A Court of shadows and love

By LJ_McLean

"Do you think you can stop me shadow singer?" Xander asked in an eerie voice as his eyes glowed. Xander's bod... More

CHARACTERS
CHAPTER-1
CHAPTER-2
CHAPTER-3
Chapter-5
CHAPTER-6
Chapter-7
Chapter-8
Chapter-9
Chapter-10
Chapter-11
Chapter-12
Chapter-13
Chapter-14
Chapter-15
Chapter-16
Chapter-17
Chapter-18
Chapter-19
Chapter-20
Chalter-21
Chapter-22
Chapter-23
Chapter-24
Chapter-25
Chapter-26
Chapter-27
Chapter-28
Chapter-29
Chapter-30
Chapter-31
Chapter-32
Chlater-33
Chapter-34
Chapter-35
Chapter-36

CHAPTER- 4

201 10 0
By LJ_McLean

Sun was shining brightly by the time Xander woke up next morning. He rubbed the sleep out of his eyes as he sat up. He planted his hands behind his back  and hissed when a pain shot through his left palm. He frowned at the cloth wrapped around his hand. He took off the cloth and looked at the deep cut in his palm. He couldn't remember how it happened. He noticed his surroundings. He slept in his sisters's room and he was covered in Nesta's blanket. His sister's where nowhere in site. He got out of the bed and sniffed himself. He smelt good, but he didn't remember taking a bath last night. He went out of the bedroom and saw Elain at the breakfast table and Nesta sitting near the fireplace and reading. His father sitting in his armchair as usual.

"Good morning" said Xander as he took a seat near his twin sister. "Morning" said Elain. He took the tea cup she gave him and sipped the tea. "Hey Elain" said Xander after few sips. "Hmm" said Elain looking up. "Do you know how my palm got splintered?" He asked his sister. Elain frowned. "I don't know. I thought you fell down or something in the forest" she said and looked a little confused. Nesta's eyes widened. "You don't remember" said Nesta quietly. "Remember what sister?" Xander asked Nesta. "Nothing. You said you got your hand spliced when you were climbing tree with Gavin" Nesta replied without looking up from her book.

Xander frowned. He hasn't seem Gavin in weeks. This wound still looked fresh. He placed the cup of his tea on the table. That's when he noticed. Feyre. "Where is Feyre?" He asked particularly no one. "Did you drink too much Xander?" Asked Elain. "No I didn't" Xander said offended. "Are you not feeling well?" Elain examined her brother's face. "I am perfectly healthy Elain. Now tell me where Feyre is," demanded Xander. "She left to take care of your Aunt Ripleigh" his father said. Xander squinted. "Yesterday night. She left" he finished. Xander didn't remember anything about having an aunt or Feyre leaving to take care of the said aunt. He caressed the table. Something felt wrong. The table he was sitting looked odd. Xander examined it closer.  It doesn't have the painting of vine and foxglove Feyre did.

Suddenly an image of a beast turning the table upside down flashed in his mind. Xander stood so fast that he knocked down the chair. Elain opened her mouth to say something. But he just shook her head and dashed to his room. Nesta looked after her brother worried. She knew he knew what really happened. But she can't do anything about it. So, she waited.

Xander entered his small room and slammed the door shut. He slid down against it and heavily breathed. There were fuzzy images in his head. Of a beast, him holding his sister close to his chest, Feyre and him crying, her giving him a dagger. The dagger. Xander jolted to his sisters's room and found the dagger. He still doesn't know what has fully transcribed. So he is going to do what he always did to clear his head. He is going to play in small piano, which a wealthy bastard through out as waste and Xander took it upon himself to learn it.

He went to his room and closed the door. He stared at the keyboard and pressed the first note. He started playing. Rising and dropping the notes according to what he was remembering. By the end of it, tears  were streaming down his cheeks. He remembered. He remembered what happened last night. He remembered what Feyre did. What she did to save him. He remembered. He quickly got dressed and gathered all the 58 coppers he saved and got the dagger Feyre gave him and strapped it to his thighs. He gathered some extra cloak and stuffed it in his rucksack. He got out of his room approached were his family were sat.

Elain raised an eyebrow. "Umm I said Gavin that I will come in today for training to make up for the lost time and we will be training in nearby village. We won't be back for a day or two" he said to his sister and kissed her forehead. She said her goodbye and he reached the door. Right when he was going to open the door a hand gripped his shoulder. He turned around to see Nesta standing behind him. "Bring her back" Nesta said. Xander blinked. Of course she remembers. She is Nesta fucking Archeron. He nodded his head and stepped into the winter sun.

Xander went to the market to meet with the mercenary he sold the hides yesterday. It was short wait. He saw her trudging along with her horse headed right in his direction. He stepped in her path.

The mercenary looked up from her path. It was the boy from yesterday. "What do you want boy?" She asked. Xander took out his pouch and handed it to her. "50 coppers. Take me to the wall" he said as he straightened his old jacket. The woman raised her eyebrows. "To the wall?" She asked him, "yes to the wall" Xander clarified. "Are you going to tell me why you want get to the wall?" Asked the mercenary as she counted the coins. "Do you need to know?" Xander snapped. "Well considering I am the one who is going to take you there I would like to know" she said as she put the pouch in one of her coat pockets. Xander heaved a heavy sigh and recounted the tale of what has happened in his home yesterday.

