Monster Hunter When Fantasy C...

Por Landiahazak

Probably one of the most successful video game franchises in recent years, Monster Hunter has always been a s... Mais

Introduction
Rath: Rathalos and Rathian
Elephants of the North
Yian
Vaal Hazak
Lynian
Blos
Titanodracon
Cave Crawlers
Gargantugons
Dinosagónia
Basarios and Gravios
The Three Lords
Fídisuchian
Evolutionary Anomalies from the Sea
Airborne Oddities
Kushala Daora
Skýlosávra
Deviljho
Bazelgeuse
Rajang
Vouvalosauria
Urban Wildlife
Nargacuga
Temnoceran
Penicauda
Equigon
Brachydios
The End

Gliding Monkeys

112 4 1
Por Landiahazak

The Primate order contains a wide range of species that come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and roles in their ecosystems. Whether it be the long fingerred aye-ayes, tiny tarsiers, powerful gorillas, crafty macaques, cat-like Felynes, or the clever Homo sapiens, this successful lineage has managed to conquer every continent on the planet, with the exception of Antarctica.

But despite these enormous varieties in body plans and ecological niches, all Primates still have some things in common. They have facing eyes which gives them good depth perception, flexible shoulder joints that allow them to rotate their arms in every direction, dexterous fingers that make the task of grasping things easier, and large brains compared to their bodies.

It's because of these features and genetic testing that we were able to identify the Pelagi to be an infraorder of Primates, even though many of its members have unusual body plans. However, some species took these unorthodox designs to the extreme.

While most Pelagi have exceptionally strong arms and legs, four different species in Asia ended up taking a dramatically different route in their evolution. Instead of becoming powerful brawlers, they've adapted to be acrobatic gliders.

Thanks to their pseudo wings, these Primates are capable of covering quite a lot of distance by simply spreading out their limbs. In addition to this, these flaps of skin can aid in slowing falls when leaping from one point to the next.

But even with these gliding membranes, these aerial monkeys aren't capable of powered flight. This means they're still reliant on trees and other high points to keep themselves safe from predators, and to act as launchpads for when they take to the skies. Luckily for Nychteropithicus aquanus, the island of Sumatra provides these animals with a multitude of elevated places for their needs.

Better known as Kecha Wachas, trunked monkeys or monkey foxes, these animals typically stand at 1.2 meters in height, and 1.8 in length when counting the tail. Overall, these Pelagi are around the same size as olive baboons, though the former's prepositions are vastly different.

Similarly to the order master brachiators of Sumatra, the Sumatran orangutans and Sumatran lar gibbons, the arms of these Pelaguses are significantly longer than their legs. However, unlike the other tree swinging Primates they coexist with, the hands of Kecha Wachas have a very unique design.

Just like most members in the Pelagus infraorder, Kecha Wacha hands possess three fingers and one thumb. But when it comes to this species, their fourth digit has almost completely disappeared. Like the spider monkeys of Latin America, Kecha Wachas devolved their thumbs to prevent the digits from accidentally getting caught on branches. To compensate for this decrease in gripping capability, the Pelagi's fingers have evolved to become elongated, and end in long, sharp, hooked claws which they use to snag onto tree limbs and vines.

Thanks to their unique hand structure, these Pelagi are able to effortlessly swing through Sumatra's jungles at amazing speeds; however these aren't the only tools which allow them to be so at home in the treetops. Similarly to their forelimbs, the tail of Kecha Wachas are surprisingly long, and possess a hooked barb that both resemble and act like ice axes.

Although Kecha Wacha will regularly use their tails as a third limb when moving through the island's canopies, allowing them to perform incredible and complex acrobatic maneuvers, the primary purpose of these appendages comes into play when the animals are resting. Unlike the majority of Primates, most Pelagi don't have opposable toes, as they've adapted to spend the majority of their time on the ground, but for these tree flinging oddities, this makes standing on surfaces high above the ground more risky, since they can't rely on their feet to help grip onto things, but this is where their tails become invaluable.

When climbing vertically or resting in high places, Kecha Wachas will plunge the barb on their tails into secure surfaces. This means that if the animals lose their grip, they won't fall due to the curvature of their spikes firmly anchoring them in place. In fact, these hooks are so effective, the Pelagi have been known to sometimes sleep upside-down with nothing but their tails holding them up.

