Monster Hunter When Fantasy C...

By Landiahazak

Probably one of the most successful video game franchises in recent years, Monster Hunter has always been a s... More

Introduction
Rath: Rathalos and Rathian
Elephants of the North
Yian
Vaal Hazak
Lynian
Blos
Titanodracon
Cave Crawlers
Gargantugons
Dinosagónia
Gliding Monkeys
Basarios and Gravios
The Three Lords
Evolutionary Anomalies from the Sea
Airborne Oddities
Kushala Daora
Skýlosávra
Deviljho
Bazelgeuse
Rajang
Vouvalosauria
Urban Wildlife
Nargacuga
Temnoceran
Penicauda
Equigon
Brachydios
The End

Fídisuchian

131 4 1
By Landiahazak

Even though the Leviathan superfamily may be the closest living relatives to modern Crocodylians, with both being part of the Neosuchia clade, it would be easy to make the mistake of thinking that they are from completely different evolutionary branches due to the former having very little in common with the latter. When it comes to the Fídisuchian family, their uniqueness is on a whole other level of strangeness.

Although Crocodylomorphs have taken on many different forms and ecological niches over the millions of years of their existence, the Fídisuchians are the only ones to have evolved to become so snake-like in design. In fact, their body plan is so different from those of their relatives, people used to believe that they were the missing link between snakes and lizards, and it was only after genetic testing that their true identity was revealed.

But even with this revelation, the exact origin of this Leviathan family is still shrouded in many mysteries. Unfortunately, the Fídisuchians' fossil record is fragmented, so we don't have much information about their evolution. However in 2015, the mummified body of an extinct species which was soon given the name of Morozdrakon siberius, or frost dragon of Siberia, was discovered and quickly extracted from the permafrost.

The specimen, affectionately nicknamed Alina for her exquisite preservation, depicts a female Morozdrakon that was about 7 years old when it died around 43,000 years ago. Even the remains of her last meal, a steppe bison calf, is preserved within her stomach. However, the most exciting thing about Alina isn't her preservation, but where she was found and when she lived. Despite being a cold blooded Reptile, she was living in Siberia during the mid Pleistocene. This proves that the Fídisuchians were already adapting to the cooler climates near the Arctic circle.

Today, most of these Crocodylomorphs have evolve all sorts of features to survive in places with cold winters; however, not all of them are made for this type of weather. In fact, for Kafsitrypanosuchus ifaisteus, their preferred habitat is one of extreme heat.

Known as Uroktors when they're young, it's hard to believe that these Leviathans come from the Afar depression in Ethiopia, as they look more adapted for an aquatic lifestyle. However, looks can be deceiving, and the features of these animals are well suited for their environment.

When living in a volcanically active desert, being able to cool down is a must for survival. Luckily for the Uroktors, they happen to have the tools needed to accomplish this task.

One of the most effective ways for Uroktors to lose excess heat is through the use of the sail on their back. By pumping blood into these protrusions, the Leviathans can allow heat to escape through the skin, while simultaneously catching the wind which cools down the bodily fluids in their veins.

However, sometimes this isn't enough, and these animals have to find a different way of cooling off. But once again, evolution has given them the right features for the job. Thanks to their beak-like snouts, surprisingly powerful forelimbs, strong and flexible tail and ability to spit acid, Uroktors are master burrowers. By taking cover beneath the earth, these animals can avoid the scorching sun entirely and keep cool. Of course this tactic isn't very effective if they dig close to magma. However, the snout of these animals are very sensitive to changes in temperature. So by burying there bill into the ground, Uroktors can sense if the area is cold enough for them to comfortably rest in.

Due to their unique skeletal structure, when Uroktors start digging, they're forced to go in headfirst. To make the process less painful for them, these animals will spit acid on the ground to soften it. When the earth has been melted away, the Leviathans will enter the depression they've made, and begin spinning their entire body like a drill once they're halfway into the soil. As they spin, the protrusions on their durable bill pushes debris into the walls of their tunnel, making their subterranean travel smoother. In addition to this, Uroktors will use their limbs and paddle-like tail to push themselves forward when burrowing, making it less likely for them to lose momentum.