"Well then are you going to get ready or not?" She asked him. Xander blinked. "You don't believe me?" Xander asked. "It's not about my belief boy. It's about yours. Just hope that your sister hasn't gone too far" she said and mounted her horse. "What are you waiting for boy?" She asked Xander. "I am just waiting for him" said Xander and pointed towards Issac Hale. Who is coming in his direction with a night black horse. Xander met him in half way. "Thanks man. I owe you one" he said and gripped his forearm. "No problems Xander" Issac said and gave him a small smile. He told him his farewell and mounted his horse. Soon enough Xander and the mercenary whose name he learned as Fianna started riding towards the forest.

Xander and Fianna entered the tree lines. Darkness beckoned beyond.  "Are you afraid boy?" Asked Fianna. "No this is the place my sister and I killed the faerie" Xander said as he looked at the clearing. "Come on we need to move faster so that we can get to the area with caves to spend the night" said Fianna. Xander said nothing. He just kicked his horse and started riding. They both rode without stopping. They put a considerable amount of distance between them and village.

Sun was setting quickly. Fianna's horse halted in front of a cave. Xander's followed suit." We can rest in there for tonight and start at first light." She said and slid down from her horse. Xander did the same and tied his horse near the mouth of cave. He started preparing fire and Fianna went down to feed both of their horses water in the stream near the cave. By the time she came back the cave was little bit warm. Xander gave her a piece of bread and eat some of the same.

"You can ask it" said Xander after few minutes of silence. Fianna raised her eyebrows. "I know you want ask it. So ask away" Xander shrugged his shoulder. "Don't get me wrong boy. By what you have told about your sister , she is capable of handling her own. Why do you want risk your life to save hers or possibly endangering both of yours?" Fianna asked.

"My mother died when I was young. Since that it's always been Feyre who took care of us. Sure I had Nesta too, but she doesn't carry the burden of feeding a whole family. I helped her when I was mature enough. But I wanted to do more. She always wanted me to go after my dreams. I wanted to give her a chance so that she can chase hers. I wanted to take care of her. But I failed. I failed to save her. I will do anything to save my sister, even if I lose myself in the process" said Xander as he absent mindedly stared into the flickering flames. Nothing was said after that. Xander drew his cloak closer to his body and fell asleep.

By their word Xander and Fianna started riding on the first light. Fianna didn't bring up last night's conversation, Xander was great full for that. They rode until they both felt the shift in air. Magic. The air around them became hotter. By the time they reached the magical barrier it was late afternoon. Xander dismounted his horse and placed a hand over the invisible wall. He can practically feel the thrumming of magic beneath his wounded palm. "Do you know any way to get inside?" Xander asked as he continued to examine the wall. "Never knew anyone who has done it before" said Fianna from where she stood in a stone. Xander yelled and kicked at the invisible wall. "There has to be a way" he said quietly. Fianna reached out and placed a hand on his shoulders. "Listen to me boy, I know your sister is in there. But I haven't seen a single person who have crossed the wall" she said to him as he stared.

"The children of the blessed" Xander breathed. "They must know a way into prythian. They may use it smuggle people in there" he rambled. "Listen to me, boy" hissed Fianna. "The children of the blessed are idiots who doesn't know a shit about fae world. You are going to grasping straws if you listen to them. Do you really want to waste the life your sister gave you by sacrificing her own?" She asked him. The truth hit him heavily. She is gone. Feyre is gone. He didn't say anything. He doesn't have to. "Come on we should hasten the return journey. If we rode faster we can reach the village tonight" with that Fianna gathered the reins of both of their horses and handed his to Xander. He mounted the horse and rode in utter silence.

It was dark by the time they reached the village. They both slowed down near the fork road where one leads to market and the other to Xander's home. "Thank you, Fianna for coming with me" he said to her. "I am sorry about your sister, boy" she said. Xander gave her a tight lipped smile and headed towards his house. He left the horse in Issac's barn on the way to his home. He walked down the snow covered path. He yanked the front door open. His sisters and father were sitting near the fire place. Elain  lept to her feet when she saw her brother.

"Xander, how was your training?" Asked Elain. "It was fine" he said as he peeled off his cloak and jacket. "We have so much to tell you" said Elain as she approached her brother. " I am exhausted Elain. Can we talk tomorrow?" He asked her sister. "Of course" said Elain. He brushed past her with a little good night and retreated to his room. One look at her brother's face told Nesta what happened out there. She silently slipped away from her father and Elain who were chatting animatedly.

Nesta went to her brother's room and saw the state of her brother. She didn't say anything. She slipped his head on her lap and massaged his scalp as he cried. This is the least she can do. She is not Feyre but she is his sister too. She will take care of him as Feyre took care of him....

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

845 26 3
"Mother, are you using me to make the shadowsinger jealous?" Lucien asked, trying not to snicker. When he looked back down at Elain he found her face...
946K 38.7K 137
Tw: this book will deal with triggering topics. If you are easily triggered this is not the story for you, thank you. (Book two in the Starlight seri...
2.7K 143 31
"Why are you late?" He questions, sounding exactly as I remember "You know, traffic." I apologize, making a turn to trudge to him majestically. "If y...
64.3K 2.6K 27
Tessa has many secrets, not least of which is the fact that a) she's a shadowsinger and b) she's been dishing out unsanctioned retribution to deservi...