However, if this tactic should ever fail, these animals still have one more trick. Similarly to sugar gliders, Kecha Wachas have skin that connects forelimbs to their legs called patagium. These membranes typically stay folded against their bodies, but when needed, the Pelagi can quickly unfurl them to act as built-in parachutes. Thanks to their patagia, Kecha Wachas can both slow and control their fall when jumping from high places, allowing them to travel much further than they would by brachiating. This gliding ability can come in handy when their destinations are otherwise out of reach, as it can save time and possible journeys to the forests floor.

When gliding, the Pelagi will ever so slightly adjust the position of their limbs, body mass, and tail to help steer in midair. Experienced Kecha Wachas may even use their aerial maneuvers in tangent with swinging, allowing them to speed through even the densely packed jungles. Kecha Wachas may be born with these patagiums, but it can take years for them to master these aerial acrobatics. For the first two years of their lives, young individuals will be reliant on their mothers to carry them to different locations, but eventually, they'll have to learn to glide by themselves.

This is a daunting task for juveniles, as they rarely get a second chance if they fail. Even if these young Kecha Wachas don't die from the fall, the fact that they're on the ground makes them incredibly vulnerable to attacks, as they're incapable of powered flight.

But sometimes these Pelagi have to leave the safety of the trees and venture to the ground. Unlike the other Primates on the island who can get their hydration from succulents and fruits, the hand design of Kecha Wachas makes it very hard for them to pick things up. Because of this, Kecha Wachas must drink from lakes and rivers to stay hydrated, leaving them open to attacks. However, these animals do have a way of minimizing the number of times they need to take these risks.

At some point in history, the ancestors of Kecha Wachas and their relatives evolved to have a trunk. Although too short for grabbing objects like elephants, these proboscises do contain a special organ that can hold water. Thanks to this, the species can spray the stored liquid into their mouths when thirsty. Most of the time, Kecha Wachas will only use the water when they're in need of hydration; however, under desperate circumstances, these animals may spray the liquid out of their trunks as defense against predators. These blasts may not be dangerous, but if the Primates can get the fluids into their attackers' eyes, this could be enough to temporarily blind them and allow escape.

However, these water shots are only used when everything else has failed, as it is a costly tactic. Usually, Kecha Wachas will try to intimidate their attackers. The ears of the species are definitely unique, but the reason for this is quickly revealed once the Pelagi fold these appendages over their faces.

Similarly to some species of butterflies and moths, the back of the ears of Kecha Wachas have large eye spots. In addition to this, the strange extentions are revealed to mimic fangs. Thanks to these features, the Pelagi can hide their real face, and make themselves look much more threatening. Sometimes they may also flail their arms around to add to the intimidation factor.

Unfortunately, there's one major drawback to these threat displays. The Primates themselves can't see. However, this doesn't mean that the Kecha Wachas are completely blind. Although their sight is greatly impaired, their hearing is improved. Due to the appendages now being so close to the ground, Kecha Wachas can locate their opponents by listening for their footfalls. The folded ears also help them trap smells and further enhance their ability to track adversaries.

These senses may be good at tracking enemies, but their hearing and smell are primarily used to find insects and larvae inside trees. Once they've detected their targets, Kecha Wachas will use their claws to dig into wood, and pull out their meals which are quickly grabbed by the animals' trunks, and tossed into their open maws.

Kecha Wachas may occasionally eat plants, seeds, and fruits if they get the chance, but it's clear that they're best adapted for hunting invertebrates. This is very important for the jungles they live in, as the Pelagi control the population of wood burrowing insects, keeping the trees both they and other species depend on healthy.

Unfortunately, in recent years, the populations of these mostly solitary, yet curious animals have been decreasing due to illegal acts of wildlife trade, deforestation, and agriculture. These threats not only affect the critically endangered Kecha Wachas, but also many of the other endemic species that coexist with them.

However, many organizations are striving to protect the last of Sumatra's jungles. Whether it be by working with local communities, industries, and governments to improve the methods used to guard protected areas, and provide less destructive income opportunities, or directly sabotaging illegal activities, these groups are tirelessly working to save this island's unique flora and fauna. By supporting these groups, aiding in projects to defend the island, working for more environmentally friendly companies, or simply just spreading awareness to friends, family, and your community, you too can help save Kecha Wachas and the creatures they live with.

