin the night because of my family drama.

Although, I can't help but let it taunt me in the back of my mind as I get ready and wait for Nico to show up.

When the usual faint knock sounds at the front door, I almost leap from the chair and move towards the porch. Swinging the door open, I give Nico a smile.

"You look..." he trails off and I raise a brow. "Like the most beautiful woman I have ever seen," Nico says, his voice much lower - as if he is in a trance as his eyes roam me.

I decided on wearing a green dress with a tinge of sheen to it. The material is ruched down my back, featuring a slight heart neckline. It was one of the prettiest dresses I own and I figured tonight was the best night to make use of it.

The blush rises in my cheeks and I find myself having to look away from his gaze. "You are too kind," I smile and shake my head.

Nico takes my hand, pulling me through the threshold and into the sweet night air. "I hope you're hungry," he says and I nod my head. I always have space for Italian cuisine - and dessert.

It's even scientifically proven that you always have room for dessert. The scientists said it, not me. 

"Where are we going?" I ask as we walk down the familiar stairs. Having walked down them so many times now, I feel as though I could descend them blind and not have much difficulty.

"There's a restaurant on the other side of the island, towards the top of that hill just over there," he points and I follow his finger to the small golden lights in the distance. "My father has been trying to buy the place off of Rodrigez for as long as I can remember, but to no avail. The views, they're nothing like anywhere else on the island. Better than table twenty-six."

I smile at the mention of table twenty-six. That was the table I was sitting at when I'd first met Nico, when this family holiday took a turn. "Why won't Rodrigez sell the place to your father?" I ask and Nico lets out a small laugh as we take a turn and begin to ascend the uneven steps.

"Rodrigez plans on taking the land to his death bed. He is the most reluctant man when it comes to his property. He couldn't care less if he'd get much more attention with the Emiliano's branding," Nico explains. 

I look up at the restaurant and I can already imagine the views. "You'll manage to get the restaurant one day," I profess and Nico nods his head, his hand moving to the small of my back.

When we finally reach the top of the stairs, I'm a heaving mess. Although, I try to conceal my ragged breathing with a sweet smile. God, I don't think I will ever be able to make it up here ever again. 

An older man seats us towards the front of the restaurant after noticing Nico and flashing him a mischievous smile. "You never give up, do you, kid?" the man laughs, shaking his head. 

"I just wanted, Heidi, to appreciate the views Vernazza has to offer. First time on the island and all," Nico explains and the guy hands us the menus although his eyes linger on mine for longer than I thought usual, furrowing his brows. He shook his head before trailing off to serve another table. "The man himself."

Looking to my left, the small brick wall beside us shows an amazing view of the island over the top. The body of blue ocean moves for miles and I can't help but notice that even in the dark of night, it still heavily reminds me of Nico's eyes. The rolling hills are evergreen, and the pastel colours of the buildings faded slightly within the darkness. The bustling of life can be seen down at the marina and find that I love this place more than words can describe. 

"I've never seen anything so beautiful," I say, just above a whisper. 

A moment of silence passes between us - only the sound of glasses clinking and cutlery scraping against the ceramic plates. "Neither have I," Nico says in a soft voice. 

When I look back at him, I realise that he's looking straight at me. That he was never even looking at the view. 

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

29.1K 1.4K 52
After three years of struggle to prove her worth in a new country, Rox, short for Roxana, finally nails a job at a new construction company that deal...
3.9K 1K 78
" Olivia, I liked you from the moment you hiccuped your way into my life. It's funny really but it's the truth. I also wasted a lot of time and this...
50.9K 1K 37
I would bet none of you have ever had that dream summer that all of us want.... that summer where you meet a boy on the beach and go surfing even tho...
451 0 38
In her thirties and burdened with a life that feels like an overstuffed backpack: a child she mostly raises alone, two main jobs, two side gigs, a sh...