Taming A Predator

By cannoness

››BOOK 2 OF PREY‹‹ I was born into a world forever meant to be against me. Into a world, I was never supposed... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68

Chapter 57

16.5K 1K 692
By cannoness

Xander's POV:

I think I may have underestimated Doe's commitment to these cupcakes.

She woke up early this morning, completely leaving me in bed while she hurriedly got dressed and ran out to the kitchen.

Nico, or I suppose Khloe, only wanted us to get started with her birthday festivities at around ten for breakfast and board games for a few hours with the five of us.

Which I thought was sweet.

But now I was heading over to the kitchen at 9:30 to hunt down my girlfriend and pester her with assistance she probably doesn't want.

If Lily will let me. If she doesn't, then I'll just ask her some questions pertaining to tonight.

I'd already gone up and wished my father a happy birthday, but there was a formal activity later tonight that I wanted to ask her about.

Lily greeted me as soon as I pushed open the doors.

"Good morning Xander," She chirped, pointing a thumb behind her into the kitchen, "She's in there."

I nodded, taking in the variety of scents that were being prepared for Khloe.

Apples and cinnamon, bacon, and chocolate from what I'm hoping are the cupcakes.

I caught myself and halted in front of the kitchen doors.

"Can I?" I sheepishly asked Lily.

She eyed me over, holding the sup she was filling almost threateningly.

"You know what I expect, prince."

"I'll behave, ma'am," I assured her.

"I'm sure. And don't forget that there's a window we can see through," She mentioned off-handedly with a knowing tone, going right back to her drink.

Oh... right.

Knowing that she knew about us still felt a little weird.

Regardless, I let myself in, spotting her further down on of the counters working on something in a large bowl.

I thought for a moment that I was accidentally sneaking up on her, but as soon as I was about two steps away, she turned to me with a spoon in hand.

"Try this," She demanded, handing me the spoon, "It's the frosting,"

I looked over the pink color, gladly taking the spoon and tasting its contents.

Wow, this was... very good.

Not that I thought it wouldn't be... I guess I don't know what I was expecting.

The taste of raspberries melded perfectly with the dark chocolate shavings mixed in.

"The cupcakes ended up being chocolate with like a... hazelnut chocolate gooey center." She told, turning back to her bowl.

"You 'lava cake'ed the cupcakes?" I asked with a smile.

"I wanted to try... Lily definitely helped me a ton in making sure I didn't make a giant mess... Do you think it's overkill? With the frosting and everything? Or is the frosting too flavorful? Should I add more of the chocolate?" Her borage of questions came in quick succession, showing her worry again in this whole process.

A rare sight, and kind of charming given that this was for Khloe, but still not one I was too fond of.

I let my fingers trail down her back.

"I think that you're gonna end up creating the next big thing and Lily's gonna have to make em more often after today," I said in an attempt to calm her, "I think the flavors are gonna work together just how they should. Maybe save some of the chocolate to put on the top after they're all put together."

"Right," She sighed out, yet still didn't look completely content.

I checked the window before stepping closer, turning the rub of my hand into a little massage.

"Even if you don't think they're perfect, I can assure you Khloe will absolutely love them, and I'm sure she'd want to taste every trial batch you make until you're satisfied with the results."

She blinked, I guess not thinking about future opportunities with this.

"I guess you have a point," she admitted, that look finally fading enough to where I was content, "Now get out. You're distracting."

I breathed out a laugh watching her get back to her work, prepping the piping bags she was going to use and such.

"I will, But I wanna ask you something first. I told you about the party tonight for my dad, right?"

"You mentioned it, but didn't go any further than just that."

"It's more of just a get-together and celebrations for the citizens, but I'm gonna show up for a bit just out of formality. And you're welcome to join me if you want."

She paused for a moment of thought.

"Humans and vampires I'm assuming?"

"That is correct."

Another few seconds of silence.

"Eh. I'll probably sit this one out then. If they're gonna be more vampires trying to flirt with you the whole time." She finished lowly.