======================================

While the Kecha Wachas of Sumatra are most definitely some of the strangest Primates to have ever existed, they aren't the only Pelagi with these specific adaptations.

During the last glacial maximum, growing glaciers drastically lowered sea levels. This caused the islands of west Indonesia, Sumatra, Java, and Borneo, as well as the Philippines to be connected to Southeast Asia, and created the Sundalands in the process. During its existence, many animals from mainland Asia migrated down to the Sundalands. These species eventually became stranded on the islands once the ice melted and the waters returned. This is why places like Indonesia have elephants, rhinoceroses, tigers, apes, and Kecha Wachas, despite the natural barriers.

The isolation on the islands eventually caused these castaways to divert from their ancestors, and the Kecha Wachas were no exception. While the Pelagi on Sumatra became perfectly adapted for their arboreal lifestyle, their close relatives, Nychteropithicus pyrofus, haven't completely become dependent on trees for their survival.

Better known as Ash Kecha Wachas, a nickname derived from their appearance, these animals may have a similar body plan to their cousins on Sumatra, but the two species aren't as similar as they may first seem. The most obvious differences are the colors and sizes of both animals.

While the Sumatran species is predominantly orange and yellow, those on the mainland are grey, white, or light blue, with yellowish brown underbellies, and very colorful ears. Ash Kecha Wachas are also slightly taller than their island relatives, typically growing to be 1.5 meters in height. Although these slight changes may first seem like nothing special, they've actually caused the two Nychteropithicus species to behave differently.

Thanks to their longer limbs, the source of their added height, Ash Kecha Wachas are actually capable of getting airborne from ground level by jumping. This tactic may not get them to safety, but sometimes it's just enough for them to get a head start. Because of this adaptability to do short distance glides without the need for elevated places, these Pelagi can be found throughout a large portion of the Indomayan realm, and a tiny part of the Palearctic realm. This makes Ash Kecha Wachas some of the most widespread Primates in the world.

Another key to their success comes from a very unique ability they possess. Ash Kecha Wachas may eat the same things as Sumatran Kecha Wachas, but there's one type of food that they can't get enough of: bombardier beetles. Similarly to some other species, Ash Kecha Wachas steal the chemical weapons inside of bombardier beetles, and use it for themselves. To avoid having the hydroquinone and hydration peroxide mixing and blowing up inside of them, the Pelagi have turned the organ in their trunk into a container for one of the ingredients. Meanwhile the other binds with the animals' mucus.

When the Ash Kecha Wachas find themselves in danger, they'll combine the chemicals before essentially sneezing the concoction out their trunk. Just like the bombardier beetles, these acidic snot balls cause great pain to anything unlucky enough to be hit. Unfortunately for any predator that is foolish enough to attack an Ash Kecha Wacha, their mucus shots aren't the only weapons these Pelagi have. Unlike their relatives who'd much rather avoid fights, these Primates don't normally back down, usually showing off their threat displays before going on the offensive with their claws. However, if they should make the mistake of battling opponents that are too powerful for them, these mostly solitary animals won't be able to call for backup.

But just because these animals prefer to be alone, doesn't mean that they can't get along. For solitary animals, Ash Kecha Wachas have a surprisingly complex language. By moving their colorful ears in certain ways, it's possible for them to communicate how they feel, exchange information, such as if there are resources nearby. In addition to this, mothers have been known to use their large appendages as umbrellas for their infants, keeping them dry or out of the sun. Their ears can also help dissipate excess heat when they get too hot or keep objects out of their eyes.

Unfortunately, these ears can also be a detriment to some populations. In some parts of their range, Ash Kecha Wachas are considered as sacred creatures that should be respected; however, in order places, these Pelagi are hunted for their ears. Depending on the areas and religions, the ears of Ash Kecha Wachas could be used for traditional medicines, decorations, status symbols, or good luck charms. This unfortunately has made these Primates prime targets for poachers.

In addition to this, deforestation, the illegal pet trade, and conflicts with farmers who are trying to protect their crops, are further decreasing the populations of Ash Kecha Wachas. However, these animals can still be saved. By creating more protected areas, reimbursing farmers for any lost crops, and and preventing poaching activities, it's possible to protect these animals.

