Leaving my love behind

By Greys_anatomy_22

This takes place when Derek chooses Addison over Meredith. Meredith is heartbroken and feels she can't stay i... More

Chapter One
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Author's note
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
chapter 28
chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50

Chapter 51

232 5 1
By Greys_anatomy_22

A little bit of a time jump by a few days.

Derek's POV:

We spent a week in New York with the majority of my family, and in all honestly, I was surprised at how well my sisters treated Meredith, but I couldn't be happier that they were finally showing kindness. While we were over I had many conversations with Ma about proposing to Meredith, she was ecstatic but also hesitant about how quick it was, but I knew when I first met Mer she was the one for me. 

Today's the day, today's the day I'm asking Meredith to marry me. I've been planning this for a while now, I know it's sudden but when you have the person you want to spend the rest of your life with, soon isn't soon enough when it comes to love.

I don't want to make an extreme gesture as I know that isn't Meredith, but I do want to make it special, intimate, and unique to Mer and me. I think I know just what that is.

I continue to sleep, to grab more time to plan how I'll ask Meredith to marry me, I hope she says yes. She's the love of my life.

Meredith's POV:

Urgh, the twins kept me up all night, key word in my sentence is ME, Derek sleeps through it all, which sucks because now I have to go to work with less sleep than I had hoped for. I turn over to look at Derek, he looks so peaceful, with no care for the outer world, I wish I could shut my brain off. Instead, I'm sleep-deprived and over-analysing everything.

I don't want anything to change from how it is currently, Derek, Eliza, Amelia and I—my newly formed family. 

I didn't think I could ever be a mum, I mean I didn't have an amazing role model to follow in the footsteps of but I like to think that I'm breaking the cycle of poor and absent mothers. I'm going to rewrite my story so my girls can grow and know they are loved, so they know that no matter what I won't ever put my job before them, I'll be different, I have to be different from my mother. I have to at least try.

I need to shut my brain off, I need to stop doubting myself and my mothering abilities, I think I need to go for a run, normally I would participate in what some would call day drinking. But I'm a mother now, I cannot spend my days drinking away the toxic thoughts that repeat within me.

I've been recovering from my attack for a while now, I feel well enough to jog and I've been cleared to go back to work later this morning. I still have to see a therapist and I'm not excited about that side of recovery but I need to commit to it for myself, for Derek, for Eliza, and for Amelia. I need to be the best person physically, emotionally, and mentally for them.

I quietly slip out of Derek's grasp, get into my workout yoga pants and prepare for my run.

Derek's POV:

Meredith I assume left to go for a run before we head into work later on today, she is under strict orders not to work long hours, overwork herself and take breaks if she is feeling sore or over-whelmed. I know she's been cleared back to work, but I can't help but worry. It feels like I have this constant lump in my throat and this weight on my chest whenever I begin to relive the horror Mer went through. I'm petrified that she's going to come into work today, and I won't be next to her to protect her all the time. I don't want to lose her, not again.

But today is going to be special, today I will ask Meredith to become my wife. But first I need to breathe, take a moment and get Eliza and Amelia dressed for nursery.

//

Derek's POV: 

It was a quiet ride to the hospital, Meredith seemed in her world, and I seemed to be on my own. 
My mind was wracking over how to propose whereas I suspect Mer's was wracking with nerves for coming back to work. 

Meredith and I walk our way up to the nursery to drop off the girls, silence hangs in the air. I know how she's feeling without her having to tell me, she's nervous.

"Mer? Are you alright over there? I was thinking we could have dinner on the ferry boat after work today?"

"Yeah.. that sounds nice, we haven't been on a ferry boat in a while, it could be enjoyable."

"Amazing, I'll pick you up from the locker rooms at 8, don't be late Dr. Grey."

"Yes, Dr. Shepherd."