I bit my bottom lip amongst my smile, thinking back to that day at the park.

I dunno... that was just incredibly pleasing and sexy of her to me.

I guess I just thought she wasn't the protective type like I was, even if there was no initial problem.

"Jealous?" I teased.

She let out a stern huff.

"I am not jealous. I have no reason to be."

Hm. true.

"I just know that I'll react weirdly, and I don't know how long I can get away with keeping you to myself without outing myself as a human. Plus isn't Nico gonna be there?"

"Nico has no room to say anything," I laughed at the thought, "But you make a fair point. I won't be gone long then."

"Good Morning, Nico," Lily's voice rang out, causing both of us to turn.

I lowered my hand from her and took a step back, speaking my next words in a whisper.

"I'll stop distracting you now. Call me if you need another taste tester. Love you!"

"Xander!" She berated my last comment, cheeks turning a bright red.

I giggled to myself, making my way out of the kitchen.

Nico stared at me as I walked through the door.

Just Nico. No Khloe.

"Since when have you been allowed in the kitchen?" He asked, looking to Lily who just shrugged.

"I had to help Doe with something," I answered with a similar shrug, "Where's the birthday girl?"

And Marcus. We need him here too.

"She'll be here soon, I just came to get things ready."

"I see." I casually approached, figuring that now may be a good time to see if I can get him to spill his secrets, "Got any plans after this?"

He brushed me off, grabbing the drinks Lily had been preparing and taking them over to the table we usually played on.

I followed and he eventually answered.

"Not that I know of, I let her make the plans, the only thing I insisted on planning was dinner."

Dinner, huh?

Romance potential? Astronomical.

"Which is?" I don't think I was even trying to be subtle at this point.

He caught on, brows furrowing in slight suspicion.

"Something I'm not telling you. I don't need you to come and crash it." Was his casual reply.

I gawked, offended.

"I would never! For your birthday, absolutely, but not Khloe's!"

He chuckled quietly, pulling out the chair Khloe always sat in so that it was ready for her.

"I'm not taking that chance, Xan. Ask her about it tomorrow. I'm sure she'll be happy to tell you."

Hmph. Fine.

I'll get extra on her good side today by letting her win in these games.

Nico's hard to crack, but maybe Khloe is more likely to spill some juicy deets.

