Earn it

Par abe6ail__

In a prestigious university where she had to prove herself, Yeji found comfort in the new group that she join... Plus

Author's Note
New Beginnings (scary ones)
Fitting in
Finding my groove
Talking Feelings
Competition (1)
Mistake
Setting boundaries
Mending
Now, We Dance
How do you fall in love?
I take it back; love's not it
Bad decisions
Debris on the way
Clearing things up
Night of Clarity
Moving forward
Dancing & Everything in Between
Good News
Tongue Tied
Twists and Turns
Refocus
New Friends
Contemplating
Breaking Bones
Starting Over
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Epilogue
HELLO

Apologies

852 47 4
Par abe6ail__

Chapter 13

Yeji

In the next several weeks, I avoided Ryujin on purpose. We only see each other in dance classes which happens very seldom now since we're always excused to practice in the other studio with the crew. I join group dinners in the dorm as seldom as possible, mostly focusing on Chaer and Yuna when joining the conversations.

I had a very long phone call with Karina, a friend from home and told her what has been happening.

-

"It has been forever! How have you been? We miss you back here".

Karina is my oldest friend. We grew up together and attended the same school back home. She knows everything about me.

"I know, I'm sorry. Everything's been... busy", I said weakly.

"Hmmm." I can tell that she already senses something off.

"So tell me about school! Your Umma said you're staying in a dorm with several other girls?"

"School is fine. There are so many talented people here, I'm scared I'd get swallowed in the background. So I worked my ass off and got myself a spot on a crew formed to compete on a dance offff", I said excitedly.

"I knew it! I knew you'd ace it there", she answered back. "So, any interesting stories about your roommates? Have you developed any crushes?" She giggled.

Swallowing nervously, I started telling her about the girls, and the Ryujin incident. She listened intently and tried not to cut me off with her questions and comments.

"Wait, so Ryujin and Lia are dating?"

"Yes. No. I mean, I'm not sure. They're always together and Lia stays in Ryujin's room a lot. And the kissing incident pretty much confirmed it."

"Uh huh. But you said you saw Ryujin pushed her off of her to call you. Why would she do that? And that they've been acting weird around each other recently."

"Yeah, she did. And they are. I don't know. I really haven't talked to her or anyone about it."

"Why haven't you? You should just apologize and carry on. It's hard to be in a non-talking relationship with someone you live with", she says in a monotone voice. But I know she's on to something. "It's not a big deal, right?", she added.

"It's not", I answered defensively.

"So why haven't you apologized yet if it's not? You're not the one to feel this embarrassed for a long time. You cannot even last half a day not apologizing over a spilled milk".

"I don't know... I feel weird around her".

"Is she pretty?" The question came out of nowhere and I coughed out of surprise.

"Well, they all are."

"I'm asking particularly about her." Karina can be very persistent when she wants to learn something. But she won't put it in your mouth and instead wait for you to say it yourself.

"Yeah, she is pretty" I hesitated. "And a good dancer, too. Has a sense of humor and she genuinely cares about people" I found myself saying, totally unplanned.

"Uh huh", I can already imagine Karina's smirk on the other line.

"What? Just say it, Karina." I said, trying to sound annoyed, but failing.

"Oh, it's nothing. You just seem to have developed an interest in this Ryujin person. You contemplate that one and talk about the progress next week, okay?"

Before I could even answer, I heard her sister calling her.

"It was nice to talk to you. I miss you a lot! Talk again soon".

She hung up, leaving me more confused than ever.

Developed an interest? What, like a crush? Ugh, it can't be. What do I know about those things, anyway.

I went to bed that night, failing to wipe Ryujin's image off my mind.

3 weeks before the competition and we're almost done practicing the full choreography.

Today, we're supposed to polish the killing part of the dance. It's a routine with all of us positioned in the different levels of a moveable stair set up (a prop that must've cost a lot!). Chaeryeong and I are in the middle because we have the most similar physique and we're tasked to do a mirrored routine once we get down, to make the transition easier.

The dance, however, is very complicated.

We had to do some sort of level-inspired dance - so a couple of us are on the floor, the other two on their knees and Chaeryeong and I travel around the others while doing shifts and slides.

We had to do the part in our dance costumes so we're progressing a little slow today.

One thing about these practices, too, is that we can't stop until we're told to do so. Some days go by swiftly. Some days, like today, end up with us begging for rest.

"C'mon, one more before we wrap the day up. Unleash all your youthful energy for this one" says Ten, the school choreographer and one of the dancers under its sister's company - JYP entertainment.

We're all exhausted and I can already tell I'll be straight up dead once I climb my bed. But on the last stretch of practice, something worse happened.