However, all this spinning while digging is bound to make these animals dizzy, and yet, when they inevitably resurface, they seem perfectly fine. This is because they have a surprisingly simple technique to reduce the effects. When drilling, Uroktors concentrate on their nasal crests so when they start moving, their eyes aren't as likely to involuntarily move in the opposite direction of the spin. Since this is a learnt behavior, younger individuals can get dizzy when they start learning to dig. However, by the time they become fully grown Agnaktors, their body will have gotten used to spinning, and they will no longer experience dizziness. In fact, the bodies of the 8.5 meter long adults are so used to being spinned that it's actually hard for them to stop and will continue rotating even after they've busted out of the ground.

Besides being a way of staying out of the sun and of moving around, drilling can help Uroktor gangs out maneuver and cut off escape routes for prey when hunting. However, most animals don't have to worry about being sprayed by the juveniles' stomach acid, as the young are primarily scavengers.

Along with Egyptian vultures and black-backed jackals, Uroktors are part of the clean-up crew in the Afar triangle. Despite being toothless, these Leviathans can eat everything on carcasses by dissolving skin, flesh, and even bones with their acid. So even though these young Fídisuchians may be dwarfed by their adult counterparts, they're still the dominant species at carcasses. Thanks to their tendency to travel in gangs and ability to regurgitate stomach acid, Uroktors can quickly get other scavengers to clear out. They'll also rapidly smack their jaws together, letting off surprisingly loud clacking noises which sound like gun shots, something that has caused many people to hit the deck.

However, these clacking noises aren't primarily used for intimidation. Instead, their main purpose is to communicate with each other over long distances. This is especially useful when Uroktors are in danger, as it allows them to call for the aid of Agnaktors.

Unlike their younger counterparts, Agnaktors are active predators, and are more than capable of taking care of themselves. Besides being much larger than Uroktors, typically standing 1.8 meters tall, these adults can fire beams of stomach acid rather than the short shots used by juveniles, and thanks to their long, flexible necks, the Fídisuchians can use their projectile attacks at a full 360 degrees, allowing them to attack from everywhere.

However most of the time, the sheer size of Agnaktors is enough to dispatch their targets. By combining their superb burrowing skills with their bulk, flexible bodies, keratin covered snouts, and powerful jaws which are now filled with sharp, cone-shaped teeth, these Leviathans can take down almost anything, though even they can fall prey to the jaws of Akantors.

Because Akantors out match them in almost every category, Agnaktors are more likely to flee if they come across the massive predators. However, if they should find themselves forced to fight, the Fídisuchians do have one tactic that could save them. As Kafsitrypanosuchuses age, they begin producing a mucus that strongly resembles lava from their skin. When it's exposed to the air, the slime hardens, turning into black coats of armour. Although not particularly durable, these extra layers of protection can sometimes be just enough to save these animals.

But the real purpose for these protective coatings is to keep the animals safe from high temperatures. During the breeding season, the normally solitary adults will gather around volcanoes on mass, clacking and spinning the whole time as they try to impress potential mates.

After having mated, females will begin their 6 month gestation period. Unlike most species of Leviathans, or Crocodylomorphs in general, Fídisuchians give live birth, thus the mothers don't have to constantly protect or regulate the temperature of their nests. This method of reproduction probably evolved as a response to the harshness of the habitat the family usually inhabits.

When these animals are about to give birth, they'll dig out a quick burrow before going into labor. The number of offsprings can vary greatly, with anything between 2 and 30 Uroktors popping out. Usually, those born to smaller litters are stronger than those from larger ones as they have less competition from their siblings; however, the latter group still has a decent chance of surviving, as they're more likely to form gangs to take down prey. Unluckily for the Uroktors, they won't get any help from their mother. Once she's given birth to them, they're on their own.

Unfortunately, life hasn't been getting easier for the Leviathans in recent years. Due to climate change and the invasive prosopis juliflora, many of the prey species they depend upon are disappearing, forcing the Crocodylomorphs to turn to livestock for food. This has brought humans and Kafsitrypanosuchuses in conflict, and with few ways of countering the animals' burrowing abilities and acid attacks, people have started hunting Uroktors, as Agnaktors are much too dangerous.