If you want to get these Pelagi out of the vulnerable classification, then supporting or joining organizations that are actively fighting poaching, deforestation and other illegal activities, as well as pushing for the creation of more protected zones, is one way you can help the Ash Kecha Wachas and the species they coexist with. And if you just want to do something small, then simply tolerating the animals' presence, and leaving them alone can make a big difference.

======================================

While both Nychteropithicus species have always been identified as animals, two other species of gliding Pelagi have earned quite the spiritual reputation to the people of Japan. The country has many different types of spirits and divine beings known as yokai, and one of these are the mountain dwelling tengu.

Today, tengu are depicted as humanoid yokai with bird wigs sprouting from their back, though their exact appearances can very depending on the type of tengu. These spirits are traditionally described as wise and powerful, but they also love to wreak havoc on morals.

Now the tengus themselves might not be real, but the creatures that almost certainly inspired them are. Moving effortlessly through the forests and mountains of Japan, Kaprópithicus dióspypon are the living incarnations of these yokai.

Locally called Bishatens, these truly bizarre animals who typically stand a meter in height and 1.5 in length, may not look like it, but they are Primates. In fact, despite their extravagant appearance, the species is believed to be a part of one of the oldest families in the order; the Ouráchér.

Meaning tail hand in Greek, Ouráchérs may be the first family belonging to the Pelagus infraorder, as its members have five digits on their hands instead of four. Unfortunately for these Primates, a large portion of them became extinct during the late Miocene. As the world continued to cool, and forests were replaced with grasslands, almost all of the Ouráchérs disappeared forever. However, in an ironic twist of fate, it was the last glacial maximum that likely saved the family from extinction.

During this period, the sea around Japan receded due to the glaciers, connecting the archipelago to the mainland. This allowed the ancestors of Bishatens to cross over, before being cut off from the rest of the world once the waters returned and leaving them without competition. It's unclear what the ancestors of the modern day Bishatens looked like, as we currently only have a right hand and forearm to work with. However, these remains can tell us a lot about the evolution of their descendents.

From the fossils we have, it appears that the pseudo wings of Bishatens are a relatively new adaptation, as the pinky was only slightly longer than the middle finger. This is dramatically different, as the little fingers of their modern-day descendents are almost the length of their arms. Similarly to the extinct Pterosaurs, these extreme digits support leathery wing membranes, allowing the Primates to glide. In addition to this, Bishatens have noticeable flaps at the base of their tails, giving them the ability to steer. But despite these adaptations, the Pelagi are still incapable of powered flight.

However, these animals aren't relegated to using trees to get airborne like the Kecha Wachas. Thanks to their long, powerful, prehensile tail, Bishatens can use the appendage to hold up their bodies, making them tall enough to look a human in the eyes, and launch themselves into the air. It's not capable of getting them very high or far, but it does give them escape options when on the ground.

Although effective launchpads, Bishaten tails have many more uses. The most distinguishing feature about this fifth limb has to be the five finger-like protrusions at the tip, giving the appearance of a hand. Surprisingly, despite being made from muscles and keratin, these protrusions can extend and recoil like real thing, giving Bishatens the ability to grab and throw things with their tails. The way this is possible has to do with how the muscles are connected with the bones and each other. By simply flexing the tip, the Pelagi can make the pseudo fingers involuntarily open or close. Thanks to this mechanism, and the keratinous spikes at the end of each protrusions which gives the illusion of nails, these animals can easily hang from trees and walls with nothing but their tail.

Bishatens will regularly use this when cleaning themselves, as it frees up their hands, and makes it much harder for predators to reach them when they're in this vulnerable state. And since Bishatens only live in pairs, they rarely have someone to keep lookout. In addition to this already seemingly unpleasant chore, when these Pelagi are preening their bodies, they always do it by themselves, meaning that they aren't paying attention to possible dangers.

Interestingly, unlike most Primates, Bishatens actually seem to dislike being groomed. These actions even seem to cause discomfort to the animals. They have been reported to cry while doing this, although the reason for this behavior is unknown. One possibility says that since Bishatens sometimes pluck out the pseudo feathers when grooming, pain causes them to cry. While another theory suggests that the tears they shed are due to the juices of the fruits they carry getting in their eyes.