//

It's 8:30 pm and Meredith isn't here yet, could she be injured again? Could she be stuck in that storage closet? Has she been attacked again? Has she-

"Derek! I'm so sorry I'm late I was up at the nursery, Eliza wasn't taking a bottle and I was going to call you but I left my pager and phone in the scrub room, I'm so sorry I didn't mean to make you panic. I truly was just feeding Eliza but now I have both girls with me and I'm sorry did I say that before? Because I'm truly sorry I didn't want you to get anxious, I promise Der-"

"It's fine Meredith, you didn't cause me to get anxious it was only half an hour I knew you would be doing something important. And hi Eliza and Amelia how was your day? Aren't you adorable!"

Liar Derek, tell her you felt like all the air from your lungs was trapped and that you felt like you couldn't breathe.

"Are you sure Derek? I didn't make you worried?"

"I'm sure, now go freshen up I'll wait here with the girls and then we can head out."

"Okay, only if you're sure. I'll be out in 15. I love you, Derek."

"I love you too Meredith, more than you can ever imagine."

//

Meredith's POV:

Sitting on this ferry boat with Derek and the girls, I know there is nowhere else I rather be. They are the loves of my life my beautiful girls and my handsome boyfriend I feel so incredibly lucky to have survived the attacks and to be able to sit here with them tonight. 

Work today was surprisingly smooth sailing I was a little apprehensive but I didn't have a panic attack, I got through the day and can't wait to head back to work. I've decided to do half maternity leave and half work, so I can still make a reasonable income to provide for my little family. 

As I look as Derek as he watches the water I know I see forever with him. 

I know right now that there is no one else for me, Derek is my past, my present and my future.

Derek's POV:

God she's so beautiful. 

This is it, this is when I'm going to propose I can't wait any longer, if I do I'll chicken out.

"Meredith."

"Derek?"

"Meredith, I love you so much."

"I love you too Derek, What's going on?"

*Derek goes on one knee*

"Derek?!"

"Meredith, I know realistically we haven't been together for that long, but Meredith, I love you so much that it hurts. You are the oxygen that lets me breathe, it's as if you were a breath of fresh air, I can't breath without having you in my life. You inspire me every day,  with you're determination, dedication, and your selflessness. I love how you are obsessed with strawberry ice cream, how you still have an anatomy jane doll in your cupboard, how every night without fail you find yourself in your ratty old Dartmouth jumper. I love how your nose scrunches when you smile, I love how you snore in your sleep, I love how you cook despite how it tastes, I love everything about you Meredith. You're my past, present and my future. I want to spend the rest of my life with you, and die in your arms when we're 110.  Will you  make me the happiest brainless brain surgeon and marry me?"

Holy Shit I just did that."

Meredith's POV:

I don't even have to think twice, I know my answer.

"Of course, I'll marry you Derek. Oh how I love you!"

"I love you so much Meredith, I can't bare to be without you again."

Holy Shit I'm engaged.

Derek's POV:

Holy shit I'm engaged.

And I couldn't be happier

My three girls are my everything, my oxygen, my world, my universe.

The End.

Omg hi guys..... long time no see ....(please don't hate me) I swear to God I was planning to finish the story but life kinda happened and well  1 1/2 years later,  updating was the last thing on my mind. I hope you liked this final chapter  it may be helpful to reread previous chapters to refresh (it's been that long my bad :( 

anyhow I hoped you liked this story, i'm going to try and update my other ones and possibly post my draft story. 

I apologies for any mistakes in the story, if you find some clearly Grammarly didn't do it's job.

Have a wonderful Christmas 

love  you all xx

Vote/comment if you would like to x

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.9K 243 36
As a young women you will find your way in this world. You are working hard to make your dream come true and that's becoming a surgeon. Everything lo...
146K 2.4K 82
It's been 4 years since Dr Cristina Yang left Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital, it's been 4 years since Meredith lost her person, it's been 4 years since...
18.8K 768 30
When both Derek and Meredith are put in the running to become Chief of Surgery, they find one another in the intense chase for their dream career. Bu...
24.5K 530 22
Meredith fled Seattle once she discovered Derek chose Addison. 5 years passed since she left and she is back in Seattle for a few weeks for a case, b...