This conflict has already caused a lot of damage to both sides, yet there is a way of stopping it. The real problem isn't that the Fídisuchians are attacking livestock, but rather that they have nothing else to hunt. This is because climate change and prosopis juliflora have caused drinkable water sources and edible plants to disappear.

If the bloodshed is to end, then we must bring back the Leviathans' prey. If we work together to eradicate the prosopis juliflora infestation, continue doing what we're doing to decrease the hole in the ozone layer, and continue conserving the habits of Agnaktors' prey species, this conflict can be stopped, and these near threatened Fídisuchians can make a comeback.

======================================

While Agnaktors roam the scorching volcanic deserts of Ethiopia, some of their distant relatives thrive in the Arctic circle. Fídisuchians have the distinction of being the most northerly family of modern Reptiles, with many of them having evolved unique ways of protecting themselves from the cold.

One of the tactics the Fídisuchians evolved over millions of years is countercurrent heat exchange. By having veins that push blood in opposite direction next to each other, the heat can be transferred between them, keeping the bodies of animals like Glacianetum arctici warm, despite the climate.

Better known as Glacial Agnaktors for their resemblance to Agnaktors, these 7.3 meter long, and 1.5 meter tall Leviathans thrive in the frozen seas of the Arctic. Besides countercurrent heat exchange, these Fídisuchians have other ways of beating the cold.

Similarly to Agnaktors, these animals produce mucus from their hides which is typically called dewy pleura. However, unlike their distant relatives, the fluids secreted by Glacial Agnaktors doesn't harden. Instead, the slime acts as an insulating blanket for the Fídisuchians, preventing them from getting too cold when they get covered in snow or ice or when they dive after prey.

Thanks to their powerful tail and streamline body, Glacial Agnaktors are incredibly effective swimmers, capable of attaining speeds of 25 kilometers per hour. Typically, these animals hunt Fish, as their conical teeth are perfect for gripping slippery prey; however, they are also known to hunt seals, seabirds, other Fídisuchians, and even whale calves if the opportunity presents itself.

Of course, these animals cannot stay submerged forever, and around every 10 minutes, they must return to the surface to breathe. However, both polar bears and humans are known to wait near breathing holes for animals to come up, making this seemingly simple task very dangerous. Luckily for the Glacial Agnaktors, they have a way of avoiding this risk.

Just like Agnaktors, Glacial Agnaktor snouts are covered in keratin; however in the latter's case, the tips are incredibly sharp, giving them more piercing power. When resurfacing, the Leviathans will spin rapidly as they rise, before smashing headfirst into the ice. Due to how fast they rotate and the arrowhead shape of their bill, they have no problem busting through the frozen liquid. By doing this, the creatures also creates new breathing holes for other species during winter, making them part-time ecosystem engineers.

However, these Leviathans don't just drill through ice to make openings to the surface. Similarly to their Crocodylian relatives, Glacial Agnaktors are much more crafty than they first appear. Sometimes, instead of eating a kill they've made, they'll leave it, before diving under the ice, or inside snow drifts, then wait for larger animals to come and feed on this seemingly free meal. Unfortunately for the scavengers who come across the carcass, they've walked right into a trap. While the prey is distracted, the Leviathans will swim under their silhouettes and suddenly burst out from under them, giving the animals no chance of escaping.

But exploding through ice isn't the only trick these predators have when hunting land based prey. Another tactic Glacial Agnaktors use is sliding across frozen ground on their stomachs. This allows them to quickly close the distance between themselves and their targets. While tobogganing across ice and snow on their belly, the Fídisuchians will use their long and incredibly sharp claws to dig into the slippery surfaces and quickly change directions.

Yet if neither tactic works, these predators still have one more weapon at their disposal. Inside the Leviathans' throat, there's a pouch that allows them to store any seawater they accidentally swallow. If their targets are too far for them to catch, Glacial Agnaktors can cause the walls of the pouch to rapidly close, forcing the liquids out as beams of frigid water. These blasts are capable of knocking both predators and prey off their feet, giving the Fídisuchians enough time to either catch up or escape.

But during spring and summer, the normally solitary Leviathans will leave most land animals alone, and gather on mass with seabirds, whales, seals, and many more predators for the capelin spawning migration. Even though these animals are all hunting the same thing, it's rare for fights to break out, since there's more than enough food to share.