For this morning, though, I'll do my best to make sure that her day today is a good one.

~~~

Nico told me he'd be here tonight, but I haven't been able to find him yet.

I haven't even found mom or dad yet, so I've just been aimlessly wandering this party looking for them.

My autopilot as a prince in these settings has been doing its job. Mingling as people approach, and keeping my steady posture.

Easing myself out of potential flirty situations just for Doe's sake.

I told her I would as she got me ready, but she just rolled her eyes and sent me on my way.

God this was boring.

I gotta get Doe to agree to come with me to a formal event one of these days. Just so I can truly enjoy myself and share some dances with the girl I love.

But tonight was the wrong night. Wrong theme and such.

I inhaled deeply through my nose, filing through the cents to find one I recognized.

And I did.

Jeez Nico it took you long enough.

I dodged through the crowd to follow the scent, exchanging short formalities with a few people.

I finally spotted his tall ass glancing back at the clock that sat high on the wall, noticing the crowd thicken around him.

When I finally got a good look at him I noticed that-

Oh... oh my.

My poor brother.

Not many would recognize the expression he had as he looked at the clock since he hid it behind his typical expression, but I knew it.

Mixed with his rigid stance... yeah.

I've been there before.

He was missing out on something, and I really wanted to think I knew what that something was.

Khloe's birthday, a fancy dinner that he wouldn't tell me about. You do the math.

I know if that were Doe and me, I'd absolutely be ending the night with a nice love-making sesh.

Did that mean that I was going to cut him any slack? Oh absolutely not.

"Why the hell do you look like that?" I called out, watching him immediately turn to face me.

He almost looked a touch relieved at my presence.

"Like what?" He asked, turning his body to me fully.

Really Nico? You really want me to describe it to you?

"Like you're about to combust at any second." I explained in simple terms, " I don't think I've ever seen you so tense."

His shoulders fell as if on cue, but I kept going.

"Not to mention the fact that you've been looking at the clock every ten seconds."

Khloe wasn't here either so that only must mean they started something that didn't get finished.

Left her ready and waiting, Nico? Come on you're better than that.

"Have you just been watching me the whole time?" He accused in an attempt to sway the focus.

Not this time Nico. It's too interesting.

I shrugged.

"Basically. You're easy to spot in a crowd given the number of people that like to swarm their future Lord."

His eyes darted around, confirming my words like he had no spacial awareness until now.

His mind must be racing, so I guess I can't blame him.

I did however notice that people tended to leave up alone if we were talking to each other.

"So, what's up? You're not usually like this."

Come on Nico give me something here. Make the time go by faster.

"I just... really don't want to be here."

I smirked at his vague statement, catching onto the fact that he wasn't talking me the whole truth.

I should have seen that coming.

"Right," I drew out the word, " So what'd you and Khloe do for her birthday after this morning?"

His eyes narrowed and I worried for a moment if he was about to get angry at me for pushing this much for something I knew he was trying to keep hidden.

In public no less.

But these people didn't know who she was, so I gave myself the benefit of the doubt.

"Since when have you been so curious about her?" He asked instead.

Hmm... was he trying to gauge me right now?

Eh. Probably.

"I dunno. She's cute and fun to be around. Plus that age is like, special to her I'm pretty sure, so I was just wondering if she enjoyed herself today." I answered innocently.

I didn't want to make him too suspicious, I just wanted to see if he'd slip up on his own terms.

He just stared at me for a second before glancing all around us.

Ah right. Even if he would tell me, there were plenty of listening ears around us right now.

I knew he liked to keep most of his personal livelihood as Private as he possibly could, so I didn't get my hopes up for an answer.

The look he then sent me solidified it, sending a message in of itself saying 'I'll tell you later'.

"Yeah good call," I sighed, walking up to him, and slinging an arm over his shoulder.

The crowd parted as we began walking, making our conversation harder to follow without people being obvious.

"Have you seen father yet?" Nico asked, to which I shook my head.

"No, and for that reason, I might just bail early and head back to my room."

Nico's lips pressed together tight, brows knitting together for only about a second.

Oh, he really did not want to be here.

And really, He didn't need to be for that much longer. People had seen him and could vouch for him if anyone asked about his presence.

Mom and dad typically celebrated these events with each other or us, so I dont think they'll worry too much about it either way.

"If you don't want to be here so badly, why don't you come with me. Go and spend some time with her before the night is over." I told him.

"Why do you suddenly talk about her like you're her brother too?"

His question didn't contain any suspicion or malice, just plain curiosity.

I shrugged again.

"I'm just looking out for her. She's just become more of a friend ever since we've been here which is relieving since I still feel guilty for what I did to her."

One of the many things I don't think I'll be over any time soon. Especially with how nice and kind she's been to me since we've moved back here.

Nico let out a little breath of a laugh, "Believe me, Xander, she's over it. And thank you for looking out for her."

Eh. Not good enough.

He continued, "I'll head back up soon, I just... can't yet."

Can't?

"And when can you?" I prodded.

A devoid look fell in his eyes as he looked back up to the clock.

"Thirty-five minutes."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

829 41 48
Emily has left her life as a human and is now what she was meant to become. Being a new born vampire has its perks, but will she be able to control h...
79.2K 5.6K 52
CURRENTLY BEING RE-WRITTEN AS PART OF THE "HOW NOT TO VAMPIRE" SERIES) It's the week from Hell as Bob tries to save his ex-girlfriend Jaime from cert...
168 1 11
Blood Keepers Book Two I didn't think this would be how living as a Keeper would be. It was challenging yet at the same time I had a life of my own...
261K 14.1K 37
***Part 2 in the Zone Zero series*** ***MATURE CONTENT INSIDE*** Do not read this first. please read Zone Zero and then read Redemption. Otherwise it...