The latter seems more likely, since even though Bishatens are omnivores, they especially love persimmons. In fact, this fondness is so great, that these animals will purposefully clear out any other plant that may compete with their favorite food sources. It's unknown when the fruits became popular with these Primates, but it has gone on for long enough that over generations, Bishatens not only created persimmons groves, but unintentionally caused some of the plants to diverge into three unique subspecies, Diospyros kaki toxinensis, illuminor, and pragos.

These subspecies are almost completely identical to the original when the fruits are ripe; however, the same can't be said for when they're unripe. Originally, Bishatens would pick persimmons regardless of their ripeness, as they appear to enjoy the taste of them at all stages. To ensure that their product would be able to attain maturity, the trees evolved to grow fruits with unexpected weapons, making them inedible for any animal. Toxinensis holds a toxin powerful enough to cause vomiting. Illuminor contains tiny, loose hairs that can potentially be blown into the eyes of the eater, blinding them. And pragos stores incredibly potent poisons, capable of temporarily paralyzing whatever is unlucky enough to devour their fruits.

Sure enough, the clever Primates soon began avoiding these potentially deadly persimmons; however, this doesn't mean that the trees are left alone. At some point, a Bishatens must have gotten the idea to use these unripe fruits to its advantage, as it's very common for the Pelagi to carry these fruits in the pouch on their stomach.

Normally, Bishatens will use their pouch to hold onto food for later, and to carry babies when they have them, but when ever these animals are forced to fight, they won't hesitate to pull out persimmons, and completely pelt their opponents. However, if these Pelagi grab unripe fruits, they'll typically use their tails to keep the amo away from themselves, before smashing persimmons against their rivals where the keratinous plates increase the damage, or on the ground to let the chemical weapons out. When this happens, the creatures will use their wings to cover their face, protecting the vulnerable area from any stray pieces.

Unfortunately, Bishatens can be curious and mischievous animals, and they have no problem throwing fruits at passers-by for no apparent reason other than fun. This affinity for tossing persimmons may have been the intention for the Japanese folktale, the Crab and the Monkey, in which the latter attacks the former by throwing a persimmon at it. In fact, it's possible that the monkey in the story might have been a Bishaten.

Besides being the inspiration for the tengus and a story, Bishatens are believed to be lucky, and their crests is thought to give them intelligence, with the largest granting the most wisdom. Because of this, in ancient times, people would wear the creatures' hide for clothing, and the keratinous growth as hats. Although nowhere near as widespread today, the wearing of Bishaten skin and crests is still being practiced by the Yamabusi people who have a deep connection with tengus, the yokai these animals inspired. Luckily for the Primates, the clothing only mimics their hide and protrusions instead of being made from their bodies.

These days, Bishatens and humans live in relative harmony due to the former's preference for staying in the forested mountains. However, this doesn't mean that conflicts don't arise. Due to their love of persimmon fruits, Bishatens have occasionally been known to raid farms that grow their favorite food. The culprits are usually subadults who have yet to claim a territory, thus they tend to be more desperate to find nourishment. Most of the time these encounters end with the animals fleeing once they've been caught; however, if they're desperate enough, these Pelagi may instead fight back with their tail and pseudo beak. Thankfully, these attacks are rare.

Due to Japan having taken many actions to protect its biodiversity, as well as the Pelagi's amazing ability to adapt to change and escape situations, Bishatens comfortably sit in the least concerned category. However, it's always important to help, no matter the conservation status. By leaving their natural environments alone, tolerating their mischievous personality, and simply keeping their safety in mind, you too can aid make their lives just a bit easier.

======================================

In Japan, pine trees are iconic cultural symbols that are associated with endurance and eternity. However, one species in particular, Pinus flambora, is linked with fire and the real life daitengu.

Know to the locals as Blood Orange Bishatens, a name derived from their auburn fur, the Kaprópithicus pini may be very similar to their cousins, but their temperaments are drastically different. Where one is a prankster, the other is a pyromaniac.

Standing 1.2 meters in height and 1.9 in length, these creatures may not be massive, but they are the largest Primates that are native to the archipelago. When these animals stand on their tails, they can be even taller than the average human.

Despite having many of the same traits as Bishatens, including the wing membranes, adult Blood Orange Bishatens are too heavy to glide. Instead, this ability is relegated to the younger individuals whose smaller stature and body mass allow them to move through the air. But these pseudo wings aren't useless to the adults. Just like their relatives, the membranes are covered in feather-like fur. These are normally used to help in gliding, but they can also help with insulation, something that is especially useful when the temperature drops.