Yet one predator is a danger to all participants. Humans also fish for capelin, but unfortunately nets aren't accurate and many species, including Glacial Agnaktors, are put at risk of becoming entangled in fishing gear and drowning. In fact, despite global warming being a huge problem to most animals, these Leviathans are so well adapted for an aquatic lifestyle, that bycatch is what's becoming the biggest threat to their survival.

However, all over the world, people are coming up with new ways and devices specifically made to reduce bycatch chances. On top of that, many of these tools are simple and cheap modifications to fishing gear that already exists.

The best way of saving these vulnerable Leviathans is to adopt these new and more environmentally friendly fishing practices and tools. If you want to help protect Glacial Agnaktors, using devices proven to prevent bycatch, spreading the knowledge about the existence of these inventions, and creating your own methods of letting non-targeted species escape are all ways you can do your part in preserving these Fídisuchians.

======================================

Not all Fídisuchians live in environments of extreme heat or cold where food is hard to find. For some species, their daily challenge involves surviving potentially deadly neighbors.

These are the things that the Fídisuchian, Psittacoserpens mbóitu'īus, has to deal with in the Terai-Duar savannah and grasslands. Located throughout most of the southern base of the Himalayas and India, these 8.2 meter long Fídisuchians have evolved all sorts of abilities to put them on par with the other strange and enormous megafauna they coexist with.

Better known as Najarala, a mispronunciation of Nagaraja, these Fídisuchians may be Crocodylomorphs, but it's clear that they have much more in common with snakes. One of these similarities is how these serpentine creatures move. Although they still use their limbs for locomotion, they typically undulate their bodies across the ground during the process.

This preferred method of locomotion does force Najaralas to stay close to the ground, allowing them to sneak around unnoticed, as well as weave through clusters of obstacles. However, in places like the Terai-Duar savannah and grasslands, where the grass is tall enough to conceal elephants, this way of moving can become a detriment. Luckily for Najaralas, their short but powerful limbs give them the ability to rear up, allowing them to scan areas when they'd otherwise be blind. This tactic also makes them much taller and more intimidating to threat, with some adults even being able to look an Asian elephant in the eye.

However, these intimidation displays only work if the opponent sees them. That's why the Leviathans have another more effective way of scaring adversaries. Similarly to rattlesnakes, Najaralas can emit a rattling noise to warn other creatures that they're dangerous and should back off; however, the way the Fídisuchians attain these results are a bit different.

Najaralas have three different types of scales. The first are just like any others, but the large, rectangular ones, located on their neck and tail, have muscles at their base which allow the Fídisuchians to move them quickly. As the plate-like scales rub against each other, they create the iconic rattling noise. The volume of their rattling is greatly amplified by a hollow organ that runs along their spinal cord. After echoing off the organ's walls, the sounds are projected back out of the animal's body, sending a clear message to trespassers.

If an unwelcomed guest doesn't listen, Najaralas will deploy the final scale type. Unlike the others, these scales are hollow and very loose, so much so that the owner can throw them by quickly swinging their tail. Once thrown, these scales will either stick into the ground or shatter on impact, sending shards everywhere and potentially injuring opponents. Luckily for the Najaralas, it doesn't take much time for them to regrow their projectile weapons.

But if this still isn't enough to deter adversaries, these Fídisuchians still have one more weapon at their disposal. With the exception of a relative, Najaralas are the only known venomous Crocodylomorphs. Inside their lower mandible, Najaralas pose a neurotoxic venom which will paralyze prey and adversaries alike. Using the hollow, tusk-like fangs on their bottom jaw, the Leviathans can inject even the thickest of hides; however, they're still fragile and capable of being broken.

For most hunters, losing their primary weapon would be a death sentence, but this isn't the case for Najaralas. Although the loss is detrimental, these Leviathans have other tools at their disposal, such as keratin covering the top portion of their snouts, giving it the appearance of a bladed curved beak, and a flexible and muscular body, giving them the option of constricting prey while their jaws rip out chunks of flesh.