While we were doing the first few steps going down the stairs, Chaeryeong slipped and landed with her right leg in a weird position. She cried in pain and everyone rushed towards her.

"Chaer! Are you okay?" I pushed myself in front of everyone. Ten ran quickly beside me.

"My ankle hurts", tears welling in her eyes.

"Clear up the way, and call the clinic Jihyo", Ten instructed while checking out Chaer's ankle.

After a couple of minutes, people from the clinic entered the studio with some first aid kits and a stretcher.

They brought Chaer to the clinic for further checking. I was told that she might stay for a few hours and advised that I go home to rest.

When I reached the dorm, Ryujin was in the kitchen making a sandwich. I didn't expect her to talk to me as we haven't really paid direct attention to each other for weeks. But today, she approached me after hearing about the incident with Chaeryeong.

"Yeji", my name sounds foreign in her mouth.

"How's Chaer? I heard from a few students that they saw her being carried outside the studio on a stretcher", she sounded hesitant but I know she cares about Chaer a lot.

She walked towards me.

"She's still being checked. I was told not to wait and the nurse got my number so she could call me once Chaer's all good to go back here. She would probably need help" I said, trying my best not to look awkward but it's hard because she's looking straight at me.

"I'll go with you. I mean... if that's okay".

"Yeah, I'll let you know".

We're both just standing now. No one dares to make another move or say another word.

"Uhm, do you want a sandwich? I got some ham left."

As if on cue, my stomach growled. I haven't eaten in 5 hours and was dancing for most of those hours, too.

She handed me the one she's holding and I took it. Saving grace since I dind't have food in my room, too.

"Thank you", I said shyly.

I sat on the dining table as a courtesy. She sat in front of me a couple of minutes after. No one spoke until we're halfway through our sandwiches.

"Uhm, do you like it?" She initiated.

"Huh?" I said, confused. I must have been too distracted to hear what she said.

"The sandwich. Does it taste okay?"

"Oh" I chuckled to myself, feeling ridiculously awkward. "It's good. Thank you. Practice was long today and I didn't get to buy anything since I went straight to the clinic after wrapping up".

"Yeah, Ten can be strict. I had to dance to one of his choreographies last year, too".

She proceeded to tell me about the contest she was in last year. She was with Chaeryeong, too. She must've been really used to them being together in any competition.

I could tell that she's getting more comfortable as the conversation progresses. And I'm feeling a bit lighter, too.

Karina's voice rang in my head and I decided to follow it.

"So, uh..." I started.

"I want to apologize. For barging in and entering your room without permission weeks ago." Now that I started saying it, what I did sounded really ridiculous and I shouldn't have waited weeks to talk to her.

"I felt embarrassed and I thought you hated me so I kept my distance."

My apology was obviously unexpected as Ryujin took a second to realize what's happening.

"Oh." She scratches the back of her head, unsure what to say. So I continued.

"Are you? Mad at me, I mean"

"No!" she said a little too instantly. "If anything, I feel really embarrassed that I was petty for that long because I didn't make the cut. I just... I don't know how to apologize to you. You seem so done with me after what happened".

She's looking down now.

Realization dawning between the two of us.

"So we're literally just waiting on each other to come around, then?" I said, looking at her now and smiling. Hoping she'll look back.

She did.

And when she met my eyes, I felt a sudden longing.

"It seems like it." She said, throwing back a smile. "But I really am sorry, Yeji. Things have been very awkward between us but I hope we can be actual friends from here".

She sounded genuine and I felt a huge wave of relief.

"Of course" I extended my hand. She laughed but shook it, anyway.

Just when we're about to clean up, Lia entered the dorm and glanced in our direction. She ignored us and went straight to her room.

Yup. There's one more person that I need to apologize to, too.

But that might take some time. I would need all the courage in the world to do that. Because I think she hates my guts even more now. 

a/n

I'm sorry that this story is progressing very slow. I didn't intend it to be this slow burn. I hope you're not bored yet. *fingers crossed*

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

225K 10.7K 62
Hwang Yeji, a new student with an element of dancing. She spits fire with her eyes and captivates people with her moves. Not only that, she is an int...
58.9K 1.6K 36
(Itzy's Ryujin x FemOC) After nine years of training, you finally debuted with five other girls called Itzy. Even though you girls have a 3-year dati...
16.6K 289 12
Ryujin X fem! Reader X Yeji Description: You are Itzy's manager and are always by their side. But what happens when your responsibilities undergo a c...
9.7K 322 43
ㅡHey! Hyunjin! Is it you? It's been a long time. I'm Y/n! Do you recognize me? Yeji answered ㅡHmm..yes. How are you? ㅡFine! And you? How are your par...