These Pelagi also have other ways to keep themselves warm. Despite not being particularly closely related to Homonins and Lynians, these Pelagi have learned how to harness fire. It's believed that at some point in the past, Blood Orange Bishatens observed us creating and utilizing the flames for ourselves. Eventually, one must have been bold or curious enough to take smoldering material, and mimic what it had seen humans do. Over generations of observation, the Blood Orange Bishatens may have learned that the wood of Pinus flambora, a distant relative of the lodgepole pine, was especially flammable.

Now it's unknown whether the Pelagi first started placing rocks in the pinecones of Pinus flambora, and then covered them in the trees' flammable sap, or the reverse. But what is known is that today Blood Orange Bishatens cover the plants' cones in the sticky liquid, allowing them to ignite the their ammunition. By placing flint in between the cones' scales, and then hitting them quickly together, the Pelagi can ignite the sap, and turn the pinecones into flaming projectiles. So when threatened, these Primates won't have any problem scaring off attackers.

When the pinecones of Pinus flambora are placed under extreme heat, they release their seeds at such a speed that they almost explode, and unfortunately hit anything nearby. Even if the attackers of the Pelagi succeed in closing the distance, they still aren't safe from getting damaged. Whenever these Primates are forced into close quarter combat, they use their pseudo beak, an extention of their crests with the usual function of breaking open hard food, to deliver deep gashes to their opponents.

With all these tools at their disposal, most animals leave these creatures alone. On the other hand, Blood Orange Bishatens have been known to be vengeful creatures, and there are many reports of people getting pelted after they've made the mistake of angering the Pelagi. According to some of these victims, the aggressors were even heard "laughing" as they got their revenge. Despite these acts of aggression, Blood Orange Bishatens don't go looking for trouble. For the most part, these animals act similarly to their cousins, spending their days lazing around, or playing with each other.

But in more recent years, conflicts between Blood Orange Bishatens and humans have become more common due to logging. Because of clear cutting, the forests don't have enough time to recover. This is especially devastating for Pinus flambora, and to an extent, the Primates that rely on them for their amo. Because the Pelagi are known to fight back against loggers, the animals can be unfortunately killed so that they can't interfere.

However in 2001, both Pinus flambora and Blood Orange Bishatens were declared protected species. Many areas where these organisms live are now off limit to logging. But there are still some parts in Japan where conflicts continue, and that is where you come in. By petitioning for more places to be turned into protected areas, you too can help ensure the survival of these near threatened animals.

======================================

Primates come in every shape and size imaginable, but only a few have been able to do the impossible. Even if they can't fly, these four species have managed to take to the skies.

Swinging and gliding through the jungles of Sumatra, the curious and bizarre Kecha Wachas have no rivals when it comes to moving through the trees. Even amongst the oragutans and gibbons, they are the true masters of brachiating.

One of the most widespread Primates to ever exist, the Ash Kecha Wachas may be well suited for an arboreal lifestyle, but they've shown themselves to be incredibly adaptable. Whether it be jungles or open plains, these creatures can make themselves at home in a variety of environments.

A legend incarnate, the Bishatens have inspired many things in Japanese culture and for good reason. Between their strange appearance, amazing intelligence, and great adaptability, it makes sense that they'd leave an impression on us.

The bringer of flames and forests, Blood Orange Bishatens are undoubtedly one of smartest animals ever. Despite being potentially dangerous and spreading fire wherever they go, the life that follows in their path quickly clears the damage.

With the ability to move freely through a multitude of terrains, these animals are truly extraordinary. Although none have been able to take flight yet, their ability to glide shows us just what evolution is capable of.

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

2.3K 120 37
Anyone who has played any Monster Hunter game will have probably noticed at some point that the ways these so called "monsters" act are strangely fam...
58 1 10
[Hiatus, but will continue] A long time ago the world was peaceful and full of many different creatures. These creatures where dragons, rocs, pheoni...
275 30 12
There are so many creatures that once roamed planet Earth, our own little oasis in the vast expanse of the desert we call the cosmos. But what were t...
2.2K 209 27
"Last night, I had a dream the world ended. Half the population disappeared, and unfathomable eldritch beasts shambled out of an unending darkness." ...