Of course, all of their takedown techniques are useless if they can't catch prey in the first place, but thanks to their coloration and burrowing abilities, Najaralas are capable of hiding in plain sight, making them very effective ambush predators. These features can also keep the animals safe from rivals like tigers, mugger crocodiles, Asian elephants, and Indian rhinoceroses who've all been known to kill the Leviathans on occasion.

Due to their resemblance to the mythical Nagas and Naginis of Buddhist, Jain Dharma, and Hindu mythology, Najaralas are both feared and revered by people. The Leviathans are typically believed to be the forms Naga kings, or Nagarajas, take when coming to our world, making it taboo to kill or injure one, even if it's an accident. Because of their divine status, it's not unusual for Najaralas to boldly approach humans. In fact over generations, these Fídisuchians have begun sleeping in settlements, knowing that here they won't have to worry about being attacked while resting or sunbathing. These events have also shaped local cultures, with people saying that homes who've been visited by the Leviathans are blessed. Although Najaralas who regularly visit villages and towns have been shown to be more relaxed than those that live away from humans, they are still wild animals and won't hesitate to bite if they feel threatened. That being said, they'll still give warnings. After all, they just want to rest.

Najaralas themselves may be protected from being directly harmed by most people, but the same can't be said for their environment. As human population grows, more of the forests and grasslands the creatures live in are destroyed for agriculture, timber, firewood, and fodder. In addition to this, locals depend on livestock for their livelihoods, but don't have enough pastures for them to graze in, forcing their animals to go into the forests to feed and prevent forest regeneration. Poachers also pose a threat to Najaralas. The illegal pet trade is a major problem to these animals, and nets and poisons kill them when they visit infected bodies of water.

However, many are doing what they can to save the environment of these animals. Through the creation and joining of protected areas, education, and support of governments, multiple organizations are helping the vulnerable Najaralas, and many other threatened species to make a comeback. By showing your support and taking part in these conservation efforts, informing your local community about these problems and their solutions, and respecting nature, you too can aid in protecting the homes of these living legends.

======================================

We typically associate Psittacoserpens genus with the warmer regions of India; however, similarly to tigers, these serpentine creatures can live in a much wider variety of habitats. Throughout the planet, there animals once managed to conquer most of Eurasia. Unfortunately, many of the species were driven to extinction by humans between the Middle Ages and 1700s.

But it wasn't just Psittacoserpens mbóitu'īus who survived. In northern Russia and Nordic countries, Psittacoserpens kallhavi also managed to escape persecution, thanks to their isolation and ability to stay active, even during the long dark and cold winters.

Also called Tidal Najaralas, these 10.4 meter long Fídisuchians are perfectly adapted for their polar habitats. Besides using countercurrent heat exchange to keep their core warm, their large size gives them the benefit of gigantothermy, meaning that their bodies don't have to work as hard to maintain a stable temperature. These adaptations allow Tidal Najaralas to stay active all year round. However, this also means that they must deal with the midnight sun and polar nights, both of which present their own challenges.

In summer, the sun almost never sets and life is plentiful, the perfect time for animals, including Tidal Najaralas, to have young. Moving effortlessly through lakes, forests, mountains, and coastlines, these Fídisuchians make sure to take full advantage of the boom in prey species populations, and there's not much that isn't on the menu.

However, even with so much food for both themselves and their young, it's not easy for them to catch their targets. Due to their brightly colored bodies and the constant lighting, they're quite easy to spot, negating their preferred tactic of ambushing prey. In addition to this, some species like muskoxen, humpback whales, brown bears, Lunagarons, and rarely, Glacial Agnaktors, can kill Tidal Najaralas if they aren't careful.

In response to not being able to effectively hide from their targets, these Leviathans have evolved an ingenious method of capturing food. Just like their relatives in India, Tidal Najaralas have throwable scales on their tails; however these ones are a bit different. These scales have indentations which make them curve at all angles, and their edges are much sharper, allowing them to embed themselves into things. The reason for these differences, has to do with how Tidal Najaralas use them.

Besides possessing the same neurotoxic venom as their smaller counterparts, Tidal Najaralas also have the ability to spit water-like fluids from a pouch in their throat; however, the molecular structure of these projectiles makes their properties more like rubber. Because of this, these globs are prone to ricochet off certain angles, and this is where the scales come in. Thanks to the curvature, the scales that these Leviathans throw allow their globs to ricochet off and change direction. Unfortunately for their prey, Tidal Najaralas are smart enough to have realized this, and will regularly place their shedded plates around their territories. This allows the predators to create traps for their targets. While their meals are concentrating on not getting hit by the fluids that are bouncing all over the place, the Fídisuchians can close in for the kill.

However, this tactic isn't as useful during winter where the constant darkness greatly decreases the accuracy of these sharpshooters and the snow risks covering some of the scales. But this is of little concern for the Leviathans since their coloration now provides them with camouflage in the frozen landscape.

At this time of the year, these Fídisuchians can regularly be found near or in partially frozen lakes and rivers. Not only is the water actually warmer than the air outside, but Tidal Najaralas also know that eventually something will come by to drink, giving them the perfect opportunity to paralyze their prey before dragging them beneath the ice.

But there's something else that happens during this season. For millions of years, the frozen lakes and shores of Scandinavia have become like stages for thousands of Tidal Najaralas. For them, winter is mating season and both genders will rattle their scales while preforming dances, attempting to attract possible suitors. Those who bore witness to these spectacles have compared them to the aurora borealis, with some even calling the Leviathans the physical embodiment of the northern lights. In addition to this, in ancient times, sailors used the racket of these gatherings as markers for where ice may be, helping them to safely navigate the areas.

For as long as humans have inhabited these northern lands, these clever and solitary Leviathans have always been there as well, their presence always signifying a healthy and almost magical ecosystem. However, despite being in the least concerned category, Tidal Najarala populations have been experiencing fluctuations in recent years, with some areas swamped with them, while others barely have any individual, all because of climate change, flooding and acid rain becoming more frequent. On top of that, many of the species Tidal Najaralas prey on are also being affected by these changes, making the problem even worse.

Luckily, the Nordic countries have a long history of working together when it comes to environmental issues, and this case is no exception. Having poured thousands of hours and resources into finding solutions, the Nordic countries are at the forefront in this battle against climate change.

By aiming to safeguard their biodiversity, opt for sustainable and environmentally friendly practices, and encourage other countries to follow in their footsteps, the Nordic countries are a prime example of what can be achieved if we have the same goals. If you want to help, the best way to do it is to support these types of practices by doing it yourself, and telling others about it. As long as we keep working together, we can create a world where civilization and nature can coexist peacefully and make sure that Tidal Najarala populations balance out.

======================================

The Fídisuchians are some truly bizarre Leviathans. Looking more like snakes than Crocodylomorphs, these serpentine creatures have to endure some of the harshest environments on the planet and yet they still thrive.

Burrowing through the earth like an industrial drill, Agnaktors and Uroktors are the speedsters of the Afar triangle. Armed with heat-resistant armour, acidic beams, and powerful bills, these animals are some of the toughest creatures ever.

Acting like a living icebreaker, Glacial Agnaktors hold the title of the world's most northerly Crocodylomorph, and they're perfectly adapted for their environment. Whether their prey is in or out of the water, there's no escaping these Arctic predators.

The living incarnations of Nagas, Najaralas are respected and feared by many. Capable of paralyzing, constricting and flinging their scales, these serpentine animals are not to be messed with.

Clever sharpshooters of the north, Tidal Najaralas are some of the most incredible hunters ever. Capable of adapting to summers of eternal sunlight and winters of endless darkness, these Leviathans are truly extraordinary.

The origin of the Fídisuchians may be shrouded in mysteries, but it's clear that the modern representatives aren't going extinct any time soon. After all, if they can survive in environments as harsh as volcanic deserts and frozen seas, they're obviously doing something right.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

377 0 65
The claws had emerged before I'd even realised, gently tearing their way through my skin, running their way through my arms and changing my body into...
39.2K 3.7K 35
When the world was first overrun by monsters, I thought a botanist like me didn't stand a change at surviving. Yet here I am months after the pretern...
35 0 3
A thousand years after the fall of the human race, Earth has recovered and is bursting with more wonders than ever before. The seven great continents...
565 120 35
[ U N E D I T E D V E R S I O N] ''We're running out of time! And you want me to leave you behind?....'' The soft silence engulfed the forest not a...